test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

prepatch download happens everytime I log out and back in

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
whats going on here the same download of 2074mgs happened 3 times so far today ......................wtf and the mail server isn't working to all of my char.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    same here i hope they are looking it to it
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mine is stuck on 16 MBs, and it even crashes my game with no crash report and such weird
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    colt_357 wrote: »
    whats going on here the same download of 2074mgs happened 3 times so far today ......................wtf and the mail server isn't working to all of my char.

Yeah im on like number 4 getting very irritating.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Add me to the list.

This "patch" also affected my performance for some reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    delete

10char
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    same here im redown loading every time i loag on .
    system win 7 x 64 bit
    qwade core
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    same here im redown loading every time i loag on .
    system win 7 x 64 bit
    qwade core
    i down laoded the pach yester day
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To everyone in this thread: please make sure you have an up-to-date version of the launcher (not one of the old test ones from SuperMartin) and please post what you see as the ct IP on the debug dialog (press X).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    To everyone in this thread: please make sure you have an up-to-date version of the launcher (not one of the old test ones from SuperMartin) and please post what you see as the ct IP on the debug dialog (press X).

My launcher is from 1/7/2010. What would be considered current?

At the bottom of the transfers screen (when I press X) I see: ct = No link
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wrote:
    My launcher is from 1/7/2010. What would be considered current?

At the bottom of the transfers screen (when I press X) I see: ct = No link
    The current version is 2010_03_17 (read: from yesterday). If you do not see that version something is wrong. You can likely correct it by re-running the small installer (http://files.startrekonline.com/installer/star_trek_online_setup.exe).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have the correct up to date launcher CL_2010_03_17_15_26
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    May also be important to note that after updating I closed the launcher and just re-opened it without having to update again.....I will load the game later and see if I exit the game if I have to update again.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same for me, and it's downloading it again after I logged out (I got it yesterday as well). I have a limited monthly bandwidth allowance, so, I closed the window.

When I reopened the launcher, I started downloading a smaller 16 MB file. Got back ingame, logged out, and the launcher came back after I left the program, again trying to patch 2054 mb. I closed it. ~_~
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Poseidon67 wrote: »
    I have the correct up to date launcher CL_2010_03_17_15_26

This is the version I have and have the same problem. The ct ip listed on the debug is 208.95.187.74
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    The current version is 2010_03_17 (read: from yesterday). If you do not see that version something is wrong. You can likely correct it by re-running the small installer (http://files.startrekonline.com/installer/star_trek_online_setup.exe).

Actually, my launcher is from yesterday. Looking at the properties, the date created was Jan. 7, but date modified was March 17. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD this installer if you have CL_2010_03_17_15_26!!! It will make you download the 10 GB game file again. I just did this and boy am I screwed.

coderanger: you need to edit your post to explain not to download it if you already CL_2010_03_17_15_26.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DO NOT DOWNLOAD this installer if you have CL_2010_03_17_15_26!!! It will make you download the 10 GB game file again. I just did this and boy am I screwed.

coderanger: you need to edit your post to explain not to download it if you already CL_2010_03_17_15_26.

I was suspicious that might be the case, I'm sorry to hear that has happened to you. This is a rather nasty bug that needs immediate attention especially for those that have bandwidth limits.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I ran it and it worked fine; it didn't re-download the game for me. I ran it hoping it would fix the stupid 16MB patch issue I get every time I start the launcher, but it didn't.

I get the pre-patch window popping up every time I exit the game, but it just goes away after a minute or two after it realizes the prepatch data is already there.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BEHAVIOUR PATTERN:

Launcher Version: CL_2010_03_17_15_26

On the 17th, when I quit the game, I got my 2gig download without problem.
    On the 18th, when I quit the game, I got ANOTHER 2 gig download, which I assume has replaced the first one.

QUESTIONS:

A) How am I supposed to work out whether I have already downloaded the current patch or whether the version you are giving me today is different to the one I downloaded yesterday?

B) Is this actually a dev error, and have I indeed downloaded the same 2 gig patch file twice?

C) Assuming I have now exceeded my monthly download data limit through NO FAULT OF MY OWN - do you intend to reimburse me for the costs incurred? Make no mistake - if your sloppy dev work is the cause of my internet account getting speed-limited and I have to upgrade to the next data DL plan, I will be sending you the bill.

D) Assuming you will do the same thing you always do if I bother to lodge a ticket, (ie nothing) will cancelling the download the next time this happens (oh and it will...) bugger up the patch file such that I will have to download it a THIRD time when the content is ready to launch?

RAGING FLAME:

I am a lifetime subscriber who has played since Open Beta. I came to STO bright eyed and bushy tailed full of hope and enthusiasm for the game. I was prepared to forgive quite a lot really and I have been doing so (way more than most people would normally forgive) becoz I adore Star Trek. That is until now. Becoz you already knew all this in advance. You knew you'd be able to take us all for a ride. You have. For me, this duplicated patch download is the last straw.

Since Open Beta you say that you have squashed countless bugs - well I dont see it. In my opinion the game STILL HAS WAY TOO MANY BUGS for retail release. Clearly it was released due to market pressure as it has been so anticipated by so many people for so long. Well thats fine, you took my preorder money and you took my lifetime subscription FOR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD STILL BE IN OPEN BETA and now you are gonna wear the flames.

All I see is a company that released a game too early coz getting its hands on quick cash was more important than getting the product stabilised to a retail standard. You made all these promises about pre-order in-game bonuses so us gullible Trekkies lapped it up, parted with our cash only to be "underwhelmed" by what we got in return. As for lifetime subscription - congratulations - that was a master stroke. You knew in advance that large numbers of altruistic Trekkies would throw their money away on the premise that the game would continue to exist for (cough) a lifetime... We all had such high hopes.

But alas.. Some of us are now starting to see Cryptic for what it truly is. There were those that came before us and flamed you much earlier than me. Even I defended you then - it's too early we said - give them a chance. So we did - and you blew it.

You continue to show scant regard for the costs each and every game subscriber is burdened with. The Free Offer on the Atari Site revealed quite a bit about that didnt it? Ok kids, now that we have your money, here is the REAL value of what you paid for... ZIP... NADA... NOTHING... Feel taken advantage of yet? You should. Trust is a valuable thing. Trekkies have it in abundance coz we just love the art - we are here for the experience. You knew that all along and I am sure that it is why you felt you could trick us all into paying way more than we should have on a product that only the Ferengi would have released in it's current form.

When I send you a bill for exceeding my download limit I will do so becoz you - Cryptic - betrayed me. Your sub-standard development work - your inability to get the simple, important things right, continues to cost me money. You took my pre-order money under false pretenses - the bonuses were TRIBBLE and by the time I actually got them my toon had progressed to a level where they were completely worthless. You tricked me into believing that you were as trustworthy as all those involved in the Star Trek brand to date. I believed that a lifetime subscription actually meant that I was supporting something worth supporting. How naive.

I realise now that this game will not be around in two years let alone a lifetime. Maybe the fine-print on the lifetime subscription deal was in dog years? And now the last straw. As I sit here with my internet speed-limited, the other people in my home who rely on that same internet dump on me every time they see me about how trusting I am and how easily taken advantage of I am - and how they have no internet now coz I was stupid. Exceeding my download limits means my ISP speed limits my cable broadband internet down to dialup speeds for a month. That is, until I can come up with the cash to upgrade to a higher, more expensive plan with a higher download limit. As soon as I pay the money, my ISP will restore my broadband within 15 minutes. But alas, my bank account is empty, coz....

S T A R . T R E K . O N L I N E . S T O L E . A L L . M Y . M O N E Y ! ! ! !

:mad:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not exactly sure why but I am no longer having to re-download the prepatch every time, so that's good. But I still get the 16MB patch every time I launch the game after having it quit it previously. I used X to see what was going on and it looks like a bunch of wtex files.

My launcher is the same as others here, CL_2010_03_17_15_26, and I see ct=208.95.185.169
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Did you re-install to a different folder than you used originally? Or did you uninstall first? Either of those would do bad things.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Version CL_2010_03_17_15_26

Downloads 16mb patch every time the game is started and re-downloads the entire 2gig patch when i exit the game.

Solutions?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, so lets divide this into two things. RE: the 16MB patch; can you run the launcher with -verbose on the command line to enable the patchxfer.log logging. This will log exactly what files it is transferring. You can look at that file after it does the 16MB download and see what files it is grabbing?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here's what I got (pasting what I believe is pertinent info):

100303 17:29:27 1 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.manifest write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.manifest
    100303 17:29:27 2 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.filespec write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec
    100303 17:29:28 3 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec size=1371 crc=0
    100303 17:29:28 4 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec successful
    100303 21:31:49 1 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.manifest write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.manifest
    100303 21:31:49 2 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.filespec write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec
    100303 21:31:50 3 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec size=1371 crc=0
    100303 21:31:50 4 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec successful
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    what about the 200mb file everytime I exit the game it pops up I'm pretty sure i have the up to date flie but just wondering if i need to let that load up to?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My suggestion: Keep cancelling that patch for now. You can, otherwise, still run STO without it for now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Okay, so lets divide this into two things. RE: the 16MB patch; can you run the launcher with -verbose on the command line to enable the patchxfer.log logging. This will log exactly what files it is transferring. You can look at that file after it does the 16MB download and see what files it is grabbing?

I've added the -verbose to the advanced command line and I don't get anything new added to patchxfer.log.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've added the -verbose to the advanced command line and I don't get anything new added to patchxfer.log.
    It has to be on the the command line for the launcher itself. You can do this by editing your shortcut.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wrote:
    Here's what I got (pasting what I believe is pertinent info):

100303 17:29:27 1 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.manifest write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.manifest
    100303 17:29:27 2 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.filespec write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec
    100303 17:29:28 3 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec size=1371 crc=0
    100303 17:29:28 4 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec successful
    100303 21:31:49 1 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.manifest write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.manifest
    100303 21:31:49 2 [1]: xferStart: get=StartrekClient.filespec write=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec
    100303 21:31:50 3 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec size=1371 crc=0
    100303 21:31:50 4 [1]: xferWriteFileToDisk: fname=D:/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/.patch/StartrekClient.filespec successful
    Those are the files it downloads every time to check if it is up to date, no where near 16MB though.