What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CHAMPIONS ONLINE: STATE OF THE GAME - 10/29/15

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Spin-to-Lose, you still don't get that I don't hate challenge, I hate fake challenge and I hate tedium.

And have an unreasonably narrow definition of "real challenge".
    Based around the misguided notion that this game is meant to make players feel like Super Man fighting a group of common street thugs.
    Whereas you would apparently prefer to feel like Jimmy Olsen abandoned on the surface of Apokalips.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Again, while I still consider lockouts a lazy design trick, I never said they had to go. But at the time of Graviturd, they were a sudden, unwarned change - thus, bad design and fake difficulty.

For all I know the information was available and I just failed to see it, but my first time doing Gravitar (where I was downed) I immediately tried to respawn to get back into the fight. I do believe that a new mechanic (and I don't have a problem with lockouts and added a rez to my build) of this sort should probably not be a surprise that you learn about after the fact.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Again, while I still consider lockouts a lazy design trick, I never said they had to go. But at the time of Graviturd, they were a sudden, unwarned change - thus, bad design and fake difficulty.

Urr... the fact you think that mainly indicates massive ignorance about the existing content in CO. Lockouts were added to the game with Therakiel's Temple, and are also present in several adventure packs if you actually run them multiplayer. Random threat-ignoring attacks have been in the game since launch (Teleiosaurus has a tail swipe attack that attacks people behind her. It has no icon, a very minimal tell, and does about as much damage as Gravitar's random force cascades. Therakiel's gaze attack is unblockable, has no icon, and can hit a target other than the person with aggro).
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    beezeeze said:

lockouts are nothing new now and I don't see why we shouldn't keep them, gives people with res powers something useful to do every now and then. RGN moves that deal out poptentailly fatal damage? Yeah kinda cheap...but again gives those ressers something to do. Do you want to devaule their build choices by making one of their abilites totally pointless just so you can feel more invincible!?(Yeah didn't think so! you probably didn't even think about that!)

Lockouts are garbage. If they didn't want people respawning, it should not be allowed on the map. If a player doesn't know about lockouts, they're going to be sad when it happens. They might just leave or go afk because sitting around doing nothing while everyone else actually gets to participate is balls. Then there's always the "I tried to heal but died and the UI f'd me over by having terrible button activation so now I'm in the spawn cage" issue. At least sitting around dead they have a chance at being brought back into the fight. Or can see what's going on a whole lot better. Then there's always the potential mentality change. Being locked out is the game's fault, licking the pavement is the player's.

As for the State of the Game: Be Less Vague. That thing says all of nothing even remotely interesting outside of Kaiserin being part of the CO team. It's putting things into a post that people already knew or figured out. How about some developer manifests? Something that gives interesting insight into why the devs make the choices they do and what they're trying to accomplish.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    sterga said:

As for the State of the Game: Be Less Vague. That thing says all of nothing even remotely interesting outside of Kaiserin being part of the CO team. It's putting things into a post that people already knew or figured out. How about some developer manifests? Something that gives interesting insight into why the devs make the choices they do and what they're trying to accomplish.

I could go with that. Nicely put.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills said:

spinnytop said:

Spin-to-Lose, you still don't get that I don't hate challenge, I hate fake challenge and I hate tedium.

Based around the misguided notion that this game is meant to make players feel like Super Man fighting a group of common street thugs.
    Whereas you would apparently prefer to feel like Jimmy Olsen abandoned on the surface of Apokalips.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
  • Options
    sterga said:

These devs are brave, but not stupid. Doing what you suggest would be stupid, because all of what you suggest would only be used to lob accusations and insults at the devs. Admit it, the second you saw one of them express an opinion you don't agree with, you'd be here along side plenty of others to write a not-so-polite essay about why that means they should be fired.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    sterga said:

Lockouts are garbage. If they didn't want people respawning, it should not be allowed on the map. If a player doesn't know about lockouts, they're going to be sad when it happens. They might just leave or go afk because sitting around doing nothing while everyone else actually gets to participate is balls. Then there's always the "I tried to heal but died and the UI f'd me over by having terrible button activation so now I'm in the spawn cage" issue. At least sitting around dead they have a chance at being brought back into the fight. Or can see what's going on a whole lot better. Then there's always the potential mentality change. Being locked out is the game's fault, licking the pavement is the player's.

