Install Arc
Options

Cyrone's PFF Q/A Help Thread v2

Comments

• Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    variatas wrote: »
    Does Field Surge scale with PRE or +healing%?

Unless they've changed it Field Surge doesn't scale with anything the PFF restore and bonus protection fields are set values based on what rank of the power you are using. Now protection field power scales with presence (personally I think it should scale with the superstats)
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    *points at Cyrone for using PFF*

Well, did you think about switching to Invul? :]

• Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Does Field Surge scale with PRE or +healing%?

Field Surge only scales with rank. Nothing else.
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    *points at Cyrone for using PFF*

Well, did you think about switching to Invul? :]

I don't even think I have a character with Invuln. :>
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    I agree. Ever since they fixed layering between PFF PF IDF etc. survivability is much improved. I had an impulse just level 17 survive 2 attacks from Grond just by blocking and using protection field to boost the PFF and IDF. Before one attack from him would have destroyed a level 17 PFF user.

Yeah, but they haven't removed/rebalanced Pulson Tech yet, have they? ****ing VIPER.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tdits wrote: »
    Yeah, but they haven't removed/rebalanced Pulson Tech yet, have they? ****ing VIPER.

My skirmishes with VIPER start with the Brickbusters then blasting henchmen into oblivion and finishing up with Squad Leaders. Also, I've only seen the Pulson Tech in Serpent Lantern.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    My skirmishes with VIPER start with the Brickbusters then blasting henchmen into oblivion and finishing up with Squad Leaders. Also, I've only seen the Pulson Tech in Serpent Lantern.

Ditto. I either start with containing Brickbusters or shadow striking them then blast through VIPER. Pulson Tech is on MI as well as SL, the henchmen use it in the andrithal area of MI.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Field Surge only scales with rank. Nothing else.

Wait.. what? you're sure?! Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Wait.. what? you're sure?! Thanks for the info.

Well, it may have some increases to the overshield portion from Compassion, Overseer and Arbiter. I honestly don't know as I don't use any of those specs or that power. I'll get a test done on it to be sure.

Edit:

Just finished my tests. While Field Surge's built in scaling is only with rank the shield specs from Arbiter and Overseer as well as Compassion all increase the Absorb amount *only*. They do nothing for the amount that is restored to PFF itself.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That's what I thought. I have a friend's build that I helped them with. I gave them this AD because of it's Compassion Synergy.

TY for clarification (not for me, but for a guildie)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...My Sig :3

Actual Strength: 8.712 :biggrin:

Ah, but can't you tank with it? :P
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ah, but can't you tank with it? :P

>_>

<_<

<_>

Maybe...

LoL, I still need to work on getting a Masterful Dodge AD into my build! Q_Q..I think I might drop my AO for it or something....
  • Options
    cyraxiscyraxis Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is just a concept but what about stacking cooldown reduction?

Field surge has a 1:30 Second cooldown.

I made a pretty good primary utility that had roughly 250 cooldown reduction (Impact prism + innate stats of gear) and the cooldown was just one minute.

According to: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Intelligence
    1 point of INT accelerates recharge by 0.15%

so for 60 seconds 1 point of intelligence will decrease the cooldown by 0.9 seconds. which totals up to 27 seconds if we had 300 Intelligence (an easy feat if primary if secondary you could still manage a high amount)

So that is a 33 second cooldown for Field surge now and if you wanted to pick up nanobot swarm its even more chipped off.

With that you could throw down field surge very quickly and if you use your gear right (dodge and avoidance gear) with some good healing like chi resurgence and Ascension to boost healing then you would be able to hold your own when the shields are down. (I understand masterful dodge is viable but note thats an automatic 30 seconds for all active defenses which is why Nanobot Swarm is vital to this)

However my primary is DEX and the idea behind that is to take the enemy down quickly (2 Gun mojo build) giving them less opportunity to harm my shields. This is still a work in progress for my toon but it sounds viable.

*Also* my current build has about 500 dex as I have neglected my secondary super stats (rec & ego) but my shields are still tough at 7K roughly.

Your thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    cyraxis wrote: »

Field surge has a 1:30 Second cooldown.

I made a pretty good primary utility that had roughly 250 cooldown reduction (Impact prism + innate stats of gear) and the cooldown was just one minute.

According to: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Intelligence
    1 point of INT accelerates recharge by 0.15%

so for 60 seconds 1 point of intelligence will decrease the cooldown by 0.9 seconds. which totals up to 27 seconds if we had 300 Intelligence (an easy feat if primary if secondary you could still manage a high amount)

So that is a 33 second cooldown for Field surge now and if you wanted to pick up nanobot swarm its even more chipped off.

