What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Foundry: THIS JUST IN!

Comments

• Options
    drmechanodrmechano Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah the Mission Architect also suffered from the same problem in CoH. It was discussed, at length, ways to change the 1-5 star rating system and instead switch it to a good, average, poor set of stars on the missions, that way, like Amazon, if something is like 99% 5 stars it'll show that the person that rated it 1 star is in the minority.

Either way, after what happened with the AE in CoH they're probably not exactly keen to repeat that mistake. the AE was popular for six months and then died a death, nobody but farmers and hardcore AE runners bothered using it and the farmers outnumbered the people playing the arcs for the plot ten to one. It was a NIGHTMARE to balance and got to the point where the dev team just threw up their hands and gave up on the freaking thing after a year.

They wasted a metric ton of resources on this thing, made a big splash about it and it turned out to pretty much have been a waste of time, especially when they reintroduced the low level sewer runs as a more effecient way of burning past the early levels easily.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    YES, PLEASE

Like Asteroidus above, I also think I've found the perfect thread to make my first post. And I, too, would throw a ton more coinage into Champions Online when and if the Foundry shows up. Not only by way of any paid perks or features that might be rolled into the Foundry, but also simply because it would lure me in more often and my presence (and wallet) within the game would be stronger.

I know this is an old thread, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, so I'll skip right to the core "probletunity" for the community rep who is keeping score in this thread. I've watched COO Zinkievich's GDC 12 talk on UGC. I know, and he knows, and you know, that for a cost-benefit analysis, you may as well just draw a steep green line climbing upward. I don't believe anyone at the top needs to be convinced that it's a good idea to put the Foundry in Champions Online.

So what are the challenges?
    The Foundry has been a huge success for STO, but CO wasn't created with the Foundry in mind, so how difficult (or impossible) will it be to hook it into the game world? This includes tagging NPCs, objects and mission doors with UGC hooks, but it also includes behind-the-scenes issues like region and radius for programming hooks and chains in the game world. I don't think we, the fans, generally put ourselves in the developers shoes. If you work in the gaming press and if you ever write about Champions Online and interview Cryptic, these would be interesting problems to get answers to.

I bet there will be some big hurdles to surmount, but putting the Foundry in Champions Online is totally worth it--that has nothing to do with CO; putting the Foundry in most MMOs would be worth it. But UGC for a game like Champions Online, with a ton of HERO Games source material and imaginative players to back it up--that will be a giant leap for super-powered MMOs. Yes, please!
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please.
    Yes, please. times infinity.....
  • Options
    acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have another.

Yes please.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vixie91vixie91 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes please!
  • Options
    ravynfallenstarravynfallenstar Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yes please... but if i break it from posting too many adventures... DON'T BLAME ME! lol
  • Options
    canadaciaocanadaciao Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, please.

Please read this, and hear our plea.
  • Options
    typhonustyphonus Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wat.

YES PLEASE
  • Options
    salvadinaesalvadinae Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes please !

Absolutely love to do my own content, and the foundry would be an amazing addition to the game - being able to add even more content to the game through its players would be great.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just another Yes Please posted by me because the game is doomed without it.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know, even if they had to shut the game down for a bit to update the engine and code to get the foundry I would support it. But due to PWE/Cryptic lack of caring about this game, I am not foolish enough to think that a Foundry will be implimented in this game.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At this juncture I would assume that the chance of the Foundry making it to CO is only slightly better than CoX being brought back. Both are desired but highly unlikely events.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    You know, even if they had to shut the game down for a bit to update the engine and code to get the foundry I would support it. But due to PWE/Cryptic lack of caring about this game, I am not foolish enough to think that a Foundry will be implimented in this game.

You keep responding with this same notion, even after giving a "yes please" of your own, and we get it; you've changed your mind and your opinion is duly noted. It's starting to get a bit spammy though.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes yes by all means yes!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    akselmoiakselmoi Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes please.

For some reason I doubt this will help, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It won't.

But, man. Foundry on NW is... sooooo cool. You can make temp quest items, you can easily make maps... I miss CO's character editor for making NPCs, though.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kuramabingyikuramabingyi Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't easily afford it at the moment, but when I do come across the money to throw at Cryptic to implement this system...

YES, PLEASE!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    It won't.

But, man. Foundry on NW is... sooooo cool. You can make temp quest items, you can easily make maps... I miss CO's character editor for making NPCs, though.

It really is great, and so easy to use.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i Love Doofus!!!!!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    i Love Doofus!!!!!

Who doesn't love Doofus?!

Doofus.png
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who doesn't love Doofus?!

Doofus.png

There was me thinking Stormshade had left.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NWO Costume Editor in their Foundry is oodles better than the one in its actual game. What in the actual f*ck. But I can only imagine how great the tools would be in Champions!

I just haven't figured out cut scenes work and how to make your mission relevant in the public instances. But no worries, I may not publish anything at all since that would promote content in game that doesn't need it.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NW's foundry is lacking in one HUGE way, and I'm afraid I'm unable to overlook it!

It's pretty darn skimpy in the spandex, death ray and space pirate department!

P.S. Oh, and in case ya didn't hear me before, Statesman... YES, PLEASE! :cool:
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    zakkaryuuzakkaryuu Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes please, just because I will throw my support in on this.

If it happens woo!

If Not eh xD
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zakkaryuu wrote: »
    Yes please, just because I will throw my support in on this.

If it happens woo!

If Not eh xD

Yes please. But i won't give them a dime. I've already given a lot of money to support CO, but this money went to dev Sto or Nw.
    Then i don't believe that give them more money will serve to CO. They will just use it to dev sto or nw or an another future project.
    But if others people have faith to Cryptic anymore, why not.
  • Options
    mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    foxyperson wrote: »
    "Hmmm. Let me ponder that."

This was Jack Emmert's (Cryptic's CEO) answer when asked whether Cryptic would consider opening a Kickstarter to give us The Foundry as long as we can show him there are at least fifty people interested.

WHAT WE NEED:
    -A minimum of 50 replies saying nothing but "YES, PLEASE" in this thread.

What we DON'T need
    -Naysaying: If you don't care about this initiative or think that anyone contributing is dumb, please refrain from replying at all.
    -Resentment and entitlement feelings: This is about negotiation, not about the way you think things should be. No one is asking whether you're already a Gold subscriber or buy from the C-Store.
    -Rudeness: This thread is meant to be shown to the CEO. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything.

We're addressing the CEO, and we're addressing executives. The bottom line is money, so let's show them we're willing to put our money where out mouths are.

So...

YES, PLEASE!

-Naysaying: If you don't care about this initiative or think that anyone contributing is dumb, please refrain from replying at all.

No Thanks, I think this would take the place of alerts and cause people to make missions that you could get through in 30 seconds and kill 500 mobs in order to level even faster than alerts.

Besides.. unknown to the average player that's been posting here for the last 3 years.. this has come up (I know, try not to faint) more than once. And the answer has been different each time, but the basis has been the same.. for example:

Sorry, we don't have the technology in the current engine
    No
    I'm sorry that's not going to happen
    That's not in our future projects list for this game at this time
    I'm afraid that's not going to happen with the engine we have

etc

-Resentment and entitlement feelings: This is about negotiation, not about the way you think things should be. No one is asking whether you're already a Gold subscriber or buy from the C-Store.

I'm lifetime and represent someone that opens probably more than 50% of the total represented boxes on the server. What does that grant or entitle me to? Absolutely nothing because it's not relevant.

-Rudeness: This thread is meant to be shown to the CEO. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything.

I won't be rude.. what I'll say is this:

The CEO isn't going to come to the boards to read this post. The CM may pass this along paraphrased in a weekly status update to the senior CM who compiles the data from all of the PWE games as far as player feedback and passes it up the chain in the form of a very simple demographic table consisting of at least two parts.

I heartily endorse that we, sometime in the future, find a way to get this to work PROVIDED it isn't abused as I described above.

But, as we've been told numerous times.. this just isn't in the cards for us.

But.. again.. I would like to say (again) that I fully support this initiative and think it would be a great thing to push to the table again just to remind the execs that the CO folks are indeed here and enjoying the game, which is performing within it's spec brackets, and could bring a better revenue curve given an investment of new coding.

And now.. bacon out.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • Options
    lightspeed15lightspeed15 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes Please
  • Options
    deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think we are over 50 replies..guess it was just another chuckle for Emmett.. just like his comment on CoH in that MMO forum..
  • Options
    malcontentmentmalcontentment Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes Please!
    Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a horse. Do you like swords? I saw a rock. Hi.
  • Options
    soryu1983soryu1983 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Please !
  • Options
    seratuhlseratuhl Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes Please!
  • Options
    lawblacklawblack Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't remember if I already say it, so just in case I didn't yet: YES, PLEASE, I'd like a "Foundry" for Champions Online.

Thanks.
    I play with freeforms AND archetypes.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cool NE Foundry things:
    Making custom maps is pretty easy. Drag and drop a hall. It's enclosed. Drag and drop another hall, turn it, put it up against the first, a green glow shows you they connect. Test the map, now a wall segment is gone so the two halls are connected.

