test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online Demo!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Super News Network
We’re pleased to announce the launch of the free Champions Online demo!

Starting today, new players can create an account and play the beginning zone of Champions Online for as long as they want, completely free of charge.

The Champions Online demo offers unlimited playtime in the game’s first zone (Millennium City under alien attack), two character slots, and the ability to play up to level 15. Meet other Champions and help save Millennium City from a Qularr invasion.

Players who choose to continue playing past the first zone and level 15 cap by purchasing the full game will have their restrictions lifted and will gain immediate access to the rest of the Champions Online universe.

[url=]Join the fight[/url]!

Link to the news article.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    It's kind of Cryptic and a valued gift for the holidays.. A more refined preview should help the basic understanding .. :)

Happy Holidays.. bet u did not miss the snow shovel this weekend blizzard..

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/0bb369151146763d99d2c8c142e44bacb4e6a873.pjpg
    edited December 2009
    How will the demo interact with the referrals? IE, some one gets the demo, wants to try a bit more, and gets a referral from another user. Will that work?
    edited December 2009
    Huh. Max level 15, but only in the Qularr invasion, so you can never visit a powerhouse? Might as well set the level cap at 6. A level cap of 10 but access to the Desert Disaster/Canada Crisis zones seems like a better advertisement, as you'd get to try out more than one power and try out movement powers.
    edited December 2009
    this is awesome but....

doesn't this go against the whole point of the refferals?
    edited December 2009
    I was gonna say. Fantastic idea, devs, but might want to drop a Power House in the tutorial, or else end game access at the initial Crisises. Otherwise the key selling point (amazing character customization and choose whatever powers best fit your fancy!) thing gets no exposure.

Still, I say yey! MMOs should launch with demos, I've always said so. Good to see this one come up early.
    edited December 2009
    I believe that the referrals would let them play all the zones for a limited time instead of just the tutorial like the demo will do.
    edited December 2009
    I'm also curious about the interaction between referrals and this demo. Can any Devs swoop in to clarify?
    edited December 2009
    This is good and everything but.. why bother making the Level Cap 15 if they only have access to the first zone? You might as well make it 40, because it's very difficult to get past Level 5 from the first zone.
    edited December 2009
    You know what's gonna be funny, is watching to see how high level a player can get in the tutorial zone.

@RKBauer: There is already a player called Powerhouse Trainer that camps the Ironclad Defense public mission and has gotten to level 24 without leaving the tutorial zone. ;)
    edited December 2009
    A sincere thanks to Cryptic for handling this demo well, when I saw "unlimited until lvl 15" I was worried, but access to the tutorial zone is perfect!
    edited December 2009
    Stuck in the Qularr invasion, but able to get up to level 15? LOL.

This seems highly illogical to me. You can't even get to a Powerhouse to pick other powers, and aren't the highest mobs in the invasion level 5? I hope they are looking to let the Crisis zones be available, too, or else this kind of poor decision making speaks more volumes than any of the fun a player would have from the tutorial.
    edited December 2009
    Halorin wrote:

This seems highly illogical to me. You can't even get to a Powerhouse to pick other powers, and aren't the highest mobs in the invasion level 5? I hope they are looking to let the Crisis zones be available, too, or else this kind of poor decision making speaks more volumes than any of the fun a player would have from the tutorial.

When i saw "qular invasion" that was my exact same thought
    edited December 2009
    Boy did I call this, sort of. Hell I was close thats for sure. Read my post (second to last)
    edited December 2009
    Rabbiddog wrote:
    You know what's gonna be funny, is watching to see how high level a player can get in the tutorial zone.

@RKBauer: There is already a player called Powerhouse Trainer that camps the Ironclad Defense public mission and has gotten to level 24 without leaving the tutorial zone. ;)

No, what's going to be funny is the nerd rage that comes when someone gets to 15 in the tutorial, then gets reset to level 5 at the finish. I can't remember what part of the tutorial does this, but I noticed before that if you reach, say, level 6 before completing the tutorial, it resets you back to 5 somewhere between the open mission and crisis canada/desert.

Unless this has been changed recently, that could be very nasty for demo players moving to the real game.
    edited December 2009
    I hate to double post, but this screenshot on the demo page was hilarious:

http://www.champions-online.com/dyncontent/fightclub/uploads/co_screen_041609_18.jpg

I swear that looks like Talisman is helping Defender save Champions HQ from the Qularr . . .

