test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• almirgt#5791 almirgt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    new class SAMURAI/RONIN FOR NEVERWINTER please.....

I've been observing for a while that the samurai class has been increasing in online mmorpg, and I would like to ask you to, if you can create this class in neverwinter, yes it exists in D&D ..
    The samurai is a class full of myths and legends and it does combine perfectly with the world of D&D.
    you have already created a samurai companion, I loved his designer.
    May this class come to neverwinter, because I would very much like it to be playable ...
    What difference does it make to the other mmorpgs? races ... why not a wood elf ronin? a ronin drow, and so on ...

note: do not forget your ultra mortal, as shown in some videos linked there.
    And please pass this tip on to developers, it is extremely urgent.

From now on I look forward to your reply .. and good news, it is never past the time to have scenarios and oriental adventures.

samurai nos MMorpgs

ronin samurai
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAD_gd1Lsk0

samurai black desert online
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBXYDIvSVw

samurai tales of wind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4BeYjXpemQ

samurai Final fantasi XIV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXxciDyx2Nw

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9EgbhokJM

neverwinter companion samurai
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11077593-new-event:-feast-of-lanterns!

samurai aura kingdom
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4QbMIy1h5w

samurai Maple Story Hayato
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP97JcQhbU

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-cFi7ST_8

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMZ2pp1v5i0
  • rlesley74#1471 rlesley74 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Nope, it’s gonna be bard followed by druid
  • flyball#6248 flyball Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    Just remember the addition of any new race/class is becoming an increasingly more difficult task as every set of gear has to be created for both new and existing content. Race/Class Quests lines have to be written for each one for early leveling as well as that classes combat mechanics and identifying how it differs from existing classes.

I'd really like to see a monk class, but think about how you would build itl with no weapon or off-hand for use? A monks had attacks grow in power and ability naturally as a monk levels...even to where the D&D they can bare fist hit creatures that require magic weapons to hit. How would that mechanic work.

Bard class would be nice but weapons vs instruments for weapon slot? How would songs work and he mechanics behind them, As we no longer need to id items lore and knowledge is not really apart of the game so much except for those who desire to seek it.

Druid would be the easiest as it models the cleric class just with Nature based attacks and buffs (would there be a need for Barkshield with a Druid in the party?)

As far as Samurai really for this all they need to do is create armor and weapons that fit this as a theme for the fighter class or even perhaps the GWF class or both.

New races by far are much easier than classes, though you have to create each class variant of the new race and associated racial quests lines
  • roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Well, if my previous post isn't the best one (ie. suggesting no new class but expand on the existing ones), I'll vote for monk:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77bi4kfXzQ&list=PLcRIDkduXqjs0YgLNeCq6c6p2uA2MrbOF&index=7
  • groo#6243 groo Member Posts: 98 Arc User

Just remember the addition of any new race/class is becoming an increasingly more difficult task as every set of gear has to be created for both new and existing content. Race/Class Quests lines have to be written for each one for early leveling as well as that classes combat mechanics and identifying how it differs from existing classes.

I'd really like to see a monk class, but think about how you would build itl with no weapon or off-hand for use? A monks had attacks grow in power and ability naturally as a monk levels...even to where the D&D they can bare fist hit creatures that require magic weapons to hit. How would that mechanic work.

Bard class would be nice but weapons vs instruments for weapon slot? How would songs work and he mechanics behind them, As we no longer need to id items lore and knowledge is not really apart of the game so much except for those who desire to seek it.

Druid would be the easiest as it models the cleric class just with Nature based attacks and buffs (would there be a need for Barkshield with a Druid in the party?)

As far as Samurai really for this all they need to do is create armor and weapons that fit this as a theme for the fighter class or even perhaps the GWF class or both.

New races by far are much easier than classes, though you have to create each class variant of the new race and associated racial quests lines

Surely the mod 16 changes to classes would make introducing a new class a little easier rather than more difficult as there are far less powers, paragons, etc to worry about? Personally, due to the small dev team and recent approach to new mods, I would imagine Cryptic would pick a class that is easy to implement using mechanics already in the game or that require minimal modification to adapt (e.g. Bard; There is already a bard companion, so the animations could be drawn from there and also clerics used to buff, which was then removed, so a bard could inherit that style of ability, etc. Ok, that is a very over simplified example, but you get the idea).

