test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Device & Power Changes FC.31.20151210A.14

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    xrazamax wrote: »
    ... are you guys try to make Orbital Cannon synergized with... Laser Sword?

Plot twist: Orbital Cannon is actually just Laser Sword being poked down from the heavens.

37d.gif

but Not as Cool as Indignation Judgement​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    cryneting said:

I Got a bad feeling, that the hole massive update is going LIVE with all the Bugs and issues.

(14:00 to 20:00)

6 Hours?, Long enough to put all this on?

Pure speculation either way, but I think it's more likely they are upgrading the production environment (software and/or hardware) to be prepared for the Telios update at a future date. We'll see soon enough..

LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User

cryneting said:

I Got a bad feeling, that the hole massive update is going LIVE with all the Bugs and issues.

Pure speculation either way, but I think it's more likely they are upgrading the production environment (software and/or hardware) to be prepared for the Telios update at a future date. We'll see soon enough..

Ture, Tho I can't image the amount of rage that will happen if PWE just throw this Mess of a update into the LIVE, without fixing the bugs, tho no srupise that they will, given how they do things
    Psi.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    I remember talking to Kaiserin about CC before and discussing how strong manipulator actually is, the problem is that there isn't much need for CC other than against less mobs. I think the thing I would love most is if a boss fight had the need for strong CC in some way, but for that to be the case you'd need to have adds that are in some way not just supposed to be DPS'd down. For that you'd need them to have really high health or just not take actual damage but instead live for a duration instead and maybe they slowly move towards the boss and if they reach the boss then something happens so you have to CC them to stop it. Something like that would give a use for my kind of strong CC (cough 12 second stun cough) which is so strong for PvP. I honestly don't know if we'll ever see CC actually made useful in PvE in that way though.
  • edited January 2016

I remember talking to Kaiserin about CC before and discussing how strong manipulator actually is, the problem is that there isn't much need for CC other than against less mobs. I think the thing I would love most is if a boss fight had the need for strong CC in some way, but for that to be the case you'd need to have adds that are in some way not just supposed to be DPS'd down. For that you'd need them to have really high health or just not take actual damage but instead live for a duration instead and maybe they slowly move towards the boss and if they reach the boss then something happens so you have to CC them to stop it. Something like that would give a use for my kind of strong CC (cough 12 second stun cough) which is so strong for PvP. I honestly don't know if we'll ever see CC actually made useful in PvE in that way though.

Considering that stuns can be dodged (thanks to bug) + active offenses exist, i would disagree and say that stuns are not strong even in PvP. Not even mentioning CC resistance gear and stacked Pre or Ego...
    Post edited by shiningdarkness#2717 on
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2016

cryneting said:

The shut down is due to server infrastructure upgrades and addressing latency issues. Other PWE games are experiencing the same shut down:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1210532/scheduled-maintenance-january-21st-2016
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User

cryneting wrote: »

If it does go live "as is" then my suspicions about the direction CO is heading will be confirmed. I think the dev team is under the gun to make massive changes quickly. It's only January remember. If my suspicions are correct by the end of the year - we're going to have seen some HUGE changes in the game and how it works. More monetization, more grind, less complicated mechanics, and new content too boot. Interesting times ahead indeed.​​

So basically Teleios Ascending is our Delta Rising. Yay.

Anyone know what we did wrong to get that punishment?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    xrazamax said:

cryneting said:

The shut down is due to server infrastructure upgrades and addressing latency issues. Other PWE games are experiencing the same shut down:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1210532/scheduled-maintenance-january-21st-2016

*Sighs* Thanks!

I assumed the worse
    Psi.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I suspect that we will have at least one additional week before the next patch, perhaps two.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2016

spinnytop said:

Personally I always saw a disparity with Mental Storm ( we hate those right? power disparities? ). It does the most damage AND it's aoe damage AND it has CC AND that CC is aoe AND it has a resistence debuff. Does this damage reduction put it in line with the other dots? Eh, it maybe brings it a bit closer but it's still by far got the most going for it.

None of those other DoTs have a 15s cd. (Okay, there's probably one somewhere, but most of them certainly don't). And pretty sure none of them are top tier powers (to whatever degree that matters anymore). The appropriate comparisons are total dps on things like (the new nerfed) SR or other great top tier powers, not stuff you can take at level 6 like ego sprites.

And it ignores that its one of the few powers which is anywhere close to acceptable in the telepathy powerset.

If you make Mental Storm chooseable at level 11 and drop the cd to something like 9s, and buff the rest of telepathy so the powerset isn't total garbage, then sure, a dps-nerf is warranted. As none of those things are going to happen in the foreseeable future, there's literally no reason to nerf mental storm except unreasonable hatred of telepathy as a powerset.

I feel like the cooldown as is justifies all the things the power does even with less damage per tick. It's an extremely versatile power. I feel like it's a bit fantastical to say that a power that does that much is the standard to which the entire telepathy set should be held.