Well yes sending them back to MC or whereever after respawning would be better than making them sit in a cage and watch... I think the intent was to give the encounter a little more edge by adding in a real possibility of failure..that ramps up the stakes and makes you pay more attention during the fight, hopefully making things just a little bit more exciting that way

that I think was the intent anyway, it is up to player's own opinions on whether or not it works...

• Options
    edited November 2015
    beezeeze said:

Well yes sending them back to MC or whereever after respawning would be better than making them sit in a cage and watch... I think the intent was to give the encounter a little more edge by adding in a real possibility of failure..that ramps up the stakes and makes you pay more attention during the fight, hopefully making things just a little bit more exciting that way

that I think was the intent anyway, it is up to player's own opinions on whether or not it works...

It certainly makes the fight more exciting for anyone who took a rez power, and makes them feel less like they wasted a power slot.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    If its scope isn't comparable to Mandragalore, Therakiel Temple, or at an extreme Resistance, I don't consider it really end game.​​
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

spinnytop said:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
    Same "logic" you used, Spinny.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    jonsills said:

Same "logic" you used, Spinny.

Except Bluegrass has many times stated that they believe the game is supposed to make the player feel powerful and never in a situation where they don't outmatch their opponents. They have explicitly stated this multiple times. Your statement on the other hand has no basis in anything I've ever said, so no. If you had on the other hand said something like "Spinny thinks that players should feel like Spiderman fighting the Green Goblin", then you'd be spot on. As it stands, you're reaching to to try to take a jab at me; unfortunately, you failed.

You're getting desperate Jon. I know you have something against me for whatever reason; I guess at some point I disagreed with you and that made you all grumpy. Maybe you're one of these "anyone who disagrees with me is a troll" people and you just have to try to chase after the trolls. You can remain firm in the knowledge that your desperate attempts are very entertaining to me though, especially when you do that thing where you try to basically repeat the same thing I said. Could you do that now?
  • Options
    Naw, you're doing the "desperately seeking attention" thing well enough for both of us, kid. Enjoy!

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    jonsills said:

Rule 27 of the Super Villain handbook states : Never underestimate Jimmy Olsen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3298Vxe57d4

I mean he beats peoples with an office chairs >_>"

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jonsills said:

Naw, you're doing the "desperately seeking attention" thing well enough for both of us, kid. Enjoy!

lol, you said kid.

PS - If I'm the one seeking attention, then why are you the one who popped into a conversation that didn't involve you just to try to take jabs at me? :smiley: your logic aint so logical pops :wink:
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    These baby slap fights are killin' me.

• Options
    spinnytop said:

sterga said:

These devs are brave, but not stupid. Doing what you suggest would be stupid, because all of what you suggest would only be used to lob accusations and insults at the devs. Admit it, the second you saw one of them express an opinion you don't agree with, you'd be here along side plenty of others to write a not-so-polite essay about why that means they should be fired.
    No. Not stupid. I normally find it interesting to see developer insight into why they do things. It's why I sub to several developer channel on YouTube. Grinding Gear Games does developer manifests and I usually read them and have never felt compelled to say anyone should be fired. CO devs refuse to talk about the future, but maybe they can talk about the past and present instead.

Plus, I've written one essay and it didn't call for a single dev to be fired.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    we still have people, demanding work, from 4 years ago before major changes to the game.
    That's the problem with specifics. IF the Devs say anything, even if it's " WE may be looking into it" Some people take it as a cast iron promise.
    -----
    I have really gotta clip my nails, too much double typing.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    "some people" will always be a problem everywhere chaelk, doesn't mean we should all get the kiddy teatment because of it.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    "some people" will always be a problem everywhere chaelk, doesn't mean we should all get the kiddy teatment because of it.

Not to mention looking into it isn't what was said either in those cases. Furthermore, while some people may have been satisfied with being thrown under the bus for the past four years, I am sure there are realists who are not.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Not to mention looking into it isn't what was said either in those cases. Furthermore, while some people may have been satisfied with being thrown under the bus for the past four years, I am sure there are realists who are not.

