test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Solution to balancing many armor enchantments!

denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
Several of the armor enchantments are very limited in use because they have an internal Cooldown. Removing those internal cooldowns or tweaking the enchants for a slightly different effect (that keeps the same feel, but is simply more effective) will greatly improve diversity in armor enchantments. The internal cooldowns is the reason people dont use those enchants. The internal cooldown makes them worthless, because 99% of the time, you feel like you're not wearing an armor enchant at all! The change? Add a permanent effect along with the internal cooldown procs a stronger burst of effect.

For example...

Fireburst.. Every attack stacks a damaging DoT effect on the attackers and deals damage based on how many stacks they have. Has a chance to proc a Fireball effect every 30 seconds (like the current effect)

Bloodtheft. Simply removing the internal cooldown completely solves the problem here. Perhaps a little buff to increase life steal when taking damage is a little nice extra too and fits nicely with the theme

Thunderhead. Remove the 10 second cooldown on the smaller damage proc. And remove the crit aspect of the first proc. 20% chance to burst + 30s ICD and lightning damage on every hit received that arcs into nearby enemies similar to lightning enchantment.

Frostburn, remove the internal cooldown and the enchant is good to go.

They are the first examples that come to mind, I think all the agressive armor enchants are really cool in design however their ICD really lowers their utility game wise. I think this move would put more balance in the variety of enchants such as negation and barkshield next to the other ones.
I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread

Comments

• Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    As mentioned in the other Barkshield thread, instead of just some amount of HP, each charge could take away a percentage of damage.
    5%/10%/15%/20%, or something like that.

And it would be nice to see all other enchantments upgraded to a usefull level too. And please remove all those chance to do this or chance to do that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    We allready have enough rng chances in game, would be a good point to remove at least some of it.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    ICD needs to be there to prevent abuse when facing many opponnents. However the effect itself coud be tweaked to provide better bonus.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    ICD needs to be there to prevent abuse when facing many opponnents. However the effect itself coud be tweaked to provide better bonus.

The enchantment balances itself when considering the fact that if there's 2-3 monsters on you you're in trouble. Not mentioning players which is even less. The only reasonable thing for pvp balancing would be DoT users. So limiting them to procs of 1 per second sounds adequate to me...

Honestly that's a pre mod 6 statement, considering how nasty the mobs are now, there is no abuse possible in that direction anymore in PvE

• Options
    tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    AFAIK Frostburn actually works well, except perhaps for lesser/normal version proc rates. It's just that enchantments like Negation are working too well.
    Frostburn can really mess up classes that rely on spamming encounter powers.

Instead of directly reducing/removing the ICD on these enchants, which would open up all kinds of bad possibilities, why not add a "synergy" bonus? Like if you use Fireburst with Flaming, then every attack with Flaming has a chance to reduce the ICD of Fireburst. Also, Flaming does significantly more damage on targets affected by Fireburst, perhaps even cause panic (DR debuff). Different elemental combinations can have other synergies as well. And this would all tie in perfectly with Elemental Evil lore.

We all know that the non-elemental enchants tend to be more powerful than the elemental ones (though it wouldn't hurt if lifedrinker/bloodtheft and barkshield/some other enchant had synergies too), and since we don't seem to have elemental resistances/penalties implemented yet then this would make an adequate temporary "fix" until we do.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    While that's a neat idea, I don't like the way it would simultaneously limit choices. No point using Lightning if you're not also using Thunderhead, etc.

Edit: I do not like not being able to ninja edit my own spelling!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    AFAIK Frostburn actually works well, except perhaps for lesser/normal version proc rates. It's just that enchantments like Negation are working too well.
    Frostburn can really mess up classes that rely on spamming encounter powers.

Instead of directly reducing/removing the ICD on these enchants, which would open up all kinds of bad possibilities, why not add a "synergy" bonus? Like if you use Fireburst with Flaming, then every attack with Flaming has a chance to reduce the ICD of Fireburst. Also, Flaming does significantly more damage on targets affected by Fireburst, perhaps even cause panic (DR debuff). Different elemental combinations can have other synergies as well. And this would all tie in perfectly with Elemental Evil lore.

We all know that the non-elemental enchants tend to be more powerful than the elemental ones (though it wouldn't hurt if lifedrinker/bloodtheft and barkshield/some other enchant had synergies too), and since we don't seem to have elemental resistances/penalties implemented yet then this would make an adequate temporary "fix" until we do.

I love this idea. I really do.

Synergy sounds harder to implement but much more interesting to play

• Options
    denvald wrote: »

The enchantment balances itself when considering the fact that if there's 2-3 monsters on you you're in trouble. Not mentioning players which is even less. The only reasonable thing for pvp balancing would be DoT users. So limiting them to procs of 1 per second sounds adequate to me...

Honestly that's a pre mod 6 statement, considering how nasty the mobs are now, there is no abuse possible in that direction anymore in PvE

Certain specs are already very hard to kill and these kinda of enchants without any ICD would just break the balance even more.
  • Options

Certain specs are already very hard to kill and these kinda of enchants without any ICD would just break the balance even more.

I disagree, the enchants that break balance are negation. negation, and negation, a little extra damage coming from armor enchant isn't what I consider balance breaking. Some classes broken potential to survive pvp should not be a deciding factor for balancing enchantments, which are available to all classes.

But to each their own opinions right? :)

On a side note I really like the synergy idea suggested above me.

• Options
    macjae wrote: »
    I disagree, the enchants that break balance are negation. negation, and negation

If you're talking about PvP, the enchants that current breaks balance are actually elven battle and elven battle moreso than negation.
    I disagree, the enchants that break balance are negation. negation, and negation

If you're talking about PvP, the enchants that current breaks balance are actually elven battle and elven battle moreso than negation.

Haha, no. Maybe it's annoying for CW, because they cant faceroll with CC as easily anymore, but Negation is the biggest cancer.

and no, i dont have elven battle, nor negation. I believe pvp can still be doable without fotm enchants.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Elven battle is strong, but Negation is on a whole 'nother level. Elven battle doesn't actually work against several notable control moves, like knockback and daze. It's great in 1vs1 but as more people join in and the possibility of someone using knockbacks/dazes increases, it gets weaker. Negation, on the other hand, is not only incredibly powerful in 1vs1 but it actually gets stronger in teamfights once we consider mitigation powers and healing/LS. In a nutshell - elven battle simply improves your survivability. If anything it should be the baseline other armor enchantments should be balanced around. Negation breaks balance because some classes should NOT be walking around in PvP with the DR equivalent of a Guardian Fighter.

Finally, Negation stacks with other DR effects and control immunity, something you can get from various artifacts/powers/class features. Meanwhile control immunity renders elven battle redundant - you are losing something every time you enter control immunity mode, which is fair. Note that of the 8 classes/paths we have, only the HR, the CW and the DODC lack any innate control immunity powers/class features (not counting splitsecond control immunity from dodges). Incidentally, all 3 of them also specialize in control, damage mitigation or healing.
    Post edited by tyrtallow on
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about since I've been using Elven Battle since it was first introduced, and I've been using the Perfect/Pure/Transcendent versions almost exclusively in mod6. It does NOT affect daze. I can still get chain CCed by HRs, good CWs and the occasional SW if I'm busy engaging something else. Getting caught inside Smoke Bomb/Oppressive Force before I can dodge is still almost a guaranteed death sentence. Considering that my main is also a DC stacking wisdom AND control resistance from powers, feats, gear AND companions, what you are saying is simply impossible.

I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

And really? "OP's in particular benefit form Elven Battle?" "TRs prefer elven battle?"
    Ignoring the fact that you're mentioning the two classes who don't need armor enchantments at all to be overpowered, did the devs suddenly decide to remove Heroism, ItC, deflect and perma-stealth from the game last night or something? Because just yesterday afternoon I distinctly remember being frozen by a CW for a good 2 seconds. And then getting chain CCed several times after that. So it certainly isn't elven battle.

• Options
    The fact that so many players changed to elven battle over negation even before the upcoming nerf was known just goes to show the disparity. Negation just makes fights last longer, elven battle changes the fundamental dynamics of fights in many cases. That is an overall far more disruptive effect on gameplay.

Where did you find information about negation nerf Mac?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    And yet again you are defending your argument by citing classes which are overpowered even without Elven Battle/Negation. That's the one big fat flaw in all your assumptions.
    We are talking here about classes which are potentially tougher than Guardian Fighters - the standard for high survivability - in face-to-face combat (figuratively speaking, in the case of permas). Even without armor enchants. And you're acting as if there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    How am I supposed to take your argument seriously?

I think I'm beginning to see your angle and why you keep going back to 1 vs 1 PvP.
    You're a 1 vs 1 PvPer defending your right to kill any other class 1 on 1. HAH. No wonder you hate Elven Battle so much.
    Well, good luck with that.
    The devs already took a gamble by not reducing CW power casting times and letting you keep your shields/dodges. AFAIK, people are still absolutely pissed by that decision, and it doesn't help that CW contribution tends to really stand out in group fights. It probably also doesn't help that there are really skilled CWs running around who can execute the Repel/nuke combo so perfectly in PvP.

Appealing to the devs/forumers to nerf Elven Battle, thereby INDIRECTLY buffing CWs/trappers (to the level of OPs/TRs/etc) is just low. What happened, a TR/OP beat you 1 vs 1? A healing DC stacking sky-high defensive stats kept stalemating you long enough for his/her allies to show up? Lol it's like mod 3 all over again. "Don't nerf the GWF who can kill anyone in two hits, buff -insert my own class here- instead!"
    You must have a very high opinion of your class since you're going so far as to claim that it's disruptive to general gameplay/balance.

And BTW, unlike you, I actually do use my pure/transcendent elven battle ALL the time. I also PvP almost daily. It's definitely nowhere near as powerful as you people claim to be, at least in reasonable conditions.
    I still get stunned/frozen, which in many cases is enough for others to land a chain of CCs on me. An ungeared CW spamming Frost Ray/ice spells->Oppressive Force on me can still get me killed (it has happened a few times) if there's another mildly competent DPSer in the vicinity, which is more than what just about any other class can do given the same gear level (btw, given your argument, are you implying that this guy simply has more control than you do? For the record, he was in greens/blues).
    In any case I must be be stacking over 100%+ control resist total on top Elven Battle.
    You know what that tells me? It tells me that the enchantment is fine. It's when near-unkillable classes probably also stacking stupid high deflect use it that it becomes "broken", but frankly what enchantment wouldn't be?
    And granted Elven Battle does make me incredibly slippery 1 vs 1, but that's one of the main reasons I use it. You know, because that's what it's supposed to be good at. Even then, it doesn't always work.

1 vs 1 will ALWAYS be unbalanced. CWs/trappers are incredibly powerful in groups, are definitely NOT glass cannons, can do ridiculously high single target burst/DoT damage without having to chase their targets around AND they have various other utility abilities to help them escape from combat/build distance between them and their target/s. That's already more than what MOST classes/specs have atm.
    Frankly I think it's only fair they're taken out of the 1 vs 1 running. Preferably in general, but I suppose "only if the target is using an transcendent elven battle" will have to do for now. And that still doesn't affect the really skilled ones. Oh well.