PS - when you say "unreasonable hatred of telepathy as a powerset" are you actually being serious or is that just a joke people tell? Like, do you actually think there's someone at Cryptic HQ sitting at a desk clenching their fist in hatred about the idea of a grouping of in-game abilities centered around the idea of telepathy?

PSS@theravenforce - how are you losing 50% - 60% of your builds entire damage output due to this? Is mental storm your only source of damage? Did you mean 50% of just mental storm's damage output?
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    TBH Mental Storm has a bit too much rolled into it. It's a bit like Ebon Ruin - in terms of raw DPS, Darkness will always be behind because its high tier power is a resistance debuff, Trauma applier and raw damage dealer with ParaPara. So compared pure damage-dealing powers like Lightning Arc, it can't be expected to do the same damage.

I would like to see Mental Storm forked off into two powers, like an AoE stun similar to Sonic Device and a resistance debuff DoT, or perhaps use 2pt advantages to customize what it does, and create 4 options:
    1. Full power at R3
    2. 83% power at R2 + Stun
    3. 83% power at R2 + Resistance debuff
    4. 69% power at R1 + Stun + Resistance debuff.
    Some players want it for the damage, others for the debuff, others for Stun because Stun really is the most effective CC, so at least they get to pick their poison.
    gradii said:

selphea said:

TBH Mental Storm has a bit too much rolled into it. I would like to see it forked off into an AoE stun DoT vs a resistance debuff DoT, or perhaps use 2pt advantages to customize what it does, e.g. full power vs 83% power and stun vs 83% power and DoT vs 69% power + stun + DoT.

And make it even more worthless? How about just remove telepathy? OMG now I'm saying it. but seriously now.
    Full power as in full pre-nerf damage.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    spinnytop said:

Well to be fair, if a single crowd controller could just keep the adds CC'd during all the fights

spinnytop said:

Personally I always saw a disparity with Mental Storm ( we hate those right? power disparities? ). It does the most damage AND it's aoe damage AND it has CC AND that CC is aoe AND it has a resistence debuff. Does this damage reduction put it in line with the other dots? Eh, it maybe brings it a bit closer but it's still by far got the most going for it.

None of those other DoTs have a 15s cd. (Okay, there's probably one somewhere, but most of them certainly don't). And pretty sure none of them are top tier powers (to whatever degree that matters anymore). The appropriate comparisons are total dps on things like (the new nerfed) SR or other great top tier powers, not stuff you can take at level 6 like ego sprites.

And it ignores that its one of the few powers which is anywhere close to acceptable in the telepathy powerset.

If you make Mental Storm chooseable at level 11 and drop the cd to something like 9s, and buff the rest of telepathy so the powerset isn't total garbage, then sure, a dps-nerf is warranted. As none of those things are going to happen in the foreseeable future, there's literally no reason to nerf mental storm except unreasonable hatred of telepathy as a powerset.

I feel like the cooldown as is justifies all the things the power does even with less damage per tick. It's an extremely versatile power. I feel like it's a bit fantastical to say that a power that does that much is the standard to which the entire telepathy set should be held.

PS - when you say "unreasonable hatred of telepathy as a powerset" are you actually being serious or is that just a joke people tell? Like, do you actually think there's someone at Cryptic HQ sitting at a desk clenching their fist in hatred about the idea of a grouping of in-game abilities centered around the idea of telepathy?
    15s cd. It's not even available every mob. (Average clear time for a *telepath* to clear a mob is <10s, and they're *slow*).

It's not that versatile. Paralyze is pretty much worthless in a team, and outside a team other comparable powers will one-shot most of the enemies they work on, which is strictly better than a hold. The debuff only really matters against bosses (where the paralyze does nothing at all), because you're never going to stack it on anything below legendary.

And the damage is really not that high: here's a comparison from live (at level 6 with no SS and no gear and no toggles/passives)
    Mental Storm: 13 damage per second for 16s = 208 total
    Rocket Launcher (full charge), no cd: 222
    Sniper Rifle, no cd: 248 + stun
    Chest Beam (full charge), no cd: 211 + resist debuff + knock
    SR, 20s cd: 123 per hit, post nerf its going to be 3 hits with a little diminishing returns, but we're still probably looking at 300, + clinging flames. Note, probably the best comparison (similar 1 use/2 mobs cd, similar AoE).
    Orbital Cannon, 20s cd: 251 (+ particle burn now... lol?)

All of those powers kill villains in one hit reliably with a decent build, and can even work their way up to fairly reliably killing master villains in one hit (at least, i've done it with chest beam, sniper rifle, and SR, and assume the others scale similarly). So, pretty much better than a paralyze. Most of them are AoE too.

And I'm dead serious about the unreasonable hatred of telepathy. Despite being the single most underperforming powerset in the game, every time telepathy gets a balance tweak its a nerf. Every. Single. Time. I don't feel a need to embody it in one person - it's a persistent trend across total changes in dev teams and even the Atari -> PWE transition.
    Post edited by squirrelloid on
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

And I'm dead serious about the unreasonable hatred of telepathy. Despite being the single most underperforming powerset in the game, every time telepathy gets a balance tweak its a nerf. Every. Single. Time. I don't feel a need to embody it in one person - it's a persistent trend across total changes in dev teams and even the Atari -> PWE transition.

Well that means you're a nutcase o3o
  • edited January 2016
    Sorry to ruin your bubble, but there's no directed hate towards telepathy...

It's just that devs tend to create useless powers for ALL powersets lately because they use outdated spreadsheets that don't take into account all the stat buffs npc's and players got... (Just look at that nuclear shockwave onslaught unlock power for example)
    With this apparent new commitment to the game by Cryptic, I believe both Cryptic and the players would benefit from a new tuning strategy whereby: for every nerf, they commit to looking at positive enhancements for at least one (two would be even better) underperforming and underrepresented powers/abilities. Making existing powers desirable should be a more productive use of dev resources than creating more new powers that are undesirable.

Data mining can help guide these efforts. I'd probably start with a frequency distribution analysis of the powers in level 40 freeform builds that have been actively used in the last 90 days. Powers that are at the extreme low end of the distribution (i.e. virtually no one is using them) can then be manually pruned for review. Of course, some categorization by different dimensions like ability type (forms, passives, attacks, etc.) and/or framework might be useful as well.
    • Continuous balance improvement driven by data analytics
    • Nerfs have a cost in player goodwill; offset with an equal emphasis on buffs
    • Tuning old powers probably more effective currently in achieving balance than creating new powers
    • More build diversity makes for a better game; a better game means more/happier players
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    spinnytop said:

Even though this part wasn't directed at me, I do just want to say, I don't think there's any one Developer who legitimately hates Telepathy.

I think it is entirely possible that there is a general dislike of Crowd Control style abilities in the player population (CLEARLY lol) and this is possibly discussed in certain circles if it comes up.

I am sure if one Developer actually hated Crowd Control, we'd see more nerfs to the dead mechanic that is Crowd Control over time. But it's not weird that we have been seeing more crowd control nerfs recently. #StatusQuoPplz

But that's just my opinion from where I'm sitting and how I've been tracking things.
    spinnytop said:

PSS@theravenforce - how are you losing 50% - 60% of your builds entire damage output due to this? Is mental storm your only source of damage? Did you mean 50% of just mental storm's damage output?

Sorry, I must have not worded that very well. I just meant Mental Storm's damage on my build.

I'm sure if I wait long enough I may see a 50% - 60% reduction in my builds total damage but I won't tempt fate! :trollface:

You are wasting your breath, like me when you try to explain to someone what they don't actually want to see, regardless of if it is pretty clear to see.

Sorry to ruin your bubble, but there's no directed hate towards telepathy...

It's just that devs tend to create useless powers for ALL powersets lately because they use outdated spreadsheets that don't take into account all the stat buffs npc's and players got... (Just look at that nuclear shockwave onslaught unlock power for example)

Alright, lets look at just a few things shall we?

Two Gun Mojo - Buffed ability. Made incredibly strong in comparison to it's previous iteration. - MUNITIONS

Gravity Driver - Good Addition. Feedback was taken on board and it came out with a good level of power and is a shining example of the kind of power an ULTIMATE ability should have. - FORCE

Fractal Aegis - Good Addition. Feedback was sort of taken on board. Players were equal parts concerned about the lack of damage it dealt but when it was clear this was to help tanks, the % resistance was adjusted accordingly. - ICE

Endbringer's Grasp - Good Addition. Feedback was taken on board, it has had several corrections since it hit LIVE, one to correct the repeating respawning (which is still an issue, seems to have re-broken) and one to take down it's damage so that the ACTUAL FEATURE OF THE POWER (Rank limited Faction Conversion) would actually be a prominent part of the Ultimate. Players who are not too happy with it's damage output abandoned it but others (like myself) find a good use for it on builds. - DARKNESS.

