test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lostmauth's Vengeance changes

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User

Nerf the LM set, Buff the CWs. Period. Because it's not whining when people address that the LM set is essentially a big chunk of DPS of CWs. This is a REALLY REALLY SAD BUT TRUE fact. CWs are pigeonholed to a LM set. And if they nerf it now WITHOUT improvements to CWs, CWs will become the old HRs, not really welcomed in parties and even worse actually because CWs don't even have fox, CCing is pointless with un-CCable bosses and elite, the trash dies too fast in the hands of GWFs and SWs to need any CC even.

This is true, but you can't keep lol set the way it is now and try and balance things, because of how much it effects classes right now. And it may or may not take along time to balance classes. The alternative is to have CWs relying on this crutch forever (which i dont think will happen).

GWF damage also gets hit hard too which bring both classes down to HR/TR levels (who get brought down less so), I do have a feeling that CW will be lower or mid-tier of the group, but that is just speculation. tests need to be run first before any fixes can be proposed.

SW is likely going to be the 1# boss killer, but that class is such a janky mess full of buggy skills.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    grimah said:

Nerf the LM set, Buff the CWs. Period. Because it's not whining when people address that the LM set is essentially a big chunk of DPS of CWs. This is a REALLY REALLY SAD BUT TRUE fact. CWs are pigeonholed to a LM set. And if they nerf it now WITHOUT improvements to CWs, CWs will become the old HRs, not really welcomed in parties and even worse actually because CWs don't even have fox, CCing is pointless with un-CCable bosses and elite, the trash dies too fast in the hands of GWFs and SWs to need any CC even.

This is true, but you can't keep lol set the way it is now and try and balance things, because of how much it effects classes right now. And it may or may not take along time to balance classes. The alternative is to have CWs relying on this crutch forever (which i dont think will happen).

GWF damage also gets hit hard too which bring both classes down to HR/TR levels (who get brought down less so), I do have a feeling that CW will be lower or mid-tier of the group, but that is just speculation. tests need to be run first before any fixes can be proposed.

SW is likely going to be the 1# boss killer, but that class is such a janky mess full of buggy skills.
    CW will be 2nd worst dps, worst being OP.
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

lirithiel said:

lirithiel said:

lirithiel said:

asterotg said:

Two things to comment on here.

Why do you ask the community, when you ignore the majority vote?

Second thing is, that you should not 'fix' an effect, that contributed up to 40% of the dps of some classes and be done with it. Thats shortsighted, everything else I could say to discribe my opinion would be censored. Lets say my CW generated 40% of his dps from ELOL-set (I dont know, I dont use ATC). This is a 40% dmg nerf.

How about other classes. If the SW generates 10% from the set, he loses 10%. A good SW did 50%-100% more dmg than a similar geared CW, now its up to 200%, great balancing.

If GF and DC did not benefit from the set as much as CW, they might be better DDs, than the CW, with better group utility (buffs/ debuffs tank/heal).

I dont know, what exact effect this 'fix' will have, but I am sure, that this singular action will not balance anything.

Okay, firstly when you, as a CW, are using the Lostmauth set purely for its proc bonus, something is clearly wrong. Remind me again what a CWs main attributes are? Well I can tell you with all certainty it isn't DEX or STR, which guess what, the Lostmauth set provides. I will shed no tears for any class that has 'abused' this set over the mods and now has to replace it. This should have happened a long time ago and is a welcome change. No proc effect should be doing anywhere close to the damage Lostmauth set bonus did, maybe at most 10% of your total damage and that might even be too much.
    This argument is stupid and always has been. If the elol set bonus had been on the valindra set instead of the elol set, you would have been arguing the same thing, only about GWFs and using a set with intelligence. Furthermore, the elol set still has the best stats for CW, I will STILL use it post nerf, irrespective of the poor attributes, because it still grants the biggest dps boost off the power/crit/arp alone.

