Install Arc
Options

How goes the meeting?

2»

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And now that the future is bright again, i hope we will see more of these Mega Events.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I think TT is very cool and really appreciate his good vibes and efforts.

However...

No, we are not. We're seeing more promises and very sporadic, ornamental development.

I don't care about carrier defense or Lemurian Leviathan. Talk to me in a few months.

So you want us to lie to people?

Look, I'll give CO the same kind of support that CO has given me -- 'I really like you and I'm sending you vibes and I'm going to get around to paying for stuff someday. But I have other projects that really need my money, I'm sure you understand.'

And i will get "You" and your little dog too? Eeeee heeeeee heeeee!
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry if pragmatism and not being willfully blind is seen as 'flooding the forum with negativity.'

I'm still on the forum because I hope things change. I hope that, some day, Cryptic's well-wishes actually translates to action. I hope that the success of Neverwinter will spill over and PWE will consider gambling on reviving Champions Online.

That doesn't mean I have to act like a chump, though.

Amen!

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As I've said before, this game is never going to be supported to the extent that I'd like, and that's something I'll live with. I do hope we can get a Foundry at some point, I do want to see some support and investment made in it, and if it's no longer becomes profitable to do so, please tell me. Communicating with the player base is not always fun, but it's still essential.

Also, if I ever quit this game (or any other sub-A level title) and I feel the need to return to post on the official forums and insult those players who are still enjoying themselves or who still have hope of development even after I have lost all faith, please slap me. There are more important things than being "right" and speaking "truth", especially when "right" and "truth" are often a cover for craven displays of ego. I should hope to have better and more positive things to do with my time than that.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also, if I ever quit this game (or any other sub-A level title) and I feel the need to return to post on the official forums and insult those players who are still enjoying themselves or who still have hope of development even after I have lost all faith, please slap me. There are more important things than being "right" and speaking "truth", especially when "right" and "truth" are often a cover for craven displays of ego. I should hope to have better and more positive things to do with my time than that.

oh-snap.jpg
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    oh-snap.jpg

I said, *if* I ever quit the game. No preemptive slapping. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can I get an amen, brothers and sisters? Yeah!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, let's back it up.

Wesley specifically addressed other forum folks and said 'your concerns are unwarranted, see, everything is cool.'

I addressed his points and stated my disagreement, and some of why I disagree.

For that I'm an intrusive monster sh*ing up the forums?

Look, if you don't want people to disagree with you, don't address them.

I've said, frequently, that I agree with some stuff (like Alerts), disagree with others (vehicles, dudes, really?), and would knife a hobo for CO Foundry (I find it so hard to even do anything in STO Foundry because I keep sighing loudly and looking over at Champions).

But there's a pattern of stuff not happening. I'll be happy to sing Cryptic's praises if that changes, and I hope it does.

Is that really being a pessimistic dirtbag?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We asked for more communication. Did we get it?

Actually nevermind. No other company acts like this and keeps customers. Enjoy your Stockholm experience.

I kind of feel like, compared to the long time of absoloutely nothing... lately TrailTurtle has been trying to create a line of communication. I kind of get the feeling that it's not just a matter of him walking over to the devs, asking stuff, and then bringing it to us... in fact if what I know of programmers and artists holds true, it's probably a lot like pulling teeth... and then you have to verify that what you actually got was a tooth.

So no, we may not have the open line of communication we want just yet... but we do have effort... one brave hero, named TrailTurtle, tenaciously fighting the forces of darkness. I'm putting my faith in him, he seems strong and manly.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I found this a very eye-opening and soul-searching article. It's relationship to the topic should be obvious about halfway through:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, let's back it up.

Wesley specifically addressed other forum folks and said 'your concerns are unwarranted, see, everything is cool.'

I've said, frequently, that I agree with some stuff (like Alerts), disagree with others (vehicles, dudes, really?), and would knife a hobo for CO Foundry (I find it so hard to even do anything in STO Foundry because I keep sighing loudly and looking over at Champions).

But there's a pattern of stuff not happening. I'll be happy to sing Cryptic's praises if that changes, and I hope it does.

Not anymore, no.
    Just a lint bag now. I hear and understand what you're saying. Without the venom, it's easier to be objective. But, the knife a hobo comment...it's not that serious. Right?

Maybe a Kardashian...but a Hobo? C'mon. They might smell a bit, but what has one ever done to you? Or do you have something you would like to talk about?

Hmmm
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hobos ate my parents.

sob

• Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    So no, we may not have the open line of communication we want just yet... but we do have effort... one brave hero, named TrailTurtle, tenaciously fighting the forces of darkness. I'm putting my faith in him, he seems strong and manly.

I put my faith in Blast Hardcheese.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I will also note that I'm REALLY positive about the fact that the CO Devs actually pay attention to test server feedback, which is in stark contrast to STO.

STO might get a lot more attention and resources, but their QA process... hoo boy.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=210211

I think someones really need to start listening....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As I've said before, this game is never going to be supported to the extent that I'd like, and that's something I'll live with. I do hope we can get a Foundry at some point, I do want to see some support and investment made in it, and if it's no longer becomes profitable to do so, please tell me. Communicating with the player base is not always fun, but it's still essential.

So, that was probably the best comment in the history of this forum. Amen!
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think some of you take these foruns (and the game) too seriously.

It takes me under 15 seconds to digest posts and less than 2 minutes total to reply.

I find it absolutely humorous that some of you ascribe mental illness to people bassed on a post.

I just wanted to share that. If you think I am referijg to you, I probably am.

Looking forward to future announcements.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, let's back it up.

Woahh.... rein your horses. At no point did I ever said that your's or any others' concerns are not warranted. I said there is progress in content and the meeting did go down. It may not be the level of your satisfaction but it is a bit of improvement and my point is in celebrating small successes but we hope to see more.
  • Options
    notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What happens to our line of communication when TT gets moved off CO? Who picks up the torch?

Here's a thread with Emmert promising better communication from a while back:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=99350
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What happens to our line of communication when TT gets moved off CO? Who picks up the torch?

Here's a thread with Emmert promising better communication from a while back:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=99350

I could fill a 30 post thread full of promises broken
  • Options
    sophiallriandrisophiallriandri Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I found this a very eye-opening and soul-searching article. It's relationship to the topic should be obvious about halfway through:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

Thank you.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So a buncha guys are planning and setting out a system in which allows them to communicate better with us and interact more with us.

Its called a Forum. Its not some complex machine! Its a ####ing forum!

REPLY BUTTON is right down there V

if you need me to create a user guide on how to use the forum...you shouldnt be a game developer. You dont need meetings, you dont need to create top secret plans and strategies on HOW to click the reply button, the reply button is incapable of launching counter attacks or deflecting your mouse clicks, all you need to do is left click the button that says "Reply" and type "I exist, and i am doing X task right now" into the white box.

After 10 months of being AWOL my imagination is running wild with whats going on there in the studio...i can see bins and desks completely cluttered full of McDonalds and toilets full of ginormous craps. Which right now, kinda feels like our money has gone.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    all you need to do is left click the button that says "Reply" and type "I exist, and i am doing X task right now" into the white box.

The problem with that is that many studios have non-disclosure clauses in their contracts, and posting "I am doing X task" without permission could get them fired. In order to resist the temptation to tell us about all the awesome things that are planned, both to avoid termination for violating non-disclosure and to avoid the rage of "hey guys, remember that super cool thing we were working on? Well, it doesn't work the way we expected, and making it work would cost more resources than the studio is willing to pay, so... it's canceled. ", many devs will just avoid outing themselves publicly.

That's why we have people like TrailTurtle. He knows what can and cannot be discussed and revealed. He is also the one to carry the target when the slings start to fly.

Anyone who played City of Heroes: Remember Issue 13? Castle was talking PVP changes and improvements with people for a while, then he started the changes, then NCSoft said "Hey, nobody pays for PVP. Go make new powersets that we can sell." Because he had talked with us, HE was the one blamed for ruining PVP, and was instantly a pariah. Eventually he quit.

Do we want to do that here? Some dev shows up and tells us all the awesome things they're working on, PWE pulls the plug, the forums attack the dev who couldn't follow through, through no fault of their own, the dev resigns, and maybe gets replaced by someone who doesn't know the codebase, so can't produce content nearly as fast - if they get replaced at all.

Let the team do their jobs. The devs' job is to make the game, not talk to you. That's TT's job.
    edited February 2013
    Let the team do their jobs. The devs' job is to make the game, not talk to you. That's TT's job.
    There's an awful lot of space between "full disclosure" and "silent" -- it's not an either / or proposition.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some dev shows up and tells us all the awesome things they're working on, PWE pulls the plug,...

I don't need the specifics of what they are working upon, I want to know that they are working...

on Champions Online.

Right now, the silence is deafening.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A new, overdue SotG would be nice.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They aren't saying anything because they either aren't working on something or they have something big along the lines of the next cash in that is on par with Vehicles.

I'd certainly like an update that doesn't require pay to play and is used to encourage keeping the players subscribed.

What comes after the Harbinger and Vehicles? I'd certainly hope its the Lair and Nemesis reviews. Maybe Sidekicks or at least Auras.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    HAHAHA.. I swear I thought I made this thread last night drunk

That could explain a lot of your aggression issues and erratic posts.
    Maybe less CO more AA.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So... if the meeting happened..

Why is there YET no dev update?
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    So... if the meeting happened..

Why is there YET no dev update?

It's taking Cryptic as long to figure out how to tell us good news as it takes most people to find the least painful way to break bad news. I'm equally frightened and amazed by this.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    kinster2kinster2 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    our chinese overlords are probably making them commit suicide to preserve there honor

that or the devs that speak has been replaced by mutes
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kinster2 wrote: »
    our chinese overlords are probably making them commit suicide to preserve there honor

that or the devs that speak has been replaced by mutes

You're thinking of the Japanese samurai.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's taking Cryptic as long to figure out how to tell us good news as it takes most people to find the least painful way to break bad news. I'm equally frightened and amazed by this.

Or, another possibility, just to bring it to the table... they had the meeting, and after a half hour of awkward silence, realized they had nothing to tell us. Now they're just waiting for us to get the hint.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

P.S. I had the meeting with the dev team and it went really well. We came up with a couple good ideas and hashed out how we could release them in a way that made sense. There were a couple ideas that we looked at and shot down because of infeasibility, but a majority of them were tentatively greenlit. The next step for this is on me.
    smoochan wrote: »

Or, another possibility, just to bring it to the table... they had the meeting, and after a half hour of awkward silence, realized they had nothing to tell us. Now they're just waiting for us to get the hint.
    Re-reading what was written, "A couple of good ideas" doesn't sound very "epic" or "state of the game-y".. but what was the reason for the meeting if not to give information to the players?

How valid is the information weeks later?

Also "a couple ideas" sounds like small change. Brainstorms with 10 or more people usually have more than "a couple ideas". So don't expect anything epic.. it's likely still 1.5 devs are on Champions-Online
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also, unless I'm mistaken about TT's duties, the fact that the next step is on him suggests that this is ENTIRELY about 'gathering information and communication' rather than, you know, any actual development.

Which is cool, we definitely need much better communication. So that's nice.

Just don't run away with it into hoping for deep substantive game development -- I doubt that's even on the crystal ball until PWE sees how NW pans out.