test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    greywynd said:

Why would it be any better/different than the DCs already in the game? Lack of DCs just means more people need to play them.

There can be many reasons for the lack of DCs. It could mean that not all people who are interested in playing healers like to play Cleric. Take myself for example, although I'm interested in playing a healer, I prefer Bard, not Cleric.
  • rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User

obekpl said:

The thing is- TANKY classes in neverwinter are also DPS class- please balance all classes we have and later think to introduce new one.

You know that 'balance' knife could cut both ways - if they lower DPS ability for tanks, It makes sense that DPS classes would get squishier. I've seen other player's CW's with HP almost equal to my 13k iL GF (whose HP is well over 150k).

In a true "balancing" of classes - CW's would not have HP or DR anywhere near to equal the GF, just as GFs would not have DPS equal to the CW.
    And going back to my previous comment, this game is both group and solo. If you take DPS away from a class they become almost unplayable solo. The DC is an example of a great tank but it takes FOREVER to get through solo content.

Did a search on Necromancer and this thread showed up but I could not find the original comment. THIS is the class to create. There is nothing else like it in the game as is and would have completely unique powers and abilities. A lot of people are pushing for a bard or druid but frankly these are mostly just tweaks of classes already available.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

Did a search on Necromancer and this thread showed up but I could not find the original comment. THIS is the class to create. There is nothing else like it in the game as is and would have completely unique powers and abilities. A lot of people are pushing for a bard or druid but frankly these are mostly just tweaks of classes already available.

In D&D, Necromancers are a subclass of Wizard, which would technically make Bards and Druids more distinct and separate (which are much more than just tweaked Clerics). A Necromancer would be more appropriate as a new paragon path alongside SS and MoF for CWs. Currently, Warlocks serve as the Necro equivalent with their Soul Puppets, Immolation Spirits, and life/death energy themed powers.

All that said, I would LOVE a Necromancer path for CWs! My CW would switch immediately and never look back! I could imagine it being a good solo, pet-based path that animates dead, plagues enemies, and sups on the death of all who fall before him!!
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    voted sorcerer, but I would love to see druid or necromancer too, although I'm not quite sure how those classes work in the DnD world. I would hope for sorcerer to be the gwf of wizards, druid as the striker of healers and necromancer as a true pet user class.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    These open the lines for prestige classes for current ones. The way i see it is that a prestige method needs to be implemented that can improve current abilities. The road to prestige should be difficult and require a base item level of 12k (IMO) or all boons complete through chult. The prestige then would add bonus powerpoints into prestige points and this would go towards enhancing current class with prestige class abilities. As stated above, a sorcerer would be prestige of CW, Necromancer prestige of Warlock (IMO), Druid would be prestige of cleric or HR, barbarian prestige of GWF, ect. New encounters, at-wills, dailies and class features to add to the range of possibilities and eliminate the current carbon copying going on.

Many people say that the current system needs to be balanced properly before adding new classes. I'm sure cryptic is working on that, but as was stated this is a forum topic for requesting new classes so i'm suggesting prestige class enhancements to liven up the game play a bit.
  • e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User

There can be many reasons for the lack of DCs. It could mean that not all people who are interested in playing healers like to play Cleric. Take myself for example, although I'm interested in playing a healer, I prefer Bard, not Cleric.

Bard as a healer?? Maybe but I think my ideas for their inherent power in reference to a bard or druid would be proper.
    Give a Bard thievery because we only have one who is a thief right now, the rogue. The bard can also then disable traps like our present class.
    Give the Druid nature for the same reasoning. We only have the hunter/ranger who does that now.

All the other classes are dual presently: Cleric and Paladin have religion; Guardian Fighter and Great Weapons Fighter have dungeoneering; Control Wizard and Rogue Warlock have the sorcery one.

Would be nice to see another class sharing the inherent traits of nature and thievery.

edited December 2017
    e1emento said:

Bard as a healer?? Maybe but I think my ideas for their inherent power in reference to a bard or druid would be proper.
    Give a Bard thievery because we only have one who is a thief right now, the rogue. The bard can also then disable traps like our present class.
    Give the Druid nature for the same reasoning. We only have the hunter/ranger who does that now.