It makes sense, actually. I wanted to go villain after Defender kept talking about shutting off those bloody beacons, too.
    edited December 2009
    I'm gonna have to agree that this thing won't really fly unless you give the free-trial folk access to tier 2 or 3 powers. All you're doing is saying "Hey, use this character for hours and notice NO CHANGE!"

One of the biggest selling points in the game is character customization, not only asthetically but also with in-game mechanics. Let the users experience this. Limiting their advancement in the demo to ZERO is you guys basically not showing off the best part of the game!

You want them to spend, what, 5 or so hours in the tutorial getting to level 15? Nobody wants to do that with starting powers. You see basically no character progression in the tutorial other than obtained items. Once again, not selling the game.

I think this unlimited free weekend thing is a step in the right direction, but let the players do what they want. Limiting their powers to their starting ones is on par with you guys telling them that they can only play with the butt-ugly yellow-and-blue super-dork default guy.

In less words, giving the free-demo people access to an energy builder and one power is as detrimental to the game as not allowing them to create their own costume. Nobody will be satisfied with an energy builder and one lame power!
    edited December 2009
    Agreed with offender.
    edited December 2009
    We definately need a Dev to chime in here. Maybe the demos tutorial is different from the full games? Doubtful, I know, but still possible.
    edited December 2009
    I love this idea, but extend it to the Crisis areas too. That's a relatively small amount of the game, and the crisis areas showcase what to expect in the rest. I think that just the Qulaar Invasion, neat as it is, won't ring up too many sales.
    edited December 2009
    Yea i got to level 8 by the iron clad thingy finally hoping to test a travel spell/power house but i couldn't the tutorial didn't even show me much of why i should buy the game >.<
    edited December 2009
    Got to agree with the others unless your planning some kind of over hall to the tutorial zone (adding a trainer and some higher lvl mobs) this is just not going to work the tutorial as it stands id to limiting to show of the game at its best.

So either over hall the tutorial or expand the demo to include one of the crisis zones.
    edited December 2009
    I am not sure if just the MC Crisis would be enough to really draw people into the game. But I would suggest the other two starting crisis (with no pvp zones of course) and lower the level gap (that way they cant become content with staying there) as some have pointed out here. This will give them a little more to play with. A couple new powers and the ability to visit a tailor might make them feel they have a enough investment in character to sub and continue with it.

Demo is a great idea. Thank you guys for making it happen. Hope to see our community here grow and grow.
    edited December 2009
    I'd say that this is probably the game's death rattle.
    edited December 2009
    Hello all,

I have to say two things:

1. A free demo that folks can play forever is great. It gives them plenty of time to get hooked and make friends.

2. Access to only the tutorial zone is about the worst demo they could give.

Seriously, it's a terrible demonstration of the game. In the tutorial you get two attack powers...that's it. Folks will only have two buttons to press with no real options. Sure, they can fiddle with character creator, and that's great, but as a demo to the game itself...bad, bad, bad. I can't possibly imagine getting to level 15 without ever visiting a Powerhouse. No travel power, no passives, no support powers, no superstats, no crafting...and no way to really experience anything about any of those things. If the goal is to get players to fall in love with the game, the tutorial is not the place to do that.

All that being said, if they add a Powerhouse for the tutorial and a basic crafting trainer (doesn't have to have many recipes), then it could be quite effective. Otherwise, I think it might actually drive new folks away from the game by giving them false impressions.

If they want folks to think the game is cool, then they have to give those folks some character progression, and as it stands, the tutorial area has none. I really hope they tweak this.

Kayn
    edited December 2009
    Halorin wrote:

Yea I fully agree. Is it me, or does it seem that they just don't think out their events? I have to wonder, do they even play the game? Who in their right mind (Mighty Pencil said he was goin to get to lv 40 in the tutorial) can get pass lv 6, let along lv 10-15 in the tutorial! Plus if they had access to desert/canada crisis, those trying out the demo can get to the powerhouse and try out different travel powers, talents, SS, and more importantly, get more than just the energy builder/'first attack. Again, another epic failure by CO? only time will tell.
    edited December 2009
    Kayn wrote:
    Hello all,

I have to say two things:

1. A free demo that folks can play forever is great. It gives them plenty of time to get hooked and make friends.

2. Access to only the tutorial zone is about the worst demo they could give.

Seriously, it's a terrible demonstration of the game. In the tutorial you get two attack powers...that's it. Folks will only have two buttons to press with no real options. Sure, they can fiddle with character creator, and that's great, but as a demo to the game itself...bad, bad, bad. I can't possibly imagine getting to level 15 without ever visiting a Powerhouse. No travel power, no passives, no support powers, no superstats, no crafting...and no way to really experience anything about any of those things. If the goal is to get players to fall in love with the game, the tutorial is not the place to do that.

All that being said, if they add a Powerhouse for the tutorial and a basic crafting trainer (doesn't have to have many recipes), then it could be quite effective. Otherwise, I think it might actually drive new folks away from the game by giving them false impressions.

If they want folks to think the game is cool, then they have to give those folks some character progression, and as it stands, the tutorial area has none. I really hope they tweak this.

Kayn

Fully agree, this could rebound on them and turn people away from this game :(
    edited December 2009
    I played the demo until... level 2, when I realised I couldn't get any more powers.

This was, without a doubt, the worst demo of a game I have ever played, and I actually kind of resent the hour or so I spent installing, messing around, and playing.

If you can level up but not get any new powers then it's basically pointless.

So, a demo of an MMORPG where you can't properly level up.

Yeesh. :rolleyes:
    edited December 2009
    poshniallo wrote:
    I played the demo until... level 2, when I realised I couldn't get any more powers.

This was, without a doubt, the worst demo of a game I have ever played, and I actually kind of resent the hour or so I spent installing, messing around, and playing.

Welcome to Champions Online!

Not well thought out ideas that are half-heartedly implemented!
    edited December 2009
    poshniallo wrote:

Annnnnnd... That's the exact review almost any one's going to have of this demo. LOL

Posh, the game itself really isn't that bad, it's just painfully linear. It's good for a month or two, but in all honesty you're probably better off waiting for this 'legendary' content update that's supposed to be coming "early 2010".
    edited December 2009
    WTF that demo is the worst #### i ever played. i looked forward to get the travel power until i found out that i could'nt.
    edited December 2009
    Pantagruel wrote:
    Huh. Max level 15, but only in the Qularr invasion, so you can never visit a powerhouse? Might as well set the level cap at 6. A level cap of 10 but access to the Desert Disaster/Canada Crisis zones seems like a better advertisement, as you'd get to try out more than one power and try out movement powers.

Yeah this.

Its nice to have the demo. I will certainly point it out to a number of friends, who might be interested in testing the game out.
    But just the Qularr invasion isn't really enough to get a good taste of the game at all. Adding one or both of the crisis encounters would be a MUCH better advertisement.
    edited December 2009
    Cryptic puts up a free demo and folks are complaining that you can't get out of the tutorial?! Do you folks actually understand what a demo is for? I've never played any demo that actually let you do the truly awesome things in any game.

Here are some examples:
    Age of Empires 2: You only get access to a few maps, no story mode, and only one civilization. Result, I played the demo for forever and did actually buy the game with expansions.

Diablo 2: You can only play as the barbarian, only have access to ACT 1 up to the first mini-boss. Result, I played the demo and bought the game and expansion.

Age of Empires 3: You only get access to one civilization, but is pretty unlimited. Result, not at all like any other AoE game so did not purchase.

Age of Mythology: You only get access to a few maps, no story mode, and only one or two civilizations. Result, broken mechanics in the game so I did not purchase.

Diakatana: You only get access to the first level. Result, I played and died repeatedly and figured out the first level had no save points, so I did not purchase the game.

Spore: You get a limited number of creature parts, but is unlimited in time and number of creatures you can create. Result, the creator was just too much fun so I never bought the game. Hell, my kids love the demo and I still haven't purchased the game.

These are only a few, but I hope the gist gets through to some folks. The demo is a good idea, but honestly if I had waited until now I still would have bought the game. Limiting it to the tutorial is a good thing, for the simple fact it does show case the very well, gives a real reason to purchase the game, and is just limiting enough you WANT to purchase a retail copy if for no other reason to get onto the actual game.

Putting a powerhouse in the tutorial just would not make sense, especially in continuity (it's happening right outside the Champions HG which the PH for MC is pretty far away). If you open too much of the game for the demo, you lower the desire to purchase the actual game for the truly cool stuff. You have to give a taste and create the desire in the demo.

II'll admit the tutorial is lacking in, and it might be a good idea to open up the crisis zones, but it needs to be that way to not overload a new player. Costume options aside, the game essentially gives you 15 classes and an option for a custom class that gives 225 (not including innate characteristics) possible combinations. for a starting character
    edited December 2009
    The point is that some of the most interesting features come in AFTER the tutorial. Your first travel power being one of them. This demo doesn't show off the best parts of the game. The demo may as well just be a standalone of the character creator since thats the only really good thing included.

