test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Valiance Online

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    You can't blame people. For a game that had a projected launch date of 2015 and is in the ****-end of 2016 with not a whole lot to show for it... What did you expect?

Lots of backers are pissed, last I heard.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2016

One person has a side project, and… oh, eff it. I'm wasting my time.

If you are making a game, and your updates have shown very little of said game, and one of your updates is about a puppet hand, and people are expecting to see some information about some game in video format, I think that's more than a little telling how good things are going that they chose to show off a puppet hand instead of any actual progress evidence of the game.

And as @biffsmackwell pointed out, we are fast approaching the **** end of 2016 here, and they were suppose to have a working beta by 2015. We haven't even seen a pre-alpha version, just a bunch of proof of concept videos and stroking off Epic's engine test video. So, expecting us to be confidant in what they are doing over there is a tad generous. But then again, I will reiterate a point. This is a fan project being created by inexperienced fans, in their free time no less. Saying they would be done in ten years is being mildly generous. Especially considering a professional games studio can take anywhere from six to ten years to create a fully functioning MMO that just isn't a single player game with forced multiplayer.

I honestly don't expect them to really finish at all to be blunt about it. Do I hope they succeed, yea, but so far they got so much against them, and they are starting to do what other Kickstarter fandoms that hit a brick wall and are unsure if they can proceed do; start releasing pointless crap videos that have absolutely nothing to do with the project.

In short, it's good to have faith in it, but blind faith when things are obviously not going the way they were promised, it's at a point you should be doing more than question what is going on.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    I don't think them being fans and doing this in their free time is an excuse. they're accepting money from people and that means they have to give something in return.
    they still should give deadlines they can actually reach. nothing kills an indie game like poor information and communication from the devs.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    yeah, the devs need to actually work on it or it's not really game development.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    reiwulf said:

I don't think them being fans and doing this in their free time is an excuse.

It is, however, a reason to have been skeptical from the start.
  • Options
    oh, absolutely. I'm very skeptical too, and will stay that way till hopefully proven wrong.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    I'm done. Uninstalling when I get home tonight. No, you can't have my stuff. Goodbye.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    For what ?..
    People are skeptical because the situation induces skepticism, not because they're stupid and mean. I understand that there will always be people like you who try to defend those who are pointed at, but we're (I'm) not being agressive and condescendent, just well, skeptical. That's in no way a valid reason for you to go full crisis and quitting the game. The community is not unworthy of you or something.
    I don't care if you're leaving, just don't do it for a dumb reason.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Wait a minute, SS - this is your Waterloo?

Not the years of no real development, not the occasional threads that have gotten so racist and/or sexist they had to be deleted, not even the Grond jokes in Chat, but people complaining about the vaporware tendencies of another game altogether??

Look, there's sensitivity to criticism, and then there's this. A bit over the top, no?​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    Either they are a major backer, and don't want to accept the reality even from professional game devs, or they are one of the developers on this project themselves, and then they have no room to talk at all, since all they do on the titan network forums is bash the crap out of Champions. Including their own developers.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User

Either they are a major backer, and don't want to accept the reality even from professional game devs, or they are one of the developers on this project themselves, and then they have no room to talk at all, since all they do on the titan network forums is bash the crap out of Champions. Including their own developers.

I have vague memories of when they came to the CO forums over a year ago or more ago when their Kick Starter just began to try to lure the populace of CO over to support their game, despite the threats they were throwing left and right at anyone who even hinted at speaking negatively towards their project. What a great way to advertise a game by calling even their supporters idiots.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    To be fair, I went to their youtube channel and their last video before this one was 2 weeks prior. Hearing people in this thread I was under the impression this was their first update in months or something like that.
  • Options
    what was the previous one?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

To be fair, I went to their youtube channel and their last video before this one was 2 weeks prior. Hearing people in this thread I was under the impression this was their first update in months or something like that.

Well this got me to go look for myself and I gotta say there is more there than I was expecting. I haven't really been following what the CoT people have been doing because I don't really care quite honestly. Same with valiance online, if either or both of those games get made that's great, I'll probably try them out but until then it's just not something I spend much time thinking about...

but I saw a good opportunity to make a dumb joke about cyborgs so I went for it! No regrets.

• Options
    That's the thing... I mean, I'll definitely try it, and if it's better than this game, I mean, I'm not gonna be like "But I have a duty to Champions!" I'll totally play it if it's flat-out better. I'll play it alongside Champions if it's just as good but a different experience. Same with Valiance. But there's the huge question of "when". Who knows.

