What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Giving Needy Children A Friend for the Holidays

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Build-A-Bear was kind enough to donate a free bear out of 21, and had given me a 40 dollar gift certificate off the next purchase I made. I have no doubt I'll be saving it for the next WInter Event. The bears have been bought, but I'm currently looking into a better place than giving the bears to Salvation Army.

That sounds so impersonal, just handing them over to someone else. So, I will be calling the head of one of our local school districts. I know this man very well, as I had worked under him, and went to school under his district for quite some time.

I'll update in the next few days after speaking with him, Thanks again to all of you who donated to this charity drive.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jackalope wrote:
    On behalf of Cryptic, I want to apologize for how we at Cryptic dealt with this. There was a great community initiative, in the spirit of Christmas, and we did not handle things well on our end.

There's no excuse. A bunch of people who knew what was happening didn't communicate to those who didn't. Yes, devs play the game but sometimes there's simply not enough communication. This happens in a larger company; people assume that someone else is handling it.

I'm in Indianapolis now at my in-laws and I return to work on next Wednesday. I promise that I'll look into the why's here and make sure that this ge's fixed.

A bunch of people were worried about getting to their holiday vacation and forgot about WHY they were going on vacation..

The end.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That sounds so impersonal, just handing them over to someone else. So, I will be calling the head of one of our local school districts. I know this man very well, as I had worked under him, and went to school under his district for quite some time.

I'll update in the next few days after speaking with him, Thanks again to all of you who donated to this charity drive.
    I would suggest that you could also looking into a local childrens hospital/ward as a drop off for the bears. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A bunch of people were worried about getting to their holiday vacation and forgot about WHY they were going on vacation..

The end.

On the other hand, judging from this thread especially, I have to say I'd be in a rush to take a break from this "community" as well.

Can't blame them there.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    On the other hand, judging from this thread especially, I have to say I'd be in a rush to take a break from this "community" as well.

Can't blame them there.
    You know, most of the WildCards agree with what this thread offered.

You're the first I've heard who didn't.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dang... I just re-read the thread and I was blown away.

Seriously? People thought you were taking the sets for yourself?

I'm sorry that you got so much crap MP. I'm glad you didn't give up after all the bad comments and I am willing to help next year also. I sent you every sets I had and I don't think I should have had doubts.

Well Let's say it was some kind of in-game scam (make believe, I know it isn't) You would have sold them to some vendor for some in-game cash? Man, that sure is a lot but I didn't need 'em so meh! Or you could have bought some of those crackers? I wasn't even interested!

I made the good choice. I may be a bit late but I wish a happy new year MP and I honestly hope people will change. Being mistrustful and mean toward each other must really be fun if everyone is doing it! :rolleyes:

Not very heroic in my opinion though...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Originally Posted by masterdx
    I'm sorry that you got so much crap MP. I'm glad you didn't give up after all the bad comments and I am willing to help next year also. I sent you every sets I had and I don't think I should have had doubts.

Well Let's say it was some kind of in-game scam (make believe, I know it isn't) You would have sold them to some vendor for some in-game cash? Man, that sure is a lot but I didn't need 'em so meh!
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not assume you were being sarcastic.

Just about everyone and thier mother knew I was getting a crap load of flak for this thing. Yes, this event made me lots of enemies (or made who they were more apparent) but it also made me lots and LOTS of friends who I love teaming with now. I'm worried about what the max is on your friends list at this point.

Even if I did sell those things, masterdx, they are hardly worth anything at all. If this was a truly a scam of some kind, I'd of asked for something more financially valuable than Matching Pen and Pencil sets. Don't think for one second that this is a scam, it's not, and it was never intended to be.

I'm doing this again next year too, the nay-sayers amused me enough to keep going. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be absolutely fair, IF it were a scam (which I want to emphasize I don't believe for a second), there would be better ways to profit off of it then dumping the sets at the vendor.

Maybe most folks can't see those ways, but maybe I'm just more naturally devious than most.

Then again I never beat Xevious, so I have no idea where I'm going at this point.

Anyway, thanks again M_P. Full support here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zombra wrote:
    Maybe most folks can't see those ways, but maybe I'm just more naturally devious than most.
    Yeah well, the only way I can conceive it being profitable is if I were to collect 21,000 of every other garbage item that's in the NPC's list.

No thanks, I may not have an extensive life, but I do have one.

It's not even possible to get that many of every other item. It was barely possible to get 21,000 pen sets!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You know, most of the WildCards agree with what this thread offered.

