test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance 8/13 at 6am PDT

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited August 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Update: Maintenance has ended.

We'll have maintenance tomorrow 8/13 at 6am PDT for roughly 3 hours. Patch notes can be found here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9501413

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by strumslinger on

Comments

• Options
    damedanniedamedannie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Is this to also fix the loading issues? and the crashes?
  • Options
    fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Um?! So, how about fixing the crasher, blackouts, freezes, insane lag on some dungeons ( MC ) ;-;
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    Thank you for allowing us to donate if guild marks are maxed :smile:
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    My reaction upon finding out that there would be another 3 hours maintenance (that may last up to 6 hours...):

2UA35Ap.gif
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    markoose55markoose55 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    is today maintenance actually going to be 3 hours or will it be 5-6 hour again ? so frustration when they lie about how long things will take :/
  • Options
    ramarthramarth Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Well being as they did cut our 2x XP event short by 3 days this is no surprise and they Again have problems with their servers NOT being able to handle the Traffic.
    It will not surprise me if they have to take 6 hours to Adjust for the added Traffic of Players wanting to Get a shot at Strongholds.
    Speaking from a developers point of View, We are all A bunch of Cash producing Trees.
    Now go and Get on with your live, get to know you wife children Friends Ect for the next three - Six hours. watch a movie even.

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    magenubbie wrote: »
    markoose55 wrote: »
    is today maintenance actually going to be 3 hours or will it be 5-6 hour again ? so frustration when they lie about how long things will take :/
    Uh huh. They always lie about that. What good would it do them to give a true approximation as they see it? They like to upset users. It makes the game very popular and it gets loads of free advertising through that. And what better way to do that than by misleading users about maintenance time and tripling it as soon as it is believable to do so?

[size=smaill]/sarcasm[/size]

What I don't understand is why no dev in no mmo I've seen uses the scotty principle. Who doesn't want to be known as a miracle worker?

• Options
    bobby4700bobby4700 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 179 Arc User
    I' m sure after this large problem they are short handed (because some will be working on fixes ) but its in there best interest to have game up as soon as possible. that being said hope they stick tooo the 3 hour 's and hope we dont have to have another couple added on but if we do it won' t cost u anytthing extra :D
  • Options
    leafayeleafaye Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Strum! :)

Tell the NW crew to take as long as it takes to do it right! :) Their work -- like the fab NW artists -- are GREATLY appreciated here from providing me FREE gripping eye-candy thrills! You all keep up the great work! In the meanwhile, anyone care to hunt me down in Royal Quest?? :)

Take well & care all! :)

Leafa(ye)
    (Now lvl 49 playing NW on a 9-year-old 1.5gig Thinkpad R60e despite expected low-rez & jerky skippy motion & occasional crashes and was playing A-OK all through last night! :) )
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    ramarth wrote: »
    Well being as they did cut our 2x XP event short by 3 days.

They stated that the 2xXP would last until Mod7 was released....that's exactly what happened if I recall correctly?
    In addition, we’re holding Double XP until Strongholds launches! Now’s your chance to get all those alts to level 70 so they’ll be prepped and ready to take on everything Strongholds has to offer.

Double XP starts: Friday, July 31 at 10am PDT

Double XP ends: Tuesday, August 11 at 10am PDT

and yes, the Scotty Principle. Use it and love it. "Our maintenance is expected to last 8 hours today". "Guys, maintenance finished up early, welcome back!" Feel the love.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why no dev in no mmo I've seen uses the scotty principle. Who doesn't want to be known as a miracle worker?
    mir·a·cle
    ˈmirək(ə)l/
    noun
    noun: miracle; plural noun: miracles

- a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.
    "the miracle of rising from the grave"
    synonyms: wonder, marvel, sensation, phenomenon, supernatural phenomenon, mystery
    "his recovery was a blessed miracle"

- a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.
    "it was a miracle that more people hadn't been killed or injured"

- an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.
    "a machine which was a miracle of design"
    synonyms: wonder, marvel, sensation, phenomenon, supernatural phenomenon, mystery
    "his recovery was a blessed miracle"

They do work miracles... just not the ones any of us want :) I mean, after all, there's the competition to think about, what would THEY consider a miracle?

• Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    I know right. I use it in my work every single day.
    Serious estimate+10% insecurity+5% murphy's law= estimate given to your user.
    Very sensible approach, though I would add on a further 5% to allow for the affects of Sod's Law, i.e.

Murphy's Law = If something can wrong, it will go wrong....
    Sod's Law = ....and it will pick the least convenient time to do so

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well being as they did cut our 2x XP event short by 3 days.

They stated that the 2xXP would last until Mod7 was released....that's exactly what happened if I recall correctly?
    In addition, we’re holding Double XP until Strongholds launches! Now’s your chance to get all those alts to level 70 so they’ll be prepped and ready to take on everything Strongholds has to offer.

Double XP starts: Friday, July 31 at 10am PDT

Double XP ends: Tuesday, August 11 at 10am PDT

and yes, the Scotty Principle. Use it and love it. "Our maintenance is expected to last 8 hours today". "Guys, maintenance finished up early, welcome back!" Feel the love.

Actually Double XP ended on Monday - almost a full day before Stronghgolds launched. Yet another lie from Cryptic.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    eviloldwolfeviloldwolf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    charononus wrote: »
    markoose55 wrote: »
    Uh huh. They always lie about that. What good would it do them to give a true approximation as they see it? They like to upset users. It makes the game very popular and it gets loads of free advertising through that. And what better way to do that than by misleading users about maintenance time and tripling it as soon as it is believable to do so?

[size=smaill]/sarcasm[/size]

I know right. I use it in my work every single day.
    Serious estimate+10% insecurity+5% murphy's law= estimate given to your user.

idk. maybe they fear that a default maintenance of 4 hours is unbelievable? Well, it isn't to me. Most MMOs have a 4-6h maintenance.

I am sure it is at least partly because a good portion of the user base has the expectation that their weekly housekeeping should take the same amount of time as rebooting a home computer. They make the classic mistake of attempting to keep people happy by given them the “best possible” time, instead of a realistic number. It always backfires, but it is a common mistake in Tech.

I’m also wondering if there isn’t some sort of contractual requirements as to the length of their maintenance windows. Either to Wizards or even internally within PWI where they have to keep “normal” maintenance/patches at 3 hours and extended at 6 hours or some such.
  • Options
    itstheyokitstheyok Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    no progress updates to be found....are things on track?
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Game's live, 30 minutes early.

So I suppose all the complainers will now come back to the thread and say "Maintenance ended early! Devs lied!" ... or maybe not.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    If the license involved more than just the content of the game and included in-house policies PWE would have never signed it.

My bet is on a contract, forcing them to syncronize release dates with WotC. I can remember a release note from WotC announcing WoD release dates for PC BEFORE there was a statement from PW. They changed it to 'around ...' and PW released the first part of the module 'around..'.

This would explain, why we get modules in bits and pices and why sometimes the released module feels/is unfinished by most standards.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Well being as they did cut our 2x XP event short by 3 days this is no surprise

ONE day. 24 hours.

People's tendency to overstate the magnitude of errors doesn't help.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
This discussion has been closed.