test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So now that alerts will be level gated...

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Does that mean that they can start balancing the gated alerts for higher level players and we can get some more challenging alerts that require more than just standing there and spamming a single power over and over? :D Since they had to balance them that way since a lot of the low level characters in there really only could spam a single power over and over and all, but that won't be the case anymore! :3
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can they? I'm sure that they could.

Will they? Doubt it.

Most of the complaints are only about the lowbies "causing" timed alerts to fail.

If they changed the alerts so that higher levels couldn't spam two-gun mojo and/or lead tempest to get the job done, the complaints would be just as loud.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Does that mean that they can start balancing the gated alerts for higher level players and we can get some more challenging alerts that require more than just standing there and spamming a single power over and over? :D Since they had to balance them that way since a lot of the low level characters in there really only could spam a single power over and over and all, but that won't be the case anymore! :3

where did you hear this info?
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    where did you hear this info?

Probably here:
    lordgar wrote: »
    Alerts:

Rewards:
    • Grab Alerts now reward XP and an XP buff
    • Smash Alerts now reward Resources and a Resources buff
    • Grab's XP award is slightly lower than the former Smash award at low levels, but the XP buff has been increased from 15% to 20%

Availability:
    • The topmost Alert is a randomly selected Grab (XP), available to characters level 10+
    • The second Alert is a randomly selected Burst (Mods), available to characters level 15+
    • The third Alert is a randomly selected Smash (Resources), available to characters level 20+
    • Custom Alerts now have a minimum level of 20+
    Hmm. Either Lordgar made a typo, or they're changing the rewards given - Grabs are supposed to reward Resources, while Smashes give XP. Either way, I certainly hope the one that gives XP is indeed the lower one, because that reward is far less useful once one reaches 20+.

Either way, it'll be amusing to see what excuses people start giving for failing Alerts when they can't blame lowbies.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cptcooltasticcptcooltastic Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not a typo. This is one of the best changes they've made so far. Maybe people will finally get back out in the zones now.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hmm. Either Lordgar made a typo, or they're changing the rewards given - Grabs are supposed to reward Resources, while Smashes give XP. Either way, I certainly hope the one that gives XP is indeed the lower one, because that reward is far less useful once one reaches 20+.

Either way, it'll be amusing to see what excuses people start giving for failing Alerts when they can't blame lowbies.

The plan is for Smashes to now grant resources to higher level players, and no XP. Smashes are more difficult and faster to run, and without 19-and-below lowbies in the mix, they should fail less.

Grabs, which are virtually not failable, will now award XP and not resources, are open to level 10 and up for quick leveling.

So no typo, they're changing things around.
    biffsig.jpg
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Based on what the Rewards part of Lordgar's post said, I'd say it was intentional.

Smash the bad guys for money and Grab some o dat XP :wink:
    jonsills wrote:

Indeed :tongue:
  • cptcooltasticcptcooltastic Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Doh, deleted double post
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    easy. alerts can fail because the team had a bad mix of players. in the new smash alerts, if you get all support, it could fail due to low dps.

Which is why pre-made teams are great things to have when running alerts. :rolleyes:
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lolz took my electric form squishy into Forum Malvanum twice yesterday (or was it early this AM), first effort gave me a level 35 and buncha other lowbies including a 9. Ducked outta that one - just couldn't see the point.
    Next one gave me a whole loada 40s to play with - we failed - Duratok went down but Drogan Lar with ooooh about a 5th of a bar left thwarted us at the very last. Gorramit just a few more seconds!

Looking at this I can safely say the reason for failure is these useless level 40s either they don't do enough damage or sod off before the fight even starts. Absolutely conclusive proof there!
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Yeah. For Smashes, I'm sure the people who blame lowbies now will just switch the word "lowbie" out for "noob". You know, anything to keep themselves from the realization that the only common element to all their failures is themselves. Or we'll see a resurgence of "Smashes are too hard, balance them so I always win" complaint threads, or more specifically "How dare you make dps races! That's not content for everyone!".
    Looking at this I can safely say the reason for failure is these useless level 40s either they don't do enough damage or sod off before the fight even starts. Absolutely conclusive proof there!

