test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ad removal

Comments

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I wonder how many of the PC leavers transferred to XBox as I've seen a few XB players say they used to play on PC.

Yes NW does have some issues, the biggest ones being the huge amount of time it takes to correct issues and the lack of communication regarding progress on said issues.

But it is a good game. I don't particularly like the free2play model in general (I'd prefer to buy the game up front and not be arm twisted into payments for necessary things like bags) but that's how 'free' games fund themselves.

They are always working on new content, they eventually get around to fixing most problems & I like the combat methods. To the point where I'm on the game every day.

I'm not really one for singing Cryptics praises but on the whole it's a decent game.
    On the Leadership front though - have you ever played a game that let you generate raw currency from something like 'professions'?? No, me neither. To be fair they should've never introduced it, but hindsight has 20/20 vision (as they say).

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    plannb23 said:

At it's peak, Neverwinter on Steam had 14,822 in 2013. Today it's peak is 3,777, which is a 74.518 % decrease in what we'll call a two year period (December 2013 - October 2015) Information obtained from steamcharts.com

I can't seem to find any numbers on the PC.

ancojo said:

Try visiting steam Neverwinter player base, and then google how many players used to play on the PC, Mr Minority!

Or even better still do that poll, I dare ya!

that doesnt really tell a person anything. a game will always lose a significant amount of players in the first year or two. it's natural. the figures we'd need to see would be the numbers directly before an update and the numbers in the weeks trailing that.

I have to assume as a company they aren't stupid and if they were indeed losing a significant amount of the population (other than the spammers they're' trying to weed out) they'd make some sort of follow up change to get people back. they are in the business of making money not losing it and if they were indeed losing money (losing your player base equals losing money) we would be seeing more change. end of story.

one has to assume that the player base remained stable or with the in limits they were hoping for. (one has to assume there was a very large spam factor they were trying to eliminate) on pc. too early to tell for xbox I think.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

I
    On the Leadership front though - have you ever played a game that let you generate raw currency from something like 'professions'?? No, me neither. To be fair they should've never introduced it, but hindsight has 20/20 vision (as they say).

A constant flow of new AD needs to be produced for the ADX to work properly (250-280AD/Zen), since that currency "vanishes" in many transactions in NW, and if there is less AD being produced than what is needed, the ADX rate will show that by having a low rate of AD:Zen.

And since the exchange rate on XB1 have been on the low side since launch, there has actually been to little AD produced, even with Leadership RAD in place...

A virtual economy like the this, is heavily dependent on the amount that of AD that gets produced daily, and with the daily rate, 140 AD/Zen, that is a clear indication that not enough AD gets out in circulation.

So if you had understood the basic principles of this virtual economy, you would have known that Leadership was/is a very good way of getting AD in to the economy...

Since they'll never put RAD back in Leadership, they need to put Thaumaturgic & Resonance resources in its place (or Residuum?), but that needs to be done now.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited October 2015

plannb23 said:

At it's peak, Neverwinter on Steam had 14,822 in 2013. Today it's peak is 3,777, which is a 74.518 % decrease in what we'll call a two year period (December 2013 - October 2015) Information obtained from steamcharts.com

I can't seem to find any numbers on the PC.

ancojo said:

Try visiting steam Neverwinter player base, and then google how many players used to play on the PC, Mr Minority!

Or even better still do that poll, I dare ya!

that doesnt really tell a person anything. a game will always lose a significant amount of players in the first year or two. it's natural. the figures we'd need to see would be the numbers directly before an update and the numbers in the weeks trailing that.

I have to assume as a company they aren't stupid and if they were indeed losing a significant amount of the population (other than the spammers they're' trying to weed out) they'd make some sort of follow up change to get people back. they are in the business of making money not losing it and if they were indeed losing money (losing your player base equals losing money) we would be seeing more change. end of story.

one has to assume that the player base remained stable or with the in limits they were hoping for. (one has to assume there was a very large spam factor they were trying to eliminate) on pc. too early to tell for xbox I think.
    report from the PC side:
    + "goldseller" spam is still going on in PE every minute, no changes

+ professional botters moved their bots from Neverdeath Graveyard to Pirates' Skyhold and Ebon Downs, but also no changes in their numbers overall

+ Steam Charts, player numbers increased with Strongholds by 15.65%, but within last month the numbers went down by 18.08%, and right now we're looking at another decrease of 4.60%

+ while the rAD income has decreased considerably, most fix AD expenses weren't changed yet, and the removal of rAD from leadership is live for a month now

Many players on the PC side are waiting for the other AD changes, but we haven't heard a word from the Devs about it...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • zman81420zman81420 Member Posts: 972 Arc User

Hey guys, I get people are super-passionate on both sides about the changes, but let's see if we can have this discussion without resorting to insulting each other. If you can't post without saying something mean about another poster, you're better off just not posting. Thanks.