You choose to play archery or combat and thus you choose to have low damage, trapper still deals damage. How would you like it if there was literally no viable dps choice? CW was defined by the elol set, GWF was enhanced by it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong Sharp but doesn't the Black Ice set provide the exact same stat boost (Power/Crit/Arp)? And of course I'd be making the same argument because what is a GWF getting out of Intelligence when he would be better suited to taking an attribute that actually benefits the class. It would be akin to me as a HR taking CON and INT, which are both totally wasted. So no my argument makes total sense. The Lostmauth set was NOT MEANT for every DD class but because of the way it performed compared with the lack of alternatives it became the only option for most people.
    AND Constitution of coarse, because CW's really need a set that boosts HP.................
    I was referring to the Power/Crit/ArP spread that you pointed out was abundant on the Lostmauth set so I mentioned that those stats exist on Black Ice set too. CON, DEX, STR all not optimal for CW regardless.
    There is no point taking Bis et over elol set if they have same stats, for simple reason, Bi set will deal 2k dmg in total in whole dung, elol set will at least deal around 2k dmg on each crit.

That said even if for cw taking set with correct atributes would benefid in 5% dmg boost from all that additional INT/WIS whatever over elol set. CW still was getting around 40% of its dmg from elol set proc, so its =5% dmg taking set with right atributes, or +40% dmg taking elol set, difference is 35%, or elol set is 700% more effective.

Simply put, u need to look on atributes as boost to dmg, when u see couple right atributes is much more than pure dmg proc elol set is offering.

Easy, dont u think?

(Sin)cerely
    Kain
    But @zekethesinner you are talking about the current situation, where I am referring to the future once LM set is nerfed. @sharpedge said he would still take the LM set over any other which is why I mentioned the BI set as it is also laiden with Power/Crit/ArP.
    Im talking about current too, in first part of my post, elol et still will be 2k per critical hit, BI set will be 2k in total in whole elol. It will be rly small over all, i assume 2% max on cw/gwf, but be is still like 0.01%.

Imperial and Bi would make use of some buff.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited April 2016

scathias said:

But why, it works against you xd
    Srs tho now, if it breaks my gwf build completely, I'm just gonna cry in a corner.

your build is not broken completely. it just does less damage. you are spec'ed for crit and that will be good still
    Well that's exactly what I mean, my 2.6k gwf already has hard enough times, sometimes beating 3k HRs and sheet, sometimes having trouble with keeping up with 2.4k OPs or smth.
    Wonder if Lia will change the GWF build's set. I hope I'm right to doubt it.
    I don't believe in relying on something entirely and completely broken just to stay 'top' at something. GWF's are still going to be top DPS, just less broken ****. This is where learning how to play properly comes in, no bubble, no ridculous sources of damage, literally dodge red and perfect your routine. A lot of people are going to be mad disappointed when they find out they were over-relying on something that should have never been there in the first place without even realizing that ("LF1M HIGH GEARED OPTANK FOR CN" sounds familiar?)
    I strive for a challenging game where skill matters and not just gear/how much you paid for zen. I welcome the change, welcome back to team work and class roles.

As for my build, crit is STILL the way to go and the eLOL set is most likely still BIS for a GWF even if not 30% of your damage anymore. The nerf does open a door for people who would like to try out power builds, etc. I don't see it being extremely effective for a GWF at the moment for many reasons, so that's not an option right now.
    rinat114 said:

scathias said:

Srs tho now, if it breaks my gwf build completely, I'm just gonna cry in a corner.

your build is not broken completely. it just does less damage. you are spec'ed for crit and that will be good still
    Well that's exactly what I mean, my 2.6k gwf already has hard enough times, sometimes beating 3k HRs and sheet, sometimes having trouble with keeping up with 2.4k OPs or smth.
    I don't believe on relying in something entirely and completely broken just to stay 'top' at something. GWF's are still going to be top DPS, just less broken ****. This is where learning how to play properly comes in, no bubble, no ridculous sources of damage, literally dodge red and perfect your routine. A lot of people are going to be mad disappointed when they find out they were over-relying on something that should have never been there in the first place without even realizing that ("LF1M HIGH GEARED OPTANK FOR CN" sounds familiar?)
    I strive for a challenging game where skill matters and not just gear/how much you paid for zen. I welcome the change, welcome back to team work and class roles.

