What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gameplay Trailer Available!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I must say that I'm looking forward to learn more about the game play. Graphics are ok but the game play is the key. I really hope they can make some missions that don't repeat them selfs.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Overall:

Characters / uniforms:
    Animation felt stiff and I didn't see any facial motion at all. I'm assuming there will be much more done here...

:D

This is the part I am definitely worried about. I took a break from World of Warcraft to play City of Heroes/Villians and was really turned off by the wooden features. My characters didn't seem to have any personality at all. No facial expressions, nothing. It was like going back to Everquest. So when I heard that Cryptic was taking over the license, I had my doubts. Here's hoping that the wooden characters are because of early development and not just poor design quality/laziness, because I've been excited about this game since I first heard about it a couple years ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    this is how it feelt to me after viewing it a few times.

1. wow.....ewwwwww...
    2. hmmm.... maybe....ewwww...
    3. wow, this is actully pretty sweet.
    4. taking screens from the trialer fort he guild, AWSOME!

i must say that taking screens from the vid and looking at them actully gives a better understanding of the grafic and made it look better.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can't wait to set up a fleet with my friends and invade someone lol
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    hey does anyone know when wil game be up? maybe right date or just make a guess?? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Look great just watch the vedio a few min ago :):):)

-=IKF=-Divok*HC
    House of Kor
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok the trailer was amazing but PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! CHANGE THE UNIFORMS!!!! Not to complain a lot but the uniforms that P3 had designed were better looking. The ones you are thinking of using look HORRIBLE. I never liked the ones P3 designed either so i think the best way to go is to use the SAME uniform that they used in the last movies and ds9. I think the game looks awesome and i cant wait to kill klingons invading my bridge. LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Game play looks amazing, and space looks beautiful, Can't wait!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What else can be said but "WOW!" One point though, I hope it is just a marketing thing that there was a lot of emphasis on battling - and that there will be plenty of true Star Trekesque gameplay...sans shoot-everyone up... I really hope I don't have to wait more than a year for this...

I agree. There was far too much emphasis on combat in this trailer for me. I realize that an early stage of the game is probably going to involve making sure combat works properly, but if there isn't an opportunity to actually use diplomacy in most situations, I will be very disappointed. A Star Trek shoot-em-up game with other people is still a Star Trek shoot-em-up game, and that's just not true to the spirit of Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    *all tingly with a big TRIBBLE$3d grin*

and only 3 micro nitpicks

1: Klingon disruptors do not sound like starfleet phasers
    2: gotta get rid of lense flare. after all, you don't see it IRL, do you? unless you have a camera lens glued to your face. wait, that's the borg so maybe you would
    3: the graphics are really great, but too cartoony/comicbook like. could be toned down a bit
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really want the uniforms from First Contact / DS9.....The ones they showed look HORRIBLE. Maybe they will let users pick their uniform (like different eras uniforms).....its gonna be a carnival of Starfleet uniforms but ohh well....my crew will be the only one in the whole Federation to look decent. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    here.....the uniforms i want...

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ine/index.html

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/s..._contact_1.jpg

These are the uniforms that ROCK!!!!!

C'mon Cryptic at least give us that!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have watched the trailer numerous times since it was released and I always enjoy every second of it! I think Cryptic is doing a great job with the game and they also did a great job putting the first gameplay footage together in a way that makes the community excited!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All I can say is...oh, my. :eek:

You know that trailer is going to be dissected frame by frame to gain clues to everything from races to ship configurations.

STO has definitely arrived!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I will say this about the uniforms. I appreciate the argument that this is a different time frame where we could see a shift in uniform style, but we've seen in three different occasions in "canon" ("All Good Things" "Timeless" & "Endgame") the future style uniforms from this time frame. Everyone can argue that there were from altered futures... and that much is true, however, those are from three vastly different futures yet they all had the same uniform style. When we think this time period, it's those future style uniforms. So should they re-create some new uniforms for the sake of changing it? I don't think so. To me it's a copout that pulls from the realism of the game. In the future, are future Trek developers going to look at this game as providing it's own sort of canon? Or just making changes where it wanted to for the hell of it? I think there's some amount of respect for what's been established that just can't be overlooked. Thoughts? Or am I aimlessly ranting? haha :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    :) gameplay in trailer is a nice taster ...look forward to more .. and more ...ane more!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The uniforms are my favourite part of what we've seen so far. Slick, sharp, practical -- certainly more Starfleet than one-piece jumpsuits, and the white collars/cuffs seem like the perfect addition. I'm really fond of them.
    lompocus wrote: »
    Well, it looks like it's going to be even more kick-TRIBBLE than perpetual's game. Unfourtunately...the graphics are worse than World of Warcraft.
    :eek: I wouldn't go that far, but I essentially agree.

In space, it is possible to do so much better, even with a very low system requirement target. Point in case: EVE. Dense planetary environments are another matter, but I expected better of space.

Then again, I suppose it would feel very strange if objects in space looked much better than everything else. Hm.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They should have gotten patrick Stewart or Mr Nimoy to do the voice over.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Really excited by this trailer!

....wait....not like "that"!

Aww you know what I mean..
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I will say this about the uniforms. I appreciate the argument that this is a different time frame where we could see a shift in uniform style, but we've seen in three different occasions in "canon" ("All Good Things" "Timeless" & "Endgame") the future style uniforms from this time frame. Everyone can argue that there were from altered futures... and that much is true, however, those are from three vastly different futures yet they all had the same uniform style. When we think this time period, it's those future style uniforms. So should they re-create some new uniforms for the sake of changing it? I don't think so. To me it's a copout that pulls from the realism of the game. In the future, are future Trek developers going to look at this game as providing it's own sort of canon? Or just making changes where it wanted to for the hell of it? I think there's some amount of respect for what's been established that just can't be overlooked. Thoughts? Or am I aimlessly ranting? haha :D

Jordan i agree with your point of view. No matter what timeline seems like Starfleet will eventually adopt the uniform weve seen in eps like timeless and endgame......tho i must say that i really dont like those uniforms and com badge.....to me they are horrible and i was JUST so glad they were from futures that were distorted. ALSO remember in timeless how we saw Captain laforge wearing the uniform from first contact BUT with the combadge of end game!? so i think it is plausable to have the first contact uniform on the game. what you think??
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is an amazing trailer. I simply cannot wait!

Please make alot of stuff from Voyager, they are the best series! that everyone loves!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mr_Tuvok wrote: »
    This is an amazing trailer. I simply cannot wait!

Please make alot of stuff from Voyager, they are the best series! that everyone loves!

LOL Agreed Mr Tuvok. Im already planning to get my own Intrepid class starship and name it Voyager NCC 74656-F hahaha Intrepid is the best ship of the fleet....sovering class? give me a break!! hahaha

No but i really wish they make TONS of Voy stuff.......like missions to recue tuvok ( He will still be alive 30 years after nemesis.....) or idk what other cool stuff. I hope the make the intrepid class starship easy to acquire and upgrade...there are several improvements i already want for my Voyager lol.

Another thing....you think you will be able to control even the micro systems!?!? like the gravity plating on the ship. I ask cause ive always had this idea of augmenting the gravity plating of the decks when you are getting boarded....OR deactivating the life support systems (that will kill your crew tho..) but yeah. Im scared that klingos are gonna attack mer and board my beautiful Intrepid bridge so im already thinking how to kill them BEFORE they get there...well given they manage to board my ship
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So will STO be 50%+ combat? The gameplay video shows basically nothing but fighting, probably not the best way to win over finicky ST fans considering ST was about 10-25% violence out of all its films and tv incarnations...I think I'd have rather seen a narrated gameplay video demoing non-combat systems.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    im so happy cant wait for sto to come out :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I am generally looking forward to this game (though I would look forward to it even more if it was moddable - *hint-hint*), but I am so far unimpressed with the new designs presented in the trailer and screenshots. I haven't had the time to fully read through everything on the trailer, etc., so if they're only temporary, or still WIP, forgive me, but I feel that this image, which a friend put together based on my comments on another forum, sums up my opinions on the new ships pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean any offense to the developers or the modelers or the artists who created the design, it's just that tweaking an existing design, slapping on a bunch of greebles and widgets, and throwing in a couple fins and a spoiler does not equal a good starship design. Far be it for me to presume that my humble opinion holds any weight, but I would strongly urge the developers to scrap that design concept all together, and create something original, or at least something that comes somewhere close to being streamlined, and I fervently hope that, through my influence or not, that comes to pass.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I must say, after playing CoH for close to 4 years, I grew to not exactly like the way Jack Emmert does things. But after watching the video and him answering questions, I actually think he is the perfect man for the job.

Also, Craig was it? You nerf my characters and I will personally send you a rotten egg! Haha, j/k.

Really looking forward to the release of this game. Glad Jack is on the job.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't wanna knock the game play footage but it's kinda cartoonish. CoH engine? I really was hoping for more realistic looking gameplay. I understand the having it play on "regular" computers, so i hope the immersion and gameplay make up.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well if they want to make it for all computers (Or a vast majority of them) cartoony is what your going to get. But looking at the trailer, it looks great. As much as realism is pretty cool in a game, it's still a game and I don't mind cartoony to be honest. Mechanics and Gameplay are much more important.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just watched the trailer,...wow in 1280x720 it looks awesome. There's really
    not much I don't like about it. This is going to be a great game if the get the game
    play and AI done well.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    hy alll cool the best