test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make A New Alert- Something Needs to be Done About Pyramid Power

Please, please, please, please, please, -PLEASE- do something about the Burst alerts. Make a new Burst to stick in the rotation or edit the lottery that determines what specific alert comes up next. Because I'm -SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- sick of the bursts usually going 8 minutes of Rad Rumble, 52 minutes of Pyramid Power within an hour. And that's when the lottery is being kind.

Hardly anybody even queues for Pyramid Power anyways. I mean, there's only those two alerts for Bursts anyways too. All the other ones have AT LEAST three. So please, do something about Pyramid Power.

Everyone that has an opinion about Pyramid Power, please post here so people know that this isn't just another whiner thread.

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    You are absolutely right, the design of Pyramind of Power is really flawed compared to the variety Grabs and Smashes get

It's incredible time consuming for the amount of the same rewards you get

and fighting bosses with Lighting Reflexes (Dead man walking and Mr.Gemini) is a nightmare​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Bursts have crap rewards. I don't even bother getting the mods anymore. A level 40 toon should get r5 minimum. Even then, not sure if that would make anyone care about Bursts considering how easy it is to buy those on the AH. A chance at getting unique or r7 mods or even just higher ranking versions of the new mods might get people to queue.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Nemesis Burst, Mawhahaha.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    There's an argument for removing Bursts entirely. Pyramid Power wouldn't seem so bad (it's not really slower than a lot of Grab alerts) if it weren't for two things:
    • Rad Rumble exists and is really really easy and fast, so PP suffers by comparison.
    • The rewards from Bursts are so crappy that even Rad Rumble isn't worth doing.
    Easiest solution: delete the entire category of Bursts. Change Pyramid Power into a Grab, change Rad Rumble into a Smash (though keep the power-ups, or some variant on them).
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Better solution, delete Alerts altogether. Play the d*mn game.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    rtma said:

Nemesis Burst, Mawhahaha.

YES! I wanna do a 5-on-5 battle with a Nemesis team!

Not like Nemcon. sure, armies of mooks is fine, but the actual Nemesis minions, not those alien gladiator mooks. Also, I want to fight all of them at the same time. the most boring part of Nemcon is that you have 5 heroes fighting ONE Nemesis.... that's hardly what a master villain would do.

so what if it's hard? It's a boss fight, not a walk in the park.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Doing alerts is playing the game.

Easiest solution: delete the entire category of Bursts. Change Pyramid Power into a Grab, change Rad Rumble into a Smash (though keep the power-ups, or some variant on them).

Sensible solution: Delete smashes, and make rad rumbles take longer.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Deleting game's content is not really a good idea
    if anything, it's counterproductive (except if you want to follow the old devs, before Cryptic North, logic :^)

Pyramid of Power needs to be tuned down and make it take less time, again currently its a time waster, again have you fought Mr.Gemini and/or Dead Man Walking with an underleveled PUG team?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    How about this:

1) Delete Smash alerts. Poor quality/lazy content.

2) Add Pyramid Power to the Grab alert list.

3) Delete Radiation Rumble and the Burst alert category.

4) With Grabs being the only 5-man queue category left, add the Burst and Smash rewards to the Grab alert reward circle.

5) Adjust the currency rewards so that the current time-invested-vs-payout remains relatively unchanged.

6) Bump the Burst reward to be 1, maybe 2 Rank 5 mods at level 40.

7) Increase the frequency with which a player's Nemesis shows up. We spend time making them, so let's give them more game time.

8) Remove the cutscenes. They really don't add anything of value to the experience, especially if you're farm-running them.

9) Add new 5-man Alert maps from time to time. The same 5 or so are getting pretty stale at this point.
    avianos said:

Deleting game's content is not really a good idea​​

Usually no, but sometimes, for the sake of making the game look more professional, it's okay to remove low quality content. STO removed its randomized exploration missions awhile ago, and it really has been for the best.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).

Dumb solution by a raving alert nut. How else are we supposed to gain resources?

> @pwestolemyname said:

> Better solution, delete Alerts altogether. Play the d*mn game.

That's what I said, but the smashtards, now called grabtards, got all mad and started foaming at the mouth.

Play the game to Cryptic means to force us to play the same old missions for 3+ years.

Hey we agree on something!
    That's what I said, but the smashtards, now called grabtards, got all mad and started foaming at the mouth

But this
    Play the game to Cryptic means to force us to play the same old missions for 3+ years.
    I mean, play the same old missions a few times or play the same old Alerts 100s of times?

I actually agree that all the content is pretty stale these days. I haven't leveled a new one in many months. I just fiddle with my 40s.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    I agree without whoever said have an all-Nemesis smackdown. THAT would rock. 5 heroes vs 5 nemesis. By its very nature, it would be a different fight each time because you would almost always have different enemies.

You could add in fun aspects to it. Make one where you're fighting on a platform and if you get pushed off, you get eaten by lava alligators. Make another one "capture the flag: style. I mean, you could really come up with a few fun variations. This would be great.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Pyramid power is so boring. Do something we can all enjoy. An alert where we get to kick the utter s%$£ out of Foxiandfriends.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited June 2017
    nepht said:

Pyramid power is so boring. Do something we can all enjoy. An alert where we get to kick the utter s%$£ out of Foxiandfriends.

Already implemented (it's called B.A.S.H.), but getting everyone to queue for PvP may be challenging.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

We have, for the 21323343 time.

When they add new actual story content on a regular basis perhaps people will stop doing Alerts ad naseum.

Until then Alerts are here to stay, deal with it.
    aesica said:

How about this:

1) Delete Smash alerts. Poor quality/lazy content.

2) Add Pyramid Power to the Grab alert list.

3) Delete Radiation Rumble and the Burst alert category.

4) With Grabs being the only 5-man queue category left, add the Burst and Smash rewards to the Grab alert reward circle.

5) Adjust the currency rewards so that the current time-invested-vs-payout remains relatively unchanged.

6) Bump the Burst reward to be 1, maybe 2 Rank 5 mods at level 40.

7) Increase the frequency with which a player's Nemesis shows up. We spend time making them, so let's give them more game time.

8) Remove the cutscenes. They really don't add anything of value to the experience, especially if you're farm-running them.

9) Add new 5-man Alert maps from time to time. The same 5 or so are getting pretty stale at this point.

avianos said:

Deleting game's content is not really a good idea​​

Usually no, but sometimes, for the sake of making the game look more professional, it's okay to remove low quality content. STO removed its randomized exploration missions awhile ago, and it really has been for the best.
    If they can do 9) then sure. I just don't see them having the manpower or resources to do 9) on a regular basis anytime soon.
    edited June 2017
    darqaura2 said:

If they can do 9) then sure. I just don't see them having the manpower or resources to do 9) on a regular basis anytime soon.

I suspect the biggest timesinks involve creating the maps from scratch as well as creating the cutscenes, but I suspect most of CO's playerbase would be perfectly fine with existing maps getting copied and reused--especially without cutscenes all over the place. There's plenty of building interiors, caves, etc that could, theoretically, be copied, linked together, and sprinkled with enemy spawn points and a boss at the end.

The devs have already shown they can duplicate an existing zone to create a new one (q-warzone) so the question remains--how realistic is it, with whatever development tools they have, to apply the same technique to a new alert every few months or so? Especially if you consider that an alert map (or set of linked maps) is going to be much smaller than the entirety of the q-warzone.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited June 2017
    nepht said:

But I use stuns, knocks and one shot attacks, so this content would be instantly unpopular :)
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Simplest solution: require one less mob and reduce the boss to 60% of their Health. Or include a Radiation source that's constantly on (maybe blinking between locations) and you need to move to it periodically to recharge your Radioactive form; that fits the theme.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    aesica said:

darqaura2 said:

I suspect the biggest timesinks involve creating the maps from scratch as well as creating the cutscenes, but I suspect most of CO's playerbase would be perfectly fine with existing maps getting copied and reused--especially without cutscenes all over the place. There's plenty of building interiors, caves, etc that could, theoretically, be copied, linked together, and sprinkled with enemy spawn points and a boss at the end.

