test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is pure melee still viable?

purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Hero Games
So I am trying to get back into CoPvP after a long break, and I was wondering if a pure melee build can actually compete with the builds that are popular now.

From what I've gathered from the forums and recent videos, ranged builds seem to be the "in" thing right now. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me it's not a lost cause to go pure melee or that I'm greatly mistaken when I say range is king.
I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
Post edited by purin1 on

Comments

• Options
    implinimplin Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    purin1 wrote: »
    So I am trying to get back into CoPvP after a long break, and I was wondering if a pure melee build can actually compete with the builds that are popular now.

From what I've gathered from the forums and recent videos, ranged builds seem to be the "in" thing right now. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me it's not a lost cause to go pure melee or that I'm greatly mistaken when I say range is king.

Yes.

Saying that, unless you are going for the basic UR / NPG spam build that lots of people have, it may be hard. There are a few other builds out there, for example I've seen some pretty good melee builds sometimes that can beat some people. But as I say, it's very hard. Try finding some people who are melee in pvp and ask them as they may be able to help you.

I.M.P.@drimp in Champions (Careful that you don't get hit by falling bombs when dueling)
    Dr Imp@drimp in Neverwinter (Apparently I use hax and exploits, also I apparently payed to win)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, I still have a few friends who play so getting help shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, what is NPG?
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [...]

Oh boy...that's gonna be a mood killer.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, it is not.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't consider myself a good PvP player but I know that having some form of control in your melee build goes a long way in making it viable, that being knock ups, snares, stuns and roots. Don't forget that lunge power too.
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ive had some great PvP duels fighting other pure melee. Some most excellent fun to be had. Thing about duels you can avoid the ebon ruin AOPM children. Melee one on one takes skill.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ive had some great PvP duels fighting other pure melee. Some most excellent fun to be had. Thing about duels you can avoid the ebon ruin AOPM children. Melee one on one takes skill.

This was basically what I was doing before I stopped playing. I suppose I'll be doing the same thing to an extent now.

I don't like the idea of avoiding so much of the population, but I'll probably have to put up with them in B.A.S.H.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Neuroelectric Pulse Generator

It's a legacy device that has a 4ft range. It knocks back and causes pretty high damage so some people end up getting lots of them, then as soon as they get within 4ft of you they spam all 5 of them.

I.M.P.@drimp in Champions (Careful that you don't get hit by falling bombs when dueling)
    Dr Imp@drimp in Neverwinter (Apparently I use hax and exploits, also I apparently payed to win)
  • Options
    bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pure melee is still viable it just takes alot of commitment to pull it off. Min/Maxing if you will, getting the best gear and the highest stats you can for your build.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was wrong. Melee is viable.

Make sure you're using Two Gun Mojo at melee range.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was wrong. Melee is viable.

Make sure you're using Two Gun Mojo at melee range.

Haha, aphrodite style? :D

• Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know...lately I noticed Aphrodite's build isn't that unkillable, just 2 pps and he's down...it just works perfectly in Duels...but oh wait no one ganks Aphrodite. Coz you know, SoT and stuff...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You know...lately I noticed Aphrodite's build isn't that unkillable, just 2 pps and he's down...it just works perfectly in Duels...but oh wait no one ganks Aphrodite. Coz you know, SoT and stuff...

Well and the fact he uses rank 3 teleport that I can't see because I don't have the stealth sight secondary. But I will usually put in /bind f target 'playername' for whoever is at the top in bash. lol Read my comment in the other thread, it sums up aphrodite and bash at the moment.

• Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    implin wrote: »
    Well and the fact he uses rank 3 teleport that I can't see because I don't have the stealth sight secondary. But I will usually put in /bind f target 'playername' for whoever is at the top in bash. lol Read my comment in the other thread, it sums up aphrodite and bash at the moment.

Ok... ^.~
    Nice
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm bumping this as a thanks to everyone who answered, even though some of the replies were sarcastic or "lol no." But at least the negative responses motivated me to prove some people wrong. :rolleyes:

And a special thanks to Imp - after looking at this thread again with proper knowledge of the game I realized you gave me the most appropriate answers.

It wasn't surprising that it was tough to perform with some form of mediocrity by going melee (while avoiding devices and UR), but I find that it's worth it. I'd rather have fun with a build I like and accept the fact that I'm not the uber-best-pvp'er-who-can-kick-anyone's-butt-without-trying.

And I'll say it - I find PvP to be fun. Even with all of the hostility I think it's worth it to give duels and the Hero Games a shot.
  • Options
    amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd rather have fun with a build I like and accept the fact that I'm not the uber-best-pvp'er-who-can-kick-anyone's-butt-without-trying.

And I'll say it - I find PvP to be fun. Even with all of the hostility I think it's worth it to give duels and the Hero Games a shot.

Agreed. :redface:
  • Options
    clawsandeffectclawsandeffect Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm bumping this as a thanks to everyone who answered, even though some of the replies were sarcastic or "lol no." But at least the negative responses motivated me to prove some people wrong. :rolleyes:

And a special thanks to Imp - after looking at this thread again with proper knowledge of the game I realized you gave me the most appropriate answers.

It wasn't surprising that it was tough to perform with some form of mediocrity by going melee (while avoiding devices and UR), but I find that it's worth it. I'd rather have fun with a build I like and accept the fact that I'm not the uber-best-pvp'er-who-can-kick-anyone's-butt-without-trying.

I'll bring my Fighting Claws/Regeneration toon down to play sometime.

Is it good at PvP? No idea, but I'll throw down with you sometime.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Then the question was rather "Is pure melee able to compete at the highest levels of min-maxing", where the answer is no. But frankly what's better? To clownize yourself to compete with people who won't give a damn anyways, or to play what you like and eventually avoid the obvious stuff looking to get on your face?

Nowdays high caliber PvP is degrading enough to go for the second option.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    A typical day as melee in PvP.

pvp-2.png

nofg_zps8f2db1d1.png

pvp-1.png

icansl_zps7804125e.png
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'll bring my Fighting Claws/Regeneration toon down to play sometime.

Is it good at PvP? No idea, but I'll throw down with you sometime.

Sounds good. I'll warn you that even though I hold to a theme of sorts, I still took a few "standard" PvP powers on my build just in case we ever do get the chance to duel.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    Then the question was rather "Is pure melee able to compete at the highest levels of min-maxing", where the answer is no. But frankly what's better? To clownize yourself to compete with people who won't give a damn anyways, or to play what you like and eventually avoid the obvious stuff looking to get on your face?

Nowdays high caliber PvP is degrading enough to go for the second option.

I need to disagree with you there. I believe it is completely viable to compete at the highest levels of min-maxing on a melee build. Sure, it's harder to achieve that than possibly anything else in this game, and one can argue that it is just not worth it to put all the effort in, but it's possible. And it feels pretty rewarding when you win games of Bash when it seems like your character is stuck in the past when all he or she has is primitive blades and all of your opponents have Glock 18's and access to call in precision air strikes.

I see neither of those options as better. I try my best to find a happy middle to compete at my full potential with the build that I like. The only person I am trying to impress is myself, so I try my best to compete, and excel, at all forms of PvP in this game - including playing against some of the builds/methods most consider wrong to do. I do run into builds and situations that I can't do anything about yet, but that only means that I wasn't good enough to overcome that obstacle and it motivates me to get even better.
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I need to disagree with you there. I believe it is completely viable to compete at the highest levels of min-maxing on a melee build. Sure, it's harder to achieve that than possibly anything else in this game, and one can argue that it is just not worth it to put all the effort in, but it's possible. And it feels pretty rewarding when you win games of Bash when it seems like your character is stuck in the past when all he or she has is primitive blades and all of your opponents have Glock 18's and access to call in precision air strikes.

I see neither of those options as better. I try my best to find a happy middle to compete at my full potential with the build that I like. The only person I am trying to impress is myself, so I try my best to compete, and excel, at all forms of PvP in this game - including playing against some of the builds/methods most consider wrong to do. I do run into builds and situations that I can't do anything about yet, but that only means that I wasn't good enough to overcome that obstacle and it motivates me to get even better.
    You have got my respect!! Play to make you happy! That's what it's about. And you get to keep your soul at the same time. Good for you. :smile:
  • Options
    clawsandeffectclawsandeffect Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sounds good. I'll warn you that even though I hold to a theme of sorts, I still took a few "standard" PvP powers on my build just in case we ever do get the chance to duel.

Fine by me, I'm barely aware of what the "standard" PvP powers are.

I might load up on a bunch of lunges in the later levels when I run out of stuff I actually want. I've noticed that as a trend already, after about level 26 or so I already have all the stuff I want and it's just like "Okay, now what sounds like fun?"
  • Options
    lucysneakymynxlucysneakymynx Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *gives luvhammer a sneaky hug from behind* <3 ^_^ [BOOM_RAWR]

<3

Hey, mate. I think you'll be disagreeing with the likes of him quite often. Some people just don't get it until everyone gets steamrolled hundreds of times.

...Oh, by the way, f0rz, I never implied that I cared more than I should about your righteousness, just in case you assumed (again!) that I was judging you. The only thing I had wanted out of PvP from you all was for you all to learn why your builds sucked and/or how they needed to be optimized so that you can build awesome and be awesome alone instead of hunting in packs. Apparently, this isn't really happening. Your morality is your business. I forgive yew for making me laugh hysterically at yew and all yer epic fail assassination attempts. *squish!* ^_~ I don't know what you people did for 4 years but you all need to experiment more. Rawr. <3

DarkonX seems to get it now. I respect that. He seems sincere to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    All the melee pvpers should get together, friend each other, and then just have team duels in carl's gym with each other. If you do it right, you'll actually end up creating some amount of balance... hero games will have only ranged, and carls gym will have all the melee.

Hey, maybe I should go to the suggestions forum and suggest a melee only pvp que. Then afterwards, I'm going to go brush my cat who never seems to run out of loose fur, but I'm sure today is the day she'll finally stop shedding!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    ...or we could have wild lovemaking parties.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    All the melee pvpers should get together, friend each other, and then just have team duels in carl's gym with each other. If you do it right, you'll actually end up creating some amount of balance... hero games will have only ranged, and carls gym will have all the melee.

Hey, maybe I should go to the suggestions forum and suggest a melee only pvp que. Then afterwards, I'm going to go brush my cat who never seems to run out of loose fur, but I'm sure today is the day she'll finally stop shedding!

Carl's Gym has a very low ceiling. :(

Oh, I had missed that. Well, yes, you can, of course you can, if you're ready to gut your character the same way as ranged builds. It's proven to be very... degrading.

• Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Degrading" doesn't begin to cover it, Forz. :frown:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's only degrading if you have no idea how to powerbuild but think you do.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Well that explains that.

• Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yes, but has anyone powerbuilt even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Well that explains that.

Absolutely! ^_~

I'm still waiting for yew to flog teams of 5 with your first breakthrough "PvP build" and record all the evidence since there are "top-tier" players who can't even understand how to set up a simple test or gather empirical evidence. Put up or shut up. ^_~
  • Options
    impiamimpiam Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Absolutely! ^_~

I'm still waiting for yew to flog teams of 5 with your first breakthrough "PvP build" and record all the evidence since there are "top-tier" players who can't even understand how to set up a simple test or gather empirical evidence. Put up or shut up. ^_~

How are you even able to follow so many threads that pretty much are about the same thing now at once? 0.o makes no sense to me, don't you feel you are just repeating yourself?

Hi by the way :3
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    impiam wrote: »
    How are you even able to follow so many threads that pretty much are about the same thing now at once? 0.o makes no sense to me, don't you feel you are just repeating yourself?

When forums are your only battlefield, you've got to put effort into it. Then there's the whole thing about talking crap then dragging the topics into one which is 'HEY I WIN' and bingo, you derail everything at once and it's easier to follow since barely any amount of constructiveness is needed.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    When forums are your only battlefield, you've got to put effort into it. Then there's the whole thing about talking crap then dragging the topics into one which is 'HEY I WIN' and bingo, you derail everything at once and it's easier to follow since barely any amount of constructiveness is needed.

Um... Didn't you recently accuse me of being hypocritical? Do you like humiliating yourself? Why do I always have to point this out to people who should be intelligent? Would you please be arrogant without being hilariously stupid? Let me compliment you, dang it! ^_^ Do I have to explain how you just made fun of yourself this time too? You're older than I am! I need another pina colada! /headdesk

Where's my waiter? :Looks for alodylis:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    impiam wrote: »

I was given a mind at birth. Obviously I repeat actions, including PvP 0wnage, since most CO players are a little slow. I honestly thought there would be like 45% talented builders. Boy was I wrong. haha

Your goddess has spoken! Ahhhh! :breaks a wine glass with epic falsetto: \o/
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Absolutely! ^_~

I build theme builds that don't use the core pvp abilities, so that won't be happening. Looking forward to your next video though.

• Options
    edited July 2013

I build theme builds that don't use the core pvp abilities, so that won't be happening. Looking forward to your next video though.

Nearly all my builds are theme builds, and I had dozens, including the ones you haven't seen yet. I tore people up with that NW cyclone build, and even single blade was too easy. Like I said, you take away their human pets and these "legendaries" are abysmal at best. Impossible is nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Nearly all my builds are theme builds, and I had dozens, including the ones you haven't seen yet. I tore people up with that NW cyclone build, and even single blade was too easy. Like I said, you take away their human pets and these "legendaries" are abysmal at best. Impossible is nothing.

Ah Lucy, you're always good for a laugh. I'm glad you're back :smile:

• Options
    edited July 2013

Ah Lucy, you're always good for a laugh. I'm glad you're back :smile:

You're effectively laughing at a perceived inability to learn. I can't believe in you for you. No excuses, soldier!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    You're effectively laughing at a perceived inability to learn. I can't believe in you for you. No excuses, soldier!

Ipso facto, comedy.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Cool story, pro.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread is starting to remind me of this.

the-cat-came-back.jpg

Yew guys aint gonna win this , not with your sanity intact at least.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Smoochy's cheeks are screaming to be pinched!

Then do it. You scared I might use Evasive Manuevers? :3

• Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Then do it. You scared I might use Evasive Manuevers? :3
    tumblr_m9mmn6n9781rxmzego1_500.jpg
    Smoochan did you fail doing your Evasive Manuevers? xD
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    tumblr_m9mmn6n9781rxmzego1_500.jpg
    Smoochan did you fail doing your Evasive Manuevers? xD

fail_anime_girl_motive_by_meganinuyasha-d577u6e.jpg

Smoochan once lost a duel to a frying pan.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Amateurs. -.-

Armachars? I think I will thank yew very much :3

934%20-%20armchair%20cat%20cookie%20cute%20hiding.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hold still. <3

Silence you! Ima trying to figure out my Poke'ball cosplay.

00025589.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    OoOo *^_~.

RUN LUCY MYSTERONS ARE CHASING YOUR FACE \o\
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I feel a ban coming on! /e lookout

there-was-a-spider-its-gone-now-international-association-of-haters.jpg