test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is this going to be Fair?

Comments

• purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    laughinxan wrote: »
    One thing being overpowered because of a bunch of other things doesn't make sense. It's like you want all of those things nerfed to account for AoPM, it's a flat arguement that doesn't have anything to back it up. All those abilities having to be nerfed because of ONE ability doesn't make sense when that ONE ability either is overpowered with them OR makes them overpowered. Fact of the matter is, AoPM combined with a bunch of other powers is overpowered when most if not all of those abilities it's overpowered with are balanced with other passives.

If they were overpowered with other passives, that'd be a different matter the yeah they would be, but with so many things being overpowered with AoPM and not so much without, it's pretty darn clear at this point. Yeah I agree it's weak without em but they aren't as powerful without AoPM either :/. Which abilities again? Ego surge? Sorry but thats actually what I think an active offense SHOULD do, not those weak non-effective active offenses like say, immolate, which only gives a cost discount and the damage difference for most if not everyone is countable on a persons hands.

Thing is i'm getting this ugly feeling you guys are getting beaten by said effects in pvp, and wanting them nerfed so you can't die to them. Sorry but if neither side can kill one another in pvp, thats a very boring game.

Simply put, I don't believe alot of the things you guys are saying is overpowered are really overpowered, buuut I can tell you guys are still wanting nerfs to so many things, it's also begging the question why your asking for so many when it's not broken for pve and actually useful in pve :/.

Most of these powers are overused with other passives as well. Conviction, Masterful Dodge, Unbreakable, Ascension, Ego Surge, etc., you know what I'm talking about. These powers aren't only very effective when used with AoPM, people slap them on every single build. It just so happens that AoPM gets more mileage out of these things when built certain ways.

People only make tanks in PvP right now anyway. Most of the things we'd like balanced would make it so duels would actually end.

What are you even talking about? Nearly every power in this game is useful in PvE.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
    edited February 2014
    I won't reply to every point you made in that last post because at this point you are just inserting words into my mouth and I don't think a lot of it is worth arguing against.

I want nerfs for balance. I don't want nerfs just for the sake of powers not to be as effective as they currently are. I come from a PvP perspective, but as it is right now, we're currently pigeon-holed into a system where "you pick this or you get steamrolled" in most cases. There is little to no gray area because a lot of the powers are so superior in so many ways.

I want Ego Surge to be brought in line with other Active Offenses, though I do agree that most other AO's do not do what they should. However, an AO shouldn't just give crit chance to be viable. We used to have a system of raw damage versus critical damage, now it's crits or get out.

I want Active Defense cycling to be done away with. They should be temporary means of increasing one's defenses, a panic button, etc. Not what we currently have, which is having them up more than 75% of the time. If this meta was gone, Ego Surge would not be needed to make duels end.

Ascension only lengthens duels and encourages people to run. This not only affects squishy builds if they happened to do something to it, but also all of the defensive builds that cherry pick it. I don't want it to be made useless, just less desirable so not every single person who PvP's uses it.

There are many great heals and other ways of making yourself defensive in PvE to survive without using Conviction and the other "normal" powers. I don't know why people are so defensive over keeping that power in specific so common.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well the problem cryptic did recently which has caused PvP to be almost unplayable currently is fixing unbreakable. Why they would fix the dodge mechanic so it was fairly "balanced" with the rest and at the exact same time in an attempt to fix unbreakable blindly destroy the entire mechanics it uses making it totally buggy if used with invulnerability for example.

I really don't understand how you cannot see the same things being a massive problem in PvE as well. The problem with ego surge is that it makes stacking CON even better as if it didn't already make you the most defensive of any other stat it now can take you up to 100% crit chance for 15 seconds or so which is CRAZY. Especially seeing as the two specs that will give you the most crit vindicator and any of the 10% ones (warden and guardian used here) will also give you the highest defense of any other specs. There is no sacrifice in using ANY of this. If they just made ego surge be based on a stat such as PRE it'd oddly fix the problem as well as make PRE a slightly more viable stat.

If I go into PvE on my build with 5k health rising knee, demolish and stuff with intensity and only masterful dodge as well as no heals I'll probably die to level 30's. I use it mainly in PvP with my teddy tag teaming people with me and I can kind of "stun lock" people so they can't kill me in one hit and use LOS. However when someone with invuln uses MD I'll hit about 200 damage on them using what would normally be like 5k. Then they use unbreakable with no gap at all and I now will hit 0 damage with my 5k hit. That's in terms of PvP, in PvE I could maybe hit a bit of damage but seeing as I am a melee controller that mainly just removes resistances the damage wouldn't be great.

Generally I don't really like it when I make a build that I want to make "viable" all I need to do is select these same 6 powers. Conviction / MD / ego surge / ascension / unbreakable / MSA - Then just get int and con as two of your super stats other than that ego secondary to int as a squishy or strength primary if you want to be tanky. Too bad that this now takes up 6 powers, I feel like the variation in the builds I can make has taken a massive hit as not taking these will be like shooting yourself in the foot.

I think a lot of it is a need for certain mechanics to be re worked slightly. Why the hell does going strength primary as a ranged toon give some of the best damage you can get with ranged attacks still... Who knows?

Your idea's are very similar to that of a few others here, very anti nerf very pro buff wanting to be unkillable hybrids very against the "trinity" system even know CO was clearly designed to use it. I can see where you are coming from on some points but there is NO WAY you can say things like cooldown and the way MD/unbreak currently stack isn't broken currently. It isn't a case of nerfing, it's a case of fixing.
    edited February 2014
    I don't see balancing the game by nerfing a huge amount of abilities at the same time. Not putting words in your mouth, just trying to figure out why you really want "balance", what is balance to you hmm? Winning reliably in pvp? Really think deep down and look at yourself when you answer that question.

I agree with the "pick this or get steam rolled"statement, thing is you won't likely remove that overnight, if ever, and thing is if you want competitive pvp champions online is not your game for that anyways, even modern military shooters would make you happier. Or a fighting game like MK 9. Those games are far better for pvp, you don't spend so much time building a character to win, instead its your ability to play well. Classic fps's(not mms's, those have no strategy at all), are more then just reflex fests, resource management and map control in the classic fps's was as intense for them as a real time strategy game.

Do I agree duels lasting forever is boring? YEah, but thing is you really gotta think of a scope here if your going to ask for a nerf to any of the active offenses/defenses. Heck I am among those who says both need to be overhauled, not nerfed, but changed entirely. They should be panic buttons or "I'm gonna really tear this guy/group a new one".

Personal thoughts, active offenses should give a different damage boost, and all share the same cooldown, when you fire one off, the others go into cooldown, but the damage gained should be huge. Active defenses could be the opposite, atm, in truth, they are actually not as powerful as you'd think, unbreakable can be broken by some enemies in pve, and is very poor for gravitars gold spheres :). Masterful dodge, is far weaker without LR or anything boosting avoidance, for many it's more like "take only 40% damage guaranteed).

By balance in PvP, I want duels to end. That's about it. With the current meta, people cycle Active Defenses and take next to no damage while easily healing the damage that they did take in the process.

I don't build in this game to win in PvP. People who know me in-game would know that considering I have a rez on my current build and my only heal is BCR. Funny thing is, I still win lots of duels against people with both MD/Unbreakable and the rest of the powers I'm asking for nerfs. I just don't like that people decide to take those powers to win or for ease instead of concept, but that's another conversation. The reason I brought it up is because I enjoy PvP in this game. I do not enjoy most shooters or fighting games like you're listing.

All you need is a single Avoiddance Core in a defense slot or a Breastplate of Agility to push your avoidance to a generous number while is MD up.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you pick critical chance, Conviction work good.

If you don't pick critical chance, BCR works well as Conviction with less energy. You can also take Adv. if you have enough dodge chance. Simple reason ppl doesn't take BCR as much as before is probably because of Ebon Ruin heal stop.

Bionic Shielding is also good choice. Only reason I don't use Bionic Shielding is because I don't like that metallic visual effect and motion.

Resurgence, it scales your own HP.

I don't think Conviction is so special.
    edited February 2014
    Your putting words in my mouth regarding that last statement, i'm not asking for people to be invincible but the trinity seeping in would KILL this game. When only ONE team tactic works, you have a predictable game, predictable games don't count as games to any seasoned or casual gamer. A casual gamer would get bored, move on, not spend anything, seasoned vets would stop paying money, ect.