Icicle Spear - Good Addition. Feedback was taken on board and it came out of the PTS with very little issue and worked VERY well. Lots of kudos and praise went to those who made this power and it also helped complete the Ice Power set. - ICE

Icy Embrace - Very Good Addition. Feedback was taken on board and it came out of the PTS with very little issue and worked VERY well. Lots of kudos and praise went to those who made this power and it also helped complete the Ice Power set as it has been lacking an energy unlock for a very long time. - ICE

Mind Control - Hot Mess. Feedback given was not taken on board at all and it came out of the PTS without SFX on charge up. The power is single target and is an extremely niche. It does not scale with Manipulator or CC bonuses meaning that the player spends 750Z on a nice addition to the tailor (Psionic Hairstyles for Base Hair) and a power which at maximum rank lasts for 11 seconds and has a 30 second base recharge. This ability does not work on certain Villain rank foes (as reported on PTS but was flatly ignored), Enforcer or Master Villain. - TELEPATHY

Congress of Selves - Long awaited passive turned Hot Mess. Due to factors outside of (presumably development)'s control, this power and accompanying powers were delayed for the best part of a year, if not a full year. Feedback was taken on board, unfortunately this feedback was detrimental and now we have a passive in Telepathy which is completely broken and spans across all roles. Has already been noted that this passive was built in "an unusual fashion and will require additional work" (funnily enough, after this comment was made and TP Reverb was adjusted, there was no more word on any other fixes, so this passive remains broken AF.) - TELEPATHY

Mental Storm - Good Addition turned Nerfed ability. Was actually one of the most powerful additions to Telepathy bar Mind Break. The only addition from New Telepathy pack which did not have an issue when it first exited the PTS. Combined strong DoT with a resistance debuff and a paralyze, these effects combined warranted a cool down of 15s base. Ability has now been nerfed because it was "too strong" (unique). Nerfed. - TELEPATHY.

Shadow of Doubt - Part of the New Telepathy pack. Decent addition to the set which combines DoT with utility debuffs. When it was released it had multiple issues and did not rank up properly at all. Feedback on PTS threads was flatly ignored. It took me crying all over forums for it to be fixed a few weeks after it had been released. Tooltip for it is still incorrect, despite my feedback. Most people STILL think it interrupts enemies. - TELEPATHY

Mental Leech - Part of the New Telepathy pack. Decent addition to the set which combines DoT with utility debuffs and a range dependent HoT. When it was released it had multiple issues including the bug where it would HEAL ENEMIES. Tooltip is still incorrect, despite my feedback. It requires a bit of fine tuning in the tooltip/description department - TELEPATHY

Master of the Mind - Part of the New Telepathy pack. Started out as a fantastic ability but was more suited to be an ultimate than a transform. Naysayers got a hold of the power and reduced it to nothing. Nerfed. - TELEPATHY

Mind Break - Part of the New Telepathy pack. Insanely OP ability at the start, was toned down to respectable levels post testing. Outside of old Mental Storm, this was the only other high powered ability in Telepathy. - TELEPATHY

Ego Sleep - Since Beta, this power has been able to bypass blocking mechanics as a trade off for this unusual effect it was granted 1 Hold HP, which meant it could be broken by 1 tick of non ES/SoD/ML/MS damage from any source. This effect has now been removed to combat it's use in PvP, despite the fact that there is another mechanic out there with no counter which does the same thing and deals damage and has no cooldown. Nerfed. - TELEPATHY

Ego Storm - This power used to allow the caster to move whilst casting at rank 3, meaning it had a lot of use as a maintained paralyze. This ability was then removed from the power and Malevolent Manifestation advantage became a thing. MM advantage was "abused" in PvP and players cried because of it. Entire class of Crowd control was nerfed because of this complaint (and the complaints about Binding of Aratron and Heatwave). This ability now requires more than 1 second to actually apply a CC effect to enemies. In addition to this, any target who is killed and under the effects of the hold instantly cut off the maintain and force it into a cooldown (this is outside of the caster's control). Nerfed. - TELEPATHY.

Now identify, from this list, the nerfs. It's by no means a complete list of nerfed/buffed/good powers added but it gives you an idea.

You can look at that anyway you want, but do note that this does not take into account all the various other nerfs which have happened since Beta (in relation to Telepathy).
    Post edited by theravenforce on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    You're really comparing apples and oranges. Here's the key data you left out:

And the damage is really not that high: here's a comparison from live (at level 6 with no SS and no gear and no toggles/passives)
    Mental Storm: 13 damage per second for 16s = 208 total, Activation Time: 0.67s
    Rocket Launcher (full charge), no cd: 222, Activation Time: 3.00s
    Sniper Rifle, no cd: 248 + stun, Activation Time: 4.00s
    Chest Beam (full charge), no cd: 211 + resist debuff + knock, Activation Time: 2.50s
    SR, 20s cd: 123 per hit, post nerf its going to be 3 hits with a little diminishing returns (in fact, 2/3 damage, 1/3 damage, total damage 246), Activation Time: 1.67s

If mental storm required a full charge (2.5s total time) its damage would be fine. It doesn't.
  • kunkanekokunkaneko Posts: 17 Arc User
    - Celestial Cleansing: Could the debuff at least match the power's cooldown? Because the debuff only lasts 10 secs, while the cooldown seems to be 20 secs... I want to keep the power for thematic reasons, but right now it's just ridiculous.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    spinnytop said:

