Install Arc
Options

Dodge/Crit Preview Dev Blog

Comments

• Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    I've done it without the best gear. HOWEVER its only possible for extremely short periods of time without such gear, and wastes time you could spend attacking. so its actually worthless.

Oh what with Masterful Dodge?

Well duh but I thought we were talking like, all the time 100% dodge

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh what with Masterful Dodge?

Well duh but I thought we were talking like, all the time 100% dodge

Based only on powers, 75.7% is the 'highest' dodge chance one can get from stacking flat rate bonuses(once) on powers not including masterful dodge.

Factor in even the ****tiest gear and spec tree and one can easily get over 100%.

In-fact, adding in what one would get from having just 153 dodge chance(which is fully possible to obtain between low-end gear and spec tree on live) you would have over 100% dodge chance with an upkeep time based solely on if you can manage using the powers needed to maintain the flat rate bonuses.

Now if they added in fluidity and the current changes on pts for the dodge scaling(including power changes from dodge stat to flat rates) then you just need rank 3 fluidity and rank 3 LR to have 100% dodge chance 100% of the time. Fluidity is a block.

Edit: They changed LR today to give 25% 32.5% and 40% at ranks 1 2 and 3.
  • Options
    thelostone0thelostone0 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Making fluidity a de facto requirement to not die vs Gravitar actually reduces build diversity a lot as it makes every other dodge pointless. That said, if you don't have dodge he random cascades will kill you faster than you can say "heal please?" and God help you after a rez. God help the poor support types who relied on dodge to have a chance to rez you without dying themselves, given her propensity for singling out the healers raising people.
  • Options
    kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Way to make a majority of your players leave.

GG.
  • Options
    gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Love how everyone's ignoring the fact that offense and defense are getting a buff, making it even out. As the blog said, you choose between a FLAT reduction with defense or a chance to reduce it by more with dodging. Same with Crit. A CHANCE to do massive spike with crit, or do good consistent damage with offense. They're making it so you basically choose one or the other and will have to build for just that. Now you apparently can gear still for the other, but it won't be nearly as effective as if you geared for yours.

So I have a Glacier. I'd stat defense instead of dodge once the changes come (he only has 40 something dodge chance and 50 avoid anyway.. not that big a hit when you think about the fact it's INVULN). From what people have told me (Caliga mainly as well as a few others who've tested on PTS) that will be just as effective as now when it was just dodge and invuln. So in my favor.

Now AGAINST my favor comes the crit change. Since I have the spec that makes it so I heal upon crit (as well as healing when knocked), and my crit is only around 29 (statted a little dex to get a small boost too) and sev is just a little over base (60 sev.. can you tell I picked the chance gloves?) that means I won't be able to heal as often when the nerf comes. It does remove survivability a bit with that specific set up. HOWEVER, IIRC at max level and my current stats.. the Regen spec pretty much heals the same amount every 3 seconds as I would have gotten with a crit. So I can say it'll balance out.

Behemoths are really getting buffed from this though. Dear god.
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was in agreement on EM needing taken down a notch. I was in agreement on Quarry needing to be taken down a notch when compared to LR. But there's no need to go overboard on all this. :/

Not only that, why not add/improve powers? I know you've done it a bit, but come on, more improved/new powers would go so much farther. Like...make chains worth having and relying on!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Defense isn't being touched. I won't touch on it in this post much but I will say that it 'almost' doesn't have any diminishing returns but it is extremely hard to stack and for what you can stack it to you'd be better off with dodge&avoidance instead due to the fact of layering and that avoidance provides 'better' mitigation overall at the cost of it being directly related to RNG based upon dodge chance(so find the balance between stacking odds and stacking mitigation...but flat rates for dodge chance help ease the mental pain as well as pocket pain).

Offense(although changing from additive to multiplicative) is having worst scaling but because it is changing to multiplicative it provides more of a bonus for those pushing DR for damage bonus while just providing a 'meh' for those without much in their additive damage bonuses.

Currently on PTS:
    297.1 Offense grants 10%
    651.7 Offense grants 20%
    1185.7 Offense grants 30%

Question is, Do you know what it takes to get 1185.7 offense?

Crit-strike and Dexterity. These two 'share' the crit-strike bonus. Alright just gonna copy+paste the numbers because I'm too lazy to talk about it.

Critstrike Scaling
    Live% |Critstrike| PTS%
    0.13% "Base" 3.8%
    3.9% 47 13.4%
    11.2% 95 19%
    12.7% 103 19.9%
    27% 198 26.4%
    32.2% 245 28.7%
    36.8% 302 30.8%
    39.6% 349 32.3%
    Note: Base and all numbers have 10 Dexterity.