Notice how I use "" on the word trinity. I meant that as in it is what you guys seem to think it means a flat WoW styled gameplay without really thinking of the deeper meaning that could be behind it. Trinity basically just means to me one supporting to keep people alive, one taking the damage and one dealing the damage. The "tank" could tank by using only CC so no one is hit. The healer could only use shields that cannot be broken. The dps could simply be a debuffer so overall his team will end up hitting more damage. There are many options here but no matter how you see it the trinity system is preset in every way currently in CO. The game was designed around the entire mechanic. Saying that makes it a WoW clone is like saying PWE is a Microsoft clone because their systems in the background are probably so similar. Unless you have no heals in a game other than from the environment then the trinity will almost always be present in MMO's.
    I don't actually like that it's to easy to become indestructable but there are alot of other ways to become tough as heck in this game, thing is that works for this game because you still have to find em, just that there should be a bit more depth about it. You don't even need masterful dodge or unbreakable to do it, because the mobs are very low in damage. Try not taking them, and still focus on layering in other ways. Try not taking conviction, try a different self heal with say, invuln or defiance. You'll be surprised at how easy the game is, even on elite.

Which is why we usually end up comparing things in PvP, purely because PvE is so easy you could have 5k health empathic healing and no AD's and probably still count as a tank somehow unless you are doing gravi in which case you may want atleast 10k health.
    Bottom line, if your asking for nerfs to make this game a trinity your only going to kill it. Everyone will see it's a WoW clone, and rate it as such(a resounding zero). There are other ways of encouraging team play without forcing everyone to have a healer or a tank in every encounter, like including real buffs that help mitigate damage of squishier toons, or debuffs to stop the mobs from launching a really devastating blow on someone, or even crowd control to stop em all together. All of those are TEAM BASED CONCEPTS, TACTICS, AND EFFECTS THAT ARE MADE FOR TEAMS AND MADE TO REDUCE THE NEED FOR THE TRINITY AND EXPAND ON VARIETY WITHOUT DISCOURAGING TEAM PLAY.

As I said above.

Basically I would like to think everyone could have some sort of presence around each other that may make everyone stronger in some way. Like some kind of "aura power" like they have in warframe for example may work to encourage team play in CO. Still though, there is currently no need for teaming other than for this new rampage which I bet you guys complain about because a tank makes peoples life so much easier in it.
    I am appalled at how little people know about real support in an rpg, outright appalled, in mmorpgs.

I've played almost all MMO's, I've played many different classes in each of those MMO's. Generally one player should not be as powerful as 4 just by having a "win" settup copied from someone else, that is what I am saying. There needs to be benefits to teaming and as I said earlier when you start doing this the trinity is always present in some way, shape or form.
    monaahiru wrote: »
    If you pick critical chance, Conviction work good.

If you don't pick critical chance, BCR works well as Conviction with less energy. You can also take Adv. if you have enough dodge chance. Simple reason ppl doesn't take BCR as much as before is probably because of Ebon Ruin heal stop.

Bionic Shielding is also good choice. Only reason I don't use Bionic Shielding is because I don't like that metallic visual effect and motion.

Resurgence, it scales your own HP.

I don't think Conviction is so special.

It's a lot to do with the fact it procs MSA so you technically get energy as well as healing from using it, ofcourse if you have another short cooldown power that could work too. I never use BCR for one reason, the damage debuff it has. The fact it is removed on trauma for no reason at all is also fairly off putting. Bionic is a good heal but not truly comparable with conviction in my opinion as you can only use it every 20 seconds as well as not using any cooldown. When cooldown is fixed it may be one of the best heals to be using however. No one really uses resurgence at the moment purely because of unbreakable and masterful dodge.
  • guardianettieguardianettie Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm looking forward to new gear. New gear is cool because it gives you a choice of what to use. I personally don't think this game has enough gear or end game "Raid" content. So I'm happy to see that the developers are working towards all of this when creating Justice Gear and new costumes. I wish there were multiple different kinds of balanced sets though. I feel like Justice Gear is going to be top notch, and top tier, but we'll see.
    edited February 2014
    Problem is, unless the numbers in pvp were different then pve, I wouldn't mind the changes people asked for as long as they only applied to pvp. I don't build for pvp either, I hadn't built a single pvp char since I quit pvp in CO years ago. But why are you so concerned about balance then, if your not really competitive? I am assuming your not competitive because you don't enjoy either the games I mentioned when they have the very thing a competitive player tends to want, which is balance.

This game, in pvp, it's not a competitive game. It really isn't. A competitive game punishes far more for mistakes always and also rewards those who control the game and use their heads. This game isn't tailored towards that kind of player base.

Do you play pvp in this game competitively? You pretty much said you don't, I don't get why your even asking for a change in this case. Fact is, well, you said you don't play to win. So I cannot say your being competitive.

I am competitive. Just because I don't optimize my builds doesn't mean I can't play with winning on my mind. I want these changes for the sake of balance and variety.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    purin1 wrote: »
    I am competitive. Just because I don't optimize my builds doesn't mean I can't play with winning on my mind. I want these changes for the sake of balance and variety.

Part of optimizing your build is optimizing your gear. Sounds like you could keep losing to someone with the exact same build, but if they had rank 9 mods versus your rank 7 mods, you'd call that unbalanced.
    edited February 2014
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Part of optimizing your build is optimizing your gear. Sounds like you could keep losing to someone with the exact same build, but if they had rank 9 mods versus your rank 7 mods, you'd call that unbalanced.

I would do no such thing, because the bonus one would get from my current gear would be so small it'd hardly be worth mentioning. Once you reach a certain threshold in gear, builds/specs take over completely. The simple act of Unbreakable being fixed is what has me so frustrated with the current state in PvP since someone can cycle that and MD to take next to no damage during duels on what would normally be considered a squishy build. Is it possible to spike through it? Yes, though it takes some pretty cheesy builds to do that in most cases.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't get why PVEers would be so worried about powers getting nerfed for PVP anyway. It's not as if it's going to affect your ability to PVE successfully.... do you know how hard they would have to nerf every single stat and power in the game for PVE success to actually be noticeably threatened?
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I don't get why PVEers would be so worried about powers getting nerfed for PVP anyway. It's not as if it's going to affect your ability to PVE successfully.... do you know how hard they would have to nerf every single stat and power in the game for PVE success to actually be noticeably threatened?

Powers that are unbalanced for PvP are still unbalanced in PvE. It's just not as noticeable. As far as I'm concerned most of the things people want balanced would benefit everyone. Well, everyone that won't be crushed by not being able to steam roll the world.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

I get concerned when they balance for PvP and it makes things a lot harder in the PvE side that didn't have the PvP issues (or if they did, it was a much smaller issue).
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    You were asked what you were asked, because your slowly fitting into a group of gamers anyone who has even looked at competitive play before knows about. A group of gamers that try to play with honor, but lose, horribly, because they live way to much by notions of "cheap" but also don't adapt and then do nothing but complain at everyone's expense. Yes there are players who are like that.

Especially since you said you played competitive but then don't build for it, that hurts you even more, really it does, and hurts any point your going to make far, far more.

But you never mention what you'd do about those two powers, and at the same time earlier(yesterday) you even mentioned nerfing ego surge when ego surge is in fact a power used to kill other players, not defend against spikes or anything. It's kind of contradictory, you want fights to end but then ask to nerf offensive powers as well, it's counter-intuitive to your whole point.

I am of the belief that one can overcome those obstacles with personal skill. I believe this because it's what I do in every game I play with PvP. For example I use a heavily themed melee build on this game and still do okay while getting respect from most people. You don't need to agree with me. I'm just saying that people who otherwise would not be able to survive 15 seconds in a duelcan now last upwards of 10 minutes now that they know what to copy.

I've got my own ideas for what I'd like done to Active Defenses, but I know you wouldn't like them since you don't want them to have shared cooldowns. Of course I know that Ego Surge is one of the main powers that helps people die right now. I've even stated that I'd want them to nerf both Active Defenses and Ego Surge at the same time.

Active Offenses wouldn't even be needed to kill anyone if Active Defenses were put on shared cooldowns.
    edited February 2014
    This is exactly the problem here, alot of these pvpers are asking for nerfs with zero considering for pve whatsoever. They fail to realize that what they are asking for is not only for very, very self-centered reasons but it's also especially rude for those who actually weren't overpowered yet using the powers above. I could use the dodge nerf for example, alot of people used it to make otherwise underpowered builds par, that were built that way because it was the theme of their character, then found it completely unviable.

The consequences for those players is often especially dire, especially since their other, weaker powers were underperforming to begin with. Alot of powersets are actually missing a lot of hitting power, enough so the game gets very dull or boring when using them, cause the fights last unnecessarily long in a few cases(particularly against bigger bosses, making fights last longer, contrary to popular belief here, does not make those fights harder, only longer, and less interesting).

As a PvE player, I'm actually okay with the Dodge nerf. After On Alert went live, Dodge became a super god stat since it was so easy to rack up a high dodge score with gear/mods alone. It did need an adjustment.

The whole Incapacitate mechanic though... I'll never stop being bitter about that..

edited February 2014
    Did you guys just totally overlook the fact we just said PvE is so easy anyway that any nerfs they do in PvP will have little to no effect on how hard PvE is. It's like you think we only PvP, the fact we are "PvP'ers" means that we are the small amount of people in CO that do hero games now and again for fun instead of just doing things for rewards. We do PvE / standing around chatting just like everyone else too.

And yeah incapacitate was messed up everywhere in PvP too, it was pretty lazy design to just plonk resistances on everything but not think of individual powers.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Did you guys just totally overlook the fact we just said PvE is so easy anyway that any nerfs they do in PvP will have little to no effect on how hard PvE is.

Yes. ... That's totally not sarcasm. At all. In the slightest.

The best part is that people think that balance for PvP is somehow different than balancing for PvE. It's not like Grav or Vik are going to come to the forums and complain about you being able to solo them.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited February 2014
    And yeah incapacitate was messed up everywhere in PvP too, it was pretty lazy design to just plonk resistances on everything but not think of individual powers.

It's not the resistances that irk me. It's that the actual hold effect starts after the power has been maintained for a second. And then there's the "breaking hold interrupts power" kills the Ego Storm power since a foe dying counts as breaking free. So the dying Henchman interrupts the Ego Storm holding everybody. If they would have at least fixed it so that dying foes didn't count as breaking free... :mad:

Dammit, I didn't want to rant...

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And what of tanks who in teams enjoy that they can heal and defend themselves without some healer taking all the credit from them for everyones survival when they do their job hmmm? Or those situations where EVERYONE gets hit regardless of position(looking at you, therakiel)?

What about them? You're arguing against a strawman here, that strawman being you pretending I ever said anything about removing the ability of tanks to heal themselves. That being the case, I guess we'll just have to wait for the strawman to respond since he's the one you're talking to :3
  • thelostone0thelostone0 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bored now, can you take the PvP flamewar elsewhere? Yes, Justice gear will casually snap what little balance there was in PvP over its knees but that's irrelevant. How do the drop rates work now, and what are the rates? If they went with "do the most dps to get a token" I'm just screwed and may as well forget about ever getting the drops. If it's 3% per run, well, see previous comment because Sky Command is something like a half hour minimum on a success, so (assuming perfect success, far from a given) it's perfectly probable that you will never see even one token while that alert is up.

Let's say Sky Command takes a half hour start to finish, and that it lasts for 3 days, and that you have 16 hours each day in which time you never fail. That's 2 runs per hour times 16 hours times 3, or 96 attempts. It's entirely possible *given a more or less perfect setup* that you will not get even a single token in 3 days at that drop %. Now, let's say you've got 2 hours to play the game on each of the 3 days and you get a good team and manage to get 3 successes in those 2 hours each day. 9 successes, at a 3% drop rate, means it's likely to be months before you see your first token, let alone the two needed for a single piece, NEVERMIND the 6 needed for a full set. This is, frankly, unreasonable. Extremely so.

If they change the drops to 1 token per character per day on a success, you're still looking at two weeks of logging in every day to play until you win to kit out a single character, though most CO players have a pretty vast stable by now so it's unlikely to stop there. You're still getting a lot of people to do the rampages (and tag along on their justice-geared toons to help carry their less competent/geared brethren) in order to get their gear sets completed for alts.

Lastly, all these numbers are "white room" theoreticals that assume someone who has all the time in the world to devote to the game, while most real players are going to progress at some fraction of that pace.

TL;DR: drop rates need to be nearly guaranteed to keep the playing field remotely level.