As for my build, crit is STILL the way to go and the eLOL set is most likely still BIS for a GWF even if not 30% of your damage anymore. The nerf does open a door for people who would like to try out power builds, etc. I don't see it being extremely effective for a GWF at the moment for many reasons, so that's not an option right now.
    I am betting on the SW doing more damage than you lia...I am betting on the SW :p
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User

rinat114 said:

scathias said:

I don't believe on relying in something entirely and completely broken just to stay 'top' at something. GWF's are still going to be top DPS, just less broken ****. This is where learning how to play properly comes in, no bubble, no ridculous sources of damage, literally dodge red and perfect your routine. A lot of people are going to be mad disappointed when they find out they were over-relying on something that should have never been there in the first place without even realizing that ("LF1M HIGH GEARED OPTANK FOR CN" sounds familiar?)

I am betting on the SW doing more damage than you lia...I am betting on the SW :p
    If those killing flames keep doing 47m hits on HAMSTER than yeah, for sure lmao
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    rinat114 said:

scathias said:

Well said Lia. At least common sense is still common for some people ;)
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    So does this mean that the SW and HRs are going to be proccing the set correctly now? Seeing as how they only procced on the first hit on any encounter didn't really make it a viable choice to begin with.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    Everyone knew this was coming... the set has been broken for months. And yet, those using it ranked it up anyway, and took advantage of the additional damage it was never intended to do. Nothing wrong with that, but to ask for compensation for it, now that they are fixing it... is just selfish. The set is still a good set even with the nerf.... its just not absurdly over the top like it was.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • karamekoskaramekos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts behind the proposed changes to Lostmauth's Vengeance. I apologize for the long post. I hope my response provides an alternative perspective on the proposed changes, however you'll need to run data analysis to determine factually if my perspective holds merit. My point of view is purely from the perspective that Lostmauth's Vengeance creates a positive financial impact to the game; my goal here is to have Neverwinter wildly successful from a financial perspective. I understand that the in-game experience and financial considerations do not always align, but I hope you'll analyze the data to confirm or deny my suspicion that Lostmauth's Vengeance has created a sustained positive financial impact to the game.

In your communication you write: "In its current state, it’s also one of the best choices for… well, just about everyone else."

From a consumer financial perspective, when you can create something that everyone must have, you're a genius. The fact that you've designed a set bonus that creates a condition whereby players set aside all other thoughts they might have and move definitively towards Lostmauth's Vengeance is pure genius. I see this set recommended in guides across the forums and third party websites; the Lostmauth's Vengeance "brand" and appeal is huge. Additionally, you've created something that has sustained value across multiple iterations of the game. Again, from a consumer consumption perspective, pure genius.

You additionally write: ".....which trivializes content by allowing people to defeat enemies much, much faster than expected."

If this type of experience is what people are willing to pay money to obtain, I would argue this is a great set of circumstances and further contributes to the bonus being pure genius from a consumer perspective. You've enabled people to have the experience they want and we need data to see if players are willing to pay for that.

