Install Arc
Options

Transitioning from CoH

Comments

• Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    koendians wrote: »
    Yeah, Logandarklighter, I think it may be something about the interface between your computer and the game - I'm not having so many problems. Maybe you should contact tech support. :)

I have done a complete uninstall and re-install of the game. I am getting loadscreen lag to the point of time-out and loss of connection back to the Log-in. When I finally DO get into a zone, even in the most unpopulated areas I am getting the Red text "SERVER NOT RESPONDING (Time in seconds)" at the top of the screen. This pops up on average between every 10-30 seconds.

There is nothing currently wrong with my connection to the net. City of Heroes plays just fine. No muss no fuss.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just found something interesting. The problem may not be me OR CO. But a major trunkline between me and the CO servers that's suffering major packet loss.

(I'm still not happy about certain things like the ENTIRE LORE TAB going missing though! REALLY Cryptic?)

EDIT: Okay. I overreacted out of sheer frustration and I apologize for that.

According to a friend of mine on the COH boards:
    My roomie and some other CO players did some trace-route research, and there's an issue with two pipeline providers, Time Warner and Cogent, who are for some reason losing a crap ton of packets in their data hand-off. A Time Warner engineer (not a support tech) has the trace route data from the players and has opened an investigation as of last night.

So apparently that's the likely issue with the lag and the drops.

Anybody know where the CO server farms are? I heard on the East Coast, maybe Boston. That being the case, that would explain why as this was happening, City of Heroes was still running smooth as glass for me, because THOSE servers are here in Texas where I am! My connection to them was coming from a different (and much more stable) connection.

*Sigh* one more thing to miss about CoH when it goes away, at least for me.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    *Sigh* one more thing to miss about CoH when it goes away, at least for me.

The same thing could happen to the line that feeds into the CoX servers however.
  • Options
    koendianskoendians Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm glad it wasn't you or CO! :)

For the record, I do know that there are some games that don't work with some computers, yet work perfectly fine with other computers. Meanwhile, these 'faulty' computers work fine with other games, even if said other games don't work well with the other computers! :p

Would it be possible for CO to put more than one server farm in different places?
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm glad it wasn't you or CO! :)

For the record, I do know that there are some games that don't work with some computers, yet work perfectly fine with other computers. Meanwhile, these 'faulty' computers work fine with other games, even if said other games don't work well with the other computers! :p

Would it be possible for CO to put more than one server farm in different places?

Realistically whilst maintaining the 'serverless' environment, not really. they'd have to remove the serverless environment (which is one of the games biggest strengths IMO) or you'd be randomly assigned a server and never be sure if you're on a nearby server or a distant one.
  • Options
    kancorreeperkancorreeper Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So... Given that a company called Nexon which is in a strategic partnership with Perfect World bought out a ton of NCSoft stock just before Paragon Studios and COH's inexplicable shutdown in spite of the fact that:

* COH was making a steady 10 mil a year (yes, by making I mean 'grossing')
    * There was a highly anticipated content expansion right around the corner
    * Paragon had other projects in the works

... why on earth would I make the switch to this game or any game from this company? I mean clearly they have no faith in their own product or they'd be content to compete rather than pull stunts like this and having gotten a raw deal from one superhero MMO publisher with zero ethics or concept of 'PR' why would I go with this one, who appears to have set the whole thing off. I have every intention of doing everything in my power to make this blow up in Perfect World's face.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Given that a company called Nexon which is in a strategic partnership with Perfect World...

Holy paranoia Batman...

The strategic partnership was set up to get PWE a bigger footprint in Korea and would have nothing to do with any US based game.

Plus the very idea that Nexon would buy a bunch of NCSoft stock, and then somehow use it to force NCSoft to shut down CoX is more then a bit far fetched. They'd need controlling interest to pull something like that off.

Then why would they? So somehow PWE can make more money off of CO, money that is somehow shuffled off to another company? Pretty sure that would qualify as fraud in most locations.

It's also not like NCSoft has never done something like this before. In fact this is at least the 3rd US Based game they've shut down like this.