Yes, people who sod off before the fight even starts are the leading cause of alert failure. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    then what's the need for excuses? :rolleyes:

"I'm too lazy and/or unmotivated to start/join a premade". <--- that's an excuse.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I could have sworn that the new rewards are ADDED to the old ones. So that Grabs also grant more exp and that Smashes grant resources.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I could have sworn that the new rewards are ADDED to the old ones. So that Grabs also grant more exp and that Smashes grant resources.

No, they swapped 'em. Also, Grabs will grant less XP for completion than Smashes do now, but the XP buff will be greater. More encouragement to get out of alerts and into regular missions.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • tombmaster123tombmaster123 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did this update to the alert system already happen, or is it still in the works of being completed?
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are the 30+ crowd still going to be downgraded to 30 though? or will the 40's actually be allowed to be 40's this time?
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did this update to the alert system already happen, or is it still in the works of being completed?

It's still only on PTS being tested.
    Are the 30+ crowd still going to be downgraded to 30 though? or will the 40's actually be allowed to be 40's this time?

From what I've heard, the normal alerts will still be sidekicked to 30, but the custom alerts are going to be tuned to level 40.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also, Grabs will grant less XP for completion than Smashes do now, but the XP buff will be greater. More encouragement to get out of alerts and into regular missions.
    Even if nothing else goes Live, I hope that bit does. I mostly do Smashes now for an XP buff, usually just before I turn in three or four missions.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited October 2013
    the excuses in question were excuses about why you FAILED the alert, not why you didn't premake a team.

Being unwilling to make a premade team is a cause of failing an alert. In fact, it is often the root cause, because it can prevent all the other causes of failing an alert.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm looking forward to this change. It would be nice if we had knocks disabled on the timed missions as well so might characters aren't a hindrance to their teams but this is a very welcome change.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    guyhumual wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this change. It would be nice if we had knocks disabled on the timed missions as well so might characters aren't a hindrance to their teams but this is a very welcome change.

If you have knocks disabled, you have a lot of people who now can't use some of their abilities and other abilities/specs which rely on them.

knockups aren't a problem, target goes up, goes down, has trouble for a while.
    if they make sure target has knock resistance up(and some have it without icons, like Rockjaw), knocks aren't a problem

Scatter knocks are the problem- as people have to then get back to/within range of the target.
    It's not far to run , if you get killed. It wastes more time, with more people having to retarget the boss.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited October 2013
    you can't fail if you don't try. you cant succeed either though.

How is this statement of the obvious relevant? :o
    edited October 2013
    of course level gating won't help when a Level 40 ^^^^, in recuitment drive, runs straight through the front mobs, through the back ones and then along the sides.
    Aggroing everyone (and thats just the rest of the party.)
    Patience is a virtue but not when it is a person with a large stick with a sharp bit at the end.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    of course level gating won't help when a Level 40 ^^^^, in recuitment drive, runs straight through the front mobs, through the back ones and then along the sides.
    Patience is a virtue but not when it is a person with a large stick with a sharp bit at the end.

Those are the moments for /eatpopcorn and listen the deathcries of your fellow heroes.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Gad here was I hoping all alerts would be gated U_U

Getting sick of Hulk Behemoth nubs knocking nems everywhere ._.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Those are the moments for /eatpopcorn and listen the deathcries of your fellow heroes.

No way. We'll have so many new LR's with Quarry being lowered.
    edited October 2013
    I can't blame the players for the knocks, if they'er silver players it's not like they designed the character, and in most alerts knocks are perfectly fine. However when you're trying to beat the clock it's really unfair to the behemoth (who get's unfairly blamed) as well as the rest of the team. Disable knocks and instead give the might characters stacks of enraged whenever they use a knock power.
    edited October 2013
    really unfair to the behemoth
    Learn to play your AT's....
    edited October 2013
    Learn to play your AT's....
    i.e. never use or select roomsweeper?
    edited October 2013
    No. Actually learn to play the AT.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will we FINALLY be able to do Until Carrier mission without being lowered to 30 then? that mission is pure crap simply because the only people fit for it are being massively weakened
    edited October 2013
    Not if the rewards still stay as Rank 1 Mods.....
    edited October 2013
    No. Actually learn to play the AT.
    Well sounds like you just volunteered to make a guide then? Thanks :P
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Why is this not an emote?!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited October 2013
    Well sounds like you just volunteered to make a guide then? Thanks :P

If they can't learn the basics of their powers, why bother writing a guide they won't bother to read.

