Install Arc
Options

Telekinesis Changes Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    kaizerin said:

I would ask that you take a look over the revisions since this was initially announced before making statements like that.
    Initially we had intended for Ego Blade Breach and TK Assault to fill low damage but high utility. However, it was made clear that these were not entirely popular choices so we worked out a new T0 attack for ranged TK to use and bumped Ego Blade Breach damage back up to a little under what it's currently has on live. This was based on player feedback.

​​

Apologies— you're right that was a bit of blanket statement and probably way to harsh on my part. There are some awesome changes in the TK set that I truly appreciate and am thankful for. And in general I appreciate how much hard you work for us hard to please players. And I probably went a little overboard because my MC is a ranged TK build. So I've grown accustomed to the set over the years.

I'm just a little shocked over why DEX is being pushed so hard in a set that's focused on EGO. I mean look at MA and at how well everything in that set scales with DEX. Now, Imagine if someone came along and started changing the forms in the MA set to scale with EGO. It wouldn't make any sense -- at least not one that was visible to most players.

Is DEX an awful stat? No, it's a fantastic stat and it will work fine with TK. But EGO was a far better choice IMHO because of how well it integrated with everything including Telepathy. Do I think that TK is ruined. NO. Is it losing some of it's specialness due to unique form with diffrent from normal mechanics - IMHO Yes.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    That being said we have no intent on making any new forms scale with one of two stats, and the Telekinetic forms will not be changed to scale with Ego.
    If I may ask, why? In particular:

Two-Stat Forms:

1) Why won't any new forms scale with the higher of 2 stats? As someone who likes to make theme-based builds rather than going all-in on a single framework, this makes everything much harder and in many cases, impractical.

2) What's going to happen to existing two-stat Forms? (as in Concentration, Compassion, etc?) I'm legitimately worried, and I suspect others are as well.

Telekinesis and Ego: Does this mean we can expect Enrage and Aspect of the Bestial to eventually not scale with Strength?
    and I ask that players test out these changes and give feedback based on their experience with the new changes.
    My experience in playing around with both Telekinesis Forms:

1) Once a player reaches 40 and gets properly geared, Form of the Tempest seems easier to build stacks with than Mental Discipline. A focus on Dex (for both) means high crit chances, and FotT works with all powers instead of just those which apply mental states.

2) Chilled Form will build stacks with any of the TK ranged powers (as well as non-TK ranged powers) instead of just those which apply mental states. It also gives players a choice between Dex and Ego instead of just Dex.

Point being, if these forms are supposed to be more limited, they need to be better than they are. People are going to need a good reason to choose the more limited forms over the more practical ones.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    My feedback is that I think Dex is a very favorable choice as the scaling stat. While I might say something like "thematically int makes more sense!", the powergamer in me is 100% content with dex - I actually consider the devs making it Dex to be them throwing TK characters a bone. After all, Str and Ego's innate damage bonuses haven't really mattered for quite a while now.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    So Ego surge is now worthless for use outside of the power frame. That's around 70 of my characters that I'll need to recon. Not 70%, at least 70 characters. So again something's good and now we have to replace it with crap. I'd love it if, for once, we got a power buffed then nerfed down to mediocrity. This review doesn't make this powerset at all interesting and will screw over a large number of my characters. Maybe more then half.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    guyhumual wrote: »
    So Ego surge is now worthless for use outside of the power frame. That's around 70 of my characters that I'll need to recon. Not 70%, at least 70 characters. So again something's good and now we have to replace it with crap. I'd love it if, for once, we got a power buffed then nerfed down to mediocrity. This review doesn't make this powerset at all interesting and will screw over a large number of my characters. Maybe more then half.
    Why didn't people realize that Ego Surge Nimble Mind would get nerfed into oblivion? The AO was waving red flag from the start
    Come on people, litterly everyone and their mothers were using Ego Surge

