Options

state of ground combat

2»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @onetontoad said:
    > that weapon disserpearing bug is one that irratatess me the most ,u in armed state you use a skill and your weapon disserpears putting u you in unarmed state.fire you weapon and it magically appears ,it looks really awful . Never used to be like this ,charater used to hold their weapon up and axcess the holo control panel then put the weapon down to continue firing . Yes its cosmetic (untill your team dont rearm themselfs),Personally think this stuff is important.

What the flipping hell are you talking about? Nothing like that happens ever.
    A minor visual glitch that you only notice if you don't fire your weapon often enough. :p

Seriously, fire(gun appears), use skill(depending on animation gun may disappear), now your gun is gone until you fire it again. That's it, it just stops drawing your gun.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    My weapons are always hidden except in combat. Carrying a Boolean Cannon slung over the back at ESD shows no decorum at all. What is this the wild, wild west? ;)

I believe what he is talking about is having the weapon poised for combat, when you activate a grenade, for example, the grenade throwing animation kicks in, and the weapon disappears while that animation is running. The weapon then reappears after the other animation completes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    My weapons are always hidden except in combat. Carrying a Boolean Cannon slung over the back at ESD shows no decorum at all. What is this the wild, wild west? ;)

I believe what he is talking about is having the weapon poised for combat, when you activate a grenade, for example, the grenade throwing animation kicks in, and the weapon disappears while that animation is running. The weapon then reappears after the other animation completes.
    No, what he's talking about is the weapon doesn't always reappear.
  • Options
    onetontoadonetontoad Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    it doesnt reappear ever,try it, push b to go into shooter mode,use a skill say mines for example and ur weapon will vanish untill u shoot again,it looked way way better 2 years ago before this happened, I love STO but aesthetics mean a lot to me in games ,I know some ppl will not care but its just opinion really.
    mc7SA5g.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    onetontoad wrote: »
    it doesnt reappear ever,try it, push b to go into shooter mode,use a skill say mines for example and ur weapon will vanish untill u shoot again,it looked way way better 2 years ago before this happened, I love STO but aesthetics mean a lot to me in games ,I know some ppl will not care but its just opinion really.
    In other news, Sompek is coming. Time to brush up your ground game. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

pr1C8lG.jpg

HiNZEGC.jpg

QCF5zJI.jpg

ID7q9yV.jpg

All ready to go. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

I've done some preparing on the one I'm taking in. I think he just might hold his own even if ground isn't my favorite.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Cryptic and PWE cannot be held responsible for players not being able to comprehend pre-school level education that ground combat is simplified into. The aiming of your weapon thru default key X increases your damage output as well as flanking damage occurs from firing your weapon to the left, right, or rear of your target. Also the expose mechanic is when the little box on your expose attacks flash really fast to let you know that if you flank with that expose its going to do major damage.

So this has taken a whole decade and people still haven't learned but get to a flanking position left, right, or rear press X and fire the blinking thing. They aren't leaving ground combat to ruin they are just leaving ppl who can't grasp that strategy to ruin because they are not going invest time and money into something that players don't even know how to play.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    flanking does not apply on the left or right anymore - that either got broken (or more likely - nerfed) a while ago

only the rear works for flanking anymore​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Also the expose mechanic is when the little box on your expose attacks flash really fast to let you know that if you flank with that expose its going to do major damage.

If only the flash would stop if there is no enemy left ...

But yeah, graphical glitches can be annoying, but certainly not as much as actual gameplay glitches.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    There are less buttons to push for ground combat. Not sure how much they could do to make it exciting other than a total overhaul of the system. I'm fine with how it is. Ground should be more for moving a story/narrative, imo, and combat being of secondary importance.
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    I never seem to have a problem with ground combat with the exception of the weapons disappearing thing as they sometimes DON'T come back for my bridge officers with me and they are then forced to fight hand to hand (I've already filed tickets on this but the issue gets danced around) for the remainder of the battle sequence. I can get their weapons back sometimes by holstering then re-drawing my weapon/s (I use dual Nauscican pistols or the big Herald stick mostly). This is weird because every other ticket I've ever filed has always been met with kind and curtious helpful service with the exception of this one weapon issue. It may be that it is some sort of bug they just don't quite have a handle on yet. So far I haven't died because of it so I can live with it for now. :)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Today is a total Ground day for my Endeavors.

Kill Dewan Anthropods
    Kill Vaadwaur in the BZ
    Kill Tholians on Nakura

I haven't seen any display issues.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    that weapon disserpearing bug is one that irratatess me the most ,u in armed state you use a skill and your weapon disserpears putting u you in unarmed state.fire you weapon and it magically appears ,it looks really awful . Never used to be like this ,charater used to hold their weapon up and axcess the holo control panel then put the weapon down to continue firing . Yes its cosmetic (untill your team dont rearm themselfs),Personally think this stuff is important.

True, especially since hitting the fire button does not always automatically re-arm and you have to force it with a weapon swap or other kludge which wastes valuable time. Also, the unarmed/armed state change sometimes lags which is a shorter delay than having to swap but still annoying.
  • Options
    onetontoadonetontoad Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    the base gameplay of ground is fine ,its fun when it gets chaotic and it is harder than space to learn in general.Once you learn how your skills work its amazing and to me just as good as space. I just wish it got more attention in refinement ,fixing minor glitches,bugs,visual glitches etc, I mean how long has it been since anything was mention in the patchnotes about fixing anything ground related.
    mc7SA5g.jpg
This discussion has been closed.