test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your costuming pet peeves?

Comments

• jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Ohhh, I know EXACTLY how you feel. But about red hair. Red hair, at least natural red hair, shouldn't look like something you stole it off a clown. It should not match fire engines. It should not cause blindness or glow in the dark.

yeah. I get what you and Biff are saying but... there isnt exactly a large array of natural looking blonde nor red hair choices. Even the black isnt too natural looking. YOu have black with kills the details then ya have grayish black which make the toon look older than what I might be aiming for. Then ya can put some dark color in it but still I can see the other color meaning the hair isnt actually black it's just dark brown, not dark brown enough to even look black.

But I get around that problem because many of my characters actually dye their hair, (lets me get a bit fancy with the hair colors outside the usual shade of brown or black or spending an hour or two trying to get blonde decent looking.)
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oh i hate small hands and/or feet
    or short arms(stand up you'll see your arms go below your waist)
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    22 May, 2013. Ren Center.

It's afternoon. Usually quiet. On my way to do the usual, selling off the scavenged remnants of my last encounter. Casually interact with allies. Listen to the radio. This is what I call normal, as sad and strange as that may be.

That's when it falls. Orbital? Atmospheric? No idea. The steel cylinder embeds itself with a shockwave that rings my ears and staggers me. Through the smoke, dust, and debris I crawl for my Smokey & The Bandit travelmug. It isn't here.

That's when I see it. Seven feet tall. Wearing a red gi. Yellow hair that defies gravity. I've seen this before. Television. Bad television about Dragon Balls and aliens. Alien. That's what it is. Most likely took the form of something popular, thinking this form would allow it to blend in. Win over the children. Conquer a generation.

It's staring at me. I raise my hands, offering it a gesture of peace. It tilts its head, massive inhuman eyes, most likely not fully formed to mimic the native norm- they stare me down. Its smiling. A forced, stiff, unmoving smile. It speaks a single word in a voice like a child, prepubescent.

"Duel?"

It's testing me. It wants a challenge. But I'm not like this. I won't start a war with an alien species over my ego, no... I walk away. Slowly, backing away.

Then the orbital projectile strikes again, and it repeats the word.

"Duel?"

No way outta this one. I draw my weapons.

I can't tell you what happens next. Fire. Guns. Blades. Shadow creatures. Unseen force knocking me off my feet. I come to, too much pain. I lay there, wishing the God above would intervene.

That's when it speaks, an alien language no human ear has heard.

"Noob estupido que voce nao pode duelo huehuehuehue"

And then he backflipped away.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What are you talking about?

I believe there is a new form of Smack on the forum... :rolleyes:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My all-time, biggest peeve is the default hero costume color theme and bits. The blue-yellow abomination that is the first thing people get to modify.

Seeing it repeated unmodified, or just those colors, really makes me a little sad. Unless the costume makes those colors work for it, but so few of them rarely do.

It's like seeing people walking around wearing Play-Doh. Totally breaks my concentration. :|

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I believe there is a new form of Smack on the forum... :rolleyes:

You're right, and I think we should find out who's dealing it. Shut them down. Immediately.
    edited June 2013
    You're right, and I think we should find out who's dealing it. Shut them down. Immediately.

It could become a huge issue, if left unchecked...

edited June 2013
    It could become a huge issue, if left unchecked...

You're right. Hopefully, the perpetrators of this silliness will get bored with it, or told to stop.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Timestamp: 9 Jun 2013 18:27:14 EDT

After years of multiverse post-mission debriefings, you'd think I'd be accustomed to explaining the weird ones. You'd be wrong. Qliphoth is screwed up in ways I couldn't imagine when I was in the [REDACTED].

Caliga was blustering, as always, about his prowess as we faced down the Kings of Edom. I could tell it was a bit of a cover. Subtle, barely detectable tremors in his voice, heart rate still slightly elevated, occasionally glancing down at the thick plate glass bridge we stood on. Nothing I had detected in the heat of battle, of course. Caliga is a consummate professional when it comes to punching things that need punched. But give anybody time to sit down and
    reflect on the horrors--

Proximity sensors detect inbound movement. Someone other than the pedestrian and vehicle traffic. Humanoid silhouette, 2.47 m tall, thick as a draysha junkie. Dorsal kinetic barriers reflexively primed for activation. Caliga looked over my shoulder and tilted his head. Lack of recognition or disbelief? If only he'd take off that damned helmet. He didn't take a defensive posture.

I turned around to see a false-color image of The Incredible Hulk, ripped from the comic books and made flesh. Vivid purple skin, muscles on top of muscles, shredded pants a shade of green that should never be seen more than 500 meters from a golf course.

He stared straight down at me, the male gaze piercing the decorative red kinetic barrier over my chest. At that moment, I wished I had coded a font renderer for my barrier matrix, so I could spell out "MY EYES ARE UP HERE, JAGOFF" in glowing red 72 pt. Helvetica type. Before I could say it, though, he spoke with a thick-tongued basso profundo rumble...

"MORE LIEK SILICONE AMIRITE?"

Then, with unexpected agility, he backflipped away.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Caliga cosplayers.

If you hate them so much you could always kick them from your SG:wink:

One of my pet peeves is eyebrows.....people having them over their costume still in the default blue.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited June 2013
    You guys have no idea how tempting it is to go thru this thread writing down all the listed pet peeves and assemble a costume that uses all of them, barring overlaps. I especially hate the eyebrows over the mask one, but I have a The Monarch idea I'm mulling over that just seems perfect for that one.

Also, cyber, "Uncle."

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Batman had the eyebrows on his mask, so it's legit.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013

But they'd backflip away if you tried to approach them.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My biggest pet peeve has to do with colors.
    For example, your earrings are gold, then so should your necklace, or bracers, or belt buckle, etc. It's all part of color coordination. There are no "taboo" colors, just remember to match your shades in different parts as well. Like if you use the charcoal grey for your upper tights, make sure it's the same shade on the lower portion too. I know there's looks that need different shading, but if you have a "bodysuit" tights look, match it up :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    oh i hate small hands and/or feet
    or short arms(stand up you'll see your arms go below your waist)

But not down to your knees. The default size for hands, arms, legs and feet IS way too big, and so many people just don't know it, or care.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Batman had the eyebrows on his mask, so it's legit.

By this logic you would also have to accept your personal hatred of yellow hair, as blondes are prolifically portrayed as yellow haired in comics (unless they are the platinum variety of course).:wink:
    edited June 2013
    Which iteration of Bats had actual eyebrows? There were a couple that come to mind from Detective Comics runs that had a ridge feature, there, but that artist was also having the mask emote, which I always thought was a stretch, like having the "eyes" on Spiderman's mask change size to express emotion changes. (Now that I think about it, it may have been McFarlane.)

Hopefully, this doesn't mean we're advocating nipples on costumes, too. Family-friendliness aside, that would just look terrible.

• p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It had been a long time since I was in the field. Too long.

I'd just had my superhero license reinstated by UNITY, and was growing used to the idea of slashing with claw and fang instead of ethereal blades. I was rusty, but that could be fixed with practice.

Practice would have to wait, however; Mindslayer was robbing a bank. Without thinking I ran over, glad I was close enough to the scene to not need transport.

One of our teammates was still en route when I arrived, so I had time to shift to my battle form and look over my teammates. They seemed frightened at first (gotta work on that), but were reassured when I greeted them.

Then my eyes were blinded. Some....thing...had arrived. I couldn't make out its costume, so intense were the glows emanating from its hands and feet. And they kept shifting colors, from purple to green and back again. Apparently, this was our final teammate.

We proceeded to tear Psi a new one, but I had to admit I wasn't up to par. I could barely see Mindslayer's minions as the riot of glows kept blasting flame every which way, causing my eyes to tear. I didn't even know they could.

As we stood over Mindslayer's unconscious body, the glowing monstrosity jogged over to where I stood. He stared at me, breathing heavily, and I wondered what I could have possibly done to earn this attention. Then he spoke, in a voice that could tear sheet metal:

"Sik Costume Bro!"

Then he backflipped away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I believe the eyebrows came into fashion with the Adam West Batman series. Unfortunately the Batman comic mirrored the show's campiness in order to cash in on it's popularity.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nude non-bestial toons. If you're a "were" or something cool. Other than that it just seems like looking for attention...in a video game.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    By this logic you would also have to accept your personal hatred of yellow hair, as blondes are prolifically portrayed as yellow haired in comics (unless they are the platinum variety of course).:wink:
    atring wrote: »
    Which iteration of Bats had actual eyebrows? There were a couple that come to mind from Detective Comics runs that had a ridge feature, there, but that artist was also having the mask emote, which I always thought was a stretch, like having the "eyes" on Spiderman's mask change size to express emotion changes. (Now that I think about it, it may have been McFarlane.)

Hopefully, this doesn't mean we're advocating nipples on costumes, too. Family-friendliness aside, that would just look terrible.
    I believe the eyebrows came into fashion with the Adam West Batman series. Unfortunately the Batman comic mirrored the show's campiness in order to cash in on it's popularity.

Adam West was the one I was referring to. The painted on lavender eyebrows. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Adam West was the one I was referring to. The painted on lavender eyebrows. :P

adam-west-batman-300x225.jpg

I saw the Bat Signal Commissioner Gordon! What nefarious fiend is causing trouble in the city!

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What really bothers me is people maxing out the chest depth slider on female characters.
    They're trying to go for a bigger bust but all it does is make her look horribly deformed.

Also characters without eyebrows. That just looks silly.
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dang... Red/black, "I'll take everything with everything on it", and disproportionate characters. All my pet peeves have been taken :frown:
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, I fooled around with an accessory heavy costume theme last night.

Does tacking on every piece with holo-field count?

'Cause, damn, that look sure is busy, especially with a neon green holo-field.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited June 2013
    artmanpwe wrote: »
    Well, I fooled around with an accessory heavy costume theme last night.

Does tacking on every piece with holo-field count?

'Cause, damn, that look sure is busy, especially with a neon green holo-field.

Oh. Oh yes. I forgot about this.

"Look- Up in the sky!"

"It's a bird!"

"It's a plane!"

"It's... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adKjN0g8ps "
    edited June 2013
    Let's take all the 'moments' and put them in a thread I'm making specifically for them. These have too much potential.
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have two pet-peeves, one general and one costume contest-specific.

Glow. I love it and at the same time I hate it. Love it because it can impart a sense of power to a costume, hate it because it's so abused by the playerbase (I must admit, I myself abused it until I started seriously attending costume contests). It should accent your costume, not define it. :mad:

My contest-specific one is showing up wearing all the pieces of a particular set. I understand that the set pieces are designed to work well together, but contests aren't just about how well you can manipulate the sliders and color your outfit: they're about seeing how well you can use the pieces available to make a truly unique costume. Seeing someone show up in all Rock or all Tesla only shows how well Cryptic can design sets, not your own costuming prowess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can say that being a comic book fan for over 35 years, I like game characters that look like they are from a comic book. And in comics (the ones I like anyway) everything is bigger and better. The guys are all handsome, and the women are all gorgeous. Everyone's idealized to some degree.

I don't hate on people with differing views, but I do sometimes wonder why people make the choices I see. Toons using only one basic hue (like dark pastels) aren't particularly attractive to me, but once in a while I see a well designed toon where the colors fit the theme. I guess that's the thing for me... pick a theme and work it!

I am guilty of making large female toons that sometimes show skin. But I don't really enjoy spending hours staring at a (virtual) guy's behind, so there's that. Out of over 35 total characters, only 4 are male.

I agree that using all the pieces from a set don't really show off your costuming skills. I have a rock themed toon "Brittany Boulder" who has the prerequisite rock skin, but has various outfits that are hopefully somewhat unique. It's harder to do when the rock skin limits the pieces you can use.

I'm still waiting for the Caliga Set, which I heard comes with a Mega Superstat (basically a Primary Superstat before the Primary Superstat): Awesomeness, and it's already maxed out at 800! :biggrin:
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Where to begin with? This game have game so many Pet Peeves the last 3 years that I don't even know anymore!

1. Seeing people with the Default Archetype Costumes especially for the Non-Free archetypes!
    Did you REALLY bought that Archetype, JUST to play as the Default costume? Seriously?
    I swear If I see Another Unleashed, Inferno, Gracier or Radiant default costume in Alerts!!

2. Red & Black Especially FULL BLACK

3. The fact that Jack Fool Mask have became Synonym with PvP Elitist/Fanatics/Sore Losers players! I wanted to to have this Mask to death, and when I actually got it I reallized what a Overated piece of crap it was!
    I wanted to use it as a Substitute for Avian Warrior pack, but it doesn't work at all for me! :frown:

4. The Default Body type! (I remember when I came across one player with the Default skinny body with one of my "Chubby" characters and he asked how to get a similar body type)
    I do miss the Body Templates

5. The Entire Female Character costumization! WHY DO YOU FORCE MY FEW FEMALE CHARACTERS TO HAVE A SANDGLASS BODY TYPE? In Male custumization I can make them Chubby and somehow normal! In Female I get an atrocious deformed Spine :mad:

6. Costume Pieces with Auras. I'm sorry but I find the Auras of costume pieces like Cursed Bracers, Scourge Bracers, Crown/Jewel/Band of Edom, Takofanes Crown/Bracers to be incredible Obnoxious looking!
    I tried to use them for a character but I realized how Ugly they make my character look!
    It's doesn't help that we CAN'T color the primary aura color!
    People use it for Costume Overkill
    And It cause me somehow to get Nausea!

7. Huge/Bulky/Macho characters with SMALL Head/Arms/Feet some people seems to forget to maximize the Head Slider (for the records I have all my character's Head/Height/Width/Depth Sliders to max to balance with their Body Types)

8. Seeing Females with MAX Chest & Breasts! So much Deformed!! Is the player seriously Turned on by This thing? :confused:

9. Unnecessary Accesories Your characters Does not need to have all this crap on him! You don't need Tail, Arm - head an out of place BACK accesory E.t.c

10. Costume Overkill

11. WOLVES JESUS, Most OVERRATED animal Ever! I'm absolutly sick of Seeing Wolves Toons EVERYWHERE!
    Start Using the OTHER Bestial Heads People!
    I have character concepts who use The Vulture, Simian, Toad, Bear, and If I was Gold I would have made characters with EVERY bestial head except of the Wolves

12. Blue Screen Of Death Blue tone Just Why? From all the Blue color tones you had to pick THIS?
    Do you enjoying hurting your Eyes or something? Blue is supposed to be a Relaxing-CHill color
    Also RED Overkill OH GOD WHY!?

13. MESSY MOHAWK it became so much Overrated!
    It doesn't help that Inferno's default costume has it!
    This really REALLY make me sad because I have an OC whose hair is goofy-anime-ish Two color tone, and this hairstyle is Closer I can get in the game which I could use for him... BUT everyone and their Mothers are using it! so I avoid to make the character ingame
    (*Take an extra point for every character you come across who use Jack Fool Mask + Messy Mowhawk and is PvP Snob Elitist)
    (More Hair styles cryptic THX BYE)

14. Avian Warrior Pack Because I CAN'T get it and I want it SO BAD since the Post of the Concept art, 2 years ago! and I will never get over it! :mad:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    Oh, and another one:

- How short are short dress models for female characters. Way too short even if character has realistic, shorter than default, leg length.

There should be another length in character creator, between short and medium dresses.

bluhman wrote: »
    For me? It's colors.
    • Using only 2 colors
    • Even usage of colors over the whole outfit

:biggrin:
    http://oi43.tinypic.com/25tanpj.jpg
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/jhcydg.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Entirely black n' red colour schemes that irritate my eyes, dark auras that look just plain goofy (Like Bacon Overlord's fart cloud of an aura), THAT OVERUSED WOLF HEAD, tails that have no business being there and spike overload.
    edited June 2013
    Thing about dual colors? Some costume sets, the third color is so... pointless or simply.. not there.

The piece itself for long hair- the one that lays over the shoulders? It looks... like sleazy porn star hair.

Mix/Match of the glowy parts that have different patterns- like the holo hex and Psi stuff combined.

It's been said once, I'll say it again- the animal heads are hideous. Like, they are most certainly not something I'd use ever- but it still irks me that they're so hideous. It looks like bad taxidermy for someone with a deranged and morbid sense of humor.

EVERYTHING METAL!!! weirds me out, for some reason, unless it's something that should be- like armor or something.

Wearing just a bra. Seriously, girl. It's Victoria's SECRET, not Victoria's Public Display.

Wearing the pistol holster belt with another pistol on the thigh of the same side.

Spikes all over the leather jacket to look 'like a biker'. From what, 1986?

Black Leather Everything with silver buckles and studs as a 'civilian' outfit for males. All that's missing is the leather 'officer hat' to make this look complete. I'll give you a hint: Rob Halford doesn't wear it because it's 'badass heavy metal clothes'.

Making normal clothing the deepest, darkest black that in no way possible could happen naturally. However, I can see how it works for certain things.

Big hands on chicks.

Dark Aura and Darkspeed on at the same time. Dark Aura in and of itself is an eyesore and noisy bother.

KATANAS EVERYWHERE!!! Because really, dude- it's a katana. What the hell do you need 4 of them for? If they were good enough weapons for you to choose, then they shouldn't need 'spares'. It's a long flat piece of metal with a sharp edge and a pointy tip- it's not going to malfunction for you to have to get another out.

Costumes that are 'Totally not [copyrighted character] because the colors are different'.

Females with that face pattern that makes them look like 50-somethings from Beverly Hills after cosmetic surgery and botox.

I'll defend Red & Black only on the principle it's a dark red and not that bright 1980's B-Movie blood red.

MASSIVE EPIC DRAGON WINGS on anything. Actually, in general, I despise wings because unless you're flying around they just look comically stupid and are all up in everyone's face- and even then the noise when you're not moving and just hovering is annoying. I honestly can't think of any characters I've seen where wings has enhanced their appearance. But that's just me, could be some cool ones.

Obnoxiously bright glowing red eyes, especially on 'Vampires'. You don't look scary, you look like the tail lights on a moped backing up toward me in the dark.

Another thing that's more Cryptic's fault: 'Cyborgs' that look like something designed in 1982.

Torsos as wide as the front of my truck, arms as big around as my tires... waist smaller than a beer can.

Neon Ninjas.

Deathmurder McSkull-Ninja The Gun-God in black.... 'Murica flag on his chest.

"Tactical" gear in bright colors. Where did you do your combat tour, soldier- the Ball Pit at McDonald's Playland?

General rule- you don't have to use EVERY category with options.
    edited June 2013
    I don't have a particular pet peeve when it comes to costuming, but I do in forum posts: spurious, random color changes. Some colors are illegible, or even invisible, on the forum background. If I have to strain to read more than a couple of lines, you don't even get a "tl;dr."

And, no, I don't have vision problems, but I can complain like an ornery old man when I need to. :biggrin:

• jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Another thing that's more Cryptic's fault: 'Cyborgs' that look like something designed in 1982.

You prefer that they look like they were designed in 1981, I take it?
    edited June 2013
    You prefer that they look like they were designed in 1981, I take it?

Well, for there to be a 'Mark 4 style, Muthaf**ka!', there had to be a Mark 1...
    edited June 2013
    Well, for there to be a 'Mark 4 style, Muthaf**ka!', there had to be a Mark 1...

I googled that, but I still don't get it. :<

In the process, I found "Codename Spitfire". That's one of my costume pet peeves, actually. You can't do women in giant power armor.

Also, a lot of the mens' hair clips with the scalp. That's probably the main thing that you want it to not clip with. ಠ_ಠ
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013

In the process, I found "Codename Spitfire". That's one of my costume pet peeves, actually. You can't do women in giant power armor.
    Well, you can, actually - you couldn't tell Jenny was in the MAX armor, because it doesn't have to look like a woman. :smile:

(Now, if what you're talking about is the option to have a second "costume" that is the woman out of the armor, then yeah, that's a valid point.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2013
    That, and to do a visible face, like Black Talon. Seeing her without the helmet on is what reminded me.

Being able to have a less angular male face, and a more square female face would be nice, too.

I want to be able to tone down the "Breast Shader", as well as have a smaller bust without costume distortion. I've gotten pretty good at keeping the distortion to a minimum, but it doesn't work with some body types.
    edited June 2013

It's a reference to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Something that is well worth the time to look into.

Link Warning: Language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some of these peeves are incredibly petty. I can't stand someone just using two colors for their costumes, ignoring that a possible thematic reason might be behind that choice! I can't stand black hair + brown eyes. how dare you play a character of certain race with such genetic attributes! Oh no, you're using accessories on your toon! Keep it simple man! Oh look it's another Japanese anime-inspired cyber-ninja/samurai katana-user, SO ORIGINAL! Another wolf person! Get out! Look, that female character is using max breast slider! HARLOT!

I wonder if anyone realizes that someone who would be "guilty" of any of these might come across a thread like this and feel bad / insulted. If that's the main goal of it, then congratulations for showing others what sort of a "costume noob" they can be, as described in the OP.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My pet peeves about costumes are purely "why can't I make this look work" sort of things. LIke, the Superconductor Tights. That wire or tube or whatever it's supposed to be clips through some other pieces sometimes. Irks me to no end when I try to make an outfit using those tights.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My costume pet peeves.

It has to to be Franks costume...that damn bunneh each time he is on pushes me offa ledges all the freaking time U__U"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My pet peeves about costumes are purely "why can't I make this look work" sort of things. LIke, the Superconductor Tights. That wire or tube or whatever it's supposed to be clips through some other pieces sometimes. Irks me to no end when I try to make an outfit using those tights.
    My mileage varies on that one - some of my looks have depended on clipping (Backfire's helmet/breather combo, for instance). It all depends on what you're doing with it, really.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2013
    Actually, after time, this is the main two I have:

-Pieces available in one material. Flat plate, why must you taunt me...

-NPC/Become parts not available.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    - Not having actual waist slider on females. Makes impossible to make proportional bodies for huge brick type females. It always ends with waist being too thin with comparison with rest of the body. I understand that long time ago She-Hulk was simply green colored supermodel, but in modern comic books you can have more then one body type for female bricks.

- Elongated giraffe neck on females. No comments. Visible especially with flight poses.

- Armor parts with only metal texture available. Especially heavy ones. Your first move when building combat armor in reality would be to NOT make it glossy, since reflective surfaces can literally glow in night vision.
    Not every hero is Tony Stark type who wants to be always in the spotlight.
    Which makes legacy power and holo hex costume sets my favorite ones, since you can use both with non-glossy textures.

- Dated robotic/cyborg parts looking like something stolen from old pulp sci-fi movie. None of my cyborgs/bots uses it because having your vital components exposed makes completely no sense. Model wise Bureau 17 bots and Mega-Terak are the most non-functional warmachines. Ever. ARGENT cyborgs as well.
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    -

- Armor parts with only metal texture available. Especially heavy ones. Your first move when building combat armor in reality would be to NOT make it glossy, since reflective surfaces can literally glow in night vision.
    Not every hero is Tony Stark type who wants to be always in the spotlight.
    Which makes legacy power and holo hex costume sets my favorite ones, since you can use both with non-glossy textures.

Yeah. Wished some parts had non-metal option for that type of theme. Although, come to think about it, most heroes dont build or dress for modern stealth combat anyways.
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    -Black and -insert glowing colour- (often red)
    -Wolf heads.
    -An abuse of large meshes such as the Qliphothic armor.
    -A hood and lots of blades everywhere.
    -Therakiel Wings.
    -Max height.

And you know what's funny? All of those can be combined.

edited June 2013
    Is your complaint about wolf heads that the ones in this game look stupid? Because I would add that complaint about most animal heads, really. I thought the frog ones looked stupid until I got the Gadroon missions. Now, I see a very narrow use for them, but I think I hate the Gadroon.

I have to ask why the Cyborgs, the actual Argent baddies, need lightsabers. There aren't many things in the game that have stopped me dead out of sheer bewilderment, but that one did.

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guess I got a few more:
    • Nephilim Armor/Aesthetic - I see a character waltz in, and they're just some skeleton/demon/whatever faced dude wearing a big cluster of Nephilim parts, sometimes mixed up with things like Roin'esh and stuff. Ok, great. Your outfit gives me no insight to what your character actually does or what powers they have. What it says to me is: "I want to show off how powerful I am by using these bulky, unlockable pieces!" All it does is remind me why I don't play WoW.
    • Female characters with a jacket, but no shirt. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    • Characters who are obviously human, but 8 feet tall. If you're giant, I expect there to be a reason. Like being a frost giant. Or a golem. Or a moose/cow/tiger/horse/lion manimal, since most of those are a good deal longer/taller than 8 feet.
    • Children characters that don't actually look like children. Can't really be helped with guys, but I've seen too many 'children' that are just normally proportioned people, but really short. Come on.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

This discussion has been closed.