​​

Until they have something to actually present the post we got is what we are going to get. I didn't expect anything different from that StoG post.
  • Options
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    Until they have something to actually present the post we got is what we are going to get. I didn't expect anything different from that StoG post.

I honestly didn't expect an SoTG... We haven't had one since the last until report over 3 years ago. I mean I am happy to see it, but I would like some clarifications.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

Not to mention looking into it isn't what was said either in those cases. Furthermore, while some people may have been satisfied with being thrown under the bus for the past four years, I am sure there are realists who are not.​​

So a realist, doesn't accept the reality of the situation, which is , some things they planned, we aren't getting(most of them). Some things we were going to get, changes to the game made them redundant and a waste of money to make.

Yes, I know we have been screwed over for 4 years(4 1/2 since On alert- the live test for NW gear enchant, skirmishes and spec tree system).

and my comment " WE may be looking into it" was a reference to some peoples response to that sort of comment, it does not state any particular update.

me, I'd like to know what money went to STO from CO before and F2P. Since we have been told we don't have cross subsidizing, it would be a business loan, in which case, has it been paid back.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    So a realist, doesn't accept the reality of the situation, which is , some things they planned, we aren't getting(most of them). Some things we were going to get, changes to the game made them redundant and a waste of money to make.

Yes, I know we have been screwed over for 4 years(4 1/2 since On alert- the live test for NW gear enchant, skirmishes and spec tree system).

and my comment " WE may be looking into it" was a reference to some peoples response to that sort of comment, it does not state any particular update.

me, I'd like to know what money went to STO from CO before and F2P. Since we have been told we don't have cross subsidizing, it would be a business loan, in which case, has it been paid back.

Except, there never was a we may be looking into it, they were goals that were actively being pursued, but again, Champions was thrown under the bus as our entire dev team was shipped off to other projects when the consoling and promise that the move of our current small dev team at the time was indeed only temporary and things would pick back up after project X was finished and stabilized.

And instead of that happening, we were instead shipped off to the D team at Cryptic North so they kept putting in costumes, grant it some decent quality ones, and finished an update that was planned for before our original dev team got moved, an update for the most part that has been rather poorly received, to be blunt about it. And this of course was only for them to train on the Cryptic engine to begin with in preparation for them being moved to yet another project.

Now even the costume updates have thinned out. While it's great what's going on now, I, like you, am curious where all Champions money went. And the fact it's more or less being swept under the rug that, yea, you're right that both STO and Neverwinter have basically robbed the cradle from Champions potential future and it's frustrating as a fan and supporter of Champions that we can't be given the decency of at least having a basic road map other than the obvious of stuffs happening. I don't think it's much to ask when people want clarification of what endgame they are referring to, because if you ask a number of people on this forum what end game is a number of them try to skirt by and say alting is the end game, which is laughable at best.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    For the past 4 years CO has felt like a Give-&-Take relationship with the devs... we give them money and get almost nothing in return... It's really not to much to ask for a little clarity on the situation rather than this veiled silence... in every SotG I've read for other games they ALWAYS give atleast some solid details... even if the majority of the planned content is shrouded in mystery... there's always something solid that lets the players know that "yes, there really is something being worked on"... this SotG on the otherhand comes across as little more than a half-baked attempt at appeasement... we have no details on anything at all, nothing... in all fairness the whole thing can be read as a great big giant "maybe something will happen"... we've gone over 4 years without any real updates, and the first new thing we get is Onslaught which appears to be dead in the water already... PvP is not a strong point in Champions Online's community so it's really no surprise that a PvP focused update isn't doing too well...​​
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    nesno5 said:

..... you run a high risk of loosing your qnigh due to sever time outs.

I never lose my qnigh. I put a GPS on it and make it memorise a map of the London underground.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options

nesno5 said:

..... you run a high risk of loosing your qnigh due to sever time outs.

