test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update: Leadership on Gateway

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
The developers have provided an update to the suspension of Leadership on Gateway: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9489863

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    It's unfortunate that the other professions are so niche that they aren't worth banning from the Gateway.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    All I read was "nothing, nothing, 2x AD, nothing".

That's not news people, nor a fix.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I gotta agree with Lia... there was no actual information there.

Also, there's a crucial difference between trying to ensure players can earn AD for progression and not making progression so danged tied to AD generation in the first place. Not having much by way of an income actually wasn't an enormous problem until the introduction of the refinement system and then artifact equipment.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    lithllithl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Gateway still just says "No data available in table" when attempting to look at Leadership tasks. You need a proper error message that won't utterly confound anyone who doesn't check news posts.
  • Options
    lithl wrote: »
    Gateway still just says "No data available in table" when attempting to look at Leadership tasks. You need a proper error message that won't utterly confound anyone who doesn't check news posts.

Preview patch notes for Strongholds indicated better error messaging should be in effect, but the preview Gateway error is the same as live.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    nanners#9564 nanners Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Hi dev, thanks for the update.

As you may aware, the reason why more and more ppl are relying on building leadership, is to get a sense of security of having a reliable and steady income, in order to keep up the pace of the new gear and amount of RP needed to progress.

Why? because ever since the GH enchants nerf and BoP/BoA drop in dungeons are introduced etc etc, in time these changes have limited all the possible ways of making AD by simply playing the game (especially pvpers) and no way to get the amount of RP needed, unless u bot or glitch or whatever dodgy ways people find - which is a clear indication that something is not working correctly as a game.

I admit an artifact gear or a rank 12 or a transcendent enchant shldn't be something you get on day 1, it needs to be a somewhat ultimate goal that you work on for a long time to achieve. However, with the rate you introduce new modules, one could never have enough time to build up the current gear before next module releases, and all the bis gear that's been worked on get rendered obsolete. At the current state, there's nothing to farm legitimately to get barely any resources for 1 or 2 equip or enchantment for 1 character before new mod, where everyone has to start from scratch again, so there's no sense of accomplishment, but a disrespect for all efforts put in at any given time. This is what driving ppl mad.

Suggestions:

1) Take your time, and introduce well-thought/balanced gears with set bonuses that we need to play and work on for a long time and will last for a while as well.
    2) You mentioned some changes will be made to reward players sufficiently - as reassuring as it sounds, consider restoring leadership on gateway after you introduced/tested them, i.e repolish the rest of the farmable content and dungeons etc. (leadership shld not be the only means of AD gain but a bonus)
    3) Bring back BoE drops and high-end rewards through dungeons boss/chest. (PVE aspect, just an example of "anti-bot" measure, while rewarding players who actually play the game)

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Poor implementation of changes leading to vague assurances of a remedy are not conducive to retaining committed players. I think I'm just going to stick to invoking whilst trying to avoid the shambles of Mod 6, miss Mod 7 completely and hope that Mod 8 will be worth my attention. Hopefully.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    morrowind69morrowind69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    1-Ban the AD seller .
    2-make daily quests reward some AD .
    3-3 days poor event cant make users happy.
  • Options
    jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User

Economy for Zen to AD appears better after the change. Still waiting to see if the ZAX stabilizes at a lower number.

• Options
    brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Apparently whatever happens in Blacklake, stays in Blacklake...
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    People were demanding an update. We got an update. Though there isn't a whole lot of information about what's going on, it appears to me that they are still analyzing the situation. At least they said something about it, rather than let everyone sit and start rumors.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    poppakrodahpoppakrodah Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    that isn't an update. Your previous posts implied it would be coming back to the gateway. An update would tell us when that is going to happen.

Can you give us an actual answer? Will leadership be returning to the gateway?

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I gotta agree with Lia... there was no actual information there.

Also, there's a crucial difference between trying to ensure players can earn AD for progression and not making progression so danged tied to AD generation in the first place. Not having much by way of an income actually wasn't an enormous problem until the introduction of the refinement system and then artifact equipment.