But feel free to go on a crusade if you wish, it's not like you'll actually be able to accomplish anything, because lets be honest. You have no power what so ever to effect PWE or see that this blows up in their face.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So... Given that a company called Nexon which is in a strategic partnership with Perfect World bought out a ton of NCSoft stock just before Paragon Studios and COH's inexplicable shutdown in spite of the fact that:

* COH was making a steady 10 mil a year (yes, by making I mean 'grossing')
    * There was a highly anticipated content expansion right around the corner
    * Paragon had other projects in the works

... why on earth would I make the switch to this game or any game from this company? I mean clearly they have no faith in their own product or they'd be content to compete rather than pull stunts like this and having gotten a raw deal from one superhero MMO publisher with zero ethics or concept of 'PR' why would I go with this one, who appears to have set the whole thing off. I have every intention of doing everything in my power to make this blow up in Perfect World's face.

WOW David Duchovny is posting in the CO forums.

Dave can you autograph my chest for me.

Also as a long time CoX player myself I am calling you out on BS both Paragon and Cryptic have said themselves that this idea is BS. Cryptic are still very proud of CoX hell its the first thing you see on their website :/

Take it your the same peep that tried this on CoX forums also blaming everyone except NCSOFT you got shot down there as well...yeah GW2 forums over them thar hills idiot.

*EDIT* I had to highlight the funneh part ...man reading that makes me laugh. LOL
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Cryptic are still very proud of CoX hell its the first thing you see on their website :/

If only Cryptic could do something about it. Given that it is the first thing on their website, I'm actually a little bit skeptical that they sold all of their rights to CoH to NCSoft.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    If only Cryptic could do something about it. Given that it is the first thing on their website, I'm actually a little bit skeptical that they sold all of their rights to CoH to NCSoft.

They still own the engine but thats all they could in theory make another City with Heroes but it wouldnt be City of Heroes.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    --This post has been edited to remove material that violates the Perfect World community guidelines. ~TrailTurtle
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yougan wrote: »
    i did do something, i warned to get the hell out of here.
    better to play a game that is fun then to put up to this crap and the community here is no exception, worst game EVER.

cryptic, if you like praises and delete critics then i have a suggestion, give my money back and go KILL YOUR SELF.
    it's really simple, you know my bank NR so all you have to do is send the full 260 euros on my back, remove my CO account for all i care, you can choke in it.:mad:

When the community is being welcoming and warming to new players and you turn around and call the community terrible and show open hostility... you know what, I refuse to feed the trolls. :P

The game is fun and, while it could use more content, it has an awesome customization and the Devs and players are definitely friendly. Been having a blast chatting in zone chat.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    photonhammerphotonhammer Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    better to play a game that is fun then to put up to this crap and the community here is no exception, worst game EVER.

cryptic, if you like praises and delete critics then i have a suggestion, give my money back and go KILL YOUR SELF.
    it's really simple, you know my bank NR so all you have to do is send the full 260 euros on my back, remove my CO account for all i care, you can choke in it.:mad:

really??? so despite the helpful and warm reception that all of us CoX refugees have gotten from this game, you just want to turn around and spit in everyone's face?

well, lucky for me, I DON'T have a bad case of rectal cranial inversion, and although i realize that CO is NOT CoX, it has plenty of it's own merits and am enjoying my time here. and if i decide that i no longer like this game and want to move on, it won't be because the community wasn't welcoming, or that the devs were somehow evil, or that the game was inherently flawed. it's just different, and maybe it will hold my interest for a long time and maybe it won't, but i fail to see how that is the fault of anyone associated with the game itself.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yougan is simply bitter because he somehow feels its cryptics fault that he paid for a lifetime of a game he simply doesn't enjoy.

And instead of simply understanding he has the power to walk away. He would rather seek justification, that his misplaced anger is valid, by pretending he can somehow be the voice that can bring the whole game down.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I notice three things,

1. You don't like the game.
    2. You like to troll.
    3. You keep up the fine tradition of trolling on the weekend when the official mods don't post.

Newsflash

1. Community moderators like smackwell don't have set hours.
    2. I created this thread not for trolls like you, but to help people who are actually willing to give the game a chance.

I am going to ask nicely to keep your vitriol out of my thread, if you feel so desperate to post your opinions on the game then create your own thread, don't bring down the tone of this one.
  • Options
    danteandersendanteandersen Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a question; how do you turn on chat logs in this game? I like to have chat logs in case of potential griefers and have evidence for GMs if there is an incident, but cannot find the options for it anywhere in the menu. Any help would be appreciated. CoH at least had a "Enable chat logging" choice in the options menu, and I'd like that functionality here as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I have a question; how do you turn on chat logs in this game? I like to have chat logs in case of potential griefers and have evidence for GMs if there is an incident, but cannot find the options for it anywhere in the menu. Any help would be appreciated. CoH at least had a "Enable chat logging" choice in the options menu, and I'd like that functionality here as well.

I might be wrong but I dont think CO has chat logs.

YOUGAN wrote:

it's really simple, you know my bank NR so all you have to do is send the full 260 euros on my back, remove my CO account for all i care, you can choke in it.

Most PtP mmo's are not as good as CO and your telling the devs to go kill themselves . Having a family member that did actually kill themselves I can tell you its isnt somthing that should be said in anger or jest ...no one forced you to buys a LTS seriously grow up .

*Edited due to this being BD's thread for helping people. For once not letting my anger get the better of me*
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    People, please try to stop feeding the troll... I know it's tempting to point out what a jerk he's being (and he deserves it frankly), but it's clear he's just wanting the negative attention.

There's a big difference between criticizing Cryptic (which should be allowed) and yelling for somebody to kill themselves (which is a clear death threat and should be potentially bannable if a repeat offense, as this person is apparently repeatedly offending after being warned). Sheesh, even when I get up in flames at somebody I'm never going telling them to go kill themselves, come on... that's crossing the line big time. Take a chill pill and go for a walk if you're that angry. Uninstall the game even.

nepht wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I dont think CO has chat logs.

Actually I believe it does, but it's on server-side only, and I'm not sure how far back the history on it is kept (you'd have to ask a GM, and I'm not sure they'd divulge that info). Sorry if that's not answering your question satisfactorily, danteandersen.

:-/
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    All right, I have a change of subject.

One of my and my best friend's favorite parts of CoH is the enemy groups. My personal favorite enemy groups are the facist organizations: the Council, Arachnos, 5th Column, Malta. I have two questions.

1. CO's Arachnos analog is VIPER. Do the Council, 5th Column, etc. have analogues that I just don't know about, or is VIPER what we got in CO?

2. Where can my friend and I go to take missions fighting against VIPER (and any other facist groups I don't know about)?

:)
  • Options
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All right, I have a change of subject.

One of my and my best friend's favorite parts of CoH is the enemy groups. My personal favorite enemy groups are the facist organizations: the Council, Arachnos, 5th Column, Malta. I have two questions.

1. CO's Arachnos analog is VIPER. Do the Council, 5th Column, etc. have analogues that I just don't know about, or is VIPER what we got in CO?

2. Where can my friend and I go to take missions fighting against VIPER (and any other facist groups I don't know about)?

:)

I think VIPER is more similar to Council/5th Column than Arachnos. At least they share similar roots.

ARGENT feels like Crey/Malta mixture.

DEMON is similar to my favorite CoH enemy group, Circle of Thorns.

Westside gangs = Hellions, Trolls and other street gangs.

Qularr and Gadroon are CO's answer to Rikti.

Tho' those are my opinions on groups.

Here you can learn more about Champions Lore with this link: Thundrax's Lore Primer.

That is one good read even it is directed for RP crowd, I think everyone who cares a bit about their character's back story should read it. CoH and CO are different worlds and both have their own flavor.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Possibly the closest we have to the Council/5th Column is Argent which is a paramilitary orginisation which is known to kidnap and brainwash new recruits although aspects of the 5th column can be seen in Viper as well.

The actual best analogue to Arachnos is Dr. Destroyer's forces, hundreds of robot and other faceless henchmen along with several named villains with powers far different from what low ranking members have.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Council, 5th Column and Arachnos are all off shoots of the same group. VIPER, in Champions, is based on HYDRA, which I guess in a way Arachnos is like as well. There is a character that Requiem would be like, called Baron Nihil, but he has yet to actually appear in Champions at this time.

ARGENT would probably be closer to Malta, in this respect. But that's all relative.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In my mind, VIPER = Cobra Corps. :tongue:

Supreme Serpent = Cobra Commander

Too bad there's no Baroness though... :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thank you, Sidreus!

I had picked up that ARGENT was similar to Crey and DEMON was similar to the Circle of Thorns (Crey is probably my most favorite enemy group in CoH - I wish CoH had had more Crey-like enemy groups as well).

Does Dr. Destroyer have a faction? I looked for it on the CO wiki, and these groups are the names I encountered there.

Anyhow, back to my second question: where can my friend and I go/how can we get to have missions against these groups instead of the gangs we've been fighting?
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you, Sidreus!

I had picked up that ARGENT was similar to Crey and DEMON was similar to the Circle of Thorns (Crey is probably my most favorite enemy group in CoH - I wish CoH had had more Crey-like enemy groups as well).

Does Dr. Destroyer have a faction? I looked for it on the CO wiki, and these groups are the names I encountered there.

Anyhow, back to my second question: where can my friend and I go/how can we get to have missions against these groups instead of the gangs we've been fighting?

In PnP lore, Destroyer has agents as well as robots, and his group of minion villains, the Destroyers. Only a few members of the Destroyers have appeared in CO, and none of his agents.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I'll try and break it down a bit.

lvl 6-15 is typically westside which is the various gangs.

At ~lvl 15you can go do the Desert Crisis, which I highly recommend if you've not done it yet, it's a rather fun set of missions, mostly against irradiates. When you're done with that you'll fight the irradiates, then ghosts, then back to irradiates.

At that range you can also go to the north side of MC, and start fighting either gangs, some argent, PSI and Gadroons. There's typically some viper in there as well. Viper is on the south side of that section, Argent to the east. There's also a Viper base east of the Ren Center.

Canada has some Viper on the north and west side. South is Hunter-Patriot which are a para-military group. Farther south you get more Argent, and south west has Gadroon. To the East you get Undead/demons and Teleios.

The desert has a section devoted to cowboy robots, as well as several viper bases to the north-east. To the far east is Stronghold Prison.

After that... There's some Viper on Monster Island. Lemuria and Viboria Bay doesn't have much in the way of Viper that I remember.

Hope that helps some.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    OK, so the interesting missions then are level-dependent? (Makes sense)

What level should I be before taking on VIPER/ARGENT/Gadroon/Hunter-Patriot?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    OK, so the interesting missions then are level-dependent? (Makes sense)

Well yes and no. Groups like Viper and Argent seem to be scattered though out the leveling process, with Viper being a bit more common. I'd say about as common as the 5th was in CoX.

They don't always have a huge presence, but they seem to be just about every where. If you wanted to focus on them, here's the primary areas I can think of to find them.

North part of MC at around lvl 16 or so. East side of the desert, around 20ish, and there is a fair amount of stuff going on with them there. North side of Canada at around the low to mid 20's I think, again a fair amount of them there.

They have a nest in MC on the east side but I can't remember the level range for those missions.

They show up on Monster Island, but aren't a major group there.

They don't show up at all in Lemuria or Viboria bay that I remember. But I only did Lemuria once and that was like 2 years ago... :)

Then there's Serpents Lantern the AP, that's all Viper all the time.

So it's not like Viper is lvl 15-24, you tend to take them on pretty much from 15-40 more or less.

Argent is a bit less common, they're on the north side of MC, at the mid to upper teens, and again in the mid to upper 20's in Canada IIRC.

Hunter-Patriots are pretty much limited to the one arc in Canada.

Gadroons are about the same as Argent with about the same level ranges.

Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, I guess my question is more along the follows: where can I go to find arcs containing these enemies? What contacts do I speak to?
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012

the only logging the game client has is /combatlog 1|0. Which will log raw combat chat messages into a log file. There is/are program(s) which will allow you to crunch the damage to your's content.
  • Options
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, I guess my question is more along the follows: where can I go to find arcs containing these enemies? What contacts do I speak to?

If you want to tackle VIPER asap, go to Canada Crisis/Canada Wilderness at level 15.

However I strongly reccomend finishing West Side arc. While some missions on the arc are bit meh, last missions are worth all trouble.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Try http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

It lists the groups and contacts. But doesn't list which contacts go with which groups I don't think.

But then again, unlike CoX, you don't have as many contacts devoted to a given group. In CoX you had a contact that would give you all Circle of Thorn missions or all 5th Column missions.

In CO there's a few of those but as many.

For example, out in Snake Gulch there's Brandon Thomas, who has 5 missions he gives you. 3 of them are Viper, 2 are cowboy robots. They all tie into the story arc for that area however.

So it's not quite so cut and dried as it was in CoX where you could pick which contact you talked to based on which groups you wanted to face.

Best thing I think you could do, is look over the areas listed on the wiki. Find out which areas feature the groups you want to fight and then try to come up with a path to 40 that way.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    the only logging the game client has is /combatlog 1|0. Which will log raw combat chat messages into a log file. There is/are program(s) which will allow you to crunch the damage to your's content.

So there's no option to copy a chatlog of a regular channel?

That's disappointing from an RP/Story perspective. There have been quite a few times in COH where I've had an RP session with one or more people. And I used the /copychat command to transfer to the clipboard, and then copy/paste into a document file so that I could edit the dialogue together (or cut it apart as needed) and write it up as part of a story or scene.

Is there any way at all to do that? Some program that could interact with the game?

Hm. Maybe I should ask CORP about that? They're the RP gurus around here, right?
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    re: Making a log.

Generally what I've done is created a tab and selected only the following for inclusion: Local, Emote, Tell, and whatever IC channel you might be using for the game.

Periodically during the session, scroll down and highlight everything you want to record. That should make all the relevant text available for pasting into a txt or doc log, while ignoring the rest of the world. Paste relatively often, as DCs happen, or get a volunteer to do the same and act as backup.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cptvanor wrote: »
    But then again, unlike CoX, you don't have as many contacts devoted to a given group. In CoX you had a contact that would give you all Circle of Thorn missions or all 5th Column missions.

In CO there's a few of those but as many.

For example, out in Snake Gulch there's Brandon Thomas, who has 5 missions he gives you. 3 of them are Viper, 2 are cowboy robots. They all tie into the story arc for that area however.

So it's not quite so cut and dried as it was in CoX where you could pick which contact you talked to based on which groups you wanted to face.

What I've found is that this is because many times factions in CO have plans that influence others. For example, the cowboy robots are being controlled so that's why the overlap. There are missions like that in CoH, where you do a random oranbega assault in the middle of a long rikti arc or something, but it's very common in CO. Factions don't really exist in a vacuum here they are all interacting with each other.

Westside has the best example of that, but I have run into it over and over. That said, in Canada there are contacts that only give hunter patriot missions, one that only does Argent, one that only does viper, one that is purely gadroon, and two that only do Dr Telios, and the astral ravenspeaker is only necromancers. In the Desert the whole opening with like 8 contacts are all irradiates. It's not until you get to the ghost town that you find anything else. So there are still some that are focused.

Still, I like the mixing, and I like that stories acknowledge the main faction is not the only one in the world with plans for a given location.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Factions don't really exist in a vacuum here they are all interacting with each other.

Well put, and a great point. Very few of the groups don't have some sort of tie to other groups in CO.
    So there are still some that are focused.

True, but typically in CoX a single contact was worth a fair number of levels, around 4 levels IIRC, and you could quite often get by with only hitting up 2 or 3 contacts per that band of 4 levels.

Those contacts would typically focus pretty heavy on a single group, with maybe a mission or 3 per story arc that were against other types of enemies.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A hint that I haven't see yet. The "exit" button from mission instances is bury a bit. Hit 'J' to bring up missions window. Click the 'Crime Computer' button to bring up the Crime Computer window. Then select 'Leave Current Map' select and confirm it.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    A hint that I haven't see yet. The "exit" button from mission instances is bury a bit. Hit 'J' to bring up missions window. Click the 'Crime Computer' button to bring up the Crime Computer window. Then select 'Leave Current Map' select and confirm it.

Also, the crime computer is your contact's cell phone. Instead of running back to turn in the mission, just call them up and turn it in and pick the next one.

I don't like "j" for me this pulls up some wacked window with a calender. The crime computer is the middle blue icon on the left of your mini map. That's what I use. To use the cell phone capability, pick the "search for emergencies" and then all possible contacts are shown in alphabetical order with the title of every mission they can give you and the level of that mission.

There are a few that don't appear in the crime computer list: for instance the bigfoot contact in Canada or one of the manimals in Monster Island. because they don't have electricity I assume =)

I was SO SO SO very happy when I found this one out.
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Also, the crime computer is your contact's cell phone. Instead of running back to turn in the mission, just call them up and turn it in and pick the next one.

Something else I had no idea of. Thank you!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There are a few that don't appear in the crime computer list: for instance the bigfoot contact in Canada or one of the manimals in Monster Island. because they don't have electricity I assume =)

This is important. I think Kodiak in Westside is the same way IIRC.

And since later on there will be a few levels where the missions become thin on the ground, missing the breadcrumb missions or yellow exclamation point on the map means a bit of hunting for something to do.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
  • Options
    deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I originally had a full paid character that made it to level 20, was an armor blaster (ok, like war machine or iron man); once i went free to play it changed my archtype to grimoire? I had it fully outfitted with shoulder cannons and wrist blasters and the like.

If I pay again, how do it get all of that back (i.e. get my original powers back) without having to start all over.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Is there anything in CO where you can create your own missions like in COX?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    When I first tried champions a few years ago there weren't that many zones for players before level 30 I think (that ice world, the western world, a couple of others)..have they added zones in the last couple of years? Action was interesting but felt the content was lacking.

Also, how easy is it to get into an ad-hoc pickup group? Found that hard to get last time, are there specific channels for that?
  • Options
    ghostdoggghostdogg Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I originally had a full paid character that made it to level 20, was an armor blaster (ok, like war machine or iron man); once i went free to play it changed my archtype to grimoire? I had it fully outfitted with shoulder cannons and wrist blasters and the like.

If I pay again, how do it get all of that back (i.e. get my original powers back) without having to start all over.

Thanks!

Hmmmm, I don't know if you do. If you go Gold you will have accessd to a ton of costum designs off the get go, once you hit 10 i think. But it also unlocks alot of costums. When it comes to powers on silver accounts that where gold IDK. You will be able to customize all of your toon's powers though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If it weren't for whiskey the Irish would rule the world"
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is there anything in CO where you can create your own missions like in COX?

No, not yet. There are rumours about it, but nothing concrete, at least to my knowledge.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When I first tried champions a few years ago there weren't that many zones for players before level 30 I think (that ice world, the western world, a couple of others)..have they added zones in the last couple of years? Action was interesting but felt the content was lacking.

Also, how easy is it to get into an ad-hoc pickup group? Found that hard to get last time, are there specific channels for that?

The Zones have been balanced, rebalanced, and balanced again. While the total number has not increased there are a great many new missions in each, especially at lower levels., at least in M.C. and Canada.

As far as Ad Hoc gorups, you will want to look into Alerts. These are short missions, ranging from two minutes or less to 20 to 30 min. or more for the longer ones. These are all pick up missions with random groups. While you can technically start as soon as Level 7 I would strongly recommend that you wait until you have hit 15 or higher.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, so is there anything like a RESPEC like in CoX where you can totally respecify your powers? Guess I'm concerned that I'd hate to restart from scratch since I got my character to level 20. I forgot the power sets but it was armor i thought and maybe gadgets.. I also noticed now it seems there are archtypes similar to CoX vs. being able to pick powers freeform, can you still do freeform characters?
    ghostdogg wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I don't know if you do. If you go Gold you will have accessd to a ton of costum designs off the get go, once you hit 10 i think. But it also unlocks alot of costums. When it comes to powers on silver accounts that where gold IDK. You will be able to customize all of your toon's powers though.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, so is there anything like a RESPEC like in CoX where you can totally respecify your powers? Guess I'm concerned that I'd hate to restart from scratch since I got my character to level 20. I forgot the power sets but it was armor i thought and maybe gadgets.. I also noticed now it seems there are archtypes similar to CoX vs. being able to pick powers freeform, can you still do freeform characters?

Freeform characters can be accessed by either subscribing or purchasing a Freeform slot ($50).

You can change Archtype (including freeform if your gold or made an AT in a Freeform slot) by purchasing a RETRAIN token, you can change your freeform powers or your choices in AT (Travel powers, Skills, Talents and Choice powers) with a RESPEC token or with resources. You also gain a Free RESPEC at 40 and some veteran reward levels.

EDIT: You also gain a free retrain for all characters once on an account (to switch to freeform or an AT when going from Silver to Gold or vice versa), you can switch characters between Gold and Silver whenever you want so long as it is a free AT or you've paid to unlock it as a silver player and keep the same AT.
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    what a wonderful list of channels
    as owner of -the collective- channel, I think i would list us as
    "A social and knowledgeable channel for mature players"
    mature meaning we know what bills are :)

we have already added a few CoX players to the channel
    and i hope all of you have a great time playing CO