What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gameplay Trailer Available!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    What are your thoughts on the uniforms that we saw a glimpse of? I noticed how the rank pips were large to make it easier to determine rank from distance I suppose. Seems like a step in between the First Contact era uniforms and the traditional "future" uniforms we saw in All Good Things & Endgame.

Speaking of, Endgame was set in the year 2404 by which time the Federation had adopted the new style uniforms. How come the characters aren't wearing them?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This looks very promising. The trailer left me wanting more! :p
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As far as the different looks go...I think everyone should remember that the game takes place 30 years after Nemesis and later than any of the future time line episodes took place (and even in those episodes the time line was usually altered, especially in All good things. There's been ample time for the federation to institute new uniforms, rank pips and what not. Personally I think it was a good idea to put the game in this time period because it would allow for changes like this (some which might be needed for game play reasons..like noticeable pips) as well as opening up all kinds of avenues for events and storylines which are not restricted by already established events (ie: SWG being perpetually stranded in the events after a new hope...and never able to really move out of that)

I mean the uniforms in the Trek shows often changed in look from movie to movie, season to season (traditional uniforms, to all black with colored shoulders, to black and grey with colored shirt beneath and so on...I still like TOS'S uniforms from the movies to be honest :P ) So really it shouldn't be a big surprise....and I think it's a pretty acceptable thing to do, and the changes are subtle enough to not be unreasonable.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    kryton wrote: »
    The only thing i dont like right now is the fact your BRIDGE CREW ARE NPC'S come one i want my friends on my bridge i want my crew made of REAL people. :(

the Movie clip looks good, and for all those that DONT like it i mean get a grip it isnt in BETA yet. Having tested MANY games in beta i know what you get then and what is released can be HUGELY diffrent. Im sure the res isnt maxed and the textures are not set to what they will be.

Dont bash a EARLY clip just let it have a chance to GROW

Well... of course you're right... It might be a bit early to bash a not yet finished product, but in comparisson...
    The Trailer of Star Trek XI looks amazing and it is a very early look into the final product, too.
    It is just a bad feeling I have about STO, after looking those to much saturated ingame shots...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my only concer is that running a starship is going to require too much micro management. I hope I'm wrong, otherwise the trailer was simply amazing. I didn't like city of heroes or evil but I always lauded the way cryptic did things, they are very true to the genres they work in and I think they are going to do trek the justice alot of game published havent. I hope to god it comes out near or just after the new movie so it spurrs alot of interest
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can't wait too! It's looking really amazing! Hope the game play will be amazing too. This will be my first MMO :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    First of all, have to say the gameplay trailer is amazing. I cant wait.

Ive been looking everywhere for pc specs needed for the game. Does anyone know the recommended requirements?

Also heard this is going to be on console, does anyone know which one?

When is the game due to release?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Srathod1 wrote: »
    First of all, have to say the gameplay trailer is amazing. I cant wait.

Ive been looking everywhere for pc specs needed for the game. Does anyone know the recommended requirements?

Also heard this is going to be on console, does anyone know which one?

When is the game due to release?

First I would like to say for an alpha build of the game and only 6 months work done to it, it looks pretty good. I do hope though it will pick up and graphically become as good as Eve online for example.

Strahod: The game has only been in development for 6 months and probably wont be out for a minimum of 1 yr, so requirements, etc have not been thought about. I would suggest searching the forums for answers to the other questions.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not concerned about the graphics at this point. I'm really more interested about how the gameplay will be shaping up. I really hope they pull off something amazing here.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    maybe its just me but I'm getting tired of hearing all the complaining. No mmo is ever goign to live up to everyones standards, but for once why can't the trek community stop bickering over banal things like uniforms and graphics and finally embrace the fact that a 25 yr old liscence is getting new life, a new move and a virtual world the likes of which we as gamers and fans could be proud of. I've tinkered with basically everry trek game there ever was, and can understand the pessimistic attitude after seen so many devs turn the liscence into a joke. But, cryptic is taking this seriously and maybe its about time the hardcore fan boys just stop nit picking and join the excitemnt for once.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Looks great guys. I was a big fan of your work on City of Heroes/Villians , and was looking forward to Champions. However as a Trek fan I was blown away when I heard Cryptic got the license. Can not wait to try it out with my friends. The rest of my gaming life may end when it comes out :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think people are being overly critical about the graphics in the new video.

Seriously, cryptic has had the IP for months, not years.

Frankly, they could be better, but I was actually quite impressed and pleased with the graphics and general outlook for the game so far.

Which the new video left me quite excited for more.

I want more!

STO's graphics won't have to be perfect, and the game/graphics engine can always been upgraded down the road; like EVE did w/ Trinity.

I hope people with be more optimistic; what the heck is graphics anyway w/out awesome game play.

The graphics looks awesome, lets move on; imo. :cool:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    awsome :)

i really like how the game looks atm. i like the style of the graphics and it looks like i won't need to upgrade my systems hardware :P

i'm looking forward seeing more of this game. what i saw rocked but i want more!

greetz
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I definitly LOVE these Graphics, they somehow remind me of the good old Animated Series
    I'm looking forward to it and can't wait for it much longer :p
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Looks pretty awesome to me, I will play :)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bin totel begeistert!!!

Hoffendlich dauert es nicht mehr lang und erscheind kommt das Spiel auch in Deutsch!

Lebt lang und erfolgreich!:)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    looking REALLY good......... Time to roll a Klingon :P
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is looking nice, a good start from Cryptic. I am assuming that the fight sequences are a part of the game, and not THE game.

AB
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh My that looks AWESOME! I can't wait till it's released. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I had a geek moment from watching that trailer :)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Firstly great stuff in the video demo:)
    Now to see if any questions where answered?

Okay so we all start at a low officer rank and command our our ship. Not at the Captain rank.
    progress through the game, players can increase in rank and gain larger vessels and more crew
    Does this crew act like pets in other MMOs?
    -Yes
    Does leading a crew mean you can only have a Command career? As in you can't be a medical or science, etc career?
    -No. Every player will have a specialy like medician or security, etc.
    Will there be no classes, save for maybe crew members?
    -Specialies not classes from the sound of it.

Is it just me or does this sound like Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising, to anyone else, being that you lead a crew and not just one player character at a time? This is not a bad thing IMO I like this idea a lot.
    what do you all think? was Cryptic inspired by PE's other canceled game?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    From the video iI can see about STO from the Q and A video:
    STO will be out after April '09 and less then 3 years.
    Ships blow up, not sure if those are player or NPC ships though.
    Starfleet is more ranged focus versus IKD's melee, but they both use ranged combat.
    Holographic crew?! yes, but limited play, like maybe just on the bridge.
    Holodecks FTW!
    Perma death with cridet charges!? lol jk;) the death system woundn't be harsh to players.
    Hand drawn animation.
    No grind fest? it will be fun at least.
    Dynamic events, players action effect the galaxy it seems.
    Starfleet versus IDK (Klingons)
    Team-ups with iother players a must for some missions.
    Specialties are like jobs/classes.
    Combat not like other MMOs and space combat is strategic.
    They what one large server for everyone to play.
    You can go on ither peoples ships, but not a game play element.

Not a level based MMORPG?!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Looks amazing so far. Good work Cryptic. Really glad you guys took the reigns on this project.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So far I am impressed with the way it looks. I would have liked to have seen a UI, but this was a nice taster. I am looking forward to this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I 've got a megaton of questions also!!! Will there be a first person third person switch? Will we be able to pick up and use weapons, sensor equipment , etc...? Can we help with creating and molding new lifeforms? The initial trailer looks great at high res., It would be great to approach a station on ship and have the control panel come up!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    YAY!!!!!! Come with it, I'm ready :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How do I make the dowloads
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's kick butt !!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not going to lie, I'm not loving what I saw in this trailer - but I saw from the webcast that this isn't necessarily going to be a project about fancy graphics but more about the functionality required for an authentic Star Trek, online experience, which I think may turn out to be a success - in all the other games we're limited as to what we can do but we are visually amazed (sometimes ;)) - but that gets boring after a while.

Having said that, this is early days and I'm sure the end result will be one which is of a good standard - having seen other works.

What I do love about the STO team is that you actually seem to be Trek fans, rather than generic game developers - that should see to the canon side of things (w00t!) and deliver the best ST experience possible!

-Good luck Cryptic!-
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    those pretty graphics will be very taxing to the system, anyone know anything about the specs req?