test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character misconception

Comments

• bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ...I think Star Warden would be confused as a demon if not for the fact I clearly state all the time he is a alien whose race is made to look like devils because of a rather trollish genetic altering race years ago. I make sure I to keep the misconceptions down... Now on the other hand if one day I am playing on Bombardier and someone thinks it's because he named after a plane well I'll have to throw a animal encyclopedia at them and turn them to page B starting with the Bombardier Beetle... Haven't hit that yet but I'm preparing myself. I am sure I'm bound to make a toon that will have a misconception... On a off note the day me and Straxus had both of our toons (me on Warden) in overall casual appearances... could of mistaken them for family.
    "Chernobyl". It's not that hard to spell, and it's FLOATING RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. And yet, still, almost everyone misspells it.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "Chernobyl". It's not that hard to spell, and it's FLOATING RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. And yet, still, almost everyone misspells it.

Im typing this without looking at what you wrote.

Chernobyl.

Hey you're right. o3o that's unexpected.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When I chat in zone with the re-creation of my CoH toon Dr Deflecto people automaticly think its a guy .
    Its not a guy its a Badger U__U
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited August 2014

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=281621&page=5

:biggrin: Sorry man, I couldn't resist.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd just call you Cherry, myself. :smile:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »

3778956-wait+a+second.jpg

Hey look, I found another lampshade. I'm just gonna hang that everywhere, yeah?
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That is the best thing that ever happened. Ever.
    biffsig.jpg
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here's another one;

Turando's main source of healing others is a Medigun-like gadget, not magic like he is FORCED to use to achieve a similar effect because of what's missing. He is also supposed to play more supportively than I show. *Sudden Valerian Scarlet Voice* But NOOOOO, I've gotta use the powers secondary to his theme (Dual Pistols) to even keep pace here... well now you see how well that's worked out for me.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I recently renamed one of my imps into "PvP Kicking Bug" in reference to the PvP kicking bug of course. I'm using the debugger costume and a build only using mighty kick and Crashing Wave Kick as my attacks.

Whenever I am on him people suddenly ask about PvP stuff just because I have PvP in my name totally overlooking what it is in reference to. Also over half the people don't seem to know of the debugger and about 40% of the other half are just like "you look familiar but I don't really know what it is about you."

And people seem to take me seriously as a PvP built character because the name / costume and stuff isn't a clear enough indicator of it being a joke build.
  • fookilafookila Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only reason is, sometime anybody called my blade AT "Sextural" instead of "Seztural" that I playing.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I recently renamed one of my imps into "PvP Kicking Bug" in reference to the PvP kicking bug of course. I'm using the debugger costume and a build only using mighty kick and Crashing Wave Kick as my attacks.

Whenever I am on him people suddenly ask about PvP stuff just because I have PvP in my name totally overlooking what it is in reference to. Also over half the people don't seem to know of the debugger and about 40% of the other half are just like "you look familiar but I don't really know what it is about you."

And people seem to take me seriously as a PvP built character because the name / costume and stuff isn't a clear enough indicator of it being a joke build.

if they don't do those particular PvP areas, they wouldn't know about tyhe bug.
    if they are silver, they won't know about the debugger, due to no PTS access.

as for taking it seriously as a build. could be worse, I've been in alerts with a L35 using theirEB and basic blast and standing around a lot
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    if they don't do those particular PvP areas, they wouldn't know about tyhe bug.
    if they are silver, they won't know about the debugger, due to no PTS access.

as for taking it seriously as a build. could be worse, I've been in alerts with a L35 using theirEB and basic blast and standing around a lot

And then they wonder why nobody wants to run with them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I could list a lot about my characters names but here is a few.

Erogar: People call him Ero for short, but that also leads to "HAHA you're called Ero, that is japanese for pervert" *facepalms*

Zahra: Just call her Sarah, its the same thing just Zahra is the egyptian pronunciation to it.

Kuruk: I hear people say Karuk. The heck does the A come from?

Ageton: People say Age Ton. If only can add accent marks. It's pronounced Ag-eh-ton

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited August 2014
    Got a general one here, because I know a few people it applies to, and I've retconned out of doing so because of this. Just because there's a cross over my head, does not mean I'm a healer. I could be in support for the energy because I'm very energy hungry. I could be using it for the control buff, but I'm probably not because screw cc in this game. I could be a petmaster and buffing my pets with an aura. Either way, don't whine at me if you're dying and I'm not healing you. It used to be called "sentinel", which fits a lot better because not everyone in that role is running support.