With that you could throw down field surge very quickly and if you use your gear right (dodge and avoidance gear) with some good healing like chi resurgence and Ascension to boost healing then you would be able to hold your own when the shields are down. (I understand masterful dodge is viable but note thats an automatic 30 seconds for all active defenses which is why Nanobot Swarm is vital to this)

However my primary is DEX and the idea behind that is to take the enemy down quickly (2 Gun mojo build) giving them less opportunity to harm my shields. This is still a work in progress for my toon but it sounds viable.

*Also* my current build has about 500 dex as I have neglected my secondary super stats (rec & ego) but my shields are still tough at 7K roughly.

Your thoughts?

*Assumes this is just a non Force PFF build*

DEX primary is great for dodge/avoid, I'd recommend picking that spec up asap as it helps loads with PFF..

Your shield number 7K sounds yummy too. Try to support that heavily with defense(minor support) and dodge/avoidance mechanic (major support).

My toon is a little different, she uses all Force Attacks and has no Active Offensive and currently stands at 8.7k PFF, with 41/70 dodge/avoid, and she has a few tricks to buff it up. I use Ego Primary with INT and Rec, its fun to duel other shielders...for various reasons >:3.

Nanobot swarm's CD redux is broken atm. So just be warned, but yes it is still useful.

I find that using MD first with PFF works like a charm then using FS if all is failing hard...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    cyraxis wrote: »

Protogen, my PFF tank, has 35 second cooldown on Field Surge, Masterful Dodge and Lock 'n Load.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A quote from a seasoned PvP lies within my grasp!!

It's about mah PFF :3 (prolly nothing compared to Protogen but I am proud :3):biggrin:
  • Options
    lordwolfylordwolfy Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cyrone, was looking at your PFF tank duel pistol Protogen build and was wondering what you would suggest be different if you wanted to go with a more DPS build instead of a tank? I like the idea of being able to pump out decent damage but at the same time be survivable in Alerts for the times when the big bad guy wants to wail on YOU! Any suggestions?
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    waiting for cyrone to use IDF >)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    lordwolfy wrote: »
    Cyrone, was looking at your PFF tank duel pistol Protogen build and was wondering what you would suggest be different if you wanted to go with a more DPS build instead of a tank? I like the idea of being able to pump out decent damage but at the same time be survivable in Alerts for the times when the big bad guy wants to wail on YOU! Any suggestions?

Just remove the Challenging Strikes and Crippling Challenge. Four more advantage points to toss around to your liking and you should be able to run it in the manner of which you're asking.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Cyrone, have been going through with the build so far and its pretty nice. The only downsides being energy management and lack of AoE's. Not sure how you get that one frontal AoE to matter considering that most (if not all) the attacks are to the range of 50ft. Still its working good despite those factors.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    lordwolfy wrote: »
    Thanks Cyrone, have been going through with the build so far and its pretty nice. The only downsides being energy management and lack of AoE's. Not sure how you get that one frontal AoE to matter considering that most (if not all) the attacks are to the range of 50ft. Still its working good despite those factors.

That's what I have Mighty Leap in the build for. Fast recharge for MSA and gets you back into the fight quickly after using Evasive Maneuvers or Breakaway Shot. As for AoE, you only really need Lead Tempest with a dual pistol build. Also, you don't have to follow the build exact. I just threw things together in a somewhat sensible manner.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That's what I have Mighty Leap in the build for. Fast recharge for MSA and gets you back into the fight quickly after using Evasive Maneuvers or Breakaway Shot. As for AoE, you only really need Lead Tempest with a dual pistol build. Also, you don't have to follow the build exact. I just threw things together in a somewhat sensible manner.

Yeah I noticed you cant follow the build exactly since you cant get lead tempest at lvl 17 as you have it. :) Still it is a fun build to play. I did however change INT to Rec for my purposes and it seems to be doing a bit better. With the amount of gear that has cost discount on it I find I really dont need INT all the much.
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Anyone who says PFF is no good needs to get his head checked. There is a PFF duelist now and he could easily do very well in hero games. He could have killed me too if I wasn't careful.

This should motivate everyone who's still interested in PFF to give it another try.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Anyone who says PFF is no good needs to get his head checked. There is a PFF duelist now and he could easily do very well in hero games. He could have killed me too if I wasn't careful.

This should motivate everyone who's still interested in PFF to give it another try.