Without hard data, however, I can't give you the facts. Here are some of the views I would want, again, to quantify the sustained positive financial impact of Lostmauth's Vengeance:

1. How many accounts that have characters benefitting from the Lostmauth's Vengeance mechanic have spent money on Neverwinter? In an idea analysis, I would want to see if the set required to receive the bonus was obtained within X period of time of putting real money into the game. In reading this specific thread, I see more than one example of a person who put money into the game specifically to obtain this bonus. As I stated above, I think you've created a "must have" that compels people so strongly that they're willing to pay real money.
    2. Do accounts with the Lostmauth's Vengeance stay attached to the game longer than accounts that do not obtain Lostmauth's Vengeance? Again, the question here is if the Lostmauth's Vengeance bonus increases player retention, i.e. they are having the gameplay experience they want.
    3. How many accounts have more than one character with the Lostmauth's Vengeance bonus? From a financial perspective I would love to see if cash entered the game as each character on the account acquired the Lostmauth's Vengeance bonus. The fact that you can sell somebody something not only once, but over and over again, only increases the value of that object. Again, pure consumer financial genius in my view.
    4. How early after the creation of a new account does money get spent to obtain the Lostmauth's Vengeance bonus? Once the marketing people do their job of driving new players to the game, we want them to spend money as soon as possible and if Lostmauth's Vengeance does this, again, well done.
    5. Just for the sake of curiosity, I would love to see the total cash input from accounts that do not have Lostmauth's Vengeance versus those accounts that do have Lostmauth's Vengeance.

Again, I realize designing the game experience and financial results do not always align and sometimes those two must be weighed against each other. In my view I've attempted to propose that from consumer financial perspective Lostmauth's Vengeance, in it's current state, is pure genius and has sustained positive financial impact. Changes to Lostmauth's Vengeance would have a net negative financial impact to the game which is contradictory to my goal of having Neverwinter wildly successful from a financial perspective. Again, however, you'll need to turn to the data to investigate this perspective. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and your consideration.
  • raymond00713raymond00713 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    That isn't a fix. They are just trying to find a way to get you to invest in something else. The next step, if this doesn't work, is to render the set obsolete by bringing in more powerful combinations.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Christ!

Are people really thinking that CWs are not DPS anymore?

I'm sorry, I have to go to laugh now for half of an hour.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    Has anyone tested if the Lostmauth's non critical hit activates owlbear cub's active bonus?
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    yes you will do in full buff pt 1M+ disintegrate and you will cry because you will not have an extra buffed lostmauth hit BE REAL. AND if you are aoe spec then use aoe spells vs the boss noone force you go single target play your builds on their full potential.
    I GUESS many of you play renegade. what else you want ? you have nightmare wizardry-phantasmal destruction- chaotic capstone- uncertain allegiance - FEAT when you critical you get ap with 10 sec cooldown and only you buff yourself but also your allies is enough isnt it ? for max damage go thauma with icy veins- spell twisting is simple...............
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    Wizards were not changed at all, just a piece of equipment. And if that really contributes to the wizard so much that the class is "useless" without it, then this piece of equipment was definetly not balanced. That argument just makes this change even more necessary.
    But all classes are hit anyway. Warlocks might only lose 10% damage from the set trigger itself, but losing the soul spark buildup from the lostmauth crits will hit them just as hard. Everyone will lose power so that content can stay relevant.
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    Hmm. From POV of a 3.1k CW, Mod6's insanity is what forced most of us into lostmauth set (and more specifically, ironzerg's Renegade CW build). I was a 2k Thaumaturge through mod5 (and happily so), then found I couldn't solo anything in mod6 until I rebuilt as a fast-ticking losty/renegade CW.

So, my build is based on this mechanic, not because I wanted to be OP, but because I _couldn't play solo_ without it in mod6.
    Once Mod6 got nerfed back to mod5 difficulty, I stuck with the build because it was fun to solo to the 10- and 15-man HEs. I'm relatively okay having to rebuild every few mods and learn a new play-style. (might even be fun.)

CW is supposed to be a DPS class (damage is what fills our AP meter, not control). I hope we will still have a route to be competitive as DPS...right now, I do up to 45M in eLol and 80M in eTos when I'm the DPS member. When there's a GWF as DPS, he does 60M/150M, and I do 7M/15M respectively. So its not just about damage, but the _speed at which that damage can be delivered_. My ticking damage takes time...and the GWF is very effective at killing everything in the room before I get a handful of ticks.