^^^
    Guardian Fighter: SM Conqueror

[]Full Metal Witch[]
    4149 TiL
    Guild: (X1) The Legendary Outlaws

"The Best of the Best"
    "Nobody does it better"
    #TLO BiS

armadeonx said:

I

So if you had understood the basic principles of this virtual economy, you would have known that Leadership was/is a very good way of getting AD in to the economy...

@mightyeriksson please don't make the mistake of assuming that because somebody takes a different view to you that they are stupid.

My view is that as income generation comes down in certain quarters, so will prices in both the AH and Zen exchange. Cryptic have understood the change and responded by greatly reducing the cost of GMOPS and making many of the refining stones available through quests and hopefully leadership, plus a small increase in the amount players can earn through dailies.

People charge what others can afford and wealth is a relative concept - not an absolute.

I don't agree with your position but I wouldn't think for a moment of trying to insinuate you're an idiot for taking that position.

• acridbird74acridbird74 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    @thejawlives I think I could be OK with the changes if the relative costs were also reduced. Remove the AD generation through leadership -- fine. But the way these changes were announced and sold to PC players was that not enough people were earning AD through leadership and that the devs wanted more AD generation in the game. That doesn't pass the smell test for me. I think this will result in less AD generation.

Before these changes, costs to advance companions were already prohibitively high for a lot of players. It takes time to work through dailies with one character while also managing bags, running encounters, dungeon runs, skirmishes, whatever. Just doesn't feel possible to do that now on multiple characters without spending lots of real life money to simply advance.

armadeonx said:

I

A constant flow of new AD needs to be produced for the ADX to work properly (250-280AD/Zen), since that currency "vanishes" in many transactions in NW, and if there is less AD being produced than what is needed, the ADX rate will show that by having a low rate of AD:Zen.

And since the exchange rate on XB1 have been on the low side since launch, there has actually been to little AD produced, even with Leadership RAD in place...

A virtual economy like the this, is heavily dependent on the amount that of AD that gets produced daily, and with the daily rate, 140 AD/Zen, that is a clear indication that not enough AD gets out in circulation.

Since they'll never put RAD back in Leadership, they need to put Thaumaturgic & Resonance resources in its place (or Residuum?), but that needs to be done now.

It's true... I am not even thinking about converting any of my Zen to AD right now. Why would I? The price keeps dropping as AD isn't being generated at reasonable levels. I can't count on AD to go up any time soon, so my zen will remain Zen for a while. It doesn't do much to stimulate the economy, that's for sure.
    Aelwyn | SS Renegade CW | Lv 70 | ilvl 3029

Eos Sindhalyn | Annointed haste DC | Lv 70 | ilvl 2500

Lily Firegrass | buffbot Iron Vanguard GF | Lv 70 | ilvl 2685

Guild: The Misfit Toys - We are recruiting active players
  • randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
    While Zen price may change in a months to come, for the next few weeks I would count on it getting down to 125-135 level. So you are actually losing by not selling your Zen now. I only keep as much as I need for wards and ToS keys.
    Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers
  • destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    Personally i consider myself a casual, i play this a bit each day but im lev 66, my gear score is 1351... I never had anything to refine more than my daily limit, i was depending on LEADERSHIP to get AD and since the change i can't make AD outside praying and ocasionally a normal dungeon during event...

I don't play PVP, hate this in a game like this.

So yeah, GMOP has been reduced... yeah.. but i merely do 2000 AD by praying and thats about it.

I should be able to make AD by Skirmishes... oups no ... there is none avalaible for lev 66
    I should be able to make some AD by doing quest... oups no , only gives HAMSTER gold that is useless beside buying injury kit and potions...

Stop hiding the fact people that they only made this change so people would buy zen to convert them to AD, thus giving the dev more money....
    edited October 2015

While Zen price may change in months to come, for the next few weeks I would count on it getting down to 125-135 level. So you are actually losing by not selling your Zen now. I only keep as much as I need for wards and ToS keys.