I agree it is a viable def. passive now..still needs a few more tweaks I think but as it is, it certainly is better then what it was by leaps and bounds!
  • Options
    variatasvariatas Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm looking at trying out your Protogen build, and I was wondering how important you rate Evasion and Quick Reflexes. Would dropping QR for the crit severity spec still work?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm looking at trying out your Protogen build, and I was wondering how important you rate Evasion and Quick Reflexes. Would dropping QR for the crit severity spec still work?

It would work. I take the specs I have because I tank with Protogen. Taking the crit specs would only make the defensiveness of the build marginally weaker while giving you a stronger Offense.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With R8s and marginal gimping of self, I was able to make my Shield hit 13.5k.

If anyone wants evidences, they can screenshot me with it. Partially because I'm lazy, and partially because I have no idea how to take screenshots.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    With R8s and marginal gimping of self, I was able to make my Shield hit 13.5k.

If anyone wants evidences, they can screenshot me with it. Partially because I'm lazy, and partially because I have no idea how to take screenshots.

What specs were you using? Which Stats?

Because there are certain specs which I can use to make my current 8.7k to 9k, but I've never done single stat to super boost PFF, I'd feel as if I'd be gimping myself.

Press print screen on steam or something then link it.

I'm genuinely intrested in what you did to get it that high.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    What specs were you using? Which Stats?

Because there are certain specs which I can use to make my current 8.7k to 9k, but I've never done single stat to super boost PFF, I'd feel as if I'd be gimping myself.

Press print screen on steam or something then link it.

I'm genuinely intrested in what you did to get it that high.

Sure, I'll give all my stats and spec choices.

Specs:
    Presence:
    Granduer(3/3)
    Repurpose(3/3)
    Force of Will (2/2)
    Moment of Glory(2/3)
    Sentinel:
    Caregiver(2/3)
    Sentinel Aura(3/3)
    Genesis(2/2)
    Rejuvenated(3/3)
    Sentry:
    Sentry Aura(3/3)
    Precise(3/3)
    Twist Fate(1/2)
    Fortified Gear(3/3)
    Presence Mastery.

PFF- Grants 6,769 alone.
    Protection Field- 2,108
    Mindful Reinforcement- 1,386
    Field Surge- 2,977
    Force Bolt's advantage- 435
    This adds up to 13,675, exactly my top value for shielding.

Note that this is not optimized at all: as Compassion could have been used, Nimbus of Force pentastacked, I could have been buffed by AoPM by a friend, I could have had R9s, I could have taken MR to R3 instead of R1.

For stats, I noted that no stats actually mattered, and thus used my leftover PvP gear on PTS, I have 351 CON, 224 INT, and 102 PRE.

Screenshot.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sure, I'll give all my stats and spec choices.

Specs:
    Presence:
    Granduer(3/3)
    Repurpose(3/3)
    Force of Will (2/2)
    Moment of Glory(2/3)
    Sentinel:
    Caregiver(2/3)
    Sentinel Aura(3/3)
    Genesis(2/2)
    Rejuvenated(3/3)
    Sentry:
    Sentry Aura(3/3)
    Precise(3/3)
    Twist Fate(1/2)
    Fortified Gear(3/3)
    Presence Mastery.

PFF- Grants 6,769 alone.
    Protection Field- 2,108
    Mindful Reinforcement- 1,386
    Field Surge- 2,977
    Force Bolt's advantage- 435
    This adds up to 13,675, exactly my top value for shielding.

Note that this is not optimized at all: as Compassion could have been used, Nimbus of Force pentastacked, I could have been buffed by AoPM by a friend, I could have had R9s, I could have taken MR to R3 instead of R1.

For stats, I noted that no stats actually mattered, and thus used my leftover PvP gear on PTS, I have 351 CON, 224 INT, and 102 PRE.

Screenshot.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

OH!!!

Wow, you really had me going there for a second, I was under the impression you had managed to make PFF ALONE 13.5k, that's what I was psyched to hear xD

No matter though xD

My Shield Stacking goes as follows:

Personal Force Field: 8.713 alone
    Field Surge: 4.672
    Protection Field: 1.903
    Energy Refraction Shield:439 (although I noticed the shield numbers did vary per proc to an extent)

Total Shield Stacking: 15.5 - 15.7k

I use Concentration Form, so not exactly optimised for shielding, I've been able to achieve 22k total shield stacking with AoPM from a friend and an Mindful Reinforcement bubble.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    OH.

I was so very confused about how I beat your record without much effort at all.

This essplains everything now..
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    OH.

I was so very confused about how I beat your record without much effort at all.

This essplains everything now..

