test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do YOU not play different queues/content in the game?

Comments

• Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Other reason.
    a combination of several factors listed
    • Bugs leaving missions impossible to finish.
    • Bad or Boring mission design.
    • Seeing a lack of players queuing puts me off doing so myself.
    • I can get rewards easier elsewhere (RA's, Admiralty, DOFFS)
    • Rewards are not worth the time/effort/investment required to get them.
    • Rewards are too small full stop.
    varies from queue to queue as to the reason

Pretty much exactly this. Any queue/task force type system is inherently repetitive. If it is repetitive, then over time, I will note which ones are too challenging for some PUGs, which ones can fail due to poor design, which ones bug out and waste your time.

Seeing too few in a queue means I will have to wait to long for it, then it will tend to pop at 'exactly the wrong time' while I am busy at something else, and I will have to decline it.

In general, I am 'ok' with reward levels, but it is true that the math is pretty simple - if I can get more and better rewards, more reliably, doing something else, then the lower-reward queues will drop off the list.

"New content" is something you play for fun/exploration/challenge. "Repeat this older content over and over again for rewards to advance your character" is, by definition, grind. Nobody plays a queue 300 times because it is 'fun' after 300 times. The best you can hope for is that it is at least not totally boring and painful by then.

I play Borg and Tholian RA fairly often, for instance, because they are reliably quick - if I have just 15 minutes at the computer, I know I can be in and out, and get some Doffing/Admiralty in. They are also just slightly variable enough (due to random team makeup and mob behaviour) that so long as I am only doing a couple a day, they don't feel exactly the same.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It depends on the queue ,but often it isbecause I don't like spending time on it because it requires more attention or time than I have available at the time.
    And then there are the ones that are bugged or it takes too long for what it pays out, without being particular entertaining.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Rewards are not worth the time/effort/investment required to get them.
    Mostly it's time investment to rewards, but some queues I don't play simply because they aren't fun. Anything Tzenkethi-related, for instance: they're just frustrating to fight.

Core Assault is kind of a weird one. I actually really love it, but it's hard to get it to pop because of the group size needed. Two of the three times I played it, I put a group of friends together that were willing to wait for pugs to sign up on the other side. It probably needs a big rewards buff.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Because other games are much more fun after having played STO a ton and the same exact content over and over a million times.

I enjoy PVP because there's an endless skill ceiling and room to improve, it always offers something new (endless combinations of strategies and gear and players), and there's real team coordination, communication, team work, while STO plays mostly like a single player game with others under layers of light shows and unresponsive controls.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    I dislike the queues in their entirety.
    They're junk that's why.
  • Options
    chesswizardgmchesswizardgm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Seeing a lack of players queuing puts me off doing so myself.
    I voted other reason, because of the negative feedback you invariably gte if you don't know the queue. and please, don't give me the "watch youtube" excuse. i don't wath youtube for a damn thing. if my fellow players can't be helpful then they can **** themselves when they ragequit because the optional failed
    I totally agree with you here, a lack of knowledge with optionals that can fail missions at elite level is annoying, I think each Queue should have a manual attached to it explaining the mission in short detail, how and where to find the optionals with ideas on how to complete said optional, I use to love playing Borg ground elites but no-one knew the optionals so had lots of fails with PUGS. especially manus infected rescuing the guards (got so bad they took it off elite list) I wish they would put it back to elite coz it's no fun at any less level. It should be an easy fix, like I said a manual to each Queue, Also explain to people why we elite, THE SALVAGE TECH MAKES U TONNES OF EC through R&D and crafting. I've managed to get one of my chars all the lobi gear with opening boxes buying keys just coz I elite and all my gear epic coz of the experimental upgrades.

• Options
    chesswizardgmchesswizardgm Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    So for those of you saying the rewards are too small don't understand the idea of salvage tech I'm guessing, I have made 100's of millions with the salvage tech from elite queues enabling me to buy keys to get all the lobi gear, I make experimental upgrades that I either use to upgrade mk2 gear into epic or simply sell experimental upgrades at the exchange. The rewards are rich when you know how :wink:
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Other reason.
    Poor design, queue does not pop - time-gated ones are less fun, if difficult to pull off and fails then no reward despite effort, and I don't have super long playing time....
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    thelematikerthelematiker Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Other reason.
    Different reasons.
    I haven´t played a lot of queues because they don´t pop (or will in 30-60 min maybe, I can use that time for other things like BZ and so on).

Boring design: That temporal thingy with the warp core (don´t know the name). Played it once, will never again. Also Elachi Alert, not sure why people like it. Azure Nebula too, because of the spawns of ships to rescue. Currently its just wait to end.

Sometimes too hard if you don´t know what to do / not enough Firepower, leaving people (Gravity Kills, Procyon V). Played both once, will probably never again (with that random system maybe, but I´m feared of it^^)

Bugged or poor reward: Azure Nebula (poor reward without the optionals and I don´t even know if its a better reward if you would achieve the optional) Dranuur Gauntlet too? (not sure, but there have to be a reason why I don´t play it anymore)

Inconsistent difficulties: Swarm Advanced: K, Counterpoint: You get killed really fast sometimes already on normal (or I played maybe advanced, not sure), Borg ones are ok i think, Undine too. Gravity Kills and Procyon on normal harder then some advanced ones. At least thats my feeling, have maybe to try again but the first time of Gravity and Procyon felt so horrible I have no intention for it. Depends maybe on the mission type / spawn rates itself.

I´m only playing the Swarm (cause the BZ was / is bugged and I tried it then) and sometimes now Undine Assault. Played Counterpoint with that Endeavor, besides that it takes me too long to pop. I also played Dranuur Gauntlet a few times, but Red Alert is faster (now I have to rethink^^). I am also playing the Event Queues now, because the event reward is acc wide now. Before I never played them or only if I have a potential use for the reward. Too much to do...

Didn´t even tried a lot of queues because the ones I tried never popped or they are the competitive ones. Most of the time i get / got my marks from Battlezones & Adventure Zones (Nukara, Romulus etc.) CCA for fleet and / or Nukara. The rest from Red Alerts (Lukari, Borg & Competitive, sometimes Delta Iconian).
  • Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Other reason.
    I'm bored of playing the same content over and over again. I keep coming back because I love Trek.
  • Options
    stardustt2101stardustt2101 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Can I go with all of the above? Everyone's pretty much said and rehashed and rerehashed all the same reasons I have for NOT queueing for much. It takes too long, rewards don't scale, people ragequit when they miss an optional, the effing timegates in elite queues... like some have said, I don't care for ground, and tactics wise many of them are just stupid. I can deal with a challenge, but if I can only do certain queues with certain ships, else I get slaughtered over and over again, there's no fun in that. Be nice to see queues scaled down to appeal more to casual players instead of those who grind for the BEST GEAR OF THE WEEK or whatever.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Other reason.
    a combination of several factors listed
    • Bugs leaving missions impossible to finish.
    • Bad or Boring mission design.
    • Seeing a lack of players queuing puts me off doing so myself.
    • I can get rewards easier elsewhere (RA's, Admiralty, DOFFS)
    • Rewards are not worth the time/effort/investment required to get them.
    • Rewards are too small full stop.
    varies from queue to queue as to the reason

I have to agree, if only in principle at least. Some of the reasons overlap, some do not.

Missions that are bugged like the non-event Breach with its +10 dread. Azure Nebula where if you get hit with the rescue ships not spawning means you just sit in the queue for 10+ minutes with nothing to do AND your end reward takes a hit through no fault of your own.

When I decide to run queues, I look to see what ones are at least showing some interest. I typically only run Normal so the list generally shows "0". Of course, there are the typical RA's and CCA that always have folks queued, but if I see a Hive or Conduit with some folks, or Counterpoint or Borg Disconnected showing at least a glimmer, I queue up for those. I used to look for Miner Instabilities from time to time, but, "nobody likes ground queues" so I gave up. Same with the Competitive queues. I LOVE Binary Circuit and can at least stand Twin Tribulations, but they rarely have any interest shown them, let alone actually START anymore.

Rewards for some queues are simply not worth the trouble, at least as far as mark payout goes. Azure Nebula and either of the Iconian space queues are ones that spring to mind as low payout for time invested. And especially with Azure Nebula being somewhat dependent on rescuing ships that simply may not spawn. But even when it goes well and I've been on teams that rescue 30+ points worth of ships, the most I've gotten I believe is like 24 marks. Pathetic. Dil rewards are fine as far as I'm concerned, but if there was an increase, I wouldn't complain.

I'm not exactly a social butterfly, but I can co-exist with fellow players in queues most times. Always annoying though when you get one of those kinds of players that if you don't do things exactly their way, they let you know about it. And sometimes even carry that harassment outside the queue itself. But this is a rare thing and not something Cryptic can realistically control. Still, it is an aspect related to the queue system so, I at least mentioned it.

All the time gates, good grief. Let us skip the opening cut-scenes and briefings. If the entire team opts out, like is possible with Borg Disconnected, let the queue start right up. Mandatory wait times kill fun almost as fast as bugged content. I understand wanting to inform players about the queue they are doing. But once a player has run a queue once, allow them to skip the cut-scene/briefing. And if the entire team skips, then get right into the action.

I see a some folks basically saying that the RA's are "for lazy people". I play on normal by choice. I have some physical limitations that don't allow me to have the quickest or most accurate reflexes. I know my limits, so I generally steer clear of advanced content due to not wanting to drag others down. I've been told in the past to go ahead and queue for the higher level stuff, that the good players can carry me. While probably true, I don't feel comfortable doing that. Especially considering I'd probably end up dying a lot and accruing injuries that would further hamper my ability to contribute. So that means my avenues for getting marks was sometimes limited to doing RA's for the marks I need since getting most Normal queues to start is difficult at times.

I queue for more things than the RA's, it's just that they tend to start first. Once I've cycled those, I still queue for Borg Disconnected and other Borg stuff, Counterpoint and a few others. And I sit in those queues, and sit, and sit and then the RA's are off cool down and I queue for those again.

While I don't agree with what Cryptic is doing to the queues, I also realize that anything I say as an individual will probably have zero impact on what they do. But my voice added onto the others who dislike this change, maybe then something may happen. Time will tell and as much as I dislike the changes, I will keep playing. How much remains to be seen.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Other reason.
    Bad or Boring mission design.
    Timegates making mission take too long.

Also: queues are wildly inconsistent in the rewards they do give.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Other reason.
    Mostly these:

* Seeing a lack of players queuing puts me off doing so myself -- not wanting to sit for 10 minutes twiddling my thumbs
    * Bugs leaving missions impossible to finish (e.g. Azure rescue)
    * Laziness, not wanting to learn a new queue ahead of time but also not wanting to be a bad team member because of that
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Other reason.
    Its a combination of things for me.

Mostly lack of people though. I enjoy a few of the ones that don't pop because they're a nice change of pace, and I find them fun. I like ground content just as much as I do space. But when the ONLY things that pop are the faceroll easy Space STFs... It does get a bit boring running the exact same things over and over and over...

Hell... even a frickin' Fleet Alert would break the tedium. But nope! No one wants to run Fleet Alert when you can just run Infected!
    *facedesk*

And frankly I really don't like how people suggest making "universal marks" as if it would solve all our problems. It won't. It will make them 100x worse because then there is absolutely NO reason to run anything ever again except Infected. Who needs to do something actually CONNECTED with that rep, like say fighting the Voth or Iconians, when you can just faceroll the same old Borg over and over and over and over...

I admit I used the Red Alerts myself for marks, but mostly because it was the only way I COULD get specific marks for certain reps. After I finish and get everything I want... its all just for fun. Maybe later on I decide to get some new rep gear. But for the most part its not just the rewards, its the fun. But right now I'm just about at the point I can do Infected in my sleep. Good team? Cakewalk.

Starting to feel like the only time Infected gets interesting is if we got a couple subpar builds combined with decent ones.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Other reason.
    Voted 'Other Reason' as I could only pick one... So here we go!

- Most of them are either badly or boringly designed
    - I really don't like the Lottery you play there with failure being an option and literally wasting 30+ Minutes
    - During the Week I don't have much time to play, so Queues were out of the question anyway
    - I don't like playing certain "Must Have" builds or be forced into certain Equipment
    - Too much effort for too little reward (Rep Grind is awful as it is)
    - The absolute toxic and stressful community that permeates these competitive efforts is a complete and utter turn off
    - I am not that good of a player and I don't want to be forced to "learn to play", I play for fun with a little bit of advancement, this is not going to be a second job
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I can get rewards easier elsewhere (RA's, Admiralty, DOFFS)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I admit I used the Red Alerts myself for marks, but mostly because it was the only way I COULD get specific marks for certain reps.
    Yeah really, Comp rep queues died almost immediately after those marks became available in the Red Alerts. At that point if you want to finish the rep what choice do you have?

This is why too much choice is bad. If you let people get the reward they want through any method they want they pick whatever is quickest and easiest and everything else is ignored.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I admit I used the Red Alerts myself for marks, but mostly because it was the only way I COULD get specific marks for certain reps.
    Yeah really, Comp rep queues died almost immediately after those marks became available in the Red Alerts. At that point if you want to finish the rep what choice do you have?

This is why too much choice is bad. If you let people get the reward they want through any method they want they pick whatever is quickest and easiest and everything else is ignored.

Yes this is so very true. The Comp. Rep was in a tough place right off the bat but once those marks could be acquired from just shooting some unrelated Borg they died completely. Which in itself was ridiculous as they actually paid out pretty well and weren't terrible difficult, especially the elite versions.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I dislike social content and prefer solo gaming in STO
    Secondary reason - I've no wish to inflict my bad gameplay on 4 other people. If you're going to join a group for an activity, you should be prepared to support the group properly. I wouldn't, so I don't join groups, so as not to let them down.

• Options
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Secondary reason - I've no wish to inflict my bad gameplay on 4 other people. If you're going to join a group for an activity, you should be prepared to support the group properly. I wouldn't, so I don't join groups, so as not to let them down.
    L2P nub! :p

Seriously though learning ground combat is like learning space combat. It just has slightly different rules.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

Honestly, you could come play with me in a run anytime and i'd not care if we all burned and failed. As long as we had a laugh and enjoyed it who cares if we don't succeed all the time. I'm not bothered how bad someone feels they are, as long as they know what to do and give it a try then it's all fine in my books.
    Never let how you feel about your abilities stop you trying something out.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Honestly, you could come play with me in a run anytime and i'd not care if we all burned and failed. As long as we had a laugh and enjoyed it who cares if we don't succeed all the time. I'm not bothered how bad someone feels they are, as long as they know what to do and give it a try then it's all fine in my books.
    Never let how you feel about your abilities stop you trying something out.
    Yeah, failure is part of learning, the important part is to learn.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Pretty much because other than a few queues they're empty...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Bad or Boring mission design.

Hey I really hope you do not feel that way. Everybody started somewhere and this game leaves so increasable much room to make up for others or help your team mates in PvE that this should not be an issue. Just play and feel good about it. If you notice your contribution feels not enough for you try to get better over time. The right players will understand and help you gladly with that and after some time you will be the one helping others. B)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The only Queue I really liked running was the full length Breach mission. Deciding which ship had the punch to take on the Dreadnoughts and was quick enough to make it through the ship after the core explodes.

If that still existed I'd play it for 100 marks (a choice of marks, I know thematically it's Dyson but it's a lot of work so justifies any marks).

I've never cared for the Borg STFs because the Borg are dull. I dragged myself into the ground ones to try and get that advanced armour (which I was one mission short of by the time they removed it from the game :/ )​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    - People are lazy at queueing
    - Working in PUGS has no teamwork. You usually carry 3 to 4 leeches who can't even throw a heal on you when you grab all of the threat.
    - The new class of dps-chasers is a colored palette of snowflakes - with its exceptions
    - Reward/Time/Effort don't scale in my favor
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Other reason.
    I'm an MMO vet, played more of them over the years than I care to remember, got to end game in most of them, PVP, group dungeons, raids, done it all.
    The dynamics of the player base started to really change, more and more players were turning up that just wanted to be carried through the content, more and more trolls were turning up determined to ruin everyone elses fun, and of course gankers were turning up in droves to ruin PVP.

So to save my blood pressure and my knuckles, I made the decision back in 2010 to stop doing group content.

That's why I don't do any of them in STO.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The rewards, always the rewards. There is nothing unique, it's all just dilithium and I can get enough of that from Admiralty.
This discussion has been closed.