Wrong. I would lose if I sell my zen at a loss. I will convert more AD to zen when I feel like we hit a floor. I will sell down the road at a profit and I will earn. I do not lose anything in this scenario.

So, for now, I keep my coins in the value they hold and spend only if I need to spend. I am a very patient person. I was pretty mediocre pre Mod 5, but I am starting to get some amazing gear in Mod 6 because I have been playing a long game. Patience, stubbornness and smart moves will pay off. Selling at a loss because the market falls is to lose, but many people will do it.

• mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    armadeonx said:

@mightyeriksson please don't make the mistake of assuming that because somebody takes a different view to you that they are stupid.

My view is that as income generation comes down in certain quarters, so will prices in both the AH and Zen exchange. Cryptic have understood the change and responded by greatly reducing the cost of GMOPS and making many of the refining stones available through quests and hopefully leadership, plus a small increase in the amount players can earn through dailies.

People charge what others can afford and wealth is a relative concept - not an absolute.

I don't agree with your position but I wouldn't think for a moment of trying to insinuate you're an idiot for taking that position.

Well, the actions taken are on the right path, (one of) the problem is that they dropped RAD production too soon...

The problem is that the XB1 doesn't have as much AD in it's economy that's needed, so dropping the prices on GMOP (and lots of other things) while keeping Leadership and hourly events for lets say 4-6 months more, would have improved the state of the ADX significantly.

The PC got these changes after almost 2 years, that was perhaps a year too late, but they had many, many more issues there, with exploits and bots.

I don't really know why they rmoved the Dungeon and Skirmish RAD reward, they could easily have ran both the old and the new system concurrently

*I never assumed anyone was stupid?*
  • randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I would lose if I sell my zen at a loss. I will convert more AD to zen when I feel like we hit a floor. I will sell down the road at a profit and I will earn. I do not lose anything in this scenario.

I'm not sure where does the loss come from. Did you buy a lot of Zen what it was 200 or even 300?

I tend to watch Zen very closely, and even day trade it - just to catch that +10 AD swing and leverage it over 1000-2000 Zen I may have sitting in my account at any given time. For the last few weeks the rate was declining quite steadily, so I prefer to keep money in AD to avoid loss. During big events and when new mods ship there is usually an temporary spike in Zen value, so at these time I keep money in Zen.

I wouldn't count on the rate "returning to normal". It's not going to get back to any particular historic values since the game is ever changing and new normal will be established every time new things happen.

But anyway, don't think that I'm trying to convince you to sell your Zen. :smile:
    Storing it in the currency you are going to spend it in has the least risks.
    Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers
    I may not know much as you guy do with the economy thing, every game i played the cash meant nothing, like Diablo or PSO back then. But one thing i can say, turning off the income source for most "caual" is a bad move, a really bad one... and a greedy one... Cause its obvious by that they want people to buy Zen and convert them... :( This game has already too much stuff that need to be buy with real money..
  • siscueclipsesiscueclipse Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Neverwinter out in March 2016 PS4, what they want is to squeeze every last $ not fix anything and not get anyone to use juege servers for players PS4
    I doubt this has anything to do, NW is a constant income source. Its clearly just a matter of "they want us to buy zen to convert them" kinda thing..
    I actually have a fundamental issue with zen. I think they need to get rid of it and just have fixed AD and $$ prices...

Buying directly AD but also being able to make them in game... hum not a bad idea, Instead of having an echange... yeah i never realy understood that.

I would lose if I sell my zen at a loss. I will convert more AD to zen when I feel like we hit a floor. I will sell down the road at a profit and I will earn. I do not lose anything in this scenario.

I'm not sure where does the loss come from. Did you buy a lot of Zen what it was 200 or even 300?

I tend to watch Zen very closely, and even day trade it - just to catch that +10 AD swing and leverage it over 1000-2000 Zen I may have sitting in my account at any given time. For the last few weeks the rate was declining quite steadily, so I prefer to keep money in AD to avoid loss. During big events and when new mods ship there is usually an temporary spike in Zen value, so at these time I keep money in Zen.

I wouldn't count on the rate "returning to normal". It's not going to get back to any particular historic values since the game is ever changing and new normal will be established every time new things happen.

