test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I want to fight Dinosaurs

reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
Hi guys, anyone feel like fighting dinosaurs instead of demons? I like the concept of fighting dinosaurs because this game is suppose to be family friendly, excessive content of demon fighting is not exactly family friendly and legit. What do you guys think, anyone want to fight dinosaurs?

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

I fail to see how killing a "mindless" animal is more family friendly than killing a demon...

You not likely to get your point across, even though you are correct :p
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    its family friendly as in its doesn't have overall graphic content.. you know.. ripped up carcasses skewered after fights, with guts and junk of that nature.. nor is it overtly sexual in its nature.

That said, I would never let me kids play this game unsupervised.. the few times Ive let them.. Ive turned off chat completely..

Its not the game I would worry about .. its the people =P

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    While I think I can understand the reasons why you would rather kill dinosaurs, I do not see this actually happening in this game. This game is based on Forgotten Realms D&D, and while I have not yet read all the books, I'm pretty sure there are no dinosaur type creatures. Dragons - yes, dinosaurs - no. So I would say the chances of them putting dinosaurs in Neverwinter are slim to none.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

its family friendly as in its doesn't have overall graphic content.. you know.. ripped up carcasses skewered after fights, with guts and junk of that nature.. nor is it overtly sexual in its nature.

That said, I would never let me kids play this game unsupervised.. the few times Ive let them.. Ive turned off chat completely..

Its not the game I would worry about .. its the people =P

Come on silver...I am not that bad :p
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    It's a UNIX system! I know this!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

While I think I can understand the reasons why you would rather kill dinosaurs, I do not see this actually happening in this game. This game is based on Forgotten Realms D&D, and while I have not yet read all the books, I'm pretty sure there are no dinosaur type creatures. Dragons - yes, dinosaurs - no. So I would say the chances of them putting dinosaurs in Neverwinter are slim to none.

Chult has dinosaurs. You can have a dino animal companion for your ranger in Neverwinter Nights 2 if you have the 2nd expansion.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Axebeaks are birds, and birds are dinosaurs, but I'd rather fight pedants.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, there was a whole ecology back in the day on dinosaurs in the Realms. They do exist and in massive numbers, just not in the Faerûn region. All the myriad of species we know in our real world history exist in the Realms, thriving in such places like the Jungles of Chult, Maztica, and on other Continents of Toril as well as various locations in Realmspace. I also recall reading that they thrive in various regions of Abeir as well.

Dinosaurs finding their way into Faerûn via importation wouldn't be that hard to imagine, for we already have creatures from such regions, namely our tiger and leopard mounts from the southern Chult region of the same continent Faerûn is on. Them finding their way into Faerûn in abundance for hunting however would be far-fetched or something of a luxury devised by a mad mage or magic-rich game hunter, instead seen only in Zoos or as familars or pets - like what we see in Neverwinter Nights 2.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've been wanting to kill animals from natural history, as a sport and conservation effort. We cannot let too many Indominus Rex's muck up the countryside, for example.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    naw.. wasnt pointing to any one in particular..

but its expected that its adult, so sometimes adult conversations come up.. thats why I turn off chats.

Plus the random zone insults that pop up.. no reason to pass on that drivel to impressionable minds.

That being said, Im a advocate for limited gaming.. (not of course as much as I do it) but a few mins here and there, provides some cognitive benefits.. as shown by many studies, as long as its limited to about a hour a day or so.

I just limit my kids comp /tablet/tv time to about a hour or so on most days.. other then special movie days or something. So its thier choice on what they want do with it.. its mostly tablets.. then 1 30 mins show or so.

I screen all content they play.. and have locked out all tablets to limited kid searches, they do not have a open browser, when they want to see something, they can ask.

This is something we learned from other parents with kids, who made mistakes by allowing open ended digital entertainment.

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    Soon people will be asking to fight a Tarrasque...

