test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what exactly is HDPS?

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited March 2016 in PvE Discussion
So, I think its time this question was asked...what exactly is high dps? I see groups in lfg, in zerg channels, in elitist pve channels etc asking for hdps, but I have never seen a definitive, non opinionated definition of what this counts as.

What people seem to mean is 1 of the following things:
1) Someone who does more or equal to damage than the person asking.
2) Someone with high item level.
3) Someone who can carry a group.
4) Someone who knows how to play their toon.
5) Someone who knows how to run ahead and cheese paingiver.

The issue with all of the above definitions is the following:
1) Some of them are subjective, for example, what 1 person might consider as being able to carry a group doesn't necessarily count as what another person counts as being able to carry a group.
2) Some of these pointers assume that every player knows each other, for example, the first requirement assumes that every player knows how much damage the person asking for high dps does, so that they can then compare themselves against that and then know if they meet that persons' requirements.
3) These requirements are all arbitrary, a group with lower item level players with a proper group composition with buffers etc will be faster than 1 filled with pure dps.

So I propose the following:
To all of those of you asking for high dps, how about you define it in a very specific way, to a number. For example, if your toon is 3k+ of a specific class, you have to do more than 100k dps on ACT, or if you are another class, you have to do more dps than 150k. If you are going to use "high dps" as a group requirement, at least make the requirement meaningful, because as it stands, it is completely meaningless.

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I'm pretty certain that it means a DPSer who can carry a group.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Yep, carry a group. My experience suggests that for most DPS types, properly built and played, this will occur in the 3k ilvl neighborhood for most content. My 2.9k TR can carry a group through things like Malabog's and eToS (this one helps to have a good tank/buffer, as the bosses hit like trucks in wide arcs), but might not be good enough for eGWD (I've basically never tried). He's topped paingiver in eDemo runs that were smooth and easy. My 2.7k GWF can carry a group through similar content. Around the 3.5k region seems to be where people get close to basically soloing such content, based on what I've witnessed (I don't have any toons that high). Of course the ilvl makes implicit assumptions about companions: most people will have set up a well-stat'd ioun stone or even bonding companion by the time they get around the 3k benchmark. If you focus your entire wealth into ilvl, and ignore the companion part of things, your results will likely be noticeably different. New mount features alter things a bit, as well, but since we're still settling into that and people are still playing around with what's "BiS" there, I don't have much to say on it.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    its ppl with 60 70 % base crtic chance + rank 12 bondings+ p vorpal
  • romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    If Im looking for a hdps in lfg, I expect that person to know that he is capable of dealing more than enough dps compared to the content we are about to run so we can finish it in a timely manner. High dps usually means that the person is experienced, has a competitive attitude and a strong build and a well-geared character. I think the definition of "high dps" includes all of the points listed by @thefabricant above + competitive spirit. Therefore someone asking for "hDPS" and not specifying it, also helps said person to find someone with common sense, who is experienced and competitive enough to know what "hDPS" means.
  • bawzdeepbawzdeep Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Hdps = Buffs from @thefabricant.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    high dps.

I assume 3k atleast, lostmauth and perfect vorpal or similar.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    "LFG hDPS" is a marketing trick of people who want to get invited into a dungeon run. ;)
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User

If Im looking for a hdps in lfg, I expect that person to know that he is capable of dealing more than enough dps compared to the content we are about to run so we can finish it in a timely manner. High dps usually means that the person is experienced, has a competitive attitude and a strong build and a well-geared character. I think the definition of "high dps" includes all of the points listed by @thefabricant above + competitive spirit. Therefore someone asking for "hDPS" and not specifying it, also helps said person to find someone with common sense, who is experienced and competitive enough to know what "hDPS" means.

Problem is, both actual hDPS and ppl like mama.san thinks they r hDPS. U dont know until u try them out.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• mattia78mattia78 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I think they mean point 3 & 5 in your list Sharp.
    A) cause they're lazy and taking 15 mins instead of 10 doing a dungeon is unacceptable;
    B) their item level is low and their skill is even lower, like the 2.6k guy looking for 3k+ (or even more) to run elol . Like ppl I remember with the old gear score system asking for 20k+ for FH....
    C) they like to compare their dps to the one of the Hdps and say "i'm close to the big guy, that means i'm better than him." or "the big guy tripled my dmg, but of course he's way better geared than me"

Personally every time i see ppl asking for Hdps i laugh at them.
    404 Italians Not Found Guild Leader
    Matt Shieldheart 3.5k GF Conq PVE _ Matt Shieldheart 0 3.5k GF Tactician PVE _ Matt Shieldheart II 4.1k Buffer DC _ Matt Shieldheart III 4.3k Thauma CW _ Matt Shieldheart IV 3.5k Exe TR _ Matt Shieldheart V 3.9k Destroyer GWF _ Matt Shieldheart VI 3.1k Trapper HR _ Matt Shieldheart VII 3.1k Fury SW _ Matt ShieldheartVIII 3.6k OP Justice _ Matt Shieldheart -8 3.1k Healadin _ Matt Shieldheart -9 3.1k Mof Rene CW
  • itblsitbls Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    #3 in my book
    #2 in pugs world

funny when people do #5 againts me and end up at 2nd when we hit bosses
  • fuglymookfuglymook Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    A person in LFG channel asking for HDPS usually is a terribad player looking for group to get them an easy completion/loot. A true HDPS player is only in LFG channel to fill out party and will take any warm body so they can queue.
  • romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    fuglymook said:

A person in LFG channel asking for HDPS usually is a terribad player looking for group to get them an easy completion/loot. A true HDPS player is only in LFG channel to fill out party and will take any warm body so they can queue.

This man here knows whatsup.
  • neverwinterdevilneverwinterdevil Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    it can also mean a player who comes first in paingiver ( 90% of the time ) just because he is skilled and he is recognized by others for knowing how to make the most out of his class.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    Hdps=Horne Damage per second. :)
  • flehstifferflehstiffer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    People used to always ask for high gear players, back in the day it was 15k+ GS and 18k+ GS and then 2.8k+ ilvl and 3k+ ilvl. But there are so many factors that this doesn't consider. For example, stronghold boons can give an extra 16k stat to a toon, and mount s another 4k, so if you compare say, 2 gwf,same build but one is from gutbusters guild and has 4k stat mount, he could have higher DPS at 2k ilvl then a 3k ilvl gwf with no guild and blue mounts. Thus ilvl isn't really a good indication of dps and people just ask for high DPS.

When I hear people ask for hdps, I always assume they are looking for someone who is more of a benefit to the group then a hindrance.
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    When i ask for Hdps, i mean #4, cause #3 comes along with #4. If someone knows how to play their character, then they themselves should know if they can carry a team. Now, i have had some people who said they were hdps, but when we ran they failed to meet my expectations, i do tell them that sorry, for me, you are not considered hdps, and thank him for coming but i need to find another for the next run. Some get offended and put me on ignore, but hey, that's not my loss. I try to be nice, but you can't please everyone.

Then there are those that keep claiming they are hdps after explicitly trying to explain to them that they are not in my books, so yeah i too rarely put ignorant people on ignore.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    ONLY act can show who did the most damage. IF a monster has 100k hp the Person who hit first for 80k will paingiver: 80k. If an another guy come to hit the monster at 20k hp even if he hit for 1m damage paingiver will show : 20k. ONly combat log or act will show 1m.
    Thats why you see poeple run front the faster deal the most paingiver damage.
    BOSses are real competition since they have high hp.

LOoking for the highest damage dealer for faster runs ?:) i can be opressor and invite: op with aura of courage gf with into the fray 2 dc to stack buffs here is my fast run.
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    If party ask HDPS, it may mean the party is low-mid-gear (1.8-2.5).

It may flatter some invited players, but sometimes requires patience and attitude, in low gs party it is not DPS a main problem, but lack of properly working tank and healer roles. Party instead of invite second DC or GF to address survival and boost party DPS, expect some HDPS to solve all their problems.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    dfnce said:

If party ask HDPS, it may mean the party is low-mid-gear (1.8-2.5).

It may flatter some invited players, but sometimes requires patience and attitude, in low gs party it is not DPS a main problem, but lack of properly working tank and healer roles. Party instead of invite second DC or GF to address survival and boost party DPS, expect some HDPS to solve all their problems.

In their defense, a high ilvl GWF usually doesn't need the rest of the party at all. Maybe against bosses like Valindra, just to break him out of the occasional phantom claw.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    fuglymook said:

yep. B)
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    "LF1M AP DC AP gain >70%"
    In Pink: "From [A]: TR 2.3 HDPS. Inv me"

This is another frequent case XD . Need whatever is not dps and people proposing HDPS.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    Buffing and Debuffing with certain classes can make things easier/faster- even if they don't provide amazing damage per second. With the right buffs you can run dungeons super fast using only one or two really high DPS in a dungeon. An understanding of game mechanics means more to me than gear or item level.

I dunno- I never ask for this when I make parties. I'll pretty much run with whomever wants to come in my friends list/guild provided the support aspect is taking care of- usually by me. -shrug- I don't pug or look in LFG ever actually- unless Legit chat counts as LFG..
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    They are losing more time to find that hdps than to try to form a right pt. AND looking for the hdps is not the right way.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    When we ran EDeomo with buff GF, CW and DC, we looked for hdps. Got a 4k SM GWF, who was outdpsed by the CW and the DC by miles.

A friend claimed, that his 2.5k GWF is hdps, but even as a good player, he does ca. 50% of the dmg my 3.1 GWF does and a good SW or GWF deals even more. Hdps is subjective in most chases. In my book hdps are some SWs, some GWFs and a few TRs.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    HDPS is the combined buffs and debuffs from a good GF and DC combo
  • cesoso55cesoso55 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Some people think that you need to be a dps focused class (gwf, sw) with at least 3k gs (3.3k gs for tr hr and cw), all boons, companions, legendary artifacts, etc; to be Hdps, But play style is even more significant for dps, I have seen 2.5k gs gwf doing more dps than 4k gs gwf using the same build because they play more aggresive running ahead with sprint doing the first aoe attacks and debuffs which make some significant diference. The main diference between a well built 4k dps build and a 2.5k build is the survivality with life steal and defense and movement speed, but on hit dmg is not more than 50% if you already have the right companions, weapon enchantment, equipment and weapon sets, mount and boons (at 2.5k gs you can already have more than 65% crit chance and capped resistance ignored on gwf, missing only around 35% crit chance and some power from 4k gs build).

The truth is that you don't need more than 2.5k gs on well built dps to complete t2 dungeons with a decent party composition that knows how to tank and survive the dungeon.
  • willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    hdps is lazy writing by the lfg nation.
    It means a big (3-3,5+) GWF as in current state of the game can do 2-3 times better than other dps classes like HR/CW/TR.

Sometimes it can mean SW or a big CW.
    Typically exludes TRs and HRs because they are always suspcious to be rolled only for pvp if you see a 3-3,5k+ one.
  • blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Hdps? Simple...no CW. B)
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Highly Disappointing Party Surprise !
    Heavy Dwarf Procurement Service ?! - Must be a great tanking companion, I see people look for it all the time.
    Herbal Delight Peppy Syrup.
  • willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    blinxon said:

Hdps? Simple...no CW. B)

Do you think you are funny? The state of pve balance in this mmo is embarrassing...