test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is YOUR fault. Now shush and stop buying.

jolokia13jolokia13 Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
That's right.

Shut up about this vehicle update.

1: YOU ASKED FOR IT.
2: YOU BUY THIS CRAP.

Which makes all of this YOUR fault.
Which directs me to point 3.

3: YOU KEEP COMPLAINING, YET YOU KEEP BUYING.

You're not going to get real content out of this game, unless you THE PLAYERBASE, takes action against this development team. YOU (the players) are steering the direction of this game in a negative direction by feeding them.

If you boycott these kinds of things (lockboxes and vehicles), they'll stop producing NON-CONTENT. I am a gold subscriber. I have never bought a lockbox, nor a lockbox key. And i NEVER WILL. Because it is shooting myself in the foot. It is counter-productive. It doesn't help Champions Online AT ALL. That money is NOT being put back into the game. It's being spent elsewhere on other projects.

Everytime you buy a lockbox, the digital gods cry.

Please stop buying things other than costumes from the C-store so we can get some content for Champions Online!

-Sincerely,
A very concerned citizen of Millennium City.
Post edited by jolokia13 on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Making post in Forum won't stop people buying stuff.
    You need to pick up a 'DON'T BUY!'sign and go wave it front of PW building. And hit people in the head with it everytime they walk past you.
    You gain some news coveridge and people might actually see what you're trying to say.

And if you're a very concerned citizen of Millennium City, STOP fudging running after me. I don't like it. I might run you over with my tank.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey .. whats that ? Why do i see my words posted with a strange avatar ? :eek:

In other words .. thats excactly my opinion ;)
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I have this vision of my telepathy toon, Hypno, standing in front of a row of hovertanks in "MC Square". Time to photoshop a Tiananmen Square photo.....:biggrin:
  • Options
    keshmarchkeshmarch Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    PWI needs revenue for new content. If sales drop, they'll be forced to release more desirable things. It's not anyone's fault.

We just have to deal with it.
    Tark%20Signature_zpscmqoxjfn.png~original
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Firstly shush yourself telling people what to say on the forums is BS...if people want to moan they can moan its what a forum is for.

Secondly some of us like this new crap I have a tank..a FLYING TANK!..how is that in anyway crap?

What most people dont like is the Prototype Jets getting nerfed nothing to do with the tanks of awesome.

Well the lockboxes are sucky but the C-Store tanks are just dandy.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keshmarch wrote: »
    PWI needs revenue for new content. If sales drop, they'll be forced to release more desirable things. It's not anyone's fault.

We just have to deal with it.

Perfect World and Cryptic have made it obvious that they have no intention of re-investing revenue back into the game. They've put the game on life support; almost every dollar they bring in through the C-Store is apparently being invested in the next game.

Buying keys and grab bags just invests money in Neverwinter. And that's why I won't play Neverwinter- because any money they make in that game will just go on to fund their next game. Perfect World is using the "churn" method of game development- rather than keeping their existing games running, they just use any revenues to fund their next game.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hated the concept of focusing on vehicles from the get go.

I do have 4 jets one of each and a spare interceptor that bound accidentally during a trade.

I did purchase around 35 keys or so.

I did complain about the lockboxes before doing so.

-Salvage required opening lockboxes
    -legion gear chances required opening lockboxes

Now that we've seen the impact of vehicles on live it's only reinforcing my belief that the focus on vehicles would bring nothing of value, essentially more harm than good.

I enjoyed my jets as a long range bomber and high speed travel. They no longer offer neither, and are a handicap in the vehicle alert which has been promoted for some time.

I at no one point said please cheat me out of something I invested in.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Perfect World and Cryptic have made it obvious that they have no intention of re-investing revenue back into the game. They've put the game on life support; almost every dollar they bring in through the C-Store is apparently being invested in the next game.

Buying keys and grab bags just invests money in Neverwinter. And that's why I won't play Neverwinter- because any money they make in that game will just go on to fund their next game. Perfect World is using the "churn" method of game development- rather than keeping their existing games running, they just use any revenues to fund their next game.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Under PWE we have had 2 major updates ( I say major as in major in PWE eyes ) , compared to most Perfect World games Champions Online has ( I kid you not remember this is a comparison ) a large players base and a lot of content ( again comparison and PWE content is the Bizzario world version of content).

Champions gets a lot of love ( again its an odd sorta communist love ), its a great little game who cares if its tiny on content its still freaking fun to play.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Secondly some of us like this new crap I have a tank..a FLYING TANK!..how is that in anyway crap?

What has acual BEING a tank to do with "Be the HERO you want to be" ?

Yeah yeah .. i know .. Wolverine these days uses a tank all days since claws simply don't cut it :biggrin:

I still wonder why tanks have no chance against the Hulk, and where is the reason for Hulk to be a tank :tongue:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    beldin wrote: »

Yeah yeah .. i know .. Wolverine these days uses a tank all days since claws simply don't cut it :biggrin:

I still wonder why tanks have no chance against the Hulk, and where is the reason for Hulk to be a tank :tongue:

Because Nepht has always wanted a flying tank thats what its got to do with "Be the VILLAIN ima wanting to be". Everyone one knows a Neko mummy should always have a flying tank at hand. Yew dont know that? WHAT DID THEY TEACH YEW AT SCHOOL! I bet it was some crap like maths or proper grammer.

Oh and BTW yesterday I one shotted 2 Wolverine clones and a Hulk yesterday WITH MY TANK \o/
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    So you'd rather run around with a tank become DEVICE toggled on all the time than actually use super hero powers?

Shouldn't you be playing Halo?
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Firstly shush yourself telling people what to say on the forums is BS...if people want to moan they can moan its what a forum is for.

What most people dont like is the Prototype Jets getting nerfed nothing to do with the tanks of awesome.

Well the lockboxes are sucky but the C-Store tanks are just dandy.

At this point, I should just switch my signature to 'what Nepht said'.

What if my hero wants a flying tank, or a jetbike, or a totally-not-the-Batjet?
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    jolokia13 wrote: »
    So you'd rather run around with a tank become DEVICE toggled on all the time than actually use super hero powers?

So its not play the hero I want to be but play the hero you want us to play it as. Got it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Actually....

It's PAY to be the hero you want to be. You've got it all wrong.....
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Firstly I hates any FPS that isnt DOOM.

Secondly I rather be holding said tank over my head while I run around Ren Cen screaming come COME AT ME BROU!!

But alas Cryptic have yet to make my dream happen.
  • Options
    ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Under PWE we have had 2 major updates ( I say major as in major in PWE eyes ) , compared to most Perfect World games Champions Online has ( I kid you not remember this is a comparison ) a large players base and a lot of content ( again comparison and PWE content is the Bizzario world version of content).

Champions gets a lot of love ( again its an odd sorta communist love ), its a great little game who cares if its tiny on content its still freaking fun to play.

What do you consider to be "major updates"? 'Cause for me, that'd be Vibora Bay. You know, the one that came out real early on... before PWI. Features are NOT content- and content is king.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Firstly I hates any FPS that isnt DOOM.

Secondly I rather be holding said tank over my head while I run around Ren Cen screaming come COME AT ME BROU!!

But alas Cryptic have yet to make my dream happen.

Even if it would happen, you wouldn't see the tank anyway...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    captiveofthevoidcaptiveofthevoid Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    guess i'll just drop my sig here. Go check it out (Read it, it is good for forming an opinion)

@the_banished_one
    Just a simple Sig
    Why is it so hard to make it interesting?
  • Options
    titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They'll never stop selling crap now so if we all stop buying, the game will just go bye bye... this premise that if we can somehow force them to make content is futile in my opinion. They'll make content when ever they feel they need to or when it's financially sound to their Chinese overlords. I can hear my girlfriend humming that Gangnam Style song and she really fat... she's not a lady though so there's always hope...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted

In the local toy ailse they have this Iron Man Action Figure where Iron Man is riding a ATV. I asked a friend what does Iron Man need a ATV for? His response, "Because they're freaking awesome!"