I'd rather be fighting some classic D&D monsters:
    - Umber hulk
    - Xorn
    - Hook horror
    - Purple worm
    - Mynocid
    - Displacer beast
    - Water weird
    - Green slime

It's only too bad that Keep on the Borderlands is in Mystara instead of Abeir-Toril. That module gave you a better taste of being out in wild lands.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I want a hook horror as a companion. One that was a pech before it was a hook horror would be fine. If it happened once, it could happen again. :D
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    reposterzreposterz Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    I am glad some of you want to fight dinosaurs than demons, hope this gets more support.
  • Options
    I want Genasi as a playable race, while we are talking about things we want added. Also, I am happy I was wrong about there not being dinosaurs in D&D lore. If we can't kill them, can we at least get a dino mount? :D That would be awesome too!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016

zebular said:

Dinosaurs finding their way into Faerûn via importation wouldn't be that hard to imagine,

Do we have characters called Rubeus Hagrid on Faerun? Who else in his right mind would import dinosaurs just for the fun of it? xD
    Tigers, leopards... ok. They can be tamed. But dinosaurs? Apart from perhaps a domesticated elephantine creature, I don't see how you can tame a dinosaur, unless your name is Hagrid of course. And suppose you would manage to drive a pack of them across the continent to Faerun, what would you do with them? Keep them as pets and call the first female born on Faerun ground Norbert?
    Taking out of contexts but I'll bite.... Like most creatures, you can tame them depending on age and method, magical or mundane. There is already a precedence for it in canon lore (Neverwinter Night 2, Elminster's Ecologies, and so on) anyway and animal taming, handling, and the like do not exclude dinosaurs. Back in context of my post, as I conveyed, in the Faerûn region it is unlikely but not impossible. In the Faerûn region, taming them has already been done but not in any abundance of note beyond a bard's tale, if you will.

The farther south you go into the Sharreach and beyond into Chult, the more you will see them and then they will become somewhat more common place as pets, beasts of burden, and familiars but not quite as common as the Faerûn's domestics. Keep in perspective too, for it would be wildly rare to see a domesticated T-Rex for example, and even then I doubt such would be truly domesticated without magical aid. It would be more like a massive lion back in the Roman era on a chain, where anyone nearby is subject to instantly being eaten if it gets pissed or just wishes. With such as a T-Rex, the danger would be far greater.

Then you have the whole Saurian race, a race of intelligent dinosaur humanoids who do live in Faerûn, just to the west of the Dalelands nestled between Shadowdale and where the Aunoroch desert used to be. These creatures are known for having small and medium sized dinosaurs as pets, familiars and domesticated beasts of burden (not livestock). So, while you won't find an array of dinosaurs in the small hidden valley of the Lost Vale, you will find them in a very small number as domesticaled pets and for farming or transportion.

• Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    reposterz said:

I am glad some of you want to fight dinosaurs than demons, hope this gets more support.

Wanting to fight dinosaurs doesn't mean we don't like fighting demons, I love the big piggy! :)
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    becareful, from a movie, Sound of Thunder, about "Butterfly Effect Theory", oh wait, that is another topic, sorry....

i had to say that, for humor.
  • Options
    ultradd#1718 ultradd Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I want to kill both dinos and demons, can't we just get both :P.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    zebular said:

instead seen only in Zoos or as familars or pets - like what we see in Neverwinter Nights 2.

I see what you did there...

While you try to subtly "throw shade" at Neverwinter Nights 2, it actually has dinos as a standard enemy monster while in Chult. The Chult native druid who worships Ubtao ("The Father of the Dinosaurs" whose portfolio includes native Chultans forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ubtao) has a small dino as a companion, something that is lore appropriate and not a "pet".
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    But aren't dragons dinosaurs?
    Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    kreatyve said:

You shoud inform your self : Dinos exist in forgottenrealms!
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chult

I dont belive in orcs and beholders so they dont exsist in realms to.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    That's the way Forgotten Realms (FR)was designed, whatever fantasy setting you want, whatever monster you want to fight, whatever mythology you want to explore, it's there, somewhere in FR. If one area or style wasn't to your taste you party just adventured in another direction.(Some DMs and parties needed very direct steering)
    Imo there's a too much steampunk and High fantasy being emphasized but, there's always somewhere of interest to me, now if only we could explore all these places in NWO...
    (BTW the best thing they did with Maztica was a drop a rock on it)