I never lose my qnigh. I put a GPS on it and make it memorise a map of the London underground.
    I tried that too. Turns out memorizing the London underground doesn't help it find its way home in the Puyallup area.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    and then you have this one from ON Alert.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/13/rob-overmeyer-discusses-new-changes-coming-for-champions-online/
    The last 2 sections are the ones you want.
    this was just before our devs were shipped off to NW because it was behind in it's release timetable
    ----------
    if you think this is vague , go back and reread the blog about CO moving back to HQ and Crypticarkayne joining. I pointed out a lot of things that were not said or missed out on those posts , as people assumed it meant an improvement.
    nesno5 said:

The state of the game should of told everyone that PWE servers are crap and if you play as OV you run a high risk of losing your questionite due to sever time outs.

The server(singular- there is only one with all 4 games on it) have been crap the entire time I've been playing. There were some good patches. Then it went cactus when NW came out...and each update .. and when STO has a big update. Then they rearranged it for the consoles too and it went, recently we had a good patch. STO had another update and...we're back to yoyo rime.

• Options
    There are plural servers. Unfortunately, they're all located in a single server farm, so if there's anything that interrupts communication with that particular physical location, it causes all of us problems. A couple of years ago, there were massive blizzards in the Boston area, for instance; more recently, the ISP, Cogent Communications, has been feuding with Verizon/Level 3 Communications, and occasionally slowing traffic coming from Level 3 nodes in an effort to force Verizon to pay more for high-speed access. Then there are the vagaries of trans-oceanic data transfer that give our European friends such a hard time...

Sometimes the issue is the Cryptic server farm. At least as often, however, it isn't.

• Options
    hatepwehatepwe Posts: 13 Arc User
    Someone mentioned broken promises, but you can't really break promises you aren't making. When was the last time that permanent content was added to the game? Like a replayable set of missions or a zone? The game got a update 6 months after launch and since then it's been relatively stagnant. There was a year or two with updates that were pretty good (Resistance, Whiteout, Demonflame, etc) and in a long time it's been pretty much nothing.

The state of the game essentially said "Maintenance Mode" with some new art assets and micro-transaction items. With two other games on the horizon being built by people that loved City of Heroes until the end I don't see many people sticking around here after those move into Beta/Launch. There's no story, no history to our characters...I don't feel bonded to the characters I've made here like I did in City of Heroes. There's not the legacy or anything.

We don't have a community Hamidon equivalent. Even all our "Big" events divide people across the zone with only 2-3 minute battles against something that just has a lot of HP and a near "Kill Everything" power.

In a game where we can be anything and just build up Max Characters as freeforms we really need perks to playing themes beyond whats here and perks to team up beyond what's here. There's little reason to team up or interact with other players with the recent Halloween event many people even said in zone it was "better" to solo because of not everyone getting rewarded for participating.

When I came to Champions I expected it to be the spiritual successor to CoH with even more content since so much history was already written for them it would have just been a matter of adding to that and building from it.

Heck we have a time machine in a warehouse that could let people go back and replay great stories already written in the Lore...

But shortly after launch it became apparent that the game was created to float them through production of STO and subsequently NW. It's now just at the point where they put out some new costumes (sometimes recycling and tweaking existing NPC elements) and other micro-transaction purposed things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    hatepwe said:

Someone mentioned broken promises, but you can't really break promises you aren't making. When was the last time that permanent content was added to the game? Like a replayable set of missions or a zone? The game got a update 6 months after launch and since then it's been relatively stagnant. There was a year or two with updates that were pretty good (Resistance, Whiteout, Demonflame, etc) and in a long time it's been pretty much nothing.

The state of the game essentially said "Maintenance Mode" with some new art assets and micro-transaction items. With two other games on the horizon being built by people that loved City of Heroes until the end I don't see many people sticking around here after those move into Beta/Launch. There's no story, no history to our characters...I don't feel bonded to the characters I've made here like I did in City of Heroes. There's not the legacy or anything.

We don't have a community Hamidon equivalent. Even all our "Big" events divide people across the zone with only 2-3 minute battles against something that just has a lot of HP and a near "Kill Everything" power.

In a game where we can be anything and just build up Max Characters as freeforms we really need perks to playing themes beyond whats here and perks to team up beyond what's here. There's little reason to team up or interact with other players with the recent Halloween event many people even said in zone it was "better" to solo because of not everyone getting rewarded for participating.

When I came to Champions I expected it to be the spiritual successor to CoH with even more content since so much history was already written for them it would have just been a matter of adding to that and building from it.

