test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

wtf is Star Trek Discovery and why did the trailer I just watch not make me enthusiastic about it?

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
It was mainly when the trailer started getting all slapstick and goofy and a bridge officer says "That's the power of math people!" and they high five. Is this meant to be a comedy? Should I watch this if I liked the old Star Trek shows ( tng, ds9, voyager ) and I think the newer movies were newfangled flimflam *grumblegrumble*?​​

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    It's the age when the **** hits the fan.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • alriialrii Posts: 63 Arc User
    if you liked the old stuff and were kinna miffed by the movies... yeah no, DIS is just... they can't make up their mind on their direction or well... anything >.> sadly.... it is considered canon >.< i think now they are trying to be "we can be funny like uh... orville that ppl keep saying is more trek like than us! we'll show 'em! we edgy! we-" *dragged off screen*

i... may or may not imagine wild three stooges shenanigans happening in every office everywhere >.>

p.s. - i no cares for either show; if DIS brings new blood interest to trek, cool; still don't have to like it :tongue:
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I liked it. Kinda captured the retro feel of the original series but with a more modern perspective. It was also great to explore the mirror universe a little more. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it. It wasn't goofy in-general, but it's not Star Trek without some goofiness....... opinions may vary.

Here's a trailer for it sans goofiness and slapstick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Yeah, TOS was always so deadly serious. Like that grim, forboding episode, "The Trouble With Tribbles"... or Scotty ever-so-seriously defeating one of the Kelvan invaders in "By Any Other Name"... or Spock being of course very literal when describing his task as "constructing a duotronic computer circuit utilizing stone knives and bearskins" in "The City On the Edge of Forever"... or - well, heck, we can go back to one of Dr. McCoy's earliest appearances, when the physical he's conducting on Kirk is interrupted by an alert signal flashing on the wall. As Kirk complains about not being told and runs out, McCoy shouts after him, "What am I, a doctor or a moon shuttle conductor?" Alone in the office, he continues more quietly, "Besides, if I started paying attention to every flashing light around here, I'd wind up talking to myself."

Yes, such a grimdark show, with never a single moment of levity, especially from a young midshipman like Tilly (the officer in question).

(Meanwhile, the first season of ST:D included such slapstick fall-down-laughing bits as discovering their captain was in fact a refugee from the Mirror Universe, who wanted to use the spore drive to get home because he knew it could happen; learning that in the Mirror Universe, Cadet Tilly was in fact commander of their version of Discovery, having ascended to the position by ruthlessly murdering anyone in her way; finding that the ship's former commander was the Empress, and watching as she used a razor-edged drone to decapitate her courtiers, seeing the ship's doctor sacrifice his own life so they could all escape - yeah, just a laugh a minute there.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, TOS was always so deadly serious. Like that grim, forboding episode, "The Trouble With Tribbles"... or Scotty ever-so-seriously defeating one of the Kelvan invaders in "By Any Other Name"... or Spock being of course very literal when describing his task as "constructing a duotronic computer circuit utilizing stone knives and bearskins" in "The City On the Edge of Forever"... or - well, heck, we can go back to one of Dr. McCoy's earliest appearances, when the physical he's conducting on Kirk is interrupted by an alert signal flashing on the wall. As Kirk complains about not being told and runs out, McCoy shouts after him, "What am I, a doctor or a moon shuttle conductor?" Alone in the office, he continues more quietly, "Besides, if I started paying attention to every flashing light around here, I'd wind up talking to myself."

Yes, such a grimdark show, with never a single moment of levity, especially from a young midshipman like Tilly (the officer in question).

(Meanwhile, the first season of ST:D included such slapstick fall-down-laughing bits as discovering their captain was in fact a refugee from the Mirror Universe, who wanted to use the spore drive to get home because he knew it could happen; learning that in the Mirror Universe, Cadet Tilly was in fact commander of their version of Discovery, having ascended to the position by ruthlessly murdering anyone in her way; finding that the ship's former commander was the Empress, and watching as she used a razor-edged drone to decapitate her courtiers, seeing the ship's doctor sacrifice his own life so they could all escape - yeah, just a laugh a minute there.)