As for gear, don't forget a lot of gear now is generic anyway (doesn't require a specific class, similar stats, copied visuals, etc), so I don't think that would be too much of an issue. As for class specific quests during levelling, those are very few and far between anyway and I could see Cryptic simply not bothering.

The bard class itself is bottom of my list (sorry, I just don't like them). Plus if they were a buffing class, remember the issues heavy buffing Clerics gave Cryptic in balancing the game (healing was pretty much non-essential at the time) that resulted in those skills being removed from Clerics.

I would like a Monk class, but accept the bare fist, no weapon argument. I don't know D&D law, but couldn't monk's simply use knuckle dusters or something? Also, can't monks use staffs in D&D?

I liked the idea of druid along the lines of being shape shifters and that mechanic has already been used in the game in both undermountain and also a few of the events. There would likely be an overlap in utility with other classes, but it could be very fun to play.

As mentioned, Samuri might potentially be easy to implement. However, there is already an overstock of dps in the game and lack of utility, so I'd be surprised if we see another purely dps class (assuming this promise of a new class isn't just vapourware of course, lol).
    groo#6243 said:

Surely the mod 16 changes to classes would make introducing a new class a little easier rather than more difficult as there are far less powers, paragons, etc to worry about? Personally, due to the small dev team and recent approach to new mods, I would imagine Cryptic would pick a class that is easy to implement using mechanics already in the game or that require minimal modification to adapt (e.g. Bard; There is already a bard companion, so the animations could be drawn from there and also clerics used to buff, which was then removed, so a bard could inherit that style of ability, etc. Ok, that is a very over simplified example, but you get the idea).

As for gear, don't forget a lot of gear now is generic anyway (doesn't require a specific class, similar stats, copied visuals, etc), so I don't think that would be too much of an issue. As for class specific quests during levelling, those are very few and far between anyway and I could see Cryptic simply not bothering.

The bard class itself is bottom of my list (sorry, I just don't like them). Plus if they were a buffing class, remember the issues heavy buffing Clerics gave Cryptic in balancing the game (healing was pretty much non-essential at the time) that resulted in those skills being removed from Clerics.

I would like a Monk class, but accept the bare fist, no weapon argument. I don't know D&D law, but couldn't monk's simply use knuckle dusters or something? Also, can't monks use staffs in D&D?

I liked the idea of druid along the lines of being shape shifters and that mechanic has already been used in the game in both undermountain and also a few of the events. There would likely be an overlap in utility with other classes, but it could be very fun to play.

As mentioned, Samuri might potentially be easy to implement. However, there is already an overstock of dps in the game and lack of utility, so I'd be surprised if we see another purely dps class (assuming this promise of a new class isn't just vapourware of course, lol).
    I agree about the bard class not being my favorite either. I think with all 3 choices Druid, Monk and Bard...or even Samurai
    we seem to get somewhat limited into identifying paragon paths for each.

Monk you could have tank and dps paragons with the tank focused on things like diamond body and diamond soul, self healing and his weapons would be staff based. The dps path would be fist weapons (brass knuckles) with getting more "open handed attacks faster" for powers and things like quivering palm, ab armor breaking attack etc...stun attacks

Druid again would be a paragon split from Cleric but now cleric would have all three healer, DPS and Tank. The Tank being the druid with added HP and stamina from shapshifting to BearForm and control attacks similar to the hunter class with plants and vines. also armor enhancing similar to barkshield or iron skin

Bards does not really fit into any of the existing paragons. Sure I suppose you could fit them into dps as a "duelist/swashbucler" but a Bards abilities with song seem more party based than solo based....song to boost stats, song to bolster defense, song to intimidate like Deekin's "DOOM Doom Doom song from NWN2"

But then what is the other paragon path? yes in D&D bards are a combo of rogue fighter and druid, but that really does not fit well in the NW model. As stated earlier, a Bards primary job is to tell the story and collect more knowledge...not be the story. While Volo is often mentioned in many stories....how much of the heroics are things he as done as opposed to those he witnessed. Yhe other 2 classes fit in much better.

As for Samurai, I think a nice skin for weapons and armor would do nicely as what is really the difference between them and a GWF?
  • jcrm1987jcrm1987 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I would love to see a monk! They can be pretty tanky on pen and paper D&D thanks to their defenses & dodge, their diamond body etc, plus they dish really good damage with their fists and monk weapons. The thing about the weapon and off-hand slots wouldn't be a problem in my opinion, since D&D monks usually use staves, dual Kama's, or even "gloves" as kind of unarmed weapons.

Since Neverwinter classes don't have weapon options (other than aesthetics), they could either go for your classical unarmed monk and give it some sort of gloves for those slots, or go for a dual kama's monk. Maybe they could even have two paragons with different weapons and give one of them a staff, maybe to the tankier version.

That would definitely be my pick, I'd be happy to help on the design process even :tongue:
  • ophid#9952 ophid Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Imo adding a samurai class would make a pastiche. There are plenty of asian style rpgs out there which cater for that taste.
  • ophid#9952 ophid Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Neverwinter Nights implemented a monk class pretty well. Bracers and kamas/sickles etc.
  • fabricjumperfabricjumper Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Yes, now that the team has succeeded in destroying some classes completely, it is time to invent a new meta class.
  • groo#6243 groo Member Posts: 98 Arc User

Yes, now that the team has succeeded in destroying some classes completely, it is time to invent a new meta class.

Cryptic have always struggled to balance the classes, that's part of the reason given for the major class changes of mod 16. The fact they still haven't got things balanced is probably more indicative of the general game design rather than they don't care.

As someone has already commented, it is very possible that the new class will come into the game and reveal itself to be very unbalanced compared to the rest. The cynical thing would be to think this is done on purpose to get everyone playing it and wanting it in groups. However, the reality would more likely be down to testing being done with limited scope. When released into the game, there will be a large number of players all wanting to squeeze the most out of the class and looking for flaws in the design that can be exploited to make it OP.

From what I've seen, it sounds like a new class has been a work-in-progress for a few years now, so I don't think they've just suddenly decided to drop it on us despite not having the rest of the game all fair and square. I imagine they've just simply got to the point where it is "finished". Dropping something like a new class will inevitably spark interest in the game which will result in a surge of player numbers for a while. Whilst numbers will likely subside again sometime down the line, there will have been an increase in revenue during the surge period, which is what it is all about at the end of the day.

You have to remember that Neverwinter Online is a relatively old game now and from PWE's perspective, simply a commercial commodity. With the resources available and commitments Cryptic have, I can't imagine NW will ever become more than it currently is. Yes, there was hope when ChrisW first joined the team, but with his departure that seems to have now evaporated. Whilst all that sounds negative, I don't think the game is going to die anytime soon, but I think future mods will pretty much follow in the same vein as we've seen since mod 16, with maybe the odd addition dropped in on the odd occasion that sparks greater interest (like the new class).

Hopefully, class paragons and the combat system will remain pretty stable now. I think there will still be the inevitable adjustments certainly, but not the drastic changes we've seen in mod 16 and the combat rework.
  • rafaracha#9265 rafaracha Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you anytime think: OMG there so many amazing toons, with like 48k, 49k, 50k...and im playing this for some time and cant get my toon stronger...and u cant...those players use something called BOT, thats why they are so strong.
    Google it and you will see!
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Perhaps, rather than introduce new classes, why not introduce new "school system" for all classes?

I admit it: I am a fan of the Prestige Classes for D&D 3.0 - 3.5. A class-specific school system inspired by the old Prestige Classes could give players something to level up after reaching level 80 and would still keep that retro feel while holding to the current D&D ruleset.

For example: a Wizard could pick one school (Pale Master, Red Wizard, or Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep) whereas a Rangers could pick one school (Harper, Arcane Archer, Beastmaster). Every class could be given a choice of three schools with unique bonuses and abilities to expand the depth and diversity of each class build. Also, a lot of those pre-existing stats and abilities that were taken away after the launch of Mod 16 could be repurposed and reintroduced as bonuses for all classes depending on the school a player chooses.

Just a thought.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • fuxion#7775 fuxion Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Monk all the way please !!!

Perhaps, rather than introduce new classes, why not introduce new "school system" for all classes?

I admit it: I am a fan of the Prestige Classes for D&D 3.0 - 3.5. A class-specific school system inspired by the old Prestige Classes could give players something to level up after reaching level 80 and would still keep that retro feel while holding to the current D&D ruleset.

For example: a Wizard could pick one school (Pale Master, Red Wizard, or Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep) whereas a Rangers could pick one school (Harper, Arcane Archer, Beastmaster). Every class could be given a choice of three schools with unique bonuses and abilities to expand the depth and diversity of each class build. Also, a lot of those pre-existing stats and abilities that were taken away after the launch of Mod 16 could be repurposed and reintroduced as bonuses for all classes depending on the school a player chooses.

Just a thought.

NWN2 had prestige classes as well as additional feats. I think the paragon paths represent this, although the prestige names are not used.

From a story perspective I would like to learn what happened to the Order of the Shining Fist during spell plague and the subsequent eruption of hotenow. Seems like you could intro a monk with an entire campaign adventure to restore the order,

Still skeptical about the reasoning for the Bard for MOD 21
    groo#6243 said:

Cryptic have always struggled to balance the classes, that's part of the reason given for the major class changes of mod 16. The fact they still haven't got things balanced is probably more indicative of the general game design rather than they don't care.

As someone has already commented, it is very possible that the new class will come into the game and reveal itself to be very unbalanced compared to the rest. The cynical thing would be to think this is done on purpose to get everyone playing it and wanting it in groups. However, the reality would more likely be down to testing being done with limited scope. When released into the game, there will be a large number of players all wanting to squeeze the most out of the class and looking for flaws in the design that can be exploited to make it OP.

From what I've seen, it sounds like a new class has been a work-in-progress for a few years now, so I don't think they've just suddenly decided to drop it on us despite not having the rest of the game all fair and square. I imagine they've just simply got to the point where it is "finished". Dropping something like a new class will inevitably spark interest in the game which will result in a surge of player numbers for a while. Whilst numbers will likely subside again sometime down the line, there will have been an increase in revenue during the surge period, which is what it is all about at the end of the day.

You have to remember that Neverwinter Online is a relatively old game now and from PWE's perspective, simply a commercial commodity. With the resources available and commitments Cryptic have, I can't imagine NW will ever become more than it currently is. Yes, there was hope when ChrisW first joined the team, but with his departure that seems to have now evaporated. Whilst all that sounds negative, I don't think the game is going to die anytime soon, but I think future mods will pretty much follow in the same vein as we've seen since mod 16, with maybe the odd addition dropped in on the odd occasion that sparks greater interest (like the new class).

Hopefully, class paragons and the combat system will remain pretty stable now. I think there will still be the inevitable adjustments certainly, but not the drastic changes we've seen in mod 16 and the combat rework.
    With the Bard coming out and lowering the level cap back to 20 that seems pretty drastic
  • ncc575859#9863 ncc575859 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    The Bard that is currently being tested out over in Preview.. is fine. with the exception of most of us oldsters.. aren't tech savvy enough to. well... have songs already in place. I have the one song.. but anything else.. nope.. so I do more reg. fighting skills than music skills... I think that it would have been better if they would have some already made songs that could be placed in slots some where and then selected instead of how they have it now.. because I really don't see them being effective. but that is just me and my opinion and that and 25 cents might get you a reg. cup of coffee.
    I would still like to find out storywise what happened to the Order of the Shinning Hand through he cataclysm, Prior history in NW shows they were present in both the previous NWN and NWN2. It sounds like a good story writer could come up with a new campaign (module) that both introduces the monk class and gives something related to the Order or restoration of the Order.
  • wiccanlord08wiccanlord08 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I wanted a monk...
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

It sounds like a good story writer could come up with a new campaign (module) that both introduces the monk class and gives something related to the Order or restoration of the Order.

That's a nice thought but honestly - the Bard class has literally no backstory. There's no reason to think actual content is needed to introduce a new class - the Bard has proven that.

The key is whether the Bard has a measurably positive impact on the company's balance sheets. If they can make a direct connection between adding the Bard and a significant amount of increased Zen sales - then heck yeah, Monk, Druid, Samurai, whatever - more classes will be coming.

It sounds like a good story writer could come up with a new campaign (module) that both introduces the monk class and gives something related to the Order or restoration of the Order.

That's a nice thought but honestly - the Bard class has literally no backstory. There's no reason to think actual content is needed to introduce a new class - the Bard has proven that.

The key is whether the Bard has a measurably positive impact on the company's balance sheets. If they can make a direct connection between adding the Bard and a significant amount of increased Zen sales - then heck yeah, Monk, Druid, Samurai, whatever - more classes will be coming.
    Bards write their own backstory....LOL

The hard thing I see wth a druid and Samurai classes is they are either a cleric derivative (loadout) or a costume package for the GWF....Just develop the armor, sword and set as appearance.

The druid does have potential (at least from before spellplague as you could have had the shape shifting loadout as Tank or DPS and a more traditional healer or even a dps mode with animal summons.

• finality999#7648 finality999 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I would love to see a Psionicist.

Better yet 'split classes' where we can have a fighter/psionicist or mage/psionicist. The beauty of this class is simply put, no need for crazy casting/gestures or stuff, just think about it (no pun intended) and it happens, or not...

All of the other options are simply spin offs of pre-existing core classes, save for maybe the druid, but that is simply a 'nature priest' (cleric).
    The Barbarian and Monk, both are specialized fighters, the Bard is original, but blade singers are once again fighters that can cast while making a melody (simplified, but accurate enough). A Sorcerer is a specialized Mage (Wizard). You want originality, I would choose a Psionicist. Any race can have psionics according to AD&D rules from day one. Unfortunately most DM's hated having to work with players who chose a psionicist as they were all new territory and difficult to thwart in the game. I know I had issues with my DM 30+ years ago playing my own Psionicist, and later when I took over the role of DM for the next decade of my group of players, I had frustrations dealing with a particular 'halfling psionicist' in my gang, but they are certainly a curious and fun class to play, even a huge dracolich was no match for this halfling master of the mind.

A good example we can all look up is the well known Drow Psionicist, Kimmuriel Oblodra, a Bregan D'aerthe commander, formerly of House Oblodra before it was destroyed in Menzoberranzan. Even the legendary Drizzt could not best this competent and dangerous Drow mercenary. Psionics don't depend on the sources other 'casters' do, as their powers come from within themselves, so magic both divine and otherwise play no part in influencing the psionicist's usage of powers.

Some food for thought in future upgrades.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

I would love to see a Psionicist.

So, basically play as an illithid, the main race that uses psionic attacks?

Would work better if we had a morality system in the game - play illithid as lawful evil. Never turn your back on THAT guy in a dungeon - might sell you out to any of the bosses for the right price.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Devs would need time to create Kara-Tur adventures and unlock monk class. i see way too much skin patterns for npcs and creatures, but samurai would be cool, but they are semi leaders who sworn to shogun warlord, keeping the barbarian horde at bay, remember reading Dragonwall trilogy?
    i see lot of potiental for Kara-Tur, with yellow turban rebellions, barbarian tribes, yuan-ti clans, celestial dragons, 7 sisters goddess, many more legends.
    devs would need to add chapters and more chapters in later months to complete the realm of Kara-Tur.

plus i am still waiting for Calimshan, city of rival thief factions.
  • littlevclittlevc Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Here is a thought... How about NO new classes until they complete the Bard.
    Still no Chult weapons available for purchase from the Chult vendor for Teeth of the Tyrant.
    It took MONTHS just for them to get the Bard weapons out for Riverdistrict, Chult came out before Riverdistrict.
    If you are going to add a Class, make it a complete class with everything already in the game rather than waiting until enough people complain about it.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    littlevc said:

Here is a thought... How about NO new classes until they complete the Bard.
    Still no Chult weapons available for purchase from the Chult vendor for Teeth of the Tyrant.
    It took MONTHS just for them to get the Bard weapons out for Riverdistrict, Chult came out before Riverdistrict.
    If you are going to add a Class, make it a complete class with everything already in the game rather than waiting until enough people complain about it.

While I agree with you for the most part, Chult(M12-13) did NOT come out before River district(M11).
  • sixguns1sixguns1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Necromancer my pick, with minion pets perhaps.
  • almirgt#5791 almirgt Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Who said the samurai class doesn't exist in neverwinter?? She's getting there little by little :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/s2zli1/you_vs_the_guy_she_tells_you_not_to_worry_about/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
  • agodbeaagodbea Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    samurai would be a path for fighter (its a subclass to fighter in d&d)
    necromancer would be a path for wizard (it's a subclass to wizard)