You're the first I've heard who didn't.:rolleyes:

You misunderstand me there M_P, what I meant was "I sure see why the Devs might want to take a break from this place because of the massive drama over somebody trying to do something nice for a change."

Massive drama annoys the hell out of me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You misunderstand me there M_P, what I meant was "I sure see why the Devs might want to take a break from this place because of the massive drama over somebody trying to do something nice for a change."

Massive drama annoys the hell out of me.
    I was just re-reading it a second ago, and that's what I started thinking.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was just re-reading it a second ago, and that's what I started thinking.

I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.

Not a problem. For the record, the 'Cards were mighty eager to help. Several of us donated individually to your cause there before I was able to wrangle the guys together in our forums and get them to start putting them in the SG vault, heh.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Build-A-Bear was kind enough to donate a free bear out of 21, and had given me a 40 dollar gift certificate off the next purchase I made. I have no doubt I'll be saving it for the next WInter Event. The bears have been bought, but I'm currently looking into a better place than giving the bears to Salvation Army.

M_P, a suggestion. If you have a local Children's Hospital that would be a very good place to take it. My daughter spent Christmas at our Children's Hospital when we discovered she had diabeties and the staff was amazing, they gave toys to all the children and there was a visit from Santa as well. I know it's past christmas now, but I still remember the kindness of all of this in a very trying time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shantak wrote:
    M_P, a suggestion. If you have a local Children's Hospital that would be a very good place to take it. My daughter spent Christmas at our Children's Hospital when we discovered she had diabeties and the staff was amazing, they gave toys to all the children and there was a visit from Santa as well. I know it's past christmas now, but I still remember the kindness of all of this in a very trying time.
    Shantak, I took your earlier post to heart, I'm sorry I didn't respond to it. That is indeed one of the places i'm looking at.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey there Mighty Pencil. I finally read the whole thread. I don't understand how people can be so cynical about what you did and I do apologize for what you had to go through.

I've kept in contact with M_P while he was doing his charity and me and some of my supergroup officers (real life close friends) have sent a box of our stuffed animals to help his charity. I don't understand why some people were suspicious about this charity. Like some have said, it was formerly useless vendor trash and then became NPC Donations that were not even guaranteeing people quality items, it was just random green, blue and purple items. This was an ingame charity and he never asked for real life money donations. I even offered money donations that he declined. The ingame donations didn't really affect many people, it was just trash pretty much. If you feel that he was scamming you, what was he really scamming you from? Pen and Pencil sets that were non existent? I wonder... are some people that materialistic that they take their virtual non existent items seriously? That I just feel is quite disappointing.

Well, I'm sorry for the rant and I may possibly get flamed for it. Me and my friends donated real stuffed animals as well as donating locally as well. For those who choose not to donate ingame trash, I hope those random items did you well and hope you didn't just either sell it or break it down for crafting material. I'm glad many members of this community had a heart to donate non existent material to M_P and i thank you Might Pencil for this charity, this was a great experience for me to see a MMO community to come together and donate for the less fortunate that don't have the luxury of having a computer and play a pay to play subscribed game like we do. They deserve those bears and stuffed animals!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Originally Posted by RequiemDreamer
    I don't understand how people can be so cynical about what you did and I do apologize for what you had to go through.
    I don't know, maybe they think I was implying there was no other alternative for donating to charity other than this event we cooked up.
    I've kept in contact with M_P while he was doing his charity and me and some of my supergroup officers (real life close friends) have sent a box of our stuffed animals to help his charity.
    I was going to credit you, but you beat me to it. I had planned on saving this information for the end, to save you from all the lovely flames, hate mail, and tells that I keep getting. :p
    I don't understand why some people were suspicious about this charity.
    Well now, I've probably done things to harbour images of being a dishonest swindler. Some of you should really get to talkin' with the ol' pencil. You might find we have a lot more in common than you think.
    Like some have said, it was formerly useless vendor trash and then became NPC Donations that were not even guaranteeing people quality items, it was just random green, blue and purple items.
    Yes, I gave one of my good friends permission to use 250 pencil sets to see what a purple party cracker gave him. It gave him a purple, non Winter Event enhancement that was 8 End and 9 Con. Those party crackers seem to just take enhancements from the existing drop table, and it's incredibly unlikely you'll get anything useful out of them, at least more useful than supplying children with real teddy bears.
    If you feel that he was scamming you, what was he really scamming you from?
    A bunch of other people have asked that here, the nay-sayers won't give a straight answer on it. It should also go down in the record books that this is not a scam, will not be, and has not ever been. :rolleyes:

Seriously, my room here is full of Build-A-Bear boxes. I had to make a path from my door to my bed to my computer chair. 21 bears takes up more room than it sounds! :eek:
    I wonder... are some people that materialistic that they take their virtual non existent items seriously?
    Silly isn't it? That's just human nature, I bet we'll hear. I got something to say to that one, humans make thier own decisions. Human nature also plays an enormous role in allowing people who's first instictual reaction to horde and think of themselves, the chance to step away, and share something with those who truly need the help. Although normally I don't think of myself anyways, my mom needs more help than a fly stuck in a spiderweb.
    I'm glad many members of this community had a heart to donate non existent material to M_P and i thank you Might Pencil for this charity, this was a great experience for me to see a MMO community to come together and donate for the less fortunate that don't have the luxury of having a computer and play a pay to play subscribed game like we do.
    I'm glad to see how many people participated, it exceeded my expectations ten fold. Everyone deserves an enormous gold medal for helping, but sadly I can only give you this;

Thank you so much for your donations, fellow heroes! While this game may eventually dwindle and die, those bears will remain lifelong friends to the children we have helped!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shantak, I took your earlier post to heart, I'm sorry I didn't respond to it. That is indeed one of the places i'm looking at.

I posted earlier on it? Man so many posts I even forgot that I mentioned it before, lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hello there, M_P, as they call you; I just wanted drop by this thread to let you know that I truly and sincerely admire what you have done for these needy children. It takes a true person to accept free, virtual pixels and then use your own money to buy the bears for the less fotunate. I saw you over by the ACI building the other day and tried to commemorate you there, but you were apparently in the tailor. I don't see why people would hate you for something like this; not even the lowest scum on this Earth are capable of such a scam. As that lawyer in Westside that the Maniacs were harrasing said to me, "No good deed goes unpunished." But they don't go unrewarded either. I am firm believer in Karma and I know you'll recieve good fortune in reutrn for your actions.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This was what made the event actually pretty fun. Trying to open those presents and wishing for a pencil set. Odd thing was after Pencil stopped collecting, got a ton those sets like their numbers suddenly increased. I don't know if that happened to anyone else but it did to me and another person I know also mentioned to me in channel too.

But thanks, Pencil. As I put my top 3 likes and dislikes about the event, the only good thing I could even think of about the event was this charity drive so it was the only thing I listed as a like. My top dislike was the way Cryptic screwed it over but I had other dislikes too.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shantak wrote:

This sounds great to me. Or a local Ronald McDonald House.

Also, why not collect the coal next year since it truely was vendor trash AND you'd be turning coal into presents. Sounds like the kind of irony we all need in life....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They did know in fact T. M. Pencil had the sets cornered prior to them changing the rules turning stuff some were vendor selling into a valuable commodity. No time to look up but didn't CO participate in a thread promoting the charity?

While coal was worthless, it would have made a decent substitute or better yet "wildcard" accompanied by explaination why pen/pencil sets held no trade in value, donate to a good cause, see T. M. Pencils announcement if you wish. Am I missing something (other than breaking the traditional "coal is NG Christmas spirit"). The pen/pencil sets still benifit charity, no shortage of trade in items.

Bottom Line is how can creating an event intended to be experienced by thousands be developed in a vacume? Unless they were familiar with puplic events of this magnitute being succesfull in the past, what were they thinking? Odds of being a success are same as me getting "rare" item from "the Bear".

Now, to top it off, Not a word. Damage control at its best will intercede the damage spreading. I hate to see companys fail because of ego. It's unecessary. Who deligated the task? If you dont have the talent for the job, better get it. Marketing, Sales and CFO (the real deal, not promoted from within no exp.), few none biased players should have all been involved. Two one hour meetings would have sufficed. This event had revenue generating opportunities while making players happy and talk about how good it was. Noticed questions being asked in game that would have turned the event into profit not a disaster. Costume Pieces/sets given/made easy to get, Ya think people won't buy additional costume slots? Not all, better than not. Others similiar and not.

Don't Let Ego Hinder rational thinking, no one can perform both far right and far left brain tasks with the degree of competency this game requires . Or, it could be companies strapped, no working capital, over their head putting it all on the line with these 2 games. Reputation is being built on this one? WtF am I writing this for? Habit I guess, well over 35 years of hard core experience. Traded in Business and dealing with people for rescuing animals, dogs and horses most. saved literally hundreds in not a lot of time. We also provide free riding lessons for kids who's fathers in Military, Foster homes, Homless shelters, battered women, ARC, big brother,sister. We have the most wonderful Volunteers helping us and a Great Staff. What a relief it is to recognize how many really nice, genuine people are on this planet. Past life didn't allow that. So Thanks much T. M. Pencil for what you are doing. It is appreciated.

just remembered -- hugs are fun mashing keys are better. therapy.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Any updates? How about some lovely photos of the bears?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dardove wrote:
    Any updates? How about some lovely photos of the bears?
    Read a little bit back in the thread. There's your update.

I can't get to it right now, so don't troll me over it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Veruca wrote:
    Illusion? I think those 17 teddybears will be very real to the kids. Remember, if nobody sat inert in front of a computer clicking virtual boxes, those children would have had nothing. ;)

lol so only because someone decided to send fake items through a virtual world, that the children got something? what?

Anyhoo, Grats on helping the children, MP.

There, kids got teddies, MP got his pat on the back that he needed, and the world is a better place overall because of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Diluant wrote:
    There, kids got teddies, MP got his pat on the back that he needed, and the world is a better place overall because of it.
    I don't need sarcastic pats on the back.

I don't even need pats on the back.

これはそれを必要としたコミュニティを助けることだった。

So I'd appreciate it if you toned down the sarcasm.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

My aren't you touchy... I sense a struck nerve as you doth protest too much.

I offered grats as a lot of your posts in this thread seem to indicate how much you did, and why and all that good stuff. I just figured you REALLY needed that pat on the back, or else you would have let it die a loooong time ago, and just chalked up your goodness to a + on the 'karma' scale.

So, in closing. Grats for helping the kids!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

MPは日本語が話せますか? すごい ((((゜д゜; ))))

And Diluant, there really was no need to revive this thread just to make that post.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

And Diluant, there really was no need to revive this thread just to make that post.

Yes, yes there was, as it was revived, not by me, a few days ago. So yes, I felt like patting him on the back.

If he, or you doesn't want that pat, that's fine. I gave it, regardless.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes I can, and wtf.

This thread would have been revived anyways by myself in a few days.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes I can, and wtf.

This thread would have been revived anyways by myself in a few days.

I mean, reviving a thread is one thing. But reviving it to make a snarky remark I find in bad taste.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I mean, reviving a thread is one thing. But reviving it to make a snarky remark I find in bad taste.
    And you expected better from the likes of Diluant?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And you expected better from the likes of Diluant?

Wow, you take compliments very well...

I applaud both your duty to humanity, as well as your ability to be self-less and except compliments without looking for the dagger coming at your back.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No one made any snarky comments. I find your opinion to be in bad taste, as well as you trying to start something in such a peaceful thread.

Please, just stop.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can think what you will of my post but I am entitled to it as you are to your own opinion. This
    Diluant wrote:
    lol so only because someone decided to send fake items through a virtual world, that the children got something? what? <--- here

Anyhoo, Grats on helping the children, MP.

There, kids got teddies, MP got his pat on the back that he needed, and the world is a better place overall because of it.<--- here

In my opinion, is sarcastic and otherwise unnecessary in this thread. There's nothing to discuss of that, it's simply my opinion. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's nothing to discuss of that, it's simply my opinion. :)
    Simply his opinion.

And mine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can think what you will of my post but I am entitled to it as you are to your own opinion. This

In my opinion, is sarcastic and otherwise unnecessary in this thread. There's nothing to discuss of that, it's simply my opinion. :)

Understood. Here I thought you were just trying to start something in a humanitarian thread, where someone was getting a congratulations for doing a job well done.

If you now want to say that everything is an opinion and back out gracefully, while saving face, since you now realize you spoke out of turn, then why did you suggest that my post was unnecessary, if it is my opinion, when you then say that I shouldn't have offered it, in the process of offering your own opinion.

Seems awfully one-sided and rather circular logic you used to tell me I was wrong for congratulating someone.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really is any of this necessary ? This thread managed to violate nearly all of the forum usage guidelines and still hasn't been locked . Anyone home Cryptic ? Hello ? Stop this please.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LAFURY wrote:
    Really is any of this necessary ? This thread managed to violate nearly all of the forum usage guidelines and still hasn't been locked . Anyone home Cryptic ? Hello ? Stop this please.
    A charity thread violated nearly all the guidelines?

What the hell are you smoking?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Understood. Here I thought you were just trying to start something in a humanitarian thread, where someone was getting a congratulations for doing a job well done.

If you now want to say that everything is an opinion and back out gracefully, while saving face, since you now realize you spoke out of turn, then why did you suggest that my post was unnecessary, if it is my opinion, when you then say that I shouldn't have offered it, in the process of offering your own opinion.

I like how you like to make your post so wordy, and also how you put words in my mouth. I never said or implied that I spoke out of turn, as I said earlier, I gave my opinion as you gave yours. If you're so offended by my initial opinion that it was unnecessary to revive this thread with what seemed to be a sarcastic remark, that sounds like your problem, not mine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Simply his opinion.

And mine.

and?

We already established you cannot take a compliment.

If I was mistaken in offering you congratulations for helping the children, then I duly apologize. I had no idea you would be so offended at the mere thought that someone would appreciate your hard work and effort for the children.

So, in short, I TAKE BACK the compliment I offered, since you are obviously very self-less, and perhaps my compliments may embarrass you in some way. I was not trying to make you as a saint, or place you on a pedestal. I simply offered my small meager praise for a job well done.

Come to think of it, when people were saying negative things about why/how you did things, you got rather defensive in your posts... hmm one would have thought you would have been a tad nicer to people saying good things, and not dish out such negativity. Maybe you have been jaded and need to rend your anger out on someone...then, I understand. You may feel under-appreciated and outed by the very community you sought to bind together...

If that is the case, I concede your point, and realize you are not mad at me, simply lashing out in misplaced anger and what you saw as sarcastic thanks.

Good day, MP. I would say congrats, but well, I don't want to offend you, or have you misunderstand my intentions again.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like how you like to make your post so wordy, and also how you put words in my mouth. I never said or implied that I spoke out of turn, as I said earlier, I gave my opinion as you gave yours. If you're so offended by my initial opinion that it was unnecessary to revive this thread with what seemed to be a sarcastic remark, that sounds like your problem, not mine.

I stand my my initial thought, please stop 'starting things'. You offer an opinion, I offer mine, you then counter my opinion with an opinion on how you can't be wrong. It is circular logic that flows nowhere, but back into itself.

I will let you 'win'. There, does that feel better, or give your opinion the validation and attention that you seem to crave?

Good day.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Diluant wrote:
    please stop 'starting things'.
    lol

10lols
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol

10lols

By the way, I do love the bumps you give your own post. It is a brilliant way to keep your exploits and the plight of the children under constant scrutiny.

Just wanted to let you know, it is wonderful.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A charity thread violated nearly all the guidelines?

What the hell are you smoking?

Read the guidelines . It violates numbers 2 , 3, 4 , 5, 11, 12, 14, 15 both by creation and the content from participants therein .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Diluant wrote:
    I stand my my initial thought, please stop 'starting things'. You offer an opinion, I offer mine, you then counter my opinion with an opinion on how you can't be wrong. It is circular logic that flows nowhere, but back into itself.

I will let you 'win'. There, does that feel better, or give your opinion the validation and attention that you seem to crave?

Good day.

Circular logic's such a fun thing for you right? I personally think this wouldn't have been incited if not for a certain quote earlier.
    Diluant wrote:

No one made any snarky comments. I find your opinion to be in bad taste, as well as you trying to start something in such a peaceful thread.

Please, just stop.

And I see this is supposed to be a contest now that you're letting me I win? That's fun too, I guess. But it's late and I have work in the morning, so I'm going to hoppy off the Diluant Merry-Go-Round.

Cheers. I'm sure you'll be up a while longer going tit for tat with someone, so I'll let you keep this one.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LAFURY wrote:
    Read the guidelines . It violates numbers 2 , 3, 4 , 5, 11, 12, 14, 15 both by creation and the content from participants therein .

Oh and that's why the DEVS themselves put this thread on the front page and promoted the thing MP wanted to do? Seriously?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Circular logic's such a fun thing for you right? I personally think this wouldn't have been incited if not for a certain quote earlier.

And I see this is supposed to be a contest now that you're letting me I win? That's fun too, I guess. But it's late and I have work in the morning, so I'm going to hoppy off the Diluant Merry-Go-Round.

Cheers. I'm sure you'll be up a while longer going tit for tat with someone, so I'll let you keep this one.

Good night. Have a good day at work.

I will keep telling everyone online how ultimately brilliant you are, and how you 'schooled' someone in proper 'Thank you' and 'opinion' etiquette.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Diluant wrote:
    Good night. Have a good day at work.

I will keep telling everyone online how ultimately brilliant you are, and how you 'schooled' someone in proper 'Thank you' and 'opinion' etiquette.

Aren't you a dear. ;) That's why we love you Diluant.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aren't you a dear. ;) That's why we love you Diluant.

Why thank you. That was very kind of you to say.

Please, don't make me blush.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LAFURY wrote:
    Lol.

The devs gave the thumbs up for this thread in like fourteen different ways.