test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How goes the meeting?

sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Just checking in to see how things were going with The Meeting. I read this article on Polygon about Neverwinter, and was reminded by a few "O RLY?" points made by Andy Velasquez.
Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Guardian Fighter wades into fights fearlessly, capable of actively blocking otherwise devastating attacks with a well-timed press of the shift key ? a seemingly obvious choice, but one that Velasquez said was a breakthrough for the dev team.

Blocking with Shift key? Who ever heard of that?
    'Well, what do my players want? What are they looking to buy? What is really going to piss them off?'
    So, i guess they were/are studying this in CO.

Or, is it just me...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    broadnaxbroadnax Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If I were interested in console-like controller combat, I might have considered playing DCUO instead of CO (there were other things that turned me off on DCUO, but combat was at the top of the list). I've never been fond of "fighter" style combat.

So it looks like NWO is not likely to catch my interest. Pity. I was looking forward to playing with their Foundry.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2013
    Simply put, when the players can leave your game without hesitating because of a lack of financial investment, it means developers have to focus all their energy into making the game as compelling as it can possibly be.

*looks at this gorgeously rich, new, challenging and amazing content recently added to the Champions Online*

But in terms of releasing new content, figuring out what to offer as microtransaction options, it's a lot of, 'Well, what do my players want? What are they looking to buy? What is really going to piss them off?'

*looks at how long wanted vehicles were introduced*

I'm sorry, I think that Cryptic hypocrisy has just damaged my brain.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys, give the guy a break. He obviously doesn't even know Champions exists.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Velasquez -
    "...but one of the things I think Cryptic is really good at is listening to our players post-launch and providing them updates that really make sense ... "

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

:confused:

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So we now know that at least some of Neverwinter will take place in the cave in the Burnside Cemetery......
    Also, we will have access to Scarnes' Bane.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Posted a comment in the section for balance in reviews. Used some of your guys' language, hope you dont mind.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2013

i say do both
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys, give the guy a break. He obviously doesn't even know Champions exists.

Where the heck's the Like button...
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,081 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now, if you actually do want to know how The Meeting went, there's a thread TT started in Super News Network, regarding the delay of the last segment of the Lemurian mission so they can tweak it some more, and a postscript with maddeningly vague hints about what TT managed to get greenlit for us...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry, I think that Cryptic hypocrisy has just damaged my brain.

Actually, it kind of just makes me pissed off when somebody lies to our faces like that.

Isn't denial just lovely?

/sarcasm

(aka. I agree with your implied message here Smackwell)

Velasquez wrote:
    "...but one of the things I think Cryptic is really good at is listening to our players post-launch and providing them updates that really make sense ... "

How about we go over and storm the NWO forums with what we really think about those lies?

You think enough of y'all would be tired of listening to this BS and take action!

:mad:

Not only do they not listen to the customers, when they do decide to listen they have a history of over-nerfing stuff. They don't run regular research-quality polls to get user opinions. I could cite examples until I explode (and not just in Champions either).
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    HAHAHA.. I swear I thought I made this thread last night drunk when I saw it. Had to retrace my steps
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I was listening to a NW podcast that interviewed a few Cryptic employees; found here:

http://neverwinteronlinecrossroadsshow.com/blog/

At about the 60:21 mark they discuss freeforms in NW. Velasquez's tone and word choice, while speaking about CO, comes across to me as though the game has run its course.

"... that game was all about offering limitless possibilities."

Maybe how I interpret what he's saying isn't what he's intending. But listening to the whole podcast and hearing them repeat the 'players will decide the future of our games' does hint of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    ... and a postscript with maddeningly vague hints about what TT managed to get greenlit for us...

Yup. A big part of the meeting was about communication plans and setting out how we're going to open up and talk more with players. We have a template now, but we need to sit down and block out timelines and plots before we can start talking about specifics. Almost there, folks, but I promise you that some very, very good stuff came out of that meeting. :X
  • Options
    heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yup. A big part of the meeting was about communication plans and setting out how we're going to open up and talk more with players. We have a template now, but we need to sit down and block out timelines and plots before we can start talking about specifics. Almost there, folks, but I promise you that some very, very good stuff came out of that meeting. :X

So the Champions Online Costume viewer and creator for iPhone and Android are actually coming?

I KNEW IT!!!

/happydance!!

Yeah...I know...I can dream can't I?
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was listening to a NW podcast that interviewed a few Cryptic employees; found here:

http://neverwinteronlinecrossroadsshow.com/blog/

At about the 60:21 mark they discuss freeforms in NW. Velasquez's tone and word choice, while speaking about CO, comes across to me as though the game has run its course.

"... that game was all about offering limitless possibilities."

Maybe how I interpret what he's saying isn't what he's intending. But listening to the whole podcast and hearing them repeat the 'players will decide the future of our games' does hint of hypocrisy.

It was mainly just a joke.

The part you quoted, he sounds like he's talking from a design perspective. As the game isn't in the design stages anymore, it's past tense.

Edit: Man, that's a hard podcast to listen to. Someone's a heavy breather in there.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Almost there, folks, but I promise you that some very, very good stuff came out of that meeting. :X

I'll belive that when I get to see it. Maybe.
  • Options
    lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for the update Trailturtle.
    I do have a questions though...if you can't reply i understand (Somewhat) after the meeting, in your opinion, will CO still be around after 6 months to a year from now?

Are they planning on giving us more content other than alerts?
    Do they plan on adding more devs to CO?

Any info would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was mainly just a joke.

The part you quoted, he sounds like he's talking from a design perspective. As the game isn't in the design stages anymore, it's past tense.

Edit: Man, that's a hard podcast to listen to. Someone's a heavy breather in there.

I'm sure you're right regarding the past tense of his statement. It just jumped out at me when I was listening initially. Maybe I'm just looking/listening for omissions.

Also it's good to hear things went well TT. Glad communication was addressed.

Edit: and yes the breathing is pretty disturbing :eek:
  • Options
    caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll belive that when I get to see it. Maybe.

This, right here. Man, does this forum EVER need some "like" buttons. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I'm glad to hear that good progress is being made. It still kinda bothers me, however, that a PWE community rep seems to be the driving force here, not Brad Stokan. (Not that I don't appreciate your initiative, TT, but the org chart is the org chart.) So my next question would be this:

Will Stokeman be giving us a State of The Game in the immediate future as part of this communication plan?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Thanks for keeping us updated....but I will believe it when it's more permanent than what it is now. (Nothing against you TT, it's just how I feel at the moment.)
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, now to hope for good and wait.
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I would like to feel optimistic about this. I really would.

But I cannot get past the fact that the response to a meeting about communicating better with players, is to not tell players anything specific about the meeting.

That's... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    txhawk wrote: »
    I would like to feel optimistic about this. I really would.

But I cannot get past the fact that the response to a meeting about communicating better with players, is to not tell players anything specific about the meeting.

That's... not exactly giving me the warm fuzzies.

That's a feeling I understand, though I hope you also understand my own position -- we have plans we're putting in place, but we have to do some leg work before they can start happening. In the short term, here's what I can talk about, though:

1) The full list of changes to the Lemurian Invasion mission, and to the Bleak Harbinger boss fight in particular, will be posted tomorrow when the build goes on PTS. The dev team is working feverishly on a few changes, so the list is in flux until then. [If the Lemurian Tank issue with distance isn't resolved in that build, rest assured, it'll be fixed by the time it goes live.]

2) One of the pieces of feedback that the devs heard about the Lemurian Invasion mission was that the rewards need to be looked at. One of the changes is this li'l guy, with a hero nearby for scale.

BleakHarbinger.png
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ...Oh my god yes...

Does this mean we get an Iris Irregular one soon too?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...Oh my god yes...

Does this mean we get an Iris Irregular one soon too?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well.

Maybe if we can prove she has enough worshippers, She will grace us with Her diminutive presence. :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well.

Maybe if we can prove she has enough worshippers, She will grace us with Her diminutive presence. :wink:

...I will make an Iris costume for Tessin.

TO THE TAILOR!
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2013
    Trailturtle, do you realise how invaluable you are for this community? No, really. It's not a joke.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmmmmmmmmm.

Well.

If THIS is what it takes, Flare should have an AF. I can count off quite a few who would enjoy one.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If THIS is what it takes, Flare should have an AF. I can count off quite a few who would enjoy one.

Prime would like her Flare AF to be life-sized. And she's going to void its warranty as soon as she gets it home.
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's a feeling I understand, though I hope you also understand my own position -- we have plans we're putting in place, but we have to do some leg work before they can start happening. In the short term, here's what I can talk about, though:

1) The full list of changes to the Lemurian Invasion mission, and to the Bleak Harbinger boss fight in particular, will be posted tomorrow when the build goes on PTS. The dev team is working feverishly on a few changes, so the list is in flux until then. [If the Lemurian Tank issue with distance isn't resolved in that build, rest assured, it'll be fixed by the time it goes live.]

2) One of the pieces of feedback that the devs heard about the Lemurian Invasion mission was that the rewards need to be looked at. One of the changes is this li'l guy, with a hero nearby for scale.

BleakHarbinger.png

TT, it is really, really good news that the devs are taking so many of the feedback into account for tweaking the mission. The AF for the Leviathan is definitely going to intrique some players. However, we should also have something for players who are not into AFs. Costumes/gear/mods etc but make them really rare.

Also tweak the carrier defense rewards. It has too little mileage for the effort to make it and deserves much more gameplay time. I sure would not mind a carrier AF.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also tweak the carrier defense rewards. It has too little mileage for the effort to make it and deserves much more gameplay time. I sure would not mind a carrier AF.

I'll poke around at that -- I do kinda like the idea of a carrier AF.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All the 'Big Missions' should have alternative rewards. AF's, Gear, Mod Packs (and pls, no 5 pieces of R1's... reason why the Sky Command queue is empty..), costumes and stuff, as a list where player can pick what he wants, so future runs have some kind of goal. Ofcourse the AF's and costumes should be BoPs.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Blah Blah Blah.. Where's the telepathy /rude
    Seriously.. hold review? Telepathy? it was discussed, yes?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    All the holds used in the hold review were used up binding the Harbinger in place for the AF laser to aim and fire.

Sadly, none survived.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,601 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On the topic of action figures, Whiteout never got one. Not a single one.

But yes, I'm all for thematic rewards for every addition to the game. All of them.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    BleakHarbinger.png
    A still from My Little Cthulhu: Friendship Is Unspeakable.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    A still from My Little Cthulhu: Friendship Is Unspeakable.

201px-Pinkie_Pie_preparing_to_do_a_spit_take_S3E13.png

201px-Pinkie_Pie_spit_take_S03E13.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    My little 'thulhu
    I used to wonder what could break my brain
    My little 'thulhu
    until you shared your madness with me

Crazy cultists
    Tons of guns
    An ancient threat under the waves
    Sharing mania
    It's an easy feat
    And madness makes it all complete

My little 'thulhu
    Dont you know you are my very worst fear
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How about new permenent story content ?

Its been over 15 MONTHS since we had any, thats an eternity for an MMO!
  • Options
    animaniac0451animaniac0451 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My little 'thulhu
    I used to wonder what could break my brain
    My little 'thulhu
    until you shared your madness with me

Crazy cultists
    Tons of guns
    An ancient threat under the waves
    Sharing mania
    It's an easy feat
    And madness makes it all complete

My little 'thulhu
    Dont you know you are my very worst fear

*sends much TT love* :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Dearest TT,

I had much reservations initially but time and again you have proven by action what you are willing to do for this community and game. I am now assured you will do what is possible to boost this game and for that I am most thankful and apologize for the initial doubts.

To other forumites,

Hope may have died for some but let's rekindle it. We are seeing progress. If things carries through, we will have carrier defense and lemurian leviathan to last us another few months while hopefully PW will finish Neverwinter and put more love to CO. Even though it is not as much as some of you will wish for but it is definitely some progress and we should encourage small successes and hope it will propagate more and larger steps. Perhaps I am an optimist but I do know that being pessimistic will not help the game. Continue to support CO financially and let the business people know that CO is worth the resources to develop and enhance.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We asked for more communication. Did we get it?

Actually nevermind. No other company acts like this and keeps customers. Enjoy your Stockholm experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I think TT is very cool and really appreciate his good vibes and efforts.

However...
    We are seeing progress.

No, we are not. We're seeing more promises and very sporadic, ornamental development.
    If things carries through, we will have carrier defense and lemurian leviathan to last us another few months while hopefully PW will finish Neverwinter and put more love to CO.

I don't care about carrier defense or Lemurian Leviathan. Talk to me in a few months.
    Continue to support CO financially and let the business people know that CO is worth the resources to develop and enhance.

So you want us to lie to people?

Look, I'll give CO the same kind of support that CO has given me -- 'I really like you and I'm sending you vibes and I'm going to get around to paying for stuff someday. But I have other projects that really need my money, I'm sure you understand.'

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sigh, sometimes I wonder why people with so much resentment and unhappiness about a game continues to remain in the forum and flood it with their negativity.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry if pragmatism and not being willfully blind is seen as 'flooding the forum with negativity.'

I'm still on the forum because I hope things change. I hope that, some day, Cryptic's well-wishes actually translates to action. I hope that the success of Neverwinter will spill over and PWE will consider gambling on reviving Champions Online.

That doesn't mean I have to act like a chump, though.

• Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sigh, sometimes I wonder why people with so much resentment and unhappiness about a game continues to remain in the forum and flood it with their negativity.

Forum is normally where suggestions appears. One must agree and other must disagree.

Some peoples do put on too much pressure on something, like they don't get something they demand for........... well you can't rush people can you?

Old or New are like each others, but for child they like to demand for stuff and rage, because they're too powerful in CO or other games. From a Pro to a Fake Pro

Argument on each threads, some peoples like to argue, some even talk trash, just for fun.

Let's just ignore them for the time being....................... let them calm down for a while

Anyway back to the topic. Lemurian Invasion might be fun to pass the time, plus the rare tank reward is only drop for 1 person in a team at a time. And difficulty for his Mega Event start to increase bit by bit