Well that means you're a nutcase o3o
    Or you are in denial spinny :)(Unless your talking about the direct hate from PWE to telepathy, then sure :P).
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Chest Beam (full charge), no cd: 211 + resist debuff + knock, Activation Time: 2.50s
    SR, 20s cd: 123 per hit, post nerf its going to be 3 hits with a little diminishing returns (in fact, 2/3 damage, 1/3 damage, total damage 246), Activation Time: 1.67s

If mental storm required a full charge (2.5s total time) its damage would be fine. It doesn't.
    But that's not attack power, that's meantime power. Unlike Sniper Rifle, which's 120 FT range attack (i.e. spammable) power. It places DoT, which means you'll get full benefit of that only if you cast it once per 16 seconds. That's completely compensates it activation time, and so does SR's CD. l also kinda sad that Strafing run gonna lose 50% of its damage. Make it benefit from TC at least to somehow compensate that!
    The problem with further nerfing Mental Storm to be on full charge, is, not only is another nerf to Telepathy (but no one in the majority cares so...), but this makes using the power in boss fights where bosses like Gravitar cannot be crowd controlled, less desirable.

I think it was pantagruel who suggested keeping the damage on Mental Storm the same, but have it scale based on charge time?

So the current damage it deals on PTS would be the lower end and the 60% increase in damage (which is LIVE's current value compared to PTS Mental Storm) would be the damage on full charge.

^ That would be more acceptable (to me) than what has happened to it.

But it is more than likely it will receive another nerf to only be usable on full charge without adjusting the damage OR it will remain as is and hit LIVE.

The problem with further nerfing Mental Storm to be on full charge

Wasn't talking about further nerfing. Was saying that its original stats would be fine if it required full charge.
    edited January 2016

The problem with further nerfing Mental Storm to be on full charge

Wasn't talking about further nerfing. Was saying that its original stats would be fine if it required full charge.
    I see, thanks for clearing that up. Still the rest of what I said would apply even if you were talking about original values.
  • amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Device Changes
    - Lowered the cooldown for numerous summon legacy devices. Lowered duration of some legacy summon devices.

I've been wondering, but I will go ahead and ask. Why do summons like the permanent sidekick and henchman have cooldowns applied to them based on time activated? Looking at the tooltip, it doesn't seem like their temporary counterparts suffer from this limitation. (I may be wrong)
    It's one thing to require a cooldown if your sidekick/henchman is defeated which is perfectly reasonable, but if your sidekick/henchman is kept alive, I think they should be able to stay up indefinitely. That would definitely make them more attractive to me. It also could make people more invested in trying to protect their summons knowing that they can keep them alive.(This could also be applied to some of the other higher tier summons... Excluding the backup devices of course since their purpose is only to give help for a short period and then leave ;) )

Just a thought though.. o:)
  • edited January 2016

Teh quote

How come you've ignored all the useless powers they've added and/or nerfed in other powersets?

Strafing run nerf/Nuclear Shockwave/Gravity Ripple/Ice Barrief nerf/Sonic Boom generator/Gas pellets nerf/Orbital cannon(still worthless)/and the list goes on and on if we'll go back in time when Ego Storm was nerfed.

Stop over-exaggerating really, other power sets also get the same treatment with useless power additions and over-nerfed powers. I also want my favorite might/bestial/unarmed powersets to be buffed but I don't run around spamming and asking for buffs in each thread, I know that other powersets deserve attention too and noting makes my favorites more important than others + devs have other priorities at the moment anyway, for example fixing long standing bugs is obviously a better usage of time at this point, considering how many things are broken in this game.

P.S. Btw, Fractal Aegis is also pretty worthless with it's 10 sec duration + small aoe. It's simply more efficient to grab another heal or 3rd AD for example.
    edited January 2016

Teh quote

How come you've ignored all the useless powers they've added and/or nerfed in other powersets?

Strafing run nerf/Nuclear Shockwave/Gravity Ripple/Ice Barrief nerf/Sonic Boom generator/Gas pellets nerf/Orbital cannon(still worthless)/and the list goes on and on if we'll go back in time when Ego Storm was nerfed.

Stop over-exaggerating really, other power sets also get the same treatment with useless power additions and over-nerfed powers. I also want my favorite might/bestial/unarmed powersets to be buffed but I don't run around spamming and asking for buffs in each thread, I know that other powersets deserve attention too and noting makes my favorites more important than others + devs have other priorities at the moment anyway, for example fixing long standing bugs is obviously a better usage of time at this point, considering how many things are broken in this game.

P.S. Btw, Fractal Aegis is also pretty worthless with it's 10 sec duration + small aoe. It's simply more efficient to grab another heal or 3rd AD for example.
    Read what I said at the start. "Let's look at a few things" I did not intend to look at everything, nor am I denying that there has not been nerfs in other sets.

But when you look at the additions other sets have had...most of them were meaningful and are still widely used (New Laser Sword is an exception but still not as bad as New Telepathy IMO).