They just have to figure it by themselves. It's there somewhere... http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Knockback#knockback

:tongue: <click him....
    edited October 2013
    If they can't learn the basics of their powers, why bother writing a guide they won't bother to read.

They just have to figure it by themselves. It's there somewhere... http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Knockback#knockback

You've.. played a behemoth... right Finn? They are in fact a wildly perfect example of ATs that are poorly designed for timed Smashes. Telling someone "L2PNOOB" doesn't really change that.
    chaelk wrote: »

Wait... you mean not all level 40s can pull the entire platform worth of NPCs in recruitment drive and slaughter them all like nothing? Damn, magical girl got it goin' on apparently :D
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    No way. We'll have so many new LR's with Quarry being lowered.

Nah, Quarry's gonna be fine. Not all of us pee our pants when a few numbers get a little lower ;)
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You've.. played a behemoth... right Finn? They are in fact a wildly perfect example of ATs that are poorly designed for timed Smashes. Telling someone "L2PNOOB" doesn't really change that.

Nope. But i do use Roomsweeper. And know about Knockback Resistance.

Haven't used 'L2PNOOB', so there goes that.

Maybe they can just /eatpopcorn and let DPS's handle it.
    edited October 2013
    Nope. But i do use Roomsweeper.

Haven't used 'L2PNOOB', so there goes that.

Maybe they can just /eatpopcorn and let DPS's handle it.

You use Roomsweeper, which has a powerful knock even when you tap it, during a smash alert? For shame Finn, for shame :| If you ever use it without stunning first, I'm taking your popcorn away.
    edited October 2013
    I allways use fully charged Roomsweeper, it's more fun to watch when people start to run circles trying to figure out which behind crate the villain is hiding for.
    edited October 2013
    I allways use fully charged Roomsweeper, it's more fun to watch when people start to run circles trying to figure out which behind crate the villain is hiding for.

Been hittin' the bottle ey Finn? u_u
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It takes less than an hour, two tops, to get from level 6 to 10 via standard missions. The gating seems reasonable enough.

I may be wrong, but what level gating XP alerts to level 10 would effectively do though is make it less feasible for people to make multiple silver accounts just to farm for questionite through q-dailies while letting their fresh level 6's get carried while doing so, if the daily consists of completing at least XP alert that is.
    edited October 2013

hey thats my popcorn
    /snatch munch... nope that was the anchovie one.. hands it back
    munch munch... hmmmm extra sugar coated, salted,chilli popcorn, much better

• flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would be nice if we had knocks disabled on the timed missions as well so might characters aren't a hindrance to their teams but this is a very welcome change.

On my Heavy Weapons freeform (my only character with a significant amount of knocks), my knocks are disabled whenever I want.

Want to do a fully charged Annihilate without sending the boss flying? Eruption->Tapped Brimstone->Eruption->Charged Annihilate. Or Tapped Brimstone->Tapped Brimstone->Tapped Brimstone->Charged Annihilate, but that's far more Energy used.
    forrksakesexco gets a poke with a stick:

Lolz took my electric form squishy into Forum Malvanum twice yesterday (or was it early this AM), first effort gave me a level 35 and buncha other lowbies including a 9. Ducked outta that one - just couldn't see the point.
    Next one gave me a whole loada 40s to play with - we failed - Duratok went down but Drogan Lar with ooooh about a 5th of a bar left thwarted us at the very last. Gorramit just a few more seconds!

You didn't fail, everything after the three "veterans" is gravy. :biggrin:

New alert changes sound OK to me. I played them based on how they were set up, I'll do the same with these.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingfinn sees poor refugee problems:

This CoX semi-noob is still having some knock problems. Darnit, when there's a crate right behind the guy, he should smash into it and stop, not fly 15 feet over the top of it and land 100 feet away. **pouts**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png