Branching dialog. Dialog that modifies itself or other dialog (like you tick off the ambassador and now certain dialog options are gone/open up). Temp quest items. Animation options, so if you want a Halfling that floats like a ghost or acts bestial and twitchy, go ahead.

My bones ache for wanting it on CO.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Please!
  • Options
    evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well there you have it. from 50 responses to over 50 pages.

Sounds like foundry is a good thing. Something that is cool but isnt a farmers playground. Plus maybe we have found a method to convince them to add new content in the future. Kickstarter for new content, show enough people is interested and they get to work on it. Assuming this it works as it seems he only said they will CONSIDER it. Meaning that even with 50 interest it's not a gurantee that it will happen or a straight up, "Get 50 we'll do it" thing.

No I dont think it will change the game but I think it might lead to other things, maybe, might, possible, it can but not automatic meaning it will. But who knows what the future holds besides the people that own, make, and implement things in this game.

ANd amazing, way more than 50 in less than a day. He could have said 100 and it would still already be exceeded.

In short, name a price and I think we can get there no sweat.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well there you have it. from 50 responses to over 50 pages.

Sounds like foundry is a good thing. Something that is cool but isnt a farmers playground. Plus maybe we have found a method to convince them to add new content in the future. Kickstarter for new content, show enough people is interested and they get to work on it. Assuming this it works as it seems he only said they will CONSIDER it. Meaning that even with 50 interest it's not a gurantee that it will happen or a straight up, "Get 50 we'll do it" thing.

No I dont think it will change the game but I think it might lead to other things, maybe, might, possible, it can but not automatic meaning it will. But who knows what the future holds besides the people that own, make, and implement things in this game.

ANd amazing, way more than 50 in less than a day. He could have said 100 and it would still already be exceeded.

In short, name a price and I think we can get there no sweat.

thats the thing we had more then 50 litterly 30 pages ago. and wheres jack? not here why becuase he like anyone in charge has long sence stopped caring about this game or its players.
    could the foundry save this game, i really dont think so. it could help save what players it still has, however like i said before jack and anyone in charge isnt going to make it happen.
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes please
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No thank you.
    Even with Foundry, game has still halfassery made content.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *If* the devs attached meaningful, (but non-exploitable), rewards to play a CO version of the Foundry, then this could be very good for the game.

The key would be to allow players to create custom costumes and builds for the enemies that they chose to populate these user-generated missions with.

If there were meager or no rewards, then no foundry.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What they do in NW is add in a random leveled piece of green gear as the reward.

But honestly. Who does foundry for loot? Do it for the story making.
  • Options
    yasuragi666yasuragi666 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes please! Though I doubt we'll get it no matter how many people say they want it in the game.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the arguments filtered out, by my count we stand at 304 "yes" requests, not counting that vote from Hanging Chad ("Worst Hero Evar").
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the arguments filtered out, by my count we stand at 304 "yes" requests, not counting that vote from Hanging Chad ("Worst Hero Evar").

What about "Super Write-In Candidate"?
  • Options
    dinosaurfacedinosaurface Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013

so you have six times as many people respond as you quoted were needed.

Has anybody even questioned whether the conversation between foxyperson and jack emmert ever even happened? it sounds like delusion in the extreme to me

when has an online petition EVER gotten anything done?
  • Options
    raventhorne999raventhorne999 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Please
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so you have six times as many people respond as you quoted were needed.

Has anybody even questioned whether the conversation between foxyperson and jack emmert ever even happened? it sounds like delusion in the extreme to me

when has an online petition EVER gotten anything done?

First, Jack does have an accessible and active account on FB. Second, anyone who's followed Jack over the years knows that he's made those sorts of off the cuff remarks in the past. Third, Trailturtle has been in this thread and had the means to talk with the dev team about this and had this been a fraud, he could easily have told us "sorry folks, this interaction never happened, we're shutting this thread down". Based on these factors, I have every reason to believe the OP.

And I'm sure at least one or two in the history of the millions of online petitions that have been gathered over the years have come to fruition. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013

We ain't getting it.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited May 2013

We ain't getting it.

We should introduce lore so.............where the f am I?

/self hop reset
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More fun than actually using the Foundry, I think, is thinking of all the possible bugs, glitches, and exploits that such a system would birth in the hands of Umbrella Corp.

Er... I mean Cryptic.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm already /signed this, but I'd like to add that I'm willing to buy an LTS if the Foundry is implemented. I want it that badly for CO.