Im glad I only have 7 character who are using them and I didn't got greedy to exploit the broken OPness
    Initially we had intended for Ego Blade Breach and TK Assault to fill low damage but high utility. However, it was made clear that these were not entirely popular choices so we worked out a new T0 attack for ranged TK to use and bumped Ego Blade Breach damage back up to a little under what it's currently has on live. This was based on player feedback.
    In TIER 2 power? I doubt it
    as someone said already, Tier 2 are where powers go to die
    That being said we have no intent on making any new forms scale with one of two stats, and the Telekinetic forms will not be changed to scale with Ego.
    Then Im NOT going to use it, Simply
    I'm not going to break my theme build stats because the form decided to deviate from the powerframe theme
    P.S. For ranged folks, expect Concentration to lose its either/or scaling down the road. I would guess it would become Int only.
    Says who? you?
    Do you realize how many ATs are using Concentration and have exlusive EGO or INT!? The Unique forms are only given to new ATs
    and do you realize that forms like Aspect of Infernal also scales with either EGO or INT but wasn't touched with infernal revamp
    Do you realize how many builds (both FFs and ATs) will break down if this unnecessary nerf will happen?

TL;DR stop saying that, Concetration serves as an All-use range toggle​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Why didn't people realize that Ego Surge Nimble Mind would get nerfed into oblivion? The AO was waving red flag from the start

Im glad I only have 7 character who are using them and I didn't got greedy to exploit the broken OPness
    In TIER 2 power? I doubt it
    as someone said already, Tier 2 is where powers go to die
    I'm not going to break my theme build stats because the form decided to deviate from the powerframe theme,
    I wanted to go full theme build but with this sudden DEX scaling I won't​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    avianos said:

I'm not going to break my theme build stats because the form decided to deviate from the powerframe theme,

I wanted to go full theme build but with this sudden DEX scaling I won't​​

Don't worry Avi, I don't think a design goal is to force people to use the in-set form. I'm sure they're perfectly fine with you choosing to use an out-of-set form, just like they're fine with you using out-of-set EUs, passives, and just mixing powers from different sets in general. After all, "theme build" doesn't mean staying in just one set s( ^ _ ~)=b
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Don't worry Avi, I don't think a design goal is to force people to use the in-set form. I'm sure they're perfectly fine with you choosing to use an out-of-set form, just like they're fine with you using out-of-set EUs, passives, and just mixing powers from different sets in general. After all, "theme build" doesn't mean staying in just one set s( ^ _ ~)=b
    I hope so, at least they went more forgiving by removing the requirment of the form to have 100% Ego Leech, cannot complain about that it was a very good move to use in set buff Ego Infusion instead

The thing is it makes me sad, because when when I do 100% powerframe theme build, i want to use everything the powerframe offers

I'm not mad, I'm dissapointed​​
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

I guess I finally get what the devs are going for here: TK blades will be the psychic version of MA. MA characters use Dex, plus Str for additional melee damage. The powerset's main stat (Dex) is not also a melee damage booster.

In a similar vein, a TK blade hero will use Dex, plus Ego for additional melee damage. The power's main stat (Dex) is not also a melee damage booster.

I'm not in the habit of quoting myself, but people focused on my musing P.S., rather than the bulk of my post.

Having the TK melee form scale with Dex parallels what is done with MA. The idea is to use Dex as PSS, with Ego as a SSS, like MA characters that have Dex PSS, with Str as a SSS.

Keeping Ego for form scaling would be similar to this: imagine if MA used Dex for melee damage bonus, instead of Str, and was also used for scaling on Focus. The Devs want to avoid that situation, which would have been the case if the new form scaled with Ego.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User

Why did you decrease the damage of Ego Blade Breach?

becasue they wanted to make ego blade annihilation a more viable option.. but instead of doing the smart thing and buffing EBA.. they nerfed EBB....

in other stupid things related.. they are giving us literal copies for chilled form and form of the tempest for the ego set... without even doing the most basic logical thing of making them scale off ego.. cuz you know EGO POWER SET
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    rileymarks1rileymarks1 Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Ok finally chiming in after testing the new ego weaponry set. I refuse to even bother calling it telekinesis since it has little to nothing to do at all with telekinesis. Let me say first off I technically make all my characters freeform AT's, regardless whether it makes them weaker than most freeforms. I usually only take powers from other frameworks when the one I am using offers no other choice. So I couldn't wait to try out the new powers which would allow me to create a more in depth ranged TK character. Having done this here is my humble views and opinions.

To begin with, what is the deal with the new glowy fx on my forehead triggered by Mental State? If I want a glowy effect on my head I would simply grab a head aura. Not to mention the actual name "Mental State" is misleading since it suggests that I am suffering from some negative effect like stress, fear, disorientation etc. I would prefer the aura effect to be optional like a 0 point advantage or something.

Telekinetic Reverberation....I can understand the practical logic behind having an energy unlock scale with recovery. Your EU is basically helping you "recover" lost energy. However, having Recovery as a SS is illogical on most toons unless you either A. have Endurance SS as well or B. use AOPM to help boost your Endurance score. Otherwise you technically end up never fully utilizing all the equilibrium your Recovery SS has bestowed. Fortunately for me I happen to use AOPM on a few toons simply so that I can have enough Endurance to SS Recovery to its fullest. But I know trying to make EU's unlock with Recovery is not going to go over well.

Mental Precision...I decided to try this ability out with Dexterity SS instead of Ego. In comparison to Chilled Form or Concentration this power is severely outclassed. Chilled Form and Concentration built up stacks much faster since I only had to use my powers. Mental Precision took much longer (keep in mind I pick powers and advantages I WANT to use, not ones I HAVE to use in order to make another power work) so I was constantly having to resort to my EB after a full maintain of Telekinetic Barrage or Telekinetic Assault to build up energy. And I have 250/258 energy so this was indeed very disappointing.

Telekinetic Barrage...Again with the ego weaponry effects, but this time with the added bonus of fireworks! Can't quite figure out why the fireworks......The damage on this is pretty good, but the dazzle advantage is underwhelming. I can't see spending 2 points to get a stun that lasts only 2.2 seconds.

Telekinetic Assault....Really hope the root is simply a bug. I actually like that the base damage has been increased versus the scaling. Not a fan of scaling damage since a lot of times I'm interrupted and so I don't get the full benefit. But I don't agree with having to spend 1 adv point for egomaniacal advantage just to help crit. After all Telekinetic Barrage does this all by itself without needing any points. And the damage done by TA isn't all THAT much more than TB to warrant making it a higher tier power either.

Telekinetic Eruption... I really like the new advantages you gave this power. It has a bit more utility other than simply being a keep away ability. And I LOVE that you removed that "shadow form" fx (one of the reasons I never took this) I always did think that looked dumb.

Telekinetic Wave....I would like to see this made into a knock down rather than a knock back. It's a great way to implement the new mental state on entering combat, except that it knocks everyone out of the combat zone making it an undesirable opener. A knockdown would still work within the theme I think and allow more flexibility for ranged players to apply the mental state.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    So. it seems like most of TK's powers are heavily factoring in the cost discount from Mental State and TK's passives? I understand balancing around this a bit, but I still think even with these factored in that the base energy costs of many of these attacks are a bit much:

TK Burst: 42-84 energy
    TK Maelstrom: 62-162 energy (ouch, that puts it on the cost level above even some Ultimates- including Mental Impact)
    TK Wave: 31-74 energy
    Lance Rain: 89-158 energy
    TK Eruption: 44-122 energy
    TKA: 23, then 23 energy per tick (46 per sec)
    TK Barrage: 29, then 23 energy per tick (46 per sec)
    etc.

Again, TK having higher base costs compared to other sets is fine, and its not an issue w/ all TK attacks, but the overall extent of it may be an issue.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    flowcyto wrote: »
    TK Maelstrom: 62-162 energy (ouch, that puts it on the cost level above even some Ultimates- including Mental Impact)
    e.
    Lance Rain: 89-158 energy
    This is so wrong in many ways and it doesn't even reflect the power's power, they are not Ultimates
    and on live using Lance Rain is already a pain because of the extreme cost

Which brings another thing in discussion, the powers' cost
    the cost is extremly unfair and once again, will kill synergies with other powerframes when combined​​
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    They don't have any special energy scaling.