Strafing Run was nerfed because it was apparently dealing too much damage. Based on the numbers I've seen just having it hit me in PvP (yes, you are welcome to argue it was because of my build not having enough defense/not being built as a PvP toon, and you would be absolutely right) but also what I've seen it do to entire groups of NPCs is pretty crazy. I'd have no problem if Strafing Run's damage was the same and the power was changed to be an Ultimate ability, but it isn't one.

Nuclear Shockwave. - No arguments there. Either it was intended to be a maintain and someone forgot to make it that way OR it is missing a few zeros.

Gravity Ripple - Again I wouldn't have made the choice that this power for players can be interrupted. I would have had it reset on interrupt or function a bit like some PA powers which still work when your character is knocked.

Ice Barrier - Please explain this nerf? This power has kept it's original damage resist values and has an AoE heal added to it. I am struggling to see the nerf here. I use this power myself, so I would be interested to know what you mean by this.

Sonic Boom Generator - Please explain this nerf. I do not use this power.

Gas Pellets - Was apparently doing to much damage (even to bosses) and as a result was adjusted. I can't comment on that too much since I've only used the power a couple of times. I will say, I think the "where it lands" bit of this power needs tweaking.

Orbital Cannon - With certain combinations this power does pretty good damage (15k upwards), however I do agree something needs to be done with regard it's "spawn location to hit" time. The delay is way too long. I would reduce it to 1.5 seconds.

I'm not over exaggerating at all, if you really want to look into things we can take this to PMs and both trawl through the forums but I don't think that's what you wanted out of this.

The core point is that the set (Telepathy) is primarily geared (both in terms of theme and in mechanics) towards supportive endeavors which are mainly focused on providing Crowd Control, it's main mechanic unlike ALL the other powers parent power sets, is geared towards CROWD CONTROL, not DAMAGE.

So as Crowd Control has gotten weaker and zero positive attention has been paid to it, you see why it is difficult to not question if there is legitimate hate directed towards Telepathy. As far as I am concerned, yes there is, due to the entire concept and in game mechanics it so desperately tries to represent.

In fact, I would like you to find another power set in Champions Online which has the main mechanic behind it as Crowd Control. Not "power sets which have crowd control abilities". But a power set which has an energy unlock which is primarily geared towards having opponents under some sort of control or has a higher than normal percentage of crowd control abilities within it.

Once you've done that get back to me.

As for Fractal Aegis, I've seen a few tanks put it to good use actually.

So as Crowd Control has gotten weaker and zero positive attention has been paid to it, you see why it is difficult to not question if there is legitimate hate directed towards Telepathy.

Think you've got your causes backwards there -- if there's any 'hate' there it's directed at crowd control, not telepathy, and telepathy just suffers because it uses crowd control.

And you're ignoring that it takes *16s* for Mental Storm to deal its full damage. Most enemies don't last 1/3 that long, especially in team content. All those other powers get their damage frontloaded.

Like money, damage now is worth more than damage later.

So as Crowd Control has gotten weaker and zero positive attention has been paid to it, you see why it is difficult to not question if there is legitimate hate directed towards Telepathy.

Think you've got your causes backwards there -- if there's any 'hate' there it's directed at crowd control, not telepathy, and telepathy just suffers because it uses crowd control.
    Not really, if you read on, you'd see that I already stated that...

And you're ignoring that it takes *16s* for Mental Storm to deal its full damage.

Because it doesn't really matter; the stuff that lasts less than 16s is also not hold immune and will thus be paralyzed.
  • christy300christy300 Posts: 35 Arc User
    so much nerf XD what the game will be in 2020! LOL actually the game need some buff and bugs fixing

-Cooldown reduction was kinda a mistake to nerf instead of fixing bugs they didn't, they should've done bugs fix in first place and after the nerf now it's kinda a mess

- They killed growth build the only fun i had for years in this game, What alse they going to kill in the game i mean nerf because in PTS they did nerf ascension now ascension can't heal other payers so what else ?
    edited January 2016

And you're ignoring that it takes *16s* for Mental Storm to deal its full damage.

Because it doesn't really matter; the stuff that lasts less than 16s is also not hold immune and will thus be paralyzed.
    And many of those other powers don't have significant bonuses against hold immune threats? Like Chest Beams -12% resistance debuff (Admittedly, that's getting nerfed, but for stupid reasons, and it will still benefit chest beam.) Or SR's clinging flames (moar damage).

I need to go check what clinging flames dps is, it probably makes complaining about Mental Storm look silly.

Edit:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gv7Ia6Ctxw-vV7kombo3jNSjUqioMo5oYK3JT0c7uoY/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1986175771

Mental Storm does not have exceptional dps even compared to other DoTs. The only ones that perform significantly worse than it are other telepathy DoTs and Flashfire (which doesn't include the dps from the auto-applied Clinging Flames). In fact, if you exclude those low outliers, its near the bottom of the dps for DoT powers. (And emphasize, most of the ones with worse dps are telepathy...).