Exactly, AD was a nicety not a necessity when you could farm epic everything in game. Now that the new BIS gear requirement changes faster than you can farm it. AD has become a necessity to create your build. Specifically you need AD to buy RP from those people who somehow have an abundance of it (someone please teach me how). The game either needs to provide better sources of AD for playing or RP for playing.

Moderator edited out request for rule violations.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I am sorry that I had to remove those few comments but they would not have made sense to leave them after I had to edit that other comment. Please keep discussions on topic. Thanks.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Obviously I can not speak for everyone, but personally, I can do leadership just as fast in game as I was doing on the Gateway. Maybe a little slower with invoking too, but I don't have to keep clicking through the pages in the game and it remembers where I was scrolled to. Just my 2 cents. Not being able to do it away from home kinda sucks, but I just deal with that. The Exchange did go down and I am hoping it doesn't go back up in the millions again. Personally, I don't think that it will.

EDIT: I hereby retract my statement about the Exchange due to unforeseen circumstances. In other words, I didn't know about or predict the VIP system.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kreatyve wrote: »
    Obviously I can not speak for everyone, but personally, I can do leadership just as fast in game as I was doing on the Gateway. /quote]

that is because you don't know how to use the gateway properly

using the search function and the backspace key makes a huge difference. Doing it online is about twice as fast as doing it in game, the invoking time is irrelevant, you spend that time in game either way.

and doing it in game isn't an option if you're at work, on vacation, away from your computer, or your internet is down. I know because my internet was down for about 24 hours and I was able to do all my profs via cellphone, except for leadership.

This wasn't an update. If that is all he has to tell us, he should just say "no new updates, still working on a solution"

"leadership will be back on the gateway" or "leadership will never be back on the gateway" would be an update

• Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    So I guess it means "leadership never goes back on the gateway". As to who should it affect, I think the answer is obvious.
  • Options
    adent086adent086 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well, for what it is worth, I'll add my .02 AD here:

The question that is running around my guild, and frankly has some people outright worried about the future of this game, is:

If they thought turning off AD in Gateway was a good way to control/force players (note the word "players" not "boters") to do things their (the dev's) way; how long until they think it is a good idea to turn it off in game too?

Honestly, I am not trying to be a "chicken little" here; but you have to admit the suddenness and what seems to be permanent nature (even though they don't want to come out and say it) of this move is MORE than a LITTLE concerning; on MANY different levels.

I mean : "we are re-examining the various non-profession methods of earning Astral Diamonds." Woah, what the heck does THAT mean? Are the devs seeking these "non-profession" ways of making AD INSTEAD of and in place of Leadership in game? Or, are they going back to a more even-handed approach like it was pre-mod 6 disaster, where you could do either one or even *gasp* both; you know, as the player *gasp* could CHOOSE and WANTED to do?

Honestly, how are we, the lowly players, supposed to know the difference with all of the "knee-jerk" reactions coming out of Cryptic lately?

Cryptic REALLY needs someone who has actually had schooling, or an actual degree in communications running their press releases; because the poor quality of them coming out is just getting embarrassing. (Not yelling at Andy here. That poor, overworked and underappreciated, guy is just repeating what he has been told by someone else.) The QUANTITY of communication coming out of Cryptic of late is actually approaching an acceptable level. The QUALITY of those communications still leaves much to be desired. This latest one is a perfect example of the latter.

Summary:
    Three things need to get covered in this weeks' community corner concerning this specific issue:

1. Is leadership ever coming back to Gateway in any form? Period. Yes or No.
    2. Do the devs have any plans (in the next several mods) to make changes to (or remove) leadership in game?
    3. Are the non-profession forms of Astral Diamond making opportunities that are being looked at, and possibly being returned to the game, in addition to the way that Leadership functions now? (Kind of a repeat of 2, but with more information being requested.)

Thanks to the devs for any effort put into quieting community concerns over what is possibly one of the MOST important subjects in the game.

Peace All.