The losty nerf will definately degrade our effectiveness as DPS relative to GWF...this is okay. But it does seem inconsistent with the message from the "state of the game" post...wherein it was stated that balance would be addressed holistically, and not piecemeal. This change seems very piecemeal, in that it doesn't address CW or GWF, but focuses on a specific item.
    edited April 2016

yes you will do in full buff pt 1M+ disintegrate and you will cry because you will not have an extra buffed lostmauth hit BE REAL. AND if you are aoe spec then use aoe spells vs the boss noone force you go single target play your builds on their full potential.
    I GUESS many of you play renegade. what else you want ? you have nightmare wizardry-phantasmal destruction- chaotic capstone- uncertain allegiance - FEAT when you critical you get ap with 10 sec cooldown and only you buff yourself but also your allies is enough isnt it ? for max damage go thauma with icy veins- spell twisting is simple...............

Although I agree with you to an extent, there i little to no use of a full AOE CW unless you want to finish some CN corridors in 10 sec instead of 20 sec. I'm a full AoE CW (no focused Wizardry) and I outDPS all FW-based CWs in my power range. They can't come close. Period. But boss-wise? I can't outDPS them with AoE spells because that' not how it works, ok? :D
    So, for instance, Kessel's run? I'm at top. VT run? All the way up to Valindra herself. eLoL run? Not a chance unless I hit all the little mobs at the start of the map and really hurt the scorpions. There are no dungeons which optimize the AOE CW's potential. Spellplague was one of them. Too bad it doesn't exist now. Old CN was one of them. Right now? Meh.
    I wish to have a dungeon with HORDES OF ENEMIES. I would enjoy it so much.
    Regardless, CWs really are under-powered and without this set that will come up to the surface now. So, we can expect some CW changes.
    I'd personally completely disable spell twisting because the feat is so good that you're bound to take it. That is why I didn't take it. Not only that, but it makes all the Recovery gear completely useless for any PvE CW.
    True Neutral

Although I agree with you to an extent, there i little to no use of a full AOE CW unless you want to finish some CN corridors in 10 sec instead of 20 sec. I'm a full AoE CW (no focused Wizardry) and I outDPS all FW-based CWs in my power range. They can't come close. Period. But boss-wise? I can't outDPS them with AoE spells because that' not how it works, ok? :D
    Regardless, CWs really are under-powered and without this set that will come up to the surface now. So, we can expect some CW changes.
    I'd personally completely disable spell twisting because the feat is so good that you're bound to take it. That is why I didn't take it. Not only that, but it makes all the Recovery gear completely useless for any PvE CW.
    We need to run something you and I so I can show you how dps on CW looks.
    We can't. Shadowtouched OP. :p
    True Neutral
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just analyzed some log data in ACT.

My character
    renegade MoF CW with swath of destruction, chilling presence, and perfect plague fire
    conduit of ice (tab) + fanning the flame + icy terrain + disintegrate + scorching burst + furious immolation
    tested on 3 target dummies.

Before nerf:
    Lostmauth's vengeance = 29% of all damage

After nerf:
    Lostmauth's vengeance = 12% of all damage

I will continue to use the Lostmauth set, unless the new CN set is better.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29vmh5z&s=9
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    sangrine said:

I just analyzed some log data in ACT.

My character
    renegade MoF CW with swath of destruction, chilling presence, and perfect plague fire
    conduit of ice (tab) + fanning the flame + icy terrain + disintegrate + scorching burst + furious immolation
    tested on 3 target dummies.

Before nerf:
    Lostmauth's vengeance = 29% of all damage

After nerf:
    Lostmauth's vengeance = 12% of all damage

I will continue to use the Lostmauth set, unless the new CN set is better.

I would counter that even 12% is a little too much. Nothing that procs for free damage should ever EVER deal more than 5-10% of one's total damage. Bad design leads to the current situation CWs find themselves in.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.