There are still some powers in game (mostly area effects) that are using an old cost scaling formula that results in lower costing. Most powers were updated to the current one when it was changed many years back, but some were never updated. This includes a couple of the ones from TK, which have been updated this pass.

Mael is as pricey as it is as it has a huge area effect, has high base damage, grants ego leech and stuns. The Stun effect adds quite a bit to the base cost of a power.

If the power is to drop in cost, something would have to be removed or the base damage dropped.
    The amount of cost added for the application of Ego leech could also be re-considered, but it isn't adding too too much to the costs of powers to begin with.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    There are still some powers in game (mostly area effects) that are using an old cost scaling formula that results in lower costing. Most powers were updated to the current one when it was changed many years back, but some were never updated. This includes a couple of the ones from TK, which have been updated this pass.

Mael is as pricey as it is as it has a huge area effect, has high base damage, grants ego leech and stuns. The Stun effect adds quite a bit to the base cost of a power.
    TK Maestorm also has 10 Seconds Cooldown to balance and don't make it spammable

giving it an overprice energy cost is simply overkill, there is already a CD as a Barrier​​
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kaizerin said:

They don't have any special energy scaling.

If the power is to drop in cost, something would have to be removed or the base damage dropped.

The amount of cost added for the application of Ego leech could also be re-considered, but it isn't adding too too much to the costs of powers to begin with.​​

Okay, good to get some clarification. I guess much of it is down to AoEs w/ this correct formula, but perhaps you should consider if you are over-compensating a bit too much in the other direction overall with some effects? I can concede the point of TK's costs not being out of line w/ respect to your goals, but still object the extent its going to. Like, I understand giving TK Maelstrom all those energy penalties for its various properties, but there is a line where you pile on so many energy penalties that it harms the basic usability of the power, and at some point it stops being fun as a player working around that to any degree.

I know much of this is down to 'feel' and that's very subjective, and its not for me to dictate design, but I think its worth bringing the topic up w/ its relevance here at least.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    With MA, I can make a str/con/dex build using dex as my energy stat thanks to forms and EU working with dex. But if I was making an MA build, I would simply go str/con/rec Enrage build because it would be sturdier. In fact, I would go Enrage with Laser Swords too because it's just easier to deal with that stupid BS that Laser Swords and now Ego Blades are bringing. Bestial and Brick still have not ridiculous stat spread. I don't see why all other melee is being effectively nerfed.

At the very least, Ego Blade form should scale with ego.

Melee especially gets crapped on by bosses now a days. Missing a block is often a death sentence at base HP. Considering hinky stuff like getting hit with damage when you were never inside the wireframe some of the time or the server not realizing you actually did block, toons are being pushed into CON or die. Most people are going to choose having more HP.

These changes are pushing people into spending too much time on the least interesting part of the game: energy management. As I see it, if taking ego for ego blades isn't going to be a thing and I have to figure out some dumb BS to make sure I have energy in addition to decent dps and survival, I might as well be going Enrage. I've got better things to do than faffing about with these irritations and I suspect so do others.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    Energy penalties have set amounts that get incorporated into the costing formula.

There can be discussions if an effect is over costed (like adding knockback to a power adds a pretty steep cost). Or there can be discussions on what can be changed about the power to bring its cost down. Maybe maelstrom could lose some damage, maybe its stun could be conditional, maybe its area effect can be lowered, maybe an effect it has can be moved to an advantage. Stuff like that.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    There can be discussions if an effect is over costed (like adding knockback to a power adds a pretty steep cost). Or there can be discussions on what can be changed about the power to bring its cost down. Maybe maelstrom could lose some damage, maybe its stun could be conditional, maybe its area effect can be lowered, maybe an effect it has can be moved to an advantage. Stuff like that.