Good enough for me.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    People seem to be under this mistaken impression that PWE brought Cryptic for anything other than the Cryptic Engine. Seriously, a modular MMO engine that just needs art, a story and a few programming changes to develop an MMO, easy money.

That being said, it's highly likely that the PWE buyout did save Champions Online, if not for the buyout then it's highly likely that Cryptic as well as it's games would have been closed down last year, and we have had more new features added to the game in the last year than we did under Atari's roof.

You may not consider it content but since PWE we have had -
    • A complete overhaul of the games itemisation allowing for character progression even at the level cap.
    • Questionite and the Questionite exchange.
    • Hideouts
    • Alerts
    • A complete overhaul of the lower level experience
    • and finally vehicles

And that's not including the Whiteout CS, now how many new systems (which do, believe it or not, take more time than missions to develop) did we get under Atari, cause the only thing I can recall is the ATs when CO went F2P.

And that bolded one, the one at the bottom of the list, that was listed as something that would be near impossible to do when Cryptic was still owned by Atari, we now not only have vehicles but we're getting vehicles which display the character on them soon.

Yes, some things that we, the consumers, dislike have come from PWE, (Lockboxes and Grab Bags for starters), but inevitably a lot of good has come from the buyout, both over here and in STO. Not least of which is the fact that we're still able to actually play a game we like enough to complain about when it doesn't meet our expectations.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    guess i'll just drop my sig here. Go check it out (Read it, it is good for forming an opinion)

Yeah, my opinion formed was that anyone who blogs about unverified rumors and tangentially related issues as to why STO lockboxes are teh evil isn't someone I'm necessarily gonna take too seriously.

Seriously, google 'gree kompu gacha' and 'Star Trek Online Denmark'.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't even know how/to which government agency to complain to about Cryptic's gambling boxes...

:confused:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, my opinion formed was that anyone who blogs about unverified rumors and tangentially related issues as to why STO lockboxes are teh evil isn't someone I'm necessarily gonna take too seriously.

Seriously, google 'gree kompu gacha' and 'Star Trek Online Denmark'.

Googled them,what I found was a post by an STO dev; and an article saying the japanese game GREE suffered profit loss since kompu Gacha was banned.
    I wouldn't even know how/to which government agency to complain to about Cryptic's gambling boxes...

:confused:

I think its because they see it as online gambling, which in the U.S., is strictly regulated, I didn't find anything while googling "Danish Gambling laws" though.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    Googled them,what I found was a post by an STO dev; and an article saying the japanese game GREE suffered profit loss since kompu Gacha was banned.

All I see is that Suricata emailed the Danish Justice Ministry about STO's lockboxes. Six months later and nothing's come of it.

And yes, Gree suffered profit loss since kompu gacha was banned. Note that gacha itself hasn't been banned. Like I said, the other companies fell in line with regulations and kept on chugging.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm not a fan of lockboxes, but I understand the basic premise that the game needs to generate revenue to continue. And as I would like the game to continue -- because I would find better things to do with my time than haunt the message boards of a third tier MMO if I no longer wanted to patronize it -- I will continue buying.

I don't believe that a collective effort to stop buying will force Cryptic to change what's being produced, I believe, even if such a boycott were a success, it will motivate PWE to follow in NCSoft's footsteps and shut CO down, so I will choose not to participate in such an effort. However, as insignificant as one customer may be, my possible patronage and community involvement in NWO will depend directly on how Cryptic and Perfect World handles this title, so I am throwing out a tiny sliver of a carrot to them.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The thing about lockboxes is they are not fundamentally different than collectible card packs. Lockboxes and card packs both have stuff "inside." Chances are you won't want most (or all) of what you get from a particular purchase, but there is a small chance you'll get something desirable. While that does pander to the gambler in people, it avoids the mechanic of spend-for-a-chance-but-odds-are-you'll-get-nothing of lotteries and raffles. One could argue that the least desirable things are worthless, but to a regulatory agency, a commodity is a commodity. If lockboxes get banned, it would create a precedent that could spill over into other areas, like cards. Remember that the primary reason to ban online lotteries is not for ethical reasons, it is because governments run their own lotteries and are limiting the competition. Game boxes and card packs don't compete in that arena.

As to kids spending thousands on keys... well, I would never have gotten away with that when I was young. I can understand that parents give kids access to credit cards for whatever reason, but doing so without promoting a sense of how to use them responsibly and also monitoring what the kids are using them for seems like a bad idea. Still, I can see regulatory agencies insisting on tighter restrictions with regard to determining the age of online customers before they clamp down on lock boxes.

As to the CO issue, we will see playable content when the developer perceives that it is necessary to boost sales, not before. A boycott could encourage that, but the chances of getting an online community to agree on anything are pretty slim, and the forums do not represent everyone playing/paying. I encourage folks to spend if it suits them, and boycott if that suits them, primarily because I prefer to ride the horse in the direction its already going.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have not spent a single dime on this game past my subscription fee since they introduced Grab Bags, and don't intend to. Actually, at this point, I'm seriously considering just ending my sub and quitting between the stagnation of the game, incredibly greedy business model and idiotic community.

So no, this is not my fault.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    ...at this point, I'm seriously considering just ending my sub and quitting...

Please let this happen. Create hundreds of more grab bags/lock boxes if you need to.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Please let this happen. Create hundreds of more grab bags/lock boxes if you need to.

Speaking of idiotic community.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Speaking of idiotic community.

Psst. You're supposed to be ignoring me. Your ego couldn't just let is go, looks like I was right. You won't be missed.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Psst. You're supposed to be ignoring me. Your ego couldn't just let is go, looks like I was right. You won't be missed.

I see you're still as ignorant as usual.

TIP: The ignore function on the forums still doesn't work, no matter how many times I cross my fingers and put your name into it.

• Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Adapt, roll with it or move on. These temper tantrums merely make you look foolish.

When the game stops being entertaining to me, I will walk away and take my wallet with me. I've done it before, I'll do it again, here and elsewhere. As such: If you find their actions to be damaging to your enjoyment of their game? Walk away.

I shall purchase what I wish to purchase for my own entertainment. Period. Full stop.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    good-good-let-the-rage-flow-through-you.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012

It hurts to admit others are right. I understand. To bad your in game Ego can't be as high as your real life Ego, nothing would stop you.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It hurts to admit others are right. I understand.

You would know all about this, for sure.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    You would know all about this, for sure.

Yes, admitting when you're wrong is the sign of growing up. Throwing temper tantrums on video game forums... not so much. But you would know all about throwing tantrums.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yes, admitting when you're wrong is the sign of growing up. Throwing temper tantrums on video game forums... not so much. But you would know all about throwing tantrums.

What you call growing up I call becoming conceited and ignorant. Which once again, you'd know plenty about.

• Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    While I respect everybody's position in this matter, I bought several keys over the takos and hover tank lockboxes. Actually, this is the first time they don't allow another primary source of these items(compared to grab bags) outside the zstore.

I had a bit of buyer's remorse but I said to myself, at least I am giving my primary source of entertainment some cash.:biggrin:

To my knowledge there has been two instances of Cryptic trying to sell content:

1) Vibora Bay. At the beginning was planned as a paid expansion but due to the uproar on the forums it was finally released as a free content.

2) Adventure Packs. It seems to me, that just few people bought them while the rest either got some of them from the devastator promotion or did not get them at all, until they were turned in a freebie for all players.

I think they resolved to not gate content for free players so I am not expecting a bit thing in the near future. According the last Q&A, they are following the scheme of small events/zones/alert. Would they take the risk to do something bigger? no answer to that :confused:
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm seriously considering just ending my sub and quitting...

373014_329709633755744_458859527_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    What you call growing up I call becoming conceited and ignorant. Which once again, you'd know plenty about.

All the positions you've taken and the way you treat people makes so much more sense now. Who hurt you? Did you not get hugged enough?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012

TIP: The ignore function on the forums still doesn't work, no matter how many times I cross my fingers and put your name into it.

TIP: It's possible to ignore what someone has posted, without requiring forum software to do it for you. That's what I usually do with your posts. And what I'm going to go back to doing - I just couldn't resist the low-hanging fruit this time.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's right.

Shut up about this vehicle update.

1: YOU ASKED FOR IT.
    2: YOU BUY THIS CRAP.
    3: YOU KEEP COMPLAINING, YET YOU KEEP BUYING.

1: Didn't.
    2: Don't.
    3: Since I don't buy, I can keep complaining right?

This actually seems backwards... the people paying in money are the ones getting ripped off, shouldn't they be encouraged to bark louder for their dollar?

I mean hell, I buy gas, does that mean I shouldn't demand more fuel efficient vehicles?

Keep in mind, I agree with your concept of "I don't buy until you make something worth paying for", even if I'm not sure it would even work. Subsidiaries is a complicated business.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    ...Yes, some things that we, the consumers, dislike have come from PWE, (Lockboxes and Grab Bags for starters), but inevitably a lot of good has come from the buyout, both over here and in STO. Not least of which is the fact that we're still able to actually play a game we like enough to complain about when it doesn't meet our expectations.

The only bullet you've listed that I agree with is the questionite exchange. It provides a way to get zen without you spending real currency.

The gear change is/was nothing more than another cash grab. We lost crafting (which admittedly needed a lot of help) and it was replaced with awful fusion system which requires an absurd amount of mods and luck to make top tier mods... unless you pay/gamble.

Hideouts were a waste of developer resources. They look great, but for the most part are lacking in function. An exception is the penthouse which can be used as a free teleport to MC.

Alerts have greatly cheapened CO as a whole. Before we had actual quests and stories. You know, reasons to do things? They may not have been top tier, but at least they gave some sense of purpose. Now there's no reason to do the quests in CO. Need xp? Smash alerts. Need globals or mods? Farm, or run grab/burst alerts. Mindless. Grind.

Overhaul doesn't necessarily mean better. I thought the lower level areas worked fine before and would much rather have had more higher level content made.

Vehicles, specifically their current combat forms, have no purpose in CO. Even the top tier vehicles with full rank 9 mods are worse than a decently built freeform. Even in the new carrier defense mission made for vehicles they are a liability, not a benefit. That people are paying to gimp themselves baffles me to no end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They don't reward the $500+ I spent on their mod system. I could have easily bought a LTS but as I play one toon that is a member of classic modern age tights wearing superteam, there's nothing gained for me. With my money they could have paid a content designer for a week's worth of work.. that's just my money I've actually spent. Not the potential money I WOULD spend if they gave me a quality product.

They won't let me buy the things I want directly and instead I am forced to "gamble" for them. LAME.

They won't let me buy the things my friends want directly for them without giving out my banking and financial information. LAME.

- -

If they want to be serious about gaining revenue then stop the gambling and bring back the ability to buy gametime and Zen via game-codes.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »
    They don't reward the $500+ I spent on their mod system. I could have easily bought a LTS but as I play one toon that is a member of classic modern age tights wearing superteam, there's nothing gained for me. With my money they could have paid a content designer for a week's worth of work.. that's just my money I've actually spent. Not the potential money I WOULD spend if they gave me a quality product.

How would you feel if I told you that every time you pay your landscaper, he doesn't use the money to get better tools to care for your lawn, and instead puts all the money into the cheese shop he runs on the side?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    How would you feel if I told you that every time you pay your landscaper, he doesn't use the money to get better tools to care for your lawn, and instead puts all the money into the cheese shop he runs on the side?

If my lawn looks as dead as the game then yeah.. I'd be pissed
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »
    They don't reward the $500+ I spent on their mod system. I could have easily bought a LTS but as I play one toon that is a member of classic modern age tights wearing superteam, there's nothing gained for me. With my money they could have paid a content designer for a week's worth of work.. that's just my money I've actually spent.

$500 bucks a week ($12.50/hour) wouldn't even pay half of MY salary...

These are content designers, not McDonalds employees...

:rolleyes:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    People seem to be under this mistaken impression that PWE brought Cryptic for anything other than the Cryptic Engine. Seriously, a modular MMO engine that just needs art, a story and a few programming changes to develop an MMO, easy money.

I'm wouldn't necessarily say that they're under that mistaken impression (although, I agree that some of them might be) but that they/we expect more from our games, particularly MMOs. And the problem with that scenario is that Cryptic SUCKS at story and content development. And they're not very good at fleshing out the stuff they do either (at least they haven't been in CO). They often just release stuff that's either buggy or somehow incomplete (or both) and doesn't fully live up to its potentially (Nemesis System, Hideouts, etc.). Then rather than work on it and try to improve on it and make it better. They just cut their losses and move on to the next half-baked idea (rinse and repeat), which this month is vehicles.

So all they really have at the end of the day is an engine. From what I've seen so far Cryptic seems to have some talented devs in certain areas of game development, particularly stuff that involves customization and special features and modular stuff that can be tacked on to an existing system. But when it comes to things like good writting, content development, quality control, and follow through they fail, which tells me that they likely don't have talented people that are particularly skilled in those areas (all of which I think are critical to delivering a quality MMO).

The idea of a company constantly regurgitating new half-baked games, with unfinished features they have no intention of supporting (Nemesis system, Hideouts and I'm sure in a couple of months Vehicles as well), while simultaneously negleting their old "finished" games does not encourage me to invest in their product. All that tells me is that they'll do a half-hearted job at baking a new game--some parts of which will likely be great (i.e. the visual customization, and maybe the combat)--but others incomplete and lacking somehow. Then they'll never give adequate support to it and move along to the next project. And when people (or more precisely a large portion of their playerbase) stop playing the game as a result they'll just cut their losses, declare it a failure, put it on life support, then move on to their next game and start funnelling money from all the people still supporting the old one to fund the new one.

And yes, Cryptic has done SEVERAL things for this game along the way, and I've defended them in discussions in other game boards when people pick Cryptic as an easy target for criticism because of that. The problem is that, like I said, many of those things are only half-baked and never see adequate support afterward. Many long standing issues remain years after the game's release (I think I still get Socrates email spam). And many of them are either things that the community never asked for, or things that they DID asked for, but not necessarily the way Cryptic decided to do it. Such as creating a whole new vehicle system with slottable powers that takes up an ENTIRE update when all people really wanted was a vehicle skin for a travel power.

People didn't ask Cryptic to do a whole system overhaul for the itemization or for them to get rid of crafting. We didn't even ask for the Spec system or changes to stats. And while I'm sure that was a big investment in Cryptic/PW's part for the game, I'm not sure exactly what if anything it fixed, and sometimes I feel it merely threw the power curve out of whack.

I'm also not sure PW exactly "saved" this game. Granted, it is entirely possible that the game would have closed down had they not being around, but I've never equated putting someone on "lifesupport" with "saving" them. There was a time around when PW came along when I confidently felt like like CO was #1 superhero around, bar none. And while I realize that this is merely a matter of personal preference I didn't just feel this way as a matter of opinion, but because I was confident that the other two superhero MMOs couldn't compete. CO wasn't just something that I personally prefered, it was just plain better overall.

Now fast forward almost two years, and in that time BOTH of the other superhero MMOs pass it by. Granted CoX still went down but there was a time when it had a stronger following than even CO. Now with CoX out of the picture it seems like DCUO is set up to become the #1 superhero MMO and all I can ask myself is "HOW THA HELL DID THAT HAPPEN? When did DCUO with its crap appearance customization become the #1 superhero MMO and CO became this thing that barely skids by when there was a time it was clearly the superior game?" This game shouldn't just be surviving, it should be thriving. But it isn't, because vehicles aren't real growth. They're just this month's tack on feature while they wait around to come up with the next.

PS: Sorry for the drawn out rant :tongue:
    lokikin wrote: »
    $500 bucks a week ($12.50/hour) wouldn't even pay half of MY salary...

These are content designers, not McDonalds employees...

:rolleyes:

Riiight.. thanks for your completely valid point. While I'm talking about the allocation of funds you make an argument for company wage allocation. By the way do you know the price of Tea in Thailand?

--

Why is it that the internet cannot have a debate that stays within the confines arguments presented.
This discussion has been closed.