test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The only truth you need to know about CCs!

lunaw78lunaw78 Posts: 293 Arc User
First of all, CCs (Costume Contests) are unique to this game! In no other game, you will never meet such amaizing event!

What is not that amaizing about CCs, well, is their Judges! In most of the cases, Judges are not fair when it comes to pick up the best costume! They pick costumes that sometimes doesn`t even match the cat (category), the gender of the costume and many other cat specifications!

If you ask me, most of the Judges are simply blind when it comes to choose the best costume!

Many people loose CCs just because Judges are not objective enough to pick a best costume!

I have been in some CCs (not too many) and I cleary see that most of the Judges aren`t fair when it comes to pick a costume! And when you ask the judges why they didn`t pick your costume as best, they bring up some stupid arguments like: "your costume is too sexy", "I don`t like the mettalic texture" and many more of these kind! And when you say to them that these reasons aren`t that solid to reject your costume, they simply start saying that: "start doing your own CCs and judge them"! With that reason is cleary tha the CC judging will not improve this way!

If you wanna know how many CCs I have won? Well, ... none and I don`t thinink I will won one single CC in this game! Why? Becuase of the reasons I listed above! And I don`t think I will ever participate at a CC, except the cases when someone want to judge costume, and believe me, I`m not the person who choose crappy costumes as best ones!

But this is only an example on how UNFAIR Judges can be in CCs! If this will still continue as it continues today, I only hope CCs will have the same fate as PvP! And by saying that, I say everything!

Have a wonderfull day! And "happy" CCs!

Edit Note: I deleted all the pictures and all my meanie comments about that costume who won that CC, as a suggestion provided by some persons! Thank you!
Post edited by lunaw78 on

Comments

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lunaw78 wrote: »
    Many people loose CCs just because Judges are not objective enough to pick a best costume!

There is little room for objectivity in something as subjective as a CC.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All i can say, feel free to make your own CC where you pick what you think are the best of the categories you choose from.

Most likely there will be people who don't like the winners.

Like in every CC.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    All i can say, feel free to make your own CC where you pick what you think are the best of the categories you choose from.

Most likely there will be people who don't like the winners.

Like in every CC.
    No, flyinfyn, the sad thig is that not every winner that win a specific cat is the true winner! Like in my example!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    There is little room for objectivity in something as subjective as a CC.
    Maybe but that doesn`t mean Judges can reject a costume for some stupid reason! :mad:
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the person running the contest is the one providing the prizes, they can do whatever they want. If they want to give first prize to a ridiculous costume because it made them laugh, so be it.

If you want to see an unfair costume contest, there used to be a SG in City of Heroes that would solicit donations from other players for the prizes. They'd gather millions of Influence, dozens of super expensive enhancements, and so on.

The one of their CCs I attended, second through fifth place all went to people in the same SG as the person running the CC. First place went to a level 1 with no SG. But their global name was the same as the leader's, but wih a 1 added to the end. That was also the last CC they ever held on our server. Nobody was dumb enough to fall for it, and a lot of people blacklisted them from everything.
    edited July 2013
    I'd have probably done the same thing as the winner did. The theme was santa based, by all means it wasn't meant to replicate Mr and Mrs santa in the most accurate way, twists are welcome. There are much more problems such as popular people winning because they're popular and so on and even there there isn't much to do because that's not your CC.

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In all honesty, I think you are over reacting.

Im going to start off by saying that I don't go to CC's. I'm not part of any clique or "In crowd" and I'm certainly not popular enough bother with them. So I'm not saying this in defense of anyone.

But looking at your costume, I can honestly see why you didn't win. Its nothing special or eye catching. Remove the Santa hat, and its just a set of red tights. Take away one item and there is nothing about that costume, at all, that even implies Christmas.

Perhaps, instead of wondering about the unfairness of it all. Perhaps, instead of all this wasted energy here, instead of crying unfair. Perhaps, a better option might be an honest self examination of what you could of done different. What could of been improved. And perhaps investing insight into understanding what it is the judges really wanted to see, and why they felt yours didn't meet that.
  • Options
    ma1starma1star Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nobody likes to lose but to appriciate winning you will have have to have lost atleast once, now stop being a sore loser and accept that you lost. If you feel shortsided by the judge or that they are unfair in judging then don't enter his/her specific CC
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2013
    Well, I can totally see a concept behind this costume that made it a winner. And I'm not a judge.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It has a WTF Factor... that's for sure
    I can't contribute anything about Costume contests, duo to the UNFRIENDLY EUROPEAN HOURS they take place
    6:00 pm ...yeah... Europe has to Sleep/is sleeping

But I read a lot about CC Favoritism on Chats
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Umm...its a Costume Contest, the Judge has all right to choose whoever he wants to win. There are NO set rules for how a CC has to be ran.

If I saw that costume for the Mrs. Clause category I probably would have picked it. It is Hilarious.

Yours was really good by the way, great work on it (no sarcasim.)

But the one who won made me laugh at work.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As someone who hosts and attends a fair number of CC's, I can certainly see why the winner won after I got done laughing.

On a more serious note, your accusations of "favoritism" are not the first, nor are they the last. Are there individuals that win more often than others? Certainly. But being "popular" isn't enough (mostly) to win a CC, and oftentimes recurring winners are just that good.

A CC is, by its very nature, subjective. This means that your costume is being judged not just against the other competitors, but also the judge's tastes. A costume may not win simply because there was another costume they liked more. There isn't a whole lot you can do about this, unfortunately, but attending multiple CC's by them and noting what looks win more often can help you nail their tastes. (Of course, if they rotate judges, then you're SOL)

You have said you asked the judges why you didn't win. That's good. You then proceeded to ignore their feedback. That's bad. You're not going to improve your skills as a costumer if you reject criticism out of hand.

And before you say, "Well, Pot, you've won CC's, so I don't have to listen to you", I lost CC's for six straight months before I started winning. Sometimes it's really a matter of patience and cycling through multiple costumes before you find that winning formula.

Try reading Flare's guide to hosting CC's. Though it's written for hosts, there are some general costuming guidelines in there that are good to follow and will give you an idea of how to approach a CC.

And get a good look at the winners. There's often a good reason they won, and some may even be willing to share costuming tips with you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, don't go to costume contests to win. That's not the point. The point of costume contests is to get together and show off your creation and have some casual good times with fellow tailoring enthusiasts. I'm tickled pink if random people at the contest whisper me and tell me my costume is cool, more so than if I actually win the thing.

The judges can pick anyone they want as the winner. They are under no obligation to follow any criteria whatsoever at any point in time no matter what anyone says or thinks. If they want to close their eyes, wiggle their mouse around like crazy, and pick whoever their cursor lands on as the winner, then they can do that and no one has any right to question their decision. Judges generally aren't given enough time to really scrutinize and consider the participants anyways, so it's really not fair to criticize their decisions. The few times I ended up as a judge I felt really rushed and had to resign myself to the fact that giving me enough time to really think about it would make the whole thing take way too long.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't enter if you can't take losing.

Better yet, run your own durn contest.

Sheesh.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lunaw, I have to ask... For how long have you been playing Champions??

I've been around for over 2 years now, and I have to say... I've lost more CCs that I can count by now. And I have lost count of how many I won too. And took me over 1 year to win a CC!

For me, it's not about winning or losing. It's about go to the theater, have a good time, have fun with the other contestants, check their costumes, get some new ideas, cheer for the winners, brainstorm with others, ask others for their opinion in your costume, laugh about the "outside the box" (in a good way) costumes, and if I get a PM with an "awesome costume, dude!" or "I laughed so hard at your costume! Nice idea", that, right there, it's a win for me...

I wasn't able to attend the Christmas CC cuz I had some problems with my PC, but I had a couple of costumes prepared to it... And most of them were "outside the box", like the winner for Mrs. Santa.

As a judge of a weekly CC myself, I have to say... It's a hard job. Judge around 20 to 40 costumes it's not an easy thing to do, and sometimes we pick some winners closer to our personal taste. Of course WE do!! WE are judging. CCs are and always will be subjective. Maybe my taste (or other judges taste) does not match your taste or other contestants taste, but let's face it, I've been to CCs that I totally disagreed with the winners, but I'd never rant about it... It's their taste!!

Make your own CC and you'll see... It's not that easy to pick winners. But be prepared, cuz not everyone will be pleased by your picks either...
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm sorry but cross dressing Mrs. Claus is just a little more creative than another generic sexy girl in a santa hat...so points go to imagination on that one. I've participated in 4 or 5 CCs so far and have even won once, and I didn't know a single person involved...and while I haven't always agreed that the people who get called up should have been the winners, it does seem to have a lot to do with a judge's personal taste.

That is their right, complaining about it only makes you come out looking like a sore loser...
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How dare they choose what they find appealing or creative.

How dare they offer creative and constructive feedback if you ask them.

How dare they give away their own resources and items that they have earned at only the cost of your own costuming ability and time.

HOW. DARE. THEY.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've seen some CC's where I thought that the winners went above and beyond, and usually those were the ones who were hilarious.

I've also seen one costume contest where the same person won 3 or 4 categories, he was a friend of the group running the contest-- and the people running the costume contest said it was a 'mistake'- letting other people join the festivities.

I've seen some female players win costume contests with cobbled-together costumes that had nothing special going on at all (I saw one in glowing tights and a visor take 'tech').

What do I do? If it seems to me judges are picking friends, chicks they want to impress, or otherwise have tastes I don't care for- I just don't go. It's a matter of opinion and taste. However, that opinion and taste is not protected by a magic bubble and -CAN- be questioned, I just don't think it's worth the drama.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I've seen some female players win costume contests with cobbled-together costumes that had nothing special going on at all (I saw one in glowing tights and a visor take 'tech').

I bet you that most of these are showing 90% or more skin and/or have the boob slider to 11.
    edited July 2013
    I bet you that most of these are showing 90% or more skin and/or have the boob slider to 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44AmqL5tWCM

That above about wraps it up.

Come on, fellas- about 30% of online gamers are women. Many are married but still.
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    11 is the default, and if you lower it, your costume gets distorted. :<
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been in countless CCs and I have only won once (Actually was a runner up but still a winner). I can agree sometimes the winner of CCs seem a bit far fetched but hey I am not a judge and it isn't my right to judge a judge for how they were imagining how someone would make a costume for that particular category. I have been avoiding CCs lately because they are just troll hot spots as of late and have had a few friends who go to them get chat banned for no apparent reason.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only truth you need to know about CCs?

Don't go in to win. Go in to enjoy the community and the other costumes. Don't sweat the losses, even if it looks rigged or you think the winners sucked. Everything beyond the fun of participation is gravy. If you repeatedly walk out of CCs unhappier than when you went in, rethink your participation.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In my experience, a tight design won't necessarily get you a win. Don't think of it as a costume contest. Think of it as a costume creator contest. Whatever wacky or clever thing you can do in the creator is what's going to win. Come up with a stupid pun or just make some weird creature out of the parts you're given and use them in a way that wasn't intended. That's what wins costume contests. A cool-looking hero with great color balance and a tight, cohesive design, that usually isn't going to win.

I like your costume because it's something a superhero would wear, and it has a small Christmas twist to it. But in this game, in the costume contests, people aren't interested in the superhero. They're interested in what clever thing you can do with the costume creator.

So try playing to that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Barely began reading the thread's first post before I began thinking "Oh boy, here we go, bet this is someone saying CCs are crap because they don't win"... and that's exactly what it was.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And how about that chick at right, what an ho, ho, ho. I bet she gets cold in snow. Wearing only xmas tree decorations.....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only truth you need to know about CCs?

Don't go in to win. Go in to enjoy the community and the other costumes. Don't sweat the losses, even if it looks rigged or you think the winners sucked. Everything beyond the fun of participation is gravy. If you repeatedly walk out of CCs unhappier than when you went in, rethink your participation.

Absolutely CCs are bigger than winning and losing I won some and lost exponentially more. It is about having something different than the current leveling or game play to enjoy. It is about community, lame puns, witty thoughts and making sure winners get the clap. Never go in expecting to win. Subjectivity is impossible to quantify. I know I sometimes differ with the judges on their decisions but it is their decision and I shouldn't make it about my opinion unless I am judging. I have known individual judges to give awards after the CC's because they felt strongly in their choice even if the majority voted differently. It is unfair to the winners who put thought effort and time into their ton's looks because I thought I saw something better. Sometimes people feel so strongly they make a scene in chat at the CC and I can tell you it only serves to alienate these folks from many judges in other CCs who also attend CCs they are not judging. CCs are successful with a good community to back them up and make them fun for the attendees and judges.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Be confident in your costuming abilities but for the love of god don't get cocky. Smackwell's got it right. You can have the most well designed, well thought out character and lose, but if you show up and leave your character and concept at the door and just make something crazy, wacky, wild, an interesting twist on the category, or whathaveyou, you stand a much better chance.

I don't win very many CCs because I'm uncomfortable ditching my character just to have a better chance at winning, but there are a few exceptions to the 'characters don't win' "rule." Don't worry, if you frequent CCs at all, I'm sure you know who they are!
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Creating Costumes is its own metagame.

I personally think Champions would have done much better championing concept and character creation not just costume creation.. but don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Some people make crazy outlandish costumes for contests. I think that being ultra creative is great, yet I'm glad they stay in the theatre so I never had to run missions with them.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And how about that chick at right, what an ho, ho, ho. I bet she gets cold in snow. Wearing only xmas tree decorations.....

Too bad she didn`t won! Sry for her! :biggrin:

And to answer to your replies, maybe that "Mrs. Santa costume" is hilarious (at least is not for me), he still does look like he used the Random Button at Tailor with bit of changes. :|
    Lunaw, I have to ask... For how long have you been playing Champions??

For how long I play this game? 1-2 years

Well, yea CCs would be a place for brainstorming and you guys said that I ignore the judges oppinion? I think in most cases they don`t even explain more accurate why they choose a specific costume!
    You're not going to improve your skills as a costumer if you reject criticism out of hand.
    As far I know no judge didn`t criticize any of my CCs costume.
    But looking at your costume, I can honestly see why you didn't win. Its nothing special or eye catching. Remove the Santa hat, and its just a set of red tights. Take away one item and there is nothing about that costume, at all, that even implies Christmas.
    Just for your information, there isn`t too much Christmas costume parts, I`m not even talking about packs because there`s no Mr. & Mrs. Santa Costume pack in game! So you must make a costume based of what you have/brought!
    It has a WTF Factor...
    I guess you will win only if your costume is a WTF factor right? My costume was way too boring to pick as best costume, I guess!
    Yours was really good by the way, great work on it (no sarcasim.)
    Thank you.
    Better yet, run your own durn contest.
    That wouldn`t improve any CC judging! And will not help me winning any CC, If I`m the judge!
    HOW. DARE. THEY
    How they dare to choose onle WTFs costumes?!
    A cool-looking hero with great color balance and a tight, cohesive design, that usually isn't going to win. But in this game, in the costume contests, people aren't interested in the superhero. They're interested in what clever thing you can do with the costume creator.

Well, that`s preety unfair and second this game IS ABOUT HEROES! And doing a silly/not looking good costume, like the "Mrs. Santa" there, isn`t a clever thing at all, at least is not for me! It still looks like a mutant, gigantic, ugly "Mrs Santa" to me!
    Barely began reading the thread's first post before I began thinking "Oh boy, here we go, bet this is someone saying CCs are crap because they don't win"... and that's exactly what it was.
    And your point... is? I`m not a sore loser, if that is you were gonna say! I have been at some CCs and I don`t think that all of my costumes were that bad that I couldn`t win! I just bring out a point of view!

And why no CC judge don`t make a dam thread with some tips on how to win a CCs? What they only do? They only announce the cats in the CC chat! That`s all! No any tips at all! And again, how I`m supposed to win a CC? Reading their minds?!?
    The problem is solved anyway, because I`m not gonna went to any CCs from now on!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    How dare they choose what they find appealing or creative.

I'm with the people who state this.
    How dare they offer creative and constructive feedback if you ask them.

I completely disagree with those blasting the OP for not taking feedback. Because it contradicts the above sentiment directly.

Simple logic: If these are as subjective as stated (and they are) then the feedback is worthless because of the level of subjectivity.

Let's use an example from the original post:
    And when you ask the judges why they didn`t pick your costume as best, they bring up some stupid arguments like: "your costume is too sexy", "I don`t like the mettalic texture"

That is feedback offered. And none of it is constructive. So the judge didn't like the metallic texture? Ok. So next contest you go and make a leather texture. But that judge doesn't like leather. And actually DOES like metallic. Because it's SUBJECTIVE.

And then the person has lost again. By listening to feedback that has no value.

See, if the reasoning is that the judges are judging based on their own tastes and that this is completely subjective (which I absolutely agree with) then 99% of the feedback you get will have no value for you when entering the next contest. (Unless it's run by the same judge).

So let's break this down with the other example given, the Mrs. Santa contest.

The OP took a straightforward approach. And made a Missus Santa who was a Missus.

The winner made a crossdresser, silly guy costume.

The judge, being completely subjective to their own personal whims, voted for the silly one.

There's nothing constructive to be gained from feedback in this instance. It relies solely on a person's opinion at the time. Asking for feedback? I don't see much value in that.

So I agree with the people that say there's really nothing you can do about it because it all hinges on what that judge likes, what makes them laugh, etc, etc, etc.

I really think trying to implement feedback from the judges is just chasing your own tail.

Go with the aesthetics you yourself find appealing. And build your costumes/designs/looks based on that. It will in the long run make you a better designer.

There are, granted, things you can learn. Feedback you can get. But I'd seek it from other sources than judges of the contests you enter. I'm talking basics of fashion design. Or character design. Basics of graphic design and use of color and stuff like that. Get a foundation and then use that foundation to express your own individual artistic tastes. Then you'll have costumes you love, and you'll get people to notice what you do.

Chasing the whims of one judge from one contest to another judge from another contest is just treading water artistically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The only way that I know my costumes is good is when people, pass by and just admire my costume! That is all that matter for me! That`s how I know I make a preety dam, good looking costume (and the Gravitar oppinion of course :biggrin:)!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I completely disagree with those blasting the OP for not taking feedback. Because it contradicts the above sentiment directly.

Simple logic: If these are as subjective as stated (and they are) then the feedback is worthless because of the level of subjectivity.

This is largely incorrect because some of the same people are recurring hosts/judges. That feedback gives an insight into the nature of a particular judge (or team of judges) subjectivity. If someone is a devotee of costume contests, participating with some degree of frequency, then knowing what the individuals who are going to judge her contest do and don't like is not at all worthless.

• Options
    coleson73coleson73 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You don't like it! Do your own and shut up about it!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, that`s preety unfair and second this game IS ABOUT HEROES! And doing a silly/not looking good costume, like the "Mrs. Santa" there, isn`t a clever thing at all, at least is not for me! It still looks like a mutant, gigantic, ugly "Mrs Santa" to me!

I agree with you, the contests should be about heroes, not the costume creator itself, but it doesn't really matter. Whoever puts the money behind it gets to pick what it is.

You either have to play their game or start your own, with your own rules.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The only way that I know my costumes is good is when people, pass by and just admire my costume! That is all that matter for me! That`s how I know I make a preety dam, good looking costume (and the Gravitar oppinion of course :biggrin:)!

Gravitar thinks that your costume sucks, and strongly suspects that you were dressed by a color blind hobo.

Are you sure you want her opinion?
    edited July 2013
    onle

I see.

Well, two things. First, what this guy said:
    ashensnow wrote: »
    This is largely incorrect because some of the same people are recurring hosts/judges. That feedback gives an insight into the nature of a particular judge (or team of judges) subjectivity. If someone is a devotee of costume contests, participating with some degree of frequency, then knowing what the individuals who are going to judge her contest do and don't like is not at all worthless.

Second, (and you do mention parts of this) is there not in fact an quite solidly objective part of being able to make an outfit? In fact, part of the reason why a lot of the most zany and strange looking designs win is because they're treading new ground - they're using techniques and looks that nobody has ever attempted to combine or create before, which not only earns some pretty big props in terms of subjective opinion on the costume, but also, objectively, is quite impressive in how the costume creator managed to set up the look. I mean for example, like it or not, Slapperfish's deranged obese ****************** creations are still technically very impressive and well put together, no matter what you might think of them.

That's just one aspect of a costume of course - A costume creator can also show expertise in things like laying out proportions, colors, visual design, and so forth. Still brings up the question as to whether the host of any given contest is in such a position to give feedback, but there certainly have been cases where there are judges that can rudimentarily explain or apply qualities of an outfit like that, but on the other hand, simply have some alternative approaches to how it should fit together.

In any case, every drop of feedback is helpful in some way (short of feedback that sounds like this.), as it gives a bit of insight as to what others get from it as a first impression. If you like and agree with the advice? Cool, incorporate it into the outfit, and see whether it turns out good. If you think the judge in question will be holding a contest again? Great, you can use that feedback to not only just directly adjust your outfit, but to also get an idea of what said judge likes. And if you don't agree with the input? It's easy enough to ignore it - because it's perfectly possible that the feedback in question won't fit what you were trying to go for on the outfit. The nuance, of course, exists in whether the person giving feedback recognizes that their feedback comes from a subjective position ("Your costume is too metallic!" versus "If you were going for x, I think it would look better if you used cloth.")
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited July 2013
    They should have a costume contest where all the contestants vote for the winner. The only people who will actually have the ability to pick the winner are those who can manage to decide to vote for someone other than themselves. Then, whoever is mad about winning, can try to get all mad at those people... and then those people just have to ask "So who did you vote for? ..oh, yourself? Well, that's big of you."

• Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The positive and thoughtful responses on here make me happy; and the fact that they outweigh the negative ones is a boon to the community.

Straxus' post (#13) is pretty much everything I would say. And a few others have pointed out that you should go to have fun--not to win.

The link to my guide is in my signature--feel free to check it out.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    [...] If you repeatedly walk out of CCs unhappier than when you went in, rethink your participation.

I'm quoting this because I think it's the most reasonable thing said in this thread. There have been a lot of reasonable things said, but this one sums everything up nicely.

• Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    CC are rather biased and annoying, if you don't like it dont go.

I don't

They're tedious and annoying

You can usually tell who's going to win a CC if you know who the judges' friends are ^^

That said, CC's are useful for costume ideas

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    9367238183_d551222906_o.jpg
    (I`m the one with the red hat and the red cape)
    I was the Santa on the far left with the starburst pattern on the torso.

I didn't win any category with any of my costumes, even ones that I thought I had a fair shot and got lots of compliments for in private tells. Also, with few exceptions the people I would have picked for top didn't win either. And yet I had a great time, and walked away totally happy with how things went because I was not the judge and I go these things to have fun and see what crazy things other people are trying with costumes. Things like the non-judge who commented how my snow goon costume was nightmare fuel is worth far more to me then a few measly G I could just grind out by spending the same amount of time actually playing. Also the holder of that contest gave money to *everybody* who lined up that end, even non-winners, so it was a profitable evening anyway (though I wouldn't expect to see that sort of thing happen to often obviously).

This is aside from the fact that I had no actual issue with the pick for Mrs Clause as I love off-the-wall approaches to things, even if it meant that my wife's entry (the hoofed lady in the skirt sharing the square with me) was also passed over. Most of the other picks for winners were not bizarre looking, so obviously that one the judge just found particularly striking.
  • Options
    evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    easiest thing to do is just avoid the CC.

The point of a CC is to show off to the person running it so they can say what looks good to them and what don't and throw a person the prize. Sometimes more popular people have an edge than some unknown (two people show up in same costume, one is the friend of the host the other is unknown. Who do you think will get accused by the host for being a copycat? The unknown guy in most cases.)

I guess that is just the nature of the beast but it isn't really a contest per se but the use of the word contest is a title. In reality, it's "Come line up and based on what I think is a good costume gets a prize". But that is not as catchy as saying costume contest.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Just for your information, there isn`t too much Christmas costume parts, I`m not even talking about packs because there`s no Mr. & Mrs. Santa Costume pack in game! So you must make a costume based of what you have/brought!

And that right there, seems to be part of the problem. If you are relying on packaged costume parts as the main focus of your theme. You are kinda missing the whole point.

If I could only make a Santa using only Santa parts. What exactly would I be judged on in a contest? My appropriate use of parts? The colors I chose?

In real life, at a real costume contest. Would you, yourself, pick the store bought Spiderman costume complete with plastic face mask, held on by a rubber band. Or would you pick the one that was home made, and done custom, and looks like it took more effort then just opening the package and putting it on?
  • Options
    xen0biaxen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OK, so I didn't read every posts but here's my piece on the subject. I attend a lot of contests and if you know me in-game (@xen999) you know I put immense work in creating quality costumes and I believe I'm fairly good at it. Do I win every CC I attend? Hell no. Should I win them all? Of course not, there are other very talented guys and gals out there that come up with great stuff. However... While I generally keep my complaints to myself, there has been occasions in which I left the contest pretty disgruntled or feeling cheated.

There is a palpable uneasiness with CCs as of late and this has turned many people away from participating in them. The OP felt it right to bring it up and made a few valid points, some of which I agree with. But first, I really have to address the common rebuttal I keep seeing concerning this issue...

- "If you don't like it, host your own contests."

Sure, the person could do that... but if he is aspiring to actually winning a contest, he can't really do that while hosting his own contests now can he?

- "They're the ones handing out the prizes, they can do whatever they want."

Of course, but does that mean they can't strive to be fair and honest to all the participants? Or staying true to the categories they have chosen and so on?

- "CCs are for fun, not for winning."

Oh I agree, we should go to CCs to have fun first and foremost, I won't argue that. However... Unfairness is not 'fun', no matter how you put it. Just like in any other competitive field, being beaten by a good opponent is okay because it's fair, both side have even chances. But when the worst of the worst wins because judges apparently don't value good qualities in a costume or are highly biaised toward certain players or whatever, it's incredibly frustrating and, again, not 'fun' in the least.

- "If you don't like it, don't go."

Right. I like making costumes, I like showing them off in CCs, but I can't critisize anything I feel that's wrong with them? Not a very healthy attitude.

Now to address the actual issue...

1) Probably the biggest problem of all... Most judges do not have consistent criterias established among themselves on which to base their selections on; it's pretty much a free for all which often leads to odd choices or judges not really having any defined idea of what to look for.

2) Judges are just regular people, some of which don't have a knack for it and just don't have a very keen eye to make the best choices.

3) Time plays against the judges. Most CCs with no switching last 20-30 minutes with a judging period of 10-15 minutes which is VERY little time. You only really spend a few seconds per costumes which is hardly enough time to make a clear decision, even less time to debate among your peers to make a final decision. I know when I'm judging I always feel pressured to do it rapidly, something I really dislike.

4) It takes all sorts to make a world. Participants like judges have different tastes and so there's ALWAYS going to be someone unhappy. However if you uphold the the highest standards and really strive to pick the best of the lot, you are less likely to get death threats.

5) Favoritism is also an issue. CCs usually attract the same people day after day after day. You would have to be pretty delusional to think CCs are biais-free. One judge picks a friend or a guildie as a winner and then that friend later returns the favor and so on... From the perspective of people outside of the CC circle, it looks like a really closed off community because of this. Resisting favoritism is hard but it's imperative that judges stand against it.

6) Another issue - one that ties with #1 - is judges picking wacky, weird, funny, effed up costume for categories that does not really call for such a choice. Actually, this was pretty much the OP's biggest complaint and one of my personal pet peeve as well. Originality is good but it doesn't necesseraly equate quality or good looking. If a costume made you laugh, fine, give them a honorable mention for their effort but pick a proper winner for the said category. So if you have a cat like, I don't know, 'Military' and someone shows up with nothing but a pink j-string and a bazooka in hand and you somehow find it hilarious, should it really take precedence over someone who's actually dressed up as a military guy? Is it fair to pick the former over the latter? In my opinion it isn't.

7) Because it exists... just plain bad taste.

Anyway, enough of me ranting endlessly... I was tossing around the idea of writing a guide on judging costumes and another for creating good costumes. Would people like that? Yay or Nay?
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    In any case, every drop of feedback is helpful in some way (short of feedback that sounds like this.), as it gives a bit of insight as to what others get from it as a first impression.

So I'm an illustrator and professional designer. And I have a bit of experience in the area of receiving a critique.

I'll share one of the zaniest stories of my artistic career, just to give you kind folks some insight into what is worthless feedback.

Back in 1994 I was a production intern and aspiring comic book artist at Valiant Comics. This was shortly after Shooter was ousted from the company. Bob Layton was running the show with help from Barry Windsor-Smith. They hadn't quite launched "Birthquake" yet. So they were still ramping up for their mega deal with Acclaim.

It was an amazing experience. Functionally I mainly got to handle getting the pages of finished artwork prepared for various stages of production. This meant cleaning up inked pages from stray marks. Setting down speech balloons the letterers had already prepared. Getting high quality copies of those pages to the colorists to color. And taking those finished colored pages to the printer to separate on time.

Grunt work. But I also got to be in the office around a whole host of professionals working in the business I wanted to work in, right at the time I was in college and trying to get work doing that kind of work.

A-freakin-Mazing.

So I got to show my art around to pretty much everyone I could.

And I got a lot of feedback.

So Don Perlin used to work there. The same Don Perlin that used to draw The Avengers (my absolute favorite comic of all-time), and various other Marvel Comics I grew up reading. And I got a chance to show him my stuff.

Mr. Perlin can be kind of gruff, so I wasn't expecting friendly or fuzzy feedback. Which is cool. You get thick skin doing this kind of work or you give it up.

But instead Mr. Perlin just told me I needed to work on my anatomy.

Here's the thing, it was a brushoff. It wasn't feedback.

I very well may have needed to work on my anatomy, but that wasn't really evident in the pieces I had shown.

How did I learn this?

Because that next week, a promotional ad for the upcoming Timewalker series came into the office. Drawn by Mr. Perlin. The hero, Ivar, was drawn with ... get this ... TWO LEFT HANDS.

I had to do a little copier/cut-n-paste magic to flip that hand back to a right hand.

So the guy telling me I needed to work on my anatomy was turning in artwork with two left hands.

It's a very funny story.

But overall worthless feedback.

Telling someone you don't like metallic texture isn't really helpful feedback. It's their opinion. And so you get insight into the details of what that person likes. But you don't get any good feedback to help you as an artist or designer.

And yes, I did work on my anatomy. But really? TWO LEFT HANDS?

/chuckle

My overall point is, as an artist or designer you are going to get a ton of feedback. And it's really on you, the artist, to sift through the "I don't like metallic texture" type of feedback, to get to the feedback that actually can and will help you improve.

And to the OP ... Me? I like the metallic texture and what it can let you do in this game's character creator. But that's just me.

;)

P.S. I also got to show my stuff to Bob Hall. The creative force behind Shadowman at the time and also a former artist on The Avengers. He sat down with me and gave me a good 10 minutes of feedback, all of which really helped push me forward. And gave me some tips on how to improve my anatomy. There is definitely spots where you can get good feedback. I'm just not convinced the OP was going to get it from judges saying "I don't like metallic textures" or "Too sexy."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Telling someone you don't like metallic texture isn't really helpful feedback. It's their opinion. And so you get insight into the details of what that person likes. But you don't get any good feedback to help you as an artist or designer.

My overall point is, as an artist or designer you are going to get a ton of feedback. And it's really on you, the artist, to sift through the "I don't like metallic texture" type of feedback, to get to the feedback that actually can and will help you improve.

The OP was not asking about how to improve. They want to win. Being given information on what will make a judge dislike your costume is relevant to a desire to win.

Awesome story BTW (seriously. not a "cool story bro comment).

• Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Everyone is offering you real good advice. So with that said, I, Caliga will offer you advice with my great and vast majestic experiences:

Don't make sucky costumes.:smile:
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all, CCs (Costume Contests) are unique to this game! In no other game, you will never meet such amaizing event!

What is not that amaizing about CCs, well, is their Judges! In most of the cases, Judges are not fair when it comes to pick up the best costume! They pick costumes that sometimes doesn`t even match the cat (category), the gender of the costume and many other cat specifications!

If you ask me, most of the Judges are simply blind when it comes to choose the best costume!

I have been in some CCs (not too many) and I cleary see that most of the Judges aren`t fair when it comes to pick a costume! And when you ask the judges why they didn`t pick your costume as best, they bring up some stupid arguments like: "your costume is too sexy", "I don`t like the mettalic texture" and many more of these kind! And when you say to them that these reasons aren`t that solid to reject your costume, they simply start saying that: "start doing your own CCs and judge them"! With that reason is cleary tha the CC judging will not improve this way!

If you wanna know how many CCs I have won? Well, ... none and I don`t thinink I will won one single CC in this game! Why? Becuase of the reasons I listed above! And I don`t think I will ever participate at a CC, except the cases when someone want to judge costume, and believe me, I`m not the person who choose crappy costumes as best ones!

And if you are courious why I quit CCs, well let`s give you an example on how fair can a judge can be! Of course I won`t say any names!
    Recently I have participated at a Christmas CC hosted by a judge! I choosed the last cat of the CC, named Mrs and Mr Santa! Here is my costume:

9367238183_d551222906_o.jpg
    (I`m the one with the red hat and the red cape)

You might wonder who won the Mrs. Santa Costume? Cleary not me, even if I did such nice piece or work. This guy won:

9367238683_3270034bc3_o.jpg
    (The one with the white gloves, bear shoulderpads and who is showing his muscles! The other guy is Mr. Santa!)
    So yea, this ugly dude, with oversized Grond body, black stockings, red dress and doll face had won the Mrs Santa cat, instead of me!

So, do you think is fair? Do you think this dude should have won for Mrs. Santa? I mean c`mon he`s a dude, he`s ugly AND silly dressed! How in the world this dude could have won a single CC as Mrs Santa?!?!

But this is only an example on how UNFAIR Judges can be in CCs! If this will still continue as it continues today, I only hope CCs will have the same fate as PvP! And by saying that, I say everything!

Have a wonderfull day! And "happy" CCs!

Its all a question of what a person finds funny or awesome or not everyones different. BUT I will say this some CC are blatant super group recruitment drives and anyone not in a SG is more likely to win.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'll share another secret with you. In my desk, where my computer sits, I keep a notepad and a pen (a really nice Skilcraft aviator red/black/pencil, actually- totally worth $15.00). I actually have a notepad for every game I play on my computer, and CO's is the largest. I keep notes for things like quest notes, wish lists, reminders, etc.

I have a section for 'social'. I make notes of things like RP events, Costume Contests, etc.

I highly recommend you do what I do.

When I see someone win X Supergroup's costume contest, I'll make a note of them. What they wore, what categories they won, etc. I'll go to another X Supergroup costume contest, and if I see this person win repeatedly, I'll just not attend the costume contest- especially if this person is playing an alt and is a part of the SG (I've seen this happen). I won't waste my time on this group any more, and I will find other things to do.

I do this for RP events as well. I have my own personal 'not ignored' blacklist. I keep a log of people I'll avoid in any RP at all, but not outright cut off. There are entire SG's that, no matter what they offer, I won't RP with them because of the way they've treated others and their characters.

Yes, costume contests are supposed to be fun- and I've won two myself, and I enjoyed most of the others. I don't go in to win, but I always think 'it'd be cool if I did'. But, I know that it's all a matter of preference for the judges.

I will also say that I've seen groups pick their own members under alt accounts, and use costume contests as a way of making each other look and feel better than the 'unwashed masses'. The actual wording I use for this sort of thing isn't appropriate for the forums, but it involves hands and genitals as a gesture of friendship.

Is it 'just my opinion' if a judge picks a winner I think was 'meh' at best? Sure. It's opinion vs. opinion, and no one is wrong or right and opinions can be questioned and criticized. In the end, I'm not going to change the way X Supergroup does their costume contest. However, I don't have to participate. I can share my observations and notes with others. When X Supergroup advertises in Zone Chat about their Costume Contest, I can be a jerk and ask in that same Zone chat 'Will @mrdudeguy from your SG win two categories again with one of his alts like last week and the week before?' It's a jerk move, but it's not completely without merit.

It's not that the OP is wrong for their complaint. But it's all about picking your battles and knowing how to fight them, if it's worth fighting.
This discussion has been closed.