But anyway, don't think that I'm trying to convince you to sell your Zen. :smile:
    Storing it in the currency you are going to spend it in has the least risks.
    I have 25K zen. It is a stable currency because the prices of goods that I buy with it do not fluctuate. In fact, I get coupons and sales that allow me to spend less for things I want. I bought a lot of zen around the 160-168 level. How do you not see that selling at 150 is a loss? I am losing nothing by keeping zen, but you said it is a loss to keep it. That is not true at all. Selling low would be a dumb move. Waiting for the market to come back up is the smart play. The long play will net a large return. Urging people to sell low even at a loss is not good advice. I have plenty of diamonds to spend if I need them, but I am almost done spending diamonds for a while. I will spend more diamonds at the floor.

• daveman45750#7375 daveman45750 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I could care less about making AD or having the best of the best armor. Since last up date i cant stay connected at night, more than half of my guild mates are having the same problem. Developers keep making changes and now bragging on stongholds coming....how about fix what you have first before everyone leaves....duh big red truck
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

I actually have a fundamental issue with zen. I think they need to get rid of it and just have fixed AD and $$ prices...

I love the exchange. it's what keeps this game interesting for me. playing the stock market is fun

• deathbringer#1709 deathbringer Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Removing AD from leadership was the smartest thing the Devs have done to date. Getting AD that way was lazy, cheap, and needed to go. AD is supposed to be EARNED through playing the game, not handed out just for selecting task.
  • sharpassassin1sharpassassin1 Member Posts: 70 Arc User

Removing AD from leadership was the smartest thing the Devs have done to date. Getting AD that way was lazy, cheap, and needed to go. AD is supposed to be EARNED through playing the game, not handed out just for selecting task.

So explain to me how that is any different than someone making a gemmed set of pants and selling them for upwards of 400,000AD (from what i've heard)? Did that somehow take more work? Should all profession items be removed from the TH to prevent AD profit for doing nothing? Lets be fair about 1 thing regarding leadership, it was ROUGH AD's, thus you were capped with the 24k everyone can convert in a day....the same can't be said for items made in every other profession. The problem people seem to have is "leadership armies", however that could have been easily addressed without nerfing the profession. As of now there is absolutely nothing worth using the leadership profession for, which is the real rub people have. It's fine to take RAD's away, but in doing so you should replace it with something of value (XP and a few silver coins is not enough).

um, I guess you are missing the FACT that there are still 3 tasks that reward AD in leadership lol.

ALSO, who's fault is it that people buy pants/shirts for 400K AD? NOT the person who made it, its the buyer. IF no one bought the shirt/pants, the people making them would Loose a **** ton of AD/materials. So think about all the angles before posting an ignorant response to me.
    To advocate the removal of AD trough leadership is weird, bizarre and beyond my understanding to be honest. Like someone said we where cap at 24K a day...

I just joined a PVP match because of the event, just to see if i was mistaken or not on this mode, and nop, it was everything i tough it would be. I couldn't do much, i was barely hitting them at all, i manage to get 2 kills out of pure "kill stealing" if i can say and died 7 times, despite my team easily winning the match. Thanks for the fact i was match with stronger character but how fun is that to finish 2-7 ? I hate the fact the characters are unbalanced, you need balance in VS encounters, and here its all about the Gear and the stats you have. Does not help that im a Guardian Fighter but still....

And well it did pay me 3K AD, sure, but thats not what i enjoy and what i want to do to get diamonds you get me? Leadership felt like a really fun part of a role playing game, you manage your own mercenary compagny and they bring back money, thats good.

If this is remove, there should be other ways to earn diamonds by playing, i dunno, like doing dungeons, even easier one, they could give 500 RAD every time, event or not... this was at least we could earn some by playing. But at my current level and all, i can't get AD by playing exept during dungeons events... even skirmish is off at the moment due to my level...

Anyway i feel like going in circle...
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    What 3 tasks in leadership provide RAD? What level? I only got to 18...so if it is higher, explains why I did not know.

Also...if you are providing a service such as gemmed pants, rings, or whatever the target market is...it is not the same as getting RAD from nothing.

One is a business man and another is a single mom waiting for her bridge card.
    1.) neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Leadership

2.) I was responding to Sharpass, he/she was implying that people who make pants/shirts should not make any AD from them. He/she was implying that since Leadership AD got taken out (which it didn't completely) that no one should make AD from pants/shirts.
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    I got it...I was too responding to him
    So i will finally be able to make some AD again by lev 20... well you give me a tiny hop, but considering the fact it took me that damn long to get to lev 16...oh boy... its not for tomorow to get 20...