A small offshoot of this is: Just because you're in tank role, doesn't make you a tank. Or *the* tank, for that matter. If I'm on a freeform hybrid (most of mine are) odds are I'm a better tank than you if you're an archetype. Odds are you won't keep threat from me. These are both true of most of the freeform players I know that run dps. Healer ATs? If I'm surviving, and keeping all the threat? don't tell me to "follow my tank". He's not my tank, I'm his. Tank ATs or some tank freeforms? Don't complain if I'm tanking in dps role. If you were good at what you do, I couldn't be. Just take the hit to your ego and be happy we're winning.

tl;dr roles mean precisely nothing. The icons lie.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    oh yes.I know that one

from an alert
    character in support(energy problems)
    concentration.
    aura of ebon darkness(with aura)
    circle of ebon darkness

"why aren't you healing?"
    " see that little orange bullet symbol, it means damage. little green cross symbol means possibly healer."
    having said that, I have an electric character who can heal at the same time. so they are in ranged role.

• maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got a character named Grinder, and I was asked a lot of times what do I grind with it... Q, costumes or G...

I named him Grinder cuz he "grinds" everything with a gatling gun. :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    maleb666 wrote: »
    I got a character named Grinder, and I was asked a lot of times what do I grind with it... Q, costumes or G...

I named him Grinder cuz he "grinds" everything with a gatling gun. :biggrin:

Mhm... I bet if you went into club caprice with that name you'd get other questions asked too.
    chaelk wrote: »

The build itself isn't bad as in I will never die on it but I wont kill anyone, I just kick them about which is what I meant. I don't mean a joke build as in the build is bad or even just badly played, the build works and I'd like to think I play it in a funny way to keep with the joke of CC locking people with kicks. :D
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When people use part of my acct name to address me, Esal. Sounds like I'm a dang art accessory. I would think most know me as Ratty by this point. Sometimes it's people I've even spoken to before.
    edited August 2014
    Mhm... I bet if you went into club caprice with that name you'd get other questions asked too.

875e7d275e4c2de0d96c8db00f608684.jpg :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Welp, after reading all of those posts, I actually don't have any character misconceptions.

Oh, and special snowflake is special. :tongue:
  • ygrezygrez Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People rarely realize that Ygrez is Zergy spelled backwards.

Zergy is pronounced Zerg-e (like how lily is lil-e) so that in reverse would be e-grez but they pronounce it as Why-grez. (special note for the one person that actually pronounced zergy as zer-ji)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People think my character is underage. u3u

Oh, not Kagami, she actually is 8. I mean my new character, Mikuru, she is 18 she is just really really short o3o
    edited August 2014
    new character :Summoner<female canine>
    AOPM, compassion- for when I get the heal summon.
    2 summons.
    in alert- just heal me, just heal.
    my response: what would you suggest I use- lightning arc or my 2 summons(imp/golem)

• alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Most of my characters are themed, and although I am vvay too lazy to vvrite bios for them, I have a good idea hovv they are in my head, and Seraphim Is not an angel :P

Not anyone has claimed she is mind you...but..There isn't much else that bugs me and I vvanted to say something :p

Alexandra

Edit: spelling mistakes :p
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Fun fact.

Albeit a gross one:

Apparently, in a certain in-game night club, any female tall and muscular character is expected to be "a girl with extras".
    Which makes both for a lot of weird questions asked on /tell and a lot of disappointments for some people.

LogicalFacepalm.jpg
    edited August 2014
    I've mentioned it before, but the "You're in support, heal me" people suck.

The people who can't see my obviously heavily tweaked out freeform, that's flying around with a health bar that literally doesn't move, is in ranged dps for giggles? "Don't pull, let the tank do it". The tank can't take a hundredth of the damage I can. He's got a shield over his head, that's cool. Does he have a self heal? I see no healers here, so... I'm supposed to watch him slowly die as all of the mobs focus on me anyway, because why?

Hell, if you see a freeform dive face first into a big pack of mobs, and they all start dying rather quickly? You just found yourself a free win, run with it and don't ask questions. This complaint happens to me often enough that I don't even like running Chern in alerts anymore. The fact that I'm mowing everything down, and then face tanking Jack Fool and Ao', doesn't matter. The bullet over my head? THAT is what's important.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like it when people complain that two minute drills are over too fast.
    edited August 2014
    That's not people's fault especially if they migrated from trinity-based mmos.
    Which basically means - every mmo aside of maybe TSW.

It's all beacuse of role names and icons. They're misleading, play badly with people's expectations and, honestly, should go away.

You can't blame people because of bad UI. It's entirely Cryptic's fault.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Heh. I made my support character specifically to play with those assumptions. Heals? Well, okay, I've got sentinel aura... but other than that you're on your own. Of course, you won't need heals, because I'm also running AoRP and IDF. Kinda funny how long it takes people to realize that, sometimes...

Never had anyone complain about me tanking in ranged or melee roles, though, that's a new one.
    edited August 2014
    That's not people's fault especially if they migrated from trinity-based mmos.
    Which basically means - every mmo aside of maybe TSW.

It's all beacuse of role names and icons. They're misleading, play badly with people's expectations and, honestly, should go away.

You can't blame people because of bad UI. It's entirely Cryptic's fault.

Haha the irony is we used to have a system that didn't do this, and they felt it was inferior or confusing. I'd just figure that familiar with it or not, if you see someone tanking they can obviously tank. It's one of those "put down your expectations and just look at the proof in front of you" kind of deals, but I've been told I give people too much credit.

I can kinda blame em for giving me an attitude about it. If you're not familiar with the game, you should not be barking orders or talking down to people who are blatantly stronger than you are. It's a good bet that they're probably a vet and know what they're doing. I'd think that kinda etiquette would be universal?
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    It's one of those "put down your expectations and just look at the proof in front of you" kind of deals, but I've been told I give people too much credit.
    At the risk of coming as grumpy - yes, you are giving people too much credit.

They are coming to CO, they see seemingly idiotproof role names and icons, they expect it working exacly like in a typical MMO because this is what they were taught.

I kinda can understand them having expectations.

It fails to CO makers to give them another expectations (or like it was before On Alert - don't give them any) instead of disorienting them until they learn, but CO is these times utterly terrible at teaching players anything - from tutorial to UI.
    edited August 2014
    *COUGH*

The fact that someone felt the need to put together an out of game tutorial on how to PRESS THE BLOCK BUTTON makes your logic hard to disagree with.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    If you're going to link to a block guide, you should at least link to the good block guide.
    edited August 2014
    Huh, didn't know bluh did one. I just did a google and grabbed the first of like 7 on the first page. Which is pretty depressing too, really.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    Well, now you know. And I found it really helpful, because I had no idea about things like the delay on hold protection; being able to cancel out of block early and not get held really helps with trying to dodge Gravitar's yellow bubbles, for example. Tricky to get right, but invaluable when you do.

(It also used to have a section comparing block powers, which I also found helpful... but I guess that's rolled into his general powers guide now?)
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My favorite misconception is an RP one basically. Oh you're character is a werewolf? Well then I know all these weaknesses about your character, even though it's meta knowledge and OOC information that I technically couldn't know. Wait, your character doesn't follow Hollywood rules? Well then you aren't playing your character right. :confused:

And of course when I try to RP the fact that I have done everything in this game, every last mission and the badges to back it up, people accuse me of meta gaming or god moding quite regularly. A lot of them I call wannabe RPers because they don't take the simple fact that I do RP out and actually have such stories written down for my character the adventures I do. And they of course try to hand wave it and say that's just grinding, just like they claim levels don't matter. :rolleyes:

Sounds more like you're wrong. You assume people knowing you're a werewolf IC means they're metagaming if they say they know all these ways to kill werewolves. :p Now if they don't know you're a werewolf to begin with, different story, but then I find lots of demons seem to have some power to know other demons/monsters/supernatural on sight.

But it is the not following of one rule of vampires/werewolves that I tend to avoid playing them. Everyone seem to have "the most powerful vampire/werewolf" and they all seem to follow a different set of rules.

Now different interpretations of said beings is all well and good, but generally, in any decent setting they all share the same basic rules. CO isn't a decent due to players not adhereing to a general consensus on the basics.

Though agree with you on the last part. Go to all the effort to take on big enemies by yourself, say you did it IC and for some reason it doesn't count. :p
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Simple fix. If you don't follow the Hollywood/mythological rules... don't call yourself a werewolf!

Try...wolf demon or person of wolfish persuasion...something like that.
    edited August 2014
    I'm actually gonna put this out there: Spar should canonically be the strongest were in game.

She's earned it.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    And of course when I try to RP the fact that I have done everything in this game, every last mission and the badges to back it up, people accuse me of meta gaming or god moding quite regularly. A lot of them I call wannabe RPers because they don't take the simple fact that I do RP out and actually have such stories written down for my character the adventures I do. And they of course try to hand wave it and say that's just grinding, just like they claim levels don't matter. :rolleyes:

An their stance may not be wrong, no matter how much you don't like it.

Accepting everythig what happened mechanically in the game as something that happened in character leads to nonsense situation when you have 24628736592 characters who did save the world from apocalypse, 127401384760328 heroes who did defeat (solo!) Shadow Destroyer or "insert-any-absurd-number-here" heroes who stopped Kings of Edom last week.

Which will never work outside of playing with personal RP circle of friends who are essentially RPing in the same "setting".

If it isn't a kind of event that is possible as a recurring one, as Forum Malvanum is, handwaving it in open RP with random people actually makes sense.

Sorry, but nobody is really required to take any character as more entitled to these past events than any other player who could play past them.
    edited August 2014
    That's a pretty ironic post, all things considered. My feelings on how her character should be regarded should mean nothing at all to you, since there's about a 0% chance we'll ever RP together. I find it strange, however, that you of all people take issue with me pointing out that someone should be respected for having a pretty high level of power.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and there are quite a few of us who do interact with her on the level that she's the strongest of her kind. It's not that unusual in a wolf-based species for there to be an Alpha, and I'm actually positive that OOC she actually *is* the strongest werewolf in the game.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    Annoyed is a pretty strong word, actually I pretty flat out said it was just my opinion and it doesn't interact with yours in the slightest. Just that I find it odd that you're the one telling me not to accept people's assumed power levels, given your outspoken opinions on that matter in the past.

Any malice you read into that isn't on my end. Don't put words in my mouth. The only thing nearly a bit harsh is the fact that I won't RP with you. That's a given, and a known thing. We don't mesh like that, never will. Such is life.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »

I'm basically agreeing with your premise: Don't wanna accept something RPwise? Don't RP with said player.

And your beef with her is well known, as our issues have been. I'd be saying the same thing right now if someone called your character into question. Hell, I *helped* get your cascades devastating. I'd actually argue (and I know this might get me in some **** but I don't care) that you're one of the heaviest force throwers in the game. Again, canonically, because I watched it happen.

Just like I watched her tank a ton of things with no issue.

If we ever rp, I'd hold you in the same respect. Because I know your character is capable of what you claim. Hell, I helped theorycraft it, that'd be calling BS on myself.

I guess it makes me a metagamer, but I can't see a level 6 as a demonwingwolfvampireangel. There are stripes to be earned as a character, and it has nothing to do with being 40. It has *everything* to do with the legacy and age of your toon. That's what she was saying, and that's what I'm saying. And that's why I'm saying my point was not aggressive to you. Chernobyl isn't my strongest character, but it's my biggest threat. Because it's well known. It has the history to back up my claims.

's all I was trying to say. Don't assume I'm trying to fight with you, because I wasn't.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My account name is also the name of one of my heroes and what I primarily use for most accounts, Dialam.

There's a long, boring story behind it, it was just something that kind of stuck, and I just could never think of anything better. Everyone pronounces it as "Dial-am" but it's actually supposed to be pronounce "Dee-a-lom". The "Dia" part actually stems from "Diablo"

So my main toon is Ratasassin not Ratassassin or Rat who is an assassin, simply Rat-a-sass-in. But at least three times a week someone will inform me, "oh you spelled assassin wrong"

I have to say, I never look at your name as a misspelling of "Assassin". I always used to think it was a play on words. Given that you're a gun toting rat, I always thought the "Rata" part was a combined word play on "Rat" and the comic sound effect for machine guns "Rata tat tat". The "sassin" part being added to point out you're an assassin, with the first "S" purposefully left off to show the "Rata" word play.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My clumsy psionic is actually a world class athlete at 200+ Dex and one of the most powerful mentalists in the world at level 40 since she earned it. My super strength characters are obviously all inferior to those that mechanically have over 300 Str in game and can't hit those sweet 500k haymakers! Still, all my characters have defeated the most powerful enemies in the world numerous times! Haven't yours as well? Why, I bet you've never even solod Grond like the thousands of others that have done it! Hoho, how pathetic! It truly is an elite club where we've all beaten Poe, Gravitar, Ripper, the Supreme Serpent and the Kings of Edom.

An exclusive club called Everyone That's Played Through the Content. It sure makes for some fun and unique characters, yup.

That's just good RP.

Most of my NPCs and villains I use for running scenarios are usually only level 6 as well. I'm stunned when other players even take them as a threat! They definitely haven't earned it.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    ...(unbeknownst to her so far) cannot be permanently killed, she'll come back kind of like the Doctor regenerates. (although she'll likely suffer setbacks such as memory loss, ect).
    Puts me in mind of a line from the four-issue Villains & Vigiliantes limited series, back in the '80s. One of the villains proposes killing a hero (Manta-Man, I think); another, more experienced villain blows up at this. "Why are you even going to try? You know it won't work! Or, worse, it will work, and then he'll come back with a different name, a different costume, new powers!! At least now we know who we're fighting!"
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited August 2014
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Now if they don't know you're a werewolf to begin with, different story, but then I find lots of demons seem to have some power to know other demons/monsters/supernatural on sight.
    I borrowed this ability for my Infernal-American from Blizzard demons. Their take on demons (especially in WoW PnP) was to made them into kind of magic predators, hence they could smell traces of magic.
    She's not capable to tell if someone is a werebeast or a mage, or just have a magic trinkets, but she can tell when someone smells supernatural. She can also tell if stench is demonic, celestial, or Qliphoth.
    edited August 2014
    3898460-8864152835-
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    maleb666 wrote: »
    3898460-8864152835-

tumblr_lqepvga6zs1qafrh6.gif