test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher?

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Getting the "Trying to Update Launcher. Please be Patient" message for about 5 mintues, then the Client timing out.

Seems I'm not the only one?
    edited September 2009
    Zanshin-mu wrote:
    I had this problem just now, and found a fix.

On a whim, I did something which used to work for CoX.

I went into a windows command prompt then typed "ipconfig /flushdns" then return without the quotes.

Then tried again and it worked.

What this means is that they may have changed the ip for the account server or patcher server but windows still has the old ip for that hostname cached.

Hope this helps someone.

Strangely, I got it working earlier, played a bit, exited, tried to reenter and am getting the "trying to update the launcher" message again, tried your solution, and no love in the least. It doesn't work for me.
    edited September 2009
    servers are down. JUST finished installing the game, so could this be the reason?
    edited September 2009
    Got the same problem for about 20 min now.
    edited September 2009
    I hate the Launcher. I hope it gets in a car accident and dies under 2 and a half tons of burning metal.
    :mad:
    edited September 2009
    poena.dare wrote:
    Can't get in - yet the website says "SERVER UP". I beginning to think Cryptic is lying to me. :mad:

In most MMO's the log-in server and the gameplay server are not the same thing. It is very possible for the log[in server to be down but the gameplay server to be up. I assume the SERVER UP message is referring to gameplay.

Also, the forum site seems laggy to me as well as the timing out of the login patcher... Perhaps it's just an overloading issue

Remain calm. Last time I checked, FAILURE TO LOG IN TO A GAME was not one of the signs of the appocolypse.

:cool:
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
    octavarium wrote:

:(

Not fair, I just got the game and finished installing! Screw you Cryptic and Roper! I'm quitting this gaaammme!

:p

nah j/k, sucks though...my luck is usually bad, sorry everyone.
    edited September 2009
    servers are down. JUST finished installing the game, so could this be the reason?

If so, please do everyone else a favor and uninstall it.
    edited September 2009
    Sigh. I've had every variation of the problem mentioned so far. At least at first the launcher started and left me hanging at the patch screen but now all I have is the "Trying to update launcher" window. None of the fixes mentioned here work for me and bypassing the launcher only gets me a big fat talk to the hand from the account server.
    edited September 2009
    octavarium wrote:

Well that sucks. That's in 2 hours right?
    edited September 2009
    Update: Launcher works properly...but the login server is down.

Edit - Eh, nevermind, see post above.
    edited September 2009
    samr problem... "trying to update launcher" just sits there.
    edited September 2009
    Does this count as a response?

"
    Featured Post in Champions News September 3, 2009

The Champions Online Live Server is currently down for emergency maintenance. During this time you will not be able to play or to patch. The expected return time is 12:00 p.m. PDT. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
    "
    edited September 2009
    would be nice if we could get an explanation on this. was there an update?
    edited September 2009
    Zanshin-mu wrote:
    I had this problem just now, and found a fix.

On a whim, I did something which used to work for CoX.

I went into a windows command prompt then typed "ipconfig /flushdns" then return without the quotes.

Then tried again and it worked.

What this means is that they may have changed the ip for the account server or patcher server but windows still has the old ip for that hostname cached.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you! This worked for me!

ETA:

Meh.. Spoke too soon... can't connect to the login server now... <sigh>
    edited September 2009
    poena.dare wrote:
    Can't get in - yet the website says "SERVER UP". I beginning to think Cryptic is lying to me. :mad:

It was saying server up yesterday too when we all got booted and couldn't log in again.
    edited September 2009
    CptWarpass wrote:
    would be nice if we could get an explanation on this. was there an update?

Yes, there was an update on/around 7am this morning PST.

If you'd read my earlier posting, you would have seen that information.

Warbunny
    edited September 2009
    The "server up/down" indicator on this website is one of the most unreliable indicators to tell whether the server is actually up or down..

I got as far as fetching character list,which failed, now its back to trying to patch launcher.
    edited September 2009
    I'm in florida here is 4:25pm and this morning before I went to work, I try to logg in around 6:40am and It was stuck on the launcher. Just came back from work and is still the same problem. WTF???
    edited September 2009
    "Trying to update launcher. Please be patient" is all I'm getting on the "Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate" too. Only to have it conclude in a "Patcher error" window that says "The connection was idle for too long."

I thought I'd try the suggestion to bypass the launcher, as someone suggested, but since I bought my copy of the game through Steam, I had no other means to start up the game. So I downloaded the client from Champions Online and installed it, but that doesn't include any other .exe files than the "Champions Online.exe" and the "uninstall Champions Online.exe"

I then tried to reboot my router and flush the dns. No dice. Nothing has done any difference whatsoever.

I realise accidents do happen but what I'm missing here is some sort of acknowledgement of something being wrong. I mean, the main site notifies me that "Patcher Currently Down!" with no further explanation. Would it hurt to keep paying costumers in the loop and informed of what's going on?

It's not immediately clear to me that the launcher autoupdate is, in fact, a patcher. Is it? I mean, sure, when it goes idle it says "patcher error" but does that mean it's a patcher? I'm just not that tech-savvy, and wouldn't mind having it dumbed down for me just a little.

Not to mention, that I don't understand why I can't play the game just because the patcher is down. Couldn't they just enable me to log in without patching first?

Honestly, I would just like to know what's going on and if I can expect to be allowed to play this game ever again. It's very frustrating to be in the dark.

Cheers
    edited September 2009
    Same here... 6:30 AM, trying to update launcher and timing out. Noon, same thing. 4:30 PM, same thing. Getting REALLY OLD already, and still NO WORD from anyone about this problem.
    edited September 2009
    i've been getting the "trying to update" deal all day - one time i was able to log on for about five minutes before getting the boot.
    edited September 2009
    I find it entertaining now to run the game client directly then when it crashes input exactly what you were doing at the time on the error report, just like it asks.

watching TV, clicking buttons, not playing Champions...
    edited September 2009
    Hamsters on strike me thinks...
    edited September 2009
    Hi all, just bought the game today and installed it around noon my time (EST). After installing it, not able to do anything. Keep getting a "Trying to update Launcher" message and then it times out. I realize the servers must be down, but I've been trying on and off all day since noon my time.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if something weird is going on with my install or if it's server related (I know the server is showing as down, but I never even got to a point where I saw a Launcher. Just installed the game and boom: Dead end.)
    edited September 2009
    getting the same issue but i'm ok waiting a little longer all games have some bugs to start with
    edited September 2009
    Apparently the account servers are down as well since if I bypass the patcher by running GameClient.exe directly and use my login/password it just times out "Connecting to the account server"
    edited September 2009
    Just so I'm clear, I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to seek out some information :)
    edited September 2009
    Guys just be patient the reason its saying that is because the servers are down :( so you just have to be patient till there back up,simple as that :)
    edited September 2009
    Thanks lone. So the fact that I haven't even seen the Launcher yet isn't something I should be worried about? (I think I am a patient person. My first post was over 4 hours after I couldn't get in :)
    edited September 2009
    Yes, the servers are down, and they are working on them. I got the day off from work, so I'm thinking "Perfect, I can try CO most the day". Tried to log in before 10; server down. Tried just about every 30 mins since then, 5 hours now, server still down. So much for a day off with CO. :(
    edited September 2009
    yeah we better get some free days of play out of this.
    edited September 2009
    yeah we better get some free days of play out of this.

Some free days? Although it would certainly be a very nice gesture on their part, if they did give away some free days of playtime as a way to seek amends, they are by no means obligated to reimburse more playtime than we've actually lost in the first place. That's just silly.

I still think they could have handled this issue better in regards to informing us what the Hell is going on. Mind you, of course they don't have to tell us everything but some sort of superficial explanation of what has gone wrong would be considerate.
    edited September 2009
    Servers are up