Heck we have a time machine in a warehouse that could let people go back and replay great stories already written in the Lore...

But shortly after launch it became apparent that the game was created to float them through production of STO and subsequently NW. It's now just at the point where they put out some new costumes (sometimes recycling and tweaking existing NPC elements) and other micro-transaction purposed things.

I didn't expect CO to be near CoH, as it was clear back in '09(?)( when beta keys were being handed out) that it was going to be very different. I couldn't get into it because at the time I:
    1). Wasn't very interested to begin with, as I'd received the key from a friend and wanted to honor him by giving it a try

2.)Was so used to playing CoH, since i'd played that since 2 years after launch and at the time GR was being discussed/on it's way and I was excited for that.
    After trying CO now, I think it's gotten a lot more friendly towards new players, which I feel is good, however it lacks any real way to keep those new players.
    Though, upon CoH's return, I am hoping to maybe get a LTS so I don't have to keep resubbing and then just pay whatever price a month for CoH as well
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    Steel Crusade added replayable daily missions, Fatal Error did as well. So did Super Villian Onslaught.

SOTG says: Hey guys we're alive and we're doing stuff!

Jaded Gamers Say: WAH Maintenance Mode confirmed!! WAH why did you even bother to tell us anything expect the specific things we are demanding! COH!!! CO is a redheaded stepchild! DOOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

• Options
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    Though, upon CoH's return,

Is there some announcement that my google search couldn't find? Unless you're referring to the chat program now.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    aUbk9ha.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    beezeeze said:

Steel Crusade added replayable daily missions, Fatal Error did as well. So did Super Villian Onslaught.

SOTG says: Hey guys we're alive and we're doing stuff!

Jaded Gamers Say: WAH Maintenance Mode confirmed!! WAH why did you even bother to tell us anything expect the specific things we are demanding! COH!!! CO is a redheaded stepchild! DOOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Clicking buttons, punching one guy down the street and running back to claim a reward isn't a "Mission" that's a task. When I say mission I mean something with dialogue and story outside of a bookend interaction with a single contact.

SOTG: Same things we've been doing but never bothered to mention for last year or more.

Friends & Family beta LTS supporter that's seen less story/mission content created in this game in 6 years than the company has produced in each of their other games in half the time or less: Where's the story/mission content? Where's the Supergroup Bases? etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hatepwe said:

Clicking buttons, punching one guy down the street and running back to claim a reward isn't a "Mission" that's a task. When I say mission I mean something with dialogue and story outside of a bookend interaction with a single contact.

SOTG: Same things we've been doing but never bothered to mention for last year or more.

Friends & Family beta LTS supporter that's seen less story/mission content created in this game in 6 years than the company has produced in each of their other games in half the time or less: Where's the story/mission content? Where's the Supergroup Bases? etc.

As expected, anything that does not apply to your truncated definitions does not count.

So continue to make false statments, all it is harming is your own credibility...

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    As expected, anything that does not apply to your truncated definitions does not count.

So continue to make false statments, all it is harming is your own credibility...

Not to mention he completely ignored that you mentioned Steel Crusade & Fatal Error... both of which fall squarely within his definition of a mission... both have actual story elements, complete with fully voice acted cutscenes, both are repeatable daily, both are fairly long...​​
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    raighn said:

Not to mention he completely ignored that you mentioned Steel Crusade & Fatal Error... both of which fall squarely within his definition of a mission... both have actual story elements, complete with fully voice acted cutscenes, both are repeatable daily, both are fairly long...​​

Fatal Error does feel a bit lacking when the Cybermind Alert is not up, but I wouldn't say it didn't count as content because it clearly is... and saying that Steel Crusade doesn't count is doubly ludicrous...

but if it ain't new zones/foundry/level cap increase/whichever thing they are personally demanding

there is no satisfying some people.