One thing though, visuals are a large part of what keeps me playing a game. I have to like it visually. I can't play generic graphic fantasy stuff. That's why I thought WoW was so great, it had sweet-**** stylization, and I love that. With Champions, I love the look (even though I'd prefer cel-shading... boo!) and I love the animations. Most stuff is really dynamic, and that's great.

As far as City of Titans goes, I really hope their "dude running around" animation is nowhere near final. He looks like he's being hoisted by a crane, and when he runs, his body doesn't bob up and down. The chest seems to stay at the same height the entire time. It's something like that that'll really stick in my craw until things build up and I just start to visually hate the game.

I hope it's good.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I went to go see the updates, and they are still pretty much proof of concept pieces with out anything actually happening in them. Progress, perhaps, but it still really doesn't show anything going on. And they are still well behind schedule.

And honestly, if you are going into development, you better be prepared for this level of criticism. For starters, MWM are the ones who set their deadlines that they have failed to meet every one of. They've obviously done little research into how this works, or the actual time investment it takes to get a working product out of the door.

And to be blunt, proof of concept is all well and fine, but they are essentially still showing very little progress towards the finished product that many people put a lot of money into building. And speaking of money they also did not research how much it costs to do these endeavors. So *shrugs* it's a wait and see. I wish them the best, but I am not going to believe they will have a working, stable, fulfilled product before the ten year mark. If they try before they, they will be doing what Valiance is doing and trying to put out a proof of concept product as a game.
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    I'm confused is sistersilicon someone working for CoT or VO? I didn't think we were rude over it, but I still think that the moment you take money from people you have certain responsabilities and you can't use the "sideproject" excuse, because one of the most important responsabilities is being on time on the promises you made yourself.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Hopefully the develops for the two games are prepared for whatever feedback/criticism they may receive. If the past has shown anything, it's that gamers are passionate and have no fear of telling game designers exactly what they feel. Whether it's CO, WoW, or SWTOR players haven't been shy or PC.

VO seems to be further along then COT, though if I recall VO had already been in production before CoX closed. While they are behind schedule it is nice to see that they aren't rushing their processes. It will hopefully mean they are actually working on making a good game.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    VO is practically no where either. You can play the game and it's still the veritably same pre-alpha they released a year or more ago. And still just as un-optimized as ever.
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    reiwulf said:

I'm confused is sistersilicon someone working for CoT or VO? I didn't think we were rude over it, but I still think that the moment you take money from people you have certain responsabilities and you can't use the "sideproject" excuse, because one of the most important responsabilities is being on time on the promises you made yourself.

I looked into the whole sideproject thing and apparently the guy working on the cyborg hand thing is not part of the main development team. The people working on the game were working on it while this guy was doing that.

And they are still well behind schedule.

Well there's no question there. They're a year behind what they projected. If anything their greatest mistake was not being realistic about their production schedule.
    draogn said:

If the past has shown anything, it's that gamers are passionate and have no fear of telling game designers exactly what they feel.

Of course, one of the most valuable skills a developer can have is differentiating the constructive criticism from the people who are just being whiny little parrots. Knowing what to ignore is just as important as knowing what to listen to.
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

And this is for the folks whom clowned me in my "Four legged hero Thread" hehe

"Yes, we're working on tech to allow players to use centaur lower bodies."

So, in another hrmm, 6 years they might have a four legged model to add in with the sparse models and content they have now. Games still not even in an alpha state and they are trying to implement it on steam *just shakes head*
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

Can you ride them?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016

So, in another hrmm, 6 years they might have a four legged model to add in with the sparse models and content they have now. Games still not even in an alpha state and they are trying to implement it on steam *just shakes head*

Someone's running out of money. What's that? We have no more money coming in? Game is still years behind ready? Move it to steam, that'll get us some cash flow. Then after a year or two of still not being ready and being buried under negative criticism, we'll take all our current assets, and start a new game with a new name, probably even change the name of our studio a fresh start thanks to "rebranding". Certain open world zombie game comes to mind...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    In a few years they will have TWO ROBOT hands.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

Daybreak is awful, doubt Silverhelm is that stupid,;to put out a subpar product as a cash cow knowing how that never works....

Given a choice between "hold off publishing, run out of money, and go out of business with nothing accomplished" and "publish some crap now in hopes of making enough money to produce something better later", plenty of companies have chosen the latter path. In practice, what usually happens is that they just go out of business a bit later, and in either case you wind up with a stain on your professional reputation, but if you didn't have a reputation to start with it's no great loss.
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

I will wait and see, because if this alpha is solid, we all will be salty.

Why would we be salty? I have no ill will towards VO, I just have low expectations.

• Options
    Joking aside I hope all the indie superhero games get their crap together and get out good games. I gave CoT like $20 dollars during its kickstarter..thats like 2 generic Walmart/Asda bottles of rum worth.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

we all will be salty

Speak for yourself. Maybe you'll be salty, but I'll be happy to see the superhero mmo genre grow.
  • Options
    a1fighter wrote: »
    I will wait and see, because if this alpha is solid, we all will be salty and those clowning, will play it on the down low.
    The words are all in English, but in this order they don't seem to make any sense. I think my universal translator needs recalibrating.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    a1fighter said:

I will wait and see, because if this alpha is solid, we all will be salty and those clowning, will play it on the down low. If they do fail, we all can laugh I guess. It is safe to assume most see the later happening, because the game has been awful thus far.

I am amused at your claims. BTW, Valiance Online was suppose to be in alpha state last year, they've been peddling this alpha soon line for quite sometime. In fact, they put Valiance on Steam Greenlight to get more money, when they knew it wasn't ready. And the games still not ready. Very little has changed in the years this game has been in development, other than making bold claims of hires and so forth.

It's like listening to the few people that keep saying that there are still negotiations going on with NCSoft over CoH coming back to buy it or whatever, yet if you ask anyone who would know, no one knows about this. Just like those same people tell you not to email NCSoft because, evidently, NCSoft is scared of the small CoH player base anger, because, who the hell knows why a multi-billion dollar company would even be worried. But then again, CoH players thought they were the reason NCSoft had a bad year, since none of them actually watch business trends or stock markets anyways, so yea that one just keeps going.

It isn't salt pointing out the facts as they stand. I've actually played around with this Valiance Online game. I played it two years ago and recently, and other than adding in two whole new costume choices, nothing else has changed about Valiance Online in that time. It's still a very poorly optimized mess with very little going on in the game world.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    too bad I've been seeing all the rose coloured glasses fall off . as people remembered the things they didn't like.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    I will still clown on you for wanting centaurs. It's just...

Nevermind, centaurs are a staple and the backbone of the superhero genre! Woo go centaurs!

Screw this game, I'm gonna go play centaurs online!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    I'd love to see VO work out as more superhero options is better than fewer. But it does seem more than a bit iffy to me.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    a1fighter said:

No need for old age tech I am good mate I can play as centaur on my Wii.
  • Options
    nepht wrote: »

No need for old age tech I am good mate I can play as centaur on my Wii.
    I only see two legs in there. That's a minotaur - a totally different creature, and one you can make here in CO easily enough.​​

• Options
    Motaro? Not one of my favorites.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jonsills said:

I only see two legs in there. That's a minotaur - a totally different creature, and one you can make here in CO easily enough.​​

So with that logic if I lost my legs I'd stop being human then? The only reply I can muster for that.

Motaro lost his back half sometime in-between MK3 and MKA. He a Centuar all right.

I used a more recent'ish game because didn't want to bust that guys tech bubble and tell him Centaurs have been in games for like always ^_^

• Options
    In-universe the Shokan cursed his race....

Out of universe... it was around the time they stopped using sprites and switch to 3d
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    I have no clue what a Motaro is, but I know enough Greek mythology to recognize the half-man, half-bull Minotaur when I see him... :smile:​​

• Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Motaro is a character from Mortal Kombat. He was originally a centaur but was cursed to become a minotaur. Basically a bunch of BS made up by Midway(?) to add a playable character to the game. And not actually a centaur in his playable character form.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jonsills said:

I have no clue what a Motaro is, but I know enough Greek mythology to recognize the half-man, half-bull Minotaur when I see him... :smile:​​

"What a Motaro is" seriously again u wot m8 wot r u casul? Its the name of a sub par boss of the made up Centurian race in an overrated 90s fighting game what was made by a guy that if you spell his name backwards you get NOOB. Obviously anyone interested in the Super Hero genre should know all this cause Centaurs, Wiis and 90s beat em up that have bugger all to do with Super Heroes are a major staple of Super Hero Lore.

GIT GUD!

And I keeping with the all important one robot hand....

• Options
    nepht wrote: »
    "What a Motaro is" seriously again u wot m8 wot r u casul?
    Well, yeah, if you used the Forum Enhancement program you'd see my title is "Filthy Casual"... :lol:​​

This discussion has been closed.