NO to ALL of those

and again, the power has a COOLDOWN, Why you don't adress it?​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • Options
    move the stun to an advantage; it isn't needed on the base power, especially since getting caught in one doesn't stun anyway - at best, it would stagger or disorient​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alright, well I'm not here to say what should be 'given up' on something like TK Maelstrom to make its energy more workable, since I'd like to see some of these costs go down a bit universally w/o really making concessions. But its nice to get some illumination into the balancing process for all of this. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree with the effective 'cost' of some effects, and leave it there. Regardless, thanks for the replies, Kaiz.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    avianos

Yes, it's my fault for playing the game for the last 6 years and taking only good powers. Rather then making other powers to compete we're getting a massive nerf. So now Ego Surge goes from most popular to only usable for telekinetic powers, which means basically never.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I try not to fudge costs as it isn't fair to other powers.

Re-costing an effect isn't something to be taken lightly either, as it will affect *every* power that uses it.
    I do agree maelstrom is a bit too high, but it's likely in this case something is going to have to give for that to be brought down.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kaizerin said:

Re-costing an effect isn't something to be taken lightly either, as it will affect *every* power that uses it.
    I do agree maelstrom is a bit too high, but it's likely in this case something is going to have to give for that to be brought down.​​

Yeah, I know what I'm asking for is more universal and more work, though w/ further powerset changes in the pipeline if we were to go down that route it'd still be better to do it sooner rather than later. Its why we'll prob just have to agree to disagree if you have a different vision- I ain't ur boss and I ain't here to pile on more work for you :p

I'd say that Maelstrom in particular has enough special advs, imo. So I prob wouldn't be making the adjustment via moving an innate property to another special adv (unless its bundled w/ an existing one). I guess the easiest is to nudge down its base dmg a bit, but ah.. this isn't my call and not really what I wanted. I'll trust your judgement on that, Kaiz.
  • Options
    criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Suggestion
    I suggest Disorient to be added to the Mental State effects.​​
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

Suggestion

I suggest Disorient to be added to the Mental State effects.​​

Might happen in a different pass, good suggestion though.
  • Options

I do agree maelstrom is a bit too high, but it's likely in this case something is going to have to give for that to be brought down.
    So does this mean power costs are dynamically calculated, based on factors like damage, charge time, secondary effects, etc, with little/no options to override? That's terrifyingly reminiscent of my days in NWN. One thing I learned from that is that running a set formula to calculate costs based on which effects are applied to something isn't always the best way to go. What matters more than anything else is whether or not the end product is worth the cost.

Either TK Maelstrom is trying to do too much (I really don't think it is) or perhaps "the formula" is weighting certain things too heavily and not discounting other things (like cooldowns) enough. The end result is a power which costs too much to be worth using for most people. I know I personally am never going to use it.

That said, the following point is an extremely good one:
    sterga wrote: »
    These changes are pushing people into spending too much time on the least interesting part of the game: energy management. As I see it, if taking ego for ego blades isn't going to be a thing and I have to figure out some dumb BS to make sure I have energy in addition to decent dps and survival, I might as well be going Enrage. I've got better things to do than faffing about with these irritations and I suspect so do others.
    Above anything else, our job as game designers is to ensure that what we make is fun for players to use. Balance, uniformity, personal design vision and direction...none of that even matters if the end result is something players don't want. AAA developers are lucky in a sense that they already have something of a captive audience, but any indie dev who tried to push grossly-unpopular designs on their playerbase would quickly find their revenue streams drying up (no one will buy a game with horrible reviews from a no-name indie dev) on the various app storefronts, or their games are downvoted into obscurity (which indirectly kills revenue stemming from ad impressions and/or performance-based sponsorships) on the various web game portals.

As far as CO is concerned, I feel like I'm caught up in the rising flood waters of overly-janky energy/buff/debuff management nonsense. Each time something gets changed, it's like I have to find higher ground to jump to if I want to continue enjoying my character without the unwanted micromanagement BS. My characters are so far from their original themes that I barely even recognize them anymore, and it's all in a desperate effort to try and dodge all the unnecessary, unfun micromanagement crap we've been getting lately.

