test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starting Neverwinter

Hello,

Recently downloaded Neverwinter for the Xbox One and I literally know about as much as Jon Snow. (Nothing.)

So thought that it might be a good idea to post here first. Firstly, I am aware that you have to pay to restat? Which obviously means I want to get my build right first time or at least valid.

Therefore if anyone is able to point me in the right direction of a build that is relatively easy for a new player then that would be great. The class doesn't really matter as my first character as it will be a somewhat "tester" character.

Meaning that it will be used to just play the game and try out most if not all of the game content, so that I have better knowledge of the game with my second character.

Keep in mind that the only thing that really matters about the build is whether it is like I said relatively easy for a new player such as myself, so builds which require money or the know how to get certain gear will be next to useless to me.

As far as preference goes, I usually always end up solo in games as I simply find it hard to make friends to do stuff with therefore the build should be viable at solo play but not completely useless in groups. (Do enjoy going support and tanking roles in games, especially healers but like I said, I find it hard to group up so end up solo and most of support classes and such lack the DMG.)

Obviously this might be asking for too much, so again as long as I won't struggle following the build then nothing else really matters.

Anyway, that would be really appreciated and helpful however if you're unable to provide a build then any tips, tricks, and general advice about Neverwinter would be much welcome and appreciated just as much.

Thank you for your time, whether you comment or not.

Comments

• wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Just so you know you do not have to technically "pay" to respec your character. Yes it does cost 500 Zen and you can buy Zen with real money. But you can earn Astral Diamonds (AD) from various ways in the game which you can then convert to Zen and use to buy a respec token.

Same goes with everything in the game, you do not have to purchase anything if you spend your AD wisely. But if you want to speed things up you can pay real money to do that kind of thing.

You can also pick up tokens and other items during a sale which makes them cheaper than normal, or when you invocate (after a certain level) you sometimes get a % off voucher to use in the Zen store, make sure you make good use of that if you do spend Zen on anything. Also some Zen store packs are worth getting, quite a few come with a respec token and bags for inventory space.

Lastly I would not waste Zen on Enchanted Keys, your better off getting VIP for Zen which gives you a key every day you have VIP among other benefits. Also VIP can be bought by converting AD to Zen (as with everything).
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • intelligirlintelligirl Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Go with Protection Palladin.... He can't be stopped! Lol
  • spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    I agree with everything said so far. Don't worry about the respec. Play the game for fun, don't worry about making mistakes. After twenty or thirty levels, you'll know if a certain character is right for you. If not, create a new one. Doesn't take long to get to level twenty and you'll probably know if a certain combat style is to your liking long before twenty.
    I play a Trickster Rogue as my main and have a tank paladine as my alt. It was so easy to run through content with the alt all the way to lvl 60, I couldn't believe it. I find him boring though, so I started creating a Hunter Ranger instead.
    Also, if you link your arc account, you get a free illusionist companion. Worth it, IMHO.
    Enjoy!
  • grimmosh#5813 grimmosh Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Ah, that helps a lot. Never knew about those Astral Diamonds and how you can trade them for Zen. See, you only get two slots so I was somewhat worried on only getting to play 2 of the classes. But this puts my mind at ease knowing I am able to both get more slots as well as respec without actually spending real money. It was probably a god idea if I had started playing while it was 50% off in the store then... Oh well. But yes, this takes off a load about getting it right first time.

Do like Paladins, I don't question it's survivability. But how is it for damage? Like is it able to solo due to surviving meaning it takes a while to kill things or does it have a decent amount of damage meaning I won't be standing attacking a boss for quite some time? Also do you know of any guides/builds for a Protection Paladin? I'm assuming Protection is a route you can go in it's skills, but I really don't know much of building a class.

Ah, ok I see what you mean. Do agree with you, things like choosing a class or race does come down to personal preference. Enjoying it, is important. Simply don't want to make a Tielfing (I think that is how it is spelt.) Trickster Rogue. Only to find out that was a terrible choice. That's why I posted here, which I'm glad I did. Today I'll likely do what you suggest, try out classes to level 20 to see which I enjoy and am comfortable with. I'll likely do that as well have my first class a DPS maybe something like a Scourge Warlock as they seem pretty fun from what I saw on a Stream. Then a support or tanking class as my second like a Oathbound Paladin. Ah, I linked my account but wasn't quite sure exactly what I got. Are companions basically pets? Or are they like an AI that follows you and attacks?

Was a bit nervous posting here at first as this isn't a thing I usually do with games. But so glad I did, you've all been so helpful and it is truly appreciated, thank you all.
  • beastpro#5299 beastpro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Depends on your play style. If you like to up close and personal attacking with Melee go with TR/GWF, attacking from distance go SW/CW/HR(granted HR can also be close Melee), then you have the support classes which are there to just keep the damage givers alive the DC/GF/and Paladin. If you want to be in the enemies face having them attack you so you group doesn't get hit, go with the GF or Paladin. If you want to stand back and heal the dum dums that stand in red then chose the DC.
  • cesar#6784 cesar Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2015

As far as preference goes, I usually always end up solo in games as I simply find it hard to make friends to do stuff with therefore the build should be viable at solo play but not completely useless in groups. (Do enjoy going support and tanking roles in games, especially healers but like I said, I find it hard to group up so end up solo and most of support classes and such lack the DMG.)

About this... You can pretty much solo while levelling up, that's no issue; but there will be point in the game when soloing isn't feasible anymore. For instance, you won't wanna run epics with a PuG; you will eventually need to join a guild to make things easier... Plus! If you find a guild with nice people, you will really enjoy dungeons. Also, they can lead you in the right direction.

I recently joined a guild and the leader doesn't demand that you donate (I do it anyway, but don't stress out), and we have real fun running Lostmauth, farming dragons in Well of Dragons, and other stuff. It's been pretty cool.
    Yeah, when I choose a class I try to think whether I want to be ranged or melee, I enjoy running up and getting into enemies bashing them to death and soaking up damage. But ranged classes animations are always so cool, making it hard.

Oh okay. It's not that I don't like grouping up with people, I simply find it tricky to do so. But it is good to know that I don't really need to rely on anyone whilst leveling as nobody want someone underleveled weighing down the team. So once I get to a decent level, I'll try to look for a nice guild with any luck I'll be able to join in with dungeon runs.

My apologies for mosunderstanding, I watched some streams on this game and saw the streamer soloing quite a bit on a Control Wizard and assumed that going solo is viable. So thank you for putting me right there, this really does look like an amazing game to get stuck into.

Thanks guys, any other tips about the game I should know would be great too. The more knowledge the better.
  • cesar#6784 cesar Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    One thing that you can do is to group up with other players and start your own guild.
  • dukesirashidukesirashi Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Regardless of the class you chose, make sure to use the experience and knowledge of the veteran players to your advantage. You can do this by researching the most RECENT builds available for the current Neverwinter mod. Lots are found online and make sure to consider how how you plan to play (solo, team, PVP). This will make your game experience more enjoyable and cheaper! :)
  • s4v10rxs4v10rx Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    also make sure you know ur class mechanics well whether you are a tr,hr,gf,gwf,sw,dc or OP. as once u know this class mechanics well u can use it to ur advantage in any situation and also learn how to calculate those points to % as those micro points helps u in a long run =)
    Guild: Asylum
    Character:
    7thS1n---Trickster Rouge LV 70(perma-Stun build)
    7ThH3AL3R-- Devoted Cleric LV 70 (Divine Oracle Haste/DPS build)
    7ThM4G3-- Control Wizard
    7ThW4rL0CK-- Scrooge Warlock
    7THW4R--Great Weapon Fighter
    Yeah, that's the thing I find it hard to group up with people let alone make my own guild. I'm not exactly the leader type haha.

Been trying to do this but it gets confusing with having PC and Xbox, then those different Mods? I assume that's like different updates or something and I've no idea which one the Xbox is currently on... I've tried MMOMinds but most of the builds are outdated with some stating that the gear is can be expensive, which is obviously no use to me. Thats what I'm trying to do here, get as much knowledge from the experienced players as I can get.
    Once I find a class I'm comfortable with playing as my first class and getting it to max I'll make sure to read up different guides/builds on it to learn all about it, I know with stats once you get I think 10 points in a stat you start getting percentages. But again not much knowledge as of yet thats why I originally wanted a build to follow so that I could learn the class as I go on and learn all the specifics with stats.
    Let us know what class etc you went with and starting stats etc, someone on the forum will be able to advise if you made a good choice or not so good choice for starting stats/class/race etc :)
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    My advice to you now is to just go and play the game. Running through the content will teach you plenty. Come back with questions whenever you need advice. At this stage, you might be overthinking things.
    IMHO, you can absolutely solo most of the content, given time and patience. Might be less fun, though. Like I said, just start playing. ;-)
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    http://mmominds.com/2015/11/04/xbox-mod-7-tanking-like-a-rockstar-gf-swordmaster/

This is my personal guide to tanking, very viable in PuGs. This class carrys poor groups and makes good groups absolutely amazing.

PuGs is where you get randomly matched with a healer and 4 other typs of characters. Good players or bad, you give them the best chance at success.

If you choose to try it, feel free to ask me any questions, ill get back to you and answer any questions even off topic to my build like AD to zen, rough Astrals, Why is RI important. Whatever ya like mate.

Sadly DPS classes have the least impact on completing end game content, healers are 2nd, and GFs make the biggest impact cause you keep heals needed low, and boost teams damage alot.
  • stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Professions:

Start leveling Jewelcrafting immediately and tend to it daily. You will need it for your endgame(ish) rings.

Also depending on your chosen class, level the corresponding skill, Leather, Tailor, Mail or Plate. The BIS (best in slot) socketed pants and shirt you can make with them is way cheaper than buying them.

Lastly, don't ignore Alchemy like everyone else did. It will be very handy for making Unified Elements once you get to endgame stuff (galaxy far far away right now). Also, if you will be on daily, Alchemy is the fastest profession to level.

Sadly DPS classes have the least impact on completing end game content, healers are 2nd, and GFs make the biggest impact cause you keep heals needed low, and boost teams damage alot.

What? How do you think you actually beat the content? You need DPS to kill them. You can boost damage all you want, but if there is no one there to boost for, then what use is a GF? I get you must love your GF class, but DPS is the only way to complete end game content and a GF is not even close to being necessary. Not with the Paladin class and or extremely good heals.

@beastpro#5299

You get Qued with DPS to boost there damage, and get Qued with a healer.

My point is DPS means nothing if they cant stay alive (hints tank) also PuGing can net some good and some bad DPS (hints boosting dmg)

Bubble pallies sound cool but until you reach high IL you are crutched on found a haste cleric with right spec. Then your not boosting damage so ur runs are slow

Healer pallies are probably 2nd best as starting characters, beat EToS @ 1900IL (had to fluff to get in)

My point is be support, you make the biggest impact at completing end game content. And finding groups are easy.

I tried dps life with PuGs, did research, got lostmauth set, had 1900IL on GWF. Kept being top dps but took hours to complete a dungeon.

I have PuGed ECC on tank, no mics. Beat 2nd go at boss. And no i didnt luck out with dps, i came in 3rd and fight took 10min. But i kept everyone alive

Completed EToS in 8min, planned group there though.

Wasn't Leadership also one people tend to go with as well?

It was when you could make diamonds from it, yes. There are some things still worth it, but only as a 'ok, I have all my others done' option. It takes an incredible amount of time to level and the rewards do not match it in value (currently).

edited December 2015
    1900 IL score, um... No offence but that is incredibly weak. Any 'trouble' with that IL is being asked for IMHO.

Post edited by stpensive on
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah I think you're missing the point on that one, he was a 1.9k healer pally & got a win. The other point where he said he had a 1.9k GWF is prob the one you wanted to quote :wink:
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    @stpensive

Im confused by your quote
    I didn't follow it either.
    stpensive said:

Wasn't Leadership also one people tend to go with as well?

It was when you could make diamonds from it, yes. There are some things still worth it, but only as a 'ok, I have all my others done' option. It takes an incredible amount of time to level and the rewards do not match it in value (currently).

Ha do not listen to the hype... Leadership still has its benefits. My Alts are brining me loads of Refinement items whilst I play on my main. Since the last double RP event ending (not long ago) I have almost a couple of hundred bags of refinement stuff to open already and another double RP is almost here :)

People should not discount Leadership, save all the important items that earn AD in that profession for a double AD event, each task will then bring in 3200 AD. Then save all the bags of refinement items for double RP events. Plus it gives you free Gold which is also good for donating to the Stronghold or to buy lots of potions etc.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • nwbeast#4980 nwbeast Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I would suggest joining a guild. Not only because the people in it would most likely have builds to help you, but you would most likely always have someone to run stuff with.

I most recently helped one of my guildies out with their Paladin build when my paladin is my 3rd alt. He is a beast and I know how to play him really well, but being my 3rd alt I don't even focus on him. Somehow I play it well enough to help my guildie out though.

I would suggest joining a guild. Not only because the people in it would most likely have builds to help you, but you would most likely always have someone to run stuff with.

I most recently helped one of my guildies out with their Paladin build when my paladin is my 3rd alt. He is a beast and I know how to play him really well, but being my 3rd alt I don't even focus on him. Somehow I play it well enough to help my guildie out though.

Hmmmm I probably would suggest going through a fair bit of the main story 1st before joining a Guild. That way you can get the most out of the items that are given to you for quests etc rather than just speed through the levels etc.

Also that is a good way to test out powers you like and do not like whilst going through the plot.

Joining a guild has its benefits but if they have open banks etc it could sap the fun out of the start of the game and being a brand new player.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe