Comments

• warsirenwarsiren Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yes, Please!!!!
    Thori-Siggy-2_zps2ccf70bd.png
  • alsosbalsosb Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, please!

I used to casually mod for Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind, and CO is already a game that gets a lot of its appeal from customization. This is a great fit, and I would love to get my hands dirty with it.
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    stanley2.gif
    pls pls plzzzzzz

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This would really bring this game to life.

Yes Please
  • jackniefpwjackniefpw Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good God, Yes, please, thank you.
  • lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Six hundred replies and half a year later, and we haven't heard a peep. Can we just let this thread die already? It's never going to happen.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Give up on trying to make this thread die out. It will die when we get Foundry.
    edited July 2013
    Whats the foundry building opposite the bookstore?

I ran in quickly the other day but was on my way to summon a Demon Key. There didn't seem to be anything to activate. Guess I should... run in again.
    edited July 2013
    So its just old skills TC?

The Foundry is a free to use content generator (free for NWO, paid subscription for STO) to make your own missions and publish it to the rest of the player base.
  • opak1opak1 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes please!

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Given the lack of developer response, doubting that this will ever occur
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Six hundred replies and half a year later, and we haven't heard a peep. Can we just let this thread die already? It's never going to happen.

bingo, just like this game one must wonder if it is still relevant. we haven't been given a yes or no.
  • borak2borak2 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes Please
  • senzsunsenzsun Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ohhhhhhhhh yes please. And now. Or tomorrow at the latest.
    ===================================

I am not bad at punctuation!
    MMORPGs are just bad at recognizing non QWERTY. :#
  • kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, please. As a veteran dungeon master and a soon-to-be writer, I'd love a Foundry for one of my favorite MMOs of all time.
  • junglestreakerjunglestreaker Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We need this, so I say yes.
  • jennspacejennspace Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We want our Champions Online's Architect Entertainment!! :biggrin:
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Charchitect Enterpionsonline!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • valheri6valheri6 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes please!
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,959 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can someone explain what this is
    Psi.
  • sacerd75sacerd75 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes Please.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cryneting wrote: »
    Can someone explain what this is
    By "this", do you mean the thread, or the Foundry?

The Foundry is the name given by Cryptic to their system, debuted in STO and slightly more polished in NW, that allows users to write their own stories set in the game universe, and use in-game assets to build the interactive MMO adventure. (I've only played one so far, a STO adventure that sets out to explain a bug they had last year that made all the Bridge Officers look like one of a few templates - it involves holoprojectors and Lt. Reginald Barclay's daughter. It was short, but fun, and funny.)

This thread was inspired by a casual remark on the part of Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert, having to do with wanting to make sure there was support in the CO community for a Foundry here. (Apparently, since this game wasn't built with a Foundry in mind, it would take a lot of work to put it in, and nobody's going to start a project of that scope without being sure there's support for it.) We are by no means certain that posting our "yes please" lines in here will result in a Foundry - but it might help, and it can't hurt...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Foundry is something that CO has needed for a long time, and it should have been done years ago. With that said...yes to the Foundry.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've used both Foundries, and let me tell ya, NW's is more than 'a little more polished.'
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How many clumps of currency must we throw at you?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Any official word on this?
    ERgLqqC.png
  • tenebrisnoxtenebrisnox Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I haven't logged in (either in the forums nor in the game itself) for a long time now so...
    Yes Please.
    edited July 2013
    aurinkosi wrote: »
    Any official word on this?

The word has always been 'we'd love to, we know you want it, we just don't have the resources/it's too hard.'

That has not changed and shows no signs of changing. STO foundry is still waiting and hoping for NW stuff to filter back (which Cryptic claimed was the plan eventually)

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    The word has always been 'we'd love to, we know you want it, we just don't have the resources/it's too hard.'

That has not changed and shows no signs of changing. STO foundry is still waiting and hoping for NW stuff to filter back (which Cryptic claimed was the plan eventually)

^^^^^^
    Was the case before this thread, and will continue to be for the near future.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited July 2013
    I mean, it'd be awesome if NW is so fabulously successful that someone says 'hey, let's toss a little toward CO and see if we can't revive that game.'

I remain hopeful that somehow that happens.

It's just so much more likely that they go 'heck, this makes money, we'll focus here.'

• jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, please.
    [b]Still can't use BBCode for my signature, so I'm writing it out in each post... sad.[/b]
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,959 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    By "this", do you mean the thread, or the Foundry?

The Foundry is the name given by Cryptic to their system, debuted in STO and slightly more polished in NW, that allows users to write their own stories set in the game universe, and use in-game assets to build the interactive MMO adventure. (I've only played one so far, a STO adventure that sets out to explain a bug they had last year that made all the Bridge Officers look like one of a few templates - it involves holoprojectors and Lt. Reginald Barclay's daughter. It was short, but fun, and funny.)

This thread was inspired by a casual remark on the part of Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert, having to do with wanting to make sure there was support in the CO community for a Foundry here. (Apparently, since this game wasn't built with a Foundry in mind, it would take a lot of work to put it in, and nobody's going to start a project of that scope without being sure there's support for it.) We are by no means certain that posting our "yes please" lines in here will result in a Foundry - but it might help, and it can't hurt...

Ah well thanks.

P.s Yes Please!
    Psi.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Still want it. Will always want it. I think an issue is how flexible the creation system is. I remember one of the Devs saying every item had to be tagged and that people would want to control the powers (or at least sets in the multiples) of their villains and that required a lot of time and tech beyond what was currently available. I haven't actually used STO or NW foundries but I bet it's easier when the class is straight forward. Oh, and if the main company actually cares to invest more than taking Devs at key developing times and actually doing some marketing. That might help too.

It would be a huge undertaking though...

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You sure you want the foundry here guys? Have a look on the NW Foundry forums http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?1151-The-Foundry taste the pretentious then get back to me :P

Oh and you got to love the review swaps people trade good reviews even if mishes are crap JOY OF ENDLESS JOYS!
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, of course we still want it. Your reason for not wanting it is "I don't like what some people are writing"??? Pfftt...you always get a lot of dross with things like this. Better dross than "here's your next week of the-same-old-thing content before it disappears for an undetermined amount of time".
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    Yes, of course we still want it. Your reason for not wanting it is "I don't like what some people are writing"??? Pfftt...you always get a lot of dross with things like this. Better dross than "here's your next week of the-same-old-thing content before it disappears for an undetermined amount of time".

Damn right I dont like what they are writing in the mishes AND the forums and I am not the only one theres a quite a few NW players other than myself that are annoyed by the "authors".

I agree with your logic sound as always BUT these people defy logic when they start calling themselves "authors" and start acting like King Edward around ALL the forum because they made some elf erp epic.

You cant spot them by their sigs >_>
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited July 2013
    Why the hell would anyone care? You play their stuff or you don't. Or you make your own. What seems stuck in your craw is something that's not in the least important to the concept.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    Why the hell would anyone care? You play their stuff or you don't. Or you make your own. What seems stuck in your craw is something that's not in the least important to the concept.

Dec any mish that doesn't fit their narrow idea of a good mish they band together and mass report as a grinding mish even if they arnt. They give each other good reviews and troll the review sections of normal players foundry's. Its gotten toxic. Its not as simple as not playing their stuff I wish it was.
    edited July 2013
    I already get that you have a problem with these people. That's THEM (and I assume another one of Cryptic/PWE's horrid "reporting systems"), not the Foundry. Hell, I'll bet if you don't approach that crowd for a review, they'll never even notice your story. Forum Wars Drama eventually dies down once the system's been in place for a while. STO's had the Foundry for some time now. Do they have that degree of issues? Or is it just because everything's new over at NWN?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    I already get that you have a problem with these people. That's THEM (and I assume another one of Cryptic/PWE's horrid "reporting systems"), not the Foundry. Hell, I'll bet if you don't approach that crowd for a review, they'll never even notice your story. Forum Wars Drama eventually dies down once the system's been in place for a while. STO's had the Foundry for some time now. Do they have that degree of issues? Or is it just because everything's new over at NWN?

Ahh but the difference is STO's foundry is not 100% free to use like in Neverwinter so it cuts down on childish acts. A foundry like STO's is what CO needs.
    edited July 2013
    I think you'll find it's more the people involved, and that it's "new". When CoX's version of this came out, sure there were problematic issues, but they got straightened out fairly quickly, and things evened out over time. The good outweighed the bad eventually (behavior-wise, not necessarily content-wise). Basically, I'm saying you're wanting to pitch the baby out with the bathwater because the bathwater still being too hot is making the baby scream. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    I think you'll find it's more the people involved, and that it's "new". When CoX's version of this came out, sure there were problematic issues, but they got straightened out fairly quickly, and things evened out over time. The good outweighed the bad eventually (behavior-wise, not necessarily content-wise). Basically, I'm saying you're wanting to pitch the baby out with the bathwater because the bathwater still being too hot is making the baby scream. :tongue:

I will agree with this point.

As far as I remember CoX's was never as bad as Neverwinters as far as the users go ( Golden Gal excluded less said about her the better .__." ) . With CO players old and new being mostly CoX vets this might ( and I say might ) bode well for the foundry if it was ever launched here.
    edited July 2013
    open to LTS only :biggrin:

(at least they will care)
    Ahh but the difference is STO's foundry is not 100% free to use like in Neverwinter so it cuts down on childish acts. A foundry like STO's is what CO needs.

Let me guess, you don't play much STO?

There was more then one huge battle between authors and grinders and many side battles.
    If you think stuff ist bad in NW, you have no idea how bad it was (and is) in STO.

A Brief Chronology of the Foundry War
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537351
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=539351
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=530341
    and many more.

Not even CoX was that peaceful..

Personally I got yesterday my first "negative" foundry review, just a bit after I posted my feedback on a forum thread. Some don't like what you write and retaliate with 1-2star.

The point is, the foundry is the only thing atm that keeps me playing in NWO. I have played a new char to lvl 43 just with foundry missions + a few cryptic quest. I like it, the stuff some players can create is amazing and IMHO CO would benefit from a foundry tool.

Now if remember correctly from a NW forum post, you lost one of your foundry quest and that certainly hurt but I don't think we should surrender to villains that easily.

The foundry is a amazing tool and CO is in dire need of more content..
    edited July 2013
    For one thing, Foundry authors call themselves authors because an author is anyone who writes stuff. And... you write stuff.

For another, every time you enter Foundry it gives you a name of Author@handle. So Cryptic ... pretty much is establishing 'hey, you are an author.'

What other word are you going to use for 'people who generate content using Foundry'?

As for NW authors being prissy or whatever... there are people who go around handing out anonymous 1 star reviews to manipulate what appears on the listings. Or out of revenge.

It's like the chat ban system... Cryptic just utterly fails to get 'people' when designing these systems.

And as for STO... boy howdy. Yeah, no. STO Foundry had much worse flamewars and griefing issues, which is one reason I'm ticked at Cryptic -- they've had 3 or so years to learn from what happened to STO Foundry and learned... pretty much nothing.

(Although next big NW Patch promises better foundry search, which may help a lot... )

STO Foundry, for example, had 1 year during which you could make a Foundry mission where you walked in, pushed a button, and leave with a reward.
    Authors kept complaining about this -- it trivialized the content, flooded the listings with exploits rather than stories, and so on.

When the devs finally got around to fixing this, two things happened:
    A bunch of folks decried Authors as being jerks ruining their fun, trying to 'force' people to read their 'hours long epics of walls of texts. Your stuff sucks. We're not going to read it!'
    They called authors elitist jerks who Cryptic was eager to please, and clearly it was the authors who made the changes happen because Cryptic didn't want to risk losing their source of free content.

Devs spoke up... to complain that authors hadn't 'policed themselves' enough to prevent the abuse.

Yeah. That's awesome.

Nepht, glad to know where you stand.

Edit: Oh, also, STO Foundry is functionally free. You can spend 6000 dilithium (like questionite, so about a day of play) to buy Foundry slots, thus unlocking Foundry.
    This is about as much of a hurdle as NW Foundry, which requires you to hit level 15 to unlock Foundry.

edited July 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Let me guess, you don't play much STO?

There was more then one huge battle between authors and grinders and many side battles.
    If you think stuff ist bad in NW, you have no idea how bad it was (and is) in STO.

A Brief Chronology of the Foundry War
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537351
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=539351
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=530341
    and many more.

Not even CoX was that peaceful..

Personally I got yesterday my first "negative" foundry review, just a bit after I posted my feedback on a forum thread. Some don't like what you write and retaliate with 1-2star.

The point is, the foundry is the only thing atm that keeps me playing in NWO. I have played a new char to lvl 43 just with foundry missions + a few cryptic quest. I like it, the stuff some players can create is amazing and IMHO CO would benefit from a foundry tool.

Now if remember correctly from a NW forum post, you lost one of your foundry quest and that certainly hurt but I don't think we should surrender to villains that easily.

The foundry is a amazing tool and CO is in dire need of more content..

Been in STO since Beta ( I love ganking the feds :D ) long before I started playing CO also a STO LTSr. I just find in my opinion all the hoohaa in Trek was marginal compared to Neverwinters. But one womans HooHaa is another mans all out war I suppose.

I concede all 3 of the foundrys have had their issues and NO U threads but I find the Dungeon and Dragon's foundry lot to be somewhat pretentious. I will agree there was issues in STO but people there seem less anal. Heck some of the same Hoohaa's you pointed out appeared first in CoX.

Seriously the Neverwinter guys even have pretentious toon names.

I dont think its the issues , they might all be exactly the same BUT the people in the Neverwinter foundry I dont like. It might come across as a bit harsh but theres something about them that just makes you want to go SHUT THE HELL UP! :O

I will add in all fairness it might be the fact I am a long time Champions PnPer and Dungeons and Dragons is a swear word in my house I may be biased :P
    edited July 2013
    Nepht, do you really mean to tell x0y1, me, and anyone else here that makes Neverwinter Foundry missions that we suck?

Because it's kind of mean.