test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CHAMPIONS ONLINE: STATE OF THE GAME - 10/29/15

1235»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    raighn said:

What's even cooler is that you can purchase from them something called CREDD, which costs like 15 bucks or something, but you can sell it in the game through a special vendor (works like the auction house, people can set a price they want to sell it at, and buyers can set a price they'll buy it at). This item can then be sold again or redeemed for a month of game time. So it's basically people buying game time for other people and in return they get a bunch of in-game cash. And whenever you redeem the CREDD, it counts as you spending money in the game as well, and fills up your reward meter, too.

I think it's a pretty slick system, and I think it would probably work in Champs.

WoW recently added something similar... Game Time Tokens are starting to become common place in many other MMOs too...
    Been going on in EvE since forever, which is why you can see reports of those massive battles with actual money costs associated (ships are purchased with ISK, but since you can swap purchased game time for ISK at a steady rate, the in-game currency has an actual monetary value; yes, those pretend spaceships literally *are* worth hundreds or thousands of US dollars apiece).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Been going on in EvE since forever, which is why you can see reports of those massive battles with actual money costs associated (ships are purchased with ISK, but since you can swap purchased game time for ISK at a steady rate, the in-game currency has an actual monetary value; yes, those pretend spaceships literally *are* worth hundreds or thousands of US dollars apiece).

I never understood why people think this token system is a new thing. PLEX has been around for hell I dunno how long now, ten years at least? But no one batted an eyelash about it, except the hardcore EVE players. Now that Wildstar and WoW are doing it, it's some amazing new concept that no one ever tried before, for some reason. Hell I think the only thing people batted their eyelashes about was the whole EVE store debacle that happened.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    It's probably because some people don't spend their time looking at features of games they don't play. For instance, this guy.

This CREDD thing was new to me. I don't care how long ago you heard of the concept; this isn't some discussion about who heard of what underground punk band first to determine who's cooler. It's a good system tied to a rewards track that I think would be a good way for the game to make money and to reward silver players for spending real money, for once.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2015

It's probably because some people don't spend their time looking at features of games they don't play. For instance, this guy.

This CREDD thing was new to me. I don't care how long ago you heard of the concept; this isn't some discussion about who heard of what underground punk band first to determine who's cooler. It's a good system tied to a rewards track that I think would be a good way for the game to make money and to reward silver players for spending real money, for once.

Back in the late 80's one of my college professors told a story about how her nine year old came home from school one day all excited about a new band called The Beatles. (sorry the underground band reference brought the story to mind).

I didn't play Wildstar long enough to look into CREDD, but the basic idea, as you describe it, seems cool.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    D'oh, hit quote not edit. My bad.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    more than a ful page about log in rewards? is that such an important issue? to me it's just a nice bonus I guess but definitely not something important, I guess it's different for others.
    natesig.jpg

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    I would support giving out vet rewards based on how much real money has been spent, even though I already have all of them.

What do folks think of making more vet rewards beyond what we already have? I really don't know how they handle that in other MMOs that have subscriptions.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I would support giving out vet rewards based on how much real money has been spent, even though I already have all of them.

What do folks think of making more vet rewards beyond what we already have? I really don't know how they handle that in other MMOs that have subscriptions.

We already get them. That's what the costume vendor is for. Rewards for those that subscribe to Champions.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited November 2015
    I thought my question was pretty clear. I believe I said "more vet rewards" meaning for those that have subscribed for more days than what the vet rewards system goes to.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    If I recall correctly, the reason we were given for why there will be no more Vet rewards past the 1000 day mark is because it's become increasingly difficult to make worth-while rewards for the Vet rewards system. Any new rewards would seem better fit for the 100-300 day range.

I'm certain people will complain yet again about "Gold and LTS is being devalued" by any such additions... but in all honesty the value in an LTS is in it's cost savings. And the value of a Gold Sub is mostly the same... in the end the game is already set up for 3 payment options for the same results. 1) Silver - Individual purchases, can be exceptionally cheap or absurdly expensive. 2) Gold - Monthly packaged deel, standard rate good for those on a budget but can become costly after a while. 3) LTS - Heafty price tag, but in the end comes out to be the cheapest optioon for long-term players.

The sooner everyone realizes and accepts those truths, the sooner cryptic can put incentive programs in place to encourge more spending from the silver community.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited November 2015
    Actually, my question about further vet rewards was linked (and indeed in the same post) as my comment that I am all for giving out vet rewards based on how much overall real life money players have spent on the game.......gold and silver alike.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Actually, my question about further vet rewards was linked (and indeed in the same post) as my comment that I am all for giving out vet rewards based on how much overall real life money players have spent on the game.......gold and silver alike.

My comment was directed towards everyone that it applies too, no single person in particular. It won't apply to everyone who reads it, but there are some who it does apply to... as I said "people will complain" no quantifier as to how many or who, just people... there have been and will most certainly be again people who complain about such changes devaluing subscription. I was talking to those people with that comment.​​
    jniKqKJ.png
    raighn said:

My comment was directed towards everyone that it applies too, no single person in particular. It won't apply to everyone who reads it, but there are some who it does apply to... as I said "people will complain" no quantifier as to how many or who, just people... there have been and will most certainly be again people who complain about such changes devaluing subscription. I was talking to those people with that comment.​​

Okay, but what do you think about what I did say?

Do you think if they ever implemented that system that further vet rewards past the ones we have in CO should be implemented?

zrdRBy8.png
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "What do folks think of making more vet rewards beyond what we already have?"

Depends on how / if they implement vet reward changes. With vet rewards based on money spent, they could simply add new tiers of rewards. IF they restructure the system to allow for future expansion.

Hey devs, if you run with this idea, please grandfather in the filthy silvers that have spent money instead of making them start with nothing. I'd be kinda miffed if my vet rewards went to zero after dumping all that money into the game. I'm sure other silvers that haven't sub'd and spent money would be irritated at starting with nothing too.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    I'd like to see more vet rewards... but I doubt we'll ever see any more added... since as I already said, the reason we were given was that making rewards worth the ever growing time investment isn't really feasable...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I personally don't like how Veteran rewards were handled in this game. Stuff like costumes shouldn't be hidden behind a three friggin year wait. Put that stuff behind a pay track or just stick it in the store. Have consumable things only for veteran rewards. Titles pertaining to being here a long time is fine. Retcon/retrain tokens, free character slots, keys, in-game currency, upgrade catalysts, special gear sets with interesting effects, all that kind of stuff I can get behind. And these are all things you can keep rewarding indefinitely. No work needs to go into designing tokens and stuff.
    biffsig.jpg
    I personally don't like how Veteran rewards were handled in this game. Stuff like costumes shouldn't be hidden behind a three friggin year wait. Put that stuff behind a pay track or just stick it in the store. Have consumable things only for veteran rewards. Titles pertaining to being here a long time is fine. Retcon/retrain tokens, free character slots, keys, in-game currency, upgrade catalysts, special gear sets with interesting effects, all that kind of stuff I can get behind. And these are all things you can keep rewarding indefinitely. No work needs to go into designing tokens and stuff.

I could agree with them changing Vet rewards to something like this 100%​​
    jniKqKJ.png