test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transitioning from CoH

bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
Hello everyone who's decided to make the jump from CoX to CO, this thread is to assist in helping those who are coming her from CoX to make the transition as painless as possible.

1. What are all these numbers?

Unlike in CoX where the original intention was to keep the numbers hidden, in CO they made all the numbers open to everyone, you can hover over a ability score to see it's effects, or if you want more detailed information you can check Lhor's excellent wiki (bookmark it now!)

2. I screwed up my freeform build, what do I do?

Ok, first take a deep breath, then head down to the powers and builds forum a few sections down, also remember that so long as you use the powerhouse and stay in it when choosing new powers then retconning out of them is free.

3. Custom Channels how too.

To access custom channels simply right click a channel tab, select channels and type the channel you want to join or create, if you created the channel or have admin permissions you can access them here as well.

4. Roleplay help

The main area for roleplay is club caprice in Ren Center, if you want help getting into roleplay I hear Corp are pretty friendly.(Linky)

5. Building a Supergroup

Get a team of 5 players together who have full chat access (pretty simple if you passed the tutorial) and have someone go to the Champions HQ (the building shaped like a giant C in Millennium City) and talk to the clerk at the desk to register your new supergroup.

6. Costume Contests when and where

Most costume contests these days are held in the Powerhouse Theater (entry on the right side as you enter the powerhouse) if you're going to become a regular join the Contests channel as the Message of the Day lists all the regular contests and event contests as well as being the main place that impromptu contests are announced.

7. What do I get for going gold?

Gold members have unlimited access to freeform, at least 8 character slots, the ability to tint their powers, veteran rewards (earned every 100 days) access to all ATs, and access to the following costume sets for free - Demon Knight, High Plains Drifter, Legacy Power Armor, Martial Arts Master, Ninja Warrior, Pharaonic Master, Sakura Mecha Armor, Shining Knight, Soldier of Fortune, Spartan Armor, Variety Pack, Viking Warrior and Wired Cyborg - as well as the following travel powers - Ice Slide, Swinging, Tunneling, Jet Boots, Rocket Jump, Fire Flight, Earth Flight and Hover Disk. They also get to pick a free hideout from the original 4 ( Industrial Cave, Mom's Basement, Sci-Fi Moonbase and Mystic Sanctum.

8. What Z-Store Items unlock per-character and which are account wide?

Ok, going to actually list this one, the following items unlock account wide

• Costume Sets
  • Travel Powers
  • Archtypes
  • Shared Bank Slots
  • Account Costume Slots
  • Hideouts
  • Action Figures

Character Slots and Freeform Character slots don't vanish upon deleting the characters within, and a normal character slot on a gold account can be used for freeform.

Everything else is per character.

jorifice1's suggestions (my comments in yellow)

1) you don't get full access to the Character Creator until either 6 or 10 (can't remember which and the time it takes to level from 6 to 10 is a matter of maybe an hour or two).

Yes there's 2 conflicting views on this, some people say it's unlocked when you finish the tutorial, others when you hit level 10, as he said though the difference between level 6 and 10 is an hour or 2 at most.

2)you get to create your Nemesis at level 25.

Yup, and IIRC Defender now has a mission that points you in the correct direction to make a nemesis.

3)consider avoiding Alerts until around level 15ish.

Whilst alerts aren't complicated, most players (especially ATs) don't have the powers needed to complete an alert until about level 15, especially a timed alert. That's not to say that you can't join one below six so long as you know what you're doing,

4)most important of all: no matter what anyone else says, if you are having fun, then you are doing it right!

This to the power of infinity.

Useful channels to join (thanks to agentnx5)

"trade" -- WTS/WTB/WTT (sell/buy/trade) here, as well as check on seller reliability, debate on pricing, and ask for price checks on items which you can't find on the AH.

"coPvP" -- The place to go "OMG 1 more for Bash to launch please!" and talk with other hardcore PvP-ers about freeform build design or otherwise have a good time with people who are more serious about their PvP play. (also the place where you'll see Forz being sardonic on a regular basis and where "shut up Ryder" is a sign of friendly familiarity)

"-The Collective-" -- a private channel for traders and collectors (of actions figures, rare items, and costume unlocks that is). Due to the level of friendship & trust there, most people in it are on a first-name basis.