Live|Dexterity|PTS
    0.03% 5 2.2%
    4.6% 63 14.1%
    13.8% 120 20.5%
    24.8% 191 25.5%
    31.6% 249 28.4%
    38% 329 31.4%
    43.8% 461 34.9%

Dexterity+Critical Strike Scaling
    Live|Dexterity+CritStrike|PTS
    34% 72+204 29.5%
    38.5% 134+204 31.7%
    43.5% 249+204 34.7%
    46.2% 461+103 36.8%
    47.7% 461+204 38.2%

Crit-Severity Stat. Overall, getting better. Again, lazy so I'll copy+paste the bull**** about it that you don't care about.

Live Critical Severity:
    Base Severity is 50%
    4.6 Severity grants 61.3%
    8.9 Severity grants 65.6%

PTS Critical Severity:
    Base Severity is 50%
    2.5 Severity grants 61.7%
    4.6 Severity grants 63.7%
    8.9 Severity grants 66.1%
    15 Severity grants 68.4%
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ...people getting angry over arbitrary things

YEP, this here update is running smooth like the good ole days
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    laughinxan wrote: »

I'm not far from canceling now. If the changes on PTS goes live, I am pondering if I should even bother staying with the exodus i'm expecting.

Oh don't do that. Just use some other passive instead.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And then that passive will get nerfed so you tell me, move to a different one and that gets nerfed? Seriously, I can only put up with it for so long. When one gets nerfed and the crybabies get there way once, they continue to convince the devs to nerf other things, eventually we'll have citizens online again.

Preparation_H_Ointment_Main.png
    Here ya go. Don't try to pay me, I've been stocking up since this change was put on PTS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    [Patch Notes:
    All passives are now PFF with different fxs.
    To compensate for these changes, We have released black as a hue.(Note: There are certain display problems in most games with having pure black as a 'glow' it either defaults to white or does not display)
    You're Welcome!]

PositiveGuy: Hey, at least it isn't Medical Nanites!
    NegativeGuy: I think you mean Aura of Arcane Clarity.
    StupidGuy: No, he means Altered Phenotype.
    (All in unison): {short pause with slightly confused looks then acceptance}...Yea..
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh please, I don't even think the new LR even stands up to current PFF on test...

PFF is not a bad passive by any stretch of the imagination. You just can't regen shield durability with anything outside of passive and active defense.

You think LR is bad? Try AoAC or Medical Nanites or even Altered Phenotype!!!!!!

I cannot put in words how poor those 3 perform. They have their merits(except Altered Phenotype..) they do what they do but they fall so far behind when compared to active powers and gear..it isn't even funny..it is just sad(especially Altered Phenotype).

Edit: Oh, and if you want to know what altered phenotype is don't. Trust me...it isn't worth it to find out what it is and the effort spent finding out isn't rewarding at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Hehe, I use PFF myself, thats why I say LR isn't as strong as PFF :). My pff toon is not likely to be affected by these changes due to how I play her, but I won't be surprised if my tools for survival get nerfed into uselessness to and, yeah, there is a reason I'm really considering not renewing.

May I wish you good fortunes for your future then.

Me? I'm going to continue my escapades throughout CO for I have yet to find a reason not to. Nerfs are merely changes. The impacts of such are what I enjoy and stress over. Might I say that I find it very enjoyable when I am stressing a lot over minor changes. To me, CHANGE means there is someone in places 'higher-up' that cares and I can learn to live with any change except the Grelling-Nelson paradox. I honestly can't comprehend what exactly needs to be changed in order to eliminate this specific paradox..
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Unkillable builds do not, didn't and won't ever exist. I killed any opponent put in front of me with a f2p blade AT. Even your "unkillable," imaginary - FF friends. We should now be worried about the damage output of certain skills, since they already hit quite hard without getting our survivability nerfed into oblivion.

If you claim otherwise, make a video oft an unkillable opponent and post it.

Try fighting the PvP ffs.
    Need proof? Channel's frontlinetroll.

Nice changes, when should we expect them?
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I sure see a lot more negative feedback from your playerbase Cryptic.

The people applauding the changes don't have anything concrete to say about how these changes will improve the game.

On the other hand, its pretty clear that people are going to be upset by these changes and even less interested in staying in a stagnant game.

You want people to buy your new keys in droves, you gotta make sure they're willing to stay first. CO already has problems retaining lifetime members, and global nerfs without long term testing just further alienates your populace.

Continual nerfs without any major positive addition does not make for a happy customer. If you want the game to thrive, it would help to listen to the community once in a while.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    secksegai wrote: »
    The people applauding the changes don't have anything concrete to say about how these changes will improve the game.

Most of us have stated the information countless times.

It just gets boring talking to a brick wall, especially when that brick wall is trying to light nearby stuff on fire.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Continual nerfs without any major positive addition does not make for a happy customer.

Yeah. They nerf way too many things.
    • They nerfed my amount of out-of-game free time by adding even MORE sources of perks, action figures, costume parts and Questionite to farm. (Fatal Err0r)
    • They nerfed my ability to waste copious amounts of free time trying to get a mission to complete. (There and Bat Again)
    • They nerfed my ability to waste hard-earned Questionite, Globals and real-world cash on lockboxes full of worthless R3 mods. (Lockbox improvements)
    • They nerfed my ability to repeatedly die in low level content. (Starter kits on every new character)
    • They nerfed my ability to completely fill my bags with XP and Resource boosts. (XP Boost, Favor of the Champions and Resource Boost all now stack to 999 in your inventory)
    • They nerfed my ability to fail Smashes repeatedly. (Level gating the only failable alerts, and changing their reward so that they're less desirable for lowbies; changing a non-failable alert to give the XP buff instead)
    • They nerfed my ability to sell multiple Become Devices of the same type to a single player. (Unbinding Imperator and Robot Samurai becomes)
    • They nerfed my ability to accumulate death Perks by using Become Devices with no passives and/or broken passives.
    • They nerfed my ability to have horribly over- or undersized wings. (New sliders)
    • They nerfed my ability to use up all my unneeded Recognition tokens on duplicate costume parts. (Fixing the character-based unlocks on various Recognition costume parts)
    • They nerfed my ability to pick my powers from short lists. (New powers in various frameworks)
    • They nerfed my ability to damage my own force fields. (Bug fix to PFF and Field Surge)
    • They nerfed my ability to apply crowd control effects without gaining stacks of manipulator.

Need I go on?

Furthermore, I am eagerly awaiting the Dodge changes to go live. The static values on Dodge Passives, instead of scaling Dodge Rating based on superstats, will make it much easier to level these characters up - not all of us do Alerts to 40 and then instantly gear up in Legion Gear. I'm a little disappointed that they reeled LR back, but I'll wait until I test it to pass judgement.

Of course I would like to keep the higher Dodge chance on characters that will lose some points out of it. But as long as I can still solo all of the content that isn't designed for teams, and some of the team content, then the game is still fine.

The people who are upset because this change will negatively impact their ability to solo Lairs and Cosmics (yes, I realize that not all the people who are upset fall into this category), you need to be nerfed. You're throwing game balance way out of whack. And I'm saying that as someone who's soloed almost all the Lairs in the game.

Those who are complaining, but don't fall into the above category: Can you still solo the game from 1-40? Can you still fulfill your role on a team? If so (I haven't tested yet, but I suspect that the answer to both will be "yes"), then what do you have to complain about?
    edited October 2013

It just gets boring talking to a brick wall, especially when that brick wall is trying to light nearby stuff on fire.

Precisely.
    The people who are upset because this change will negatively impact their ability to solo Lairs and Cosmics (yes, I realize that not all the people who are upset fall into this category), you need to be nerfed. You're throwing game balance way out of whack. And I'm saying that as someone who's soloed almost all the Lairs in the game.

Those who are complaining, but don't fall into the above category: Can you still solo the game from 1-40? Can you still fulfill your role on a team? If so (I haven't tested yet, but I suspect that the answer to both will be "yes"), then what do you have to complain about?

50 points to Gryffindor.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    -
    -
    -

Need I go on?

One bonus does not invalidate an error, or something perceived as an error. Just because I massaged your feet doesn't mean it's okay if I pimp-slap you across the face later on.
    Furthermore, I am eagerly awaiting the Dodge changes to go live. The static values on Dodge Passives, instead of scaling Dodge Rating based on superstats, will make it much easier to level these characters up - not all of us do Alerts to 40 and then instantly gear up in Legion Gear. I'm a little disappointed that they reeled LR back, but I'll wait until I test it to pass judgement.

Of course I would like to keep the higher Dodge chance on characters that will lose some points out of it. But as long as I can still solo all of the content that isn't designed for teams, and some of the team content, then the game is still fine.

There's one problem. That's not 'fixing game balance'. That's creating an artificial challenge by altering players' builds. It's like being completely unchallenged by anyone at the poker table, so instead of finding a new table for you- the dealer pokes you in the eye and puts roofies in your drink to make it 'challenging'. Sure, it's harder- but at YOUR expense and not anyone else stepping up their game appropriately for your skill level.

Don't get me wrong. I think the freeform system is way borked and was a bad idea from the start, and probably should have been a bit more like City of Heroes. I don't think anyone should be able to solo as much of this game as people do. But, flying solo wouldn't be so desirable if the game didn't send so many players in the opposite direction.

But, what's this doing? "Hey, you guys are doing way to good with the current content. Instead of altering or adding to it or adjusting that, we're going to cripple you because that's the easy way. But don't worry, you can make up for that nerf WITH NEW JUSTICE GEAR available through our current business life support gamble box system!"
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes, because as shown the Justice Gear is clearly superior to what's available now...except in those instances where it's definitely not.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Really, seems to me my points were never negated, you just didn't agree they were true. Plenty of others can see where I'm coming from, and people who invest far more money into this game than I do.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, and I'd love to see spreadsheets that indicate the player base has grown since On-Alert. In fact, I'd love to see the numbers for current active members both pre-and post alert. I've been told that buying stock in PWE allows access to said information, but I take that with a grain of salt.

In fact, you don't even have to be limited to this game. Cite a situation in a game where players were made weaker that improved the player base and player retention. For me, I was there for SWG's combat upgrade so I'm pretty biased, but maybe there are games where people pay to gamble on in game gear that are happy to have that real money spent become invalidated.

• They nerfed my amount of out-of-game free time by adding even MORE sources of perks, action figures, costume parts and Questionite to farm. (Fatal Err0r)
    • They nerfed my ability to waste copious amounts of free time trying to get a mission to complete. (There and Bat Again)
    • They nerfed my ability to waste hard-earned Questionite, Globals and real-world cash on lockboxes full of worthless R3 mods. (Lockbox improvements)
    • They nerfed my ability to repeatedly die in low level content. (Starter kits on every new character)
    • They nerfed my ability to completely fill my bags with XP and Resource boosts. (XP Boost, Favor of the Champions and Resource Boost all now stack to 999 in your inventory)
    • They nerfed my ability to fail Smashes repeatedly. (Level gating the only failable alerts, and changing their reward so that they're less desirable for lowbies; changing a non-failable alert to give the XP buff instead)
    • They nerfed my ability to sell multiple Become Devices of the same type to a single player. (Unbinding Imperator and Robot Samurai becomes)
    • They nerfed my ability to accumulate death Perks by using Become Devices with no passives and/or broken passives.
    • They nerfed my ability to have horribly over- or undersized wings. (New sliders)
    • They nerfed my ability to use up all my unneeded Recognition tokens on duplicate costume parts. (Fixing the character-based unlocks on various Recognition costume parts)
    • They nerfed my ability to pick my powers from short lists. (New powers in various frameworks)
    • They nerfed my ability to damage my own force fields. (Bug fix to PFF and Field Surge)
    • They nerfed my ability to apply crowd control effects without gaining stacks of manipulator.

Need I go on?

Sliders are a welcome addition in a game built around customization. But its purely aesthetic.

Fatal Error was pretty unpopular - or the drop rate was horrendous - just look at the general lack of costume unlocks in AH for it and the high pricing. The sad thing is the low drop rate and countless runs required justify the 2k+ prices for a single unlock. The last day it was in rotation I could hardly get a pop.

Your general sarcasm is ironic tho - r3 mods have been a problem since lockbox release, and they FINALLy get to it. R4s are just as worthless.....

They released a broken item and eventually got around to fixing it.... that's not special, that should be the norm.

Remember when Comic Series was supposed to replace Action Pack Adventures?

Remember when crafting actually allowed you to create something of use and the different schools served a purpose? Like crafting one of those now legacy unlocks or items no longer even available....

I'm sorry, I came from games where bug fixes were the norm, not something to be praiseworthy. Foxbat was broken forever in his unity mission, it's great it finally got a fix YEARS later - but that doesn't mean hey you fixed foxbat, make my expensive legion gear worthless.

But lastly.... Does soloing impact anyone negatively honestly? I can solo Vik, but the horrendous drop rate makes the endeavor a chore and something I avoid. I have an Alt dedicated to destroying destroids in resistance, but several hundred robots later I'm not exactly enthusiastic to kill destroids on end.

Now, if the game had a dynamic where failure was normal and success was reward guaranteed sure, I'd understand making things far more difficult. But I hit 5000 villanous process kills and still had yet to acquire a total of 3 costume unlocks. Every cybermind run is under 200 processes, sometimes a lot less depending on how quick I was. Those fights went on for several minutes, sometimes taking over half an hour.

And what did I get, 3g. And you're telling me that people are going to be ecstatic about all this? Even my premade teams of skilled players saw occasional deaths. My pugs nearly wiped and often it was me and maybe one other player carrying the rest of the team to victory.

You want to make things harder on those people already struggling?

If you want to release a heavy nerf, you've got to change the dynamic first, get people excited about some new change, like a new zone or comic series. Fixes to long standing bugs are great, but are overshadowed when players are made substantially weaker.

In a game like this, balance is near impossible. There's a myriad of possible combinations, and some will perform far better than others. I myself tend to use what works best and spend hours in the ph tweaking and fine tuning adjustments. But on the other end of the spectrum you have people that build for fun or for theme with complete disregard or ignorance for performance. Not only do you make the best players weak, you make the "most casual" players even weaker than before.

I've invested countless hours on this game, and my main has over 51 days worth of play time alone. I don't want to retire her because suddenly I'm forced to find a GOOD tank to premade any time I want to do an alert, she's already device reliant enough as is. If my AT has to have the best gear available and the most expensive devices around to get by, what about the new silver that just hit 40 and has no resources...

The other night I was in a grab, which has become the most popular alert since it granted xp and the buff. I started with a team of 5, all under level 20. I'm on my quarry PA. Before we make it into City hall, there are at least 6 deaths, and two people quit. I'm barely staying alive because I'm not a tank and hits not dodged hit hard. Unlike most of my FFs, its especially difficult because of toggle delays.

So eventually I get to the boss. I'm tanking as much as I can for an off passive, but I can't prevent the melees from taking aoe damage. The lowbies that stuck around are dying repeatedly, and I do what I can to kill the adds while still holding threat of the Boss. Eventually I finish them off and the two that stuck around are rewarded for not givng up so easily despite being able to contribute so little.

Now I didn't die once, but I sure came close about 5 times, maybe more. The additional dodge/avoid from gear allowed me to utilize my skills to finish despite the odds. I was hardly unkillable, I just avoid defeat in this game as if it were xp debt.

So in that situation, was I too overpowered for being able to succeed at al? Or Should I have just left the alert when I saw the other teammates were struggling like the rest?
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The content is not the issue when it comes to game balance. The issue is the peformance gap between certain character options. To continue the gambling analogy (because what kind of intenet debate would this be without such?) what is being suggested is not drugging the professional poker player who is sitting in at a friendly game, but rather that he not be allowed to win by just out betting the regular joes at the table.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Kenpo uses:

1818289e-449c-4f2d-a4bc-ad0012876f7b.jpg

It's not very effective.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really, seems to me my points were never negated, you just didn't agree they were true. Plenty of others can see where I'm coming from, and people who invest far more money into this game than I do.

Go back to all of the other threads, where this has been discussed to death.
    I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, and I'd love to see spreadsheets that indicate the player base has grown since On-Alert. In fact, I'd love to see the numbers for current active members both pre-and post alert. I've been told that buying stock in PWE allows access to said information, but I take that with a grain of salt.

No idea. I'd say ask gamehobo but they sold their stock or something something hashtag telepathy swag...
    In fact, you don't even have to be limited to this game. Cite a situation in a game where players were made weaker that improved the player base and player retention. For me, I was there for SWG's combat upgrade so I'm pretty biased, but maybe there are games where people pay to gamble on in game gear that are happy to have that real money spent become invalidated.

Nobody's real-world money is being invalidated, so I don't know where that came from. Legion gear is still plenty useful for those who want to tailor make their builds to the extreme, SCR gear is extremely useful for those who want good gear but don't spend five hours figuring out the perfect best way to cycle their ability rotation.

The dev's don't even know how they're implementing Justice gear yet, and as people have said, in a lot of cases it's inferior to Legion. (As long as the mod boosting thing doesn't come back. That was just silly broke...) So, can we stop trying to use Justice gear in any conversation until something actually happens with it, aside from being added to the PTS?

As for the weaker thing, that's primarily because players seem somehow entitled to certain things in games. Saying the word 'nerf' has practically become a racial slur in some communities, because, oh god, how dare they touch my mega nuke cannon. Can't they just give me bigger planets to blow up?

One thing I think, that WOULD be useful, is the baseline adjustment scale. Or to be clearer, giving us an example of what they are aiming the baseline to be. It's clear that until rather recently many powers were sitting where they are mostly because they either didn't have staff, or that staff was very new to the code. Now that things can start to get adjusted, it will be interesting to see what they aim for.

As said, being informed of what they are aiming for would, probably, put a lot of fearmongering to rest.

At least I hope so.

Since hearing 'they're gonna nerf dodge and then nerf damage and then nerf customization and then nerf my mother' is getting tiring- actually, fudge that. It was tiring last year. Now it's just friggen annoying.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Here here!

When legion gear became available, some players quickly shifted to dodge/crit builds. They ended up being way more powerful than anything else the game had before. They have been around for nearly a year. Finally, a new dev team is getting the game back on course, including fixing this mistake--the mistake of one build type dominating the others.

That's right, you will no longer be able to have an offensive passive toon that never blocks and puts out the highest DPS in the game. You will have to make some choices.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2013

No idea. I'd say ask gamehobo but they sold their stock or something something hashtag telepathy swag...

Nobody's real-world money is being invalidated, so I don't know where that came from. Legion gear is still plenty useful for those who want to tailor make their builds to the extreme, SCR gear is extremely useful for those who want good gear but don't spend five hours figuring out the perfect best way to cycle their ability rotation.

The dev's don't even know how they're implementing Justice gear yet, and as people have said, in a lot of cases it's inferior to Legion. (As long as the mod boosting thing doesn't come back. That was just silly broke...) So, can we stop trying to use Justice gear in any conversation until something actually happens with it, aside from being added to the PTS?

As for the weaker thing, that's primarily because players seem somehow entitled to certain things in games. Saying the word 'nerf' has practically become a racial slur in some communities, because, oh god, how dare they touch my mega nuke cannon. Can't they just give me bigger planets to blow up?

One thing I think, that WOULD be useful, is the baseline adjustment scale. Or to be clearer, giving us an example of what they are aiming the baseline to be. It's clear that until rather recently many powers were sitting where they are mostly because they either didn't have staff, or that staff was very new to the code. Now that things can start to get adjusted, it will be interesting to see what they aim for.

As said, being informed of what they are aiming for would, probably, put a lot of fearmongering to rest.

At least I hope so.

Since hearing 'they're gonna nerf dodge and then nerf damage and then nerf customization and then nerf my mother' is getting tiring- actually, fudge that. It was tiring last year. Now it's just friggen annoying.

The various threads were overwhelmingly opposed to the changes.

1. Don't talk to me about money, cupcake.

2. Stop talking about what the devs do or do not know. You don't know what they know and vice versa.

3. Stop with the fearmongering torch talk. It doesn't work. If you don't beilieve me, close distance and ask really close like.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Need I go on?

wth are you even talking about?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    In fact, you don't even have to be limited to this game. Cite a situation in a game where players were made weaker that improved the player base and player retention.

City of Heroes: Enhancement Diversification and the Global Defense Nerf.

Both if those were ENORMOUS nerfs that destroyed countless builds. And yes, people left after each. But the two eliminated some horrible imbalances (anyone remember dumpster diving?), and ultimately alliwed for the addition of the invention system, an important aspect of character building for the latter 2/3 of the game's life.

Those nerfs happened around the second year of CoH's life. It lasted NINE years.
    Fatal Error was pretty unpopular - or the drop rate was horrendous - just look at the general lack of costume unlocks in AH for it and the high pricing. The sad thing is the low drop rate and countless runs required justify the 2k+ prices for a single unlock. The last day it was in rotation I could hardly get a pop.

<snip>

Now, if the game had a dynamic where failure was normal and success was reward guaranteed sure, I'd understand making things far more difficult. But I hit 5000 villanous process kills and still had yet to acquire a total of 3 costume unlocks. Every cybermind run is under 200 processes, sometimes a lot less depending on how quick I was. Those fights went on for several minutes, sometimes taking over half an hour.

And what did I get, 3g. And you're telling me that people are going to be ecstatic about all this? Even my premade teams of skilled players saw occasional deaths. My pugs nearly wiped and often it was me and maybe one other player carrying the rest of the team to victory.

You seem pretty obsessed with an Alert that isn't even currently available. I wouldn't have mentioned it as farmable if it isn't even there to farm, would I?

There's two parts to Fatal Err0r that are always available, even when the custom alert isn't. And if we're comparing personal experiences in the Alert, I never had a problem getting it to pop quickly, either as a PUG or a preformed group. We never failed or quit, even when some level 6 got stuck in the rain, recovered, and got locked out. It's also my second favorite alert.

You want to make things harder on those people already struggling?

If you want to release a heavy nerf, you've got to change the dynamic first, get people excited about some new change, like a new zone or comic series. Fixes to long standing bugs are great, but are overshadowed when players are made substantially weaker.

The "nerf" applied only to Dodge Rating. Many powers were buffed by being converted to Dodge Chance. Yes, Quarry got nerfed. It's still damn good. Yes, the top end got lowered. But the bottom end got raised.
    I've invested countless hours on this game, and my main has over 51 days worth of play time alone. I don't want to retire her because suddenly I'm forced to find a GOOD tank to premade any time I want to do an alert, she's already device reliant enough as is. If my AT has to have the best gear available and the most expensive devices around to get by, what about the new silver that just hit 40 and has no resources...

That's hyperbolic at best. On my first character, slotted with random green equipment and having no idea what I was doing, I soloed Resistance, because I had no idea it was intended as team content. I won. On a level 21 Blade.

I won't claim it was easy. It wasn't. I nearly quit several times. But I didn't even know about Heroic or Legion gear, or Legacy Devices, or any other overpowered crap, so claiming it's necessary is pure bullcrap.
    So in that situation, was I too overpowered for being able to succeed at al? Or Should I have just left the alert when I saw the other teammates were struggling like the rest?

I think that there should be less Viper in the Alerts targeted at low level characters. I've never seen wipe-fests like what you described with any other faction.

Yes, as you described it, you were overpowered. Soloing an Alert is like soloing a Lair: it isn't meant to happen. And if you lost two people early, and the other two were as ineffective as you make them sound, then you basically did solo it.
    Does soloing impact anyone negatively honestly?

Yes.

If you are soloing content intended for teams, you are throwing off the intended balance of the game.

Unless you never interact with any other players, you generate negative impact.

Are you farming Mega Ds for Gs? You are creating inflation in the player markets.

Are you farming Lair bosses for drops? The devs see a flood of what should be rare items and lower the drop rate.

If you complete a boss fight that's supposed to be extremely difficult in an unintendedly short time, the difficulty is increased further to bring the average difficulty up.

In an MMO, virtually everything you do has the potential to impact other players, even if you can't see how.
    edited October 2013
    The various threads were overwhelmingly opposed to the changes.

1. Don't talk to me about money, cupcake.

2. Stop talking about what the devs do or do not know. You don't know what they know and vice versa.

3. Stop with the fearmongering torch talk. It doesn't work. If you don't beilieve me, close distance and ask really close like.

See what I meant before? No point. :biggrin:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    On my first character, slotted with random green equipment and having no idea what I was doing, I soloed Resistance, because I had no idea it was intended as team content. I won. On a level 21 Blade.

It is not intended as an exclusive team content.

Adventure packs and comic issues are intended to scale with team size and be playable solo as well as with team.

Your completion of this AP was nothing wrong.

If you wish AP and CS being only for team, prepare for those to be almost never played. They're too long for team content and very often even premade teams can't withstand to the last part.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Here here!

When legion gear became available, some players quickly shifted to dodge/crit builds. They ended up being way more powerful than anything else the game had before. They have been around for nearly a year. Finally, a new dev team is getting the game back on course, including fixing this mistake--the mistake of one build type dominating the others.

That's right, you will no longer be able to have an offensive passive toon that never blocks and puts out the highest DPS in the game. You will have to make some choices.

I've never been one to say 'I can solo'. I have said 2GM/Quarry/Dodge build.

I cannot solo all the lairs. I cannot solo any of the Adventure packs except one.

Yet, people who can? Support this nerf. And they aren't using the same build.
    ashensnow wrote: »
    The content is not the issue when it comes to game balance. The issue is the peformance gap between certain character options. To continue the gambling analogy (because what kind of intenet debate would this be without such?) what is being suggested is not drugging the professional poker player who is sitting in at a friendly game, but rather that he not be allowed to win by just out betting the regular joes at the table.

That's the problem. I see iit as mitigating a problem in a lazy way by nerfing something effective, rather than improve where powers are lacking and giving the entire community content.

99 times out of 100, the people who come in bawling and saying 'your build sucks' when content is too hard/broken are the same ones that support these nerfs- because they don't effect their build.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was said earlier that "the player base" dislikes this upcoming change.

I've seen what, about five people in this thread complaining. Nobody else. Now, unless you're going to maintain that the entire player base is now between ten and fifteen people, that's just not a significant number. I know you're upset - but you being upset does not necessarily translate as us being upset, dig?

I think arguments on both sides might be better served by lowering the levels of hyperbole in the discussion...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Try fighting the PvP ffs.
    Need proof? Channel's frontlinetroll.

Nice changes, when should we expect them?

What you are describing are exploits, not actual game mechanics. No such thing as unkillable toons in Co and if so it is very likely that i already duelled and killed them and this would make the entire situation a paradoxon.

Sure, if you rely on frankenbuilds and are unable to comprehend their mechanics only using 1 attack with stacked def. Your damage won't be enough to scratch good tanks, i agree.

Besides, didn't i duel you and you ragequit because you could not kill a Blade AT with your franken toon... Then you told me to not use heals, shields, etc. Instead of learning to play you always start to cry. I remember you very good.

Anyways, video + build specs or it didn't happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spikeydoo422spikeydoo422 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I still don't know what to expect, but since most of you know far more about this game than I, I would appreciate it if someone would help me understand. I play unarmed melee chars (Tasha Dietrich and Cindy Starling) who have little enough hit points as it is. Does this mean that I will have to use a full-time defensive passive in order to survive? Since I have to get in close to do damage, how can I survive if my dodge gets slashed? And how can I do decent damage if my crit gets slashed?
    Again, I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I just don't understand, and it frustrates me.
    TY.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    What you are describing are exploits, not actual game mechanics. No such thing as unkillable toons in Co and if so it is very likely that i already duelled and killed them and this would make the entire situation a paradoxon.

It took that last sentence for me to remember who you are.

Besides, didn't i duel you and you ragequit because you could not kill a Blade AT with your franken toon... Then you told me to not use heals, shields, etc. Instead of learning to play you always start to cry. I remember you very good.

Anyways, video + build specs or it didn't happen.

Didn't we run you out of these forums for this sort of PvP-obsessed nonsense talk? And aren't you the guy who was whining because the Glacier and Unleashed AT's are 'too powerful'? And didn't you say you'd spent $500 getting your Blade AT 'top tiered'?

edited for the sake of mercy.

No, seriously, it's only going to get bad for you if you stay.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Since I have to get in close to do damage, how can I survive if my dodge gets slashed?

Your dodge is going to be reduced, but not eliminated. If you were using a dodge-granting passive before (Quarry, Way of the Warrior, Night Warrior), you will see a reduction. If you were getting your dodge entirely from specs and equipment, you could see it reduced by as much as half.

You will survive the same way characters with offensive passives were always meant to: Kill the other guy before he can kill you.
    And how can I do decent damage if my crit gets slashed?

Crits are being increased at the low end (If I remember correctly, you'll be starting with about a 5% crit chance, instead of 0.2%). In the middle range, they'll be about the same. At the high end, there will be a reduction. It will still be quite possible to build a high-crit chance build.

Offense is also being changed, so that its bonus multiplies in, rather than adding. Therefore, even though its bonus will be smaller, it will have a much more noticeable impact.

The intention is that you build for either crits for high spike damage or offense for consistent damage.
    Does this mean that I will have to use a full-time defensive passive in order to survive?

No. People can survive now with Offensive or Support Passives without any Dodge. They still will be able to in the future.

Remember, all you have to do to survive is outsmart your opponent. And the game's AI is dumb.
    edited October 2013

They revolved around this very change, and it was pretty clear to me that people still oppose it.

Certain legion gear will increase in value, namely offense, defense and greater health. Also known as the least valuable gear. Dodge/avoid gear, the most expensive has already dropped by over half their original cost since I came back thanks to the announcement of these changes, and those of us invested in it planned them for long term use. I haven't even had a legion agility for 3 months and I've watched them go from 2400 down to 1100 or less. Someone spent money for the zen to buy the keys to open the boxes.

If someone's invested time/effort/money into something, then to have that something changed in an undesirable way is going to make them upset. The majority of the content we have now is the same as we had pre-alert. Typical alerts use pre-existing resources and aside from a select few are basically modified missions or open world areas. So not only are you asking the players to repeat the same content yet again, you're asking that they do it from an even weaker state than before without any reward improvement.

People spent money on the prototype jets, and after they were nerfed to the ground there was such an uproar that refunds had to be issued to appease the players. Up until that point I couldn't think of another situation where they were willing to reimburse regardless of circumstance (short of actual banking errors of course).

People spent money to acquire the legacy devices. When the stacking was finally addressed if not for the uproar we very likely would have seen no recompense.

People spent money to deck themselves out in the best gear. The most expensive being the legion agility will have a fraction of its performance. You don't sell someone a lamborghini and then a year later tell them its over-performing and replace it with a civic.

You may not agree with my stance, but I'm sure we both agree we don't want to see the dwindling player base falter even more.
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    @embracemysword, I think many people are still upset over the kind of stuff you kept posting in the past, might be best not to bring any of it up at all now.

Oh i'm aware of it. But i guess it is my own fault.

@cybersoldier,

I'm glad you remember me.

It wasn't $500. A bit less. But yeah, at least i do NOT sub by using Paypal if u know what i'm saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]