test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Motes Not Dropping

morentharmorenthar Member Posts: 2,500 Arc User
Myself and others have not been getting Motes off of HEs.

Is the drop rate that insanely low or do we have a bug on our hands?
Main: Syndul The Slick - MI Saboteur

Comments

• asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    morenthar said:

While the drop rate is not 100% for motes, with the exception of epic heroic encounters, there is unfortunately a known issue preventing some players from receiving motes. However, there is a workaround. See the known issues thread for more information.

In short, ensure you have the unawakened heart associated with the element of the weapon you are pursuing in your inventory before completing any heroic encounters. If you don't, drop the quest and re-accept it.

It's advised that until the issue is resolved you only focus on one elemental weapon, and drop all other quests. The bug is that when accepting one elemental weapon quests, unawakened hearts for other quests will be destroyed. This means you won't be able to gain motes for that heart.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.
  • seraericseraeric Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

While the drop rate is not 100% for motes, with the exception of epic heroic encounters, there is unfortunately a known issue preventing some players from receiving motes. However, there is a workaround. See the known issues thread for more information.

In short, ensure you have the unawakened heart associated with the element of the weapon you are pursuing in your inventory before completing any heroic encounters. If you don't, drop the quest and re-accept it.

It's advised that until the issue is resolved you only focus on one elemental weapon, and drop all other quests. The bug is that when accepting one elemental weapon quests, unawakened hearts for other quests will be destroyed. This means you won't be able to gain motes for that heart.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.
    Understand,but ... I have only accepted 1 quest, have the unawakened heart (fire) in my inventory but only only received 1 mote out of 10 HEs in the fiery pit, including 2 epics. Is that as it should be?
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This is awful design, as I'm sure I'm not the only one to point out. What's even the point of having alternate endgame equipment options if you're just going to make them gratuitously difficult to get?

Increase the number of motes to, I don't know, 500, but make each HE drop between 1 and 5 motes. There is absolutely no reason why players shouldn't be at least partially rewarded for completing a heroic encounter, epic or not.

And, just as an aside ,even aside from the issue of how grueling and frustrating this is for the players directly, the low drop rates will probably lead to people thinking there's a bug when it's just designed in a way to be frustrating.
    edited November 2015
    morenthar said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

@asterdahl

Gotcha! Also, we've found that one cannot get the Mastercraft quest if you have the Elemental weapons quest active. After we dropped it, we got the quest.
    Morenthar, thanks for the report on the mastercraft quest issue. I'm working with Strumslinger to make sure this is added to the known issues post, in addition, we're working on a fix for this issue.

In the meantime, as long as you have the "unwakened heart" associated with the elemental weapon you wish to pursue, you will be able to continue obtaining motes with or without the quest. We plan to keep a close eye on any changes to ensure progress is in no way reset for these quests when the fixes go through.

So if you're looking to do both the elemental weapon quest, and the masterwork quests, you should be able to accept the elemental quest, hold onto your unawakened heart, drop it and then accept your masterwork quest.
    seraeric said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

Understand,but ... I have only accepted 1 quest, have the unawakened heart (fire) in my inventory but only only received 1 mote out of 10 HEs in the fiery pit, including 2 epics. Is that as it should be?
    Only heroic encounters that list "15+ participants recommended!," or that appear on the map featuring a border with 10 points and 2 curled flourishes have a 100% chance of granting motes. For reference, in Fiery Pits, this is "Feeding the Fire." If you completed "Feeding the Fire," and did not receive a mote, this is in fact a bug.
    Post edited by asterdahl on
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Only heroic encounters that list "15+ participants recommended!," or that appear on the map featuring a border with 11 points and 2 curled flourishes have a 100% chance of granting motes.

Hmm...

I think there are only 10 points. As a result of picking this nit, I've invalidated all your work. Sorry.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
    two30 said:

asterdahl said:

Only heroic encounters that list "15+ participants recommended!," or that appear on the map featuring a border with 11 points and 2 curled flourishes have a 100% chance of granting motes.

Hmm...

I think there are only 10 points. As a result of picking this nit, I've invalidated all your work. Sorry.
    You are quite right, corrected for accuracy!

• dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    asterdahl said:

Only heroic encounters that list "15+ participants recommended!," or that appear on the map featuring a border with 10 points and 2 curled flourishes have a 100% chance of granting motes. For reference, in Fiery Pits, this is "Feeding the Fire." If you completed "Feeding the Fire," and did not receive a mote, this is in fact a bug.

so someone in your office seriously decided that having someone run feeding the fire 100 times was a good idea. really? and he wasnt laughed out of the room? and no alternative methods were presented? and this is ok with you?
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    dufisto said:

asterdahl said:

so someone in your office seriously decided that having someone run feeding the fire 100 times was a good idea. really? and he wasnt laughed out of the room? and no alternative methods were presented? and this is ok with you?
    Imagine anyone trying to get any of the other weapons lol. Pretty much everyone will go for the AP gain set. Would need 15 guildmates willing to run the other HEs 100 times to get the other weapons.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

dufisto said:

asterdahl said:

Imagine anyone trying to get any of the other weapons lol. Pretty much everyone will go for the AP gain set. Would need 15 guildmates willing to run the other HEs 100 times to get the other weapons.

i can see water being popular with the pvp crowd. and you really only need a couple of high ILs to do crabs or pillaging. ( i forget which one is 15) since the mobs are only lvl 64 and scaling makes you godlike to them.
    the other 2 sets just suck.

so you need 1 piece of drowcraft ( since the other set bonus dont even work right)
    the purple undies from the ichor vendor 1 week of farming on 2 chars.
    and then 100 runs of the same 15+ he in a zone you hoped to never have to set foot in again. by then you should have enough of the other currency (because 20 wasnt enough) to get the 1st 2-3 boons. and can completely forget about underdark.

edit: on second thought i'll just stick with the ee weapons or ensorcelled.

• theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Just how much backlash is the team going to have to see over this before they decide to change it? I'd hope not too much, but, well, who knows.

I know I'm being pretty vitriolic over this, but this is a never-event; it's easily avoidable and serves no real purpose. It fails to account for everything the team should have learned by now, and worse yet, that's AFTER accounting for the fact that it's 100% HE oriented which people have largely complained about.

You can't even use the "well, we need to monetize SOMETHING" argument, because that doesn't apply here. So why? Why was this thought to be a good idea? The entire thing just boggles my mind. On preview, we hardly had any time to test the idea anyway, and even if we had, who would have fought even 100 HEs just for that?

Please change course on this particular issue immediately. There is simply no reasonable justification for making the new artifact weapons so mind-numbingly grueling to get, especially since players have to NOT be doing anything else that progresses their character's in the process.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    dufisto said:

urabask said:

dufisto said:

asterdahl said:

i can see water being popular with the pvp crowd. and you really only need a couple of high ILs to do crabs or pillaging. ( i forget which one is 15) since the mobs are only lvl 64 and scaling makes you godlike to them.
    the other 2 sets just suck.

so you need 1 piece of drowcraft ( since the other set bonus dont even work right)
    the purple undies from the ichor vendor 1 week of farming on 2 chars.
    and then 100 runs of the same 15+ he in a zone you hoped to never have to set foot in again. by then you should have enough of the other currency (because 20 wasnt enough) to get the 1st 2-3 boons. and can completely forget about underdark.

edit: on second thought i'll just stick with the ee weapons or ensorcelled.

I can't imagine trying to get anything other than the water one just because of the scaling difficulty (well, maybe the earth one). I decided to go for water for the set bonus even though I'm pure PvE. At least there we have it down to a science: note the Cornered by Crabs drop time in an instance, the next pop time in that same instance will be 10 minutes afterward. Some people jump instances, others (like me) just take a break for 10 minutes and either work professions or pop piñatas.

It's still mind-numbingly boring, though. I got 11 motes in about 2 hours. I don't even want to think about repeating this for my other 7 alts.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

@asterdahl

Gotcha! Also, we've found that one cannot get the Mastercraft quest if you have the Elemental weapons quest active. After we dropped it, we got the quest.
    Morenthar, thanks for the report on the mastercraft quest issue. I'm working with Strumslinger to make sure this is added to the known issues post, in addition, we're working on a fix for this issue.

In the meantime, as long as you have the "unwakened heart" associated with the elemental weapon you wish to pursue, you will be able to continue obtaining motes with or without the quest. We plan to keep a close eye on any changes to ensure progress is in no way reset for these quests when the fixes go through.