P.S. No "Dilithium" mining. Just no. Gods no.
    Telling us about upcoming content updates, and getting those updates out the door BUG-FREE, is *AWESOME*!! Know what's even *MORE* awesome? Fixing game breaking bugs (and/or undocumented "features") that have been in EXISTING content for months/years!!! Guess which one makes me want to spend money on a game much more than the other? Hint: It's the "more awesome" one.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Obviously I can not speak for everyone, but personally, I can do leadership just as fast in game as I was doing on the Gateway.... I don't have to keep clicking through the pages in the game and it remembers where I was scrolled to.

Using the "back" button made a world of speed difference. Can't do that in-game at all.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    Obviously I can not speak for everyone, but personally, I can do leadership just as fast in game as I was doing on the Gateway. Maybe a little slower with invoking too, but I don't have to keep clicking through the pages in the game and it remembers where I was scrolled to. Just my 2 cents. Not being able to do it away from home kinda sucks, but I just deal with that. The Exchange did go down and I am hoping it doesn't go back up in the millions again. Personally, I don't think that it will.

I think its been mentioned several times that the gateway provided an option to keep up with professions while people sat in the overly long queues for pvp and dungeons. Does the nerf to the leadership gateway impact their ability to do professions on one toon while playing, no. Does it impact ones ability to manage a leadership farm while playing, yes.

I think everyone can agree that the changes impacted the casual gamers far more than the hardcore gamers and the
    tousseau wrote: »
    botters/gold sellers?

Everyone plays the game differently, just because you were not personally impacted does not mean others were not impacted. If they closed down PVP tomorrow i wouldn't be impacted one bit... but do you think the player base would be impacted?

I know the changes and the solutions are not your design, and I'm not trying to be rude. I just want to make sure you the moderators are championing the voice of the casual players because you know they are right, regardless if their playing style is consistent with your own.

• Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    An empty update was like poking a sleeping beast.

Personally I have a lot of characters because leveling is a relatively refreshing alternative when tired of doing the same endgame tasks every day on each character. As part of leveling and/or endgame it helps to do the five daily world dragons and, if the char is high enough, Tiamat. World Dragons take 20 minutes to spawn so if we cut that in half to 10 minutes we get an average wait time of 10 minutes per dragon, per character. Plus more for Tiamat and any other queueing events such as a few rounds of pvp or one of the few remaining dungeons.

Trying to do all five world dragons on one character typically results in close to an hour spent sitting and waiting, a lot of riding around, and a small fraction of the time actually pew pewing dragons. ToD changed the game from something where we were constantly fighting something to a game where we spend over an hour waiting or running around and a few minutes fighting. When I try to do the same daily routine necessary for boons of two characters I've spent almost two hours sitting and waiting doing nothing. Do it with four or five alts and you've spent almost the whole day sitting on your mount waiting for dragons to appear.

Doing Leadership on alts on the Gateway during that downtime was one of the few things which made all that waiting reasonably tolerable.

Since we don't have that anymore I instead often go to another browser and watch a video or something. If I come back and the game has timed out I'm often relieved and just give up for the day.

Gamers are often ADD by definition. We play because we like continuous action. Building a mod around the idea of people sitting and waiting all the time tells me you don't understand gamers at all. Taking away one of the few actually rewarding things they could do to make all that waiting bearable tells me the same thing. An 'empty' update does little more than wake what was at least a sleeping angry bear and get it growling. It tells me you don't just lack understanding of players, you don't understand people very well either.

I would suggest telling people 'We're listening' when you're making changes based upon their feedback. When you tell them 'We're listening' but nothing changes it just sounds like '...but we don't give a hoot'. In other words update if something is actually happening, otherwise you're just prodding a nest of bees.

• Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Blah,blah blah we looking...blah blah blah, don't see bots..blah blah blah temporary bonus AD events, blah blah blah.

1.Looking isn't fixing...(I looked at the shovel and thought about digging, but decided not to because looking at it was easier)
    2.Don't see bots.... (nope, *whistling* no bots here *as bots steal all the furnishings*, nope nothing here to see, move along)
    3.TEMPORARY 2x EVENTS I.E. not a fix, a bandaid, (hope they are happy...maybe they will be so busy scrambling for AD in the event they won't notice) it's the same broken "hour boost" mentality as always.

I see in comments someone saying that the Zen market is good. What do you think is actually happening?

It's basic economics, supply and demand. The former sellers of AD are reading with the posts this: Future scarcity of AD, possible changing of "free" AD from leadership skill to 0 AD. Future earning of AD tied to "events" (note most "events" are tied to weekends, so those that don't play weekends are going to be asked to take it in the posterior without lube :/) etc. etc.

So human nature being as it is, what do you do when you think you are going to run out of something you want? You hoard. So all those millions of AD sitting on the Zen market just waiting for one person to exchange some Zen are off the market and back into their players bank accounts.

Nothing was "fixed" via the zen market, everyone is just in hunker down mode. Who IS actually selling on the Zen exchange? LOL the AD/gold sellers! They just changed their customer base, now they will sell the AD earned for zen, then sell that outmarket when the new "fix" is in. It's like the criminals that provide illegal services/goods for food stamps, they take 2x stamps vs. dollars in exchange, then they make a deal with a merchant to trade them for 70 or 80% on the dollar. They get paid more, ultimately for a little laundering of stamps.

I'm sorry to say, that the double-speak "information" imparted in the Dev blog is just as informative as most governmental/political press conferences....bunch of hot air. TRULY Orwellian.
  • Options
    kungomaximokungomaximo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    adent086 wrote: »
    Well, for what it is worth, I'll add my .02 AD here:
    1. Is leadership ever coming back to Gateway in any form? Period. Yes or No.
    2. Do the devs have any plans (in the next several mods) to make changes to (or remove) leadership in game?

What he said.

If i may make some suggestions/pleas that i'm sure have already been made somewhere:

- I'd be content if leadership came back to gateway even partially, say up to task at level ~14 (war games training/patrol mines to be clear) that are reasonably long and give "enough" profession experience. You can even take out AD generating tasks, at least can level profession without logging in every 2/4 hours.
    - if you plan to leave it only in game, pretty please add either a queue (maybe with a limit, say 4 tasks or 24 hours max) or for lower prof levels add longer tasks to level up profession.

Point is not everyone can login every hour, so make it a bit more user friendly, since it's already very long to get to level 20/25.
    And yes i know the gateway is a very good perk of neverwinter and isn't strictly necessary, but once you get used to the good stuff, you can only lament when you don't have it anymore.

As for 2xAD weekend, i liked it. You should make it a permanent thing, like every first weekend of the month or something like that. And please announce it on a timely fashion (not the day before).

My 2 AD
  • Options
    My biggest issue is this - people are complaining that they actually have to log in the game now to earn money. In my opinion (which is in no way influenced or endorsed by Cryptic or PWE) they should have never allowed Leadership to be done on the Gateway in the first place. You should not be able to earn money and level up in game without ever logging on past level 10. If you don't have time to play the game, then you don't have time to do the leadership tasks in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    My biggest issue is this - people are complaining that they actually have to log in the game now to earn money. In my opinion (which is in no way influenced or endorsed by Cryptic or PWE) they should have never allowed Leadership to be done on the Gateway in the first place. You should not be able to earn money and level up in game without ever logging on past level 10. If you don't have time to play the game, then you don't have time to do the leadership tasks in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

that is great, here is my 2 cents:

the problem is if the gateway didn't exist, I would never have gotten into this game. It was a huge draw for someone who works to be able to spend a few minutes at lunch and get an in game benefit. I could do the gateway on my phone or tablet if I was on vacation or my internet was down. I would still be playing DDO if leadership and the gateway didn't exist.

Taking it away permanently will drive me (and quite a few others) away permanently. I can play other games that don't have a web based tie in. I'm putting up with it until they give us a final word on the matter, which is I suspect why they didn't give us final word in this "update".

I just want to know what their final solution is, so I can make my decision.