Comments

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    By all means, Enjoy it

I'm going to wait for the next powerframe revamp myself​​

I'm gonna do both :)

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    You can't compare those two
    Vehicles have multiple uses, you can level up a character with them, use them as fast traveling, do Open Missions, farming Qzone dailies, doing Lemurian invasion and Sky Command rampages or just using them for looks and aesthetics
    They still have more uses than a character bound feature which is limited just for Cosmetics

While I RESPECT everything about character customization, i feel this is a Hit and Miss​​

This is what I was getting at, well said by @avianos.

Cosmetics are a staple of Champs, definitely. I have six characters I play consistently (plus another 40 or so on top of that), and I switch up their costumes all the time, but usually through the build buttons. An animation that only plays when switch costumes, not using the build buttons, and character-bound, is really niche. Unlike a costume bit, which you and everyone can see when you are playing your toon, a transformation only shows for a couple seconds, seen only by you and whoever happens to be looking at your toon in those couple seconds.

I do hope it makes Champs plenty of money compared to the dev time taken to make them.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    They're just like emotes, a fun little addition that adds some flavour to the game and that can be added to now that the system is in place and about to go live. They're neat.

SHAZAM! =)
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    That really doesn't answer the question about why there can't be an account wide version.

The same reason all those other things weren't account-wide. You know, those reasons people keep pointing out over and over but certain people will just never accept them? I'm not sure why you folks even bother to keep asking, the answer isn't going to change.
    Niche is the best word to describe this​​

"Niche cosmetic" is almost an oxymoron in this game, isn't it? I mean, the fact that they don't work with build swaps is certainly a downer, but on the other hand I can't spend very much time staring at my character's costume in detail during mid-combat anyways and I'm sure most other people can't either, so mid-combat build switching use for this feature isn't necessarily very important. Assuming I can do the costume change and then switch builds shortly after, this could still be functional for my "different roled builds have different costumes" endeavors at times where people will actually see me do the transformation.

Also I agree that vehicles are more niche than this. Sure you can blow stuff up with them ( and make the game more boring ) but so what? Just cause you can use it in combat in certain areas doesn't make something a more definitive addition to a game where cosmetics are king. You're actually less your character when you're using your vehicle ( especially if your character is hidden inside the thing ). These transformations make your character more defined and cool, vehicles do the opposite.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    WAIT WAIT WAIT
    You cannot use them for Build Switching?
    8ab.gif

There was a small interest for this feature and now it's gone
    What's the point of it if it's not gonna work with FF Build swapping?
    I was expecting to use at least 1 transformation for a Dual-build character so i can swap from DPS to TANK role​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I haven't read through the whole thread but it's probably just an oversight.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    or the way they set the animations up with the game's spaghetti-engine means build-switching flat-out cannot trigger them​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    You can set keybinds to switch costumes... its been awhile since I have done it but it isn't all that difficult... so bind your costume change to f6-f11 and presto you've got yourself a reasonable work around for this issue until or if the devs get around to fixing it.

http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/604/costume-key-bind-example

• Options
    build-swapping is already set to those keys by default...so theoretically, you could just bind both build-swapping AND costume changing to a single key, assuming a console command exists for build-swapping

you'd have to remember to hit the key twice of course, but it could work​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Well, it's a new feature that may not be finished yet, so maybe.

After tinkering a bit on PTS there is a second thing I think it needs. We need to be able to recolor them. Each of them has an inherent color that is used for some sort of visual effect related to the transformation. These colors may or may not match a character's theme.(thanks for posting these carrionbaggage)
    In some cases it's just the transformation flash itself though, and that flash has the same color for all transformations.
    Electrical Storm: (pale green/blue)
    221XFAH.gif
    Howl:
    VktpSwJ.gif
    Magical Pose: (red/orange stars)
    G4O9Wot.gif
    Smoke Bomb: (hard to see in this capture, but it makes your character glow purple for a bit)
    eT0y0w2.gif
    Snap:(pale green/blue)
    ivnGSCn.gif
    Spellcast: (purple magic and runes)
    N3OVpDt.gif
    Spin (buggy timing):
    AKWd3tA.gif
    Tech Wrist (buggy timing):
    UKfOKMw.gif
    Twirl:
    RbpCq44.gif
    Whirl:
    HA4ZoJC.gif
    Power Strikes: (pale green/blue)
    kjwuC6H.gif
    Takeoff: (bright orange flame trail effect)
    t55h0QT.gif
    Soo...…
    add two color picker buttons to the transformation tailor tab. One for the visual effect and one for transformation flash color.
    Why? because customization! :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    WAIT WAIT WAIT
    You cannot use them for Build Switching?
    There was a small interest for this feature and now it's gone
    What's the point of it if it's not gonna work with FF Build swapping?
    I was expecting to use at least 1 transformation for a Dual-build character so i can swap from DPS to TANK role​​

My plan is to just swap my costume before I switch the build. I'm not sure I actually care about mid-combat build switching when nobody would notice the animation and it'd probably get me killed anyway.

Has anyone tested if you can make a bind that switches your costume AND swaps your build, and see if the animation plays then?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    Will support this feature going forward. One question though, do/will they have(even if brief) de-transformation effects when deactivating them?
    This game has always been 100% character costumization focus for me, more costumization options are ALWAYS GOOD but character bound exclusive stuff is where I draw the line ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    and if Character bound emotes and auras Taught me anything is that I may get a character bound feature that won't work as I planned on a specific character, making me waste time and resources​​
    To me, that seems like more of a symptom of the lack of ability to preview said items. But that's just my opinion. :<
  • Options
    guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    Well, it's a new feature that may not be finished yet, so maybe.

After tinkering a bit on PTS there is a second thing I think it needs. We need to be able to recolor them. Each of them has an inherent color that is used for some sort of visual effect related to the transformation. These colors may or may not match a character's theme.(thanks for posting these carrionbaggage)
    In some cases it's just the transformation flash itself though, and that flash has the same color for all transformations.
    Electrical Storm: (pale green/blue)
    221XFAH.gif
    Howl:
    VktpSwJ.gif
    Magical Pose: (red/orange stars)
    G4O9Wot.gif
    Smoke Bomb: (hard to see in this capture, but it makes your character glow purple for a bit)
    eT0y0w2.gif
    Snap:(pale green/blue)
    ivnGSCn.gif
    Spellcast: (purple magic and runes)
    N3OVpDt.gif
    Spin (buggy timing):
    AKWd3tA.gif
    Tech Wrist (buggy timing):
    UKfOKMw.gif
    Twirl:
    RbpCq44.gif
    Whirl:
    HA4ZoJC.gif
    Power Strikes: (pale green/blue)
    kjwuC6H.gif
    Takeoff: (bright orange flame trail effect)
    t55h0QT.gif
    Soo...…
    add two color picker buttons to the transformation tailor tab. One for the visual effect and one for transformation flash color.
    Why? because customization! :D

They are affected by your powers color change. Tested it yesterday. Go to your powers menu and change the colors of your powers globally
  • Options
    They are affected by your powers color change. Tested it yesterday. Go to your powers menu and change the colors of your powers globally

Good to know. Much appreciated :)

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    Good to know. Much appreciated :)
    that's good. :) But... It does mean that ALL of them will be the same color. And the transforms with multiple aspects will have both parts the same color. It's not really necessary, but it'd be a useful feature to have.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Unfortunately standalone FF Slots lack this feature, even when used by subs/lifers.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    You should still be able to changes colours with /powerhue 0 <0-306>
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Costume Changes
    We are introducing a new type of item, Costume Transformations! These items unlock costume transformation animations for your costume slots!
    Once you have unlocked one, you can go into the tailor and choose what costume transformation you want a costume to use.

Lockbox
    • Added the following to the debugger store:
    • Power Strikes, Takeoff costume transformations.
    • Flex Low, Stylish Dance emotes.

Questionite Store
    • Added the following costume transformations: Magical Pose, Twirl, Whirl, Finger Snap, Howl, Spin, Electrical Storm.

GCR Store
    • Added the following costume transformations: Tech Wrist, Spellcast, Smokebomb.

Gonna add my feedback here.

Move Power Strikes & Tech Wirst to the Z-store or Quest.

I see no reason to put them behind grind-walls.

Psi.
  • Options
    ghost#7389 ghost Posts: 29 Arc User
    Awesome Idea..awesome animations - awful implementation.
    I'm sick and tired of the character bound issue and I agree with those who say that this should be a account wide unlock (think of the players with a lot of Alts, goddammit!).
    Put packages/bundles with a account wide unlock into the Z-store - I would buy them without any hesitation.
    But as long as they are character bound..no interest. I will not invest time or money in those at all.
    Characters: Cybrax - DJ of SinAmatic Entertainment Radio - http://my.powerstream.live:8800/
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    The old "Instant Change" power finally makes it into the online game.

I do wish, as many others have, that they could be attached to builds, though. This would really put it over the top, I think.
    I think Cryptic doesn't respect how much some people value the costume stuff here.

Or they understand it fully and are trying to take advantage of it.

And I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean it in a "this makes perfect sense" way.

Add things that people like to the C-Store to make some money, the Q-Store to keep the Q exchange useful, the Drifter store to encourage key sales, and the Recognition vendors to add a payoff for just playing the game.
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Will support this feature going forward. One question though, do/will they have(even if brief) de-transformation effects when deactivating them?

Well, you attach them to the costume that you are changing into, so if you, for example, have some power armor guy that uses the wrist tech emote to "put on" his armor, then you could just attach the same emote to his "civilian clothes" costume that will activate when he wants to "take off" the armor.
    cryneting wrote: »
    Gonna add my feedback here.

Move Power Strikes & Tech Wirst to the Z-store or Quest.

I see no reason to put them behind grind-walls.

Yeah. And then they move something else to the Recognition Store and someone else complains.

So file it under "you can't please everyone" and think about how someone is happy that this or that costume change is exactly where they hoped it would be, and remember it the next time they add stuff and what you want is exactly where you want it to be.
    superwaves wrote: »
    Bummer there is no fire version but all in all, good to see these.

This, though I expect to see more of these appearing in various places as time goes by, including event stores.

Hopefully a fire transformation or two will make it in sooner rather than later, though, as my main is a fire toon. I would be happy with something like lightning storm, only using fire effects myself. No "Phoenix effect" needed and certainly not being reborn from an ash pile. In the meantime, though,

Same with the earth effects someone mentioned, and may as well throw water in there, too, if they can manage that (a wave crashing over someone, for example).

I also like Spinny's "take off" and "put on" helmet idea, but I don't know if it would work in practice... I mean, if the character that I would want this one for can not take off or put on the helmet that they are actually using in their costume then it ruins the whole effect.

But in the meantime, there are some suitable substitutes here, as my fire toon is adapted from my old-time, long-time Champions PnP favorite, and they had instant change, so I will grind or buy or whatever to get whichever one I settle on, and complain not one bit that it is character bound if I later find a costume change that I like even better.

• Options
    I also like Spinny's "take off" and "put on" helmet idea, but I don't know if it would work in practice... I mean, if the character that I would want this one for can not take off or put on the helmet that they are actually using in their costume then it ruins the whole effect.

Well I have a character where one costume is them with a helmet, and another costume is the exact same thing just without the helmet, so that's what I would be using that for.
  • Options
    aiqa wrote: »
    You should still be able to changes colours with /powerhue 0 <0-306>

That is a great solution for players that visit this forum, are familiar with console commands, and remember the command when in game.

I am suggesting that that is a small group of players.

• Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

Well I have a character where one costume is them with a helmet, and another costume is the exact same thing just without the helmet, so that's what I would be using that for.

That's what I was assuming, as I have a character like that as well, but can they make the costume change work for whatever helmet whatever character is wearing, or would they have to make one for each helmet (or hat) in the game?

I am thinking that it would have to be the latter, and in that case I don't see it happening, never mind that it would take two emotes for the effect (one putting the helmet on, another taking the helmet off).
  • Options
    I was just picture a quick whip of the hand from their head off to their side, no actual helmet model in their hand.
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I was just picture a quick whip of the hand from their head off to their side, no actual helmet model in their hand.

That could work. A flash of light to cover the helmet actually coming off/going on and a hand motion going to/from the head.

Sure. I'd settle for that.
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User

Yeah. And then they move something else to the Recognition Store and someone else complains.

So file it under "you can't please everyone" and think about how someone is happy that this or that costume change is exactly where they hoped it would be, and remember it the next time they add stuff and what you want is exactly where you want it to be.

Good point, it's a shame but oh well. I guess I'll try my luck in the Onslaught thing for once.

Psi.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User

I have a possible idea for this...based on Power Rangers of all things. Non sentai actors do some of their own stunts but usually scenes in the suits are stunt doubles. However, some scenes to require the regular actors to be in the suits with helmets off. The way around this is that they make the motion to remove the helmet--putting their hands on the side of their heads--then jump cut to them with the helmet off to try to maintain the illusion of it being the same person. I think a variant of this might work. Reach to the character's head and then a flash into the new outfit. Doing this in a vague form without directly calling the helmet rig might also work for some psionic concepts and actually a few others.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Suggestion
    In the future make a Roin'esh-style transformation with covering your body in black, swirling tentacles?

w02_04.jpg
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Suggestion
    In the future make a Roin'esh-style transformation with covering your body in black, swirling tentacles?
    :+1:
    For whatever lockbox they put out right around the time Venom comes out, that would probably go over really well.
  • Options
    Suggestion

I could do something with that...
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    > @avianos said:
    > WAIT WAIT WAIT
    > You cannot use them for Build Switching?

FYI I read in a chat the other day that they got the transform animations to work with build swapping. No idea if the change has been added to the pts yet though.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    oh good, that seemed like a logical thing to do as part of the feature implementation.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    > @avianos said:
    > WAIT WAIT WAIT

FYI I read in a chat the other day that they got the transform animations to work with build swapping. No idea if the change has been added to the pts yet though.

Praise your eagle eyes!

Good news.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Hmm, the transformation animations won't hinding Blocking or In-Combar when switching build will it? Dual builds might end up dying when switching if the animation cancels Blocking.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    Hmm, the transformation animations won't hinding Blocking or In-Combar when switching build will it? Dual builds might end up dying when switching if the animation cancels Blocking.

Do not worry.

kaizerin wrote: »
    [*] Costume transformations will not play if you are in combat.
    ​​

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    They're in the Recog store?

Sigh.

Guess that means I have to start grinding those after all, huh? I really want that Lightning Strike transform for an electrical character - he can switch from civilian ID to hero appropriately. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Do the recog ones bind on pickup? I hope not
  • Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    Do the recog ones bind on pickup? I hope not

most likely they do​​
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I am not seeing any in the recognition stores. The Q store version is BoE.
  • Options
    tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    > @avianos said:
    > WAIT WAIT WAIT

I was just on the PTS and I could not get the swaps to work with build changes. Only with changing the costume via the drop down from our portrait or using the costume tab in the Character screen.

If they make it work with build swaps I will use the heck out of these... if they do not I probably won't bother with them much.

Time will tell. I hope they get it working.
This discussion has been closed.