I know, "complain complain complain," but it's because I care. I really want to see this revamp succeed, as well as this game.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    I'm not sure why TK Eruption had a CD slapped onto it... I mean I guess it kinda fits with my huge CD Reduction on my gear to make the mind break trio more spammable, but still though. I used that as my "get mobs off of me" power and it wont be doing as good a job at that if there are more than 5 enemies on me.
    Kaiserin, I have a question, with this revision will be a ranged telekinetic archetype added to the Z-Store/Patriot Event Store?​​
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options

I'm not sure why TK Eruption had a CD slapped onto it... I mean I guess it kinda fits with my huge CD Reduction on my gear to make the mind break trio more spammable, but still though. I used that as my "get mobs off of me" power and it wont be doing as good a job at that if there are more than 5 enemies on me.

Yeah, this was one of the things I found issue with.

It has been nerfed in a few ways...

I think the reason why it has a cooldown now is because of the stat bonus it grants.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Le Derp.

I did not read the known issues part of the latest patch notes :sweat:
    Post edited by theravenforce on
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I believe in previous PTS patch notes, Kai said that a few descriptions stated the power grants Mental State instead of Ego Leech and that it was a tooltip error that would be fixed.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kallethen said:

I believe in previous PTS patch notes, Kai said that a few descriptions stated the power grants Mental State instead of Ego Leech and that it was a tooltip error that would be fixed.​​

Oh well, that makes things a lot simpler. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • Options
    rileymarks1rileymarks1 Posts: 48 Arc User
    When this game first launched we only had 2 SS slots and powers scaled off of specific stats. This forced players to invest in a non SS in order to use certain powers effectively if they wanted to create an original FF character. The developers changed this to allow more powers to scale off of any primary SS and gave us 3 SS slots instead to better balance out power choices, energy management, survivability etc. This was a very welcome change to CO and truly opened up a whole new and interesting experience. And now it seems that a lot of the new "direction" the game is going in is about reverting back to the old system of forcing players to invest in extra non SS in order to create an effective character. Or having to redesign our character concepts and take powers we really don't want in order to work around this new system.

As was stated before, all this time, effort, and labor spent on redesigning a power is completely wasted if people are just going to skip it. Personally the way I see it if things like KB, stuns, and such affect the cost of a power so much then I really think those little "extras" should simply be purchasable via an advantage. I don't really care about any of those things myself, since on most cosmics and boss fights those little extras are rendered useless anyway (with the exception of the advantages that make them more susceptible to damage).

Knockback in general I think should always be purchased via an advantage with the exception of something like telekinetic eruption and force detonation. It prevents a lot of players from utilizing those powers except on bosses. I think repel, knock down, or knock ups are a much better choice if you feel you must tack on an innate advantage which ups the cost.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Tested Ego Blades with this build against Powerhouse Elderworms:

Power Selection
    • Kinetic Darts
    • Ego Weaponry R2 w/Stressed Out
    • Ego Form R3
    • Form of the Tempest (Toggle Form)
    • Ego Reverb
    • Conviction R3
    • ID Blade Dash
    • Ego Blade Anhil. R2, Egomanical, Mental Accuity
    • Tk Eruption Inner Peace, Enhanced Form
    • TK Shield R2, TK Reinforcement
    • Ego Surge Nimble Mind (Active Offense)
    • MOTM (Ultimate Active Defense)
    Stats & Specs: DEX/CON/REC, Gunslinger Inate, Wardicator, mod & spec for +70 EGO.

Feedback & Suggestions The Ego Blade changes are nice once you embrace the new meta. DEX/CON/REC(w/+70 EGO) gives the best results IMHO. Ego Weaponry is an awesome trash mob killer. I easily mowed down shielded Elderworms by spamming it.Ego Weaponry's ability to quickly build and maintain stacks of Stress is a welcome addition. Three perma stacks of 6% paranormal resistance debuff is nothing to sneeze at.

IMHO FOTT is a better toggle choice for Ego Blades than Mental Precision. As FOTT grants tons of energy and focus stacks without having to rely on building Stress.

Master of the Mind looks great! It appears the Aura Effect has been altered for use with EGO Blades. I like the how it looks actually. But MOTM doesn't really wow me as an active defense. It has a longer cool down then the other AD's and isn't really superior to them in any way. But it has great thematic visual FX, so it may appeal to some. But I think MOTM should provide a longer lasting buff than it does or have it's cool down lowered.

Ego Blades seems to have been refined to focus on Critical Strikes and Debuffing. Which gives more than satisfactory dps. The newly buffed Ego Form also makes for a tough melee DPS passive and is welcome against mobs like the Elder Worms.

I hope this feedback was productive and useful.

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    It's just kind f sad that to make the TK melee powers perform best requires going to a toggle outside the set. Making Mental Discipline a viable alternative to FotT should be a dev priority.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options

It's just kind f sad that to make the TK melee powers perform best requires going to a toggle outside the set. Making Mental Discipline a viable alternative to FotT should be a dev priority.

Ego Leech is a Mental State. Mental Discipline grants stacks of Focus based on applying Mental States, so you can use an in set form power.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Form of the Tempest
    • Grants a stack of Focus and significant energy for each critical hit
    - Versus -

Mental Discipline
    • Applies Focus when you administer a Mental State effect.
    IMHO building up stacks of focus based on critical is faster and more reliable than Stress stack building. Stress does build up fast. But the energy return and focus stack building of the crit based FOTT is just better. The devs may not agree with this however. And that's fine.

Suggestion:
    Personally, I think Mental Discipline needs to offer something else to make it competitive with FOTT. My suggestion is that Mental Disciple should grant a little Crit Severity as well as Focus stacks. That would make it an attractive choice for Ego Blade users w/o making it a Cherry Pick power for other sets. It also plays nicely with DEX/CRIT meta the devs seem to be going for with Ego Blades.
  • Options

Form of the Tempest
    • Grants a stack of Focus and significant energy for each critical hit
    - Versus -

Mental Discipline
    • Applies Focus when you administer a Mental State effect.
    IMHO building up stacks of focus based on critical is faster and more reliable than Stress stack building. Stress does build up fast. But the energy return and focus stack building of the crit based FOTT is just better. The devs may not agree with this however. And that's fine.

Suggestion:
    Personally, I think Mental Discipline needs to offer something else to make it competitive with FOTT. My suggestion is that Mental Disciple should grant Crit Severity as well as Crit chance. That would make it an attractive choice for Ego Blade users w/o making it a Cherry Pick power for other sets.
    River, Mental State covers the following effects:

Ego Leech, Stress, Dependency & Fear.

Ego Weaponry stacks Ego Leech like there's no tomorrow, so even without crit. Mental Discipline is better.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Melee tk has a good damage potential now, but breach is not really useful at all. The best dps rotation for tk blades is using just weaponry x3 > annihilation.

Ranged tk could use some improvements I think.

First the dps I was able to reach on dummies.
    Shard and Assault (and Strike) (rotation: Shard > Assault > Assault)

Lance and Strike (rotation: lance > strike > strike > strike)

Lance and Strike with the Night Warrior passive (rotation: lance > strike > strike > strike)

Lance, Strike and Assault (rotation: lance > strike > strike > strike > assault > assault)

So the overall dps on dummies doesn't look bad, but there are a few issues or at least things to consider.
    - dps depends more on -resistance effects than other sets. And while that works on dummies, it doesn't work as well on cosmics
    - the best damage I got out of assault is sticking it in the strike/lance rotation, but that doesn't really add anything and makes the stress duration refresh more fragile
    - lance damage depends greatly on the rupture, and that part is not affected by a DUC or the resistance penetration from NW
    - the rotations with tk lance depend on a fully charged lance, which can be difficult to pull off as a tank on the more difficult fights

All in all, if the rupture effect on TK Lance is made to work with resistance penetration effects from a DUC and NW, I think the rupture part of the set is at a good spot dps wise. Another option is to tag strike as a blast, so you can use preemptive strike.

The alternative damage powers, tk assault and blade breach seem to lake some proper synergies and fail to compete with the rupture parts of the set. To really use tk assault you need 3 single target powers, and even then the overall dps is lacking a bit. Besides refreshing leech and stress, I think shard should build 1 leech and 1 stress stack. And assault needs a bit higher damage overall.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • Options
    Ego Weaponry stacks Ego Leech like there's no tomorrow, so even without crit. Mental Discipline is better.
    The tooltip is a bit misleading. It also seems to stack/refresh when refreshing or consuming mental states, even though it doesn't seem to say that anywhere. In light of this, it's a bit better than I initially thought--these details are important.

Still, I'd say it's really only better than FotT if:
    • Your crit is too low to get critical hits reliably. (But it's dex-based though, so...)
    • You plan on making an off-the-printing-press Freeform AT. (No outside damage-dealing powers--how boring and unoriginal!)
    • You're okay with the weird/annoying (most likely bugged) interaction it has with the id blades aura, which causes you to have id blades stuck in your hand 100% of the time (even out of combat, just idling) if the aura is in one of the "always on" slots.
    ​​
  • Options
    n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Would it be viable to make the id-weapon dual wield a costume option instead of an aura?

I fail to see how adding a second weapon as an 'aura' is going to fix the attack animations.

Could somebody confirm that the Id-Weapon Aura animations are the same as the existing Id-Weapon power animations?
  • Options
    n8mcd wrote: »
    Could somebody confirm that the Id-Weapon Aura animations are the same as the existing Id-Weapon power animations?
    They're the same, but as I mentioned in my previous post, there's some weird issues with the TK blades form and the aura if you use it in an "always on" slot.​​
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    aiqa said:

Ranged tk could use some improvements I think.

Did you test an assault + shards + lance setup? I'm not seeing numbers for that. Start with Strike to build the debuff, then drop Strike and use shards to keep the debuff up.

These are the numbers I got when doing that:

• Options
  • Options

Again, why does TK reverb scale with Recovery instead of Ego?

Because that's how they programmed it.

Also because they're making all EUs scale off of energy stats so that energy stats become relevant again.
  • Options
    misantropomisantropo Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    About using Dex and the "new telekinesis form" that "forces" us to speciallize in melee or ranged, the issue is that, from the beggining, Telekinesis was designed to be an hybrid powerset, so, anyone that chooses that powerset should be effective in range and melee.
    The DEX scaling is not that bad, I have preffered to be EGO (I think this feets better ...) but the issue from the form is that you change all the powerset concept....
    guyhumual said:

avianos

Yes, it's my fault for playing the game for the last 6 years and taking only good powers. Rather then making other powers to compete we're getting a massive nerf. So now Ego Surge goes from most popular to only usable for telekinetic powers, which means basically never.

I think is better to empower other powers, but, seems that Nimble Mind is being a bit broken, cause, it requieres "nothing" and boost "everything", if you ateka look to others AO is easy to see that them got som limits, not the case of Ego Surge, you just need some cons to get a massive boost to an stat, crit chance, damage...
    For exapmple Lock'N'Load is a damage/crit booster that also improves your energy management, but its synergies are limited, not like ego surge that can synergize with everything easily (just need some CONs to be insanely powerful).

So I think, the intention here, is to balance, not the "ending power" of the AO, but to limit it, like the others are. So seems is better to lelvel down 1 power, than to tunne up 8.

move the stun to an advantage; it isn't needed on the base power, especially since getting caught in one doesn't stun anyway - at best, it would stagger or disorient​​

IMO I think that stun is a must for this power, is why you are choosing it, if not, there are others pbaoe (Telekinetik eruption for example...) that will be too similar, so, maybe if maelstroom is too expensive, how the formula is applied (the ego leech chance, cooldown, etc...) should be reviewed and modified until its cost is viable.

Post edited by misantropo on
This discussion has been closed.