Its cd is on the high end, only less than the two 30s cd powers.

Its e cost is on the low end, but e-cost is pretty much irrelevant for a telepath, because Telepathic Reverberations.

Its 'cast' time is middle of the road.

Most of the others also include some sort of benefit, like a debuff or other effect. And while Mental Storm has two (paralyze + debuff), only one is going to be relevant against a particular target (those which last long enough to actually pick up the debuff tend to be immune to the paralyze), so its comparable there too, and whatever small fraction of enemies suffer both balances it being on the low end of dps.

In short, it looks perfectly comparable to every other DoT in other powersets, if slightly on the weak side. If anything, the other telepathy DoTs need a buff.
    Post edited by squirrelloid on
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Bug:
    [Force Shield Belt] has the same FX as [Demonic Flesh Graft].
    Speaking of Mental Storm's cooldown, it is has been a little hard to stack after the CDR nerf. Since Mental Storm has been brought in line with other DoTs, could we have a QoL adjustment to shorten its cooldown closer to something like Hex's?
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    selphea wrote: »
    Speaking of Mental Storm's cooldown, it is has been a little hard to stack after the CDR nerf. Since Mental Storm has been brought in line with other DoTs, could we have a QoL adjustment to shorten its cooldown closer to something like Hex's?

If the cooldown is to be shortened the duration and damage would need to be brought in line with the new cd. Mental Storm has a lengthy duration, which can be perceived as a good thing as it doesn't have to be maintained as much as other dots and is constant damage even when you're unable to attack.

I have no plans to further tweak Mental Storm. The damage is solid, it provides a plethora of utility and synergizes incredibly well with many specs.​​
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    Bug: After today's patch, Seraphim ticks seem to be placing my character in combat, even just standing in Ren Cen with no one around. This is what I noticed: 1) My Flight travel power won't increase past in-combat speed while Seraphim is slotted. 2) Mouse-over tooltips for powers do not display while Seraphim is slotted and "Hide tray tooltips during combat" is set to "On". 3) The Ren Cen TP device charge is interrupted almost immediately, and the icon continually switches back and forth between showing normally and being grayed out.

Feedback: I like the new changes to Skarn's. The debuffs it can apply now are generally more helpful and thematic, and, with Ao's healing being scaled down, the removal of the buff-stripping mechanic isn't much of a loss anymore.
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    So is Servitor Serum anywhere?
    I think the timer on Manipulator stacks may need another look and some more testing.

The issue is a combination of:
    a) the number of control powers is still pretty limited compared to powers that can trigger e.g. Concentration;
    b.) a high proportion of CC powers are on timers;
    c.) control affects on targets don't stack (it's actually counter-production to try to reapply on an already affected target), so you're not generally spamming them the way you do attack powers or heals;
    d.) since many control powers don't affect high ranked targets, they tend to not get used as much in those situations

I think these are some of the justifications for the higher timer on Manipulator stacks.

• kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I think the timer on Manipulator stacks may need another look and some more testing.

The issue is a combination of:
    a) the number of control powers is still pretty limited compared to powers that can trigger e.g. Concentration;
    b.) a high proportion of CC powers are on timers;
    c.) control affects on targets don't stack (it's actually counter-production to try to reapply on an already affected target), so you're not generally spamming them the way you do attack powers or heals;
    d.) since many control powers don't affect high ranked targets, they tend to not get used as much in those situations

I think these are some of the justifications for the higher timer on Manipulator stacks.

Forms are intended to reward players for engaging in a certain activity. Manipulator having a minute long duration went against that concept and was essentially just a second passive. I am aware that many mezzes aren't proccing it properly, and will address those as I can (many of the devices tweaked in this update that apply mezzes should trigger manipulator now).

Rage still has its duration scaling from con from the stone ages, and perhaps other forms can get something similar in the future.​​
  • ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    kaizerin said:

Forms are intended to reward players for engaging in a certain activity. Manipulator having a minute long duration went against that concept and was essentially just a second passive. I am aware that many mezzes aren't proccing it properly, and will address those as I can (many of the devices tweaked in this update that apply mezzes should trigger manipulator now).

Rage still has its duration scaling from con from the stone ages, and perhaps other forms can get something similar in the future.​​

Would you honestly expect a Mezzer who's playing their role properly to be proccing Manip more than once every 20 seconds? I wouldn't. Except in prolonged boss fights, but in those instances the duration hardly matters as you are spamming like a DPS anyway, since control effects don't work. But in regular engagements you need to pace out use of control due to the resistance stacks.

The activity that Manipulator rewards is a simply a slower-paced playstyle than what most other forms call for. It needs that extra time. Maybe not a full minute, but more than 20 seconds.

-Ogre
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Since were talking bout CC and standardization, I'll just point out that the newer single target paralyze powers (bolas and binding shot) activate on tap.
    If the older "stone age" paralyze powers activated on tap as well instead of needing to be charged, that would help Manipulators spam more and adapt to this change better.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    ok
    acheronic mace. q store- 40 charges- 5k of Q, MCPD vendor 100 charges 5 recog
    infernal wand - q store -30 charges- 10k Q, mcpd vendor 25 charges- 5 recog
    greater demonic pact- 5k in Q or 5 recog

merce breastplate of agility has +124 avoidance, distinguished has +76 avoid

on the heirloom gear, could we have a note stating how much health/energy is received on foes death or what stat it scales on
    @kaizerin​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2016
    Just to pass along some more data on the topic of Manipulator, here's a short vid of me testing Manipulator stacking on PTS with my main magic-themed controller toon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqSR8lGQWR0

He uses the following control powers:
    • Ego Sleep -- has a timer
    • Hex of Suffering with Rune of Lethargy adv -- has a timer
    • Rebuke with Admonish adv -- doesn't proc Manipulator
    • (new) Skarn's Bane -- doesn't proc Manipulator
    In the video, you can see the most I manage from the three spawns is 4 Manipulator stacks. I've run this test multiple times, and I do sometimes manage to get more short-lived stacks if that's my main objective, but I die more because I'm not doing any damage and they've become resistant to the mez effects.

QUOTE:
    - Skarns Bane cost reduced slightly and can now apply Fear, Confuse, Disorient, Lethargy, Bleed, Poison, Clinging Flames, Stun and Stagger.

* having a 20% of a debuff per tick is okay, but when the debuff you get is Clinging Flames, Bleed, or Poison, it stinks

Could Skarn's only apply the other sorts of debuffs: Fear, Disorient, Lethargy, Stun, and Stagger. These debuffs present more general utility than minor DoTs a magic hero will likely not be able to take advantage of.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    - Ao'Qephoth's Shadow Feast is much less potent now. His Devour Essence is slightly less potent and heals for much less when blocked.

FINALLY! ITS OVER! NO MORE UNBEATABLE BURST ALERTS!
    The Worm got Nerfed
    Rot in Qliphothic Hell you you Fish Bait!!
    onion-16.gif
    - Medical Nanites range has been increased to 100ft.
    - Medical Nanites now gives res all, instead of res to dots.

This RedeemsMN for me, I always hated that power for support
    The Resistance to all damage is MORE than Welcome, it may won't as powerful as Aura of Radiant Protection Resistance but its more than Welcome
    onion-22.gif
    - All Illumination ranks should work with the Judgement advantage on Ascension.
    - Slightly increased the damage and heal on Judgement.
    - Increased the range on Judgement to 100ft.
    - Different ranks of Illumination on a target/ally will proc the Judgement effect multiple times. Example: If one player applies a R1 Illumination to a ally, and another player applies a R2 version, when using Judgement it will consume both and apply a heal for each different rank consumed.

Illumination gets Redeemed for me as well!

Skarns Bane cost reduced slightly and can now apply Fear, Confuse, Disorient, Lethargy, Bleed, Poison, Clinging Flames, Stun and Stagger.

BELLISSIMO
    Thank you very much for take Feedbacks for this subject, Fear and Disorient will give synergy with the other paranormal frameworks

I have no Idea what Lethargy is! I assume it's like Hex of Suffering Rune of Lethargy ADV​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!

I have no plans to further tweak Mental Storm. The damage is solid, it provides a plethora of utility and synergizes incredibly well with many specs.​​
    Agree that it provides a lot of utility which needs to be taken into account. It's strong when taken as a whole. Ideally though, I'd like more specialized options or powers, but that's outside the scope of a balance pass.
    edited January 2016
    The newer version of Seraphim with Balance works as intended, and heals the user of Seraphim, as well.

On my level 40 healer toon, Support Passive, 375 Presence, +80% bonus healing or so: heal component is about 225 per tick, damage is about 40 per tick.

On the other hand, Medical Nanites really got a boost, and this change makes for an interesting choice: more team healing with resistance, or some team healing, heal bonus, and attack bonus. An active healer toon would get more benefit from Seraphim, but a petmaster or someone who wanted only passive healing would get more from Nanites.

BUG: Rejuvenate Spec still does nothing with the HoT from Seraphim w/Balance or Vala's Light w/Light Everlasting.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I'm guessing the Manipulator timer increase, has something to do with the Telepathy DOT powers all triggering it. If you go pure Telepathy (Shadow of Doubt, Mental Leech, Mental Storm) you can keep Manipulator stacked up pretty well. However, I very rarely see builds like this.

Does DEV data show different?

It's just hard for me to imagine Manipulator performing so well that it's acting like a "second passive". Hardly anyone ever uses that toggle, besides hard core Crowd Controllers. And those are few and far between. Still scratching my head over why such a niche toggle is getting this kind of attention.​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!