Did the original series ever seem to you like the script was written by the writers from The Big Bang Theory? No? Didn't think so. The trailer did a really good job of making me think Sheldon might walk in at any moment and say bazinga.
    I'm not sure why you're acting as if I should know any of what happened in season one since I made it clear that all I watched was a trailer. Acting condescending because I don't know what happened in a series that I've only seen the trailer of is kinda dumb Jon. I get that you're probably a huge fan of it and that it hurt your feelings that I called it slapstick, but you can take that up with the goofy trailer.

Also I didn't like TOS, cause it was corny and contrived, that's why I didn't list it. Star Trek starts at TNG. And yeah, TNG had its moments of levity, but no garbage like someone saying "That's the power of math!". Data's moments with his cat were delightfully humorous, that moron saying "yay math!" was dumber than Kirk's fight with that lizard.​​
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I watched the first batch of episodes they released for it but didn't pick it up again after the mid season break and stopped paying for CBS all access because the app was terrible and barely worked on my preferred streaming devices. The show itself was pretty neat. I didn't like Star Trek as a kid... I thought TGN was horribly boring and I felt forced to watch it nearly twice a day because my older brother loved it and he was a tyrant with the remote control. It wasn't until I got older and became interested in cheesy and cheap sci-fi movies and tv that I gave TOS a try and I loved it... especially for the relationship dynamic between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

I like the new movies too... I think they recast those 3 really well but I do wish Bones had a more prominent role. Now after watching TOS I went and watched DS9, ENT, and most of VOY... and I liked them all alright. I think out of those I liked ENT the best but DS9 was also right up there...VOY was, well I haven't finished it yet. I still have not attempted to rewatch TNG.

(edit) ok so now that I went out and found that trailer spinny was talking about and watched it...it actually looks pretty cool to me and the whole "power of math" thing can be easily be forgiven if you knew the characters involved in that scene(she's kinda a dopey akward person and he is kinda insane last I checked.) but I understand how that could have played off as a bit baffling and irksome to people not familiar with those characters in the show.
    Post edited by beezeeze on

Okay, that explains this thread. Spinny talking out his assets again about a topic on which he has zero knowledge. As you were, gentlemen - and Spinny.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

But Jon tho… them spoilers. I forgive you because I am not likely to remember them...but c'mon man!

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I think it's understandable that someone can get the impression that the show has a comedic tone to it from watching season 2's trailer. I'm pretty surprised myself after seeing how it's far from being a light-hearted comedic show in season 1.

edited July 2018
    Okay, that explains this thread. Spinny talking out his assets again about a topic on which he has zero knowledge. As you were, gentlemen - and Spinny.

Yeah, zero knowledge because all I watched was a trailer and I literally said that in the OP. It's cool to see you acting like a salty fanboy tho, guess we finally found your button. Shtaaaaar Trek!

Anyways I'm glad I asked about it, from what you've told me this series sounds like garbage so I'll pass.​​
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    /thread
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yeah, zero knowledge because all I watched was a trailer and I literally said that in the OP. It's cool to see you acting like a salty fanboy tho, guess we finally found your button. Shtaaaaar Trek!

Anyways I'm glad I asked about it, from what you've told me this series sounds like garbage so I'll pass.​​
    It's good IMO. You should at least watch one ep.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Eh, I trust Jon to describe things accurately, so if his description makes me think I might not like something I consider it time saved.​​
    Yeah, that's right, Spinny, best stick to those oh-so-serious catgirl animes you're so very fond of. Being confronted by actual serious plotlines and meaningful moral choices might make your head explode.

edited July 2018
    Yeah, that's right, Spinny, best stick to those oh-so-serious catgirl animes you're so very fond of. Being confronted by actual serious plotlines and meaningful moral choices might make your head explode.

Oh no Jon, someone doesn't like something you like. Call the police!​​
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I think it's understandable that someone can get the impression that the show has a comedic tone to it from watching season 2's trailer

They're just trying to compete with The Orville. ;)
    I think it's understandable that someone can get the impression that the show has a comedic tone to it from watching season 2's trailer

Every time I look at Orville I wonder if it was designed and built by Cthulhu.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    From the side it looks like an elegant tadpole. From the back... a shark's mouth or (worse) a toilet seat. I think this was deliberate....
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited July 2018

The Orville's actually pretty damn funny at least to me :) Had a friend show me that this last semester...and I hate anything Star-trek/Star-wars(sue me :p) related. Seth Mcfarlen(sorry for misspelling :p) did pretty good in that, gotta say.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    amazon-alexa-star-trek-discovery-750x480.jpg

This is a Klingon in the TWOK/TNG/DS9/VOY era

latest?cb=20090212231042&path-prefix=en

This is a Klingon in TOS, which is before the TWOK/TNG/DS9/VOY Era

klingon-star-trek-discovery-from-trailer.jpg

This is a Klingon in Discovery, which is before TOS.

latest?cb=20180224041540&path-prefix=en

This is a Klingon in Enterprise, which is before Discovery

This is all canon.
    This is all canon.

Indeed it is. And the explanation makes sense, which is a rare thing
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    The Orville's actually pretty damn funny at least to me :) Had a friend show me that this last semester...and I hate anything Star-trek/Star-wars(sue me :p) related. Seth Mcfarlen(sorry for misspelling :p) did pretty good in that, gotta say.

The Orville manages to be an affectionate parody of TOS while being more Star Trek than the current series of Star Trek.

• therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Also I didn't like TOS, cause it was corny and contrived, that's why I didn't list it. Star Trek starts at TNG.​​
    I dunno - I think expectations come into play. TOS was the Star Trek I grew up with, and I was tremendously excited when TNG was announced. I was also tremendously disappointed when I realized I had to work the night it launched. But then I saw the next three or four episodes - and didn't watch another for three years. TOS may be corny due to age, but TNG seemed to strive for its own brand of corniness. The call-backy styrofoam rocks and technicolor planetary lighting, the "politically correct" male skants (because Gene needed his miniskirts, by gum), bridge-by-IKEA, a blatantly recycled TOS episode, and the whole "Thirty Something in Space but SERIOUS" vibe put me off altogether.

I eventually came around with the help of college buddies, pizza, and whiskey, and I don't regret giving it a second chance. Once the show got past its growing pains, I had to admit, it was pretty darn good. Still, with the exception of a few shining gems, TNG still rates only third of the non-ST:D series in my book.

As for ST:D, I haven't seen it yet. I wasn't impressed with the first season trailers, and I'm even less impressed with the latest. I'll watch it when it's free to watch, but not without some high-end whiskey.
    Frankly, if the Internet in its modern form had existed when TNG debuted, it probably wouldn't have made it past Season 1 - that alternated wildly between "pretty good" and "Spock's Brain levels of terrible". People would have talked each other out of giving it any more opportunities. But then we'd have been deprived of the two-part "Best of Both Worlds", the followup episode "Family", "Parallels" (one of my personal favorites - I'm a sucker for alt-u stories)... so many good stories.

(And yes, we'd also have been spared watching Dr. Crusher have sex with the family ghost, learning that only aliens listen to metal in Da Future, and finding that the Progenitors managed to create such a LEGO Genetics galaxy that not only are most sapient species interfertile (something not even true among hominids on our planet) but they can also encode a holographic projection in the DNA that requires multiple species to decode. As Heinlein observed in relation to Titus Andronicus, "Even the immortal Will had his off days.")

To be honest the only time I've ever watched Star-trek truly was the new movie with benadict cumberbach at a friend's house this last semester. Her dad put it on and I kinda half-way watched it/fell asleep at parts, but still watched it kinda :p. I also, for the first time, watched Spider-Man Homecoming that day too.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    Frankly, if the Internet in its modern form had existed when TNG debuted, it probably wouldn't have made it past Season 1 - that alternated wildly between "pretty good" and "Spock's Brain levels of terrible". People would have talked each other out of giving it any more opportunities. But then we'd have been deprived of the two-part "Best of Both Worlds", the followup episode "Family", "Parallels" (one of my personal favorites - I'm a sucker for alt-u stories)... so many good stories.

(And yes, we'd also have been spared watching Dr. Crusher have sex with the family ghost, learning that only aliens listen to metal in Da Future, and finding that the Progenitors managed to create such a LEGO Genetics galaxy that not only are most sapient species interfertile (something not even true among hominids on our planet) but they can also encode a holographic projection in the DNA that requires multiple species to decode. As Heinlein observed in relation to Titus Andronicus, "Even the immortal Will had his off days.")
    Yeah I really don't get why some people praise Orville for blatant copycatting. "It's just like Trek because it...."
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Because its Star Trek without the back story, the fan base, the people who think that a popular sci fi series has to fulfil their Mary Sue representation fantasies. All the fun, none of the clutter.
    The Orville is a parody that sometimes takes itself too seriously and that actually kind of works out in its own favor mostly.