• Options
    beezeeze said:

raighn said:

Fatal Error does feel a bit lacking when the Cybermind Alert is not up, but I wouldn't say it didn't count as content because it clearly is... and saying that Steel Crusade doesn't count is doubly ludicrous...

but if it ain't new zones/foundry/level cap increase/whichever thing they are personally demanding

I also want to note that those are true story missions...which were added over a year and 2 years ago respectively...that's like going "Oh they added a zone 5 years ago" as a defense of lack of updates...What missions were released this year in an even vague approximation of those? The Majority of story content in this game was released 3+ years ago...And that is my point, if people what a game with new missions and new experiences and not just new stuff to buy then they won't stick with CO at this rate.

Champions Online Updates:
    Steel Crusade - 9/2014
    Fatal Error - Late Summer 2013

and yes about a half dozen misc one off alerts that are sort of like Mini-Missions

By Comparison:

Star Trek Online
    7 Season updates introducing 5 new battle zones, player bases, reputation system, a new faction, etc etc

They've also added 13 Feature Episodes in that time which are story intense missions many of them linked together and overall progressing the greater arc of that game.

Also a game that is only a year newer than CO so you can't say it's "New" and getting more attention because of that.

Neverwinter has so many updates I can't even begin to categorize them all.

No where do I say the game is bad, no where do I say I don't appreciate new costume options and such. I also am not stating anything against micro-transactions.

I'm simply stating that the last State of the Game was 3 years ago and since then little was done by comparison to what they accomplished in their other games (one which launched around then and has had more updates than CO since launch in half the time)

Heck City of Heroes had Villains and an entire Villain city in the first 2 years and missions to fill it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    hatepwe said:

Heck City of Heroes had.

That's where that sentence should stop.

photo Its a stiff.png

photo it has ceased to be.png

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    hatepwe said:

beezeeze said:

raighn said:

I also want to note that those are true story missions...which were added over a year and 2 years ago respectively..
    You had stated that there had been NO content added since Vibora Bay. Your contention was refuted. You should simply graciously acknowledge that your complaint was in error and in fact has no basis, rather than doubling down on misinformation.

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    Well, glad to see everyone's still getting along.

Hey, if anything "We know you want things to do at endgame, so we're working on that" is something. It might be a very vague SoTG post, but hell. Endgame confirmed on some level or another. That's basically all I've been asking for, if they actually DO start adding to it, that'd be enough to drag my happy butt back in game. I've been saying for a while now that the energy they're expending on these mini-events would be way better utilized on endgame stuff, something we have that we can actually hang on to.

Never got the point of developing content for a month or 2, then burying it. Why even bother if it's non-permanent?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    hatepwe said:

Heck City of Heroes had Villains and an entire Villain city in the first 2 years and missions to fill it.

The CoH developers, who all lost their jobs, admitted that the Villain thing was a huge mistake and waste of resources.

• Options
    hatepwe wrote: »

All CoV was was a copy and paste of CoH playstyle. It really wasn't any different just the words villain on it as a majority of the villain content was more akin to anti-hero stuff than actually villainous enterprising. And those missions that were actually villainous, you were treated basically like a lackey instead of an actual mastermind plotting your own villainous deeds.

And considering that Paragon kept shuffling CoV off to secondary status if not straight up neglect them in patches, it shows how much that Paragon Studios actually cared about Villain side, beyond simple lip service that is.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

....except Bluegrass never said that at all.

Heeer'es your straw back Spin-to-Lose. Try again?

Oh, you already forgot all your "power fantasy" rhetoric? Does that mean that you've reversed your position and no longer think that the game needs to hold on to it's current level of balance in order to remain an effective power fantasy? I think you better hold onto that straw, cause I remember :wink:
  • Options
    Temp events keep the game in the news. Being in the news means people know this game exists and is actively being developed. Some of those people might actually play the game because they keep seeing these news articles.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    True, but then we gotta keep them, which is hard when the only new content is a temp event every few months that amounts to "Hit the giant bag of hp until it falls down with 50 of your closest acquaintances."

I see the appeal of the sorta instant gratification "we got the players because x big event is going on", but the last 2 expansions to the game have been "become vehicle" and "become villain". Kinda wish we got a bit more "be yourself and go through a mission" type stuff. I'd love the cybermind/mechanon stuff, but closure on those arcs doesn't happen unless a special alert is up, or an event that I honestly doubt we'll see again because of how broken it was.

Then again, what I want is more involved and probably expensive. Meh. One can dream.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine