test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Valiance Online

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    jonsills said:

Well, yeah, if you used the Forum Enhancement program you'd see my title is "Filthy Casual"... :lol:​​

I would pay good money for that tag in game.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    jonsills said:

I have no clue what a Motaro is, but I know enough Greek mythology to recognize the half-man, half-bull Minotaur when I see him... :smile:​​

Motaro is a personal name and thus a proper noun.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    IMPORTANT SUPER HERO RELATED QUESTION! Is Pinkie Pie a Centaur?

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    nepht said:

No. To be a centaur she would need to sprout an extra torso between her current torso and her neck, and her head would have to morph into a human one. She could do it, but she hasn't, so no she isn't.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    nepht said:

GASP! What is that thing?!!

Looks like something my little sister would put on top of a pencil ...

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    edited September 2016
    spinnytop said:

No. To be a centaur she would need to sprout an extra torso between her current torso and her neck, and her head would have to morph into a human one. She could do it, but she hasn't, so no she isn't.

Well look at the big brain on Brad.

nepht said:

spinnytop said:

Well look at the big brain on Brad.

Yeah, Brad's got a huge brain....... ladies s( u w u )z
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    a1fighter wrote: »
    I will wait and see, because if this alpha is solid, we all will be salty and those clowning, will play it on the down low.
    The words are all in English, but in this order they don't seem to make any sense. I think my universal translator needs recalibrating.

if the alpha is ok, it'll be all good and those laughing at it, will shut up. or at least as close as i can translate.

wonder if i should tell him about the people who have lost the rose coloured glasses.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    nepht said:

jonsills said:

Well, yeah, if you used the Forum Enhancement program you'd see my title is "Filthy Casual"... :lol:​​

I would pay good money for that tag in game.

I want the tag "Elitist Monster".
    I'll stick to my forum one of Village Idiot. at least I'll admit it​​

edited October 2016
    "The Earth Savers" is quite possibly the most pretentious and worst super team name ever and I've been/are in a few SGs with pretentious names :D
    nepht wrote: »
    "The Earth Savers" is quite possibly the most pretentious and worst super team name ever and I've been/are in a few SGs with pretentious names :D

But have you ever played a game with someone who called his character Magnus the Pretentious.​​

chaelk said:

But have you ever played a game with someone who called his character Magnus the Pretentious.​​

I would vote for such a person.

• violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    catstarsto wrote: »

GASP! What is that thing?!!

Looks like something my little sister would put on top of a pencil ...

You did not have any internet access since 2010? That was probably very tough.​​
    edited October 2016
    Yes, now it is happening. Right now. If right now is 2018.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I see a spreadsheet and some promises. Reminds me of when I worked for an insurance brokerage.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited October 2016

You did not have any internet access since 2010? That was probably very tough.​​

To be honest. I wish I was that guy/gal. They dont know what Pinkie Pie is. Thats a legit life enhancement.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    nepht said:

To be honest. I wish I was that guy/gal. They dont know what Pinkie Pie is. Thats a legit life enhancement.
    Oh excuse me, I must be in the wrong thread.
    https://youtu.be/evPWElZuEWM

:P

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.
    nepht wrote: »
    But have you ever played a game with someone who called his character Magnus the Pretentious.

I would vote for such a person.

He got our group, but especially himself BANNED from 3 kingdoms. Two had kill on sight orders for him. Had something to do with trying to chat up the royal females and having a severe case of foot in mouth. Like saying to the King " Well, she obviously thinks I'm better."​​

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Hrmm I am still amused that people still get impressed over words on a document and obvious set up videos, and who have obviously never downloaded the actual game they can download right now and see none of that is actually there.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    @a1fighter, I can tell you they've been saying their next phase is Steam now for years. They were on Steam Greenlight a few years ago and been saying they would be released soon. All that stuff they show off in their videos is boulderdash because why not insert it into the game? Because it's all just a mock up and nothing more and putting words in a spreadsheet is not impressive. I can write down make believe features of a video game and say all spectacular things but that doesn't make it true. These games, Valiance and City of Titans, are going to cause a lot of harm as far as the super hero genre space is concerned,a nd considering Valiance just looks like it is going to be as deep as CoH as far as physical game play (IE not deep at all) it's not going to attract many to begin with which is not good for the genre.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    Having reasonably low expectations != Hate.

This isn't a development team with the financial backing of a publisher. Their kickstarter failed because donations didn't meet even half of their target (hardly a good sign). As of now the current total donations is barely more than what it was when the kickstarter was closed.

The fact that they don't have the financial backing of a publisher raises concerns with me regarding the game's longevity if it does eventually get released to the Steam store, because its a MMO. MMO games require huge servers to be run and maintained 24/7 and I don't expect that the server rental costs for MMOs to be anywhere near affordable compared to a dedicated 16-player server for example. If the game is using a F2P model and there's no assurance that enough people will pay to help bring in profits or at least cover the server costs then that's just something else to be worried about.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    You want me to make a commitment to play a game still in development that I know so little about, other than an alpha-state gameplay video that far from represents what the final product is going to look like?

Until I see much more and better things in development to make a more informed decision, no thank you.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

I want to say one thing. I consider myself a realest, and will eat crow if this game turns out to bomb as in negative Steam reviews, not making it to Steam this year, or shutting down before it releases. I am willing to do this, if you all are willing to admit you play if, and when it is released. We are a MMO family, and should be able to keep it real with one another, being fans of the genre.

I am doing this because there is a lot of hate, and i think it is all smoke and mirrors. the folks whom bash it will be waiting at Steam until it drops. I truly know this due to the anonymity of the internet, so lets all put our money where our mouth is. I am willing to eat crow. I have no problem being wrong.

Anyone willing? If it is as bad as you say, this should be an easy one guys.

No one here is hating. What they are saying is that VO is setting up ridiculous expectations. Which is true.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited October 2016

You want me to make a commitment to play a game still in development that I know so little about, other than an alpha-state gameplay video that far from represents what the final product is going to look like?

Until I see much more and better things in development to make a more informed decision, no thank you.

Pretty much this. Based on the absolute #$%^show they have right now, no I won't play. I wouldn't even ask my 6 year old who plays silly mobile browser games to go anywhere near VO right now.

Call me when they actually have a baseline of a playable game.

Waaaay too earlier for them to be on Steam in my opinion.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

One question, will you play? I strongly think you will, but we will never know. I just want those criticizing to come forth and admit they play when it drops.

If I wind up playing I'll admit it. I won't commit to playing, though, even in the event it comes out.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Nope. I wont.
    I did try it. And it's now where near as an 'Buy' option in Steam...this year.
    But, THIS is what i'll be buying.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    a1, available data thus far fit the profile of "vaporware". When there is some indication that this is ever going to be more than a few demonstration videos and a spreadsheet, I'll consider the possibility of it actually becoming a real game one day. Should a game ever come out, I'll consider playing it, because I can hardly effectively critique something I haven't even tried.

But until some for-real development takes place, I'm going to hold my opinion that this certainly looks and smells like vaporware. That's not "hate" - that's "realism".​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I use the same name in just about all the games I play, so you'll probably know if I play it. Why would someone be ashamed of it and have to "commit to admitting" it?

I love comics (especially Captain Centaurand His Stable of Fine-**** Mares, #1 selling comic book worldwide, really set the stage for all superhero comics), and I love video games, so duh of course I'm gonna try it.

But at the same time I'll totally hedge and predict that I won't end up playing it, because it reminds me, both visually by way of animations and technically by way of the slow-looking combat, of CoH, and that's a game I didn't really like very much at all. I don't care if my Centaur can ride a human as his travel power, a print game with lots of options and lots of content is still boring.

I'll even go out in a limb and say that if Champions were to shut down, there'd be a higher probability of me moving onto DCUO than Valiance, because the gameplay there is not so slow and boring-looking that you might as well be playing a turn-based game.

So yeah unless there are some real big changes in store, chances are you wont see me there.

Oh, I don't know if it's been covered here, but will character names be unique to the server or player? Because if I can't make a character called Biff because someone got there a few minutes ahead of me and he's a big fan of Back to the Future, it'll throw a damper on that whole thing.

Also, even if I do end up playing it and it's so amazing and it's the best game in the world, I will continue to clown on it for thinking centaurs are a good fit for a superhero game. Imagine all the actual superhero animations and costume textures and powers and everything else actually superhero-related they could be working in instead of wasting their time on centaurs. I say thee neigh.

biffsig.jpg
    I say thee neigh.
    And there's the catchphrase for your Thor-clone centaur, Sleipnir.​​

edited October 2016
    jonsills said:

And there's the catchphrase for your Thor-clone centaur, Sleipnir.​​

Thor O. Bred, Stallion of Asgard.

Blücher!
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

I just don't understand the bashing, if anything VO is our hope in the superhero universe.

If that's the case, we're probably doomed.
    a1fighter said:

Everything we want is in VO.

Assertion not backed by evidence.
    edited October 2016
    a1fighter said:

I just don't understand the bashing, if anything VO is our hope in the superhero universe.

I think you need to look up the definition of hope, because of all the things, Valiance is not it since there is absolutely nothing but spreadsheets and promises. It's just another bad guy beat em up simulator, with no substance that makes a super hero a super hero. This does not even remotely scratch the surface of what makes a super hero game, as we've tread that role multiple times now in various MMOs (CoH, CoV, DCUO, Champions and Marvel Heroes and not one has done much outside of that).
    a1fighter said:

Folks were pretty hard on it. I will backtrack some comments throughout this thread to prove my point. lets face it, DCUO is dated and the CO folks do not give a damn. These new archetypes are an indication that they are milking the game and have no intentions of doing something that will cost resources.

DCUO is limited

CO is in milking mode.

Now that's just a bunch of babbling bullshit and made up facts if I ever heard any. DCUO being dated is hardly a point to make since multiple MMOs far older than DCUo are still going. Take WoW for example. Being dated is not an issue. Secondly, that is just one bold faced lie to make believe that they are just milking Champions. It's obvious you haven't bothered to log in at all. And even though I am taking a break right now, it isn't because I feel they are milking Champions. They've added quite a bit and if you are going to lie, make sure you aren't lying about stuff that can easily prove you wrong.

Furthermore, there is absolutely NOTHING in Valiance that proves you that it has anything in it that will make it a super hero experience. That's just the biggest bold faced lie out of them all. Writing stuff on paper is not proof of something going to happen.
    a1fighter said:

When it is all said and done, VO will be the best superhero mmo. DCUO, at least sees the light and the error of their ways. DCUO is suddenly interested in our feedback and actually providing players with what they want. At the same time, VO threads are forbidden in the off topic section.

CO? I don't think they care, if CO is shutdown, so be it. However CO will never shutdown imo, they will continue to spend very little, while charging high.

No it won't. CoH wasn't even the best super hero game on the market, hence it closed down. And I know the conspiracy theories will continue until the heat death of the universe, but the reality is, what closed CoH down was Paragon and their reach extended beyond their grasp. The direction they were taking CoH was also further from, hence COH was constantly hemorrhaging subscriptions and players, hence why they were pushing to merge servers. The game failed to launch in the Asian market, and numbers were in freefall. Freedom was the last chance to turn that around and the numbers were still in freefall. Trying to claim Valiance will be the best option is laughable, when they have been promising big now for the past few years and their pre-alpha has progressively gotten worse.

The funny part about feedback is you got hundreds of other people providing their own feedback so as developers they have to choose a middle ground. And your bold faced lie and asinine choice of words to claim that CO doesn't care, despite the fact they keep this game open when other companies would have closed it down it demonstrates how much you are fanboing over vaporware. You want so desperately for that pile of crap to go somewhere you will say, do or believe anything despite all evidence calling you a liar.
    a1fighter said:

CO WILL NEVER EVER IMPROVE; which is why I am on the VO bandwagon, I see the big picture here. Been playing MMOs for awhile now and I know all the tricks of the trade, I sense what these devs are doing.

Again, you are easily proven wrong, and its obvious you haven't bothered to log in once, read patch notes, or bother to check up on anything. You are lying to yourself, and you created some fantasy world that doesn't exist based on spreadsheets and zero evidence. You're worse than the Shadowbane fanbois back in the day when Shadowbane was touted as the UO killer, the game that would murder everything, solve world hunger and be the best MMO ever launched. Look where Shadowbane is, and UO is still kicking.

When VO actually has something concrete, something that people can log into and test themselves, then we will start discussing what potential VO has. But until then, at least stop lying about these two games because your too desperate to create a fantasy world that doesn't exist.
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited October 2016
    a1fighter said:

I just don't understand the bashing, if anything VO is our hope in the superhero universe. Folks were pretty hard on it. I will backtrack some comments throughout this thread to prove my point. lets face it, DCUO is dated and the CO folks do not give a damn. These new archetypes are an indication that they are milking the game and have no intentions of doing something that will cost resources.

DCUO is limited

CO is in milking mode.

When it is all said and done, VO will be the best superhero mmo. DCUO, at least sees the light and the error of their ways. DCUO is suddenly interested in our feedback and actually providing players with what they want. At the same time, VO threads are forbidden in the off topic section.

CO? I don't think they care, if CO is shutdown, so be it. However CO will never shutdown imo, they will continue to spend very little, while charging high.

CO WILL NEVER EVER IMPROVE; which is why I am on the VO bandwagon, I see the big picture here. Been playing MMOs for awhile now and I know all the tricks of the trade, I sense what these devs are doing.

Objection, your honor. There's so much conjecture here it's leaving a greasy film on all it comes to contact with.

Honestly, dude, speak for yourself. Stop trying to speak for everyone.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited October 2016

a1fighter said:

Assertion not backed by evidence.
    Yeah. I 100% do not want CoH-style combat.
    biffsig.jpg
    Honestly, I liked CoH's graphics. And the story I saw looked interesting.

It was the CoH combat style that ground my gears. When your toon has a superpower theme, their combat powers should be built around that theme. And my lightning-blasting toon got to fire off an electrical blast once, then was reduced to using his fists like a plebian until his one permitted electrical attack came off cool-down.

At least in CO, even at first level, Short Circuit fired off small electrical bursts as his EB, while his bigger blast was cooling.

And a1, you keep talking about all these wonderful ATs in VO. Can you show me anything more than a spreadsheet full of "this is what we'd like to do"? I've seen too many "cool ideas" get dropped by the wayside during development when the engineers realized the whole thing was altogether too much trouble to code. (Heck, look at the artwork-in-development posts here in CO, that eventually caused Cryptic to stop posting them because people were taking proposals as promises.)​​

This discussion has been closed.