"coRP" -- roleplayers united! If you've got a talent for acting, this might be your place of choice and a good way to get connected with private RP groups (where you'll actually find the best RP in the game). Club Caprice is often the entry-point for RP action, but the best quality RP you're going to find is held elsewhere in the game with private RP-focused supergroups.

"shame" -- a new channel dedicated to putting a dent into the repeat offenders who steal in trades (although the safest way to trade only via the Auction House)

Other useful channels -

CoX - A place for those who've left CoX for CO. (The CoX Refugees channel is now defunct as we're attempting to merge everyone into a single channel)

Talkytalk - general chat channel (EvilTaco)

Contests - Mentioned above, the place all costume contests are announced.

Wiki Link

Provided thanks to cybersoldier1981

I see [Some Player/NPC/Mob] wearing [Some costume piece], but I don't have it in the Tailor and it's not in the C-store, either. Why is this?

There are certain enemies in CO that drop costume unlocks. Some of these are the Lemurians, VIPER soldiers, and the enemies in Vibora Bay among others. A good way to find out is to use this:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

You can go through costumes and look and find out what drops costume pieces and such. Comes in handy.

However, there are some things- mostly swords and guns, that are no longer available. These were part of the old system and were power replace/enhance abilities or something. I have many of them, and while they are gone now, the Devs have hinted at bringing them back.

How do I make a good freeform build?

I will say this- as long as your powers are based off your primary or secondary super-stats, you can't really go wrong mixing and matching. Sure, what you may end up with might not be effective, but as long as you have fun with your powers, you're good. My personal advice is to ALWAYS test out your powers in the powerhouse before you leave. Make sure you've got a good balance of things and can sustain yourself. Heals are a must, so are energy unlocks.

And that's all I have to say, I apologise for not having more information on builds and stuff but if anyone wants they can feel free to add to the guide below and I'll edit this post to reflect there addition.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    3. I say this in MC Zone chat from time to time when I see that FAQ arise:
    "Click this chat bubble icon thingy
    >"
    "Go to the options , chat channel tab"
    "Search / Join {name}"

Well-known chat channels open to all:

"trade" -- WTS/WTB/WTT (sell/buy/trade) here, as well as check on seller reliability, debate on pricing, and ask for price checks on items which you can't find on the AH. This is a very well-known channel that's useful to everybody who needs to buy & sell pricey items, without having to deal with the stupidity frequently found in Zone chat.

"coPvP" -- The place to go "OMG 1 more for Bash to launch please!" and talk with other hardcore PvP-ers about freeform build design or otherwise have a good time with people who are more serious about their PvP play. (also the place where you'll see Forz being sardonic on a regular basis and where "shut up Ryder" is a sign of friendly familiarity)

"-The Collective-" -- a private channel for traders and collectors (of actions figures, rare items, and costume unlocks that is). Due to the level of friendship & trust there, most people in it are on a first-name basis.

"coRP" -- roleplayers united! If you've got a talent for acting, this might be your place of choice and a good way to get connected with private RP groups (where you'll actually find the best RP in the game). Club Caprice is often the entry-point for RP action, but the best quality RP you're going to find is held elsewhere in the game with private RP-focused supergroups.

"shame" -- a new channel dedicated to putting a dent into the repeat offenders who steal in trades (although the safest way to trade only via the Auction House)

Also, Costume Contests are good to attend, even if you just want to see some of the amazing creativity of other players, which is what I often do. Any Costume Contests I won was accidental, I'll go just to see the designs others have come up with. Occasionally I've encountered a cool idea which inspires me. The only other thing I'll say about them is always be respectful to the host, don't be "that guy" (the troll who come in to ruin other's fun). Also if there is "that guy" at the Costume Contest, pay them no heed.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Gold members have unlimited access to freeform, at least 8 costume slots...
    Just wanted to correct this typo, as the distinction is important - that's CHARACTER slots. Each character starts with one costume slot; you can get another by joining a supergroup, and Golds get one for free at (IIRC) level 21. You can also purchase more costume slots, if you want to dress up that much... :smile:

Golds also get one new character slot every time one of their toons hits level 40 - this is not true of Silvers, sadly.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One thing I found, moving CoH to CO years ago, is that the chat system is a lot better in CO.

It's not GREAT, but wow, I loathe CoH's chat system.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    l7zergel7zerge Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This seems like a great place for asking questions it seems, for us transitioning CoH players.

First, the interface, I can change some things by using F12 but there's other tweaks I'm not sure about. In CoH you could create "child" windows from other windows, like the Nav window, the Chat window, and the Power tray. This let you have, say, power bars on the side of the screen and the middle, or multiple chat tabs open at once as separate windows. Would also be grand to be able to resize the map. Unless my mouse is screwy, it doesn't appear to be drag-to-scale friendly like the chat window.

Anything like this possible? If so, how?
    edited September 2012
    I also wanna do a bit of a self plug for Talkytalk. It's where you can chat if you just wanna bs with some other players, or have general questions that don't fit anywhere else. We're laid back, and I only mod when people are being abusive to other members.

I'm gonna log in in a few and start a CoH transition channel, so the crossover players can find old friends/ask questions/get help/etc... I'm looking for channel mods, so anyone interested send me a tell in game, or let me know somehow.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    l7zerge wrote: »
    This seems like a great place for asking questions it seems, for us transitioning CoH players.

First, the interface, I can change some things by using F12 but there's other tweaks I'm not sure about. In CoH you could create "child" windows from other windows, like the Nav window, the Chat window, and the Power tray. This let you have, say, power bars on the side of the screen and the middle, or multiple chat tabs open at once as separate windows. Would also be grand to be able to resize the map. Unless my mouse is screwy, it doesn't appear to be drag-to-scale friendly like the chat window.

Anything like this possible? If so, how?

In a nutshell? No. You can't really change much in the ui unless it's readily apparent.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    K guys, pass it around. I started the channel "CoX Refugees" to help our new friends out. If you're interested in helping or modding, lemme know. Let's see what we can do to make the transition work more smoothly. :biggrin:
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would like to be the first to nominate this thread for a Sticky!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    K guys, pass it around. I started the channel "CoX Refugees" to help our new friends out. If you're interested in helping or modding, lemme know. Let's see what we can do to make the transition work more smoothly. :biggrin:

Definitely interested, if you'll have me. Also I can't guarantee you a time I'll be online in-game, possibly tomorrow. Forums are going to be my primary communication for this game for the time being.
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    I would like to be the first to nominate this thread for a Sticky!

That's kind of you but it needs some editing (i.e.: Jonsilis's comment) and needs a lot more detail before I feel it's sticky worthy. Take a look at the build guides in the Combat & Powers forum to see what I mean by detail. I'm also not a big fan of yellow main-body text, but that's a personal aesthetic preference (yellow = cautionary highlighting to me, red = warning highlighting or Red&Green for Pro&Con or Yes&No color coding).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    A couple more things to add
    1) you don't get full access to the Character Creator until either 6 or 10 (can't remember which and the time it takes to level from 6 to 10 is a matter of maybe an hour or two).
    2)you get to create your Nemesis at level 25.
    3)consider avoiding Alerts until around level 15ish.
    4)most important of all: no matter what anyone else says, if you are having fun, then you are doing it right!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    steeldefiantsteeldefiant Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the info i'm a transitioning COX player, I played on Champion server otherwise known as the Community server under the global @SteelDominator. I've always loved playing hero-type MMO so it only made sense to come here. I'm looking forward to playgin with anyone, so if you know me or just wanna say just give a shout-out or a simple hi.

Truthfully i'm not sure how long i'll be here but I just start my sub so only time will tell. Ill tell you though that i'm already liking it becuase i'm new at this game. Thanks for having me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Formerly @SteelDominator in COH
    Proud member of Earthguard SG/Phoenix Phalanx
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    K, Agent? Totally, when you join message me. @eviltaco. Everyone else? if you're down, send me that message and join channel or just ping me in channel and lemme know. As well? I started a supergroup for the new players. Paragon Alliance. Every new player has invite privileges, for the moment, so we can build up and get everyone settled. Just ask in channel and we'll give you an invite. I'm gonna try to talk to everyone about the leadership hierarchy, right now I'm in charge of the sg, but I wanna do what I can to give as much power to the CoX players as possible. I gather a few other people started stuff like this, so if you wanna network? Let me know, I feel like combining forces is best for everyone.

I want a bit of consolidation with this thread and the rp thread for CoX players, so we can get everyone involved ASAP. Any of you guys connected to CORP or RP sgs? I wanna start an event to get the CoX people introduced to the community. Lemme know, somehow, if we can set this up. I'd love it if we can get some emissaries from the major rp sgs to come out and play with the CoX rpers, to get them comfortable in the community.

I'm working on the forums for the SG, as well, so we can post guides and such. I wanna take this opportunity to give a nod and plug to the proboards. http://champions-online.proboards.com/ It's another GREAT resource for free or new players to learn a bit more about the game, complete with power guides.

This *definitely* needs a sticky. CoX players are going to be the future of CO. We need to take care of them, and give them a warm welcome. I know a lot of you are on board, so let's do this. :smile:
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    K, Agent? Totally, when you join message me. @eviltaco.

Will do. :smile:

I've also been asking Lohr if she needs help with the Wiki for ages, but she always deleted or didn't notice my PMs I think so I gave up lol :tongue:
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One thing that I've done to make the transition process easier on myself is to change the keybinds so the game has CoH-like controls (or at least the ones I use).
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some other FAQ (That I had coming in, at least)

I see [Some Player/NPC/Mob] wearing [Some costume piece], but I don't have it in the Tailor and it's not in the C-store, either. Why is this?

There are certain enemies in CO that drop costume unlocks. Some of these are the Lemurians, VIPER soldiers, and the enemies in Vibora Bay among others. A good way to find out is to use this:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

You can go through costumes and look and find out what drops costume pieces and such. Comes in handy.

However, there are some things- mostly swords and guns, that are no longer available. These were part of the old system and were power replace/enhance abilities or something. I have many of them, and while they are gone now, the Devs have hinted at bringing them back.

I will say this- as long as your powers are based off your primary or secondary super-stats, you can't really go wrong mixing and matching. Sure, what you may end up with might not be effective, but as long as you have fun with your powers, you're good. My personal advice is to ALWAYS test out your powers in the powerhouse before you leave. Make sure you've got a good balance of things and can sustain yourself. Heals are a must, so are energy unlocks.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    epelesker wrote: »
    One thing that I've done to make the transition process easier on myself is to change the keybinds so the game has CoH-like controls (or at least the ones I use).

yep. set your left/right keys to turn, and set your camera to follow. Good call. :D
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Go to the powers forum and ask for advice on your build. use this to start: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

Solid advice, all around.

also, blue? Dang, you shoulda mentioned you were you. I'll mod you in channel asap.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My suggestion to newly-joining CoX players:

I know how the keyboard and mouse was the only way to play CoX, but if you have a Xbox 360 controller lying around, plug it in and give it a try for CO. You may come to like it. Many powers in this game have no recharge timers and will require you to spam them like an arcade shooter, which works best for controllers. If you stick with the default keyboard controls, it may be awkward to be using the same hand for WSAD for movement and the horizontal number keys for powers at the same time.

If you manage to set up a keyboard configuration that gives you the best enjoyment out of the game, then by all means go ahead with that.
  • Options
    thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Remember the weekly dev chats and info sessions you grew to love over in city of heroes?

Dont expect that here. That is the best advice I can give as a eight year COX vet, and a lifetime subscriber to Champs.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Other than thelast being a pessimistic person doing his best to be hateful and spiteful for no reason, a lot of sound advice in here.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    damz1damz1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    *Makes note to read this thread when i get home tonight*
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Another transitioning CoX player here. Great thread folks and will certainly look at joining the SG when I log on tonight. I've gone Silver to start with (just to get a feel for the game) and have two characters at lowbie level. Liking it so far, although I'm dying a lot as I learn the ropes.:biggrin:

I've been an RPG gamer for decades and used to run PnP Champions when it first came out, so some of the content is vaguely familiar.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There is a LOT of good information here.

Good move making this a sticky.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Other than thelast being a pessimistic person doing his best to be hateful and spiteful for no reason, a lot of sound advice in here.

Am I wrong though?

I do admit I don't give this game much attention lately, has cryptic ramped up the communication in my absence?

That's really great to hear, mind linking me?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Another transitioning CoX player here. Great thread folks and will certainly look at joining the SG when I log on tonight. I've gone Silver to start with (just to get a feel for the game) and have two characters at lowbie level. Liking it so far, although I'm dying a lot as I learn the ropes.:biggrin:
    If you die fifty times, you get the title, "Dead As a Doornail". I think a hundred gets you the title, "Ex-Parrot". So, even dying in CO has its rewards! :)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thalast1 wrote: »
    Am I wrong though?

I do admit I don't give this game much attention lately, has cryptic ramped up the communication in my absence?

That's really great to hear, mind linking me?

No, it's been a long time since we've had the level of communication like we did before.

But the thread is aimed towards helping Ex-CoX players make the transition to CO a little easier and got stickied because it's evident that it's useful enough for just that. Let's not derail it please.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    By the way, I don't know how many of our new friends from CoX know the background lore of the CO universe. There's rather a lot of it, really - but the one bit that's really quite important, but often assumed in the background (at least until you undertake the missions at the museum, but that doesn't happen until you're into your mid-levels).

In the summer of 1992, a madman named Dr. Destroyer attempted to hold the entire planet hostage with his Meteor Attractor. Those of Earth's heroes who could operate in space went to try to stop the incoming asteroids; the rest converged on Destroyer's headquarters, under the city of Detroit, MI. The battle was long, and bloody; many heroes died fighting Destroyer and his minions. At last, the villain was drained, battered, and about to fall, and his Meteor Attractor disabled - and in true villain style, Destroyer activated his final weapon, an Orbital Bombardment Cannon with an aperture a quarter of a mile wide, aimed squarely at the city above his HQ. Large sections of Detroit were destroyed; hundreds of heroes, and tens of thousands of innocent men, women, and children were killed in the Battle for Detroit. It was assumed that Destroyer perished in the beam as well - no body was ever recovered, but that was true of thousands of the dead that horrific day...

Over time, as the people sought to reclaim their lives, a new city was built on the ruins of the old - Millennium City, a "city of the future", self-consciously incorporating as many technological innovations as possible (including widespread access to the Champions' AI computer, SOCRATES). Renaissance Center was raised as a monument to all those who died that day.

Those of you into RP will notice the Battle for Detroit woven into quite a few backstories out there (even Defender, leader of the Champions, was inspired in part by the loss of his parents in Detroit). It's one of the defining moments for the Champions Online universe, right up there with the accidental unleashing of massive power into the world in the days leading up to WWII (there were superheroes before that, but not as many; when the power was released, it expressed itself in the widespread creation of supers). Yet for some reason, it's only mentioned peripherally in-game for quite some time, as if the characters wouldn't have all learned about it in school...

• Options
    vereskveresk Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hope I can find something suitable here to play with. I was always picky on CoH about the powersets already. :C

But it's good to find such a infomation thread sticked on top on this forum regarding CoH players coming here.
    Just, get ready to be bombed with questions.:tongue:

Former CoH Player. - Paradox Fate
    Current Character - Crescent[?]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awesome thread Darky I will be sending my buddies form CoX here first ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    updated the first post with more info.
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    awesome thread overall... hope we can get a sticky or at least keep it bumped for the next few months

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    awesome thread overall... hope we can get a sticky or at least keep it bumped for the next few months

It already is stickied.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    It already is stickied.

Whoop, there's a typo in my post, if you don't mind correcting it:

It's "-The Collective-", not "The Collective". Minor syntax error, but it's not the same channel if you don't.

Any of the following admins can give you access:
    (The only two rules are: show maturity & respect for others, and willingness to be on a first real name basis; it's a community not a clan, so supergroups are welcome. The more the merrier! And yes, it's a really good place to trade, team up, or get information/advice without the stupidity or trolling of Zone chat)
    @-Seismic-
    @agentx5 (that's me! :biggrin:)
    @Arti
    @Ashlocke
    @biostem
    @Boukan
    @CelticGamer
    @cfaith06
    @danntann
    @dedeyesamurai
    @Doc_Nova
    @DrivenInsane
    @Fintan
    @forgerofsouls
    @GhostHack
    @HawsmoorSD
    @HuntingU
    @||_SHINOBI_||
    @Jack0fSpades (also famous on the forums)
    @JazinBlaze
    @jasinblasing (owner, and thus who you'd take any complaints to)
    @JoaoSS_1
    @KageNoOni
    @katasyntax
    @Liquidata (nicest lady in the game IMHO)
    @MsDelilah (also a nice lady)
    @Nemesis_Wolfheart
    @RoninNemesis
    @rowdygirl
    @RuprechtVanDoom
    @smlprdd (aka. Astrocat)
    @SOLSTICE70
    @suteeee
    @Takeda_Ujio (I don't think he sleeps)
    @tardstomper
    @The_Slapperfish
    @Vizzone (aka. Lee Tosi, which many of you here know already)
    @Whitesquall
    @WooleyMoran
    @Xadrek (co-founder)
    @XMTSX (owner of the Sector-Thirteen.com Ventrilo gaming community)
  • Options
    thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is a really great thread for the CoX folks. I'd like to help with what I can.

CORP was mentioned in the early posts and I recommend joining the community. I'm one of the admins there and am happy to help folks who are adjusting to the new game, just shoot me a PM on here or on the CORP forums. My handle in-game is @Reldin and you can easily spot me on the CORP forums just by seeing my name, hah.

For those looking to learn about the lore for Champions. Here is a little link that you can check out. It was compiled by one of our CORPers and he is also one of the writers/creators of the Champions lore: Thundrax.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHmfdC4jXPpVjVCT3g1SjFTbHM/edit

This is for folks who can't afford to buy the source books and are still interested in checking out the lore. It's a nice little source that offers a timeline of important events and details about the Champions Universe. We also have a handful of people who would be happy to answer any questions about the Champions lore. Both here and on the CORP forums there are sections to ask any questions regarding the lore, so definitely feel free to use them!

For people who are looking to learn about the modification system that CO introduced with the On Alert update, here is a little guide written by another one of our CORPers: @swedsman

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1219247

It's a very detailed guide explaining everything about the mods and how to use them. This will be helpful if the in-game tutorial wasn't much help.+

And finally, I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but people looking for a "Mid's" type build helper, we currently have Powerhouse. This is a great resource for people looking to create a build before they level it. Also remember that we have the Public Test Server for you to test your builds out on. (I'm not sure if it's open to everyone or just Gold/subscribed members though.)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh, hey, agent. Can I have an invite to the collective? lol there's no way I'm gonna be able to copy/paste that list into game, and I can't alt tab because Vista. :(

Good to see a sticky on this, it's a fantastic resource for CoX players and just new people alike.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I remember getting a Champions book, long ago, that included Ronald Regan as a T-rex.

(It was a wacky book of alternate uniforms. Some funny, some not so much!)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thereldin wrote: »
    For those looking to learn about the lore for Champions. Here is a little link that you can check out. It was compiled by one of our CORPers and he is also one of the writers/creators of the Champions lore: Thundrax.

Bless you for this link. The last time I could find/afford Champs books was back in 3rd Edition.

• Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    This is an excellent thread, thank you for creating it and editing all that info into the first post.
  • Options
    lordwolfylordwolfy Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A couple other things that might have been left out:

1. Costume stuff that is not in the tailor: Some reasons previously stated was that it might be in the C-Store, some are in the Q-Store (that's questionite store that's located in the Ren Center and is the secondary currency of the game), some are costume unlocks from the past and some made it to the present as well, and then there are the lifetimer stuff. This included some costume unlocks and a few logos however there is on set that requires you to be a 900 day veteran and that's the bird people set.

2. If you are a gold member and have access to the PTS server (test server) then you can make your char. and test him out to see if it will work well. This has already been said but what has not been said is that you can go to a contact outside the Powerhouse and instantly give yourself a level boost all the way up to 40. No more waiting for the devs to grant level boosts..you can do it yourself!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh, hey, agent. Can I have an invite to the collective? lol there's no way I'm gonna be able to copy/paste that list into game, and I can't alt tab because Vista. :(

Good to see a sticky on this, it's a fantastic resource for CoX players and just new people alike.

Sure! If you don't find somebody else to help you first that is. :biggrin:

I know you already know several of the people on that list because they're on the forums quite a bit, so just jot the people you know down on a piece of paper (like a Post-It note) and do the "Hello my name is {first name}" thing like you typically do when you meet people on the street. Like I said, the more the merrier! PvP, casual PvE, hardcore PvE, RP, all-of-the-above, doesn't matter as long as people are mature and respectful. Feel free to bring some of your clan buddies too if you feel they can be mature and respectful (which you should always do around the ladies anyways right?)

As for me, I'm traveling a lot these days and my internet is typically crappy for gaming. So just because I'm able to access the forums a lot, doesn't mean I can stop in and say hello in-game on a regular, regrettably. (this is a temporary inconvenience) I was looking for you early evening btw, got on a bit to say hello and post some stuff on the AH, price check Gambler's Cores, and withdraw a boat-load of Questionite off the exchange market (Zen that came from doing surveys actually). :smile:

I added the channels I was missing that were mentioned in this thread. Typically, I have 3 chat tabs:
    • "Chat" which is everything on (and in M.C. on a busy day this scrolls rather fast)
    • "Limited" which is just rewards, tells, system, admin, local, team, teamup, trade, -The Collective-, and coPvP
    • "Combat" which is just a detailed live information feed on stuff that is happening only to me, and local chat.

I definitely recommend if you're new to the game coming from CoH to try out my 3-tab system. It's wonderfully simple! :cool:

The only bug you have to worry about is if team-chat isn't working right, then toggle your popdown menu (white triangle in the blue square icon) between local and team and it'll be working again. Nice little quick trick to get it working again that doesn't require logging out and back in, which is a hassle.

PS: I also color code with Zone being light grey, local being white, system & admin being red, team being green, trade being dark gray, tells being dark orange, and the two reward types being light blue and navy blue. It's much easier on the eyes with that contrast scheme (Zone is annoying in bright white text), but feel free to color code as you want.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Go to the powers forum and ask for advice on your build. use this to start: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html

This forum: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Also keep in mind, for freeforms, you certainly want to get at least one of each of these (with a few builds being exceptions):
    http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Buff_Self

Think of it like a checklist. :cool: On-next-hit is the most optional, the slotted passive is the most required.

PS: No, it's not crazy to get more than one slotted passive, especially if you set up your builds right so you can switch between roles. I've seen speciality power armor and telekinesis builds doing that. It allows them to switch between hardy tank and glass canon on the fly with only a 10 second cooldown between changes.
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thereldin wrote: »
    This is a really great thread for the CoX folks. I'd like to help with what I can.

CORP was mentioned in the early posts and I recommend joining the community. I'm one of the admins there and am happy to help folks who are adjusting to the new game, just shoot me a PM on here or on the CORP forums. My handle in-game is @Reldin and you can easily spot me on the CORP forums just by seeing my name, hah.

This is for folks who can't afford to buy the source books and are still interested in checking out the lore. It's a nice little source that offers a timeline of important events and details about the Champions Universe. We also have a handful of people who would be happy to answer any questions about the Champions lore. Both here and on the CORP forums there are sections to ask any questions regarding the lore, so definitely feel free to use them!

For people who are looking to learn about the modification system that CO introduced with the On Alert update, here is a little guide written by another one of our CORPers: @swedsman

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1219247

It's a very detailed guide explaining everything about the mods and how to use them. This will be helpful if the in-game tutorial wasn't much help.+

And finally, I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but people looking for a "Mid's" type build helper, we currently have Powerhouse. This is a great resource for people looking to create a build before they level it. Also remember that we have the Public Test Server for you to test your builds out on. (I'm not sure if it's open to everyone or just Gold/subscribed members though.)

WOW! Great stickied thread! I just added this to my Chrome as a permanent link.

You guys rock. Great to see such welcoming arms to former COH players. (Though I've been here playing this game on and off [family member got me a lifetime sub way back when] since the alpha build--it's gotten better, even if some of us think COH is still the best. :wink::tongue::smile:--nice to see the community here at work.)

That lore PDF is something I've been looking for. Thanks all!

And welcome to all my forum buddies from COH. This is Aura_Familia btw. :biggrin:

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One thing a lot of current players don't realize, you can turn in missions through the Crime Computer. Just open it up, it's one of the buttons on the mini map, and if you can find your contact (most contacts listed, but not all) you can turn in and pick up new missions that way. Saves a lot of time traveling back and forth. Sometimes the contact isn't easy to find though, searching for Chief Surhoff, he's under MCPD Chief Surhoff.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For those of us who are testing the waters with a free account, where do we go to get unvarnished and accurate descriptions of how the ATs compare against each other?

The wiki is ok, but it doesn't have comparisons, and the info mostly looks like official dev marketing speak, not player analysis and performance measurements.

For example, in CoX my much beloved first character was a broadsword/regen scrapper. About 5 months in I learned that I made a huge mistake believing the in-game description of those power sets. Had I gone Katana / Will Power I would have been more powerful in literally every measurable game metric (higher damage, greater survivability, less endurance usage, etc). I'm not knocking those sets and my bunny is still my favorite character... but I really wish I'd made a different choice out of the gate.

I know myself. If I become a lifetime player with dozens of alts I'll still have my two freebies in their original form and the odds are high I'll play them A LOT. I don't want to make that same mistake again. And the wiki does nothing to help.

So, where do I look?
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you're wanting to play an offensive toon, go Blade/Melee, or Soldier/Ranged.
    If you want a Defensive toon, go Glacier/Tank.

Anything else IMhO is sub par (compared to those 3) :wink:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    summereveningsummerevening Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1. What are all these numbers?

Unlike in CoX where the original intention was to keep the numbers hidden, in CO they made all the numbers open to everyone, you can hover over a ability score to see it's effects, or if you want more detailed information you can check Lhor's excellent wiki (bookmark it now!)

CoX actually had ridiculously transparent numbers. In fact, CO doesn't seem transparent enough. The detail descriptions are incredibly sparse and obtuse (actually, they're a lot like Champions tabletop in that respect). Even after playing through the tutorial I had no idea how to play my character or what my powers even did. Mostly, the "what are all these numbers" question might better be answered by explaining what those numbers do rather than why they are there; perhaps you could put a hotlink to this section of the wiki in this entry, since it's the most relevant to CoX players coming over? The stat hurdle was my big problem, and I'm still trying to get used to it.
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...perhaps you could put a hotlink to this section of the wiki in this entry, since it's the most relevant to CoX players coming over?...
    ATM i believe THIS is the pre-eminent thread on the numbers behind the curtain :wink:
    Maybe one day it will get translated to the wiki, but for now, here it is :biggrin:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Here's the thing.
    Just about every person you talk to will give you a different answer.
    Mostly because just about every possible combination is viable to some degree or other.
    Your best bet would to be ask which are the WORST.
    That will get you some info on which to avoid, at least for your first character or two.
    The Mind and the Grimoire come to mind.
    Mind you, both of these are perfectly playable, especially in group play, but they take a bit more practice and/or familiarity with the game. And a skilled player can absolutely DOMINATE with these (or any other) Archtype.
    Its all going to come down to what you like to play.
    The Soldier is very popular. The Unleashed is supposed to be VERY nice. The new one (Nighthawk) is said to be quite good.
    Really, if you are thinking of going lifetime, your very best bet would be to spring for a month of Gold Membership. It will give you the best idea as to weather this is the game for you (hopefully yes) and you will be able to continue on without interruption once you get your lifetime.
    Hope this helps.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    CoX actually had ridiculously transparent numbers. In fact, CO doesn't seem transparent enough. The detail descriptions are incredibly sparse and obtuse (actually, they're a lot like Champions tabletop in that respect). Even after playing through the tutorial I had no idea how to play my character or what my powers even did. Mostly, the "what are all these numbers" question might better be answered by explaining what those numbers do rather than why they are there; perhaps you could put a hotlink to this section of the wiki in this entry, since it's the most relevant to CoX players coming over? The stat hurdle was my big problem, and I'm still trying to get used to it.

In the end it had ridiculously transparent numbers, when I started we got a percentage for how much an enhancement enhanced a power and that was pretty much it, we had to fight to get more information than that and it didn't come until after Jack passed the torch to Matt as Jack didn't want the players being overloaded with numbers.
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In the end it had ridiculously transparent numbers, when I started we got a percentage for how much an enhancement enhanced a power and that was pretty much it, we had to fight to get more information than that and it didn't come until after Jack passed the torch to Matt as Jack didn't want the players being overloaded with numbers.

Yes but folks are talking about the end, as in now.

I think they are trying to warn the transitioning players (many of whom weren't involved with COH during the Jack years) not to expect the transparent numbers they've come to love in the final years of COH's existence.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool: