test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Giving Needy Children A Friend for the Holidays

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
This season, it's important we think of those less fortunate than ourselves. We have PCs and whatnot, and they don't get anything as nice as what we do. There are children all over the world that aren't as happy as most of us are. I can't do much for these holidays, because I myself am pretty close to that point. But here's what I can do;

For every 1,000 Matching Pen and Pencil Sets I get from people in game, I will donate a bear curtousy of Build A Bear Workshop USA To needy children this christmas. In these hard and economically unstable times, children sometimes need small furry friends to help them.

A bear goes a long way for children, I know that very well. How about helping out a child instead of tossing those seemingly useless items? Remember; 1,000 may seem like a lot, but if everyone is on board with it, we can all easily amass multiples of the Matching Pen and Pencil Sets. ;)

Melkathi also seems to be starting an event for Festive Sock drops, it seems he's collaborating with another to donate to his charity of choice in this Thread here.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=94373

Feel free to contact me through game email or Tells while i'm in-game if you would like more information. If I'm not on just email me, and I'll get back to any questions/concerns when I get back.

You can send your Pen and Pencil Sets to me via the UNTIL mailing system. Please hold off on sending small amounts at one time, I have a lot to sift through when that happens. :p

You can friend me or whatever by using @Mighty_Pencil. Now go on and git' searching!

The event's deadline has been changed to the 25th, I am sorry if this has inconvenienced any of you.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Wow, this is a pretty amazing thing of you to do.

Like, wow. I'll definitely be sending you everyone I find.

You're a brilliant person Mr. Pencil :D
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love teddy bears!

Hope you'll get swamped with Pen and Pencil sets then :)

Illumisar and I are still looking into some small details of our event.
    It's good to see that at least you managed to go ahead with this though and we'll make sure that whatever we do exactly in the end, it will not affect pen and pencils, so we don't antagonize this.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're a brilliant person Mr. Pencil :D
    It's not common this happens, I'm usually somewhat of a Grinch. :p

Those needy children deserve some level of happiness. This year, this is the only thing I can afford. With some of my friends backing the financial end, I can finally do it.

Hey... Tell your friends about it too, Darkblade. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    melkathi wrote:
    I love teddy bears!

Hope you'll get swamped with Pen and Pencil sets then :)

Illumisar and I are still looking into some small details of our event.
    It's good to see that at least you managed to go ahead with this though and we'll make sure that whatever we do exactly in the end, it will not affect pen and pencils, so we don't antagonize this.
    Melkathi, I don't want any hard feelings. Daeke gave me an early Christmas gift, an epiphany. (No not a game one, get over yourselves guys.)

Let's do our best to get along, Melkathi.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Melkathi, I don't want any hard feelings. Daeke gave me an early Christmas gift, an epiphany. (No not a game one, get over yourselves guys.)

Let's do our best to get along, Melkathi.

That was the spirit of my previous post in this thread. After all, if two people in a game forum can't get along over christmas while talking charity... that would be pretty sad, right?

And yes , I'm going to send you a stack of pencils myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    melkathi wrote:
    And yes , I'm going to send you a stack of pencils myself.
    Very well, you shall get the Festive Socks I amass. I can't see anything else I'd do with those things if it wasn't for your thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What do you get for collecting these?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Smackwell wrote:
    What do you get for collecting these?
    They do nothing in the official game, they're literally junk items you get out of presents. The only thing they're good for is Vendor Trash, and they still don't get you that much money.

The ideas Melkathi and myself have had for these items is far more useful than selling them anyways. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can I make a request? Make all Bears superhero-themed. I remember this one bear that was a superhero in some animated movie from when I was a kid, it was awesome.

On a more serious note, I love the fact that you're going through with something like this. I always thought those things looked cool, and to actually donate them to a cause that needs it? My hat's off to you, Mister Pencil.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Calsetes wrote:
    Can I make a request? Make all Bears superhero-themed. I remember this one bear that was a superhero in some animated movie from when I was a kid, it was awesome.
    It might be something to consider, yes. However, I'll have to get back to Build A Bear with the additional cost of clothing for the bears. Although I'm under the impression those 10$ bears come with your choice of clothing, so it might be doable.

I've also never personally been in Build A Bear, so it also is a factor on wether or not they have the clothes for it.:p
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Awesome idea Mighty_Pencil. It's a great thing you're doing and I shall send you all of mine that I can acquire.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Saldan wrote:
    Awesome idea Mighty_Pencil. It's a great thing you're doing and I shall send you all of mine that I can acquire.
    It's only fitting that the item be Matching Pen and Pencil Set, me being a pencil and all.

Tell your friends about this too! We need all the !@#$ing bears we can get!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It might be something to consider, yes. However, I'll have to get back to Build A Bear with the additional cost of clothing for the bears. Although I'm under the impression those 10$ bears come with your choice of clothing, so it might be doable.

