Install Arc
Options

Transitioning from CoH

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Hello everyone who's decided to make the jump from CoX to CO, this thread is to assist in helping those who are coming her from CoX to make the transition as painless as possible.
    Thank you!
    1) you don't get full access to the Character Creator until either 6 or 10 (can't remember which and the time it takes to level from 6 to 10 is a matter of maybe an hour or two).

Yes there's 2 conflicting views on this, some people say it's unlocked when you finish the tutorial, others when you hit level 10, as he said though the difference between level 6 and 10 is an hour or 2 at most.
    I tested this today, I believe the difference in opinion is because you must log out in order for the access to apply. Even hitting level 10, I only had the original costume options. Once I logged out and logged back in, poof, good to go.
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Sure! If you don't find somebody else to help you first that is. :biggrin:

I know you already know several of the people on that list because they're on the forums quite a bit, so just jot the people you know down on a piece of paper (like a Post-It note) and do the "Hello my name is {first name}" thing like you typically do when you meet people on the street. Like I said, the more the merrier! PvP, casual PvE, hardcore PvE, RP, all-of-the-above, doesn't matter as long as people are mature and respectful. Feel free to bring some of your clan buddies too if you feel they can be mature and respectful (which you should always do around the ladies anyways right?)

As for me, I'm traveling a lot these days and my internet is typically crappy for gaming. So just because I'm able to access the forums a lot, doesn't mean I can stop in and say hello in-game on a regular, regrettably. (this is a temporary inconvenience) I was looking for you early evening btw, got on a bit to say hello and post some stuff on the AH, price check Gambler's Cores, and withdraw a boat-load of Questionite off the exchange market (Zen that came from doing surveys actually). :smile:

I added the channels I was missing that were mentioned in this thread. Typically, I have 3 chat tabs:
    • "Chat" which is everything on (and in M.C. on a busy day this scrolls rather fast)
    • "Limited" which is just rewards, tells, system, admin, local, team, teamup, trade, -The Collective-, and coPvP
    • "Combat" which is just a detailed live information feed on stuff that is happening only to me, and local chat.

I definitely recommend if you're new to the game coming from CoH to try out my 3-tab system. It's wonderfully simple! :cool:

The only bug you have to worry about is if team-chat isn't working right, then toggle your popdown menu (white triangle in the blue square icon) between local and team and it'll be working again. Nice little quick trick to get it working again that doesn't require logging out and back in, which is a hassle.

PS: I also color code with Zone being light grey, local being white, system & admin being red, team being green, trade being dark gray, tells being dark orange, and the two reward types being light blue and navy blue. It's much easier on the eyes with that contrast scheme (Zone is annoying in bright white text), but feel free to color code as you want.

All of the above is good information. I would add one more.

You may be interested at times in what the NPCs are saying. And you might lose it in the scroll up of other tabs. I keep one tab listed as "NPC Chatter" off to the side as a "just in case" option. This also helps sometimes with mission givers dialogue. Because CO prints what they say in the mission windows in the NPC feed as well.

I did this in COH as well and it comes in handy more often then you might think.
  • Options
    skyrocker58skyrocker58 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My handle on CoX was @SkyRocker but because of the erratic times and days I could play I wasn't really well known there, but I was there for 7years, 2months. I did try out CO during the beta and it was ok but around that time there was sort of a combative attitude between the CO and CoX players.

This thread shows me that things have definitely changed. So I'm introducing myself and thanking those that are welcoming us to the fold. When it comes down to it, we're ALL gamers, and that's what counts.

I'm going to try to be more social in CO than I was in CoX, I've sent friend requests to people in this thread already and anyone who'd like to friend me, I'd welcome that. Don't know how the globals work here but my display name is skyrocker58 (I probably screwed myself out of a permanent global by using SkyRocker in the beta), but that might make my global here @skyrocker58?

I'm going to give the game a shot, might like it enough to sub, might not but I'll probably play every so often to get my "hero" fix.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

TC.
  • Options
    sophiallriandrisophiallriandri Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    .o/

I am by no means certain that I'll be coming back to this game. Not least because I've felt betrayed with the direction taken with (i)PWE.

However, to help make up my mind, here are some questions, and if anyone is able to answer them, I'd appreciate it:

1. The last time I played this game was pre-gear/enhancement overhaul. Is crafting still pointless? How easy is it to respec/rebuild characters from the old system?

2. With the addition of the questionable "questionite/dilithium" system, what is the balance now of RMT vs subscription? Do gold accounts still get a monthly stipend? How much "free" stuff is added to the game now? Or is the majority of new stuff (cosmetic or mechanical) pay-gated?

3. How frequent are the updates? Having spent most of my time playing in Paragon City, I was used to maybe 2-3 big updates a year. How does that compare here these days? I seem to recall that the developers were rather slow with major content pushes.

4. Have there been any new zones since Vibora Bay? Or any revamps since the MC and new-game quest overhauls?

That is all I can think of for now.

Have fun,

Sophia.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Is crafting still pointless?

Pointless? It simply doesn't exist. It's gear modification, you don't/can't craft anything anymore. :frown:
    How easy is it to respec/rebuild characters from the old system?

Easy!

In fact, you get waaaaay more customization with your character than you could on the old system which is a VERY good thing. A major positive. Being freeform is even better than ever, and even archetype has a lot of room to benefit (see? it's not all negative).

You only need R5 mods & cores at level 40 to be successful (read: NOT pay-to-win; which is AWESOME!). UNITY actually is an important part of gearing up now, it's no longer relatively pointless. If you really want to maxize a character you can even push up to R9 mods for that last 1% extra. But good luck, the amount of cores needed and the diminishing returns make this kind of BS.
    With the addition of the questionable "questionite/dilithium" system,

The Questionite Exchange, while at first I was skeptical of it too, has only brought profits to the game and made it to where you can either pay money and get it easily, or be one of the people playing fully for free but with enough hours of grinding you can get exclusive stuff that costs money. It's a win-win system.
    what is the balance now of RMT vs subscription?

RMT means something entirely different to a scientist... Don't use ambigious acryonyms please. Speak plainly.
    Do gold accounts still get a monthly stipend?

Of course.
    How much "free" stuff is added to the game now?

Two words to consider: Questionite Exchange. Anything is potentially free now, if you want to invest the time instead of money.
    Or is the majority of new stuff (cosmetic or mechanical) pay-gated?

It's a business, not a charity, so yes. That said, we've had too much of cosmetic and little corner-cutting content updates, rather than new explorable content (i.e.: maps & places).

That said, you can do very well for free in this game, better than before.

How frequent are the updates?

There are very frequent updates, about once every week on average in fact. But... They are often bringing out bugs any time there's a major patch.

Have there been any new zones since Vibora Bay? Or any revamps since the MC and new-game quest overhauls?

Regrettably, no. Many of us (myself included) have been pushing for just that: new explorable content. And we're a bit tired of the lack of financial committment from Perfect World toward this game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Many thanks for the reply agentnx5 ^_^.

By RMT - I meant "real-money transactions" i.e. c-store (or whatever they call it now). I felt CoX had a good balance - in that with the Tier9 stipend boost, you could pretty much get a powerset and something else everything 2 months (which is roughly how long it took for new powersets to appear anyway), so for ?9/month I felt you got a pretty good deal. Also I felt that the amount of PP you got per ?, considering what you could get with PP, was also pretty fair. The reason I asked about this is because I saw that since PWE took over, character slots for instance cost the same as around 4 CoX powersets, plus some PP left over for a cossie or two (if my math/rounding is correct). In comparison, a character slot in CoX costs just over a third of what it costs here, and you get 5 free costume slots, as supposed to the 2 (3 - if you still get that SG one) free you get here now.

Anyway, as for crafting (as it was), I'm kinda sad its gone, but also glad it is too. It really did seem pointless :(.

Still reserved about the questionite system. But I guess it is as much of a grind as it was for purps. (Although one stat table I found a while back made me baulk at the financial math).

Thanks again for the answers ^^.

Take care,

Sophia

PS. One last question, any idea what the exchange/buy rate is for either $1 or 1 pound sterling (for some reason it keeps changing the pound sign to ?) to Zen? I couldn't find it anywhere on the CO or PW site.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    PS. One last question, any idea what the exchange/buy rate is for either $1 or 1 pound sterling (for some reason it keeps changing the pound sign to ?) to Zen? I couldn't find it anywhere on the CO or PW site.
    No idea about pounds sterling, but it's 100 Zen per dollar. (SO much easier to convert than the old 80 Cryptic Points per dollar rate!)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks jonsills ^^.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well-known chat channels open to all:

Here is a lesser known, but still useful one:

"Concepts" -- The channel for questions regarding powers and builds.
  • Options
    stardiverstardiver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I feel this is probably the right place to ask, instead of where I had, but:

I'm told this game has laser swords, but I couldn't find where those are. I thought they'd be under "single blade," but I couldn't find any. I was told they were in the "power armour tree," but I don't know what that means. I really want something resembling a sword with a blade made of "energy" to complete a concept, even if I have to pay for it (though I'd like to see it first) and... Maybe the game has that, but I don't know where to look for it.
    |

Of all the things I've lost,
    It think I miss my mind the most.
  • Options
    alchemedicalchemedic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just jumping into the "at what level does the Costume Creator open up?" question. I hit level six on my first toon and had access to the full creator (full-at-Silver, meaning; none of the Gold stuff, of course).

All new characters I have experimented with have access to the same spectrum of offerings. (I don't have any characters above 6th level, in fact.)
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stardiver wrote: »

I'm told this game has laser swords, but I couldn't find where those are. I thought they'd be under "single blade," but I couldn't find any. I was told they were in the "power armour tree," but I don't know what that means. I really want something resembling a sword with a blade made of "energy" to complete a concept, even if I have to pay for it (though I'd like to see it first) and... Maybe the game has that, but I don't know where to look for it.

Hello and welcome to the game!
    A little background on how character creation works for free form players:
    Rather than getting Archetypes with pre-defined powers we can access every power in the game. These are organised under "Power Trees" with similar powers grouped together.
    The power that you are looking for, Energy Sword, is characterised as a "Power Armour" power, along with many other high tech powers. There is currently no Energy Sword based Archetype so the only way to get the assorted Energy Sword powers is to subscribe. You can, however, look up videos of the power in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeJsR6KZvk
    This is a video of someone trying out the assorted Energy Sword powers.
    Hope this helps.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    stardiver wrote: »

I saw in another thread that you are looking for info on the T.K. Blades powers. I can say from personal experience that this is one of the most fun and effective powersets in the entire game! The balance of different powers is absolutely awesome for a DPS character!
    http://beta.xfire.com/video/1568cf/
    Here is a video someone posted with T.K. Blades (also known as Ego Blades).

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok, so i have had a little time to get my feet wet with this game, and i have some more questions. one of the things i LOVED about CoX was it was my first MMO, and when i joined i had a metric ton of questions, and they were ALL answered by helpful and friendly VETS. this was an awesome experience. i have heard that no other MMO is like that, but so far this game seems to be keeping in line with that tradition, maybe it's the superhero genre that brings it out in folks.

so, question time.

first, i know you unlock the extra goodies in the CC at 6 or 10, and i hit that with a telekinetic blade toon (fun powers, but the animations seem a little stiff). next toon i made (gotta fill ALL the slots darn it!) was a freeform might toon. i got him all spiffy'd up in the CC, which seemed to have lots of extra options this time around, but when i entered the tutorial.... his costume kinda got generic'd. it lost it's pattern on the tights. is it possible that the patterns are level dependent and i can't actually use them until level 6? or was it just a glitch that others have encountered? hopefully someone has some insight/experience with this.

second..... freeform characters.... ANY POWER AT ANY TIME? really? i thought when i chose freeform i would get to choose the power set and have more freedom with what powers i chose when from that set. but NOOOOOOOOO, it's all powers, all the time. this seems too good to be true. i know that sounds pessimistic, but can you really choose, say, the first two powers from might, then choose a dark blast, then a fire power, then a sword power and so on? i think that they would have some serious penalties for that kind of ADD superhero creation, but again, maybe i'm just pessimistic. is it just what stats you focus on? and how they effect your powers? might relies on str and con, blasts on ego, so if i chose a blast power it would be really weak, right?

i guess the real question for number 2 is, does some have a linear guide for morons for using freeform characters? i see buiilds in the forums, but they aren't linear and don't make much sense to me. please tell me some one made a morons guide for folks like me.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok, so i have had a little time to get my feet wet with this game, and i have some more questions. one of the things i LOVED about CoX was it was my first MMO, and when i joined i had a metric ton of questions, and they were ALL answered by helpful and friendly VETS. this was an awesome experience. i have heard that no other MMO is like that, but so far this game seems to be keeping in line with that tradition, maybe it's the superhero genre that brings it out in folks.

Glad your experience has been a good one so far
    . :biggrin:

so, question time.

first, i know you unlock the extra goodies in the CC at 6 or 10, and i hit that with a telekinetic blade toon (fun powers, but the animations seem a little stiff). next toon i made (gotta fill ALL the slots darn it!) was a freeform might toon. i got him all spiffy'd up in the CC, which seemed to have lots of extra options this time around, but when i entered the tutorial.... his costume kinda got generic'd. it lost it's pattern on the tights. is it possible that the patterns are level dependent and i can't actually use them until level 6? or was it just a glitch that others have encountered? hopefully someone has some insight/experience with this.

It is a bug, and has been reported by others.

second..... freeform characters.... ANY POWER AT ANY TIME? really? i thought when i chose freeform i would get to choose the power set and have more freedom with what powers i chose when from that set. but NOOOOOOOOO, it's all powers, all the time. this seems too good to be true. i know that sounds pessimistic, but can you really choose, say, the first two powers from might, then choose a dark blast, then a fire power, then a sword power and so on? i think that they would have some serious penalties for that kind of ADD superhero creation, but again, maybe i'm just pessimistic. is it just what stats you focus on? and how they effect your powers? might relies on str and con, blasts on ego, so if i chose a blast power it would be really weak, right?

Its not quite that easy. Powers are ranked by Tier. Preventing you from picking, for example, a Tier 3 power initially. You need to select a set number of lower Tiered powers before you can gain access to higher Tiered powers.

You used to be able to get higher Tiered powers sooner, if you stayed within your initial framework. I believe that has been changed.

There is really nothing preventing you from dabbling in all powers. Other then synergy. Some powers just work better with others. Some don't work well together at all. For example, say you want to use darkness powers and swords. Darkness is Paranormal (Dimensional) damage. Swords would be Physical (Slashing) damage. There are only a few Offensive passive, that boost both types of damage creating synergy. So as you make choices, you tend to get funneled down a path if you want to keep synergy. Otherwise some powers will simply not function as effective as the others.

i guess the real question for number 2 is, does some have a linear guide for morons for using freeform characters? i see buiilds in the forums, but they aren't linear and don't make much sense to me. please tell me some one made a morons guide for folks like me.

There are plenty of guides and much help available from the build gurus around here. Simply ask around the builds and powers subsection. There are a ton of folks there much smarter then I on such things
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So I started a new character last night and after someone explained to me how to turn off the outlines, I liked it quite a bit, more than I really expected. I'm playing an Inferno character and that's going pretty well--I wanted to start with something really different than my Cox main. But what I would really like to do eventually is recreate my favorite CoX character: The Riveter, a War Mace/Willpower tank based on Rosie the Riveter.

It seems like it should be relatively simple, but what would be the best way to do build that? And is there a way to use a wrench as a weapon?
  • Options
    edited September 2012

so, question time.

In the Advanced Setting section of the Video Options there is a box labelled "Raise Settings In Character Creator" if this box is checked, then you may see details in the Character Creator that will not be seen in game unless you have all of your settings maxed out. There is another box labelled "Half Resolution". If you can run your game without this checked, then I recommend that you do so, as it universally degrades just about all images.

The difficult part comes with balancing your abilities so that they feed off one another, not fight against one another. For example, your single most important ability is your Passive. This is your strongest power and your defining characteristic. It can have a great many effects on your character. In order to have a strong character you would need to build around this power. You do not need to, however. If you want to make a Ranged Maintain toon with Unstoppable (pure Melee damage) as their passive you can. It just won't be the strongest toon ever. That said, the real strength of Freeform is the ability to go out of class at any time. Yes, in your example, the darkness Blast attack would be weak, but, with a melee toon having a nice ranged attack or two helps round out your build. They don't NEED to be great, they just have to work in the situations where a ranged attack is helpful (I.E. widely scattered opponents).

Look under the Builds And Roles section of the Forums.
    Specifically under the Sticky called the Big Box O' Guides.
    Even more specifically look for guides written by Kenpojujtsu3. He is the resident Build Master of Champions Online.
    Most specifically of all: If you are having fun, then you are doing it right. Never let anyone tell you otherwise!
    Hope this helps.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ugh my eyes jorifice1...

Why not just break the quote down into sections? There's a quote button that makes this easy with a little cut&pasting or select-text&clicking-the-button.

Why when people like you and sockmunkey start writing your reply inside the quote it's not only defeating the purpose of a quote, but it makes it a real pain to have to reply with a quote.

I realize this is a minor writing suggestion, but I really wish it would stop. And large blocks of text that are bolded & underlined is very tacky looking, I certainly won't bother reading it.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ugh my eyes jorifice1...

Why not just break the quote down into sections? There's a quote button that makes this easy with a little cut&pasting or select-text&clicking-the-button.

Why when people like you and sockmunkey start writing your reply inside the quote it's not only defeating the purpose of a quote, but it makes it a real pain to have to reply with a quote.

I realize this is a minor writing suggestion, but I really wish it would stop. And large blocks of text that are bolded & underlined is very tacky looking, I certainly won't bother reading it.

Sorry, man. I actually have no idea what so ever how this stuff works. To put it bluntly, I was completely winging it there. I don't even know how to change the colours of my text. I really did not intend to cause reading problems for anyone. This is happening more and more since I reached my Age of Technical Illiteracy somewhere around 2004. Before then I actually refurbished old P.C's I got cheep at auctions and flee markets. Now, if I can find the "on" button three times out of five I call it a win.

• Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    There is really nothing preventing you from dabbling in all powers. Other then synergy.

Very true, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts to it.

This is true, you can to a point pick any power you want, at almost any point. As long as you qualify for the tier.

So you can in fact take 13 tier 1 attacks if you wanted to. You'd be very, very ineffective and wouldn't enjoy the character at all, but you could do it. But I don't think anyone would really do this.

But more realistically, you could make a Might and Fire character who's super strong and can throw fire. You could make a sword wielding darkness mage. You could make a gun totting, sword wielding, boomerang throwing, archer if you wanted to. You're truly not limited at all, you can pick up to 13 powers plus a EB, and pick from pretty much any set you want.

But like Sockmunkey said, you run into issues of synergy. In short you can do it, but you may not like the results.

I tend to think of it a bit like building a deck in Magic the Gathering, the more colors you include, the less focused your deck becomes.

In CO, if you stick to one power set like say Fire, then pretty much every power will have synergy with the other powers. Throw in some lightning, or wind or ice, and you'll not be quite as effective. Because powers like Thermal Reverberation only works with fire. Or Targeting Computer in the Power Armor set only works with Tech powers.

That said, if you stick to the Elemental sets, Fire, Ice, Wind, Force, ect... You'll find a fair amount of synergy without having to think about it much, but it will require a bit more thought and planing then sticking to just Fire or Ice.

Start mixing in things like Might and Unarmed Martial Arts, then it requires even more thought because you've become less focused. A number of powers in Might are geared towards knock down, up, back. MA powers have some knocks but also some that do things like improve your dodge and avoidance.

So while you can mix and match as much as you might like, the more you do the less focused your build and the more planing you need to put into it, to achieve some form of synergy.

However, all that said it doesn't take a super focused build to have fun in the PvE content in this game. So feel free to experiment a bit and try something different. You might find that you like it, even if it's not the most powerful build in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    My handle on CoX was @SkyRocker but because of the erratic times and days I could play I wasn't really well known there, but I was there for 7years, 2months. I did try out CO during the beta and it was ok but around that time there was sort of a combative attitude between the CO and CoX players.

This thread shows me that things have definitely changed. So I'm introducing myself and thanking those that are welcoming us to the fold. When it comes down to it, we're ALL gamers, and that's what counts.

I'm going to try to be more social in CO than I was in CoX, I've sent friend requests to people in this thread already and anyone who'd like to friend me, I'd welcome that. Don't know how the globals work here but my display name is skyrocker58 (I probably screwed myself out of a permanent global by using SkyRocker in the beta), but that might make my global here @skyrocker58?

I'm going to give the game a shot, might like it enough to sub, might not but I'll probably play every so often to get my "hero" fix.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

TC.

I'm @aariny in-game. I'm not currently in CO at the moment because

1) All my CO characters are Gold and I'm a little between funds at the moment.

and

2) I'm playing HELL out of CoX currently trying to wrap up some content that I'd been putting off for ages between now and Nov 30.

But I do intend to log in here and there in CO as soon as I get re-subbed and I'll try and remember that you might've sent me an in-game friend request.

Instead of going, "Who is this and why are they sending me a friend request?" :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Sorry, man. I actually have no idea what so ever how this stuff works. To put it bluntly, I was completely winging it there. I don't even know how to change the colours of my text. I really did not intend to cause reading problems for anyone. This is happening more and more since I reached my Age of Technical Illiteracy somewhere around 2004. Before then I actually refurbished old P.C's I got cheep at auctions and flee markets. Now, if I can find the "on" button three times out of five I call it a win.

np, maybe this might help with BB Code Syntax for stuff?

Use the [stuff] to open/start a formatting tag and [/stuff] to close/end it.
    The square brackets are used in forum BB code to do commands and such.

Quotes are "Quote" and "/Quote". And you write quote="agentx5" to do this:
    agentx5 wrote:
    Copy & paste or select-drag-&-drop text here, between the quote tags here

[-color="RoyalBlue"]light blue text[/color-] (remove the hyphens I added)
    does this:
    light blue text

A bullet point list is just [-list] and [/list-] (again, remove the hyphens) and in-between the two tags you put [*] to make the bullet points appear for each item on the list. For an ordered list, you use [-list=1] instead of [-list] (again, remove the hyphens to activate) It looks like this:

Ordered list:
    1. stuff #1
    2. stuff #2
    3. stuff #3

And finally...

RIGHT, CENTER, and LEFT with tags does this (don't forget to close with a /RIGHT tag or whatever.
    does this:
    Left
    Center
    Right

These are the basics. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • Options
    koendianskoendians Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All right, legal question - I don't know if this is the best place to ask it (or if there is a good place to ask it on these boards), so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

Cryptic made City of Heroes. Cryptic owns/works with PWE. Cryptic still advertises CoH on their website (I just checked). These things I know.

Rumor has it that Cryptic still owns a good chunk of CoH content, such as the signature heroes, etc. Is this true? Could Cryptic bring them back when/wherever they wanted?
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    koendians wrote: »
    All right, legal question - I don't know if this is the best place to ask it (or if there is a good place to ask it on these boards), so forgive me if this is the wrong place.

Cryptic made City of Heroes. Cryptic owns/works with PWE. Cryptic still advertises CoH on their website (I just checked). These things I know.

Rumor has it that Cryptic still owns a good chunk of CoH content, such as the signature heroes, etc. Is this true? Could Cryptic bring them back when/wherever they wanted?

Simple answer, we don't know.
  • Options
    kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2012

They do not. The City of Heroes IP is wholly owned by NCsoft.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    They do not. The City of Heroes IP is wholly owned by NCsoft.

Even if they did. Not sure why they'd want to include City of Heroes lore in CO. This game has enough lore as is, it's not like they need to flesh out huge chunks or anything. In fact seeing how they own the Champions IP, they have a massive amount of lore, more so then even the 500+ page CoH document they always talked about.

They could include some of the characters, but again there's not much point.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Even if they did. Not sure why they'd want to include City of Heroes lore in CO. This game has enough lore as is, it's not like they need to flesh out huge chunks or anything. In fact seeing how they own the Champions IP, they have a massive amount of lore, more so then even the 500+ page CoH document they always talked about.

They could include some of the characters, but again there's not much point.

Agreed .

Remember the Champions PnP inspired Cryptic to make CoH. I cant see CoH lore ever being put in CO proper.

But if they do still have some rights to The Statesman and Recluse I could in-vison a CO universe version of them making it in..but thats a big IF.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    But if they do still have some rights to The Statesman and Recluse I could in-vison a CO universe version of them making it in..

Myself I never had the Statesman hate that so many others did. Myself I thought the way people hated him was frankly a bit childish and silly. He was intended to be the Big Blue Boyscout of the CoH world... So why hate him for that? The fact that he was supposed to be Jack's character didn't matter to me. Even the fact that you wouldn't ever match up to him, at least for as long as I played didn't either. There's a ton of heroes in DC and Marvel that don't match up with the likes of Superman or Thor. Doesn't mean the characters are pointless.

Anywho... Trying to fit those two into CO is a bit problematic, and would at the very least require a reworking of their origins. The whole idea behind them was that they were in many way the first of the 'new gods' and hailed the beginning of the next era of epic heroes.

Statesman isn't the same thing as Defender, he's closer to Vanguard I think, although Vanguards dead. Recluse pretty much is Dr Destroyer. So while I liked those two characters I don't see how they'd fit in this world, without some sort of revamp, which would really remove the thing that made them the characters they are.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Recluse is basically Dr. Destroyer? I wasn't aware of that - I got the impression that yes, while he has servants, they aren't as organized as Arachnos. I guess I'm wrong! :)

I also keep forgetting that CO is a pencil and paper game before it went online. :)

I was actually asking more generally, though, if Cryptic wanted, what could they do, add characters here or there, or even go so far as to make a CoH2. This is why I wasn't sure it was appropriate to ask on this forum, but wasn't aware of a better forum on which to ask. :)
  • Options
    ventaniventani Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Offering up assistance as meager as it might be to those Paragon's that come over. Assistance with builds, missions, verbottens, etc. I played on the Pinnacle and Justice servers until CO came out, but was never a 'prominent' member of the community. Look me up @aeolwind. I'm mainly on during the day on Thursday and Friday, so if I'm not around shoot me an email and I'll help out however I can.

Formerly Aeolwind
    Nothing witty, just angst.
    Primus Database of Characters
    40 Count = 6
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Note that synergies can work across VERY different powersets, but you have to pay close attention.

For example, the Stormbringer (Wind) offensive passive gives a bonus to crushing, cold, and electricity damage and resistance to same.

Well, hey. 'Crushing' covers everything from bolts of pure force to giant rocks, so you could make some really interesting combinations with that passive.

There are other places where you can make interesting connections. Then there are sets (I think telepathy and telekinesis are like this) where you really have to be extremely cautious mixing with other stuff (though cherry-picking from Mind abilities is certainly doable -- I had a Celestial type who picked up Ego Sleep and Ego Sprites, and it worked great)

Then you have defensive passives. You can make a hero that does credible damage by adding various toggles and boosters to increase damage, without feeling quite as hemmed in by an offensive passive's bonus.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Posts: 463 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As someone who started came over from CoX only yesterday, I have to make mention of something I think is important.

The -FIRST- thing that is going to hit CoX players coming into CO is the difference in graphics. This is what I first noticed, and it almost made me stop playing in the first minutes of the game with thoughts of 'That might look okay in a throw-away comic book, but they couldn't have settled for -this-??'. The graphics in CoX might have been dated by some people's standards, but they are/were miles ahead of what CO defaults to at start.

I only now have read about the option to turn off Outlines, and something called 'Half Graphics Option Toggle'. I don't have access to the game at the moment, but will try these out as soon as I do. I have high hopes this will eliminate the vast majority of my problems with CO's appearance.

I can't overemphasize the impact of the graphics on CoX players when they first boot into the game. It's something that is always in front of them, and will probably be the biggest obsticle in transiting over (especially after the realism and beauty of Praetoria's environment in CoX), as (in my opinion) they will be hit with the same initial reaction I had.

So, I would simply ask if someone could post the most important Graphics settings CoX players should make adjustments to as soon as they start.
    STO%20EMOTE%202.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Recluse is basically Dr. Destroyer?

Well in as much as they're both the Big Bad Guy. They're both the Dr. Doom of their worlds. The biggest, and most high profile villain.
    danqueller wrote: »
    The graphics in CoX might have been dated by some people's standards, but they are/were miles ahead of what CO defaults to at start.

I'd say the two key things is turning off the outlining and setting the gfx as high as you can for your system. Do both of those and the graphics will be better then anything CoX had to offer. But, and maybe this is just me... How many people will leave the graphics settings at the default after they install a new game? I know I never do, because if nothing else the screen rez never seems to match my monitor.

Some might prefer the art style of CoX, over CO, and that's fine. But speaking from a technical standpoint CO is better then CoX, simply because of age if nothing else.
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Posts: 463 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    But, and maybe this is just me... How many people will leave the graphics settings at the default after they install a new game? I know I never do, because if nothing else the screen rez never seems to match my monitor.

Considering no other game I've ever played has 'Outlining', it's not one of the things alot of players will think is an optional setting, but something that is part of the Engine itself. They won't wait long enough to look at the Options or even know they can before forming opinions on the game and deciding if it is something they want to try.

That's why I'd like to see recommendations for which Graphics settings players from CoX should immediately look into -before- they rate the game. I'm not necessarily looking at settings themselves, but a list of what should be looked out, and where they are located at in the menus.
    STO%20EMOTE%202.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Definitely turn off Outlining, and turn off Half-Graphics. Tweak the other settings to suit your system. (I'm running on a two- or three-year-old laptop I got secondhand, and find that setting the distance resolution to 75% gets me a nice look at the city without fog, while not causing framerate breakdown as I travel. I also have the water surface set to be Reflective, because it looks better on my screen when the engine isn't trying to render things that are underwater.)

Pay special attention to lighting levels - those can make a considerable difference - and if you find yourself moving slowly a lot, with your FPS rate dropping, consider going into your HUD and turning off the display of other players' names and health bars. (The system apparently sets aside the capacity to render the names of everyone in the instance, just in case you're all in the same place at the same time for some reason...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Considering no other game I've ever played has 'Outlining', it's not one of the things alot of players will think is an optional setting, but something that is part of the Engine itself.

I would add that the option to turn outlining off is a little buried. It took me a couple of minutes to find it even after someone told me it was possible.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I posted the following in another thread here on the boards, I think it applies here as well:

===

In terms of engine. In terms of graphics - I think there's no question that Champions is the more advanced. The textures and the way it renders things is smoother and more detailed. It is very pretty. City of Heroes has been doing AMAZING things with an engine 3 times as old, no doubt. But there are limits. The actual polygon counts are lower and the effects aren't as detailed in some cases.

Mind you - this is on the HIGH END settings where the comparison is made.

You drop Champions graphics down to it's lower end, and it quickly loses a LOT of it's shininess. City of Heroes retains most of its detail and look down to less optimal settings than Champions does.

In other words - drop down City of Heroes from "Ultra Mode" graphics down to "Performance" mode and you will see less difference in the world and characters than you will in Champions.

To get the most out of Champions, graphically, you really do need to run it at maximum settings more than you do City of Heroes. City of Heroes still looks like itself at lower settings. Champions starts to look very "unfinished" at lower settings.

This may be why some COH players think Champions isn't as pretty. You may have more COH players who are still running on older machines who CAN'T run Champions at a setting where it really shines. But their older machines were able to render COH at levels where the graphics - if not ultra - were still looking pretty darn decent.

Or - to use an analogy. Take two nearsighted people. Me and my friend Dave. I represent COH and Dave represents CO. I'm nearsighted, but not nearly so much as Dave. But Dave has a better more up-to-date prescription, where I have let mine lapse a few years. So my eyesight is slightly fuzzier even with the glasses than Dave's are with his.

But when I take off my glasses, I can still see reasonably well. When Dave takes off his, he's at a disadvantage.

Put our glasses on and Dave sees the world more clearly than I do.

That's COH and CO in the graphics in a strict technical sense.

Design-wise, in terms of characters, people say CoH is more "realistic" than CO. Now that's not really fair. NEITHER are realistic AT ALL.

Now it's true that Champions characters are inherently more "cartoony" than COH characters are. That was by design after all. Turn off the outlining and a lot of this drops away. But it does still tend to lean more towards a look reminiscent of "The Incredibles" than, say - Jim Lee or George Perez. With proportion tweaking, you can alleviate that. But that's where the basic templates begin.

===

To help City of Heroes players make characters with proportions closer to what they are familiar with, I put out a call in the Costumes thread below and almost immediately got some good help from Bluhman and a couple of others.

Here's a link to that thread in question. But I'll paste the most relevant part here as well.

At my request, Bluhman posted the following templates for City of Heroes players to use that more closely match the basic body shapes that the COH Costume creator starts with (before proportion sliders).

bluhman wrote: »

Males
    Females
    Huges
    A few comparisons/observations made between CoX and CO characters (as explained from the perspective of CoX):

CO characters have comparatively much longer arms compared to CoX. Whereas a CO character's closed fist will likely reach about halfway down the thigh, CoX only reaches around the top of the leg/lower groin area.

CO Characters also have very large hands and feet. Especially with feet, which have to be driven entirely down the slider to resemble anything from CoX.

Related to that, CoX legs are more evenly sized as they go down the leg. In comparison, CO legs are much more curved. The same probably applies for arms, but if it does, it's not nearly as noticeable.

The one thing that is completely unchangeable between the two games: The neck area of CO characters is much more curved. CoX characters (particularly males) have a much flatter shoulder line in comparison. There pretty much is nothing I can do about that.

IMPORTANT:

For COH refugees, let me explain how to use these templates.

Champions does not save costumes as a text file like COH does. Instead, it saves costumes as an actual PICTURE in Jpeg format with the costume info "baked" into the code. And then this image is saved in the screenshot folder where your regular screenshots go to.

In order to use the templates, you need to download the picture in the link, then go to:

(Wherever your Champions Online folder is - Mine is in the Steam folder)

Champions Online
    live
    screenshots

And dump the picture into that folder.

Then start your game. Go to the costume creator, and at the bottom, you'll see a button marked "LOAD" and one marked "SAVE" (similar to COH CC).

Click "LOAD" and look for the name of the template in the menu. Click on it and bring it into the main viewer.

Voila! Now you have a pre-made proportional template that you can modify!

Here are some further templates that Bluhman made earlier this year that also might be of help:
    Originally Posted by bluhman:

Templates

Young Adult/Average - For the hero with a less-than-stellar physique. Good for agile heroes, young heroes, and citizen forms.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403546.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403672.jpg

Child - Adapted from Smackwell's child templates from like 2 years back. Slight tweaks included, such as more realistic waist-hip ratios and whatnot.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403771.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403808.jpg

Fatty - For the hero with a much less-than-stellar physique. Note that the female version of this one is highly experimental and I don't find it satisfactory.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400404350.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400404600.jpg

Paragon - Tall, well-muscled, but still of a fairly balanced proportion. Good for the archtypical hero with super strength.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403879.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400403998.jpg

Androgynous - Female skeleton, more masculine proportions. Use it to create... Something.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400404136.jpg

Strongman - Kind of like the paragon, but with arms like hams.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._381105434.jpg

Dwarf - If you want to play a comparatively short person from a fantasy realm, this should provide a worthy starting spot.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400405565.jpg
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11..._400405785.jpg

I hope this helps some City of Heroes players more easily recreate their beloved character concepts.
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I posted the following in another thread here on the boards, I think it applies here as well:

===

In terms of engine. In terms of graphics - I think there's no question that Champions is the more advanced. The textures and the way it renders things is smoother and more detailed. It is very pretty. City of Heroes has been doing AMAZING things with an engine 3 times as old, no doubt. But there are limits. The actual polygon counts are lower and the effects aren't as detailed in some cases.

Mind you - this is on the HIGH END settings where the comparison is made.

You drop Champions graphics down to it's lower end, and it quickly loses a LOT of it's shininess. City of Heroes retains most of its detail and look down to less optimal settings than Champions does.

In other words - drop down City of Heroes from "Ultra Mode" graphics down to "Performance" mode and you will see less difference in the world and characters than you will in Champions.

To get the most out of Champions, graphically, you really do need to run it at maximum settings more than you do City of Heroes. City of Heroes still looks like itself at lower settings. Champions starts to look very "unfinished" at lower settings.

This may be why some COH players think Champions isn't as pretty. You may have more COH players who are still running on older machines who CAN'T run Champions at a setting where it really shines. But their older machines were able to render COH at levels where the graphics - if not ultra - were still looking pretty darn decent.

Or - to use an analogy. Take two nearsighted people. Me and my friend Dave. I represent COH and Dave represents CO. I'm nearsighted, but not nearly so much as Dave. But Dave has a better more up-to-date prescription, where I have let mine lapse a few years. So my eyesight is slightly fuzzier even with the glasses than Dave's are with his.

But when I take off my glasses, I can still see reasonably well. When Dave takes off his, he's at a disadvantage.

Put our glasses on and Dave sees the world more clearly than I do.

That's COH and CO in the graphics in a strict technical sense.

Design-wise, in terms of characters, people say CoH is more "realistic" than CO. Now that's not really fair. NEITHER are realistic AT ALL.

Now it's true that Champions characters are inherently more "cartoony" than COH characters are. That was by design after all. Turn off the outlining and a lot of this drops away. But it does still tend to lean more towards a look reminiscent of "The Incredibles" than, say - Jim Lee or George Perez. With proportion tweaking, you can alleviate that. But that's where the basic templates begin.

===

To help City of Heroes players make characters with proportions closer to what they are familiar with, I put out a call in the Costumes thread below and almost immediately got some good help from Bluhman and a couple of others.

Here's a link to that thread in question. But I'll paste the most relevant part here as well.

At my request, Bluhman posted the following templates for City of Heroes players to use that more closely match the basic body shapes that the COH Costume creator starts with (before proportion sliders).

IMPORTANT:

Champions does not save costumes as a text file like COH does. Instead, it saves costumes as an actual PICTURE in Jpeg format with the costume info "baked" into the code. And then this image is saved in the screenshot folder where your regular screenshots go to.

In order to use the templates, you need to download the picture in the link, then go to:

Champions Online
    live
    screenshots

Then start your game. Go to the costume creator, and at the bottom, you'll see a button marked "LOAD" and one marked "SAVE" (similar to COH CC).

Click "LOAD" and look for the name of the template in the menu. Click on it and bring it into the main viewer.

Here are some further templates that Bluhman made earlier this year that also might be of help:

I hope this helps some City of Heroes players more easily recreate their beloved character concepts.

Some of the images you link to are broken.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • Options
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012

IMPORTANT:

Champions Online
    live
    screenshots

Are you sure this will work Logan? Not tried it recently but form my earlier experiences (before PWE, which I doubt it has anything to do with file handling), for being able to load a costume file, you need to change user name.

For Example:

If downloaded image named:
    Screenshot_Bluhman_Huge

I need to convert it to:
    Screenshot_Knightly (my global in game so change it with yours) _Huge , to make it work.

Will try to test it tonight if I can find time. However if it changes due to computer/region specifics then if anyone can't make those templates work they can try what I tried to explain above.

Knightly
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Would it be useful for someone to make some basic Freeform build guides explaining how to make stuff that's comparable to CoH Archetypes? I know there's got to be people going "I wish I could be a Mastermind and have a ton of pets" and not knowing that there are certainly ways to make pet-centric builds in CO. Or wishing they could make a Brute without knowing about Enrage(which mimics the Brute AT's inherent ability, sort of).

And then there's stuff like players who will just try to puzzle out how to replicate a Controller or Dominator on their own and end up running into issues since CO's hold/immob stuff isn't as powerful or useful as CoH's necessarily. Or someone who desperately wants to bring their Night Widow or Kheldian over and isn't sure how to manage the right mix of abilities for them to at least play in a familiar manner, even if it'll never be a 1:1 translation.

I don't know enough about CO to really make an in-depth guide, but if someone who knows both games rather intimately could give it a shot, it'd probably be worthy of it's own topic. And would be a good source of build discussion and learning about Freeform for new players.

DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This thread is not about which game is better or your personal opinion of the game. If you don't have anything to say that will help the City players transition to CoH, refrain from posting.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    yougan wrote: »

The original post was removed so I removed it from my own.

I don't even know where to begin with how misinformed you seem to be about the game. Archetypes in CO serve a much different purpose than in CoH though, primarily.

In CoH they are your character classes. And you customize within them what you want. In CO, there are no actual classes. By default the game is 'freeform' building where you can choose any power, from any set, as you level. But that's for subscribers, and it can also be horribly intimidating for new players or those not numerically inclined.

Archetypes fill the spot of "i just want a build someone else made and i know is good". You aren't choosing a class when you pick an Archetype, you're choosing a character theme with an attached, pre-made build.

Additionally, there's no real "pay to win" stuff here. At all. In CoH you had to pay to gain access to every archetype, to gain access to every powerset. CO is no different! There's no inherent advantage in the pay-for archetypes either. Some might be better suited for certain roles than others, but no roles are locked out to the player entirely, and none of the pay-for ATs are purposefully overpowered or anything bizzare like that.

The combat system isn't everyone's cup of tea though, that's a definite. CoH wasn't to everyone's taste either. And neither is DCUO's. They're all very different sections of a whole spectrum of styles of combat.

DCUO is a fun game though, and anyone who's on the fence about what game to try out should give it a shot. The combo-based system is really cool and the combat is fast and very difficult, especially with the most recent update that gave enemies block-breakers and other sorts of interrupts that players have had forever. But be aware you'll be dealing with the worst chat system and UI of any MMO I've ever seen. Completely locked in and unable to be customized, tiny window for chat you can't sort into tabs or silence channels in, it's pretty bad. CO's isn't as nice as CoH's(multiple chat windows should be in every MMO) but at least it's reasonably customizable.

But disliking a game is no reason to start yelling for everyone else to not even give it a try.

Edit: wait this guy is posting with a lifetime subscriber account lol wat

DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    lohr01lohr01 Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Will do. :smile:

I've also been asking Lohr if she needs help with the Wiki for ages, but she always deleted or didn't notice my PMs I think so I gave up lol :tongue:

I need helps, but I've stopped playing as much, so it's hard.
    edited September 2012
    DCUO is a fun game though, and anyone who's on the fence about what game to try out should give it a shot. The combo-based system is really cool and the combat is fast and very difficult, especially with the most recent update that gave enemies block-breakers and other sorts of interrupts that players have had forever. But be aware you'll be dealing with the worst chat system and UI of any MMO I've ever seen. Completely locked in and unable to be customized, tiny window for chat you can't sort into tabs or silence channels in, it's pretty bad. CO's isn't as nice as CoH's(multiple chat windows should be in every MMO) but at least it's reasonably customizable.

Just a heads up. The chat system is still locked in that little window. But if you can add and edit the tabs and channels that each tab is listening to. And yes - you can do things like take "Zone" chat out of the main tab and such.

It's just not real OBVIOUS at first glance that you can do that. In that way - oh yes. Definitely still borked, especially for new players.

I think if DCUO would just allow more costume options from the beginning and allow the UI to be open to modding, it would alleviate a lot of complaints people have. I don't know if it'll ever be a game where Roleplayers gather though.

As I've said before, though, it is a fun, casual game to play though. Not DEEP. But fun.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This thread is not about which game is better or your personal opinion of the game. If you don't have anything to say that will help the City players transition to CoH, refrain from posting.

Indeed.

In CO, there are no actual classes. By default the game is 'freeform' building where you can choose any power, from any set, as you level. But that's for subscribers, and it can also be horribly intimidating for new players or those not numerically inclined.

Archetypes fill the spot of "i just want a build someone else made and i know is good". You aren't choosing a class when you pick an Archetype, you're choosing a character theme with an attached, pre-made build.

Additionally, there's no real "pay to win" stuff here. At all. In CoH you had to pay to gain access to every archetype, to gain access to every powerset. CO is no different! There's no inherent advantage in the pay-for archetypes either. Some might be better suited for certain roles than others, but no roles are locked out to the player entirely, and none of the pay-for ATs are purposefully overpowered or anything bizzare like that.

QFT.

I'll mention in addition to what you said (which is a prefect description really of archetypes) that some archetypes can actually be BETTER than some freeforms, because you can over-generalize and cherry pick powers that have no synergy at all and you'll kind of have just a sucky mutt build that's subpar at everything. There's no wrong choice, but there are certainly more efficient and more synergistic combinations. Freeform is for the experienced player who wants to get the mastery-level experience (especially if you play PvE Elite with a full team all the time).

Also, I LOVE the fact this game is NOT pay-to-win. I hope that doesn't change, seriously. Granted things are easier and potentially quicker with paid purchases, but you don't have to feel like you must keep paying just to keep your neck above the water.

lohr01 wrote: »
    I need helps, but I've stopped playing as much, so it's hard.

np, me know where I can help. :smile:

I'm not able to be in-game as much these days, but I'm on the internet daily so I'm certainly active enough to help. I keep encountering little oddities or outdated bits in pieces when I reference the wiki when talking about build stuff in the Combat & Powers forum, so that's probably what needs to be worked on first. The wiki you created has been extremely handy as a reference for powers and lore (seems like specialization trees need some love too).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    REDACTED: I think I've found the problem and it may not be me OR Champions. See later post.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The bugs have been here for me, but not as maddening.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The only real issue I've had is a series of server disconnects. But those seem to have been much better the last couple of days.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, Logandarklighter, I think it may be something about the interface between your computer and the game - I'm not having so many problems. Maybe you should contact tech support. :)