test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About the Losthmauth set debate and the new Owlbear companion

nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
edited January 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi everyone,

I'm the only one thinking about all this debate about if the Lostmauth set needs some adjustments when they have just added the new Owlbear companion which has the potential to be even more OP than Lostmauth set?

Any mid player with just free T2 equipment, Radiant 10, purple twisted weapons and purple power artifacts (yes, that's only level 60) can stack 40K Power on his own, not taking any buffs into account.
So that will be 20K extra damage per hit, not taking any buff into account.
And yes, we are using the pet as invoked pet, if we use another one with bonding enchants, we use better runes and enchants, better equipment and fully upgraded artifacts and artifact equipment set the numbers before buffs is crazy. Than just add DC and OP buffs and the numbers just skyrocket B)B)B)

If we use this all with a Trapper HR which has perma encounter things can get really hot here at the forums :D:D:D

PS: (added this comment) I'm mostly referring to PVP because at PVE most people want content cleared as fast as possible because, you know, that thing called party.

Owlbear Cub
Augment, rank= 1
image Binds on Equip

Hit Points:10
Power:12
Critical Strike12
Armor Penetration:12

Active Bonus: On Encounter Use
 If you fail to critically hit, do an additional hit for damage equal to 50% of your Power.
  Applies to you as long as this companion is active.
Powers:

Adorability
imageOffense Slot: No Runestone

Item Slots: Talisman, Ring, Ring

Sword Coast Adventures Proficiency:
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageThis orphaned baby animal was rescued from the wild and then magically altered to be even more adorable, and colorful as well!

Post edited by nisckis on

Comments

• Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    By all accounts, Owlbear damage isn't as over-the-top as many were expecting.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    So, with owlbear, if I don't crit, and I have 21K power as a base, a simple hit will produce a second hit for 10.5K? I understand you are saying buffs will make this exponentially higher....
  • Options
    thestiathestia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Except that buffs don't apply to this damage and it's a flat 50% of your power.

Secondly, a player would have to spec out of the meta of high crit, and spend 2 million on a pet. The best way to take advantage of this pet would be to keep it only for its active bonus and use a legendary lightfoot/drow mercenary/zentarim warlock with high level bonding stones. All of this takes this pet out of reach for optimal use for your average player.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    To add here, the owlbear pet only procs on the initial tick of a power, does not multi proc and is not affected by buffs/debuffs.
    If you use a AoE power the owlbear will proc on everyone the AoE hits initially but will not trigger after that.

So it is a decent damage boost for some encounter dependent classes but in no way is it going to replace lostmauth
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I want to see data of how owlbear cub works. What mentioned above is (partially) not the case in my test. But I am not 100% sure about my test, so I will not say it works in one way or the other.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    Just as a side note, has anyone missed the buffs that increase power? I think so.
  • Options
    lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    Bottom line: AH prices on the owlbear cub are going down instead of up.

That tells you all you need to know about how it tracks against a Lostmauth/Crit build.
    If you've been around, you know that the price would be skyrocketing if this was "The New OP Thing".

Personally, I do keep one active, as it seems to be better than the companion it replaced. The best thing, personally, is that I love the owlbear, and would happily run the cub as my active augment, if they nerf the proccing of pet bonding stones at some point.
    A really nice companion :)
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    I'm using this companion on my Trapper HR. During an average Demogorgon run, Lostmauth still outperforms it. I'm running at about 30k power self-buffed, in combat. Once you start adding all the other stuff people throw at you, Infantile Compensation is about 3-5% of my damage.

I'll toss in some parses tomorrow. It's nothing too OP.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    jaegernl said:

I'm using this companion on my Trapper HR. During an average Demogorgon run, Lostmauth still outperforms it. I'm running at about 30k power self-buffed, in combat. Once you start adding all the other stuff people throw at you, Infantile Compensation is about 3-5% of my damage.

I'll toss in some parses tomorrow. It's nothing too OP.

30K only? With Radiants 10 and purple equipment you should be at 40K.

By the way, I'm not speaking about just putting this companion, I'm speaking about using a dedicated build for maximum use of the pet.

Anyway, the problem should never be PVE as everyone should want the content cleared as fast as possible. The problem should be, and it is, PVP where a dedicated build will shine :)
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    since the pet will not work in pvp, even if it was OP who would nerf their pvp build to capatilize on a niche PVE build? So even if it was as good as people had hoped it still wouldn't be as versatile as the LM set and therefore wouldn't replace it.
  • Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    To avoid confusion. GWF get 20% max defense stat as power stat if they choose the correct feat. It is not automatic.
  • Options
    blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    vida44 said:

To avoid confusion. GWF get 20% max defense stat as offense stat if they choose the correct feat. It is not automatic.

+25% of recovery and armorpenetration. Which is basically taken in every build.
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.