I've also never personally been in Build A Bear, so it also is a factor on wether or not they have the clothes for it.:p

In the costumes they at least have Batman.

http://www.buildabear.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?ProductSKU=13205&Category=Costumes&CallingPage=ProductSummary
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mythntyme wrote:
    That's hilarious.

But my fears are now recognized, the costumes cost a seperate amount of money, which is something I cannot do. When one of my family friends comes up for the holiday, I'll enlist his help to speak further with Build A Bear, and see what we can do.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have three questions:

1- What are these pencils/pens?
    2- What do they do?
    3- Why don't you have a picture of your toon on your avatar, or at least a picture of a pencil?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    duba wrote:
    I have three questions:

1- What are these pencils/pens?
    2- What do they do?
    3- Why don't you have a picture of your toon on your avatar, or at least a picture of a pencil?
    1. They are an item you get out of presents during the Winter Event, which will be Live on the TODAY.

2. They take up space in your inventory, they're otherwise useless items unless you want to sell them at Trainers for 20-something cents over donating them to a cause such as this.

3. Avatar pictures are bugged. You'll know about it as soon as it happens to you.

Now go out and get some Matching Pen and Pencil Sets! Move, move Soldier!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well I've got a few people on board for this, but I'd love to have more.

Help those kids get bears for the holidays, it's really not such a chore.

Remember to mail me all your Matching Pen and Pencil Sets, at the end they will be counted using advanced quadratic formulas i.e. Plastic Calculators, and then I will determine how many bears we need. It's still 1 bear for every thousand pen and pencil sets I get, every little bit helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I got my entire supergroup working on this now. We'll be sending you our pens and pencil sets every friday until the event ends, and on the final day of the event as well. I hope we can donate plenty!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sure I'll send mine over, should collect quite a few pens and pencils as I seems to be having a crap action figure drop rate so I'm gonna be farming pressies for hours. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is a brilliant idea. Lets hope we get good drops on these things!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thank you for your support fellow heroes, It's not just me thanking you, it's also those children who will be getting those teddy bears.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey Pencil, it's great that you're doing this, on top of sending you pen and pencil sets in-game, i'm willing to make a real donation to your cause, please send me a PM :)

I'll see if anyone else within my supergroup will help with the in-game stuff as well as out of game stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is so cool. It's too bad I sold about 30 as vendor trash before I saw this.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mighty Pencil,
    I just wanted to tell you that what you are doing is very awesome and I salute you! Other than spending countless hours on my days off collecting pencils and pens for you let me know if there is anything you would need help with! Happy Holiday's :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love it! Where can the pens and pencils and stalkings be found? I will give all I find.:)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love it! Where can the pens and pencils and stalkings be found? I will give all I find.:)
    It's great to see more and more people wanting to help out.

The Matching Pen and Pencil sets can be randomly found in presents around the cities every single one but Lemuria. These presents sometimes contain Misfit Toys which will sometimes award you the items in question anyways upon defeat.

As for Festive Socks, I'm not doing an event with those ones. I think Melkathi wants those.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    ARE THERE ANY EPIC SETS IN THE GAME
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    OMG YOUR AWSOME!!! :eek:This is unheard of... Best (in-game) Christmas event ever!!! You will get my stuff for sure.:cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What's the last day you want the pen/pencil sets before you do your total up?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Calsetes wrote:

I believe that was the movie called SuperTed which you might find upon YouTube searching. About a teddy bear that was brought to life by a polka dotted alien and goes about the galaxy saving kids in need. I could be wrong though.

As for this idea by Mighty_Pencil I was going to send you my batches of pen and pencils here that I got, I already have 5 since the event began and I also have some socks as well I could send to Melkathi. I only wish they still had those horses, though am aware they sell moose for the holidays, that you could make the last time I was actually in a Build a Bear store but then that was maybe 5 years ago.

Cetas
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LadyCalus wrote:
    What's the last day you want the pen/pencil sets before you do your total up?
    Your question sent me on quite the little chase.

I don't remember where I saw the actual ending date for the Winter Event, but I will take Pen and Pencil Sets for every day during the event, as well as one day afterwards. I want to allow a bit of grace time to get the remainders in, and I think 24 hours will do it. The first post has been updated at the bottom with this information.

Remember to keep your Pen and Pencil sets in case you miss me! Who's to say I won't do this again next year?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Incredible idea. We're planning on advertising this onair at Storm Radio to hopefully get those kids as many bears as possible, as well as pushing it through the Guardians, a SG I belong to. Faboo idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're gonna have yer hands full this weekend, and for that I salute you good people, and coming from a guy with the RL nickname Pure Malice thats some pure good right there that you guys are doing.

So get to it folks.

And to the Guys n Gals at Cryptic keep those emergency updates short and sweet, any downtime is less time another kid gets a teddy bear.

LOL sorry couldn't resist being a total jerk somewhere here, I got standards to uphold and besides a guilt trip now and then can help things lol.

Good job and good luck, you have my support.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This season, it's important we think of those less fortunate than ourselves. We have PCs and whatnot, and they don't get anything as nice as what we do. There are children all over the world that aren't as happy as most of us are. I can't do much for these holidays, because I myself am pretty close to that point. But here's what I can do;

For every 1,000 Matching Pen and Pencil Sets I get from people in game, I will donate a bear curtousy of Build A Bear Workshop USA To needy children this christmas. In these hard and economically unstable times, children sometimes need small furry friends to help them.

A bear goes a long way for children, I know that very well. How about helping out a child instead of tossing those seemingly useless items? Remember; 1,000 may seem like a lot, but if everyone is on board with it, we can all easily amass multiples of the Matching Pen and Pencil Sets. ;)

Melkathi also seems to be starting an event for Festive Sock drops, it seems he's collaborating with another to donate to his charity of choice in this Thread here.

Feel free to contact me through game email or Tells while i'm in-game if you would like more information. If I'm not on just email me, and I'll get back to any questions/concerns when I get back.

I will be collecting the Matching Pen and Pencil Sets from good-hearted heroes until the day after the event is over. This will allow those who missed the opportunity the chance to do so. Keep your Matching Pen and Pencil Sets for next year as well, who's to say I won't do this again?

once i get back in game from my break, im gonna make sure you get 1000 from me alone.....
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Grats on front page, Pencil. :) Hope you get tons of them bears out!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You can send your Pen and Pencil Sets to me via the UNTIL mailing system. Please hold off on sending small amounts at one time, I have a lot to sift through when that happens. :p

You can friend me or whatever by using @Mighty_Pencil. Now go on and git' searching!

I will be collecting the Matching Pen and Pencil Sets from good-hearted heroes until the day after the event is over. This will allow those who missed the opportunity the chance to do so. Keep your Matching Pen and Pencil Sets for next year as well, who's to say I won't do this again?

You have the true spirit of Christmas in your heart.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DJComet wrote:
    Incredible idea. We're planning on advertising this onair at Storm Radio to hopefully get those kids as many bears as possible, as well as pushing it through the Guardians, a SG I belong to. Faboo idea!

I've just recorded a commercial for my station as well about it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Count me in.

Stupid question, can someone post instructions for how we send you the items? I've been very selfish up til now. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Info is on the first post in this thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm so in on this.
    In an attempt to improve VIPER's public Image. VIPER girl will be on the prowl on the streets of MC in search
    oh pencils AND pens!.
    And don't worry, we'll let Pencil make the teddy, so no snake venom filled bears ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is truly a nice thing you're doing.

I don't have pencils myself of any sort... and I actually heard about this thanks to @mookiebean on Twitter.

What I /can/ do is make a mention of what you're doing during my 'net radio show tomorrow. This is something I'd back, honestly, and the least I can do is let listeners who may not be aware of it know.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    hi there i think this is awesome thing you are doing when i get a bunch saved i will send them to you
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    other than grabbin pens and pencils i wish there was more i (or anyone else) could do. i like doing charity stuff
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Posted the link on my SG Forums... I'll help for sure!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great initiative. I'll be sending you all the pencils i find.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great concept. Except you're asking people to give you items in a video game in return. As worthless as they may be.. if you really wanted to help, that wouldn't have even crossed your mind. Seems like a cry for attention, honestly. On the other hand maybe you'll receive a ridiculous amount of them and then do exactly as you've said.

Or maybe we could be real champions this holiday and volunteer to spend time with these children, or the homeless, or the needy.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great idea. I'm in.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great concept. Except you're asking people to give you items in a video game in return. As worthless as they may be.. if you really wanted to help, that wouldn't have even crossed your mind. Seems like a cry for attention, honestly. On the other hand maybe you'll receive a ridiculous amount of them and then do exactly as you've said.

Or maybe we could be real champions this holiday and volunteer to spend time with these children, or the homeless, or the needy.
    Wether you wish to participate or not, that's fine with me.

Everyone else is free to donate as well, we don't have to do this, but we are. An enormous Thank You to everyone who is participating. I'm not the only one thanking you either, it's all those kids as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Of COURSE it's a cry for attention. That's what all charity events are. If anyone actually just wanted to help, they'd just help and be done with it.

But the reason they happen is not just because the founder(s) want attention on themselves, but because attention on charity has other effects. Like bringing communities together, or making others think about perhaps being charitable themselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Great concept. Except you're asking people to give you items in a video game in return. As worthless as they may be.. if you really wanted to help, that wouldn't have even crossed your mind. Seems like a cry for attention, honestly. .

Getting people in a community to participate in something like this gives everyone involved a sense of being part of something larger than themselves. It allows others to feel that they have helped when they might not otherwise have had the opportunity or the inclination. By asking that the community donate time spent farming these items in return for his donations the OP has given us a chance to do something that will help others. That can provide a real feeling of accomplishment and comraderie.

Please dont be a grinch. Someone is trying to do something nice and you chose to step in and cast a shadow over the effort.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and that no one does unto you as you have done here.