The devs have already shown they can duplicate an existing zone to create a new one (q-warzone) so the question remains--how realistic is it, with whatever development tools they have, to apply the same technique to a new alert every few months or so? Especially if you consider that an alert map (or set of linked maps) is going to be much smaller than the entirety of the q-warzone.
    The question is how long will it take them. (I have no idea how long Q zone actually took or how many resources working for how long). What I mean by regular basis is every two weeks or every four weeks at a minimum. I have a suspicion it would take them much longer than that based on how parts of CO were initially built.

Until they can get into that rhythm I would be opposed to them getting rid of any existing content. We need more not less content.
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

But I use stuns, knocks and one shot attacks, so this content would be instantly unpopular :)
    Or instantly enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. Add in whips and chains for the fetishy amongst us and you might get more takers. :p
  • layenelayene Posts: 63 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Oh no, that would require blocking. Way too overtuned, no five person team could ever complete that. Please stop making impossible to complete content and immediately nerf the foxiandfriends alert.
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    I would just love it if they simply adjusted the rotation rate and/or make another scenario to add to RR and PP. Nothing else would really need to be changed.
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

Shut up smarty pants :I
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited June 2017
    darqaura2 said:

Or instantly enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. Add in whips and chains for the fetishy amongst us and you might get more takers. :p

In other words, the horrors area of the QWZ? :D
    nepht said:

Shut up smarty pants :I

\o/ The bad guys win!
    spinnytop said:

\o/ The bad guys win!

Maybe I can trade you in for another sidekick one less obnoxious. Dunno someone less obnoxious like Damian Wayne or Snarf.

edited June 2017
    nepht said:

Maybe I can trade you in for another sidekick one less obnoxious. Dunno someone less obnoxious like Damian Wayne or Snarf.

Make Dazee your sidekick. Teach him how to not give &*$&s.
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

Make Dazee your sidekick. Teach him how to not give &*$&s.
    I can't counter that comeback. Too Stronk :I

What, you usually don't agree with me?

For some reason to some people around here it's such an amazing event when they agree with someone that they feel the need to point it out and celebrate it when it happens o3o

I like trainstopping :(

Combining the rewards from smash and grab sounds like a good idea. I'd be able to make money and help lowbies at the same time! Plus people leveling would make money. :)

I also like trainstopping. Personally I think combining the rewards is a terrible idea for exactly the reason you stated - it sends the level 40s right back into the grab alerts full time making it a complete bore for everyone else. All it already takes is one lvl 40 in a grab to basically bulldoze it while everyone else tries to keep up. I know I'd be in there ruining it as hard as I could for anyone who wants to feel like they contributed! :'D

Instead, how about we get rid of the obviously lame maps ( i.e. everything from Smash other than trainstopping ), make rad rumble a bit more robust, and then take all the maps we have left from all three alerts and combine them all into one big pool of maps. Then we make 2 queues - Grab and Smash. Both queues have access to ALL THE MAPS! \o/ However, the Smash versions will be buffed versions meant to challenge level 40s, while the Grab versions will be the same as they are now. Grab will continue to be an XP alert, Smash will continue to be a Resource alert, with rewards adjusted as needed to fit the new difficulty.

The third left over que slot can be made to randomly cycle between Nemcon and the various crisis missions, since they have queues now. That can be the Daily Q Que o3o
    spinnytop said:

What, you usually don't agree with me?

For some reason to some people around here it's such an amazing event when they agree with someone that they feel the need to point it out and celebrate it when it happens o3o

I like trainstopping :(

Combining the rewards from smash and grab sounds like a good idea. I'd be able to make money and help lowbies at the same time! Plus people leveling would make money. :)

I also like trainstopping. Personally I think combining the rewards is a terrible idea for exactly the reason you stated - it sends the level 40s right back into the grab alerts full time making it a complete bore for everyone else. All it already takes is one lvl 40 in a grab to basically bulldoze it while everyone else tries to keep up. I know I'd be in there ruining it as hard as I could for anyone who wants to feel like they contributed! :'D

Instead, how about we get rid of the obviously lame maps ( i.e. everything from Smash other than trainstopping ), make rad rumble a bit more robust, and then take all the maps we have left from all three alerts and combine them all into one big pool of maps. Then we make 2 queues - Grab and Smash. Both queues have access to ALL THE MAPS! \o/ However, the Smash versions will be buffed versions meant to challenge level 40s, while the Grab versions will be the same as they are now. Grab will continue to be an XP alert, Smash will continue to be a Resource alert, with rewards adjusted as needed to fit the new difficulty.

The third left over que slot can be made to randomly cycle between Nemcon and the various crisis missions, since they have queues now. That can be the Daily Q Que o3o
    Well no this is a pretty good idea. :)
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Getting rekt as a lowbie is, though!

And Frustrating.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    Yeah, pretty sure the lowbies who are chain-running those alerts appreciate having a level 40 steamroll through the content. I've even had people ask me if they could come along when I use a 40 to run one of my lowbies through grab alerts. I think the only people who might feel butthurt about supposedly not being able to contribute very much are the types who want to be doing the steamrolling themselves, but are losing out to someone better than them. Poor fragile egos. T____T

Anyway, another reason I'd prefer to see all the lame maps discarded, then all the good maps consolidated into a single queue that gives rewards from Smashes, Grabs, and Bursts in one is because if everyone is queuing for the same thing, it makes those late-night queues happen a lot faster. That's good for the game.

Also, making Smashes "buffed versions meant to challenge 40s" is an utterly terrible (but not at all surprising, given the source) idea. Believe it or not, new players need money as well, especially as they bungle their way through learning the dos and don'ts of their newly-acquired Freeform character slot.​​
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

All they have to do is lower the bosses' health and remove the pyramid energy thingy and the alert won't take as much time.

This would be the logical, intelligent solution. One of the biggest annoyances about Pyramid Power is that people won't do it because anything that takes more than 2 minutes is beyond many peoples' attention spans. Which leaves the queue sitting at 4 forever. :\

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Even though I made this topic, I'm fine leaving Pyramid Power as it is. The random power-ups that can go to the players or the NPC is a fun mechanic to me. Even when I get smacked down by a whole buffed up mob.

What I'm really tired of is putting my daily alerts on hold because no one queues for Pyramid Power, and then that alert comes into rotation like 32 times in a row.

If there's only going to be two Burst Alerts, then they should just alternate in turn. Or another alert should be added to mix up the random drawing of what alert comes into rotation.

The people that don't queue for this are just like the people that bail on alerts because they dived in before the rest of the group, got their asses kicked, lost a star, and considers the entire alert a fail.
    edited June 2017
    gradii wrote: »
    Hold it right there. No, no it was not. they could have actually given it some attention and made it worthwhile.
    How could it have been made worthwhile? Procedurally generated content (what those essentially were) is rarely every good because it follows a set formula. Over time, players who run that content enough will begin to notice the patterns that emerge from that formula, such as, "Oh boy another turn-in-the-commodities mission? Pass."

It's also borderline-impossible to have decent storytelling (arguably a big selling point for STO content) when you're essentially presenting the player with mad libs, "Hello Admiral, my name is [__alien leader name__] and I am from the planet [__alien leader's planet__]. My people, the {__alien's race__], have been [__under siege || attacked || enslaved || blackmailed || bullied in the lunchline__] by a hostile race known as the [__enemy alien race__] for [__days || weeks || months || years__] now. We don't know how much longer we can last, but maybe if you help us by [__destroying their ships || sabotaging their bases || collecting some supplies || beaming down to discuss negotations || letting my hatchlings feast upon your innards__], we might have a chance."

They sucked and had to go. ;)​​
    Damn, didn't get my edits in fast enough.

But yeah, they were so one-dimensional. You meet some randomized alien race, get assigned some objective from a set list, then never see nor hear from them again. No depth at all.​​
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    the ground maps, well some of them, were the good point. some of the stories were cool. Like one where Gorgans were trying to eat the random aliens's children and you had to stop them. granted the method you used to stop them was kinda boring, but still.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    aesica said:

How could it have been made worthwhile? Procedurally generated content (what those essentially were) is rarely every good because it follows a set formula.​​

Procedurally generated content rarely tells a good story, but that's not always the goal. For a simple beat-em-up type fight, randomized spawns (or randomized maps) are usually more fun than static spawns.
    edited June 2017
    aesica said:

Yeah, pretty sure the lowbies who are chain-running those alerts appreciate having a level 40 steamroll through the content.

Their reactions vary from "I hate you for making me feel irrelevant" and "this is okay" in my experience. I'm sure that if it was every single alert they would quickly drift to the former. After all, people log in to play the game, not watch it being played while they run to keep up. 40s feeling generous with their time could still que for the ezmode alert que.

I know that you dislike content that is balanced for your level, but some other people around here actually like it. Not all of us prefer to steamroll everything, and it's not at all inappropriate to have level appropriate content in a level-based game. Just look at other level-based games.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I always thought Pyramid of Power wouldn't be so horrible if you started on the inside and didn't have to fight the mobs on the outside.

Simplest solution: require one less mob and reduce the boss to 60% of their Health. Or include a Radiation source that's constantly on (maybe blinking between locations) and you need to move to it periodically to recharge your Radioactive form; that fits the theme.

I like that idea as well. It would make the fight more interesting

The rewards need to fit the level of the toon though, if I'm level 40 I'm not looking for rank 3 mods, heck anything below rank 5 is pretty useless as far as vehicle mods go, I'm not even thinking about using then until they're rank 6, and nobody wants to collect 25 rank 4 mods or 125 rank 3 mods.

Honestly the burst alert is more of a statement as to the current usefulness of the crafting system then anything else.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I think it's a reasonable assumption that the only reward anyone is interested from in Bursts is the Q for the Daily. As an altaholic, I just collect up the mods and upgrade them as they come along. Eh, another mini-game, but I like administration so I don't mind.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited June 2017
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Their reactions vary from "I hate you for making me feel irrelevant" and "this is okay" in my experience.
    In my experience, people are generally fine with it. I really don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about having a really strong person in their alerts. They do complain when the alert falls apart due to everyone being too weak, though.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    it's not at all inappropriate to have level appropriate content in a level-based game. Just look at other level-based games.
    Except alerts, including smashes, aren't level-based. They're meant to be levelless, scaling content for everyone. That's why everyone's level is adjusted to 30. To tune them for geared 40s is to shoot the bird to anyone who isn't 40 yet. By shutting everyone below 40 out of the "money alerts," how are they supposed to pay for even basic things, like respecs?​​
    edited June 2017
    aesica said:

In my experience, people are generally fine with it. I really don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about having a really strong person in their alerts

I have, both here on the forums throughout the years many times, and in game. It's a thing, even if you haven't steamrolled an alert hard enough to have it happen around you.
    aesica said:

Except alerts, including smashes, aren't level-based. They're meant to be levelless, scaling content for everyone.

And this is a thread talking about changing alerts, so it doesn't really matter what they are right now.
    aesica said:

To tune them for geared 40s is to shoot the bird to anyone who isn't 40 yet. By shutting everyone below 40 out of the "money alerts," how are they supposed to pay for even basic things, like respecs?​​

So add a small money reward to the leveling alert. Problem solved. Why couldn't you think of that?

Also, there's ways to get resources other than Smash alerts. Take a look around in the game world, you might find them ( hint: they're literally everywhere in every zone ).
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I quite like Pyramid Power. It's one of the few Alerts where the bosses can put up a fight (hello Baron Cimitiere) and that's fun. More of that sort of thing. If it feels dull in comparison to Rad Rumbles that's because it's really a Grab Alert with slightly fewer minions and a stronger boss. So it deserves to be in that rotation, with something else fast and daft going into the Burst set - a Foxbat rumble, perhaps, with his cartoon weapons and random radiation effects turning players and enemies into mini/giant teddy bears, toy soldiers, and the like with appropriate buffs/debuffs. More silly and random than about proper combat. Which is Rampages. Did I say "fix Rampages"? I hope I said that.