All the other classes are dual presently: Cleric and Paladin have religion; Guardian Fighter and Great Weapons Fighter have dungeoneering; Control Wizard and Rogue Warlock have the sorcery one.

Would be nice to see another class sharing the inherent traits of nature and thievery.

Bard is an Arcane Leader (healer/buffer) class and its trained skill is Arcana (according to 4e). Its choosable skills also don't include Thievery so I doubt that would be implemented. Disabling traps is a good idea and can add more fun to the game; hopefully, it could be implemented someday.

Druid's trained skill is Nature so that would be no problem.
    pterias said:

In D&D, Necromancers are a subclass of Wizard, which would technically make Bards and Druids more distinct and separate (which are much more than just tweaked Clerics). A Necromancer would be more appropriate as a new paragon path alongside SS and MoF for CWs. Currently, Warlocks serve as the Necro equivalent with their Soul Puppets, Immolation Spirits, and life/death energy themed powers.

All that said, I would LOVE a Necromancer path for CWs! My CW would switch immediately and never look back! I could imagine it being a good solo, pet-based path that animates dead, plagues enemies, and sups on the death of all who fall before him!!

The problem with intro the druid is that they already intro the ranger which uses a lot of nature based attacks. In pen and paper D&D rangers had very little magic ability. About the only thing new you might intro with a druid would be animal and add some heals but with companions anyone can have a bear friend if they like. And the bard is a rouge subclass. People say they want to play one but since the game is now just about DPS, a non-DPS squishy will be about as welcome in a epic party as the Ranger seems to be.

Who knows about a necromancer, Cryptic could create a really good class or a really useless one. But at the very least it would be a very new play style. More about raising and directing attacks. Path of Exile has a pretty decent necromancer build that uses these mechanics.

edited December 2017

pterias said:

The problem with intro the druid is that they already intro the ranger which uses a lot of nature based attacks. In pen and paper D&D rangers had very little magic ability. About the only thing new you might intro with a druid would be animal and add some heals but with companions anyone can have a bear friend if they like. And the bard is a rouge subclass. People say they want to play one but since the game is now just about DPS, a non-DPS squishy will be about as welcome in a epic party as the Ranger seems to be.

Who knows about a necromancer, Cryptic could create a really good class or a really useless one. But at the very least it would be a very new play style. More about raising and directing attacks. Path of Exile has a pretty decent necromancer build that uses these mechanics.

Regarding "bard is a rouge subclass", I guess that's the definition of an older D&D edition (2e, apparently). This game's classes are based on 4e and 5e so Bard is not a Rogue subclass here.
  • lousavanna2012lousavanna2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    Shadowwalker / shadow master
    like in the old neverwinter night :D
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    If a druid is built it should be mainly a shape-shifter to distinguish it from the nature attacks that HR uses. I wouldn't mind seeing a druid call a swarm of bees, a dive bombing hawk, a snake nest bite fest, etc. So if druid make it animal nature not plant nature.
    edited December 2017

There are some bits of overlap, but there are other things that can be focused on to add uniqueness. As far as the game being all DPS now, most end-game parties only take 1-2 DPS while the others are all supports.

HRs do have quite a few plant powers, but Druids can also summon/control animals, heal better, cast more bombastic spells using earth, air, fire, and water, and can shapeshift. I can imagine one PP focusing on shapeshifting and melee while the other focuses more on range spells and support. Really, Druids could have dual roles like OPs are with shapeshifting being a Tank and the other being a Healer.

Bards have a rather diverse history in the game, but haven't been a subclass of rogues in a long time. In 1st Ed, they were literally Fighter/Thief/Druids, in 2nd they were Fighter/Mage/Thieves, I skipped 3rd ( :lol: ), in 4th they are like arcane Cleric/Mage skill monkeys, and in 5th they are similar but have better... everything and can focus more on combat/buffing or spells/debuffing. MY 5E Bard is quite the Rogue though, he can sell a Red Dragon a veggie burger while charming its kobold minions and picking the lock on a nearby chest silently.
  • cullansigerlsoncullansigerlson Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    A bard would be nice...Basically a buffing thief, but prestige class sounds really great. Or the Blackguard from NWN2. I always loved playing that. Or Pale Master.

It still pisses me off that Nashers are the 'bad guys' after spending 10+ years supporting King Nasher and his quest for the throne.
    Unrepentantsigline_zpsahdyba3t.png
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    these guys are not real "Nasher", for info Nasher isnt the king, he was one of the "lords" of the sword coast.
    reason they became bad guys, they didnt like Lord Everember, all he want to restore order and secretly searching for true leader to lead. so the group call themselves "Sons of Nasher", they are nothing more than criminals and local terrorists, leader of this cult got killed and lot of leading leaders were also killed.
    this event we are in, it was about 80 years later after Nasher passed away. Nasher never had any children, Sons of Nasher are fake wannabe and had no claim, none of them officially any heirs. they can forge fake birth documents.
    just recently, Lord Everembers confessed to "Champion of Neverwinter", saying he wanted to find someone to take over as a real "hero" to lead Neverwinter. he is all for the looks but he is afraid and a "fraud" if the truth expose him before he has chance to find someone worthy to wear a crown as a new Lord of Neverwinter, if expose too soon, the city will be chaotic and vulnerable to outside attacks.
    only Knox, he alone knew the truth and he support Everembers and he is too old to lead, his time is nearly up as Master of Arms, most of his original adventuring team are dead, old or crippled. He really want to find true hero too.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Here is my voting order for each class listed above.

1) Monk
    2) Druid
    3) Bard
    4) Sorcerer
    5) Barbarian
    6) Other class: One class I loved to play in my good old AD&D days was a Psionics class. I would like to see that class come to this game.

As it stands the only class I see on this list that is already in the game is the Barbarian. The GWF is literally a Barbarian. Just update the name and update a few feats and the GWF can be swapped over to Barbarian.

I would like to see the Monk class above all others. If that option is taken off the table, my second up would be the Druid and third would be a Bard.
  • epiccritepiccrit Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Honestly, I still miss some of the classic D&D spells that really were not part of the control wizard's spell list and, as such, we really need a war wizard/sorcerer to field some of these classic spells:

Fireball
    Lightning bolt
    Stoneskin
    Burning hands
    shocking grasp
    Vampiric touch
    haste

I'm happy we have magic missiles and cone of cold from the classic days, but we need some more D&D iconic spells. I even had a thought I really liked for the war wizard on this thought.

Paragons
    Evoker: Class mechanic: phantom hand: Spells with a range of touch now have a range of 80'.
    Abjurer: Class Mechanic: communal protection: Abjuration spells with a range of self now effect party members within 40'.

Base class mechanic: Flame shield/inner fire. Inner fire builds up as war wizard deals and receives damage, when built up to full, press tab to surround self with fire that strikes back melee attackers.
    Stamina use: Staff of defense.
    I've been holding out hope that some of these classic spells could show up whenever they finally do a level cap increase. I was thinking:

Storm Spell:
    - Lightning Bolt (Daily): Fast, long, line attack, like a super Sudden Storm. (or could be Chain Lightning instead)
    - Shock Sphere (Encounter): Like a weaker, Lightning-based Fireball. Mastery makes it linger and tick for more damage, or gives it a chance to daze.
    - Shocking Grasp (At-Will): Melee attack, third strike can daze for a second.

Master of Flame (all of these would add Smolder):
    - Fireball (Daily): Large, ranged area attack, like a super Scorching Burst (without charging unless Delayed Blast Fireball instead).
    - Fire Shield (Encounter): Causes fire damage to nearby enemies, with bigger damage spikes if they attack you. Toggled on or off. Mastery deals more damage, maybe bigger radius or splash damage.
    - Burning Hands (At-Will): Short cone attack, channeled like Ray of Frost.

General possibilities:
    - Cone of Cold (Encounter): Large cone of Cold damage, chills. Mastery is bigger, stronger, chills more.
    - Stoneskin (Encounter): Automatically Deflect the next 1/2/3/4 attacks. Mastery effects party too (too good?).
    - Dimension Door (Encounter): Long-range teleport, maybe 60'. Mastery can activate again within X seconds to return to original location. (would play havoc with Neverwinter Parkour and their attempts to stop it though)

I'd also like to see a rework of Shield to last for X seconds then go on cooldown, and get rid of "popping" it. This would make it's use more strategic like the original. Otherwise, it should just be a passive instead of eating up an encounter slot.
  • ase#2329 ase Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    2.5 years later, we are still waiting for a new class :)
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

obekpl said:

The thing is- TANKY classes in neverwinter are also DPS class- please balance all classes we have and later think to introduce new one.

You know that 'balance' knife could cut both ways - if they lower DPS ability for tanks, It makes sense that DPS classes would get squishier. I've seen other player's CW's with HP almost equal to my 13k iL GF (whose HP is well over 150k).

In a true "balancing" of classes - CW's would not have HP or DR anywhere near to equal the GF, just as GFs would not have DPS equal to the CW.
    And going back to my previous comment, this game is both group and solo. If you take DPS away from a class they become almost unplayable solo. The DC is an example of a great tank but it takes FOREVER to get through solo content.

DC as a tank? I think you mean OP.

A well built OP or DC can do ok damage but not like a true DPS class. I can solo chult fine but I'm also over 15K IL on my DC.

obekpl said:

DC as a tank? I think you mean OP.

A well built OP or DC can do ok damage but not like a true DPS class. I can solo chult fine but I'm also over 15K IL on my DC.
    Sorry, meant OP.

• fukusubarufukusubaru Member Posts: 1 New User
    I vote for something else, coz I would like to see a class known as "Spellsword" or "Swordmage", in Neverwinter 2 known as a prestige class called "Mystic Knigt(?)". Something like striker/controller with arcana skill. It was always my favourite class in every edition of DnD i have pleasure to play.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    In the "state of the game", Foss already said this won't happen in "mods". It won't be in 2018 for sure and probably not in 2019.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sundancewanderingwolfsundancewanderingwolf Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    DRUID DRUID DRUID DRUID!!!!!!!! :D Pleeeeeeeeaaaaasssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I still don't get the whole druid thing. Between the CW and ranger powers, nature is pretty much taken care of. About the only thing you could add would be animal morphing but then you are just another melee toon. The current druid companion is kinda meh.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    Druids' ability would be shapeshifter to animal forms, summon wild creatures, and use natural environment for weather effects, roots, and buffs,
    weapons would be Bo Staffs, Sickles, Clubs, and Slings.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    I want to understand the desire for new classes, but based on the game I just do not see a role that needs to be filled. So any new class would just cover a role already covered. Now that does not mean it should not be done, but I think they need to use care in doing so. Already you have a blurring of the roles because of the powers and skills given to various existing classes.

For my two cents, I would love to see new classes once they do a better job of balancing existing classes and defining their roles better.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

I want to understand the desire for new classes, but based on the game I just do not see a role that needs to be filled. So any new class would just cover a role already covered. Now that does not mean it should not be done, but I think they need to use care in doing so. Already you have a blurring of the roles because of the powers and skills given to various existing classes.

For my two cents, I would love to see new classes once they do a better job of balancing existing classes and defining their roles better.

ofc, balancing is the priority, but this is just something people would want to see because it's more content.
  • zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Because it's been quite a while since the last one came out, and that "coming soon" placeholder has been sitting there for ages...

Druid when? (Since it's the most voted for class to be added by a good margin...)
  • zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Druid all the way. We need another Nature skill class.

It'd sure be nice if we'd get a response to these results from the devs... That "coming soon" placeholder has been sitting there for ages.