IMO if they just extend the demo to include one of the crisis zones, then it'll be all good. It'll give potential players a better feeling for the game, access to the PH and a tailor, a taste for the travel powers, and more suits the level 15 cap.
    edited December 2009
    It's like offering a sample of your cupcakes to someone, and the sample is a picture of a cupcake with a little frosting rubbed on it.
    edited December 2009
    Okay... I will preface this with... I rarely leave the tutorial earlier then level 6, and frequently level 8 or 9 when making a character. That point made for both the fact that it can be done, and someone does do it. I do it incidentally so when I get to a crisis... I can 1) handle mobs more easily, and 2) get a nice quick boost of powers and stats.

Yes, powers and stats are very good, and while I think playing in the tutorial zone is fien and dandy, I will ad my vote to the extended version of a crisis zone... maybe make it that they get a message at the end of Enter the Strom or Radiation Domination of... If you'd like to go further, please get the full version... then getting a return to crisis button instead of the exit/dig your way out ones.

Crisis Zones don't let you fully explore Canada, Millenium City, nor The Southwest, but they let you peer through the fields to see glimpses of the tantalizing things on the outside.

Also, maybe cap the levels at 10 (You can upgrade to level 2 crafting at level 11, so denying the mid tier crafting stuff will help to make their mouths water)
    edited December 2009
    reconza wrote:
    Cryptic puts up a free demo and folks are complaining that you can't get out of the tutorial?! Do you folks actually understand what a demo is for? I've never played any demo that actually let you do the truly awesome things in any game.

But giving a demo of an MMO where you never get to see how the game advances or any mechanics outside of spamming 2 freakin' buttons is just...well...it's useless.

The players will never get a feel for the game. They might as well have released just a demo video and at the end it says "Huh? Well? You gonna buy this or not?"
    edited December 2009
    my only complaint would be this: Will the people on the Demo's be in the same server as the actual paying users? because if we have a bunch of freebe's in the tutorial, the servers will fill up... fast.... actually i'd be willing to bet that they'd always be full. I know that as one fills up another shard opens, causing another zone to open, but still. I think it would make things very difficult for people who want to do things like farm Ironclad to get to level 13 or 14 and then skip the crysis and go straight to MC. Not saying that's something I do a lot but i know of people who do and i'd rather not have them all trolling the forms saying "I CAN'T BE A CHINESE FARMER ANYMORE!! QQQQQQ"....so yeah :)
    edited December 2009
    Reconza,

All of the demos you listed have enough meat to them to give a potential buyer enough gameplay to make an informed decision. CO's demo shows nothing but formulaic MMO gameplay. All of the game's unique draws like character customization and travel powers are specifically absent from the demo, making it a poor marketing tool at best and a shining example to Cryptic's lack of focus and proper decision making skills.
    edited December 2009
    Ilazki wrote:
    No, what's going to be funny is the nerd rage that comes when someone gets to 15 in the tutorial, then gets reset to level 5 at the finish. I can't remember what part of the tutorial does this, but I noticed before that if you reach, say, level 6 before completing the tutorial, it resets you back to 5 somewhere between the open mission and crisis canada/desert.

Unless this has been changed recently, that could be very nasty for demo players moving to the real game.

Really? I've been playing since September, and most of my characters have been level 6 going into the crisis, but I have never seen any of them reset to level 5.
    edited December 2009
    Halorin wrote:
    Reconza,

All of the demos you listed have enough meat to them to give a potential buyer enough gameplay to make an informed decision. CO's demo shows nothing but formulaic MMO gameplay. All of the game's unique draws like character customization and travel powers are specifically absent from the demo, making it a poor marketing tool at best and a shining example to Cryptic's lack of focus and proper decision making skills.

This is how I feel about it. Basically the only cool feature you get is the character creator. Beyond that, if you've played an MMO before, the game ain't showing you anything different. A few missions and the open mission, and getting to fight alongside Defender.

I agree with an earlier poster who said to let them get in on the Canada/Desert (or maybe just one) Crisis zones, and cap them at level 10. I usually reach level 9 coming out of the Rakshasa fight, so keeping them bottled up in the Crisis at level 10 is spot on. And this gives them access to new powers and they'll be able to pick from other powersets, showing them how cool it is to have a sorcery archer or gadgeteering werewolf or whatever.

You're selling complete character customization; let the players experience that.

I don't doubt that Cryptic will see all our feedback and make some changes soon. But they'll have to pop in quick and let people know before too many people try the demo and get disappointed by the lack of character building.
    edited December 2009
    In general, sorry about that earlier post.

@Halorin - you are right, and I guess I didn't really think it too far through. And I am in agreement with at least getting to the crisis zones, I was just mostly getting po'd at the nonsense changes for the tutorial. No excuse for the tone of my post though.

Hopefully with the level cap being 15 you can get to the crisis zones, and it just wasn't mentioned (left out) in the initial post/advert. I'm going to create an account just for the demo, and take a look. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll have a little more detail or at least a confirmation that you're stuck in the tutorial.
    edited December 2009
    I have to agree with most that have posted so far. Free is good and all, but if it shows people a boring experience, it's not much worth doing.

This feels like executive decisions at most places I've worked, "Idea is great.....but implementation sucks...."
    edited December 2009
    Speaking as a subscriber with nothing to gain but popularity for this game, the free demo REALLY needs to include at least one post-tutorial crisis zone. Capping the demo at level 10 would be fine but there's NO WAY to get a feel for the actual meat of this game before you've gotten out of a Power House and seen what's ahead. Don't just let them smell the new-car smell in the showroom; let them test-drive it off the lot on the open road.
    edited December 2009
    The Tutorial is prety boring, I agree with Crisis with some CAPS (max lvl 10, max 1 Global, max Crafting Tier 1, Limited Mail, etc...)

Bad moving Cryptic, because the Tutorial its not representative, its far from the real game.
    edited December 2009
    You'd be surprised how much people will play something for free.

You basically get to use the character creator and choose the first two powers with unlimited access with this version of a demo.

With everything in the tutorial, not to shabby. Though, letting you get to level 15 without a way to gain powers would be a little aggravating :) Maybe they are counting on that...
    edited December 2009
    As someone who wanted to try the game, I'm happy that I'm getting this. Perhaps it doesn't represent the game well, but it's better than a limited time trial would be. I played one of the free weekends, had serious graphical glitches, and also not much time to play that weekend. I usually get problems like that with limited time trials.

When a trial isn't limited by time, at least I get to experience the game. If drivers are causing problems, I can wait for them to be fixed without losing access. If I don't have time, I can find time later. I don't feel pressured.

So maybe what people here have suggested is better, and maybe Cryptic will listen to them, but the demo is better than not having one, so I'm happy I'll get a chance to spend some more time with the game.
    edited December 2009
    Ilazki wrote:

There is no reset that I am aware of. I have leveled most of my characters to 10 on Ironclad before moving to the Crisis zones.

Now, if you elect to SKIP the tutorial (having done it at least once already), THEN it sets you to 5 and puts you in a special powerhouse to enter the crisis.

IMO there's no point to a level 15 cap in the tutorial zone, as has been said. The only way to reach it would be to grind the Ironclad mission and that would get old fast if there's nowhere else to go.

Letting folks get to the crisis zones and capping them at 10 there would probably work a lot better.

The desert Crisis already has an option to get back out of Gigaton's encounter without leaving the crisis; add one like that to Rakshasa's lair and I think you're good to go for a demo setup.
    edited December 2009
    You'd be surprised how much people will play something for free.

I'm sure a lot of people will try it out solely because it's free and unlimited. But it makes no sense to have what's offered for free to be an uninteresting retread of the past 5 years of MMO gaming that's without anything that makes CO special. You don't turn window shoppers into buyers by letting them sample more of the same.

It'd be like a restaurant advertising a free sample of a new steak dinner they're offering, but the sample is only of an appetizer that every other restaurant in town has. It's bass ackwards.
    edited December 2009
    I suppose I should be ready to have level 15 demoers trying to dual my new alts.
    edited December 2009
    Really? I've been playing since September, and most of my characters have been level 6 going into the crisis, but I have never seen any of them reset to level 5.
    Vasheera wrote:
    There is no reset that I am aware of. I have leveled most of my characters to 10 on Ironclad before moving to the Crisis zones.

Now, if you elect to SKIP the tutorial (having done it at least once already), THEN it sets you to 5 and puts you in a special powerhouse to enter the crisis.

This behaviour may have changed, then. I noticed it sometime in, I believe, October. I had been goofing off in the tutorial while waiting on a friend to finish making a character, got a bit of kill XP, and ended up level six before finishing the mission chain. Somewhere between doing the open mission (and turning that in) and finishing the tutorial, I got a message that my XP had been set to a static value and I was suddenly level 5 again.

This may have been modified so it only occurs if you're under level 5, revamped completely, or it could have just been a bug. I've only made one new character since then, and I forgot to see if it still applies. Maybe I'll make a generic-dude and test it again. If I do, I'll say something here.