So if you're looking to do both the elemental weapon quest, and the masterwork quests, you should be able to accept the elemental quest, hold onto your unawakened heart, drop it and then accept your masterwork quest.
    seraeric said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

@asterdahl

I completed "Feeding the Fire" with the unawakened heart (fire), this was the only elemental heart i have and didn't drop any mote. What should i do ? Restart the quest?
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    People are running water motes a lot right now. If you get into a good group that's keeping proper track of when instances go down (and thus when they will come back up) you can pretty easily get 15+ motes every hour. One heavy gaming weekday and you've got your water set, basically. Of course, that assumes everything runs smoothly for a good 7 hours or so, and humans being what they are they tend to get stupid, and then people start cutting off their nose to spite someone else's face, etc. Organizing this with some guildmates can help.

So it requires some farming, which can always get boring, but if it's something you look at and go "I really want this", then it's not that horrid. And, frankly, you probably put in around that much time just to get the elemental fire ones, so buck up.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    Tiamat is proof that I won't repeat something 100 times. =X
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • revan06100revan06100 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

People are running water motes a lot right now. If you get into a good group that's keeping proper track of when instances go down (and thus when they will come back up) you can pretty easily get 15+ motes every hour. One heavy gaming weekday and you've got your water set, basically. Of course, that assumes everything runs smoothly for a good 7 hours or so, and humans being what they are they tend to get stupid, and then people start cutting off their nose to spite someone else's face, etc. Organizing this with some guildmates can help.

So it requires some farming, which can always get boring, but if it's something you look at and go "I really want this", then it's not that horrid. And, frankly, you probably put in around that much time just to get the elemental fire ones, so buck up.

I don't disagree with you, the point is, elemental zones are places we've been to farm xp and already got annoyed with ( long, repetitive and hard for certain).
    So putting more grind into thoses areas is for me a mistake, and a proof that cryptic is doing nothing but recycling.
    Considering you need to finish 100 HE's, with a not 100% chance of success for minor and medium ones, this is terrible.
    As if we didn't have enough HE to do with stronghold and the new HE from underdark...
    They need to come up with a bit more creativity... cause it's getting very very boring....

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

@asterdahl

seraeric said:

asterdahl said:

morenthar said:

@asterdahl

I completed "Feeding the Fire" with the unawakened heart (fire), this was the only elemental heart i have and didn't drop any mote. What should i do ? Restart the quest?
    I can tell you that it is safe to restart the quest, you will not lose any motes you have currently accumulated. As far as why you did not receive any motes from "Feeding the Fire," did you obtain any other motes of fire either before or after this event?

• kitsunemaguskitsunemagus Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I've restarted the Weapons of Earth quest several times (and I have the unawakened heart of Earth in my inventory), I've run Slaad Invasion in Reclamation Rock in parties about 10 times today and saw NO motes. I've not seen a single mote drop - Period. This is beyond poor design - and yet people are getting them apparently. Guess I'm just not geared enough.

but wait - to get the new gear ... I need to be geared; but I can't get it because I'm NOT geared ... the MMO catch-22~!
  • peterbilodeaupeterbilodeau Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I can't imagine trying to get anything other than the water one just because of the scaling difficulty (well, maybe the earth one). I decided to go for water for the set bonus even though I'm pure PvE. At least there we have it down to a science: note the Cornered by Crabs drop time in an instance, the next pop time in that same instance will be 10 minutes afterward. Some people jump instances, others (like me) just take a break for 10 minutes and either work professions or pop piñatas.

It's still mind-numbingly boring, though. I got 11 motes in about 2 hours. I don't even want to think about repeating this for my other 7 alts.

Yeah, I tried a couple and came here just to find out the fact that I got NOTHING for it was intentional. I was really excited for my HR to get a real elemental weapon set (water), my OP to get the real elemental fire set, my SW... nope. 11/100 in ~6 epic HEs is pretty discouraging. I hope they fix this.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i just did first run and only got 1 mote and item need 100 to get fill up.

Seriously??? 1 per HE event? nearly no one want to run 100 times to get 1 mote.
    i was expecting few random drops while in HE events.
    getting a mote as reward? go away!!!
  • argossianhaggisargossianhaggis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The whole mote thing is horrible (not to mention lazy) game design by pretty much any metric I can think of. Either add more ways to get motes, make them drop 100% from all HE's in the appropriate zones (possibly dropping more than 1 per), or add an alternate quest completion criteria that isn't a pain in the HAMSTER of the person trying to unlock said weapon set.

My personal fix would be to make in-zone repeatable quests drop motes and give all the HEs a 100% chance to drop a single mote. I'd probably also scale the motes you get to the HE difficulty (while always granting at least 1 mote, for the illusion of progress). I'm sorry your designs in this instance were so horrible :\
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    I have dropped all Mote related quest including the "Fire" quest... still no Motes

To be more clear...

I dropped all quest including the "Fire quest" the "seed" stayed

Went back and got the "Fire Quest"

Fought the Scorpion... won "Great Victory"... No Motes

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Nope, then there is a bug. I did about 20 HE's in the first two days and only got 7 Earthen motes from Slaad Invasion (they seem to have a 100% drop rate). Nowhere else did any motes drop.

I have to agree that this design was very poorly implemented. Forcing someone (yes this is what you are doing as it is the only way to obtain the set) to run one encounter 100 times is pure madness! At least you could have made the mote drops from any HE in the game as long as you had the heart. I was sick of RR after levelling through there on my first toon - I was not planning to going back there for more endless grinding. Shame on you devs.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    Is this the brainchild of whoever thought that 192 vigilance quests was a good idea? It sure looks like it. Has that person returned to the project?

I feel sorry for whoever really wants the air weapons. Grind Mistral Point 100 times? Are you insane?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    urlord283 said:

I have dropped all Mote related quest including the "Fire" quest... still no Motes

To be more clear...

I dropped all quest including the "Fire quest" the "seed" stayed

Went back and got the "Fire Quest"

Fought the Scorpion... won "Great Victory"... No Motes

The only Fiery Pit encounter that would be guaranteed to drop them is the one where you have to kill the cultists before they can kill themselves.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • kacsaneverkacsanever Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

asterdahl said:

Nope, then there is a bug. I did about 20 HE's in the first two days and only got 7 Earthen motes from Slaad Invasion (they seem to have a 100% drop rate). Nowhere else did any motes drop.
    I have the same issue on my main toon (except I tried only 4-5 Slaad -> 0 motes). Tried to drop and get the quest again. Tried to get air - to eliminate earth - drop the air quest, get earth but same.
    It seems to be char specific b/c w/ my alt I get earth mote for each slaad.
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to take a brief moment to discuss the nature of these quests as it's become quite a hot topic.

As you may know, there are currently 6 sets of artifact weapons that start at item level 125. Other than elemental weapons, there are also stronghold and twisted weapons. The barrier to entry to obtain either of those weapons is higher, one requiring an active guild with stronghold investment, the other requiring completion of Epic Demogorgon, which is a fairly difficult fight. In both cases however, progress towards earning those weapons is measurable and comparatively short if the barriers to entry can be overcome. Additionally, their set bonuses are quite strong, with a focus on increasing performance across the board.

Elemental weapons were designed as an alternative, with a low barrier to entry, more situational set bonuses that you could choose based on your play style, but would require a significant time investment. These weapons were not meant to be earned in a day, or even a week. That is why their base power, set bonuses aside, is comparable to those weapons that require a significantly higher barrier to entry.

That being said, we are aware of the fact that due to the low drop rates in lower ranked heroic encounters, coupled with the 100% drop rate in epic heroic encounters, as well as the frequency with which encounters of varying ranks appear, and the amount of time it takes to clear them—that there is a feeling that only running the epic heroic encounters is worthwhile. It was never the intent to create a quest that read "Completed 'Cornered by Crabs' 0/100," but we know for a lot of you, that's what "Weapons of Water" has become.

We're also aware that due to the facts listed above, compounded with the relative popularity of certain weapons vs. others, as well as the difference in difficulty from zone to zone, that some of these weapons feel significantly more difficult to obtain.

We are currently exploring options to improve the experience in the following ways:
    1. Make it feel more rewarding to run lower rank heroic encounters.
    2. Bring the time investment closer together from weapon to weapon.
    We will be tackling this through the tweaking of drop rates as well as the rate at which certain heroic encounters spawn. We'll also be keeping an eye on the popularity of the elemental weapons and making adjustments accordingly. Rest assured there are no plans to nerf any of the weapons, however, some weapons may receive a bump depending on popularity and balance.

Also, I know some of you have been asking about the burning weapons and the frequency with which the AP bonus occurs, and I'd like to clarify and apologize for the typo in that tooltip. The chance of receiving the AP bonus is 100%, however, this effect can only occur once every 30 seconds. The tooltip will be updated to be more accurate in the future.

As a final note, for those currently working on the weapons—although we will be making changes to improve the experience, we will not be significantly reducing the amount of time required to earn these weapons such that current work on them feels wasted. These quests are meant to be a long term investment and that will not change with upcoming adjustments.

@asterdahl

If you have the unawakened heart in your inventory and are not receiving drops from epic (15+ participant) heroic encounters, like "Feeding the Fire" and "Slaad Invasion," dropping the quest and re-starting should not have any impact. The drop rates from those heroic encounters should be 100%, so we'll look into that issue. For those of you who have not been receiving motes from epic heroic encounters, were you generally there from the start of the encounter?
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    my idea for the motes was to complete 100 heroics would look much easiers
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    asterdahl said:

We're also aware that due to the facts listed above, compounded with the relative popularity of certain weapons vs. others,

Are you also aware that the water weapon supposedly ISNT affected by healing depression and ALSO is healing players for 100% of their HP instead of 50%?

Also, why is the water weapons SO much better than the other ones? 50% of your HP over 30 seconds? Might want to consider changing that to something else along the lines of a "heal yourself for 25% of your HP instantly" - cant only happen once every 30 seconds. - more like the AP weapon (with your change).

A HoT for 50% of your HP is massive in regards to things like PVP, a burst heal once every 30 seconds is much less reliable and while still very appealing, doesnt make its effect "trump" the SH weapons OR the other new weapon - which CURRENTLY seem lack luster in regards to self healing. I think its just the fact that the healing lasts so long... It makes a PVPer incredibly hard to kill when they have a HoT on them ticking for 1100-1200 a second AFTER healing depression....

Set bonus for Water needs to be changed to be more inline with other elemental sets and not more powerful than SH weapons or the twisted weapons. Waters heal makes it THE best weapon set in the game.
    ayroux said:

asterdahl said:

We're also aware that due to the facts listed above, compounded with the relative popularity of certain weapons vs. others,

Are you also aware that the water weapon supposedly ISNT affected by healing depression and ALSO is healing players for 100% of their HP instead of 50%?

Also, why is the water weapons SO much better than the other ones? 50% of your HP over 30 seconds? Might want to consider changing that to something else along the lines of a "heal yourself for 25% of your HP instantly" - cant only happen once every 30 seconds. - more like the AP weapon (with your change).

A HoT for 50% of your HP is massive in regards to things like PVP, a burst heal once every 30 seconds is much less reliable and while still very appealing, doesnt make its effect "trump" the SH weapons OR the other new weapon - which CURRENTLY seem lack luster in regards to self healing. I think its just the fact that the healing lasts so long... It makes a PVPer incredibly hard to kill when they have a HoT on them ticking for 1100-1200 a second AFTER healing depression....

Set bonus for Water needs to be changed to be more inline with other elemental sets and not more powerful than SH weapons or the twisted weapons. Waters heal makes it THE best weapon set in the game.
    Here we go again. PvP players screaming for something to be nerfed that is also hugely useful in PvE.

If a nerf comes, is should be FOR PVP ONLY.
    ayroux said:

asterdahl said:

While I did mention in my post that we would not be outright nerfing any of the weapons, any cases where the power differs from its description or from common game mechanics like healing depression will be resolved. We are aware of an issue where the drowned weapons are healing more than indicated in the tooltip and this will be resolved.

This may have been responsible for the idea that the set bonus is not affected by healing depression, but we have been unable to reproduce a scenario where healing depression does not affect the heal over time. Naturally if you escape from combat long enough for healing depression to fall off, subsequent tics of the heal will heal at full potency.

The design of the drowned weapons was explicitly not a burst heal to prevent it from becoming an additional last stand mechanic in PvP. The idea is to allow you to live a bit longer, or recover after escaping from combat, hence the heal over time component. At least in this case, it is still possible to burst the opponent down.

We'll continue to monitor the popularity of various weapons and their affects on PvE and PvP balance, it's still too early to say we plan to make specific changes.