Yeah, Raven's PFF shield is rediculous. That total is before outside shielding. I've got about 8.1k on my tank character and he survives better than Raven's 8.7k. :cool:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, Raven's PFF shield is rediculous. That total is before outside shielding. I've got about 8.1k on my tank character and he survives better than Raven's 8.7k. :cool:

AHEM! I'll have you know I did some upgrades...and now I can tank Warlord and survive reasonably well..so long as luck is in my grasp.

But..its true, being Dex Primary and having your 8.1k shield..does make you have crazy dodge/avoid levels, so even though my survival is good, yours is insane xD

Also..I found something strange recently...

Gravitar hit me for around 94k with Yellow Bubble, PFF only took 6.8k...and the rest of the damage..vanished O_o?

I managed to survive it with around 3.9k HP remaining as I took about 1k dmg from it, but I was a bit stumped as to where the remaining damage bleed off too..I should really have taken 9k from it and 8k of it vanished...

Not sure what was going on there...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If you had Field Surge active, that's where the rest of the damage went.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    you said I could get 7k pff with rank 5s. I'm using nearly all rank7s and still nowhere near 8k.
    HOW!?? :mad::mad:

Growth gear/mods and secondaries that match your superstats.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    you said I could get 7k pff with rank 5s. I'm using nearly all rank7s and still nowhere near 8k.
    HOW!?? :mad::mad:

I told you that since your regen is so high (768) you'll be fine PFF wise. You've managed to get 7k PFF which you said was your goal, why now are you going for 8k?

Growth/mods along with secondaries which match ur SS should bring you up to 8K, I dont use vigilante gear, fyi
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Assuming one was fully statted only to heal others in specializations and stuff, what is the maximum bubble amount that can be given through the two bubbles? Either tell me highest theoretical or highest you've seen in an estimation. Specifics aren't as needed.

I wanna know how high I can theoretically get max combined HP+shielding with teammates, basically.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Assuming one was fully statted only to heal others in specializations and stuff, what is the maximum bubble amount that can be given through the two bubbles? Either tell me highest theoretical or highest you've seen in an estimation. Specifics aren't as needed.

I wanna know how high I can theoretically get max combined HP+shielding with teammates, basically.

I've hit around 22k shields from my PFF, AoPM, Field Surge, Protection Field and Mindful Reinforcement.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Highest I've seen on myself without PFF included was 19k from MR and PF.

Highest I've ever casted was 21k bubbles with 8 stacks of compassion and lots of bonus healing mods oh and a truckload of PRE.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    21k bubbles? really? ok how then, I'm VERY interested to know since I have a bubble casting healer. thnx in advance :biggrin:

be warned

I was using AoPM, single statted PRE and all bonus healing and I was affected by another AoPM.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Just wanted to drop in here to say I'll be working on more builds that use PFF once I return to the game.

*edit*
    Of course I jack up my avatar at a time where I don't have a way to fix it....
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    put legion gear up for 50-60 SCR. reduce the brickbuster effect on PFF, buff regen slightly, and then anyone can be a decent pff user :rolleyes:

Rather stack dodge/avoidance, eliminate Pulson Tech, make PFF to have a utility which is innate to increase its sturdyness, combine with IDF for monster PFF.

Besides without legion gear PFF can be just as effective.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Rather stack dodge/avoidance, eliminate Pulson Tech, make PFF to have a utility which is innate to increase its sturdyness, combine with IDF for monster PFF.

Besides without legion gear PFF can be just as effective.

PFF is fine now. Pulson tech gives a challenge. :biggrin:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013

V_V

FYI, you can die with 100% PFF active, hurhurhurhur. I've been killed that way by VIPER too many times.

Pulson needs to be tempered down, I dont like feeling "nerfed" vs Pulson Tech, or if it has to have defense penetration values make it work properly with PFF, instead of flat out inverting it.

At least Make IDF a proper form power with stacking absorb everytime you or your allies are hit with a damaging power, in my ideal world it would add XX absorb per stack and grant XX% increase to damage which scaled with END/EGO whichever was higher.

I'd swap out Conc for that IDF any day.

Oh and don't you dare say Energy Storm gives a challenge either xD

Cause dat is just plain ruuude :p
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Were you here when CO had the 3 damage types? Parnormal, Physical and Energy? Back when paranormal (telepathy) powers didn't work on robots.. I loved those days.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Were you here when CO had the 3 damage types? Parnormal, Physical and Energy? Back when paranormal (telepathy) powers didn't work on robots.. I loved those days.

Haha, Resistance would have been a telepaths worst nightmare xD

NOTHING I DO IS WORKING! Q_Q

I still feel to some extent that should apply, but then I think about how difficult it would be..and I am thankful it isnt like that.