test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Customizable powers - Bring back Power Replacers!

cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
Maybe I want a gun the shoots ice? Maybe I want to trade knocks for more damage? Maybe I just want the 'Kirby Krackle' for my power armor?

I think it would be great if power replacers made a comeback and were improved. A bit like the auras and the item slots, add an extra slot on our gear that we can slot power replacers into to change how our powers look and work.

Purely cosmetic ones can used in the aura slots (maybe a new one) and the quality of you gear might affect how well it works. So that, for instance, native ice powers have more effective procs at first but by end-game you are better modded than they are unenhanced.

Speaking of which, what if you're happy with the normal powers? Those slots can be used to enhance you existing powers without changing them.

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Power Replacers are never coming back is what we've been told. However they might make a return as new powers, so keep fingers crossed for that.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The problem is that CO is a custom pseudo-OO setup written in C, which means inheritance works poorly; a power replacer is actually one or more complete new powers.
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    I would prefer being able to choose what animations you want for abilities over power replacers. It would obviously use more animations then what is currently offered, so like you said you could have your ice powers use rifle or pistol animations instead.

That kind of complexity would probably require it be done in tailor, but even that transformations tab can't show animation previews for whatever reason.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    I suggested something like this for, caster magic powers like using a staff or wand like you do for swords or guns. And could change the look of it to have many different looks for the item. I would love to change to look of the powers effects, sound and animations, hate the boomerang throw with the leg hiking up like a baseball toss. Or a wet smack for my dual fish melee user, the slicing kind of takes away the feel for me.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The problem is that CO is a custom pseudo-OO setup written in C, which means inheritance works poorly; a power replacer is actually one or more complete new powers.
    To add to this, what this means is that every time the devs want to update a power such as, say, Assault Rifle, they'd also have to go in and update every single power replacer related to Assault Rifle. Who in their right mind would want to do that, especially if a given power has potentially dozens of replacers?

It'd be great to see them show up as costume unlocks or devices (with proper adjustments to cooldown and such) at some point, though. Mainly because the former just takes any special weapon skins and makes it available for existing powers, and because the latter gets demoted to an auxiliary bonus effect rather than being a core power.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    To add to this, what this means is that every time the devs want to update a power such as, say, Assault Rifle, they'd also have to go in and update every single power replacer related to Assault Rifle.

Says who?
    cbob312 wrote: »
    Says who?

The devs and people who know stuff about coding. When it comes to "why can't they do that" or "why is that a lot of work", people around here have found some very in-depth answers.​​
    To add to this, what this means is that every time the devs want to update a power such as, say, Assault Rifle, they'd also have to go in and update every single power replacer related to Assault Rifle.
    Not actually true, it just meant you had a whole bunch of possible sources for build errors instead of just one (the linkage is broken now, but it wasn't for many years).
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Not actually true, it just meant you had a whole bunch of possible sources for build errors instead of just one (the linkage is broken now, but it wasn't for many years).
    Are you certain? I recall Kais stating something to the effect at that each variant was its own instance of a power at some point.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Says who?

The devs and people who know stuff about coding. When it comes to "why can't they do that" or "why is that a lot of work", people around here have found some very in-depth answers.​​

Well when a dev tells me it's hard I'll reconsider.

I mean, this would be a MAJOR update to the game. Why would they just patch so barely working system together? Why do you have such little faith in the devs?
    Says who?

The devs and people who know stuff about coding. When it comes to "why can't they do that" or "why is that a lot of work", people around here have found some very in-depth answers.

Well when a dev tells me it's hard I'll reconsider.

I mean, this would be a MAJOR update to the game. Why would they just patch so barely working system together? Why do you have such little faith in the devs?

giphy.gif​​
    Are you certain? I recall Kais stating something to the effect at that each variant was its own instance of a power at some point.
    Each one is, but they still inherit some features of the parent power.
    Each one is, but they still inherit some features of the parent power.

So then it's both. Better than no inheritance at all I guess .-.​​
    So then it's both. Better than no inheritance at all I guess .-.​​
    It's a case of "they could have used an actual object oriented programming language, but instead they wrote their own implementation in C".
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Power replacers do exactly what they say: they replace the power(s) with another power(s) that's defined by the item you equipped. What a nightmare if they update the power; you'd have to update the items, too!

We probably have better chances of getting "aura" slots that sense when certain FX events are about to be called into play and replace those.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    they have devices that do this as in the psionic echos device that brings copies to fight or the nightmare one
    Iirc I said we needed sidekicks and some of you same people said it would destroy the game and now we have them.
    Iirc I said we needed sidekicks and some of you same people said it would destroy the game and now we have them.
    No-one is saying it would destroy the game. It's just, from all reports, a gigantic hassle from the PoV of devs, so PRs, at least in their original form, are unlikely to return.
    edited April 2019

Devices that summon NPCs have been in the game since long before the Sidekick devices were released ( and the Harajuku twins existed for years before that point ). There is no "now we have them". What we have now is just a reskinned version of something we already had. If we had customizable sidekicks then you might have a point, but we don't, so you don't.

Also the "it would destroy the game" thing is something nobody said, neither about sidekicks nor power replacers.​​
    No-one is saying it would destroy the game. It's just, from all reports, a gigantic hassle from the PoV of devs, so PRs, at least in their original form, are unlikely to return.

Where in this forum's description does it say "Suggestions: But keep it simple"? Why are you fighting for the status quo? If it's "too hard" they won't do it, or maybe they'll do something similar. I'm giving them idea that would make this game more fun for me, and I'm ok if it never happens. If they didn't want to hear new ideas they could just close this forum, they don't need you protecting them from something you think might be too hard for them.

By doing this you make this a less enjoyable experience and that will discourage other people from posting their ideas that might be easy to implement.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    While what you say is true, some people post to the forum in ways implying that their ideas are the greatest thing since sliced bread, that implementation of said changes will "save" the game, and that the Devs would be fools not to listen to them. Maybe Panta doesn't know where you stand on the spectrum of those who make suggestions here and is just trying to provide a bit of reality?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited April 2019
    Where in this forum's description does it say "Suggestions: But keep it simple"? Why are you fighting for the status quo? If it's "too hard" they won't do it, or maybe they'll do something similar. I'm giving them idea that would make this game more fun for me, and I'm ok if it never happens. If they didn't want to hear new ideas they could just close this forum, they don't need you protecting them from something you think might be too hard for them.

By doing this you make this a less enjoyable experience and that will discourage other people from posting their ideas that might be easy to implement.

I think a better question is why did you react so negatively to people giving you information? You're like, throwing around accusations and stuff just cause somebody told you something about stuff. Relax man. You're also then making false claims, and that sort of thing gets a quick response around here.

If you make a suggestion that has actually been talked about by the devs, positive or negative, people are gonna tell you about it. One of the big pluses of the CO community is how informative people are. Learn to enjoy it. Getting instant feedback on suggestions like that isn't a perk every community enjoys.​​