Because its Star Trek without the back story, the fan base, the people who think that a popular sci fi series has to fulfil their Mary Sue representation fantasies. All the fun, none of the clutter.
    So, popcorn flick for the popcorn flick gods?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    To be honest the only time I've ever watched Star-trek truly was the new movie with benadict cumberbach at a friend's house this last semester. Her dad put it on and I kinda half-way watched it/fell asleep at parts, but still watched it kinda :p. I also, for the first time, watched Spider-Man Homecoming that day too.
    For anyone who watched "Star Trek: Into Darkness," I recommend watching the original series episode "Space Seed" and the original cast movie "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan." Much as I like Cumberbatch, the character he played was Khan in name only...

Side note - "Space Seed" contains references and character interactions that we'd consider "politically incorrect" today (to put it mildly). Try to remember that we've come a long way in the past 50 years, and that TOS was progressive for its time. Also, try not to be distracted by the day-glow primary color scheme...

Another side note - https://youtube.com/watch?v=bXIo4JGwmC4

Well, kind of. I think that people respond more to characters they've grown to like, and that they become endeared faster to characters who make them laugh. Spock wouldn't have been so liked without his deadpan, knowing, humour. The best bits of The Orville are like that too... Isaac and Bortus's capacity for straightfaced silliness is very enjoyable (probably more so than the "human" cast). "Discovery" struggles for that lightness of touch.

Well, I watch the orville because it has humor in it, and I don't generally care at all for anything scifi except I guess dead space and whatever my friends show me. To be fair I also, ironically, don't care for anything superhero-y like Marvel/DC.

42 40s, LTSer.
    Yeah I really don't get why some people praise Orville for blatant copycatting. "It's just like Trek because it...."
    It's really more "inspired by" - basically, it's TNG if that world were inhabited by modern humans rather than Roddenberry paragons. I enjoy it for what it is, without trying to make it more (or less) than that.

amazon-alexa-star-trek-discovery-750x480.jpg

This is a Klingon in the TWOK/TNG/DS9/VOY era

latest?cb=20090212231042&path-prefix=en

This is a Klingon in TOS, which is before the TWOK/TNG/DS9/VOY Era

klingon-star-trek-discovery-from-trailer.jpg

This is a Klingon in Discovery, which is before TOS.

latest?cb=20180224041540&path-prefix=en

This is a Klingon in Enterprise, which is before Discovery

This is all canon.

The Klingon make up not being consistent does not bother me at all... I have kinda wondered why they were all bald in DIS tho… like that of all things... they had hair... what happened to the hair?

edited July 2018
    It's really more "inspired by" - basically, it's TNG if that world were inhabited by modern humans rather than Roddenberry paragons. I enjoy it for what it is, without trying to make it more (or less) than that.
    Oh sorry, I didn't focus my rant properly. :/ I was talking about the people who try to claim Orville is more "Trek" than Discovery...

I mean, it's like they forgot there was an episode centered on Picard getting tortured by Cardassians.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Oh sorry, I didn't focus my rant properly. :/ I was talking about the people who try to claim Orville is more "Trek" than Discovery...

It is. But my measure of Star Trek-Ness is whether or not the cast could manage an episode featuring Tribbles and still be taken seriously afterwards. The VOY/ENT/DIS branch would struggle.
    The VOY crew lost the ability to be taken seriously in the first season, when they found themselves trapped inside an event horizon (that's the area around a black hole where the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light - it's called an "event horizon" because we outside the hole can never see any of the events beyond that point), and manage to escape by making a crack in the event horizon (which, as someone at TVTropes observed, is a bit like shooting at your car's gas tank in order to blow a hole in its 350-mile maximum range so you can go 500 miles without stopping).

I reiterate, they escaped by finding a crack in a mathematical abstraction. Tribbles could have only helped their cause. (And in fact, one of the better episodes involved a trip to the Klingon afterlife, which I think proves my point.)

ENT, on the other hand, managed to maintain what gravitas they had (which, let's be honest, was only so much to begin with) after things like the Vulcan "zombies" (being in the Delphic Expanse is really hard on Vulcan neurochemistry) and Klingons encoding secret messages in the blood cells of their agents (an episode that also featured a Klingon becoming injured by hiding from his Suliban pursuers in a wheat silo in Oklahoma - someone fired an energy weapon, and reasonably enough the dust exploded). As for DSC, their first season featured an experimental drive that functioned by torturing a sapient giant tardigrade into following an interstellar mycelial network, so I think they could have taken tribbles in stride.

It is. But my measure of Star Trek-Ness is whether or not the cast could manage an episode featuring Tribbles and still be taken seriously afterwards. The VOY/ENT/DIS branch would struggle.
    IMO the TOS cast failed that test. But I have no difficulty imagining 7 of 9 and B'Lanna taking turns talking about how annoying tribbles are.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Discovery is fine. The only real issue with it is suddenly Spock has a sister we never knew about. Other than that its not great but not bad. It's just Enterprise 2.0 only without Sam Beckett.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    nepht wrote: »
    It's just Enterprise 2.0 only without Sam Beckett.

Oh, so it's worse than I thought.​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    ENT, on the other hand, managed to maintain what gravitas they had (which, let's be honest, was only so much to begin with)
    I've got 3 words for you:

Temporal
    Cold
    War

- - -

In general, people shouldn't be looking to Star Trek for actual scientific accuracy or seriousness because the series has never really been about that. I've always just approached it for its entertainment value, light comedy, and (with the exception of Enterprise) likeable characters. Thankfully, Discovery (in my opinion) does a better job of providing such characters when compared to Enterprise, although it's certainly behind ToS, Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager in that department. Then again, I've only seen 10 episodes of Discovery so far, so take that as you may.

When I want something that does a better job at trying to be scientifically accurate, I watch Stargate.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    I liked girl spock, hillbilly engineer, and the guy from quantum leap in ENT. For me those 3 characters carried the show... just like Kirk/Spock/McCoy did for TOS.

...suddenly Spock has a sister we never knew about.
    Spock didn't tell his best friend in the entire galaxy that his father was the Ambassador from Vulcan until after Sarek had come aboard - and even then, not until said friend suggested Spock might want to take some leave to go visit his parents. Heck, he nearly died rather than explain pon farr to his doctor. Keeping his mouth shut about having an adopted Human sister who'd once been convicted of mutiny seems perfectly in character for him.

Spock didn't tell his best friend in the entire galaxy that his father was the Ambassador from Vulcan until after Sarek had come aboard - and even then, not until said friend suggested Spock might want to take some leave to go visit his parents. Heck, he nearly died rather than explain pon farr to his doctor. Keeping his mouth shut about having an adopted Human sister who'd once been convicted of mutiny seems perfectly in character for him.
    Then there's Sybok, who introduced himself as Spock's brother and who Spock would have been just as happy to shoot instead of talking to.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Still she comes out of nowhere. The actress that plays her does a good job and she is the best part of Discovery. Its by no means the worst Star Trek show in my opinion thats still Ds9 and I say Ds9 because its not bad there is just not much Star Trek'ing in it. Discovery is in my personal top 3 after TOS and Voyager.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    So I just finished watching the second half of Discovery's first season and rather enjoyed it. Looking forward to Season 2 in early 2019. :)
    Its by no means the worst Star Trek show in my opinion thats still Ds9
    You will be destroyed for this heresy. Enterprise, on the other hand, was a huge mistake.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    So I just finished watching the second half of Discovery's first season and rather enjoyed it. Looking forward to Season 2 in early 2019. :)
    Its by no means the worst Star Trek show in my opinion thats still Ds9
    You will be destroyed for this heresy. Enterprise, on the other hand, was a huge mistake.

Enterprise's later half got better. The Temporal Cold War (the start of the series) was a colossal dumpster fire that killed any starting momentum the show could have had.
    Yeah, once the temporal cold war was over, it was okay in terms of storytelling. Still, I had a hard time liking any of the characters, which is quite a feat for me because normally I'm not "that person" when it comes to disliking characters in shows.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Yeah, once the temporal cold war was over, it was okay in terms of storytelling. Still, I had a hard time liking any of the characters, which is quite a feat for me because normally I'm not "that person" when it comes to disliking characters in shows.

Nah, some of those characters were terrible. You're not wrong.
    Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker had a sort of (definitely deliberate) Kirk, Spock, McCoy vibe and I like that the most about ENT... also I like ds9 but nepht is kinda right because out of all the star trek shows ds9 has by far the least trekking going on.

edited August 2018
    tribbles

You sure do like bringing up tribbles o3o​​