test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coupons, Coupons and more Coupons

mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
Anyone else noted the HUGE increase in coupons given at invoking since about a week after the "Great Coal Ward Shafting of 2106". Is it me or do businesses normally push discounts hard when sales are down? Not a revelation but a simple observation.

Comments

• urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    I want MORE Coupons.

The soften the Coal ward Blow...

I think it is a nice gesture

And

BTW I have not noticed an increase
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    Coupons are just trick to lure you to buy something you don't need, just because it is cheaper.
    mmm1001 said:

Coupons are just trick to lure you to buy something you don't need, just because it is cheaper.

And it works on me for refining stuff

• mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    I have no clue as to what extent they mine their data, but if they were smart, and I have to think they would be on this, they would see that in my case I have gone from regularly spending $100+/month to nothing. Again if they were smart, they would be trying to get me back into spending my money with them. This would make sense to me, but I am just not sure they look at accounts that granular. (Thus me getting tons of coupons). Just thinking out loud.

I have no clue as to what extent they mine their data, but if they were smart, and I have to think they would be on this, they would see that in my case I have gone from regularly spending $100+/month to nothing. Again if they were smart, they would be trying to get me back into spending my money with them. This would make sense to me, but I am just not sure they look at accounts that granular. (Thus me getting tons of coupons). Just thinking out loud.

good thought

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

I guess if you are not spending, they want to give you coupons so that you can spend.
    If you are spending, they want to reward you by giving you coupons for the appreciation of your money.
    So, in both case, everybody get a lot of coupons. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    There is a 25% chance for an invoke bag to drop a coupon. This means sometimes you get lots and sometimes you get few. That is all. The drop rate is low enough that any bag is more likely to not yield a coupon than to do so, but high enough that they still drop very often.

Every time someone says "I get more/less coupons now that blahblahblah", it is just magical thinking and nothing more.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Cool.. I am magical
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    In short, RNGesus at work.

And no, i haven't noticed any increase... it's the same with C. wards from coffers, sometimes they drop, sometimes they don't drop. And only because you're now paying more attention to something dropping or not, doesn't mean that they have increased the drop rate of that item.

"Onyxia is deep breathing more"
    comes to mind...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    Similar here. A 40% off key used to get me to spend. 15% off any item almost always got me to buy 10 keys. Their strategy has resulted in me only buying a key with a 40% off coupon now. Never 10 keys the value is diminished. I can't believe I'm alone on this. I won't buy a 10 dollar (or even 8.50) coal ward. So as far as marketing to people like me they have reduced my spend.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Why even go for a key with a 40% discount? That would still be 75 ZEN per key.
    It would be better to go right for ViP during a 50% sale, or when you have a 15% discount coupon for any item...

But you're right, my money is going into other games as well at the moment, it doesn't matter how many coupons and/or sales they throw at me - i will just continue to ignore them.
    I'm still supporting the game via ViP, but unless they are going to turn around and improve ViP fast, even that will end at some point.

Their statement on having no plans on improving ViP (=longterm relationship with customers) doesn't help increasing trust either...

I only wish we could donate those coupons to our Stronghold coffer, and then start building a yellow-brick road around the castle. ;)
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Cryptic target is new players who will (like you did) spend X$ a month until they stop. For 1 people who stops spending money, how many start ? We will never know, but according to the decisions taken, they have more money spent by new players...
  • hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    cambo1682 said:

Similar here. A 40% off key used to get me to spend. 15% off any item almost always got me to buy 10 keys. Their strategy has resulted in me only buying a key with a 40% off coupon now. Never 10 keys the value is diminished. I can't believe I'm alone on this. I won't buy a 10 dollar (or even 8.50) coal ward. So as far as marketing to people like me they have reduced my spend.

Spot on.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

cambo1682 said:

Spot on.
    As for the keys, the individual packages have become more useful, but there is rarely a GREAT! item that can be sold for good AD or kept as a real prize. They've done away with spamming Elemtal Evil Troves and have made all lockboxes a little better than mediocre. I appreciate the enchants and runes are more appropriate to the times, however.