I want to understand your logic guys... so basically if i make pants and stuff to sell, its ok to get AD because its players that buy it, but if i do in game task, role playing... its not? What if protecting a diamond shipement as the boss of a faction is role playing for me, and i consider i should earn currency in the game(and no, not coppers as there worth jack nothing)

At first when i started playing, this being my first MMO too, i didn't understand the professions, i was like "ok i click a button and wait???" but then i eventually got into them.. i tough they where fun, a good way to feel invested in this game.

Also the game was so greedy in diamond rewards that it was at least something. I rocked a HAMSTER terrible looking base armor until like lev 55... took me til lev 60 to be able to finally buy an armor that looked good and unique, and its nothing spectacular in term of gears score/item score, but at least my character look like something...

What im saying is i feel robbed, cheated, to have something i earned and was due be removed from me for no other reason than "pull out your wallet cashcow" There is call of duty and those games there already for that...

Instead of removing stuff to make us pay for what we where used to be able to get normally, why don't they just come up with newer interessing stuff. I mean they give us 1 lockboxe every 1:30 min of play, yet the keys are expensive and you can't get them without paying... or exchanging diamonds.. This feel enough already... but if they want to add other stuff for rewarding paying with real money, cosmethics for exemple... then yes ok. But here they cut everything...
  • sharpassassin1sharpassassin1 Member Posts: 70 Arc User

um, I guess you are missing the FACT that there are still 3 tasks that reward AD in leadership lol.

ALSO, who's fault is it that people buy pants/shirts for 400K AD? NOT the person who made it, its the buyer. IF no one bought the shirt/pants, the people making them would Loose a **** ton of AD/materials. So think about all the angles before posting an ignorant response to me.

It certainly doesn't take much to get someone's panties in a bunch....if you're going to voice an opinion you should be prepared for someone to have an opposing view, if we all agreed then what would be the point of discussion forums? Now take a breath and act like an articulate mature adult...or throw a tantrum, either way is the same to me

On to your point....so let me understand this, earning upwards of 200-300k AD's is a justifiable aspect of the game that is neither lazy nor cheap yet getting 1-2k RAD's is? Your argument ignores the basic fact that the entire profession aspect of the game isn't playing the game (by everyone's definition of earning AD's through leadership)....you can't simply segregate leadership because it's a guaranteed form of RAD's while ignoring the reality of the value of all other profession items on the TH. Yes it's a business transaction, but only 1 person in that transaction is required to play the actual game (as you put it).

As for whose fault it is that people buy pants for 400k...of course that is directly on the devs as they ultimately control the economy through the availability or scarcity of an item. In order to fully spec your character you're going to need a quality set of clothing and I have NEVER seen an epic gemed set of clothing drop in this game (i'm not going to say that it doesn't happen, it just hasn't for me).

Again I have no issue with removing RAD's from leadership, however the issue is and has been that they replaced it with nothing...as of now my level 18 leadership grants me roughly a few silver coins and a few thousand XP. That's borderline laughable considering it takes running upwards of 3 times as many tasks to gain the same amount of xp as any other profession (lord forbid i say time or work).

The bottom line is in true MMO fashion they nerfed something that simply needed an adjustment
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    im not sure how you can compare RAD from leadership to making AD from creating and selling products from the other professions.

for one thing, it takes some AD to make some AD with the other professions. you need to spend money on materials, tools, and epic level "crafters". yes you can farm some things that you need, but you can't farm everything you need. also you are providing a product of value, which is good for any kind of economy, game or reality. and if you sell some pants for 400k, that is not what your profit is. the profit margin is small, and the cost is high, because it cost a lot to make them in the first place.

RAD from leadership is almost like welfare... i say almost because at least it's not taking other peoples AD to give out through leadership. but what you do take away is activity. like i said before with the other professions, you have to go out and earn some AD to make AD... farm materials, farm seals, you have to DO something. with leadership you don't. shifting AD to running skirmishes and dungeons also encourages people to do them. it's nice to have an active community.

i do agree that they could make leadership have more value... or at least reduce the time it takes to level. as it stands, it is not worth it to me to continue leveling leadership unless i max all other professions that i am interested in.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin