What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20180613.1 - Costume Transformations

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    qawsada wrote: »
    0r0bpR8.jpg
    So what exactly is going on with the Ape in the PTS? He cover in fire auras. Here is Ape in a tanking position.

[SystemMessage] [Pokedex] Qwyjibo has learned "Blinding Heat"!
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Costume Changes

Questionite Store
    • Added the following costume transformations: Magical Pose, Twirl, Whirl, Finger Snap, Howl, Spin, Electrical Storm.

Suggestion, add a bundle to Zen Store that unlocks both Magical Girl Costume and Magical Pose transformation
    Post edited by carrionbaggage on
    Something on the PTS has turned up Qwyjibo's thermostat.
    4UX80Sn.gif

This actually looks hecking cool. So long as it doesn't have a noticeable FPS increase I want to keep this.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I guess it's that time of the year where Apes are in heat.
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As much as I love fire, I do not like getting seared with such saturated yellow.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    Suggestion
    Shadow Burst Transformation
    Light Burst Transformation
    Custom Burst Transformation
  • superwavessuperwaves Posts: 34 Arc User
    I have been using howl or unleash rage to bootleg this concept for years. These animations are pretty awesome. The power strike & Electric are my favorites so far.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Suggestion: outer layer transparency during some transforms
    A lot of transformation sequences involve various weapons and costume bits being added. An option that causes outer layers to disappear during part of the animation would at least resemble that.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    The super saturation on Ape is hopefully a bug. No, I'd prefer if that not make it live.

Everything else no real opinion on. I really don't play this game for costumes or transformations. They are just neat side things.

But good job on the implementation of the technology devs.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I've pretty much gotten to a point where what keeps me playing for a little while is costumes, really. Sad to see it's per character but I guess good on the idea.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    I've pretty much gotten to a point where what keeps me playing for a little while is costumes, really. Sad to see it's per character but I guess good on the idea.

To be honest if cosmics didn't exist and I didn't keep reading about new builds all the time that I want to try on my TWO characters with Justice Gear I simply would have silently uninstalled CO some time ago.

The costumes are neat to have and I strongly applaud the tech they were able to implement here . . .
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    xcelsior41 wrote: »

To be honest if cosmics didn't exist and I didn't keep reading about new builds all the time that I want to try on my TWO characters with Justice Gear I simply would have silently uninstalled CO some time ago.

The costumes are neat to have and I strongly applaud the tech they were able to implement here . . .

I have about one 40 with Dist gear. I used to love making interesting theme builds/subsequent new 40s but I've run out of ideas. I'm of the same sentiment about silently uninstalling champs, and have done so for awhile, taking 2-3 year breaks. I might(though, not so silent now I suppose :p) do so again in the coming month. The goal again is to take another 2-3 year break
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Any way we could get a another version of Power Strikes without the two poses at the end? Would work well for a lot of general concepts that aren't Power Rangery.
    biffsig.jpg
  • superwavessuperwaves Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Bummer there is no fire version but all in all, good to see these.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Costume Changes
    We are introducing a new type of item, Costume Transformations! ​​

Nice to see this type of thing make it into CO. It would be great to see some account wide versions in the Z-Store.

=)

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    Suggestion: Have Spellcast also unlock a version of the emote that loops the first half of it (similar to how your character looks when using a mysticism crafting table).
  • maiyannah#8942 maiyannah Posts: 1 Arc User
    The costume change things fall under the purview of "neat but too expensive for me to give a toss about for character only stuff"

Guess we're cribbing notes from STO though, since the character-unlock-only costumes is where one of the major secondary sources of income are. I think Cryptic doesn't respect how much some people value the costume stuff here.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    From what I see it's just another Gimmick, oh i'm sorry Feature, that tries to capitilize on the Character bound stuff like Auras and Emotes (and vehicles to a degree)

Meh, I like the emotes but I have no use of the feature itself since I don't take advantage of any of my characters with Transformation/Shapeshift motifs and I feel it's gonna be used mostly for Roleplay and Showing off

There is a little part of me that wants to get one of those transformations for themed characters just for the Satisfaction of seeing them perform themed stuff, but not really motivated to support it fully

This game has always been 100% character costumization focus for me, more costumization options are ALWAYS GOOD but character bound exclusive stuff is where I draw the line ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    and if Character bound emotes and auras Taught me anything is that I may get a character bound feature that won't work as I planned on a specific character, making me waste time and resources​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    Nice to see this type of thing make it into CO. It would be great to see some account wide versions in the Z-Store.

Took them long enough... City of Heroes had this ability 7 years ago, and it was account wide...

• thistleswift1thistleswift1 Posts: 219 Arc User
    oooo .... with the idea above of a fire version, how about one that is like a 'phoenix transformation' where the character goes >fwoosh!< up in flames, the body turns to ash and collapses, then rises from the ashes in the new costume? that would be ~great~!
  • shortbus#4297 shortbus Posts: 100 Arc User
    oooo .... with the idea above of a fire version, how about one that is like a 'phoenix transformation' where the character goes >fwoosh!< up in flames, the body turns to ash and collapses, then rises from the ashes in the new costume? that would be ~great~!

=)B)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    We need a transformation animation where someone throws themselves on the floor and has a temper tantrum. They could use that to transition into a baby costume. Ask Old Man Bobb for tips on how to make a diaper o3o
    spinnytop wrote: »
    We need a transformation animation where someone throws themselves on the floor and has a temper tantrum. They could use that to transition into a baby costume. Ask Old Man Bobb for tips on how to make a diaper o3o
    That's someone's fetish​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • gogoginga1gogoginga1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    i hope theses are reasonably priced if its character bind , i would have bought them in a heartbeat if its account wide
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    xacchaeus wrote: »

Took them long enough... City of Heroes had this ability 7 years ago, and it was account wide...

Yep.. I remember that and it was one of those features that made me play the game as long as I had. In my opinion, costume transformations should be free and account bound for lifetime members and discounted/account bound for those who purchase the Premium Pack; something like that would help offset losing the feature of getting that free character slot for leveling a character to 40.
  • gogoginga1gogoginga1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    agreed , but they are moving away from account bound it seems on everything , have been doing so for a long time now ,even cosmetics like auras and emotes
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Would love to see a transform that has the disintegrate effect from the New Shadows, floating animation, plus skeleton aura, to represent a character being taken apart and being put together again.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • not sure if they can do it but how about a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde like change by drinking something and a flash burst your different.

well, they kind of need that one, given it was the default used in CoX for costume transformation...at least, the only example i saw of that feature had that animation​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I would not mind a more costly account bound one as opposed to the single character bound for everything.
    +9999

I'd gladly buy a more expensive version of something if it meant having it account-wide rather than stuck to a single character. This is true even for things I may never end up actually using. Character bound, on the other hand, I may buy, but only if it's absolutely exceptional (which is rare) and I know for a fact I'll use it.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Would love to see a transform that has the disintegrate effect from the New Shadows, floating animation, plus skeleton aura, to represent a character being taken apart and being put together again.
    Or the flaming poof from Phoenix flight.
    aesica wrote: »
    Edit: Yeah the fact the animations don't fire when you change costumes via the role selection loadout thingies is kind of a big deal. I'm sure I'm not the only person who uses these to switch costumes.
    Agreed. This new feature is cool, but I don't normally change costumes manually.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    I remember Spiderman and his amazing friends cartoon has a nice transform for Iceman and Firestar.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Just hit me those with 100's of characters this will cost too much and take too long. They really should do this account wide other wise it will just be yet another feature lost due to greed.

Why do they have to get these animations for all 100+ of their characters? If that would be too expensive/take too much time, why not just get the number of transformations they can afford/have time for? They were fine this whole time with 0 transformation animations on their characters, why is it suddenly an issue that not all of them will have them?
  • elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Posts: 20 Arc User
    Just hit me those with 100's of characters this will cost too much and take too long. They really should do this account wide other wise it will just be yet another feature lost due to greed.

Why do they have to get these animations for all 100+ of their characters?

going off of that, how many of your alts are going to use the same transformation anyhow? Unless you have a dozen different Power Rangers/Werewolves/Wizards/Power Armor Wearers/ETC. it feels like the majority of people would be getting each alt a different transformation to fit their theme anyhow.
    edited June 2018

Why do they have to get these animations for all 100+ of their characters?

going off of that, how many of your alts are going to use the same transformation anyhow? Unless you have a dozen different Power Rangers/Werewolves/Wizards/Power Armor Wearers/ETC. it feels like the majority of people would be getting each alt a different transformation to fit their theme anyhow.

Agreed on both points.

"My Fairy Princess Robot Ninja Werewolf Zombie Hitler Duck disagrees"

This is how this thread sounds like :v
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

Why do they have to get these animations for all 100+ of their characters? If that would be too expensive/take too much time, why not just get the number of transformations they can afford/have time for? They were fine this whole time with 0 transformation animations on their characters, why is it suddenly an issue that not all of them will have them?

I have only a marginal interest in these animations. I don't change costumes often enough to warrant wanting this on many characters, but I do like the thought of having options. If there's something out there that's at least a little bit cool, and I know I could use it on any of my characters, I'd buy probably a few right away, at least the ones that I like the animations on, like the superhero landing one and the lightning strike and stuff.

But anyway, having them restricted to a single one per character, I obviously won't even consider a "blanket" purchase and just buy for whatever character I'm on at the time. This makes it a lot less useful or interesting to me, and it'll reduce the likelihood of a purchase.

Now, I don't know where I fit in the demographic that Cryptic is going for. Maybe new players that are in the "churn" are more likely to buy this stuff, and so it's priced accordingly. I trust their marketing people know what they're doing (and I know that marketing almost always has different goals than players, and that's okay). But what I do know is that when it comes to auras, I've paid for exactly two since they were introduced, because the effect it brings to my character is marginal and not a big deal (I know others put a much higher value on auras but we're talking about me). If the auras were account unlocks, I'd definitely have bought a lot more of them because I was excited for this feature before they announced how they'd be unlocked. I feel it's the exact same thing for the costume change animations. If they weren't a character-specific unlock, I'd buy some with reckless abandon. As it is now, I weigh it first as a "do I reaaaally want this on this character?" whereas if it were an account unlock for my almost-one-hundred characters, it'd be "how many characters could I use this on?" Question two has me spending more money, no doubt about it.

I don't think they'll change this at all, this post isn't here to convince anyone to make it account unlocks, but it's just here to shed a bit of light on the type of people that would spend more if the feature could work for more than one character at a time, cuz we exist. No, we don't need a hundred characters. No, we don't play all of them all of the time. No, we don't need animations on all of them. But given the option, we'd spend money to make them all a little prettier even when they're lounging on the backburner.
    biffsig.jpg
  • alriialrii Posts: 63 Arc User
    gonna echo biff here (about blanket purchase and not trying to demand a change, just a pov)

i tend to do that a lot >.> on STO i have way more chara slots and costume slots than i ever plan on using, but anytime i have the zen i tend to splurge on those things (sale or not)

as a CO example, the nightmare invasion event when it was first introduced (back when auras were pretty new too, relatively) i only got the auras from the event store only for one chara to see what they looked like (on my colour scheme rather than a static image preview)... and thats it, i like them a lot and did want them on others but started snagging costume pieces instead ... even the skulls!! which i honestly never plan on using but my brain was all... what IF >.<

am using this example coz i have never been happy with this event (which is neither here nor there), buuuuut i participated in it more than any of the others coz i really liked the event costume pieces (even though i still haven't made a chara that really uses that stuff); so i often end up trying to farm the bosses for cossie drops to throw at friends and one especially cranky old man who likes to forget that i am his Will Irritate him Forever and Ever person >.>

in short "might use" gets me participating in economy more than "have to decide if i definitely will" and yah i know ppl can be the opposite of that too

and again, not trying to rally for a change, just offering another voice from this side
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    That really doesn't answer the question about why there can't be an account wide version.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    This seems like a lot of development for a fairly niche cosmetic.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    Niche is the best word to describe this​​
    Awesome cosmetic items, in keeping with the genre and fitting other sub-genres, is a good way to describe this.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    avianos wrote: »
    Niche is the best word to describe this​​

More niche than vehicles? Fancy transformations/quick costume changes with a slight flourish are a staple of the genre...a lot more so than hovertanks I would say.

It is a bit odd to me that they are doing this now but it does fit with the rest of the game perfectly and they should have added this feature in a long time ago.

edited June 2018
    beezeeze wrote: »
    More niche than vehicles? Fancy transformations/quick costume changes with a slight flourish are a staple of the genre...a lot more so than hovertanks I would say.
    You can't compare those two
    Vehicles have multiple uses, you can level up a character with them, use them as fast traveling, do Open Missions, farming Qzone dailies, doing Lemurian invasion and Sky Command rampages or just using them for looks and aesthetics
    They still have more uses than a character bound feature which is limited just for Cosmetics

While I RESPECT everything about character customization, i feel this is a Hit and Miss​​
    avianos wrote: »
    i feel this is a Hit and Miss​​

Well, we'll see how they do once released. For me they're already a hit, and cosmetic items in CO are huge sellers.

I'll definitely get some of them (if they were account bound I'd get the lot, even though it meant paying more for account bound).

zrdRBy8.png
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Lots of people have been clamoring for more superhero things in their superhero game, this adds another layer to that.

beezeeze wrote: »
    Lots of people have been clamoring for more superhero things in their superhero game, this adds another layer to that.

As one of those people, I agree! =)

zrdRBy8.png
    edited June 2018
    By all means, Enjoy it

I'm going to wait for the next powerframe revamp myself​​
This discussion has been closed.