test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

State of PvP

mercbenz360mercbenz360 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited August 2015 in PvP Discussion
It's absolutely ridiculous. There's no real gameplay involved, it's all who you are matched against. I either go 18-1 and melt people down or I'm perma stealthed and stunned to death where I can't even attack and go 1-8 or worse. Just look at the leaderboards, it's all TRs and premades. And here's the thing, I've played MMOs for a long time (DAOC ruled) and a premade meant a great group, coordinated, well geared, etc. This game is all 1 golden path spec and OP classes. There's no room to be a hybrid spec or anything unique.

PvP is busted and Cryptic is doing nothing about it. And it's not just about TRs, the whole class balance, the match making, 2 maps for months, etc. I grind PvE for the fun of PvP but it's pointless. Who cares I finally got my perfect vorpal when I spent the whole match stunned and chasing ghosts?

But hey, there's new lockboxes next week and some lame event. Great priorities...
Post edited by mercbenz360 on

Comments

• Options
    drawmaster1212drawmaster1212 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I agree completely, despite the overwhelming backlash of people agreeing that TR need to be rebalanced and with the top leaderboards showing the statistics of how powerful they dominate pvp, it seems cryptic continues to duck this issue for some reason.

But lets just say for the sake of arguing that TR are fine the way they are and don't need any nerfing at all, the fact that the matchmaking will not balance out the classes causes 1 way win/lose scenarios from the very start of the match no matter how maxed out you are. it seems way too often for a enemy to run over to my own ring from the start of the match, kill me and capture it with no way of me or my team being able to getting it back thus creating the 1000pts-4pts games. I built my cleric for pvp and did hours of research/grinding to perfected him but I cant heal a teammate when he/she is getting 1 shot, or heal even myself when I am getting stunned/held at my own spawn.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I just can't believe they are making all the mistakes early MMOs had decades ago. Stun locks, stacking skills, no immunity timers, no diminishing returns on CC, etc. These issues have been solved for decades, but they just don't seem to care. 6+ months on XBox One now and not a single balance change? 2 Maps still? Class and gear doesn't matter to the matchmaking, etc. It's actually pathetic now.

What happened in all those games was PvP becomes nothing but premades that wait around for perfect and complimentary classes/builds before going in vs. the same or casual "lambs" and they eventually get fed up and leave PvP or the game. The community is starting to see it since PvP is becoming a Tiamat fight. Everyone plays the first 2 minutes, sees what happens and one team spends the rest sitting at the campfire. Wow, that's fun. This game has so much more potential and they just refuse to communicate balance changes or do anything.
  • Options
    caharan25caharan25 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    You guys should research before crying.

Elle ~ HR ~ Q-SNIPE
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    caharan25 wrote: »
    You guys should research before crying.

I AM a TR, so no tears here. I bring this up because I hope the game can be successful and balancing the classes and matchmaking will be a big part of that.

Great contribution to the thread, thanks for stopping by.

• Options
    kaithedragonbornkaithedragonborn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Definitely agree PVP is broken and needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    somemintsomemint Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    PvP here is something like Call of Duty with magic and swords.

You have no longterm goals (in DAOC, IIRC, you can capture and hold keeps/towers that give you access to special in-game areas; in Anarchy Online you have to build and protect control towers, etc.), no open-world PvP yet, no long lasting buffs (like in LA or WoW). You can't become PK and ambush new/low geared players like in Ultima Online and rez kill them indefinitely. There is no permanent death penalties. No rewards beside glory points.

You simply queue and hope that matchmaking favors you this time. And if it does, have a good fun. If not, well, matches are really short, no need to be upset, it is just a game. And there is always an option to enlist yourself in one of the PvP-oriented guilds.

That said, I'd really enjoy some tweaks and balancing myself. In the meantime, I try to stay positive.
  • Options
    melychath2melychath2 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    And sometimes you don't even get Glory. In a sorely one-sided match where you're on the losing team, but still making an effort to fight the enemy? Too bad, you get no glory because your team didn't do well enough. Really!? They have two near-unkillable DCs, two one-shot TRs, and a Tank. We have a Warlock, Tank, a couple HRs that haven't figured their class out yet, and the PvP-required Rogue. It's not surprising that we lose 1000-90, but we at least fought to the end, and yet still receive no glory.
    The problem is that there's not near enough money to be made in PvP. Why would they fix a system with so little potential for monetary gain?
    If I didn't enjoy this game I wouldn't bother saying anything, but it is because I do enjoy this game that such clearly broken mechanics are so upsetting to me. Why create a game mode in which competitive players are forced into such narrow molds to expect to be successful? Why create a game mode in which at least one class (I can't speak to all of them, but I'm pretty sure you know which class is the weakest) is not even viable for a competitive gamer?
  • Options
    xxxsfalxxxxxxsfalxxx Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Until they expand it, it seems pretty much a waste if you already have the artifact at 59. Except for those days when 4 matches (assuming 1 of them puts you on a group against a group where you can get the win) nets you all three tasks and the AD that goes along with them. Some say that's a waste AD-wise, and maybe it is, but we've probably all spent longer for less AD on any number of things in this game. Dread Vault gone wrong, vtk in CN, Tiamat black at 80% when first round ends or white at 3% when third round ends, trying to pick up supplies on the battlefield while first none drop then getting disconnected, and so on.
  • Options
    caharan25caharan25 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Youre right i didnt post forum links and web pages for you. Quit being lazy like 70% of the people that play this game. Changes are due before the new year. Had you done research you probably wount of came here crying about something explained in a billion other posts.
    Elle ~ HR ~ Q-SNIPE
  • Options
    caharan25 wrote: »
    Youre right i didnt post forum links and web pages for you. Quit being lazy like 70% of the people that play this game. Changes are due before the new year. Had you done research you probably wount of came here crying about something explained in a billion other posts.

We don't know if what's on PC is coming exact. From my understanding (doing research) the Xbox One version mashes up some of the mods, so only PW knows what the plan is and when.

In the meantime, we are stuck with poor class balance, crappy matchmaking, and 2 maps. I'm not sure if you're debating those things which were the topic my OP, just being a typical troll, or what your deal is really. If you're not going to enlighten us all with your profound wisdom on how to solve those things in our game right now (did you make more maps for yourself?) then why bother posting for people discussing things?

• Options
    melychath2 wrote: »
    Why create a game mode in which competitive players are forced into such narrow molds to expect to be successful? Why create a game mode in which at least one class (I can't speak to all of them, but I'm pretty sure you know which class is the weakest) is not even viable for a competitive gamer?

Well, it all basically depends on the final goal. Major portion of the software is written to make money in one way or another. This is not a bad thing at all, just the way our world is. From my personal experience, people who enjoy PvP are always in the minority. So it is absolutely natural that product owner tries to cater for PvE fans, who earn him more.

• Options
    trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    IDK... i know quite a few people on the top of leaderboards that have spent THOUSANDS lol. Its kind of crazy.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    IDK... i know quite a few people on the top of leaderboards that have spent THOUSANDS lol. Its kind of crazy.

I just looked at page 1 and 2 tonight. The amount of TRs is incredible. I held a node for a long portion of the match vs. 4 today and yeah it was fun for me, but its still broken. Granted it was a pug and no one seemed to know the "good" counters, but still.

• Options
    azuosed89azuosed89 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    pvp seems dead until mod 6 i guess. many people quitting, some of the mod 6 announced too early, some because pvp is kind of broken now with rogues and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>;(
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
  • Options
    spyg0atspyg0at Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Definitely agree PVP is broken and needs to be fixed.

You think it's helping anything when people refuse to drop in and fight because they're scared?

2.5K DC PVP & PVE <Q-Snipe>
  • Options
    sudnd3thsudnd3th Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    azuosed89 wrote: »
    pvp seems dead until mod 6 i guess. many people quitting, some of the mod 6 announced too early, some because pvp is kind of broken now with rogues and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>;(

Its the mindsets like that are the reason why no one pvp's. The hardcore pvper's will always want to pvp, the casual pvpers are the ones that give up on it cause they can't do anything. Yeah i get PO'd sometimes but i don't stop pvping, might take a break but i get back on later and do it again. The one's that really enjoy pvp will always play it.

What we need is a way to make it more enjoyable to the casual ones. We need a more balanced pvp. Now it won't matter tho if your not willing to make the effort to get into it. If you don't put the time in to get the gear you won't be able to keep up. When you start to pvp you will always get stomped on no matter what cause there is people who are geared out for it.

If you are into competitive pvp then you are always going to be doing your research and trying to get better by tweaking builds, gear, to get the max out of you character.
    suDnd3th - LvL 70 PvP WK Scoundrel TR
    Pyx - LvL 60 PvP AC DC Retired

XB1 GT - suDnd3th
  • Options
    azuosed89azuosed89 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    sudnd3th wrote: »
    azuosed89 wrote: »

Its the mindsets like that are the reason why no one pvp's. The hardcore pvper's will always want to pvp, the casual pvpers are the ones that give up on it cause they can't do anything. Yeah i get PO'd sometimes but i don't stop pvping, might take a break but i get back on later and do it again. The one's that really enjoy pvp will always play it.

What we need is a way to make it more enjoyable to the casual ones. We need a more balanced pvp. Now it won't matter tho if your not willing to make the effort to get into it. If you don't put the time in to get the gear you won't be able to keep up. When you start to pvp you will always get stomped on no matter what cause there is people who are geared out for it.

If you are into competitive pvp then you are always going to be doing your research and trying to get better by tweaking builds, gear, to get the max out of you character.
    there are only a few good pvp guilds, and it has always been like that from the start. many players got scared from even trying with the lack of balance, we did lost a lot of players when mod 6 was announced too earlier though.

Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
  • Options
    sudnd3thsudnd3th Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Thats one thing yes, I know rekt broke up into multiple guilds to keep things interesting, Denial is just over populated i'm pretty sure, or was. A lot of the top pvp guilds have quite a lot of spender also, or had PC players that knew the in's and outs of the game and how to get up to max GS as fast as possible.

You run into a permade team with all 18-20k GS your going to get stomped on no matter what even if game was balanced. Cause most of the other guild are around 15-17k, even then if you new to pvp and run into players with GS like that you will get walked on.

I enjoy this game, It does need a lot of work pvp wise to make things more fun, but it's our job as a community to make things easier for the dev's they can keep tossing nerfs/buffs to classes all day long and its not going to fix anything cause it just makes another problem in a different way. We need to as the players let them know what needs to be done and they can't be drastic nerf's or buffs to classes or they just become obselete classes that don't work anymore. They need to tweak things and not nerf or buff stuff.
    suDnd3th - LvL 70 PvP WK Scoundrel TR
    Pyx - LvL 60 PvP AC DC Retired

XB1 GT - suDnd3th
  • Options
    sudnd3th wrote: »
    Thats one thing yes, I know rekt broke up into multiple guilds to keep things interesting, Denial is just over populated i'm pretty sure, or was. A lot of the top pvp guilds have quite a lot of spender also, or had PC players that knew the in's and outs of the game and how to get up to max GS as fast as possible.

You run into a permade team with all 18-20k GS your going to get stomped on no matter what even if game was balanced. Cause most of the other guild are around 15-17k, even then if you new to pvp and run into players with GS like that you will get walked on.

I enjoy this game, It does need a lot of work pvp wise to make things more fun, but it's our job as a community to make things easier for the dev's they can keep tossing nerfs/buffs to classes all day long and its not going to fix anything cause it just makes another problem in a different way. We need to as the players let them know what needs to be done and they can't be drastic nerf's or buffs to classes or they just become obselete classes that don't work anymore. They need to tweak things and not nerf or buff stuff.

My post started with a number of "issues" that weren't buff or nerf related. I agree that channeling this positively can help, but lets face it - they've just let this all simmer for months. 2.3m PvE players vs. 30k PvPers and you can see why they ignore it, but it's a problem. Nerfs and buffs to classes aren't taboo. That's been an issue since MMO#1. Devs aspire to multiple valid specs, etc. NW is whacked out for some classes and they clearly over (look at the Leaderboards) or Under (SW and GWF on XB1) perform. Something has to be done about that. Here's my outline:

- Remove stacking stun effects. Put in an immunity timer, make the stun duration 1/2 for every stun "improperly" poured on top of an existing stun. Assist trains on one target now take some skill.
    - More maps and game mode variety.
    - MATCHMAKING. Look at GS, Specs, Classes, Time Played, Glory earned, Tenacity, etc. I'm sure the devs would know best here, but come up with a formula to help weight teams. A solo and a team queue may also help.
    - Duels - why not?
    - Personally I think TR's need to be rethought. I love stealthers that can sneak in, execute, and are vulnerable on the way out. That's a ton of fun. A real counter to stealth (maybe a Hunter daily to see stealth or passive is see them in xfeet).
    - SWs and GWF do need some love. SW's are glass cannons and I think a lot of the issues is just that class is going to take deaths, but they have almost no utility (with most specs). Personally I'd look into making temptation more viable for PvP as a support role. GWF need single target damage (that's coming).
    - Kill awards based on damage done, not last hit.
    - More flexible stat awards for healing/clerics. (Show heals in stats)
    - More rewards for PvP. Random gold, random chance at some rough AD, etc.
    - Fix the leaderboards or something.... I dunno, Leaderboard just spawn elitist behavior.

• Options
    evant56evant56 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Why not put a gear score range for pvp 8-9k for new lvl60s 10-12k, 13-15k,17-19k and, 20k+ So average lvl 60 players arent thrown into hardcore match with 20k people
  • Options
    evant56 wrote: »
    Why not put a gear score range for pvp 8-9k for new lvl60s 10-12k, 13-15k,17-19k and, 20k+ So average lvl 60 players arent thrown into hardcore match with 20k people

1. Take off your armor.
    2. Queue for 8k PvP.
    3. Put your armor back on.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Probably because gear score isn't indicative of player ability and quality? Hours played, glory earned, points scored, wins across all characters and lots more would be far more indicative of skill for example.

Gear score is even sillier. I'll load up on AP gain jewels, a perfect vorpal or plaguefire, then some artifacts with other bonuses that don't count like combat adv., roll all the best offhand skill bonuses and stat bonus 400 that doesn't count gear score, run a full set to avoid the 400 + 400 (some 4/4 bonuses are very good 30% more stealth, 50% more damage and faster cool down on rb magic), pop in some rank 6s maybe even 5s, get a perfect soulforge, grab a few dozen major heal pots, and have a few hundred hours of play experience, queue up with all the right classes in my group, etc etc - that's clearly a crappy player there right??? Even PW knows GS is a broken metric since they dump it on mod 6.

I give up, lets rally around this GS idea. F it...

• Options
    somemint wrote: »

1. Take off your armor.
    2. Queue for 8k PvP.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.
    There's a simple fix for that. If your gear score has reached beyond what your trying to queue for it won't all
  • Options
    Allow it**
  • Options
    skidrowbroskidrowbro Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    PvP is broken, plain and simple. There is zero balance to the teams. If you don't p2w with enchants and mounts don't even bother trying to PvP, and I say mounts because if you can't move around the map fast enough you are not going to win. As for classes, TR need fixing. End of story.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    somemint said:

1. Take off your armor.

2. Queue for 8k PvP.

4. ???

5. Profit.

Easy, just block changing gear once queue banner comes up and keep it blocked til the match is over.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    shoukonsshoukons Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

somemint said:

1. Take off your armor.

2. Queue for 8k PvP.

4. ???

5. Profit.

Easy, just block changing gear once queue banner comes up and keep it blocked til the match is over.

That's going to blow against those of us who change our in slot artifact to counter the enemy team. So, when I go against 2034850805809483 TR's I put on ogmas, when it's a balanced team I have waters on main slot etc. It dumbs down the game and makes it roulette for support characters who already have it hard enough.
    Node Troll
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I wish I had an Oghmas to swap out! Most players average at 13k and play with what they have on. If they fix the permastunning as mentioned in another current post then along with the changes announced I think it's fair to pick your best 'all round' gear and go with it.

I do swap skills part way through a match to suit the situation but they ofc don't affect gear score.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox